A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

NL Manager of the Year: Bud Black?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 18, 2010

Someone is gonna have to explain this too me. Granted, he kept his team in first place for more days than Bochy did. And he did improve his team by 15 games from 2009. But there is no way in Hell that Bud Black was a better manager than Bochy in 2010. Even if you give him the credit of winning with a team no one expected to compete, he basically just went on auto pilot once the 7th inning started. And while he had no answers for his team’s 10 game losing streak meltdown, Bochy was calmly and skillfully pushing all the right buttons, sketching out weird LU after weird LU to ultimately overtake Black’s team on the final day of the season— and isn’t that what counts the most????And Dusty Baker took 2nd place? Actually, I could see Baker deserving more points than Black since his team actually made the playoffs, did NOT melt down the way the Padres did, and he did it with a pretty bad pitching staff…….

Whatever, I’m sure Bochy could care less but in my opinion he was the NL MOY with votes to spare……..

1. Giant Head said, on November 18, 2010 at 7:08 am

This is the one vote that should happen after the playoffs….a manager in the playoffs a truer test of his abilities. Baker then would never have won when he managed us. Bochy hands down was the manager of the year.

I thought Black may have been manager of the first half, but the collapse did not change votes?

• max808 said, on November 18, 2010 at 7:45 am

Disagree there. It should be based on 162 games, not the playoffs where anything can happen. By your reasoning, La Russa is MOY in 2006.

• Giant Head said, on November 18, 2010 at 11:30 am

I cant remember that far…

2. San Dog said, on November 18, 2010 at 7:11 am

I got no problem with Black winning this. Dude took a crap a roster with a $40 million payroll and damn near made the playoffs.

3. Flavor said, on November 18, 2010 at 7:40 am

Oh, I give him credit. He won with a LU of a bunch of “Shooty Babbits”. But his pitching staff was rock solid, especially his BP. And I would think the mark of a skilled manager would be to keep his team from losing 10 in a row during a critical time of the season. All I’m saying is, I didn’t see him pulling off any sweet moves that made me go, “Wow, Bud Black is a fucking genius!”….

4. xootsuit said, on November 18, 2010 at 7:45 am

Bochy was brilliant all year long, but it didn’t become clear just how brilliant until the post season. His rubik’s cube lineups, his willingness to bench guys who were scufflin and talent for playing guys who were hot when they were hot, and his handling of the staff, in retrospect, constitute an epic masterpiece of managing. But on the last day of the season, when the Padres fell just short of the playoffs, Black looked good too. So I guess I understand why the writers made the mistake they made. Anyway, I’m sure Bochy is happy with the way things turned out. And so are we.

5. TedSpe said, on November 18, 2010 at 7:50 am

It’s kind of like the Oscars. They’re not always given to the actual best performance. Sometimes it more like:

a) “Wow. I didn’t think you had it in you.” (See: Julia Roberts)
    b) ” Bochy’s already got one” (See: Meryl Streep not winning in decades)
    c) “You’ve been around for a while. You’ve done better but we always liked you. Fuck it”(See: Al Pacino)

• blade3colorado said, on November 18, 2010 at 8:40 am

Or Arnold and Sly always “bofo” box office in the 80s and 90s, but never sniffing an Oscar. Same with Indiana Jones and Star Wars pictures . . . Instead, an “art” movie and some dude/dudette ya never heard of get the Oscar nods.

• TedSpe said, on November 18, 2010 at 10:59 am

Well, technically Sly, Star Wars and Indiana Jones have “sniffed” Oscar. But I get your point. And some in Hollywood feel having 10 Best Picture nominations, as they do now, instead of the usual 5 will fix this problem.

6. San Dog said, on November 18, 2010 at 8:00 am

Speaking of pulling off some sweet moves…….Flav have you come over to the dark side and become a Glee fan? Gwyneth Paltrow brought it the other night.

7. Kevin said, on November 18, 2010 at 8:28 am

Have only been here occasionally lately, very busy at work, a friend sent me this link on an article about B Belt

• zumarust said, on November 18, 2010 at 8:44 am

If Belt can take the firstbase job in Spring Training, put Huff in the outfield, and we’re set. Is it too early for a lineup?
      Torres, cf
      Franchez, 2b
      Huff, lf
      Posey, c
      Ross, rf
      Belt, 1b
      Sandoval/Uribe/De Rosa, 3b
      Uribe/Renteria/Burriss, ss
      The best starting pitching staff in MLB, P

• blade3colorado said, on November 18, 2010 at 8:47 am

Thanks Kevin . . . Does anyone (Twin?) know the type of players that comprise the AFL, e.g., Triple A, Double A, etc.? Thanks . . .

• alleykat said, on November 18, 2010 at 10:36 am

Blade, Each August MLB clubs hold a position draft to determine the players who go to Arizona.And yes it’s mostly Double A and Triple A players.And it’s usually the teams top rated prospects that go.The AFL are not exclusive affiliates on any one team,instead each ML team provides 7 players who team up to fill the 35 man roster of each team.

8. twinfan said, on November 18, 2010 at 8:31 am

The horrible LU, the payroll, Black deserved it. Which is not saying Bochy didn’t. But by the EOY he DID have the best team and having the best team rarely wins the manager MOY. As we’ve all noted: I think he’ll take the ring…

9. zumarust said, on November 18, 2010 at 8:46 am

I have to admit, I’ve never liked that Sports Illustrated cover. What a wimpy kid. “It’s an earthquake- hold me, Millionaire father of mine.” Gee, in Candlestick Park, I think a few small flecks of old cement fell off.

10. Flavor said, on November 18, 2010 at 9:00 am

San Dog— no. In fact, I believe I gave any and all of you free reign to come find me and punch me in the face, twice, if I ever watched a show called “Glee”– no clue what it’s about…..
    ZUMIE—agreed about the cover. But, it’s from ’89. Don’t rain on my creative parade…..
    TWIN— the mic works better if it’s actually plugged in….Doh!

• SanDog said, on November 18, 2010 at 11:27 am

….only a matter time before Little Flavor has daddy watching Glee on a regular basis.

11. twinfan said, on November 18, 2010 at 9:07 am

I was testing you, Craig. By my estimation you figgered it out in three hours less than it would have taken Chuckles. Congrats!

12. Macdog said, on November 18, 2010 at 9:40 am

When Bochy caught Mattingly on a technicality and got Broxton out of the game, that alone should’ve clinched the MOY. But hey, when a team with a crap lineup that no one, especially here, expected to do much of anything ends up leading the division most of the season and takes it to the very last day, the manager’s gonna get the award every time. And the Pads did go 12-6 vs. the Giants, most of those very close games, so Black must’ve been doing something right. Black can have that consolation prize. I’ll take our Manager of the NLDS, NLCS and World Series.

13. stixwiz said, on November 18, 2010 at 9:44 am

Hahh, heh, heh. Been reading some N.Y. Times baseball coverage from October. Friend of mine has a subscription and i usually get them about a month old. Fine by me as usually its the crossword puzzle and some features which i find to be of interest. News articles are a matter of managed perception by the Cabal for the higher managerial class.

Still basking, you see. A cold day in late November and reading those pieces on the Giants in the “paper of record” makes the Northwoods of Minnesota seem like Hawaii. Just got back to their coverage of baseball’s “final four” and although the Giants got shorter shrift than the other three, it was nice reading it with the foreknowledge of the outcome. Hahh, heh, heh.

Would have been nice if Bochy had copped the MOY, but like TF pointed out, he’s probably plenty happy with the cake, even if Black scarfed up the frosting. Recalling all those years, particularly in the 60’s, when i glommed onto the stats and the individual awards, cause that was all the Giants were getting. This go-round they took the Big Kahuna. No need for greed.

Kevin, glad you reminded us of the “official” site and their piece on Brandon Belt. Don’t know if The Freak has noticed it yet, but the Giants’ Uber-prospect will turn 23 on 4-20. Maybe the kid doesn’t indulge. No matter. It will be good for a chuckle.

Later gang. Keep on basking. I’m off to haul some firewood.

14. TedSpe said, on November 18, 2010 at 11:27 am

Well, apparently 13 wins *is* enough to win a CY

15. Flavor said, on November 18, 2010 at 11:36 am

Felix Hernandez winning the CY is a historic vote. It means the voters have rejected W/L’s in favor of advanced metrics. That’s awesome…….

16. delmardennis said, on November 18, 2010 at 11:48 am

Did Jeff Loria screw Cody Ross outta his Ferrari? Plenty of semantics involved, but a bigger man would have upheld his word. He could buy another damn car.

17. Giant Head said, on November 18, 2010 at 11:49 am

Did you all catch the reference to Uribe wanting to wait to sign until Jeter does and sets the market??? WTF are you thinking Juan?

That will take weeks for the Yanks and Jeter to settle and I thought $5 mill for two years was generous foir you. If he thinks he can get Renteria’s contract, I would think Sabean will be ready to move on. Bartlett making about $4 mill should set Uribe’s market value…Cody should not expect more than $4 mill either…

• wswin said, on November 18, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Cody made more than that this year…..

18. blade3colorado said, on November 18, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Thanks AlleyKat for the info on the AFL (I had no idea about how they filled the fall league rosters).

19. Unca Chuck said, on November 18, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Jeter’s 37. I really wonder what he takes . . . if he’s gunning for a 5 year deal. good luck.

The Yanks are already on record to say they won’t do him any big favors.

I nmean, really. They have to watch their payroll.

20. wswin said, on November 18, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Flav has a backer on Bochy being MOY…

• Giant Head said, on November 18, 2010 at 12:31 pm

would be interesting for someone to go back to those writers and ask if they would have a different vote if they cast it after the playoffs……

21. Giant Head said, on November 18, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Jeter should be happy to get 3 years and $15 mill…to think he deserves more at that age is really obnoxious on his part…

• Unca Chuck said, on November 18, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Has Jeter said what he thinks he deserves?

I haven’t seen anything . . .

• delmardennis said, on November 18, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I’m pretty sure the Yanks are willing to go 3 yrs. at $21M per. Jeter wants a 4 or 5 yr. deal.
        The nerve of some people.

• Giant Head said, on November 18, 2010 at 1:00 pm

just what one can pick up in the press is that his agents are pushing for 5 years and maybe closer to $100 mill plus…

22. delmardennis said, on November 18, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Giants swami angle in the 7th at GGF. #2 horse is Cut Fastball. #4 is McCovey Cove.
    Swing and a miss or a splash landing? I wish I knew who was up at bat. With my luck it’s probably Joe Pettini.

23. Flavor said, on November 18, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Bartlett is about to get traded to Balt for David hernandez. Shit, if that’s all he costs I’d step in and try to get him for us.

24. Flavor said, on November 18, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Bartlett was born and raised in mountain view. Sweet. True he didn’t have a very good yr last year but buy fucking low, man! Alex hinshaw and Jesus guzman would do it…

25. TedSpe said, on November 18, 2010 at 1:51 pm

ANother factor in the Bochy VS Black thing is we forget, the Giants came in 3rd in 2009 but at least they had a winning record. San Diego made a *huge* turnaround in 2010 and *just* missed the PS

26. Unca Chuck said, on November 18, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Shit, I still get giddy about this. Was travelling last weekend, and got ONE high five from a guy from Modesto who saw my Giants hat. Course we were in Fla at the time.

Crazy thing is, I just heard Posey was heading to the Fla keys this week.

We were in Key Largo LAST week. Damn!!!!

Would have been a major highlight to bump into him down there . . .

• TedSpe said, on November 18, 2010 at 2:40 pm

…or Lauren Bacall

27. Flavor said, on November 18, 2010 at 2:46 pm

she’s 86……

• TedSpe said, on November 18, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Yeah. I know. It’s just the Key Largo thing. See, her and Humphrey Bogart made a…nevermind.
      Oh. And speaking of 86, thanks for the 86ing of that troll earlier. Sheesh

28. Flavor said, on November 18, 2010 at 3:27 pm

H-boag railed away on that chick for the better part of a decade…..

29. Flavor said, on November 18, 2010 at 3:32 pm

I still don’t know WTF that guy was even talking about.

30. TedSpe said, on November 18, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I’ve heard that term he used before “I’ve forgotten more about (fill in the blank) then you’ll ever learn in a lifetime” but I don’t see how it applied to my posts

31. zumarust said, on November 18, 2010 at 3:42 pm

“San Diego made a *huge* turnaround in 2010 and *just* missed the PS”

Well, that’s the thing. The manager of the year often gets rewarded for having a lousy previous season.

• TedSpe said, on November 18, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Unless they acquired a couple Lincecum or Pujols caliber guys later, yes it is often the case

32. Flavor said, on November 18, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Black definitely had a plan: scratch out and manfacture enough runs to lead going to the 7th. Turn it over to his rock solid bp after that. Hey, his guys bought into it. Tip ‘o the cap to him. But bochy was the MOY, IMO..

33. TedSpe said, on November 18, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Yeah, Bochy could just as easily been MOY. Oddly, he was a *distant* 3rd place.

34. San Dog said, on November 18, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Just for shits and giggles, lets pretend that Jeter and The Yanks got deep into a stalemate and he decided to go elsewhere for one year to re-prove himself.
    ( I know, I know, it would never happen in a million years) ….but just for fun—-what is the top dollar you would be comfortable with the Giants paying him for a one year deal?
    I’d pay him $12 mill.

35. Unca Chuck said, on November 18, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Yeah, it was more of the “God, these guys suck. They won’t do anything this year, either” and the surprise therein . . .

The Giants were picked to be a fair-to-middling team. They went over that, but not as drastic as Cincy and SD.

36. Unca Chuck said, on November 18, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Not too worried about it. Bochy gets the biggest prize by far. One that Bud Black, Dusty Baker, and a million other coaches would gladly give up for a WS ring . . .

Just bought daughter #2 a Buster Posey jersey for her 18th b-day. She’ll be very happy . . .

37. twinfan said, on November 18, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Jeter (on merit) is worth waaaaaaaaaaaaay LESS than Uribe, get a fucking klue, Doggie. Juan is right to wait it out.

38. San Dog said, on November 18, 2010 at 4:57 pm

C’mon Twin, give me a number for Jeter for a year.

39. Flavor said, on November 18, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Not interested at any price in jeter. I watched probably 50-60 Yankee games last year. It was obvious that his defense has frantically slipped. He seemed to hit inti 1000 double plays. He’s a first ballot hof, no doubt. But for the same $$$$ I still take Juan uribe over him..

40. Flavor said, on November 18, 2010 at 5:00 pm

That should say dramatically, not frantically. Seriously, if I’ve got 10 mil to spend on one of them for a year, I go uribe over jeter every time

41. San Dog said, on November 18, 2010 at 5:02 pm

OK, I get it. You guys think Uribe is a better shortstop than Jeter. Let’s say Uribe signs elsewhere and Jeter knocks on your door and says make me your best offer. I don’t wanna hear that you’d rather have Bartlett, or Brignac, or Mark Belanger. What are you comfortable paying Jeter?

42. Flavor said, on November 18, 2010 at 5:06 pm

there’s no realistic number that I’d pay Jeter for one year. 3 million? Ok, 3 million. I’m serious, you should have watched him play day in and day out. He sucked. Maybe he was hurt but I wouldn’t gamble on this guy at the end of his career. Remember when we signed (or traded for?) OJ Simpson? It would be a little like that…….

43. TedSpe said, on November 18, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Just for shits and giggles on my part, I just looked up Jeter’s stats. You know what? His lifetime batting avg (.314) is exactly what it was when *he* won RoY.
    I think it’s a sign. Retire. Doesn’t need the money and there’s an historical significance/good vibe to playing your entire career on one team.

44. twinfan said, on November 18, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Look at his fucking numbers. I’d pay the cocksucker 3 miillon… as Craig said.

45. San Dog said, on November 18, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Thanks for playing along and giving me a fucking number. The headline of the Chronicle tomorrow says “Giants sign Jeter to $3 million dollar deal” and you nod your head approvingly. I dig it.
    Nice analogy with OJ, by the way…

• TedSpe said, on November 18, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Yeah. Great analogy with OJ. I mean, if the Giants sign Jeter, he’ll end up decapitating his wife!!

46. Flavor said, on November 18, 2010 at 5:17 pm

yes, for 3 mil I nod my head approvingly. I can only imagine what a team is going to overpay for what that dude has done on the back of his baseball card. I like Derek Jeter, I admire his game and the way he’s played the game. But there are better, more realistic options out there for us…..

47. San Dog said, on November 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm

I’m fine with Uribe and the Burriss Gang playing short for us next year. The only thing I feel strongly about is that they respectfully, graciously, and kindly show Rent the door.

48. Flavor said, on November 18, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Rent probably wouldn’t choose sf either. He’ll go back and do a swan song with the cardinals or the marlins….

• twinfan said, on November 18, 2010 at 6:00 pm

He’s already said he’d like to retire as a Card or Marlin.
      “The only thing I feel strongly about is that they respectfully, graciously, and kindly show Rent the door.” You were OK until the door schtick, Doggie.

49. twinfan said, on November 18, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I’ll bid you guys adieu for a day or two. Fight nice.

50. delmardennis said, on November 18, 2010 at 6:32 pm

As of right now, best guess who opens up at SS next year?

I’d have to say he’s not even in our organization as of now.

This Thurs. night game isn’t the greatest football I’ve ever seen. The Fish’s offense w/ Thigpen at QB is horrible. Makes the Niners look like “Air Coryell.”

51. San Dog said, on November 18, 2010 at 7:16 pm

I think Emmanuel Burriss will be the opening day shortstop with Uribe at 3rd, Pablo in Fresneck, and Rent kicking it old school somewhere in Colombia.

52. Flavor said, on November 18, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Pablo could easily start the season in Fresno. Remember, I recommended that he do just that back in July. Let’s see if he can even hit AAA pitching anymore. Shit, Dontrelle Willis can’t even succeed at A ball. Sometimes, you just lose it. Probably for a number of reasons…….

53. Flavor said, on November 18, 2010 at 7:41 pm

After kicking it around all day in my head, I can really only think of one thing bochy fucked upvon this yr: his obsession with playing an unproductive guillen while Ross languished on the bench. There may have been other things outside of bochys control that contributed to that. But really, that was his only consistent bad mistake last year.

54. San Dog said, on November 18, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Yeah, that was a bad move playing Guillen so much down the stretch. Although I gotta say that I don’t know if Sabes and Bochy have gotten all the props they deserve for leaving both Zito and Guillen off the post-season roster. I don’t think any of us saw that coming that both of those guys would be out. (Many of us wanted it to happen, but I think even Baggs was shocked by the move) Very gutsy call that obviously paid off in a huge way.

I’m off to bed—fighting a cold.

See if you can find it in your heart overnight to give Jeter 5 or 6 mill Flav. He’d look damn good in an SFG uni.

55. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 18, 2010 at 8:55 pm

On the Jeter negotiations, the Yanks lose either by grossly overpaying him or by alienating their fan base by not signing a popular player (which they’ve done before and survived: Ruth, Bernie Williams, Damon, Matsui, et al.) So, it’ll be fun to watch. And I don’t want Jeter either, thank you.

Here’s Part IV, though I want to put some pix in and so far Blogger won’t let me:

56. twinfan said, on November 18, 2010 at 9:34 pm

You’re forgetting that Ross was less productive initially. You’re caling it a mistake to choose between two non-producers.. well, 4, if you count Rowand and Nate…

57. twinfan said, on November 18, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Goodnight. Getting a chest/abdomen CT tomorrow. Don’t expect anything untoward. Then a massage, try dilantin instead of Keppra Hell… We’ll see.