A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Big Game Day

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 20, 2010

Sorry, most of you won’t care about this thread. I don’t hate too many teams. I hate USC. They’re easily in the top spot. After that it’s Cal. And I really don’t have a third most-hated team. I guess it’s the Dodgers. My hate for them started kicking up pretty good last season after a fairly long hiatus…..

I don’t hate the Cal TEAM as much as I hate their fans. And I obviously don’t hate individuals, some of my closest friends are Cal fans (although there is one specific individual I wouldn’t mind running into again). The last time I was at Memorial Stadium was the 1982 Big Game. I won’t waste words describing the unlikely and completely bullshit details of the end of that game. All I remember is leaving the stadium with my dad, pretty much in shock, and as we got to our car this huge Cal fan (he was probably a normal sized man but he seemed huge to me, I was just a kid)  jumps in front of me (not my dad), sticks both his ‘fingers’ in front of my face and yells “Fuck you Stanford fan!!!!”. My dad ran his drunk ass off but when I think about that game it was that asshole pussy who I remember, not that bullshit play at the end of the game. Over the years, I’ve always noticed the difference between Stanford fans (in general) and Cal fans (in general). Stanford fans are the fans who aren’t wearing the “Fuck Stanford” tee shirts to games for all the little kids to see……

Anyway, got a buddy driving all night from Portland to get here in time for the game. Looking forward to a good ol’ fashioned beat down, Cardinal style………

1. twinfan said, on November 20, 2010 at 7:37 am

No reason, I just think Cal wins. ..
    on last night’s thread, I agree with Z. Teaching kids ways to exploit technicaliities is just not the life lesson I think they need to be learning. Now: if it got him laid… OK,then.

2. TedSpe said, on November 20, 2010 at 7:47 am

Flav, in my case, in your opening sentence you’re right *and* wrong.
    Right:I couldn’t give half a shit about Cal or Stanford or the Big Game
    Wrong:That’s a funny fucking story

How did the prick or why did the prick assume you were for Stanford?

• xootsuit said, on November 20, 2010 at 8:03 am

Stanford fans wear red. You will see many thousands of them walking from the shattuck bart station upthe hill about two hours from now. Stanford by ten but not easily. One of my colleagues was in the Stanford band in 82. He has an alibi. He still wont tell people publicly who he thinks fucked up

• Flavor said, on November 20, 2010 at 8:25 am

the refs fucked up. There were what, about 6 plays where the Cal player could have been called down? Oh whatever, it was 28 years ago, I let this all go a long time ago (like in the last couple of years 🙂 )

• Flavor said, on November 20, 2010 at 8:16 am

my dad and I were wearing stanford gear, maybe just hats, I can’t recall.

3. Flavor said, on November 20, 2010 at 8:21 am

And I’m fully prepared to eat a giant plate of shit both here, on facebook and in front of my 3-D Cal friends if Cal somehow pulls this off. And I’m not just being a fan when I say this: Stanford destroys the spread today (6.5). I’ll say 31-6 but if I’m wrong about the Cal # I’ll still be right about the margin of victory in the end!!!!!!!!!!!

4. twinfan said, on November 20, 2010 at 8:33 am

I’ll watch this one, I rarely watch college ball anymore. Haven’t seen Luck much so that will be interesting… speaking of QBs-which Smith ends the season as the Niner QB? Troy? Alex? Neither? I think Alex could be the QB again as early as tomorrow sometime. And I still think they’l win the division… he sez as he props up his Smithy doll…

5. Macdog said, on November 20, 2010 at 8:34 am

Continuing with the sportsmanship theme, here’s another of a dubious role model concerning high school football in Connecticut: tinyurl.com/23dqmqy

Went to a Big Game back in ’89 at Stanford. I thought it was a fairly benign atmosphere, pretty laid back really. Probably because both teams weren’t very good.

6. Macdog said, on November 20, 2010 at 8:35 am

Ooops: let’s try http://tinyurl.com/23dqmqy

7. Flavor said, on November 20, 2010 at 8:35 am

the thing about the Troy Smith thing is this: I’m tired of Singletary’s smug attitude about everything. He fell completely back assward into this guy and now he’s at his press conferences this week bragging about “the correct decisions we’ve made”. Fuck him.

8. max808 said, on November 20, 2010 at 8:56 am

I thought Kurt Warner’s comments were interesting, noting Troy Smith does well when things breakdown, but saying he needs to prove he can throw consistently when he’s contained within the pocket. Alex seems the opposite. A guy who doesn’t do well when forced to improvise.

I’m betting the weather will be a factor in keeping Stanford from blowing out Cal.

9. ewisco said, on November 20, 2010 at 9:04 am

When i was a kid, i’d ride my bike to stanford and sit in the endzone for a buck and watch plunkett to vataha. Was there in 82 (just found my ticket stub so i have proof). that was the year the whole orange thing started. stanford was going to go to the orange bowl if they won so the classy cal fans were throwing oranges at them. years later, they were firing oranges from the top of the stadium using surgical tubing slingshots. how no one got killed is beyond me. an incredibly stupid “tradition” by the cal fans. also the quality of the “student” athletes they “graduate” is appalling. ever hear marshawn lynch speak? or chuck muncie? If i was a cal grad, i’d be pissed.

10. twinfan said, on November 20, 2010 at 9:08 am

Actually, Smith (Alex) has been best when improvising, that was noted by Collinsworth in the NO game, I believe. Thing is: Sing is right about one thing, or at least he hit a button by mistake: Alex needs to get MAD. And he needs to tell VD to shut the fuck up. You’re the fucking captain, Alex. VD is a lieutenant, or should be. It’s not a good look when the fucking tight end is talking about propping up his QB…
    Most likely scenario: Alex Smith moves on to some place like AZ next year and beats Niner ass… Holmgren takes over, drafts a QB, signs a vet to start…

• delmardennis said, on November 20, 2010 at 9:41 am

You need to let the Alex Smith shit go. Here’s the problem. He won’t ever get MAD. He won’t ever tell VD to shut the fuck up. That’s not him, not his makeup. He doesn’t take chances. He doesn’t like to rock the boat. He’s most comfortable checking it down to Gore or throwing it outta bounds. He’s a captain in name only. Another failed move made by Singletary to help boost up his ego.

The six year Alex Smith experiment is over and done with. Time to move on.
      Nothing, and I mean nothing to see here.

• twinfan said, on November 20, 2010 at 10:22 am

Bucking Jack Crabby is rarely a profitable endeavour on any level… one would think that my calm assurances throughout this baseball season would have taught the DenMeister by now…

11. delmardennis said, on November 20, 2010 at 9:28 am

I’m not ashamed to say: I HATE Cal. Why? ]Simple. Because I’m a Stanford fan. Same reason i HATE the A’s. Because I’m a Giants fan. Same reason I HATE the Raiders. I’m a Niners fans. There doesn’t need to be any rhyme or reason, it’s just something I have to do.

Stanford 37 Cal 20 Go hug a tree.

12. zumarust said, on November 20, 2010 at 9:41 am

Nice article, Mac. I do have a strong appreciation for how much pressure is on coach’s to win, even at the youth levels. I appreciate that there are people willing to take on the often thankless job of coaching. But it doesn’t give them the right to be a-holes, and make a mockery of the concept of fair competition.
    The thing I remember the most about my 6th grade little league coach is one day, when the sun was bad in leftfield, he let me wear his sunglasses, and it helped me make a catch in the first inning. As I was running off the field after the inning, the other team’s leftfielder ran up to me and asked if he could use the sunglasses. They weren’t my glasses so I asked my coach. He paused for a moment, and obviously considered the competitive ramifications, and said “no.” I had to go tell the kid “no.” Every fiber in me knew it was wrong. The coach had a chance to be an example at that moment, and he failed the moment. Coaches have moments like that all the time, that they might not even be aware of. Later in life, when I was doing some coaching, I tried not to fail those moments.

13. zumarust said, on November 20, 2010 at 9:54 am

Coaching is a tough job. When you lose a blowout in any sport, you literally feel like someone ran out there and pulled your pants down in front of everybody. I understand the competitive fire that burns. No wonder Singeltary pulled his trousers down at halftime of a game. He was trying to show his team what he felt like as their coach at that moment. When things are going bad, the coach becomes the focal point. I’ve coached sports with parents a few feet behind me, and once in a while one of them would be trying to shout instructions to their kid that conflict my instructions. But I was always pleased that by the end of the season, the parents were in my camp, and they understood finally that the most important goal at that level of youth sports wasn’t just winning, it was teaching their kids to be better, more fundamentally sound, players, and learning how to be part of a team, and learning to stay committed to a team, and a team concept. I wasn’t the greatest coach around. I got out-played sometimes by the other coaches on the Xs and Os. But I was very pleased that my teams were always better at the end of the season. THAT was the most satisfying thing about coaching to me. To see the improvement. Sometimes that translated into a winning record, and sometimes it didn’t.

14. TedSpe said, on November 20, 2010 at 10:19 am

Still don’t care about the theme of this blog.
    College sports.
    Who gives half a fuck unless your parents had enough money to send you to college? Mine didn’t.
    From Bruce Jenkins’ 3-Dot Lounge this morning:
    “Nothing against Bud Black or Ron Gardenhire, but the real managers of the year are Bruce Bochy and Ron Washington. And everyone knows it…….
    Cody Ross to the Miami Herald about people recognizing him around San Francisco:
    “I can’t walk 10 feet without a ‘thank you’ or ‘congratulations’. You feel Paul McCartney-ish”

15. stixwiz said, on November 20, 2010 at 10:54 am

With you on that, Ted. There’s baseball and then there’s jocktivities.

16. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 20, 2010 at 11:58 am

For a bunch of reasons, rational and irrational, teams I, um, strongly dislike (sounds so much healthier), in order (which can change): Yanks, Dodgers, Rockies, Cowboys, Lakers, Must Be Others. Going to UConn @ SU football game tonight. Free ticket. Lukewarm interest in any football, though SU’s days of Ernie Davis, Floyd Little, Larry Csonka are distant past. Hmmm. USC. SU’s AD, Daryl Gross, excuse me, Dr. Gross, came from there. I don’t much care, since I’m not an SU alum and SU acts like it owns this town, which it nearly does, tax-free, and it’s simply a school for rich kids (stereotyping) whose mommies and daddies have buckets of cash from NJ or CT or LI, but the kids, poor Seth and Mandy, could not get into Ivy League.

17. alleykat said, on November 20, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Cal’s won 7 of the last 8 Big games,Tedford’s obviously in their heads with his ability to out coach Stanford in these games.But with that said and this being Andrew Luck and Jim Harbaugh’s last Big Game,as both move on to the pros IMHO,they will go out winners and knock off Cal 27-10.Can’t see Cal’s QB Brock Manion( how many starts has he had 2?) moving the Bears downfield consistently against Stanford defense.

18. max808 said, on November 20, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Weather no factor. Looks like the rout is on.

A lot of talk about Harbaugh going to the Pros (maybe the 49er’s) but it’s no given the success he’s had at Stanford will carry over. Might be another Spurrier or Saban.

19. xootsuit said, on November 20, 2010 at 1:50 pm

When I coached LLeague, I encountered the full range of coaches, from the most competitive to the least. None of the hyper-competitive coaches were as bad as the worst parents, however. Some of them came down onto the field and joined arguments with the umpires.

My prediction for the big game was great, for the first quarter. I don’t think the Cal players took this challenge seriously. After the bonfire last night, they all just got drunk and stoned and, of course, laid.

btw, Jeff Kent’s involved in raising $10MM to save the Cal baseball program. The alumni group involved has $5MM already. Wonder what that freshman pitcher I know will do? Unfortunately, if he has any sense, he’ll take the offer he got from another UC campus and tell Cal to fuck off. Bad situation all around.

20. delmardennis said, on November 20, 2010 at 1:56 pm

This just in: Andrew Luck ain’t too shabby. He’s putting on a goddamn QB clinic.

21. twinfan said, on November 20, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Twinfan declared:
    “No reason, I just think Cal wins. ..”
    The Forensic Bowl

22. twinfan said, on November 20, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Moment of truth: first boot. When I hear the “post beep”, the world is good.

23. max808 said, on November 20, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Hardest job on the field belongs to the Cal cheerleaders. Yikes.

24. Flavor said, on November 20, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Stanford’s not lookin too whimpy, are they?

• xootsuit said, on November 20, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Cal’s looking wimpy. Stanford’s looking ok.

25. twinfan said, on November 20, 2010 at 3:02 pm

In the contest so far ( want more) for the choice of gamer or HTPC:
    Ted, Craig, Paul, Blade, Chuckles, Sarge, Zumie, Bozo, GHead, MacDog, SportDude… Craig, MacDog, SportDude, Blade are not eligible for the PC, would get a certificate. Also, a giftie goes out next week for Belt’s BA as of tomorrow night 8:00 Pacific here:

• blade3colorado said, on November 20, 2010 at 4:39 pm

It is truly amazing that more people are not entering this contest or the others in the past that Twin has set up. When Twin started this last year, a “light” went on in my head for two reasons: A. Twin established his credentials in “geekland” by virtue of his numerous pc related posts, i.e., I knew he was an expert in hardware/software, etc.; and, B. I did the math – at most, 20-25 people entering the contests, means that you could be a complete baseball idiot and still have an UNFRICKINGBELIEVABLE CHANCE AT WINNING THE GRAND PRIZE.

So, thank you Twin for your generosity . . . I have one of your speed burners and am truly impressed, albeit, I didn’t really get a chance to familiarize myself with it due to being on this 3 State road trip. Consequently, I can’t wait until I get home after Thanksgiving to fire it up again. To you Giants fans “lurking” here or too shy to post, get on board and introduce yourselve’s to us . . . Not certain what Twin’s pre-requisites for entering the contests are, except to post regularly here, but he is not the “boogeyman” and besides, you aren’t officially part of this blog, until he calls you a “fuckwad.”

‘Nuff Said.

• TedSpe said, on November 20, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Well said, blade. Hell, even if you don’t want the prize…is there no sense of fun? That’s why I do it. twin said there was zero interest in the mini-prizes. Bullshit, I’ve entered every contest. Won one amxi (deferred to James) and won one mini (by default. Having dinner with my Goddaughter tonight so she can show me how to use it).
      Get with it Flappers!

• delmardennis said, on November 20, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Did ya get my guesses? I sent ’em to ya a couple of nights ago. Belt’s BA and all.

26. TedSpe said, on November 20, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Oh, and I’m way off on Belt’s BA

27. Flavor said, on November 20, 2010 at 4:50 pm

It’s my blog and I often don’t even know when the contest are (at least these mini-ones). Twin, can you start posting them in Room B?
    And now it’s time to give a big shout out to THE Stanford Cardinal and congratulate them on the complete and utter destructification of the Bears. Easy to see that one comin’……….

• blade3colorado said, on November 20, 2010 at 5:13 pm

A mini contest? I wasn’t aware either . . .

28. twinfan said, on November 20, 2010 at 5:18 pm

OK: the contest for the choice of “The Twinner” ( gamer) or “The Drama Queen” ( HTPC) :
    Who do they retain among these 4: Huff, Uribe, Rowand, Renteria…
    Choose all, none, whatever. Don’t care about dollars or years. Entry to contest ends when any one of them signs anywhere- so get in your pick…. I’ll repost this in “B” with the specs on the units. The “Mini” contest is what Belt’s BA is as of 8 OClock tomorrow night here:
    That prize is “whatever”, haven’t decided yet. Something nifty for your PC or notebook, though.

29. twinfan said, on November 20, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Also: I don’t want the “main” contest to drag into ST so we’ll end it December 15- winner will then have it under the tree in time for Christmas…

30. zumarust said, on November 20, 2010 at 5:27 pm

In the AFL game today, Belt got on base twice, I think, with a walk and a hit-batsmen. He made an error on a grounder when he got distracted by a big chunk of jagged broken bat flying in his direction.
    The Giants’ pitcher Patterson allowed some baserunners in his inning of work, but struck out the side. He’s a lefty sidewinder, who looks very promising. A LOOGY of the future!
    Culberson and Runzler didn’t do much.
    Their team won 3-2.

31. zumarust said, on November 20, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Interesting, the interest still in Notre Dame football. The legacy and all that, despite a lot of recent years of lousy seasons. They’re playing Army today, at Yankee stadium, on an NBC game.

32. twinfan said, on November 20, 2010 at 5:41 pm

“The Drama Queen” is a Dual Core Intel CPU, Mini-case, 64GB Solid State Hard Drive ( you’ll want to pick up an external drive for saving video, etc.), 2GB RAM, DVD Burner, Card Reader, TV Tuner Card, 512 MB Graphics Card with HDMI…
    “The Twinner” is in a CoolerMaster Midtower w/500Watt Power Supply, Triple Core AMD CPU, 4GB RAM, 500GB SATA II Hard Drive, DVD Burner, Card Reader, 1GB EVGA GTS 450 Graphics w/HDMI ( Killer Card)…
    Both have Windows 7….

33. Flavor said, on November 20, 2010 at 5:42 pm

not gonna enter the Belt BA Contest since there’s just one day to go– not fair to those who entered before me. He’s only got 1 bomb in 86 at bats but 5 (FIVE!) triples. Love it.

34. blade3colorado said, on November 20, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Flav, are you playing any fantasy league football or basketball? If so, how ya doing? You got me addicted via the Flap MLB baseball league and I am “mainlining” both of these leagues now (3rd place in basketball and tied for first in football). Ha.

35. Flavor said, on November 20, 2010 at 6:00 pm

No, I don’t play any fantasy games except baseball. I used to play football but haven’t for years. And I just don’t have enough interest in basketball. But I’m glad the Flap League got you hooked. We’ll do something next year, maybe see if we can get a pay league going, even if it’s just $10-20 bucks each.
    I’ve still got your prize here. It’s sitting across the room right now, broken. His head is at his side like he’s just decapitated himself or something. He’s staring at me, upside down. He’s somehow saying something. It’s a low murmur…Wait, I’m making it out: “Send me….. to…. Blade, you….. lazy…… mother fucker….” Creepy.

36. blade3colorado said, on November 20, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Good to hear that . . . keeps the Room B theme of “Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.”

. . . Or Rich Aurilia.

37. Flavor said, on November 20, 2010 at 6:32 pm

send me an address and I’ll get it out to you.

38. Flavor said, on November 20, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I know they’re worth 1.6 BILLION dollars, they could give a shit about $$$$, etc….but here’s a shout out for Kei Igawa! He’s scored 16 million from the Yanks so far, he’s won exactly 2 games for them (both wins back in 2007), completely toiling away in Scranton he gets ANOTHER 4 million from them in 2011. Kei Igawa, COME ON DOWN!!!!!!!! You’re our “Lucky Bastard of the Day!”

39. Flavor said, on November 20, 2010 at 6:41 pm

I’m thinking the LBOTD award has a place in this long (yet still basking in) Winter that approacheth………
    Of course, we could still hammer away on some good ol’ fashioned Haiku’s to bide our time……

40. twinfan said, on November 20, 2010 at 6:51 pm

More on the PC contest:
    In deciding which system, think of the HTPC as a Media system for watching and recording live TV, streaming video, Hula TV, Mpegs, Music Videos…. I strongly recommend a good LCD TV w/HDMI to take full advantage. This one includes a cordless Key/Mouse and good speakers ( the HDMI will carry theater quality sound, however)..
    The Gamer is a more powerful computer, built for, well, a Gamer. A good choice if you have kids who like to game- this will play any of the shoot ’ems very well. This does not have a tuner card. It includes USB Key/Mouse and speakers.
    Both include a USB adapter for wireless internet.
    Crysis

41. blade3colorado said, on November 20, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Flav, I’ll send ya an address after I get home from this road trip and can accept it.

42. Flavor said, on November 20, 2010 at 7:06 pm

dude, you are like Linda Hamilton at the end of Terminator 2……

43. blade3colorado said, on November 20, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Anyone else see the PBS special on Jim Thorpe a few minutes ago? Good bio on Thorpe. I had no idea he “covered” for Glen “Pop” Warner (apparently, a real douche bag per this show) in regard to his professional athletic status being found out by the Olympic Committee.

44. delmardennis said, on November 20, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I’m watching the replay (for the first time) of last week’s Manny Pacquiao fight on HBO. Talk about turning your opponent into a human punching bag. Margarito didn’t have a mouse under his eye, he had goddamn Mickey Mouse underneath his eye.

45. twinfan said, on November 20, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Boxing is another sport I abandoned long ago. I used to be a fan of about any game. Football was big when I was a drinker, I still enjoy it but baseball has reclaimed it’s rightful spot… as the greatest game. “Dead air”, baseball is really the only sport that embraces the concept.. hammocks, dropping cukes into the crock, watching from the porch, just LISTENING…

46. Dirtnrocksnreno said, on November 20, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Pacquiao administered quite the beat down. Margarito was totally outclassed. Normally I would feel bad about such an epic ass beating but after Margarito got busted with cementing his wraps I think it’s karma and he had it coming.

47. Flavor said, on November 20, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Stanford = pacquiao…. Cal = that dude he put the beat down on

48. zumarust said, on November 20, 2010 at 9:47 pm

In the countdown photo, Everson Walls is the very definition of having been “poster-ized.”
    I think, if I remember correctly, he had some SI cover redemption later. He made the cover, as a NY Giant, celebrating one of their Super Bowl wins.