A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Bad Weekend for Bay Area Teams

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 22, 2010

The Raiders get destroyed in Pittsburgh. The Warriors get dismantled and embarrassed in LA. The Cal Bears get utterly humiliated in Berkeley (ah, sooooo sweet to be a Cardinal fan)……And then there was the 49er shutout—First time since ’77 they’ve been shutout at home? Wow, that’s a lot of consecutive games where they scored at least 2 points. Singletary kept blathering away about “gotta go watch the film”. It made me wonder: Did he watch any film during the week? How does this man and his staff prepare for games? Do they just sit around reading the team famous Tony Robbins quotes and uplifting Chinese proverbs?

Here’s what you should do Singletary: Go watch the film. But not of the game on Sun. Go watch the film of how you and your staff  ‘prepared’ for that game (it’s too bad a film like this doesn’t exist, but it should). Go take a look at the film of the Tampa Bay coach and his staff and what they did to get that team ready to beat your ass yesterday. Take a pad of paper and go follow around Jeff Fisher or Bill Belichick for a week. Take some notes on what they’re doing.  Anyway, THOSE are the films he should be watching. It’s a complete waste of his time to watch game film……

1. Giant Head said, on November 22, 2010 at 7:11 am

I dont remember any other teams from the Bay Area besides the Giants….I could die tomorrow in peace with our World Series or I could live another 100 years and if no one from the Bay Area ever won anything, I woudl still be at peace.

You all will appreciate this, a buddy with News Corp/Fox had a Game 7 World Series ticket iin case it was played and sent me the ticket…very cool, will go with all my Sports Illustrated World Series paraphenalia I just ordered my 11-year old for Xmas…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 22, 2010 at 8:33 am

I’m with you, GH [CapitasMagnus]. Swag. World Series swag is on birthday and Christmas lists in the Kokonuts household and beyond. Swag. “Swag” [v] from the Online Etymology Dictionary: “to move heavily or unsteadily,” 1520s, probably from O.N. sveggja “to swing, sway,” cognate with O.E. swingan “to swing” (see swing). The noun sense of “ornamental festoon” is first found 1794. Earlier senses of “bulky bag” (c.1300) and “big, blustering fellow” (1580s) may represent separate borrowings from the Scandinavian source.

I have no further questions, Your Honor. Your witness.

2. Flavor said, on November 22, 2010 at 8:56 am

I’m not really doing the schwag thing. I might buy a banner. I took all the newspapers from the world series week, cut out the best pics and headlines, and plastered them all over one entire wall in my office. Newspaper clippings; how old school. Anyway, it looks fucking great, I’ll snap a pic and post it if anyone is interested

• Nipper said, on November 22, 2010 at 9:37 am

Good for you Flavor. A pic would be nice.

• zumarust said, on November 22, 2010 at 9:38 am

Yeah, post it!

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 22, 2010 at 10:01 am

Do post it, Blogmeisterflavorische.

3. zumarust said, on November 22, 2010 at 9:07 am

What?- No Chad Ochocinco for the countdown number? Just kidding.

4. twinfan said, on November 22, 2010 at 9:15 am

Singletary chose men who think like he does… any organization needs management with divergent philosphies. After Martz, what was left were/are sycophants. Mike Johnson might be an exception but yesterday’s debacle showed how little he’s been allowed to run the offense. I loved the choice of Singletary originally, but he’s shown that he just doesn’t have the temperament or the smarts for the job, IMO. Harbaugh’s name comes up but they don’t need an OC head coach: they need the head coach. Barring a total turn around and a playoff berth, I think Holmgren is a lock for next year and he’ll choose the new HC…

• zumarust said, on November 22, 2010 at 9:25 am

That was hard to watch yesterday. I ended up flicking over to the Colts/NE game quite a bit, to see football that resembled the Walsh era.

5. zumarust said, on November 22, 2010 at 9:30 am

The next coach for the Niners needs to be an specialist on offense. They need to stop hiring defensive coaches as head coaches. It’s not working, plus it just goes against the whole tradition of 49ers history.
    Harbaugh would be interesting, also because of the way he comes from Stanford, like Walsh came from Stanford, and the 49ers are just as dire right now as right before Walsh got hired.
    Harbaugh is no Walsh, but the hire would be a popular one in the Bay Area, and a logical one.

6. zumarust said, on November 22, 2010 at 9:35 am

What’s cool about World Series championship swag, is that it’ll be sold for a long long time.
    My wife’s parents sent me a championship cap and t-shirt. I’m seeing people wearing World Series swag in the community. And several #28 shirts.
    —-
    How cool is that going to be next season to see the Giants getting their rings, in a pre-game ceremony? Our lads with gigantic gaudy glorious World Series rings!

7. Giant Head said, on November 22, 2010 at 9:36 am

My “Fear the Beard” sign still faces onto K Street for the world to see, if they look up 9 floors. A buddy back home mailed the Chroncile insert to me….

Harbaugh does make sense, but i think they should look at Parcells as GM….

Bartlett for Affeldt, why wouldn’t the Rays not want a wily veteran after they are about to lose the bulk of their talent in their bullpen. Bartlett and Affeldt’s likely salaries for 2011 are a wash and Rays are losing most of their payroll with Pena, Crawford and Soriano all departing. I could see Affeldt closing for them…Giants trading Affeldt’s salary for Bartlett makes good sense to me…

8. Nipper said, on November 22, 2010 at 9:39 am

Please no college coaches. The Niners need more than a new HC.

• Giant Head said, on November 22, 2010 at 9:48 am

I am not sure someone like Cowher or another “winning” or quality coach would come to SF. I think Parcells can build a winning organization and Harbaugh could resurrect the up-tempo offense we have been missing for more than a decade…

9. Giant Head said, on November 22, 2010 at 9:44 am

I got a chance to look at the playoff post…for my two cents, I think if it is a one game wild card play-in game, then fuck that.

Imagine if the Giants won 95 games, lost the division by 1 game but had the best record than any other team in the NL. Then the next Wild Card team is someone like the Marlins that had 86 wins. The Marlins could pitch Josh Johnson for a one-game play-in wild card game and he is capable of coming in and shutting someone compeltely down for one game.

If that scenario could happen, then the idea is compeltely fucked…

10. Unca Chuck said, on November 22, 2010 at 9:47 am

Until the Niners get a GM that has the power to hire his own coaching staff, they are fucked.

That’s the facts, jack.

Singletary is the de facto GM right now. The team is run under his vision. Stupid and misguided as it is, it is Mike’s plan. When they shit-can him today or tomorrow, they have no one in the building who has any practical (or even impractical) NFL experience as a GM.

Without one, you get situations like the last 2 regimes. Nolan came in, pled toughness and no-nonsense. he cleaned house. Put ‘his’ guys in place, and got the team seemingly on the right track. When things started going bad, they had nothing to fall back on. Train wreck. Nolan was in over his head, and couldn’t get out of the tailspin that the 2007 became.

Cue Singletary. Came in, pled toughness, got the troops behind him. When the shit hit the fan, he had nothing to fall back on besides Nolan’s cry of ‘let’s look at the tape…” He can’t seem to get out of the way of his team. It’s even more of a pisser with Siongeltary, because this team has some talent. It is being wasted by the conservative play calling. 2 weeks of actually pressing on offense is once again throttled back to the safe zone of dumbfuck Singletary. He’d rather lose his way than win any other way.

Nolan’s coaches were all of the ‘yes, Mike’ variety. Singetary’s even worse. What pisses me off to no end is the fact that SIngletary is doing the EXACT same things wrong as Nolan did. He’s doing it with a better team, however.

Bleeeeeeeeeech. To think I almost went to yesterday’s game. I woulda climbed the glass wall of the luxury boxes in search of Jed . . .

Mike HAS TO GO NOW.

11. Giant Head said, on November 22, 2010 at 9:51 am

And for the Warrior reference…it is shocking that without David Lee they are nothing…

• delmardennis said, on November 22, 2010 at 10:06 am

I’d like to know what was in Wilson Chandler’s diet. That’s some funky-ass bacteria going on there when a couple of his teeth cause that kind of infection.

• TedSpe said, on November 22, 2010 at 11:02 am

I don’t knwo. A freind of mine got into a fight with some guy a few year’s back and elbowed him in the teeth and had the same thing happen to him. Everyone’s mouth is a disgusting bacteria incubator.

12. TedSpe said, on November 22, 2010 at 9:57 am

The Niners *and* the Warriors both need the same thing.
    Eli Whiteside

• delmardennis said, on November 22, 2010 at 10:10 am

The last thing the Warriors is NO Whitey. They can’t jump let alone play basketball.

• delmardennis said, on November 22, 2010 at 10:11 am

Warriors “need” is…

I *need* an editor.

• TedSpe said, on November 22, 2010 at 10:13 am

I was timing you on your response, dennis

13. Sandawg said, on November 22, 2010 at 10:06 am

Greetings from Vegas, Flappers. Stayin’ downtown where the rooms are cheap, the table limits are low, and you can stroll down the street with a cocktail in your hand like its Bourbon Street. Its damn cold here, but I’m getting love for my Giants beanie and seeing other people rocking the orange and black as well. Very cool to be somewhere that is more of a So Cal place and seeing more Giants gear than Dogger. Same thing happened when I was recently in SLO. Bandwagon fans mostly, but still kind of cool to see. Just saw a guy wearing the WS T-shirt with a bottle of champagne exploding. Maybe I’ve got a dirty mind, but I’m not a big fan of that design.
    Highlight so far has been “The Pinball Hall of Fame.” Calling it a hall of fame may be a bit of a reach as it more like an old, kind of dingy Circuit City, but it does have about 80 pinball machines in it. “8 Ball Deluxe,” “Captain Fantastic,” “Fireball” and many others I grew up playing. Good stuff.

• Unca Chuck said, on November 22, 2010 at 10:50 am

Was Satin Doll in there, Dawg? That was my fave. Town and Country biliards in San Mateo had that one, and a bunch of others . . .

• twinfan said, on November 22, 2010 at 11:06 am

Check your Email.

14. James said, on November 22, 2010 at 10:34 am

I haven’t checked in much lately, so apologies if this bit of horse silliness has already been shared, disparaged, ignored etc.

• TedSpe said, on November 22, 2010 at 10:54 am

Hadn’t seen that James. Cool

• delmardennis said, on November 22, 2010 at 10:55 am

Hadn’t seen that yet, thanks. What caught my eye, after the hats, was that the horses wore police badges. I didn’t know that they made the poor horses wear badges.

Badges? Horses don’t need no stinking badges.

• twinfan said, on November 22, 2010 at 11:07 am

Need an address.

15. Kevin said, on November 22, 2010 at 11:16 am

I don’t know how long people are going to rock the Orange and Black, but every weekend I go to some store someone wants to hight 5 me!! Oh what a feeling!!
    As a far as the Niners are concerned. The players have no leadership what so ever!! The most embarrassing stat for me was that Tampa had 8 sacks up to this game ranked near the bottom of the league in that stat, and they got 6 sacks against the niners!! Oh and a guy on KHTK the sports station here in Sacto said that watching reruns of “Lost in Space” reminded him of Singletary!!

16. TedSpe said, on November 22, 2010 at 11:20 am

Joey Votto, MVP

17. twinfan said, on November 22, 2010 at 12:03 pm

My CT was clean. They do the CT on chest/abdomen, MRI on brain. Next Monday is the MRI. If it confirms what UCSF reported after my seizure, I may have ZERO active tumors.. as of now there is the one but it may be dead. That’s what we’ll find out next week…
    All Flappers: MVPs in the Twinfan book…

• delmardennis said, on November 22, 2010 at 12:29 pm

That’s great news, TF. No worries about the brain MRI, they won’t find a damn thing there. 😉

• PawlieKokonuts said, on November 22, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Twin, strikes me that that news is better gravy than turkey gravy, better dessert than key lime, better hors d’oeuvres than I don’t know what-all. Good for you.

18. TedSpe said, on November 22, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Good new twin

19. twinfan said, on November 22, 2010 at 12:10 pm

No, I’m still a used item, Ted.

• TedSpe said, on November 22, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Good news, used twin

20. Unca Chuck said, on November 22, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Great news about the CT scan, Mike.

You are the man . . .

21. delmardennis said, on November 22, 2010 at 2:11 pm

D-Train moving on to the Reds with a minor league deal.

Wish ’em the best, but I’d stay home and count my money if I were him. Count it then blow it on the ponies. But I’d give the baseball thing a rest.

• wswin said, on November 22, 2010 at 9:13 pm

From mlbtr….

“Before the Reds signed Dontrelle Willis, the Giants had interest in re-signing the left-hander, according to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News (on Twitter)”.

22. twinfan said, on November 22, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I used to really just watch the Niner game. How pathetic that I have to watch other games if I want some real football. Did you catch Maiocco? Sing couldn’t even remember the decision to punt instead of try for a FG.. my goodness, I’d like him to succeed but the game is just too fast for him..

23. Unca Chuck said, on November 22, 2010 at 2:54 pm

The reason I’m so pissed about the Niners is Singletary made the EXACT mistakes Nolan did. he stuck to an offensive plan that wasn’t working. He got paranoid with the press. He rarely pointed any blame toward himself, especially when outcoached. And he alweays said it was an execution problem. Never a scheming problem. The offensive problems these last 2 years, are about 90% scheme problems.

Yesterday, Mike went back to his comfort zone of running Gore early and often. He didn’t much like the downfield pasing game. Not that the blocking was excellent to allow it, but they certainly should have taken many more shots downfield than they did.

Mike has to go now.

24. TedSpe said, on November 22, 2010 at 3:03 pm

You know the Niners are in trouble when you read an article about yesterday’s game and the last sentence is “around 3 more months until pitchers and catchers report”

• Kevin said, on November 22, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Now that is funny

• Kevin said, on November 22, 2010 at 3:20 pm

or pathetic.

25. alleykat said, on November 22, 2010 at 3:53 pm

The Niners are the “New Warriors”. Junk owners, coaches,and leadership.Players are talented,but not utilized.It will repeat itself just like the Warriors,until the owner is gone.Yorks need to go!

26. zumarust said, on November 22, 2010 at 4:20 pm

One of the problems for Singletary and the Niners is that the big grace period they had when the Giants were busy getting to the playoffs and winning a World Series is over. The fans and the media are fully focused on the Niners now.

27. wswin said, on November 22, 2010 at 5:26 pm

from mlbtr…

“The White Sox claimed releiver Waldis Joaquin off of waivers from the Giants, according to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune. The 23-year-old made the Giants’ Opening Day roster, but allowed six earned runs and seven walks in 4 2/3 innings, so he was demoted to the minors. He posted a 4.43 ERA with 8.9 K/9 and 5.5 BB/9 in 40 2/3 innings split between Rookie ball and Triple-A”.

28. blade3colorado said, on November 22, 2010 at 6:04 pm

wswin – that perfectly illustrates how fleeting a pro baseball career can be . . . Not saying he wont return, but he had his “cup of coffee” in the majors and was gone.

Reminds me of the De Niro character in the 1996 film The Fan, in which he says, “I was in the bigs for a cup of coffee myself until my arm went south.”

• TedSpe said, on November 22, 2010 at 6:27 pm

I don’t remember that line, blade. Who’d he say it to? Cause I remember him telling his old friend “We coulda made it to the bigs” or something like that and then you find out he’d never played past little league

• blade3colorado said, on November 22, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Not certain Ted, but I think it was to Snipes. I got the quote from Wiki’s blurb about “. . . a cup of coffee in the big leagues.”

• TedSpe said, on November 22, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Couldn’t find it in your attachment, blade, but it was still some interesting stuff.
        What the fuck, who gives a shit. You made a valid and well written point.
        Plus….
        WE WON THE BELT BA CONTEST FOR THE MERE FACT WE PARTICIPATED!!
        Is being awake a virtue of its own or what?

• max808 said, on November 22, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Unfortunate for Joaquin, but baseball is littered with pitchers who can throw 95+ and still struggle. We saw it with Bautista this yr and Valdez in previous yrs. Casilla is another who can bring it, but has struggled throughout his career.

29. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 22, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Nice piece on Joey Amalfitano on the Giants’ web site; he was on the ’54 Giants and was [is] in the 2010 organization.

30. xootsuit said, on November 22, 2010 at 8:51 pm