A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Local MVP Votes

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 23, 2010

Not much to talk about Giants-Wise so I thought we could just check out who Bagg’s and Schulman gave their MVP votes to. I don’d have a problem with HS’s except the ridiculous Ruiz vote at #5. And his argument about not giving you an MVP vote unless you play the entire year is lame. He knows what the Giant’s record was pre/post Posey. If that isn’t the definition of “MVP” I don’t know what is…..

And Baggs learned something this year: Don’t put so much pressure on middle relievers with MVP votes. I think we now now what was wrong with Affeldt in 2011. 🙂

HS:

1. Joey Votto, Cincinnati Reds

2. Albert Pujols, St. Louis Cardinals

3. Brian Wilson, San Francisco Giants

4. Adrian Gonzalez, San Diego Padres

5. Carlos Ruiz, Philadelphia Phillies

6. Carlos Gonzalez, Colorado Rockies

7. Martin Prado, Atlanta Braves

8. Aubrey Huff, San Francisco Giants

9. Jason Heyward, Atlanta Braves

10. Ryan Zimmerman, Washington Nationals

AB:

1. Votto (see above)
2. Albert Pujols (and this was considered a down year for him??)
3. Adrian Gonzalez (Pads might not be a .500 team without him)
4. Aubrey Huff (most consistent run producer all season for a playoff team)
5. Carlos Gonzalez (didn’t hit on the road, and Rockies didn’t win on the road –otherwise he’d be higher)
6. Brian Wilson (torture never felt so good)
7. Jayson Werth (a consistently tough out, he came up huge for Phils while other horses were hurt)
8. Ryan Zimmerman (perhaps most underrated two-way player in baseball)
9. Matt Holliday (quietly amassed some great numbers behind Pujols)
10. Troy Tulowitzki (huge difference maker would’ve finished higher if not for wrist injury)

1. xootsuit said, on November 23, 2010 at 7:05 am

The names Werth and Holliday on that list look like guys who showed up at a formal dinner wearing South Park t shirts.

2. twinfan said, on November 23, 2010 at 7:25 am

I’ll go with the FanGraph’s evaluation. Top ten MVPs:
    1. Votto
    2. Pujols
    3. Zimmerman
    4. Holliday
    5. Tulowitzki
    6. Weeks
    7. Andres Torres
    8. Kelly Johnson
    9. Carlos Gonzales
    10. Huff

Uribe was 39. If pitchers were included, Tim would be 15, Cain 30, Wilson 49. So, according to FanGraphs (a very respected and informative site, you should “fave it”), the Giants had 6 of the 50 most valuable players in the NL in 2010.Pretty impressive for misfits.

3. Flavor said, on November 23, 2010 at 7:43 am

Kelly Johnson?

• ewisco said, on November 23, 2010 at 8:04 am

heck of an aircraft designer. sr71 and u2. not sure about his bat speed though.

• twinfan said, on November 23, 2010 at 8:19 am

Yes. 26-93 .865 OPS, second baseman… no prob.

4. xootsuit said, on November 23, 2010 at 8:58 am

Most of the pure stat analyses include Werth and Holliday in the top ten. I didn’t realize that mvp was a fantasy category.

5. delmardennis said, on November 23, 2010 at 9:02 am

From Baggs: Giants re-signed Aubrey Huff to two-year contract. More details to come.

• delmardennis said, on November 23, 2010 at 9:03 am

Forgot to add: That’s GREAT news! And I don’t even care what’s the $. Tis the season to be giving.

6. delmardennis said, on November 23, 2010 at 9:06 am

Huff will receive $22 million over two years, with a club option for 2013.

It really must be the season to be giving.

7. Unca Chuck said, on November 23, 2010 at 9:07 am

$22 mill for 2 years for the Huffster . . .

• xootsuit said, on November 23, 2010 at 9:09 am

w. an third year option

8. Big Flavor said, on November 23, 2010 at 9:11 am

fuck it, I love that Huff is coming back for the next 2 years. And part of that 22 mil, if it’s hard for you to swallow, think of 12 of it being a bonus payment for 2010…..

9. Big Flavor said, on November 23, 2010 at 9:11 am

and it’s a club option, but a player option. I love it.

10. zumarust said, on November 23, 2010 at 9:20 am

Huff is getting PAID. That’s A-OK in my book.

11. max808 said, on November 23, 2010 at 9:26 am

Weak FA mkt, he was a hot item. And Giants have never been shy about paying top dollar. Okay Juan, you’re next.

12. TedSpe said, on November 23, 2010 at 9:35 am

I remember a radio interview with Huff around September or so. He said he’d love to come back to the Giants but he also said, paraphrasing “But Brian? It’s gonna cost ya”

13. TedSpe said, on November 23, 2010 at 9:37 am

And Flavor’s kind of making a joke but he’s also right. A lot of that money *is* a bonus for 2010

14. Giant Head said, on November 23, 2010 at 9:40 am

Wow $11 mill is real generous….I like what Neukom has done. I speculated payroll will go to $110 million. But thought Huff would get only $8. Juan is getting more than $5 then.

Bartlett is next, Juan starts at third and Panda has to earn some playing time probably against righties at first with Huff in left. Ross and Torres are the only must haves in arbitration….

• TedSpe said, on November 23, 2010 at 9:44 am

Is Ross a must have? Or are we deluded because he had such a good PS?
      And I’m not just trying to be an asshole either.

• Giant Head said, on November 23, 2010 at 10:06 am

I think for one year and nothing better in our system, he is a must have

• twinfan said, on November 23, 2010 at 10:20 am

Ross is not a FA, he’s an arb. He had a down 2010 but his history suggests a 20-80, about .800 OPS, good D. He’s at $4,450,000 now, 6 to 7 sounds about right. I see him as a lock for RF.

15. max808 said, on November 23, 2010 at 9:49 am

Juan was getting more than 5 million anyway. I’d think he’s shooting for about 7.5 m a yr.

16. Macdog said, on November 23, 2010 at 9:57 am

They got Huff for 3M and a thong last year, and he ends up 7th in the MVP voting. Good for Aubrey, couldn’t have happened to a better guy.

17. twinfan said, on November 23, 2010 at 10:03 am

I had thought that would be about the number if they did a 3 year. Glad to hear about it before I had the turkey picked up… I’ll go with the 16 pounder instead of the 24 now…

18. Giant Head said, on November 23, 2010 at 10:15 am

If Uribe gets $7.5 and you pick up Bartlett at $5 and JSanchez, Torres and Ross are around $4 and Burrell at $2 and Fontenot at $1, payroll would be close $115 million. Would like to get Affeldt in that deal to Tampa to save a little and put that to Javy Lopez.

• twinfan said, on November 23, 2010 at 10:22 am

Ross is already over 4. He’ll get 6 to 7 in arb, IMO…

19. Macdog said, on November 23, 2010 at 10:27 am

Hey fans! Don’t delay! Order your Sports Illustrated San Franciso Giants Championship Package!

20. snarkk said, on November 23, 2010 at 10:28 am

Glad to see Huff Daddy back. I’m usually down on such big $ for a guy who’ll be 34 soon, but he doesn’t have an injury history. $22M for 2 years and $3M for this last season tryout = $25M for 3, so $8M+ over 3 years for him is the way I’ll explain it. If he craters the next 2 years, I’ll remember the 2 run shot in game 4 at Texas. Freekin’ World Series title is softening me up…

21. Kevin said, on November 23, 2010 at 11:42 am

One down, is Ross already signed for next year?

• TedSpe said, on November 23, 2010 at 11:46 am

Not yet

22. twinfan said, on November 23, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Pay attention, I’ve covered this about 3 dozen times: Ross is not a free agent, he will be a FA after the coming year. He is arb eligible. He made about 4 and a 1/2 last year so you’d look to him getting in the 6+ range I’d think…..But the pernt: if they want him, and they do, he is theirs for 2011…

23. TedSpe said, on November 23, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I just meant a $$ hasn’t been set yet

24. twinfan said, on November 23, 2010 at 12:35 pm

That was for all.

25. Unca Chuck said, on November 23, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Got my package in the mail, Mike.

Thanks . . . !

26. twinfan said, on November 23, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Fire it up.

• TedSpe said, on November 23, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Wait a minute. What exacly was in that package anyway?

27. ewisco said, on November 23, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I’m a quarter of the way towards tf’s prize!

28. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 23, 2010 at 1:27 pm

While I am very glad A. Huff is back, we won’t repeat with the same team. We’ve all concurred that’s a given. So who goes? NO Whitey?

29. San Dog said, on November 23, 2010 at 1:47 pm

@Chuck: I don’t think they had “Satin Doll” at the Pinball HOF. I don’t know that machine, so I might have missed it. Lots of good stuff though. You should check it out if you’re ever out there—on Tropicana almost across the street from the soon-to-be-shuttered Liberace Museum.

30. San Dog said, on November 23, 2010 at 1:56 pm

….just caught up on the posts. Hells to the yes Huff got paid!!! 22 mill for 2 years???? Yikes. Its all good, but I wouldn’t have had a problem with the Giants if they hadn’t been willing to go that high.

31. twinfan said, on November 23, 2010 at 2:10 pm

One of the better posters on the Splash pointed out that this contract reflects the average fo rplayers at his position. His 2010 numbers are also average ( almost exactly so) for his position.This was a signing they had to make, it would have been a PR and team morale disaster if they let him go elsewhere.

32. TedSpe said, on November 23, 2010 at 2:18 pm

In today’s print edition of the SF Chronicle’s Sporting Green, they decided to print some comments from posters on their Niner blog right there on the front page. Who’s the first commentator to share their words of wisdom?
    soph

• freshtodef80 said, on November 23, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Burn that paper!

• ewisco said, on November 23, 2010 at 3:36 pm

at least it wasn’t flyingv or mr zero.

33. freshtodef80 said, on November 23, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Huff is well worth 22 Mill. I’m glad he’s coming back.

• TedSpe said, on November 23, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Great synopsis

• Macdog said, on November 23, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Now that would be cool. And what a great column.

• ferrethead said, on November 23, 2010 at 3:45 pm

From the article: “These are the men and these are the moments that forever will mark time in the oral history of the Giants, those that root for them and those still to come. Stories will be told around the dinner table, on long car rides, in the bleak days of midwinter and especially come the autumns, when the Giants’ championship is an anniversary to be recalled each year like one in the family.”

Nailed it!!!

• ewisco said, on November 23, 2010 at 3:45 pm

what a great article! Reset the “BASK” chamber to “golden”, scottie.

34. stixwiz said, on November 23, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Huff the Magic Dragon got his big payday
    And Giants fans are happy all across the Bay.

35. Kevin said, on November 23, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Does anyone know what the story is about de Rosa?? Will the Giants be able to evaluate him prior to ST??

• TedSpe said, on November 23, 2010 at 3:40 pm

I don’t think there’s too much they can do until ST starts. Same with Sandoval. Just hope for a safe and healthy off season.

36. TedSpe said, on November 23, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I wonder if the Huff signing eliminated anyone from twin’s contest.
    Come on!
    Fess up!

• delmardennis said, on November 23, 2010 at 4:23 pm

The signings have to end right here for me. I had Huff as the only returnee.
      Now I just need Rowand to hop on that slow boat to China…

37. Flavor said, on November 23, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Huff is the only one of the 4 I predicted would stay with the team. One more falls back to us, I’m out of the contest!!!!!!

38. TedSpe said, on November 23, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Really? You guys didn’t even figure on Uribe?

39. Flavor said, on November 23, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I think uribe is gone and with sabean throwing 22 mil at huff I think that’s a done deal. Gonzo. My only issue with my prediction now is how do they dump rowand. Why did I think anyone would take rowand? Musta been the beers, that sounds like a “late pm” prediction

• TedSpe said, on November 23, 2010 at 4:44 pm

That’s why I kept Rowand. I just don’t know where he’d go. I’m sure he’d *like* to go to Chicago or Philly but do they want to pay for him?

• TedSpe said, on November 23, 2010 at 4:46 pm

But you make a valid point about Uribe. I just didn’t think he’d be too expensive of an acqusition, he’s a good SS, relatively young and had decent power numbers. Now, BA? Eh…

40. alleykat said, on November 23, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Love the signing of Huff for 2 years.With Belt playing some OF and 1B ,this gives the Giants more flexibility to ease him in and not be dependent on big numbers out of the gate.All young players develop at different rates…not everyone comes in and rakes like Posey.

It’s not always the money that makes a deal bad.It’s usually the years.Imagine if Rowand had signed at 3/36 instead of 5/60,we would have been done with him,or if Zito were 5/90 instead of 7/126,this would be his last year.Kudos on getting Huff’s deal for only 2 years,with an option that they won’t pickup.

I predict someone will offer Uribe 3 or more years and the Giants will pass.

41. max808 said, on November 23, 2010 at 5:05 pm

After reading Sabean’s comments to Schulmann, I’d be surprised if Uribe returns. I don’t know of any other guys avail who hit 24hrs last yr and can play multiple inf positions. He’s going to get a sweet deal.

42. Unca Chuck said, on November 23, 2010 at 5:26 pm

The end of that article is very cool . . .

“It was, for too many, a lifetime ago, as folks in the Giants family such as Bobby Thomson, Bill Rigney, Rod Beck, Charles Schulz and countless fans did not live to see the day of Nov. 1 2010 — that is, 11/01/10, or, in binary code, 110110, which equates to . . . 54. Baseball, in ways big and small, connects.”

Juan’s uncle as well . . .

43. Unca Chuck said, on November 23, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Shit, I have Rent as the only guy leaving. Huff is a done deal. I think they keep Uriibe. They are shackled to Rowand . . . Rent? Gone, baby gone.

44. twinfan said, on November 23, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Whatever goes down with Uribe, they got two of the best years of his career. He exceeded any expectation and then some. If someone else entices him with a kazillion bucks-good for him, he already earned it…
    But, uh, er… I want him back…

45. Flavor said, on November 23, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Uribe and Huff had about the same deals last year, right? I don’t think you could argue that Huff was any more important; maybe by a hair. Anyway, I don’t see them giving Uribe 2/22. Looked at another way, the Giants aren’t shelling out 40+ million to keep Huff and Uribe. That just isn’t going to happen and, frankly, shouldn’t happen……
    If Werth leaves we might find Philly open to taking Rowand if we pay 95% of his salary. Hey, it could happen…..

46. Billy said, on November 23, 2010 at 6:07 pm

So Cody Ross is a free agent right?

Just kidding. Listening to everyone here Uribe is not going to happen. With Pablo’s regression at 3rd that’s a pretty significant blow to the left side of our infield. I’m stoked Huff is back but you could argue Uribe was the more critical signing between the two with the emergence of Belt. Hopefully the Uribe big money hunt goes a lot like last year’s. Looking back, how we landed him last year as a total suprise seems like it was the beginning of destiny working its magic for this team.

47. Flavor said, on November 23, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Belt could still be the guy at first. Huff/Torres/Ross outfield, me like….

• twinfan said, on November 23, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Sabean was clear today that Ross will be on the team and in the opening day line up..

48. Billy said, on November 23, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Or Belt in the OF. Apparently he’s pretty athletic.

49. zumarust said, on November 23, 2010 at 6:46 pm

I hope Uribe gets a nice payday, but he was a perfect fit for the Giants. I could see him being a disappointment to another team and its fans. He’s streaky as heck, and he was just right for the Giants. He gave them some big homeruns. He was a nice match for a team that has great pitching. For some other team, with less than stellar pitching, they’re going to want more consistency from Uribe on offense.

• twinfan said, on November 23, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I think most anybody will live with those numbers from a middle infielder.

50. Flavor said, on November 23, 2010 at 6:47 pm

i never doubted for a second that Ross wouldn’t be in the OD line up, that’s why my post has him as one of the starting 3 OF’s

• twinfan said, on November 23, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Didn’t say you did. Why defensive? Of course, I said it when they acquired him, depressed Loo-igi… A few more notes from Sabean via Baggarly:
      ” Sabean made it clear that Ross will be on the team and in the opening-day lineup”…
      The deal with Huff matched an offer he received from another team ( Baggarly guessed Texas)..
      Sabes talked to a FA SS today ( no name given)
      They may not offer arb to all 8 eligible, Fontenot most likely to not be offered it.
      Panda will be doing his conditining in Arizona “where it will be easier for club officials and trainers to keep tabs on him,” not San Diego. It was his decision…
      Burrell is strictly back burner right now
      “Juan Uribe remains a priority for the Giants, but Sabean said the pace of negotiations is different because he’s receiving a lot of interest from clubs in a market that is thin on third basemen as well as shortstops. Sabean said they are looking for Uribe to return as a shortstop, for now.

• twinfan said, on November 23, 2010 at 7:00 pm

I was fucking supporting your post by noting that Sabean addressed it today. Jesus Horatio Christ..

51. delmardennis said, on November 23, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Henry S. says we offered arbitration to Juan.

No further details.

52. Flavor said, on November 23, 2010 at 7:00 pm

good move

53. Flavor said, on November 23, 2010 at 7:14 pm

“Money Wall” post up if you want to check it out.

54. blade3colorado said, on November 23, 2010 at 7:29 pm

This may already have been mentioned here . . . If you guys want to keep up to date in real time who is being offered arbitration and who isn’t, MLBTradeRumors has a very neat application that conveys that (you can also click on the “yes” or “no” and it goes straight to the article or tweet about that player, e.g., Uribe – Yes (Schulman Tweet).

55. TedSpe said, on November 23, 2010 at 8:32 pm