A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Derek Jeter

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 26, 2010

This is why I follow the Yankees. I love this stuff. Last week we saw Jeter ignore a 3 year/45 million dollar offer and today we see that they are nearly 80 (eighty!) million dollars apart! The STARTING POINT from the Jeter Camp was 6 years 150 million. That’s hilarious. Obviously there’s a lot of agent-bluster-bullshit in there, but this is just classic Yankee drama. Everything the Yankees do is bigger and louder than anyone else…….Now quickly harken back to a week or so ago when I gave my opinion of what I’d offer Jeter if I was Sabean: 1 year, 3 million. Baha. And I stand by that offer, I really do think that’s about what Jeter is worth at this point in his career. Jeter has always said he’s all about winning, nothing more. Well, he’s made 205 million in his career (only considering his salaries). Sorry Jeet, but I can’t support you trying to “take care of your family” with this last big contract. 150 million? Yeah, right. As I said, take my 1 year/3mil and thank God someone still wants to pay you money to play a game you used to play for free……..

Bruce Jenkins is floating Jose Reyes’ name out there as someone the Giants should look into acquiring. That will never, ever happen. This isn’t some “Alderson for Franchez” deal. There is no way in Hell that Sabean ponies up the necessary bounty needed to secure his services. And that’s fine with me, I wouldn’t want to have to spend the time worrying about that dude’s health. He’s just not worth the risk, there is ALWAYS something wrong with that dude…..

Go get Bartlett, he’d be a fine addition to the team……..

1. zumarust said, on November 26, 2010 at 8:02 am

Is Bartlett pear-shaped?

2. delmardennis said, on November 26, 2010 at 8:54 am

The Kung Fu Panda balloon made its first ever appearance yesterday at the 84th annual Macy*s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York.

It was reported to be seen making a taco run while heading down 34th Street.

3. twinfan said, on November 26, 2010 at 9:04 am

Have to disagree with my esteemed colleague on Bartlett… unless they are unable to re-sign Juan. If they retain Uribe I’d go with him and Burriss for 2011, and also leave the door open for Crawford or Adrianza to win the job.
    If I’m Sabean I’d be looking for a catcher and a first baseman…

4. stixwiz said, on November 26, 2010 at 9:14 am

Twin, Flav: I’m iffy on Bartlett, unless Uribe is overwhelmed elsewhere. If Juan returns, then the Burriss pairing should suffice for 2011. Quite a few F.A. catchers out there who aren’t #1’s and most of them should like to play for SF. First baseman? Michael, that one stuns me. Huff is back and Belt as waaay probable, at least by mid-season. What’s more, Ishi is still in the picture. So i don’t get it. Please explain your reasoning. Maybe i’m missing something.

• twinfan said, on November 26, 2010 at 9:37 am

Anyone who has read my posts for the last couple years knows I’m in on Travis-alas, the Giants aren’t, at least as the regular 1B. If he’s on the team at all, I’d think it would be as this year: PH, defense late. As far as Belt/Huff, I’m hardly ready to hand Belt the job in left or first. I had thought about LaRoche but now I lean to a flyer on Pena, a guy who could be had for one year. If Belt beats him out or just earns the 4th OF slot, fine. Belt, Pablo, and DeRosa are the intrigue for this spring and they do complicate things because we won’t know UNTIL then.

5. Flavor said, on November 26, 2010 at 9:20 am

Of course, I would prefer uribe to Bartlett. I just don’t see it happening. I doubt uribe gets less than huff and I just can’t see sabean alloting 40 million for those 2 guys,….

6. delmardennis said, on November 26, 2010 at 9:52 am

Unfortunately, I too think Juan-Gone is gone. I certainly don’t think the money Huff received helps his chances of staying either. Bartlett? I dunno. How’s his D.? His UZR was something like -13 1/2. Is he that bad? I still think JJ Hardy wouldn’t be half bad.

3-horse field coming up in the 3rd at Aqueduct. I better not finish 4th.

7. ewisco said, on November 26, 2010 at 10:42 am

I’ve been thinking of ishi and nate and wondering what their fate is this spring. Like mike, I think the organization has already made up their mind, but i wonder what it would take for them in ST to get a real shot at starting. Maybe they’ll have a good spring and get packaged with a pitcher (?) to bring in a needed piece. That need is going to be determined in a big way by de rosa, panda, belt (i don’t see him making the team out of ST. the g’s just don’t roll that way) and uribe.

8. Flavor said, on November 26, 2010 at 1:07 pm

With belt in the mix, miles ahead of ishikawa, I think ishi’s fate is sealed, finally. It’s too bad I like him a lot. Personally, I’d gauge belt’s trade value. If it’s super high, you might look at trading him.

9. ewisco said, on November 26, 2010 at 1:48 pm

I think they would be happy to move to a team where they might have a chance to play. and frankly, if i was a low budget team, i’d take a good look. it could be a good chance to further stock the minors for the g’s.

• zumarust said, on November 26, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Yeah, I think it was TF talking about that other day. Young MLB players shouldn’t be content to be bench players. You want Ishi, Nate, and Pablo to stay hungry for playing time. (OK- no jokes about Pablo being hungry.)

• zumarust said, on November 26, 2010 at 3:32 pm

NO Whitey, however, should be content on the bench.

10. twinfan said, on November 26, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Obviously there’s a scenario where Nate and Travis stay on as reserves. They were among the best in the league in their roles. It may not be decided until ST is well underway and decisions are made on others. Right now they don’t have anyone to count on for the roles those guys filled.

11. PawlieKokonuts said, on November 26, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I like Nate’s defense . . . most of the time. It’s a tad erratic. But I loved it in the late innings of Game 1, standing 30 feet from him.

12. zumarust said, on November 26, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Watching MLB network’s Prime 9 shows, a lot of things stood out, but the most remarkable was the Phillies blowing a 6 1/2 game lead with 13 games to go in ’64. I wasn’t aware that Mauk decided to pitch his top two starters on two days rest at the end. It flopped badly.
    How cool is that for the Giants to have the starting pitching depth they have. Sanchez clinching firstplace in game 162. Bumgarner’s performance in game 4 of the World Series was remarkable in how it was not that big a surprise to Giants fans. It surprised everyone else, and the national media, but Giants fans knew how Bum was progressing. I love that first pitch of Bumgarner in that game. A 94 mile an hour fastball for a strike. Bum was saying: “I feel good, Texas. You in a heap of trouble.”

13. Dirtnrocksnreno said, on November 26, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Bartlett plus LaRoach and Sabean’s a fucking genius.

14. Flavor said, on November 26, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Don’t like laroach. Don’t want laroach. We need a shortstop, that’s about it. Shed rowand too. A off season if pulls that off

15. twinfan said, on November 26, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Now all of you know how loathe I am to toot my own horn 😉 but I seem to recall posting that I’d be just as confident with Bumgarner in a “must win” as I would Tim or Cain.. he got bombed his next start, I believe that one was his only poor outing. How awesome is it to have 3 # one starters? Even Dirty’s numbers compare favorably with a lot of # one starters, he just doesn’t go deep often enough to merit the tag…

16. dirtnrocksnreno said, on November 26, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Drew from AZ would satisfy Sabean’s desire for SS and a LH hitter but AZ won’t move him (supposedly). Anything within the division is a tough deal anyway. I think Sabean will do something to acquire a LH hitter and it may be a surprising move. Don’t see Rowand moving though.

Flav. You coming to Reno anytime soon?

17. Flavor said, on November 26, 2010 at 6:43 pm

If I’m sabean I move what-the-hell-ever in division as long as we get the long end of the stick. Not trading within your own division, as a basic premise, is idiotic. If u get something better than they get, it’s a great fuckin trade. End of story….
    Dirt. Been super busy. Definitely coming up in that Christmas/ new years period.

18. ewisco said, on November 26, 2010 at 7:11 pm

the problem with sabes working within the division is that he already has the upper hand (ref. world series ring) so for him to make any deal, the other team has to “feel” that they’re getting the better of this. So most deals won’t happen. they probably won’t be convinced and sabes isn’t a complete idiot so he won’t bet the farm. I would say that the good news is that other teams may overrate our farm system because of our success (ref. world series ring). but anyone actually awake at the switch will realize that other than pitching, sabe’s recent success has been built with signings. so pitching will need to be included and i’m not sure they have all that much depth there right now. Zito is the x-factor there. he’s still a heck of a pitcher in a lot of ways (innings pitched, era, left handed, young) but how do you get them to take on the salary? I’m sure that without the salary question, he would be included in all sorts of talks. how to finagle that into a trade?

19. Flavor said, on November 26, 2010 at 7:13 pm

You would have to take on another bad salary, at least half of what zito is still owed

20. twinfan said, on November 26, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I’m one who hastily posted that Zits had thrown his last pitch here,wishful thinking kicked in. He’s now worth only 10 mililon per year less than he makes, progress… seriously- all we can hope for is a .500 pitcher. No one is taking him unless we pay at least ten million per year of what he’s owed..
    Another factor: the 5 starting pitchers on the team are the ONLY good 5 in the whole fucking system until you get to Surkamp at San Jose, then Wheeler… if they move anybody they’ll have to go the Wellemeyer route for a 5…

21. max808 said, on November 26, 2010 at 8:14 pm

It was reported that Az offered Drew for Porcello and Detroit said no thanks.
    Chances of G’s getting him pretty far fetched. Maybe JJ Hardy.

22. ewisco said, on November 26, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I guess that was my point. there really isn’t a whole lot of depth in the pitching. that makes zito the most expendable, and except for the salary, he would have a LOT of trade value (200’ish inning pitched, no missed starts, great curve if the umps call it. did i mention young, left-handed). but that salary . . .

I have enough trouble doing my job without having to do sabean’s.

• max808 said, on November 26, 2010 at 8:39 pm

What constitutes a LOT in trade value? I don’t see it, even if the G’s paid a chunk of his salary.

23. ewisco said, on November 26, 2010 at 9:02 pm

a LOT is in the eye of the beholder. but the point is that he would have more value than less. except for the salary.

24. ewisco said, on November 26, 2010 at 9:04 pm

did i mention 200’ish innning pitched the last few years. no missed starts. great curve when the umps call it. young. left handed. you know, a LOT.

25. Dirtnrocksnreno said, on November 26, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Flav, I’ll be deep sea fish in in Kauai. If you’re up after the first shot me an email.

I don’t think Sabean is against the inter div trade it is the other GMs.

26. twinfan said, on November 26, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Ewisco: those hormones in the turkey can be dangerous, man. Zito isn’t worth shit. I love the “no missed starts”.. that’s the BAD news… or does everybody want a a guy who will reliably lose 6 of 10 starts?

27. ewisco said, on November 26, 2010 at 9:49 pm

see, “isn’t worth shit” is just not true. not worth 20 million or whatever he’s getting paid this year absolutely. But the guy eats innings, with an era around 4.0 and whip of 1.35 and 150 k’s. plus young, plus left handed, not to mention cy young and post season experience. and you’re saying that’s not worth shit?
    I’d want half of what you’re taking but knowing something about what you’re taking, i’ll just say, how ’bout those giants!?!

the turkey was delicious though. and i had my share!

28. TedSpe said, on November 26, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I GOT ME THINGY!!!
    Thanks, twin!!

29. xootsuit said, on November 26, 2010 at 10:54 pm

After listening to innings 4-9 of the clincher in philly again tonight (knbr) I am more impressed w bum than ever. The giants have 4 excellent starters. Zitos a fine 5. Total up the salary for all of them. It evens out.

30. ewisco said, on November 26, 2010 at 11:09 pm

zito is a fine three! I’m not saying he should be on THIS staff but he’s a good pitcher. the thing with madbum is you’re not quite sure what you’ve got year two. and the thing with sanchez and zito is you’re not quite sure what you’ve got game to game. though sanchez can throw a shut out. and lastly, there’s not much in the “pen” in fresno, despite the rumors of runzler to start.

that being said, i prefer the giant’s pitching to any other team’s. but to get a bat/fielder would probably require a pitcher and i don’t think they’ll get a fair offer.

31. Flavor said, on November 27, 2010 at 9:22 am

Any value zito has as a pitcher has to be weighed against his salary (if u are looking at moving him). Therefore, he is less than worthless to another team. If zito was getting paid 3 or 4 mil this yr would another team find value in him? Of course, but that’s obviously not the case. The only team that isn’t concerned with zitos salary is us and that’s because we already own it. No one else takes him unless we take on one of their bad contracts, too

32. zumarust said, on November 27, 2010 at 10:10 am

Speaking of Reno, Nevada….great football game last night. And it was a little bit like the SF Giants story….the Nevada team, after years of heartbreak and frustration, have the big breakthrough, and it was great seeing the joy of the Nevada fans swarming the field. We know that joy!!

33. xootsuit said, on November 27, 2010 at 10:11 am

Compare a little over $40MM for all five Giants starters in 2011 (total is approximate as JSanchez had a 1 year 2010 deal, for $2.1MM, but even if. goes up 50-100% for 2011, the approximation’s still good)

with $54MM for four Phillies starters (Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels and Blanton) in 2011. (Blanton!)

I’m sure the Phillies are not unique. (Sabathia and Burnett by themselves will total some $40MM in 2011.) So Zito’s contract isn’t a budget killer for the Giants.

On the other hand, it’s always hard to escape the ugliness of that Zito contract. Every time I look at the terms I find something that makes me flinch. This morning it was this:

Zito’s 2014 $18M option vests with 200 IP in 2013 or 400 IP in 2012-13 or 600 IP 2011-13.

You think that’s impossible? He pitched 199.1 innings in 2010.

• zumarust said, on November 27, 2010 at 10:18 am

I’m sure they would release him before all that would happen.

34. Flavor said, on November 27, 2010 at 10:16 am

They’ll shut his ass down before that option vests

• xootsuit said, on November 27, 2010 at 10:18 am

Or someone will shoot him in the shoulder.

35. Flavor said, on November 27, 2010 at 10:37 am

An outright release next year is certainly possible. If he was horrendous every start they’d probably go bullpen/aaa/release depending on just how terrible he was at all those stops. We’re on the backend on this contract, it’s all downhill from here! Less pressure to hold on to him just because of the money anyway. Ok, plane is taxi- ing, catch u on the flip side

• xootsuit said, on November 27, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Less pressure to hold onto him because they have a great staff at a bargain rate; also, leaving him off the PS rosters set the precedent, got the momentum headed in the right direction. Anyway, I didn’t suggest it’s probable that Zito will be around in 2013 (much less 2014), but the very fact that it’s mathematically possible for him to force that issue demonstrates what a strange contract the team negotiated with Boras. Easy to blame Magowan for that one, but you have to wonder how the deal really went down. News articles from winter 2006 quote Zito’s father praising “the owners” who made it happen. Bottom line now, in any event: Zito’s contract has not and will not hold them back. (btw, wonder how Lincecum’s father gets along with Zito’s?)

36. TedSpe said, on November 27, 2010 at 11:12 am

Well boys and girls, it’s my birthday today.
    Going to Union Square in about 10 minutes to meet up with an ex-coworker for lunch who’s a “hubba hubba”….just friends (lousy stupid birthday stupid birthday lousy)
    And then a huge lunch/brunch with my extended family. Combined Thanksgiving/Teddy day.
    Okay, back to business. Per Bruce Jenkins today, an ESPN analyst who shalt remain nameless stated Sabean “made the worst mistake” a general manager can make with the Huff contract. Putting aside the great PR, the clubhouse presence and all the intangibles Huff brings, the fucking mook went on to say Huff’s 2010 season “was a fluke”. Pardon me? You hit for your career average and it’s a fluke? Maybe if you’re on the dark side of 30 and had been showing signs of decline but Huff’s #’s were not an anomoly. Maybe for a Giant post Bonds but not for Huff.
    Man, and these ESPN guys are actually paid a salary?

• zumarust said, on November 27, 2010 at 11:22 am

I think it’s truly one of those cases where numbers aren’t everything, anyway. The game is played by human beings, on a field, against opponents. Huff is a leader on that team, in addition to being a very productive player. He helped take those guys into battle after battle, and come out victorious in the war. The reason a guy like that ESPN guys doesn’t get it, is because he didn’t see the Giants on a daily basis.

37. delmardennis said, on November 27, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Who’s Rice’s tailor, Crown Royal?

38. twinfan said, on November 27, 2010 at 12:55 pm

The free agency system is a partial remedy for the fact that nearly all good players are underpaid during their most productive years- the first 6… as to Huff, liimiting the length of the deal was more important than the yearly figure.

39. twinfan said, on November 27, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Well, I done did it.. up and killed the blog…

40. TedSpe said, on November 28, 2010 at 12:15 am

Not yet twin, ya’ll didn’t.
    Ahm gonna wake up some unpopulahs
    See iffin I kan start a little anarchy!!
    heh heh
    See ya’ll in duh funny papers…
    heh heh

41. delmardennis said, on November 28, 2010 at 8:01 am

Where’d everybody go? I know you’re not out looking for early Christmas bargains, you guys are too much of a goddamn Scrooge to buy any presents.

42. delmardennis said, on November 28, 2010 at 8:33 am

And now that we’re officially into the Christmas holiday spirit, let’s get one thing straight. I’m not one of those politically correct kinda guys who wishes you and yours a “Happy Holidays” as to not offend. Fuck that. I’m gonna wish you a Merry Fucking Christmas and you’re gonna goddamn like it.

Merry Fucking Christmas.