Jayson Werth

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 5, 2010

7 years/126 million for…. Jayson…… Werth—that is just…..there are no words…….This is why The Nats are always going to suck. There isn’t enough black *paint* in the world that Bryce Harper could smear all over his face to make this contract make any sense at all (much like that last sentence). I don’t even know where to start with this….

1) I like Werth, he’s a nice player, he’s got some pop and speed, his beard and hair are to die for, he’s got all that. But this guy might be my 12th-14th favorite outfielder in MLB. At best. Forgetting their contracts, I would prefer Shin-Soo Choo. I am dead serious. I also think Choo will have a better career when all is said and done.

2) Werth is going to be 32 near the beginning of next season, his first year of this ridiculous contract, and he’s never had 100 RBI’s in a season…..

3) He has put together 3 decent seasons in a bandbox—the same band box that Rowand parlayed into his 60 million dollar deal………

4) the BEST part about Werth is his speed and power which, basically, isn’t overwhelming either way–he’s like a 30/20 guy, at best. And he’s declining.  Next year he’s like a 25/10 guy— Where does he go from year 1? Year 4? I can’t even type “Year 7″….

5) If Bryce H is for real, he’s not going year-to-year with the Nats. What do they plan on paying Harper in 2015 or 2016 when Old Man Werth is busy collecting 20 mil for a team playing to a half empty stadium every game?

6) The Nats are now dead broke, they have no money to pay anyone and their team has 1 stud SP (who is recovering from TJ surgery) and 2 current stud position players—-Zimmerman and Werth (once Harper gets there he’d be #3, but by that time Werth will be assuming his best “Rowand Pose”). How in the Hell does this signing build a winning team? Who is going to pitch for this team? Who is going to play positions for this team? I hope my man Storen is going to turn into a dominant closer cause all good teams need one. Right?

7) Does Werth LOOK like a guy who is going to lead a team to a World Series? No. He looks like a guy who’s about to lead 5 buddies into a sweet strip joint. And now all the lap dances are on  him. Score……for his buddies.

Carl Crawford is jizzin’ all over himself right now…….

1. stixwiz said, on December 5, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Good news is that Sabean been there and done that and is highly unlikely, particularly based on recent performance. Nats were getting desperate to get someone to stick via free agency. Throw enough money at a player and he will stick. So now they’re stuck. Wish i could get even a penny for every blogger who can’t resist the “Werthlessness” of the whole undertaking.

2. stixwiz said, on December 5, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Add one: Highly unlikely to fall in that pit again should be added to that first sentence. It must be tough to be a struggling franchise, pretty much frozen out of the buzz. Giants are not likely to have to walk that path again for some time. Feeling compassion for the Nats? Well, they’re not the LaBumbos or the Evil Empire. Why not?

3. snarkk said, on December 5, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Scott Boras must have some magic potion or slips some drugs into the GM and owners water when they have meetings. If I were a GM, I would just shun any player represented by this dude…

4. Flavor said, on December 5, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Snarkk– Boras has to be one of the best negotiators of our lifetime. What he says/does/threatens/suggests at a negotiating table must be mind boggling. He’s a genius at his trade, that is undisputable.
    If any of us walked into a Boras Owned Whore House, dead set on not spending more than $200 on the finest pussy available, we would walk out of said-whore house, dazed and confused wondering how Scott Boras talked us into screwing our own mother and paying $5,000 for the great honor to do so……..

5. ewisco said, on December 5, 2010 at 8:41 pm

flav, brutal.

that being said (and my mother being safe!), you truly have to wonder. why anyone gets more than three years is beyond me. I love the new giants’ philosophy of two years. while we watch what seems to be our key opponents trade/sign themselves into oblivion, who will rise in their place? the pads have left the building. the rox are tied now to tulo. that contract is going to kill them long term (though i’d love to have the guy!). the dodgers? the snakes?

Is it going to be cincy? I’m saying not with dusty. atlanta looks good. mets? st lou? they are always a pain in the giants’ ass.

shockingly, and a bit scary, i don’t see much in the way of a repeat.

health will be the big difference.

well, that and NO whitey.

6. San Dog said, on December 5, 2010 at 9:13 pm

“He looks like a guy who’s about to lead 5 buddies into a sweet strip joint”
    ….you’ve had many great lines Flav, but that is an instant classic in my book. As I’ve said before here many times, I love Werth—-probably my favorite non-Giant in MLB. I was hoping we’d go for him, but that is one crazy-ass contract.
    I am glad the Doggers didn’t end up with him as I think he would have been a great fit there.

7. twinfan said, on December 5, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Werth is going to another bandbox, so he won’t suffer as much as Rowand did. You can toss a coin on whether Werth or Rowand had better numbers their last year in Philly-very close. Now Werth *is* better than Rowand, in other words: he’s worth Rowand’s contract. No more. It’s dumb ass teams like Washington that make World Championships for other teams possible..

8. Rough Trade said, on December 5, 2010 at 11:01 pm

Yeah, I’m loving the fact that a team like Wa ponied up the money to keep him from Bsn or some other serious contender, even though I think Werth is overrated. Teams are desperate because there are few options avail. Crawford will get an obscene deal now and probably struggle trying to live up to it.

9. Flavor said, on December 6, 2010 at 6:06 am

I’d hardly call Washington’s park a “bandbox”. There are 7 NL parks that yielded more average HR’s a game in ’10:

And now that Dunn is gone that # will go down further since he hits 40 a year no matter where he is hitting and there is no way in Hell Werth hits 40 next year. Book it.
    Jayson Werth will struggle to hit 30 bombs next year and 2011 might be the last time he sees 30+ bombs in a season…..
    Dude is injury prone too, I forgot to include that in last night’s post…..

10. Bozo said, on December 6, 2010 at 7:13 am

Far be it from me to criticize a GM or a team on their off-season moves BUT my first reaction to the Werth signing was, that’s just nuts. My second reaction was, that’s just fucking nuts.

11. twinfan said, on December 6, 2010 at 7:22 am

I was hasty in cailng it a bandbox, but the larger point is really that Rowand’s splits guaranteed he would suffer at ATT. Never said or inferred that Werth would do as well away from Philly. He’ll do better than Rowand did- as you fucks like to say-book it.

12. Flavor said, on December 6, 2010 at 7:39 am

Doing “better than Rowand did” is not that hard to accomplish. I rolled out of bed successfully this morning and I bet that was better than Rowand did….

13. Flavor said, on December 6, 2010 at 7:40 am

anyone got any Winter Meeting thoughts or predictions?

14. Troy said, on December 6, 2010 at 7:56 am

I would still take Ginzu Knife Choo even if he had to serve his two years in the Korean military!

15. twinfan said, on December 6, 2010 at 8:17 am

“Doing “better than Rowand did” is not that hard to accomplish.” If they pull off the Rowand/Ibanez deal, we can do some comparing.

16. Flavor said, on December 6, 2010 at 8:39 am

Choo doesn’t have to do his military time, he gets an exemption for winning the Gold Medal last week (or whatever the Hell South Korea won).

17. Kevin said, on December 6, 2010 at 8:40 am

My thoughts are how can a MLB team look around the league and not know not to pay someone like that. I mean if I was the Nats owners I would have just gone and looked at the Giants and Zito. Over 30 I am giving that player 4 years max option for a fifth…of Jameson.

18. Unca Chuck said, on December 6, 2010 at 9:06 am

“Half empty stadium’ is being very magnanimous, flav.

They’ll be playing in front of 6-8,000 fans by then.

The thing is, when has a long-term deal (5-7 year) ever WORKED for the team doing it? A-Rod-Texas? Nope. Kevin Brown? Nope. Zito? No. Rowand? No.

Torii Hunter seems to be about the best of the bunch. I’m sure others have worked out, but 90% of them don’t. Mind-boggling.

Shit, you wiki Boras, and it’s just insane. Texiera 8/$180 mill? Strasburg $15 mill? 7/$120 mill for Hollliday? Zito. Now you have Werth? Yeah, he’s a nice little player. 3/$27 mill? Sure. 7/$126????????? Who were they bidding against?

Boras must be pullilng some Jedi mind-fuck shit with these GMs.

19. twinfan said, on December 6, 2010 at 9:10 am

“anyone got any Winter Meeting thoughts or predictions?”
    Take Bochy, Sabean has been known to go big on inside straights..

20. Macdog said, on December 6, 2010 at 9:12 am

The headline in the paper this morning sums it up: Nationals Lampoon. I’m just glad I never got my Phils-fan daughter a Jayson Werth jersey.

Not crazy about Ibanez, but if that’s what it takes to unload Rowand then do it. It seems like a good fit both ways, especially since the Giants will probably have to eat that last year anyway.

If Rowand does end up staying, I wonder what his mindset will be like this winter. Last season must’ve been humbling, and he has to realize he’ll have to significantly alter his bull-headed approach at the plate if he wants to be anything more than one of the highest-paid pinch-hitters in all of MLB.

21. zumarust said, on December 6, 2010 at 9:17 am

It’s great not to have to face Adrian Gonzalez in the regular season next season. I like that trade.

22. Giant Head said, on December 6, 2010 at 9:33 am

I am so looking forward to seeign Jayson Werth play in DC next year…..NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

What a frickin ridiculous contract! The idiots hear could have kept Dunn at half the cost for 4 years. If the Giants did not prove anything but one thing last year, no one needs to spend more than two-three eyars on any position player free agent!

What is even more laughable is that do they think people are going to be lining up to pay tickets to see Jayson Werth. The fact of the matter as was written, the Nationals still made $30 mill in profit with 3 years of 90 plus losses. So these idiots that own the team will keep doing the same thing.

The team may have just 10K showing up to games soon, but with this city, they will have a seaosn-ticket sales in 20-25,000 reagrdless of what they put on the field with companies, firms and lobbyists in long supply in DC…and ownership will keep putting the same crap on the field.

One could have made the argument that Crawford would be worth that kind of money for the Nats for the type of player he is, but look at Vernon Wells…

23. Giant Head said, on December 6, 2010 at 9:37 am

Most fans including me, put out some ridiculous trade offers, but Flav’s Rowand for Ibanez makes too much sense.

Sabean wants to add more left-handed hitters to the roster, Rowand will hardly play, so Burrell and Ibanez can platoon easily in left.

Eating Rowand’s 2012 salary is probably a must…we would save a couple million this year (almost $2.5 mill) , so eating his 2012 salary would be eating about $11 mill…but we have $18 mill plus coming off the books next year with Franchez, Tejada and DeRosa, so would not be a bad year to be forced to eat salary…

Now are the Rangers ready to take Zito once Lee signs with the Evil Empire???

24. Bozo said, on December 6, 2010 at 9:38 am

The Giants can field a competitive team right now. So the winter meetings should be quiet for them, unless something to good to believe jumps out at them, a trade of mutual bad contracts/change of scenery, or bubble guys (Eli, Nate and Ishi) type deals.
    As far as Rowand goes, props still go to him on Dirty’s no-no catch and appearing (at least it seemed) to continue to be a team guy in excepting his reduced role (doubt he was happy with it but bit his lip and stayed ready).

25. twinfan said, on December 6, 2010 at 9:55 am

“Flav’s Rowand for Ibanez makes too much sense.” Flav: great guy, esteemed colleague.. but it’s not his trade proposal. It came from Chris Haft…
    Although Ibanez *may* be better offensively now, Rowand is much the better defender. I’m conflicted on the idea, especially eating 12 million. I might rather have him.

• Giant Head said, on December 6, 2010 at 11:22 am

I stand corrected thanks…

• Giant Head said, on December 6, 2010 at 11:22 am

I stand corrected thanks…I like to have that extra lefty bat with some power…

26. Nipper said, on December 6, 2010 at 10:18 am

Just keep Rowand. He may come back to life. As for the money, just forget about it. To most of us it’s like playing monopoly these baseball contracts. In a practical sense, when you attend a game don’t go on an empty stomach without bringing your own food and forget the beer. Sit in the bleachers and avoid the pricey seats. Take public transportation or at least avoid their lots.

• snarkk said, on December 6, 2010 at 11:24 am

In other words, F the players and agents when you go to a game by purposely not having a good time…

27. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 6, 2010 at 10:45 am

Very great post, Magnus, on Werth-less-than-THAT!. Truly Rizzo of the Nats was not watching the 2010 WS. No lessons learned. Preposterous. Inane. Foolish. But the silver lining for us is that everyone else goes dollar-bonkers and we keep our sanity. At this moment, with Adrian G. gone [stooooooopid], it’s the Rox or the Giants in the NL West, with a dark-horse threat from the Bums. And I see that Nipper seconds my Rowand emotion: Rowand may surprise us. In a good way. But I’d still go for Ibanez – Rowand trade in New Yawk minute. (And speaking of Gotham, anyone see the quotes by the Mets’ Sandy Alderson on the Werth deal? “Makes some of our contracts look pretty good. That’s a long time and a lot of money. I thought they were trying to reduce the deficit in Washington.”)

28. Giant Head said, on December 6, 2010 at 11:21 am

The only deal I see the Giants making this week at the Winter Meetings is that I still think a Bartlett for Affeldt deal is out there if the Rays wake up. It would be roughly salary neutral for both teams…..the Giants can stay in the $110 mill payroll range.

Ibanez deal woudl save a couple mill more for this year.

29. snarkk said, on December 6, 2010 at 11:21 am

The Rohand/Ibanez proposal makes so much sense, for both. Philly fans are screaming to dump Ibanez. Same here for Rohand. Salaries are very similar in 2011. The only imbalance is that Rohand has the extra contract year. If Ibanez flames here, he’s gone in 2012 anyway. So roster flexibility opens up — which it doesn’t under Rohand, unless they just DFA him in 2012. If Philly wants help paying the 2012 Rohand salary, fine. Negotiate the share % as best you can or some quasi-performance driven thing, then pull the trigger. Whatever the savings made in SF’s budget for 2012 is gravy, and you have opened up a 2012 roster spot for a productive player …

30. twinfan said, on December 6, 2010 at 11:32 am

I’d think that the problem with Rowand/Ibanez is that if the Giants like it, Philly wouldn’t… ditto the other way.
    “The only imbalance is that Rohand has the extra contract year. If Ibanez flames here, he’s gone in 2012 anyway. So roster flexibility opens up ”
    So they pay Thomas Neal 12 million is what Snarkk is saying..

• snarkk said, on December 6, 2010 at 11:35 am

You want Rohand here in 2012? His defense doesn’t matter, since he won’t be playing. You pay him the $12M for cheerleading…

31. dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 6, 2010 at 11:47 am

In ST and early in the seaon Rowand was having some success with Muelens’ suggestions. He didn’t really alter his stance as much as he just made some slight adjustments and returned him to his original stance of his early career. Then he brok his face and came back with the full on constipation crapper stance. If he isn’t seeing the ball well or getting the bat through the zone with his current approach then dude needs to shit or get off the pot with his approach at the plate.

32. snarkk said, on December 6, 2010 at 11:57 am

Heard on the radio that A. Gonzalez rumored to be getting 7 year deal for $178M. That makes Werth’s deal look like Kmart kash. Insane, insane money in an economy down the toidy…

33. twinfan said, on December 6, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I’m just not pretending 12 million is a trifle…
    As to Dirt’s post, actually Rowand came off the DL blazing- I think it was a 7 game road trip and he had something like 4 HR, 10 RBI..
    OK, I checked-11 for 32 on the 7 game trip, 3 HR 11 RBI… he’s just a very streaky hitter. Rest of the month he went 10 for 76…
    I’m not against the swap as much as I think the 12 million for 2012 is a deal breaker. If what Snarkk proposed about a performance clause where Phils pick up some of 2012 were done, I’d be OK with it, I guess. Let Sabes know that The Oracle approves..

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 6, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I’ve never been as down on Rowanrd as most. He plays hard and through injuries. I remember him basically carrying the club through that east coast swing. Forgot about that being right off the DL. I would just like to see the guy take a better approach. Go the other way a little bit. He seemed to do it a bit late in the season. I could care less about the salary and am more concerned abou the roster spot.

• Bozo said, on December 6, 2010 at 12:43 pm

The thing about a roster spot Dirt, if they make that trade they have get rid of someone (Nate or Ishi) to bring in someone else that can back up center.Cody or DeRosa maybe for a few games (I guess), so may not be needed right away.

34. Dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 6, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Bozo. I get all that. I am just saying that Rowand’s salary bothers me less than the fact that he wasn’t giving the club much and the (his) spot became a suck hole of ineptitude. Not hitting, not a base-stealing threat and apparently only available for CF.

That said. I would like to see Rowand turn it around.

35. Decap said, on December 6, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Weren’t people laughing when I said I could see Crawford get 6 or 7 for 120?? now the laughing is because thats low… Am I right????
    I remember my dodger friend calling him “Werthless” because he was always hurt… I guess know its “werth-a-lot” hurt or not… Just truly awful….. Regardless if the Nats swooped him from the Yanks or Bsox…..

36. Decap said, on December 6, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Nothing much to add on the Rowand-Ibanez deal… Either way its a lot of money to not play that much next year…
    I do have one question though… Why the fuck can’t Rowand play LF or RF?

• twinfan said, on December 6, 2010 at 2:16 pm

They talked about it last year then it got dropped. Seems he should be a pretty fair left fielder. They’re covered there, though, especially if Belt makes it. His main value is Torres insurance.

37. twinfan said, on December 6, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Pretty informative post from Steward at Extra Baggs.

38. ewisco said, on December 6, 2010 at 2:48 pm

just read that. i liked seeing that they’re talking to aaron about corner spots. there’s no reason on god’s green earth why he can’t play left. and i shall now open myself up to some serious twin abuse: how ’bout nate getting some cf time if he’s going to be mr. backup? he’s got right about down. he’s got the wheels and the arm for the deep throw. i’m not advocating every day (like I did last year, to much scoffing and general disdain) but why not as a better backup than rowand?

39. delmardennis said, on December 6, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Put me down for one Rowand for Ibanez happy meal deal with a side of au gratin potatoes and creamed spinach.

That would all but force us to use/keep Ford on the roster as Torres’ b/u in CF. I respect the hell outta Rowand, I honestly do. But I think we’re covered in the clubhouse with leaders and I think that’s all he basically offers at this points. Keep the fastest dude in the organization for late inning pinch running and stealing opportunities. We all know how many close [torture inducing] games this club finds itself in. Give me the guy who can win a game with his legs. Ibanez? Meh. But he’s a lefty. and I think a DeRosa/Ibanez/The Machine combo would work just find and dandy.

Really anything the Giants, Sabean and Bochy do at the moment is A-OK with me at the moment. We’re the World Series Champs for Christ sakes. Who am I to judge? Now, bring up the Niners and I’ll judge those cocksuckers straight to hell. I HATE them!

40. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 6, 2010 at 3:03 pm

This from the Boston Globe website, referring to Padres GM:

“He realized that even with Gonzalez, the Padres of 2011 would be much closer to the ones who lost 10 straight games during a pennant race than the team that surprisingly found itself leading the AL [sic] West for most of the summer.”

They all see Yo Adrian as the second coming of Teddy Ballgame. Better there than in the NL West. They also don’t see all those prospects as sure things. Natch.

41. delmardennis said, on December 6, 2010 at 3:03 pm

ESPN LA — Fielder for Broxton-Loney rumor.

I hope that’s all it is, a rumor. I think that makes the Bums way way way better. Baby Huey is a total mental case and his arm is kaput. That’s basically Fat Boy for Looney Tunes. Who in that right mind wouldn’t pull that trigger? I don’t wanna have to play that fat fuck 19 gms a yr. Really hope that trade doesn’t come to fruition.

42. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 6, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Mark Reynolds to O’s.

43. alleykat said, on December 6, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Lincecum,Cain,Wilson,Sanchez,Posey extension,buying Belt’s and Mad Bum’s Arb years out,etc….I honestly don’t see the Giants getting a premium FA for a long time.I’m just glad the mistake contracts run out at the right time to pay the players that actually led us to the WS when their clocks are up.

With the current team,the payroll will likely remain above 100 MM for a long time without signing any premium guys from other clubs.Likely they will need to continue adding Vets that want to finish out playing behind a championship pitching staff at a discount.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 6, 2010 at 3:22 pm

don’t sound so depressed about not spending risky hundreds of millions of dollars, Kat

44. delmardennis said, on December 6, 2010 at 3:21 pm

J.J. Puts heading to the Snakes w/ a 2-yr deal.

I always liked that fat guy. He rebounded nicely last yr. w/ the ChiSox. Tossed a stinker two yrs ago w/ the Mets. Maybe it’s the NL. I’m inclined to think it was just one of those yrs. Put a line through it as they say in racing. He now gives their pen at least some legitimacy.

45. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 6, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Referring to Mark Reynolds, O’s GM MacPhail said: “We don’t magically think that the strikeouts are going to be halved because he puts on the black and orange.” HEY, WAIT ONE MINUTE, ANDY. WE ARE THE WORLD CHAMPION BLACK AND ORANGE.

46. blade3colorado said, on December 6, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Boy wonder Josh McDaniels (or as some of us call him Denver . . . Mini Me Bill) is out in Denver . . . I wonder how much longer for Singletary?

47. zumarust said, on December 6, 2010 at 3:49 pm

“Rowand may surprise us. In a good way”

Alright, Pawlie- was adding the “In a good way” really necessary? (grin)

48. stixwiz said, on December 6, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Now that the Nats are done looking at Adam and figured their new Jesus will wash with their fans, they appear willing to part with Josh. No kidding. According to a blurb on MLTR, Washington is shopping Willingham. Frankly, i think he is every bit as valuable as Werth, what with his combination of high OBP and some pretty fair pop.

Can the Giants produce a package that would tempt the Nats? Would a combination of Sandoval, Runzler, Ishikawa and Schierholtz do the trick? None of the four are huge in SF’s plans, while none is without an upside. All would constitute gambles for Washington, but there is not one in the bunch who would command a big paycheck. After the big dip on Werth they may have become a bit cost-conscious.

I’d love to see Willingham added to the roster. Does anyone else see a more tempting package which would not cut into SF’s 6 “untouchables”?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 6, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Nats wouldn’t do it; too sensible.

• Rough Trade said, on December 6, 2010 at 4:07 pm

That’s an awful lot for a 33 yr old with declining OPS. Tread very carefully there. I’d go Affeldt and Nate or Ishi. Pablo is still too much a wild card to dump now.

49. Rough Trade said, on December 6, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I really don’t see the point in firing a guy with 4 games left. Surely that’s not enough time to evaluate someone else.

50. blade3colorado said, on December 6, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I could give a rat’s ass personally, but Denver fans and the media hate this guys guts, thus his firing.

• Rough Trade said, on December 6, 2010 at 4:06 pm

I was actually referring to Singletary.

51. twinfan said, on December 6, 2010 at 4:14 pm

That’s way too much for Willingham, ridiculous.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 6, 2010 at 4:16 pm

actually, you’re right; what was I thinking

back to work

lots of lake-effect snow here; maybe 10 inches

52. twinfan said, on December 6, 2010 at 4:18 pm

And don’t give me shit on that, Stix.Adding Pablo is fucking idiotic. If he shows up in shape, he’s worth 8 Willinghams..

• Kevin said, on December 6, 2010 at 4:46 pm

I was about to ask why he included a 23 year old who had a very good year and then one with some personal issues. Not very smart to let someone go after only two years. with one being allstar caliber.

53. delmardennis said, on December 6, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Word is he’s working out twice/day six times/wk.

I’ll reserve judgement until he shows up and can be seen in the flesh. A good look-see in the paddock is in order. I’m rooting like hell for the Panda. I love the little fat fucker to death. Getting him to “revert to form” would essentially be like adding a big bat. The Pablo Sandoval bat of ’09. But as of now, he’s one big IF.

• zumarust said, on December 6, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Well, I see that as the type of thing that is one of the big differences between the Flap and the Splash. Here, we’re rooting for the Panda to do well; on the Splash they just heap scorn on him, like he’s just some schmuck that never did anything for the Giants. Yeah, Pablo had an off-season this last season, but he along with Timmy the last few years provided a lot of the spark that carried over into this season, bringing some new life and energy to the team. The clubhouse and team atmosphere changed in the last couple of years, and Sandoval is one of those that helped changed the attitude of the team and the whole organization. They helped usher in the new era, after the Bonds era.

• zumarust said, on December 6, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I don’t mean everyone on the Splash. There’s a few good ones over there. (grin)

54. Flavor said, on December 6, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Giants fans, by and large, still love the Panda. Just take a look at a game, half the fuckin stadium is wearing a Panda hat. Trading him only makes sense if you think he’s not recoverable. And they have like no money sunk into him, play it out and see what happens. Shit, even if he comes to camp fat as fuck in the Spring there’s no reason to get rid of him. Just bounce him down to AAA and see if that motivates him to drop 50 lbs. Trading him would be the last thing I would do with him, what you would get in return isn’t worth what you get from him if he somehow decides to lose 50 lbs…..

55. Unca Chuck said, on December 6, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Rough, the reason to get rid of Singletary is to try and salvage the season. Interim or no, you’d think the players would rejoice with Sing out of there.

Same with McDaniels. Denver has less of a chance than SF, but they still think it’s best for them.

I do too, for SF. They should give Mike Johnson the interim spot until they get rid of everyone. From Paraage on down. Baalke is about the only guy I’d even think about keeping in some capacity. The rest? Nope. Sullivan? No. Solari? Maybe. Manusky? See how he does with Ironhead Mike out of there. ST coach? Hell no. Rathman? OK. He stays.

THIS is the time to see what they can do without the misguiding hand of Singletary. I wish they did it after the TB game. Well, really the Philly game was 0-5. They should have dumped him then.

• Rough Trade said, on December 6, 2010 at 6:36 pm

I agree. Should have done it sooner.
      Now you want to turn to a guy {Johnson}who has not even distinguished himself as an OC (in his first yr)? Good luck with that.

• Unca Chuck said, on December 7, 2010 at 10:25 am

The point is, it doesn’t fucking MATTER who replaces Singletary.

Just get him gone.

56. stixwiz said, on December 6, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Thought that floating that blimp on Pablo Willingham would draw some shots. But that’s what thinking creatively is about, isn’t it. Since somewhere around mid-season i’ve only called him Panda on rare occasions. Still high on him, but the question mark is there. As for his trade value, it could rapidly go ballistic, or it could drop like a lead balloon. At this point we are groping and hoping when it comes to our version of Kirby Puckett. I’d rate the chances of him reverting to ’08-09 form are somewhere between 56 and 60%.

Would Sandoval be worth an up and coming young shortstop ~ if there’s such a beast in existence ~ plus either a speedy young outfielder who can at least hit for average and draw some walks, or a totally reliable set-up man? Well, totally might be a bit much, but you get the drift.

Reason i brought up the whole thing is that i do not happen to consider Sandoval as one of the six Giants who are, or all but, untouchable. Giants can cover 3B, particularly if they can obtain a SS with some upside. We learned this season, something about the value of a solid defense. If a trade would bring in a player or players who can upgrade our weak areas, i’m all for it. And i do still like Willingham and so far, there has not been much rebuttal of his possible value to the Giants or if we would like him on the team, some more possible trade candidates. So far, i think Affeldt and Ishikawa have been proposed.

57. Flavor said, on December 6, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I wouldn’t pull the trigger on this, but what about signing Beltre? I could see Sabes doing that……

58. twinfan said, on December 6, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Stix, you were out of line on Pablo and will be spending another night on Elyse’s dirty sheets. The package you are proposing for Willingham is appropriate for Hanley Fucking Ramirez… good news, though: no need to bathe until morning…

59. stixwiz said, on December 6, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Say “Hi” to Helga over in Ward C. She took over from nurse Ratched. Instead of attacking the proposal, why not contribute your own proposal, TF? I threw the concept out there in good faith and then made a further clarification/amplification in my second posting. You threw up some flak on the first posting. Fine. That’s part of the reason i put it out there. You had plenty of company responding.

If you care to go back in the archives here and over at the prior site, you will be able to remind yourself that you were not alone in catching note of Sandoval back in May or June of ’08 when he was pounding the pill at SJ and showed absolutely no respect for AA pitching when promoted the first time. Ditto the Fresno jump. So as far as Giants posters go, i was probably the second wheel on the Pandwagon.

By the way, i do think that a swap for Hanley Fucking Ramirez would require a slightly sweeter package. Spending considerable time outdoors in the Northwoods winter means that daily bathing is counterindicated. Dries out the skin too much to successfully cope with well below freezing conditions.
    As per my last posting, Twin, would you trade Pablo if it probably meant strengthening the team enough to overcome a re-armed Boston or New York next October?

60. stixwiz said, on December 6, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Oops. Hilda is pissed. I gave Helga her credit. She responded that Ward C is much too critical a facility to be managed by the likes of Helga and that i should be ashamed for such a lack of respect.

61. twinfan said, on December 6, 2010 at 7:28 pm

The notion that I have to propose a trade to counter a dumb fucking idea is, well: dumb. What you’re not gettting is that it is the totally wrong time to trade a guy who could very well be a batting champ contender for the next decade. AND you throw in more. Wilingham is not worth Pablo straight up, Stix.
    Also trading a guy who is under control for 4+ years is rarely done unless it’s a Dukes or Milledge type. The FINAL idiocy: Wilingham is a FA after 2011. Go to bed.

• twinfan said, on December 6, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Frankly, your stance on Pablo is troubling. Wanting to dump him even while it’s being reported that he’s working his ass off to report in shape is not thinking I would associate with you. And for a plus 30 free agent to be.. and you add guys.

62. twinfan said, on December 6, 2010 at 7:58 pm

For Snarkk and Dennis: Alex is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccccccccck!
    BwahaaaBwahaaaBwahaaaBwahaaa!

• snarkk said, on December 6, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Like my re-current jock itch…

63. twinfan said, on December 6, 2010 at 8:23 pm

They will win their final 4, capture the NFC West, top Philly in a shoot out for the NFC Championship, finally annihilating Pittsburgh to win the Super Bowl. Alex will pass for 4 TDs and be named MVP. Look, pal, it’s my dream, OK? You’ve got Baer in a rally thong..

• delmardennis said, on December 6, 2010 at 9:43 pm

You might as well throw in some Playboy Bunnies and the Victoria’s Secret girls while you’re at it.

64. twinfan said, on December 6, 2010 at 8:26 pm

“The Indians, Tigers and Mets are among the seven or eight teams showing interest in Fred Lewis, according to ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick..”

• snarkk said, on December 6, 2010 at 8:30 pm