A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Cliff Lee and 7 Years of Him

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 8, 2010

Jeff Passan wrote another worthless piece today and all the reasons you give CLiff Lee 7 years. With Passan being an idiot, I won’t bother posting his article. If you must see it, you can find it at Yahoo Sports….

There is no rational argument for giving a pitcher about to turn 32 a 7 year deal. None. I don’t care about the soundness of his arm, his arm action, his medical history, etc. It’s just dumb. Of course, giving him 6 years is equally dumb so if you’re going to go 6 you might as well go 7, I guess.

The best part about this *players market* that has surprisingly sprung this season, is that we are going to come out of it completely unscathed. There’s no “Sabean Special” out there waiting to doom us. It’s the thing I have admired most about Brian over the last few years. He has learned that handing out 5+ year deals to aging vets isn’t exactly the way to go when you’re trying to build a contender. In fact, it’s the “Lazy Man’s” way to GM a baseball team. Anyone can look at the back of a baseball card and hand over 100 million dollars for it, especially if it’s not your own money. Brian Cashman has the easiest job in all of sports.

I’m happy as a pig 69ing his lady to sit back and watch all this financial foolishness unfold this year. Zito and Rowand are starting to look like bargains……

1. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2010 at 7:24 am

I agree; we can gain even by doing virtually nothing. Speaking of those pigs, how do you . . . oh, never mind.

2. Rough Trade said, on December 8, 2010 at 8:03 am

Can’t argue with Passan’s point that you throw logic and reason out the window when it comes to FA. Zito wasn’t worth $126m, Werth isn’t worth that and neither are many of those FA’s who have signed to multi yr 100m deals. It’s what the market will bear.
    And yeah, if you’re going 6, why not 7? What’s another 20m to the Yankees.

Shudder to think what Lincecum will command in a couple of yrs.

3. twinfan said, on December 8, 2010 at 8:42 am

Player’s market indeed-10 million for Pena??!! In last year’s market,he gets what Huff got, 3 million. And there’s a helluva a lot more evidence that Pena is done than there was with Aubrey. As Craig posted, Boras is a fucking genius-the Cubs just fucked Mommy…

4. Flavor said, on December 8, 2010 at 8:44 am

Passan is an idiot. During the Bonds saga I think his record was 6 straight days with a column saying the exact same thing. He’s also the chump who used the World Series win AS A ARGUMENT FOR why Brain Sabean is a shitty GM–Of course, he failed to acknowledge the shrewd pick ups of Torres, Huff, Uribe, Burrell etc….No, it was all just “luck of the draft”. Fuck him.

• Bozo said, on December 8, 2010 at 9:23 am

Speaking of the Bonds saga. I guess the Selig ban was a lifetime one. All these AL teams bidding on any warm body to DH and no one is taking a flyer on BB and his offer of playing for the league minimum? I mean, the way things are going, Sheffield and fucking Joe Crede will probably get Spring invites. And, no I don’t think the court date or team chemistry has much to do with a few teams sniffing around Bonds.

5. Kevin said, on December 8, 2010 at 8:51 am

I am also very happy that Sabean does not hand out the 5-6+ year deals anymore to aging vets. The last few years of Barry…now those were torture!! After last year you have to believe that Sabean is just going to wait it out and unless something just falls into his lap he is not going to give away the farm.

6. Bozo said, on December 8, 2010 at 9:09 am

Before all this blew up I was thinking it would be a slam dunk for the Giants to sign their arb guys and avoid arbitration. I guess the first and second year guys (Torres and Dirty etc..) it won’t be that big of deal. But, if I’m Cody Ross or LOOGY I might be tacking on a few additional $s to any multiple year deal offered or the numbers I’m submitting if it goes to arbitration.

7. Flavor said, on December 8, 2010 at 9:14 am

arbitration is still in part determined by a comparison of you to your peers of similar time service, so there isn’t much that’s happened so far that will effect Cody Ross…

• Bozo said, on December 8, 2010 at 9:35 am

Your right Flav, it probably won’t effect the arb numbers and Cody has two more years before becoming a FA so the Giants are still in control. Never mind.
      Think I’ll just head over to Room B and see whats for supper tonight.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2010 at 11:12 am

Magnus and Bozo: affect, not effect. Thank you.

• ewisco said, on December 8, 2010 at 12:41 pm

the ol’ verb vs. noun

• Bozo said, on December 8, 2010 at 1:07 pm

You’re right Pawlie. Time for me to go check into the room of B.

8. dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 8, 2010 at 9:22 am

I need to get Scott Boras to negotiate the day care costs for my kid. I never knew about the Child Care Mafia until I had a child.

• Kevin said, on December 8, 2010 at 9:29 am

Child care is like being handicapped, they know you need the service so they charge what they want!! I think my brother paid more than $5000 for his last electric wheelchair!!

• Unca Chuck said, on December 8, 2010 at 9:31 am

Yikes. I hope it goes 0-60 in under 6 seconds . . .

• Unca Chuck said, on December 8, 2010 at 9:44 am

Go off the grid. When my kids were little, I found an Irish girl that wasn’t exactly in this country legally. She was cheaper than the usual $1200 a month . . .

9. TedSpe said, on December 8, 2010 at 9:42 am

Days Till Pitchers and Catchers Report Photo: Well, it’s at least more circumspect then it could have been

10. twinfan said, on December 8, 2010 at 9:54 am

Hire a hooker, they’re cheaper, don’t have anything to do all day, and we all know they have hearts of gold..

11. eddacker415 said, on December 8, 2010 at 9:58 am

TF, a child and a hooker nanny (nights away, of course)
    It don’t get any better than that!

12. stixwiz said, on December 8, 2010 at 10:01 am

This time last year i was kinda sitting at the edge of my seat wondering if the Giants would pull off some sorta coup in the Winter Meetings which would make them sure-fire contenders for the upcoming 2010 season.

What a change a World Championship can make. This go-round its more like will there be a move for a backup catcher and whether the team might have to give up much to get an elite glove-man to share SS. Neither of those issues is particularly pressing, but are areas where the team could do a bit of tweaking.

It may be ten degrees and snowing a bit outta skies as grey as a Toulouse goose here in the Northwoods, but i’m basking, basking, basking.

13. stixwiz said, on December 8, 2010 at 10:04 am

Ted, how do you know if either of those pigs have been circumspected? For all i can tell they might be girl piggies happily doing what girl piggies sometimes do.

14. zumarust said, on December 8, 2010 at 10:06 am

“Franchez will probably be out pretty much through May again. Thank Keereist this guy only has one year left on the deal, he’s a walking othopedic ward….”

A bit over the top, Snarkk, IMO.

15. twinfan said, on December 8, 2010 at 10:13 am

And the Snarkker had said he “had Freddy’s back”…
    “how do you know if either of those pigs have been circumspected?”
    Well, they’re certainly not being discreet about it, are they?

16. TedSpe said, on December 8, 2010 at 10:16 am

They may not be circumspected. Pigs aren’t kosher

17. snarkk said, on December 8, 2010 at 10:24 am

I always HAVE had Freddy’s back, because his physical issues were real, he wasn’t shirking, unlike some who made those accusations on this blog and elsewhere. This lalatest surg proves again to you non-believers that the dude is like Murano glass, he has real, ongoing phyiscal issues. I got no complaints with his efforts whatever, it could be his strong effort contributes to his ailments. His D last year was super, he was gold down the stretch, and was clutch in the playoffs. That doesn’t stop me from being very happy Sabes did not put him on one of those 5 year deals mentioned above, because it looks likely he’ll be breaking down by the end of that time…

• zumarust said, on December 8, 2010 at 10:31 am

If he has a good season in ’11, the Giants will probably be interested in re-signing him for a couple more seasons, unless somebody in the minors is lighting a fire.

18. twinfan said, on December 8, 2010 at 10:38 am

We can only hope Bochy’s bribe works again…

19. zumarust said, on December 8, 2010 at 10:39 am

Anyone else been watching the Hot Stove program on MLB network? Some of those GMs look real young. You practically think they’re talking about a Fantasy team instead of a real MLB team. And you got to feel some sympathy for some of the guys taking on new managing jobs. Clint Hurdle and Buck Showalter willing to take the Pirates and Orioles jobs. Tough gigs.

20. stixwiz said, on December 8, 2010 at 10:58 am

Ted, let’s be fair and equal opportunity. Pigs are not Halal either. With all their publicity over the past few years, who would have considered Muslims as being circumspect. But maybe we should not go for full disclosure here. A bit of mystery and intrigue keeps matters a cut above the competition.

21. dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 8, 2010 at 10:59 am

zum, I have been watching that. Other than Mitch Williams it is pretty good.

22. blade3colorado said, on December 8, 2010 at 11:15 am

Anyone else hear Luke Scott’s comments about Obama’s birth certificate at the winter meetings? Scott equals imbecile. Unbelievable that there are still cretin right wingers out there that believe this shit. Pisses me off that I had this asshole on my FL team last year . . . sigh.

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 8, 2010 at 11:50 am

blade, I read the whole interview and would like to see the guy define socialism. Don’t be suprised. Facts are inconvenient to some people and this guy Scott is just another one of them.

• TedSpe said, on December 8, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Luke Scott should just shut the fuck up. No one gives half a shit about his political opinions. Not even the guy interviewing him. Fucking tool.

And stix, you’re probably right. I’ll have to mohel it around for awhile.

• Same time I don't know you said, on December 8, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Give it a rest pal . In case you didn’t know your party just took the biggest loss in 70 years …just cause the left winged media abc , msnbc, CNN doesn’t report on it don’t mean it ain’t true ! Burn one !

• Same time I don't know you said, on December 8, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Btw if Luke Scott believes this I bet you believe 9-11 was a set up by bush. Lol you libs are no different than the right

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 8, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Same time, you don’t know anyone’s political leanings so don’t pretend to.

• TedSpe said, on December 8, 2010 at 12:35 pm

My party? What does the matter that Luke Scott is a screaming moron have to do with any party affiliation I might have? Idiot.

• Same time I don't know you said, on December 8, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Pretty simple you wouldn’t have said a word about it unless you support obama, cmon let’s hear some more excuses I know their comming

23. Kevin said, on December 8, 2010 at 11:44 am

MLB trade Rumors…comments??

•The Giants are also in the market for backup shortstops. Some names they’ve floated around include Orlando Cabrera and Tigers’ utilityman Ramon Santiago. Edgar Renteria remains an option as well.

24. twinfan said, on December 8, 2010 at 11:58 am

Kevin, it also says they’re looking at “6th starter” types, and that they talked to Andrew Miller.. uh, the dude’s BEST year of 5 was 3-5 4.84 1.6 WHIP in 2009. Sounds like 14th starter type..
    Santiago ain’t bad, though.

25. twinfan said, on December 8, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Did you still need me, Blade? My answering machine screwed up and cut out before I got the message. Sounds like you’re OK.

26. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2010 at 12:15 pm

The FA market is behaving the opposite of what I expected. Seeing the kind of team Sabes & Co. put together, and how he did it, GMs in my view were supposed to concentrate on pitching, patiently work on the jigsawing together of a team, and follow organizational discipline. Instead, it’s just the opposite. Teams in a panic. As if, “Heck, if the GIANTS can win it, why can’t we RIGHT NOW?” Nuts.

• TedSpe said, on December 8, 2010 at 12:18 pm

It *is* nuts. I thought we saw the last of this idiocy the Winter of 2007. Flav’s right. Rowand and Zito are starting to look like we got them at Ross

• blade3colorado said, on December 8, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Good line Ted 🙂

• TedSpe said, on December 8, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Thanks

27. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2010 at 12:18 pm

The other day Sabean de-basked us by his talk of “savoring” all this. Or maybe it was Bochy. Or both. Savor. Savour. Savor faire. Whatever. Bask by any other name.

28. blade3colorado said, on December 8, 2010 at 12:37 pm

You’d think these guys – as rich as they are – would have advisors to tell them, “Yes, you are an intelligent person, quite articulate, and keep up with current events . . . Consequently, you should use your position to speak out on issues.”

Same conversation with an idiot like Scott, the advisor says, “Umm, not to be indelicate, but you should keep your muthafucking mouth shut on all issues except how to hit an inside fastball. When you feel possessed to say something, just think of these idiots:

“I think that the film ‘Clueless’ was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it’s true lightness.
    Alicia Silverstone

“What’s Walmart, do they sell like wall stuff?
    Paris Hilton

“Is this chicken what I have, or is this fish? I know it’s tuna but it says Chicken, by the Sea
    Jessica Simpson

“I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman.
    Arnold Schwartzanegger

“I get to go overseas places, like Canada.
    Britney Spears

“I love California. I grew up in Phoenix.
    Dan Quayle

“Smoking kills, and if you’re killed, you’ve lost a very important part of your life.
    Brooke Shields

“The Internet is a great way to get on the Net.
    Bob Dole

“I feel my best when I’m happy.
    Winona Ryder

“Half this game is ninety per cent mental.
    Danny Ozark

Oh, almost forgot . . . fuck you Same Time I Don’t Know You Said.

• TedSpe said, on December 8, 2010 at 2:07 pm

fuck you Same Time I Don’t Know You Said.
      ——————————————————-
      Very well put. This is a non-political blog. But calling anyone who thinks Obama was born in Kenya a dipshit is non-partisan. They’re either saying it simply to get a rise out of people or, if they truly believe it, they’re moronic bigots. Which in itself is an oxymoron

29. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2010 at 12:57 pm

“There’s so much snow here, I think I can see Russia from my left-wing house!” — P. Kokonuts

30. alleykat said, on December 8, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Giants brass got some good advice from Carl Weathers a few years back:

Whoa,Whoa,Whoa. There’s plenty of savvy on that Sabes.Now you take this home,throw it in a pot,add some due diligence,some tire kickin,a potato.Baby you’ve got a stew goin.

31. dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 8, 2010 at 1:34 pm

What does Apollo Creed have to do with it and how does Rocky get in the HOF and he doesn’t? What the fuck is that all about?

• TedSpe said, on December 8, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Is Mr. T in there yet?

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 8, 2010 at 2:16 pm

A buddy of mine growing up lived down the street from Weathers. Pretty cool guy actually. He would come out and play wiffle ball from time to time.

• TedSpe said, on December 8, 2010 at 2:18 pm

That’s pretty cool. Was that before or after ROCKY?

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 8, 2010 at 2:23 pm

After. I don’t know if the dude had financial troubles or what but he lived in a pretty modest home. Nice guy.

• TedSpe said, on December 8, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Huh. Maybe he just doesn’t like mansions. He might have had *some* financial problems because he’s been married like 12 times but I’m sure he has a steady income. He’s never stopped working one way or another

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2010 at 3:12 pm

Dirt, initial caps for Wiffle Ball, a brand name. And still made in the U.S.A., to the satisfaction of right-wingers, left-wingers, centrists, porcine 69ers, et alia.

32. snarkk said, on December 8, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Certainly a big part of the large increase in the salaries give at the FA top end is the paucity of talent in the crop, plus a couple of “down” years in salary levels. So, there is some pent up demand going on, coupled with limited supply of quality…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2010 at 3:12 pm

sounds like those commentaries on the news after the stock market report

33. alleykat said, on December 8, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Since the Giants are kings of the “flexibility” INF/OF.Why not make a trade for Ryan Doumit? The Pirates are trying to trade him and are willing to pay some of his salary in a potential trade.We get the back up catcher,who can also play 1B and R/F and is a Switch Hitter off the bench.Ishi and a prospect might get it done.

34. Flavor said, on December 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Please cease and desist the political talk.

• Unca Chuck said, on December 8, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I think I’ve shown remarkable restraint . . .

• Kevin said, on December 8, 2010 at 2:31 pm

yeah please do stop it

• TedSpe said, on December 8, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Yes. Very remarkable restraint , chuck

35. alleykat said, on December 8, 2010 at 2:47 pm

When Luke Scott speaks,my mind goes to a frightened Ned Beatty,running through the woods in his skivvies.

• blade3colorado said, on December 8, 2010 at 2:58 pm

LQTM

36. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Magnus, I could go all Berkeley on y’all and say, “All talk is political, given the gender-class-power matrix and its palpable and not-so-palpable influences, including, but not limited to, the myriad cultural factors affecting text, the sine qua non of which is the blatant and latent effects of political discourse on all discourse,” but I’d be an asshole to do that here.

37. zumarust said, on December 8, 2010 at 3:20 pm

From John Shea:

ESPN and Major League Baseball are trying to move the Giants’ 2011 opener in Los Angeles to San Francisco, multiple industry sources told The Chronicle.

The decision, if approved by the players’ union, would be announced soon. If approved, the baseball world would watch the Giants unveil their championship banner before more than 40,000 fans celebrating the team’s first World Series title since 1954.

The newly scheduled game would be played at China Basin on Thursday (March 31) at 5 p.m. – as ESPN’s showcase game as part of a three-game package – instead of Friday (April 1) at 1:10 p.m. at Dodger Stadium.

After the opener, the teams would fly to L.A. to play their regularly scheduled three-game weekend series.

With the added home game, the Giants would lose their April 11 home date against the Dodgers.

It’s not a ticket issue for the Giants. Season-ticket holders haven’t received their tickets, and individual-game sales for the first few home games haven’t begun.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2010 at 3:23 pm

sounds all right to me, but I’ve decided to stay back East and be responsible…still, be cool to watch on ESPN

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 8, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I’ll be at the home opener this year regardless of date. Anyone else?

38. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2010 at 3:21 pm

The WIFFLE Ball story is a refreshing bit of Americana. I myself have great memories playing in the back yard of our housing project apartment, not far from where the WIFFLE ball was invented.

39. dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 8, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I take your point Pawlie. I know you’re a writer and all but I could care less about the editing. No offense.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2010 at 3:33 pm

No offense taken, Dirt, and none intended toward you, either. It’s an editorial obsession I can’t help, plus doing my bit to help them protect their trademark. If it shows up often enough with the uppercase, it runs the risk of becoming legally generic. (Another word I fuss over is Dumpster. Such is the fussiness of editors.) Quick story: working at a newspaper decades ago, we got a letter from Coca-Cola, in Atlanta, Georgia, getting legally warned about not capitalizing their brand. Apparently, someone on what we then called the ladies pages, made reference to a “coke party” without the cap. Oh yeah. About three or four years before coke parties, lowercase but high as can be, became commonplace.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2010 at 3:34 pm

correction: If it shows up often enough WITHOUT the uppercase, it runs the risk of becoming legally generic.

• Unca Chuck said, on December 8, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Shouldn’t WHIFFLE be capitalized in the URL?

40. zumarust said, on December 8, 2010 at 3:53 pm

When we played wiffleball, we had a rule that you could get the baserunner out by hitting them with the ball. That was always one of the more exciting plays in the game.
    We also had a rule that everybody on the team had to pitch at least one inning, so if one team has the second coming of Nolan Ryan, you got to face some weaker pitchers in the game also.
    We taped a generic strikezone behind the batter. If you walked, you went to second base.

41. TedSpe said, on December 8, 2010 at 4:05 pm

I realize this is merely advertising my ignoramusosity, but I had to google…er..sorry Pawlie, Google WIFFLE Ball. I’ve heard of it forever but I never really knew what it was. We didn’t play it in my youth

• zumarust said, on December 8, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I was still playing Wiffleball into my 20s. A friend was on the youth staff of a local church, and we played in the youth center (which had been the old sanctuary) on nights when there were no acitivities going on.
      So, it had a balconey. In leftfield. Into the balconey was a homerun, everything else was live. Rightfield was a ridiculously close wall, with a doorway that we left open. A shot through the doorway would take the ball down a corridor.
      Underneath the balconey in leftfield, there were three doorways to the old narthex (lobby.) We left all three doors open.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I’d have loved playing indoors in a baseball cathedral!

42. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2010 at 4:16 pm

We also played Strikeout, a variation of Stickball (cf. pictures of Willie Mays playing with kids in NYC). With Strikeout, we chalked or otherwise marked off a strike zone on a wall (Westover School). We played with a tennis ball (some would play with a pink Spaldeen ball; hence, a former colleague from Jersey City called this game Spaldeen). All you needed was two, maybe three players. Pitcher threw to the strike zone and you argued over balls and strikes. You needed a thin bat, even a broom handle. We designated various hit areas: past the pitcher, a single; past the tree, a double; past the rock on a fly, a homer. Maybe we didn’t even use mitts. Played this for hours, often my older brother and me.

43. Mega Flavor said, on December 8, 2010 at 4:20 pm

We always played 1:1 whiffle ball. Spelled it differently too. My arm is still fucked up from it
    So who would you rather have, tejada or Bartlett?

44. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Tejada. And it is moot.

Bartlett heading to Padres, it seems.

45. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 8, 2010 at 4:26 pm

We also played a game called running bases, which upon reflection was sort of stupid. Set two bases (cardboard, whatever) in the backyard. Two fielders and one, sometimes two runners. Hardball. Runners try to get stolen bases. But, come to think of it, it was totally predicated on wild throws or misses. I think we somehow totaled bases, to keep score. Three putouts and the runner became a glove man. What a workout.

And there was pepper, too. Another good workout on a hot day.

• blade3colorado said, on December 8, 2010 at 5:06 pm

We use to call that “pickle.” Basically, it was a baserunner caught between two bases.

• Unca Chuck said, on December 8, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Heh heh heh. We played pickle with like 8-15 kids and 2 bases in grade school. Used those old hard/softs (they even make those anymore?). I think those were hard balls made for playing on asphalt. Those balls that when you hit a grounder would generate like 8,000 RPMs, and bounce all crazy . . .

• Unca Chuck said, on December 8, 2010 at 5:34 pm

If you didn’t get nailed in the back 2 or 3 times, you were lucky.

46. Mega Flavor said, on December 8, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I know he’s went to the padres I was just seeing who you would prefer, the guy they had last yr or the guy the have next yr. I’d probably prefer Bartlett just for his speed. Tejada is sort of the same guy we have at a lot of spots

47. Rough Trade said, on December 8, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Adam Russell and Cesar Ramos? I wonder who the Rays wanted from the G’s?

• alleykat said, on December 8, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Yeah that pretty well sucks Rough Trade…The Giants couldn’t find two equivalent AAA prospects for Bartlett?

48. Mega Flavor said, on December 8, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Sorry about the grammar mistakes, my ph fills shit in and I don’t have an edit button from the iPhone.
    Is there even a rumor about who sabean has talked to or are he and bochy really just playing cards all week?

49. snarkk said, on December 8, 2010 at 7:04 pm

As a kid, I played whiffle ball a lot with a ball that was half whiffle, half solid exterior (i.e, no holes). The ball was still hollow like a 100% whiffle, but you could do some funky shit with it. I loved throwing the right handed screwgie to LHs with that ball…

• San Dog said, on December 8, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Yo’uer bringing back some good memories Snarkk……my last year in COLLEGE we played a ton of drunken wiffleball. I’m a righty and when I had 2 strikes on a guy I had this screwgie that I would seriously throw at about rain gutter level about 5 feet left of home plate. It would break right and dip like a motherfucker and occasionally pass through the strike zone. Totally unhittable. I absolutely ruined my arm that year and to this day I’ve got about 30 throws in my arm on a given day before I have to shut it down.

50. Kevin said, on December 8, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Shit over on the Splash, Shea is reporting that Boras is calling the Giants to see if they have interest in Johnny Damon and Rick Ankiel. Is Shea trolling like a troll with that article or what!!

51. macdog said, on December 8, 2010 at 8:53 pm

MLB Trade Rumors reports Crawford signing with Boston for 7Y/$142M. Pretty nice haul this week for the Bosox.