A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Renteria for another year?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 10, 2010

Sure, why not? To me, this off season is all about creating options if Sandoval is too fat to play everyday. Sign Renteria as a back up to Tejada. If Pablo doesn’t cut it, slide MT over to third and let Renteria play SS. Assuming DeRosa’s wrist is good, he could be an option at third, too, and leave Renteria as a fill in.

Did Renteria’s World Series performance punch his ticket to Cooperstown? It’s a legitimate question. He’d have a better chance of going there if he went out in the blaze that was last season’s glory (and destiny). But if he wants to come back and play a utility role and help out as a leader on the team, I’m all for it…..

1. Giant Head said, on December 10, 2010 at 6:49 am

I said I would be happy bringing back the entire team from last year, but not sure what an oft-injured old man does for us as a backup. I think a lefty power hitter for the bench is a bigger help…why again did they wait on surgery for Franchez?

2. Flavor said, on December 10, 2010 at 7:09 am

Rent may have been continually injured because they were trying to play him every day. As a back up, he could totally work.
    Franchez wanted 3 different opinions on his shoulder first. Not a bad idea, but not sure why it took over a month to get 3 opinions……

• alleykat said, on December 10, 2010 at 2:25 pm

BF, Hopefully the Giants offer to Renteria is based on respect with a clear understanding of being a VERY PART TIME PLAYER.For 2 years Edgar was miserable, 6-7 trips on the DL,less than 10 HR’s over 2 years,and the range of an old man.But, he was clutch in the playoffs.It was a miracle.MVP of the W/S.For goodness sake,retire with the dignity,respect and new found admiration.Hire Edgar as a coach.Dude go out in style and grace.Another year of Edgar(and injuries) and the fans will forget his incredible contributions to our 1st W/S championship.That would be sad.

3. twinfan said, on December 10, 2010 at 7:57 am

I’m going to leave the PC post up for today-let’s get some participation….look at the FA SS list, Rent is the best. And hardly the oldest…the only thing keeping him from getting 5 or so is the injury issue.
    Orlando Cabrera (36) – Type B, not offered arb
    Juan Castro (39)
    Craig Counsell (40)
    Bobby Crosby (31)
    Adam Everett (34)
    Cristian Guzman (33)
    Jerry Hairston Jr. (35)
    Cesar Izturis (31)
    Julio Lugo (35)
    Augie Ojeda (36)
    Nick Punto (33)
    Edgar Renteria (34)

4. Flavor said, on December 10, 2010 at 8:49 am

that list is the reason I thought it would be a good idea to trade for Bartlett. And looking at what the Pads gave up, I’m quite disappointed that we didn’t acquire him.

5. Unca Chuck said, on December 10, 2010 at 8:51 am

The latest in Ninerland . . .

6. twinfan said, on December 10, 2010 at 8:52 am

Except Bartlett would have been instead of Tejada, not in addition to.

7. Macdog said, on December 10, 2010 at 9:21 am

Agree with Flav, Rent’s a good option as a reserve. Although he absolutely HAS to be in the opening-day lineup, for obvious reasons, especially if the game is moved to SF. Which means who would be the opening-day 3B, Miggy or Pablo?

8. twinfan said, on December 10, 2010 at 9:29 am

Well, maybe Edgar can play 2b. What are the odds of Fruckie being ready?

9. Flavor said, on December 10, 2010 at 9:37 am

Garko taking his act to Korea this year. What the Hell happened to that dude?

10. TedSpe said, on December 10, 2010 at 9:50 am

Rent Rent for a year? Why not. Something funky with oneflapdown77 this morning. I logged on and got to yesterday’s thread. I had to click on comments to move forward to today’s thread

11. delmardennis said, on December 10, 2010 at 10:07 am

Current bid over at the KNBR Auction to be a Giants ball dude for a game is $1,200. $1,200 to make a fool of yourself bumbling, stumbling and bending over to pick up a couple balls? I do that for free every morning in the shower.

• TedSpe said, on December 10, 2010 at 10:20 am

Well, that painted a pretty picture

• xootsuit said, on December 10, 2010 at 10:29 am

Is that $1200 bucks to audition to get into a game? I bet they weed out the guys with good hands.

• Nipper said, on December 11, 2010 at 8:45 am

Stay thirsty!

12. Unca Chuck said, on December 10, 2010 at 11:48 am

I thought Tom Seaver won the 67 ROY.

That says James Cheever

• delmardennis said, on December 10, 2010 at 12:11 pm

“Dear Henry, last night with you was bliss. I fear my..orgasm has left me a cripple. I don’t how how I shall ever get back to work..I love you madly, John…P.S. Loved the cabin.”

• Unca Chuck said, on December 10, 2010 at 3:04 pm

“Oh Farragut, Farragut, why is you an addict?”

• xootsuit said, on December 10, 2010 at 8:34 pm

wtf? Is this Seinfeld trivia or contemporary american lit? Have you guys read Falconer?

13. twinfan said, on December 10, 2010 at 11:59 am

I’d be a mortal lock.

14. Same time I don't know you said, on December 10, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I think in the back role I really like renteria. If he isn’t playing that much hiw can he get hurt ? For 1 mill if he sucks you can just cut it trade him mid early summer anyways , do it

15. San Dog said, on December 10, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I don’t want to get into a big negative rant about Rent—been there, done that many times. I’ll just state again that I don’t want to see the guy come back regardless of the terms. I’d take Izturis for a backup role in a heartbeat.

• macdog said, on December 10, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Izturis signed with Baltimore today.

16. twinfan said, on December 10, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Wow. You must *really* hate Rent.
    Izturis .230 BA .277 OBP .545 OPS

• TedSpe said, on December 10, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Yes, but he played in 150 games (insert winking gay ass smiley face)

17. twinfan said, on December 10, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Yeah.Teams always be looking for a guy to suck every day

18. Rough Trade said, on December 10, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Might as well just go with Burriss.

19. alleykat said, on December 10, 2010 at 7:11 pm

And to Flavor’s question about Edgar being HOF worthy…If Edgar Renteria is in the HOF,it’s because he is visiting and bought a ticket.No he’s not worthy.His offensive stats are nothing special and he won’t get in with his defense,which was only good when he was on the Cardinals.

Renteria has never led the league in any offensive categories and only has 2 Gold gloves.For Renteria to be elected to the HOF he would need strong offensive numbers like Robin Yount,Ernie Banks or Cal Ripken.

And you can’t really compare Renteria to even Ozzie Smith.Smith got in by being a (13 time Gold Glove winner compared to Renteria’s 2) and (a 15 time All Star to Renteria’s 5) Not to mention it was harder to get into the All Star game when he played,it barely means anything now.Hell even Alan Trammell has better stats and more A/S appearances 6 and Gold Gloves 4 then Edgar,and he’s not in the HOF which is criminal.

• blade3colorado said, on December 10, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Agree Kat . . . I love Rent for what he did in the WS, but no way is he HOF worthy. Body of work is good, but not great. Actually, we recently had a guy playing for us that will be a lock for the HOF . . . Yes, I am talking about Omar Vizquel.

• Dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 10, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Hall of Pretty Good. Okay. HOF. No away

• xootsuit said, on December 10, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Omar — HOF for sure. Edgar, probably not. Interesting comparison, though. I mean, as much as I admire the great Omar, that night in Texas would I have wanted him or Renteria to step into the box? Renteria, no doubt.

20. alleykat said, on December 10, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Agree Blade…Omar will definitely make it for his excellent glove work and longevity.Damn i don’t know how i could forget him.Shit he’s still flashing the leather at 43 amazing.

• TedSpe said, on December 10, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Omar’s even a “maybe”. GGs alone and career BA, I’d vote for him if I had a vote. But Rent? Near miss. He’s in that Will Clark, Matt Williams neighborhood.
      Even less, to be honest.
      Goodnight, gentlemen (question mark)

21. unca chuck said, on December 10, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Wow tie game with 3 seconds left in the 2nd gets to 14 pt deficit in 3:30 in the 3rd.

It is Miami though….

22. unca chuck said, on December 10, 2010 at 9:26 pm

28-8 run …………….

23. unca chuck said, on December 10, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Lebron is just sick……….

24. snarkk said, on December 11, 2010 at 10:31 am

I’m OK with Rentj as long Guillen’s wife is his mail drop. Otherwise, he’ll be a DL regular, and it’ll be Burriss and/or other AAAA call ups filling in anyway…