A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The Oakland A’s

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 13, 2010

They hardly inspire a peep around these parts. But it’s very interesting to watch this unfold for them. NO ONE wants to come play for them. That’s hardly a surprise but with the pitching staff they’ve assembled, it’s a little awkward to watch go down. Hideki Matsui? Maybe 5 years ago….

And they don’t seem any closer to resolving their stadium issues. This surprises me. Bud Selig and Lew Wolf were freaking college frat bro’s. I wasn’t in a fraternity, they only had two at Lewis & Clark when I went there and they were both lame. Anyway, maybe I don’t understand the bond and the fellowship that 2 good frat bro’s share with one another. But I have to assume that before Wolf bought the team he sat down with frat bro Selig and said “We will get the stadium deal done, right?” and that Selig gave him a reassuring “brother handshake” or whatever and Wolf went ahead and bought the team…..

But what the hell do I know about fraternities?

1. delmardennis said, on December 13, 2010 at 7:02 am

Flav, what’s the name of your very good friend, A’s friend, that you , I, and some other Flappers made a little bet about our Giants having a better record than his A’s after the year, 2013 or 2014? Billy or maybe Bones perhaps? Like it friggin’ matters a hill of beans anyways. The Mayans will take care of things come 12/21/2012 and put to an end to any and all debts both public or private with one swift stroke.

I’m not really sure what will happen that day, but I’m just glad that I’ll have a chance to be a part of history.
    First chance I’ll be able to get my goddamn name into the record books.
    So there might be a few causalities — shit happens.

2. Flavor said, on December 13, 2010 at 7:53 am

Ah Denny, you are speaking of the famous “Boney One”– Also known as “El Bonejo Grande” and “Boney Juan Kanobi”…He was also my “Main Man On the Scene” to kick down that Zito Vegas Report….

3. ewisco said, on December 13, 2010 at 8:24 am

I’m surprised that the sentiment is against the san jose move. what difference would it make to the giants? they’ll still have enough fans to fill pac belle.

4. twinfan said, on December 13, 2010 at 9:04 am

If Rowand is not moved by the 15th, the next PC goes to Pawlie-choice of the gamer or HTPC.

• delmardennis said, on December 13, 2010 at 10:43 am

Hey, Pawlie! Word on my grapevine is that Aaron Rowand is asleep at the wheel. This according to Russell Baze Inc. And believe you me, when you’re asleep at the wheel with Russell Baze Inc, well, you just might as well stay the night. Stay the night because because your horse is gonna need an extra day’s rest.

Pawlie, you got this shit in the bag. I’m headin’ straight to the window this very moment and I’m betting my last $2 on you, my friend. [one favor before I go to the window…] I love your placement of the comma, you serial comma killer you. I’d love to learn how to properly throw a comma. Then again, Alex Smith would love to learn how to properly throw a spiral.

“Nothing ventured… nothing ventured.” “Nothing comma’d… nothing comm’ed.”

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 13, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I just wish I knew what a gamer or an HTPC is or was or could be or wants to be. But I’ll still be grateful.

• Nipper said, on December 13, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I hope the A’s relocate to SJ. It will give them a fresh start. And it’s more baseball for everyone in the area. Oakland seems like a dead issue. They shot their wads with the Raiders expansion. Even in SJ, the A’s will come off as the “second team” if they don’t build a core fans can support. They need better ownership. They need some vision.

5. Flavor said, on December 13, 2010 at 9:05 am

I know a lot of Giants fans in San Jose— there’s no way they’d ever even consider switching teams. I think it would be annoying at first but then we’d all get used to them being there….

6. Kevin said, on December 13, 2010 at 9:25 am

Are you talking about a stadium in SJ?? I am soooo lost with this conversation. Where did it start and what brought it on. Hell no I don’t want them in SJ. San Francisco is one of the Class city’s of the World. Not just America but the world, so yeah they stay in SF. I could walk around France, Italy, England with a SF Giants shirt on. They would recognize SF. If I had to tell them they are now the San Jose Giants. Where the hell is San Jose????

• Max808 said, on December 13, 2010 at 9:49 am

Never cared much for the A’s, but I would like to see them stay in Oakland. It’s a shame they can’t build a stadium downtown or near the waterfront. Both areas need revitalizing big time.

I can understand the G’s not wanting them to move to SJ. It might not hurt them much initially, but in 10-20 yrs you’re looking at a new generation of baseball fans being weaned on the A’s. Then again, without the A’s in Oakland, all those east bay kids should grow up die hard G’s fans.

7. Mega Flavor said, on December 13, 2010 at 9:28 am

They are basically on the brink of moving to San Jose. They just need selig to give the go ahead. Oakland says they have a plan but it’s a mile behind the San Jose plan

8. Bozo said, on December 13, 2010 at 9:34 am

The Giants got the rights to the area in the 80s (from the As) for free, as an option to build a new stadium. They started their affiliate minor league team there in the late 80s. For the Giants to let the As have it back they want huge bucks (probably bigger than the Orioles got for the Nats moving to DC). MLB has to be careful here because the Giants financed their own stadium and even though MLB didn’t/doesn’t want teams to do that, they can’t be viewed as assisting in, or being a part of creating a failure for a team that does do it. So Selig has to come up with something that doesn’t leave a permanent stain down the back of his pants and the Giants know it.
    As a Giants fan I’d prefer they moved to Sactown, if nothing else, to get them off the top of the fold in the Sporting Green.
    Also, five words, the Raiders might follow them.

• Kevin said, on December 13, 2010 at 9:43 am

The A’s farm team is here is Sactown. I don’t think the Giants move here.

• Bozo said, on December 13, 2010 at 9:48 am

Kevin, you mean the As right? The Giants aren’t moving anywhere.

• ewisco said, on December 13, 2010 at 10:01 am

The San Jose Bees were there as far back as the ’70’s from what i remember (I went to a couple of games. great fun!). they were an indepenant team. the giants purchased them in the 80’s and converted them into an “a” class team.

9. Max808 said, on December 13, 2010 at 9:52 am

Think the poll question confused him.

10. Kevin said, on December 13, 2010 at 10:03 am

Yeah the poll and Flav’s 9:05 post, I thought what the hell?????

11. dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 13, 2010 at 10:04 am

I’ve never been much of an A’s fan but they should do everything they can to stay in Oakland. They have a real history with the city but I guess fans just don’t support them or something. Playing in that horrible yard doesn’t help but the transportation access with BART and everything is good. At the end of the day they will follow the money and Oakland should not finance anything for them.

Agree with Bozo, why not Sacramento? It is the state capital and all. Plus they have a better chance of growing their fan base to the north and east.

12. Nipper said, on December 13, 2010 at 10:50 am

SAC has a small TV market for baseball. Not good for the A’s.

13. dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 13, 2010 at 11:03 am

The A’s don’t really care where they go as long as someone builds them a yard. The frachise has a history of relocating so why not go to Oklahoma? Or Portland? Mexico City?

Who cares? It isn’t even real baseball.

14. Max808 said, on December 13, 2010 at 11:29 am

Obviously demographics are a big factor. As is the huge corporate wealth of Silicon Valley. Sactown can’t compete with that.

15. SanDog said, on December 13, 2010 at 11:30 am

I don’t like the A’s and don’t want to see them in San Jose—which I view as clearly being Giants territory. If the A’s go to San Jose, I say we move the San Jose Giants to the Colisseum, throw some tarps on the empty seats and call them the “Oakland Giants.” Then we turn Larry Baer loose painting Oakland orange and black, making it Giants territory to make up for the loss of San Jose.
    Funny thing about Sacto is that even though the A’s have their AAA team there, I grew up there and still have many friend there, and it is still much more a Giants city—-and that was before they won it all.

16. wswin said, on December 13, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Dodgers Sign Eugenio Velez
    By Tim Dierkes [December 13 at 12:24pm CST]
    The Dodgers signed Eugenio Velez, according to the team’s Twitter feed.

• alleykat said, on December 13, 2010 at 2:26 pm

LOL Dodgers, signing a switch hitting speedster who can’t get on base and barely knows what direction to run if he does.Some power,and can play multiple positions poorly.

17. Giant Head said, on December 13, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I grew up in San Jose hating the Raiders first, then the A’s…but I always wanted to world to know that San Jose was a big league city and supported all those efforts to build a stadium for the Giants.

San Jose has always been dismissed by the pop culture/news world for my entire lifetime. News stories will mention the tech companies in -places like Mountain View and then describe Mountian View as an hour south of SF. It is a frickin suburb of San Jose. San Jose has been the bigest city in the region for at least two decades and is obviously the economic center of the Bay Area. It is time for San Jose to get a major league team, even though one can ask if AL baseball is really baseball (but then we can get into my whole league realignment idea and get a SJ A’s team into a new second NL West Division)..

Giants fanns are the dominant ones in San Jose, so I always thought compensation in the $100 million rnage would be appropriate to buy off the Giants interests in the South Bay. A downtown stadium fro the A’s would be a boon for both the A’s and downtown San Jose…I will still continue to root for the Giants only….I still think the Giants would push 2.5 million fans consistently even with a stadium in San Jose becausue Giants fans will always be Giants fans and will go to games iN SF regardless if the A’s move to SJ…

18. Same time I don't know you said, on December 13, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Fuck the jokeland A’s. Sj is giants territory end of story

19. snarkk said, on December 13, 2010 at 1:46 pm

The Coliseum is what, 10 miles as the crow flies from ATT? San Jose is 50 miles away. So, big deal. San Jose can have the A’s, it won’t hurt the Giants much in attendance, if at all. I don’t blame them, but the Giants are just posturing for as much $ as they can get from the move, mostly out of fear of loss of luxury box dough and Silicon Valley advertisers. That can be overcome, Baer just might have to finally break a sweat to do it. This “territorial” thing was never intended as a permanent, sole claim on the south bay, since it was done to help the Giants in THEIR potential move to SC county in the early 90s. The A’s even agreed to it at that time, with that understanding. That move never happened, so the territorial thing as part of the reason the Giants built ATT is total fiction. If someone has proof otherwise, let’s hear it. If I were San Jose, I’d threaten to have the local congress people start a bill in Congress to pull baseball’s anti trust exemption if the Giants don’t back down…

20. Unca Chuck said, on December 13, 2010 at 1:46 pm

The A’s ceded the rights to SJ when the Giants were struggling to stay here in 1992. I don’t know if the Giants paid Wally Haas for them. If the A’s want the rights, they’ll have to pay through the nose to get them.

Unless the Giants feel like returning the favor.

21. Unca Chuck said, on December 13, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Frankly, why should the Giants give a shit? Give ’em the rights. Most of the people that live down there are from OOT anyway. They are Cubs fans, Texas fans, Seattle fans . . .

• Nipper said, on December 13, 2010 at 3:11 pm

BLEEP!

22. snarkk said, on December 13, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Chuck, my point exactly. The Giants shouldn’t care much about fan crossover. Won’t happen. The only issue is the corporate cash that worries them. I have never seen anything that the Giants gave the A’s squat to agree to the “territorial rights” thing. My understanding is that it was done because the Giants were basically on their way outta SF, maybe to Florida, and they needed support for a stadium alternative in SC county. The Haas family were stand up owners, and not dumb. Under the circumstances, I can’t believe they would permanently give up any claims on the South Bay for nothing if the Giants did not move down there, which they obviously, ultimately, did not. I’ve tried to find online the actual wording and document that cedes the “territorial rights”, but that must be kept in the vault by MLB. If anybody can find it, let’s have a link…

23. snarkk said, on December 13, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Here’s the actual part in the MLB constitution that cedes “operating” territorial rights to teams. The “operating” and home TV territories are different animals and vaguely defined, which I suspect is also a factor at the core of the Giants position on this. Seems to me there is plenty of room to negotiate something so that the A’s can move to San Jose and the Giants are guaranteed they don’t lose money…

Click to access MLConsititutionJune2005Update.pdf

24. twinfan said, on December 13, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Dennis: is it safe to leave the package at your door? Or will you be home Wednesday?

• delmardennis said, on December 13, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Wednesday? I might have to rearrange my schedule and bump Adriana Lima to Thursday, but yeah, I think I can squeeze in a quickie Wednesday drop.

25. Nipper said, on December 13, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I’ll accept a Twin meatloaf for Xmas if he’s in a giving mood.

• delmardennis said, on December 13, 2010 at 3:20 pm

You’ll take a piss-warm Old Milwaukee Light and like it.

26. snarkk said, on December 13, 2010 at 3:50 pm

The other day Baer mentioned the Giants are having 4 firms submit bids for the WS Ring design. Meanwhile, over on the Drumbeat, there is breathless speculation about whether/how Matsui will get his uni #55, paying/not paying the current A’s holder, whateverthehell his name is. Bask away….

• zumarust said, on December 13, 2010 at 4:01 pm

It needs to have a Golden Gate Bridge in diamonds on it, super-imposed over an SF.

27. blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I could give a rat’s ass if the A’s moved to San Jose, San Cabo Lucas or the moon. Agree with Snarkk, Chuck and Giant Head (Peter) that it wont affect the Giants attendance. More important, this reminds me of Fishfuck or whatever his name was on the Splash and other low-life A’s fans that were hyper-insecure, even though their team had won multiple World Series championships in Oakland. Ditto for insufferable Dodger fans that post on the Splash . . . Don’t these people have their own blog(s)?

Hey, we just won the World Series, let’s not stoop down to their frickin’ insecure level every time their team is mentioned. Personally, I only post here with regard to the G-Men. Yes, I dislike (hate is too strong a word, albeit, occasionally it slips out in regard to the Dodgers) both teams . . .

However, for the most part, I choose to either ignore them or give them credit where credit is due. Or, as Robert Heinlein said, “A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity.”

In short, I am all about the Giants – not some other team(s).

• snarkk said, on December 13, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Blade, I dropped my note about Matsui’s uni news vs. the Giants rings on the Drumbeat. I essentially never post there. But, I thought the irony too great to pass up to cheez off the smug A’s fans who’ve incessantly lorded over their championships on Giants fans, while their franchise is in process of going to hell in a handbasket. A little juvenile, perhaps. But, felt damn good…

• blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Yeah, but like you said, “I essentially never post there.” In my mind, that’s entirely different. I don’t know any Flappers that LIVE at an A’s or Dodger blog. Some of these assholes “Holy Grail” quest is to “plant a flag” at our blogs and attempt to give us grief. They only succeed in showing their insecurity.

• Unca Chuck said, on December 13, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Heinlein said that?

Oh grok . . .

• stixwiz said, on December 13, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Blade: Good post. Great sentiment. Nice, the Heinlein quote.

This bunch keeps amazing me with their generalized erudition, common civility and generally upbeat attitude. Three reasons for my continued Flapperization.

28. blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Addendum to last post . . . The only reason that fishfuck, barrymeforever, etc., etc., don’t post here is because Flav boots them off immediately if they don’t post constructive and intelligent posts.

• snarkk said, on December 13, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Blade, I admitted to being a little juvenile when it came to punking the A’s fans with some long-time coming Giants bask. Yet, you tried to rescue me from my admission of weakness. In my book, that’s a real Flapper move. Mille Grazie…

• blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2010 at 4:35 pm

De nada . . . my inner child comes out too (grin). Sometimes that’s a good thing.

• snarkk said, on December 13, 2010 at 8:44 pm

My basking blast on the Drumbeat is now a net 14 thumbs down over there. I think I got the intended in your face basking response from the doofus A’s fans . Their ownership continues to diss them, and waive the Bekins van right in their face, but they continue to be amused by meaningless moves like getting a washed up Matsui…

• TedSpe said, on December 13, 2010 at 4:26 pm

The 4F club
      Flappers forever, forever Flappers

• snarkk said, on December 13, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Or is that Fuckwads Forever, Forever Fuckwads?…

• Unca Chuck said, on December 13, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Live to flap. Flap to live . . .

• TedSpe said, on December 13, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Some folks would say “What’s the difference”. That’s *some* folks that is.

29. snarkk said, on December 13, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Treanor just signed a 1 year deal with Rangers for the BU catcher spot behind Torrealba. I’m tellin ya, Bengie is out there. I would NOT be shocked it Sabes brought him back over El Presidente on a 1 year deal. Would I take Bengie over El Presidente? Hell yes….

30. delmardennis said, on December 13, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Allen Ludden: The Password is. . . “bask.”

31. dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 13, 2010 at 4:34 pm

fraternities?

Isn’t that one of those deals where you pay an entry fee, get sodomized as an initiation rite and then are on the hook for ongoing membership dues?

• snarkk said, on December 13, 2010 at 4:37 pm

That, and Folsom prison…

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 13, 2010 at 4:45 pm

At least you’re gauranteed 3 hots and a cot in Folsom.

32. snarkk said, on December 13, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I shed a skin cell when I heard the Dodgers signed Velez to a minor league deal. Good kid, raw skills, but just couldn’t climb out of that basement level baseball IQ. The LA Times report on the signing was pouty about it, too — pretty amusing. It’s nice to see where the Dodgers are so screwed up they’re signing our scraps….

33. Unca Chuck said, on December 13, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Yeah, they are following the Seattle Seahawks school of signing ex-SF players . . .

Good, bad, AND washed up . . .

• Nipper said, on December 13, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Yeah bleeep it!

34. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 13, 2010 at 6:48 pm

The Lake Effect Machine is starting up again here; maybe two more feet of snow in two more days.

Gamer vs. HTPC. I’m so uninformed.

Bask. Savor.

• blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2010 at 7:12 pm

High country (elevation above 9000 feet) is getting plenty of snow in Colorado, so ski resorts doing excellent. Front range and plateau (Denver) is bone dry . . . Very, very weird we haven’t had one snow storm this year. Another indian summer day of 65 degrees today.

35. twinfan said, on December 13, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Pawlie, I sent you an E-mail.

36. blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2010 at 7:29 pm

ESPN says that Phillies are making a late run for Lee (along with known bids from Yanks and Texas). Another silly contract about to be let.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 13, 2010 at 7:33 pm

actually FoxSports first reported it, apparently, Blade; the oddity is that the Phillies say they don’t go over 3 years, at least for pitchers, including Halladay. Strange. The rumor is that mystery team 3 involves a city Lee likes. Hmmmm. Pittsburgh? San Diego? Kansas City? I smell a surprise in the works.

• blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Mystery team???? In addition to the Phils, Yanks, and Rangers? Not certain I understand . . .

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 13, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Well, I take that back. According to MLB.com, the Phils are in on it. That would be a pretty tough rotation.

Bring ’em on.

• blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2010 at 7:44 pm

OK . . . By the by, Fox might have initially reported it, but Jerry Crasnick of ESPN has a fairly detailed article on what the Phils are probably going to offer (beyond the “3 year contract” policy they have). See . . .

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 13, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Blade, no, I was suggesting it might be a team other than the Phils, but apparently that’s not the case. The talk now is that Lee loved it there and never really wanted to leave (which always puzzled me, too, why the Phils traded him). The feeling then was that he could never be re-signed. So what changed? Or is it all talk?

37. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 13, 2010 at 7:29 pm

local news report:

“Carrier Dome managing director Pete Sala says he has spoken on the phone with the Metrodome’s management and offered Syracuse’s extra roof panel, bought 10 years ago when the Carrier Dome’s roof was redone. Sala says the panel is ready to be shipped if Metrodome officials want it.”

Should’ve thrown in a little retirement gift for Brett Favre.

38. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 13, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Here’s the most delicious part of that Crasnick story (BTW, Crasnick replied to my recent email saluting a story he did on the Giants; can’t recall which freaking story in me old age):

“…and [Lee] was unbeaten in October before suffering back-to-back losses to San Francisco in the World Series.”

Say that again, Jerry.

And again, con brio.

39. twinfan said, on December 13, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I sent my recommendation, Pawlie.

40. Flavor said, on December 13, 2010 at 8:05 pm

still bummed I didn’t pay enough attention to the rules of the “who will be on the team” contest. I didn’t realize Rowand only had to make it to Dec 15th, I thought we were looking at Opening Day……

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 13, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Magnus is lawyering up for a challenge; gentlemen, (and FerretHead) start your (search) engines.

• blade3colorado said, on December 13, 2010 at 8:28 pm

LQTM . . . Good one P. Actually, both you and Stix should be attorneys. Him for the lunatic fringe conspirators (I say that with admiration Stix) and you for the progressive left. 🙂

41. San Dog said, on December 13, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I just want to give a shout out to my SDSU Aztecs. Going to their first bowl game since Marshall Faulk was a sophomore and ranked in the top 10 in the coaches poll in hoops.
    Mix those two facts along with the SFG world title and I’m on a bit of a rare roll right now with my sports teams.
    Now if the Niners can take down the Bolts Thursday (I will be in attendance rocking my Jeff Garcia jersey with pride) and the Sacto Kings can string a few wins together I’ll know things are really going my way…

42. twinfan said, on December 13, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Man, no better drives than the last two by Schaub..

• twinfan said, on December 13, 2010 at 8:59 pm

And then oops…

43. Mega Flavor said, on December 13, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Renteria is about to sign another burrell deal and return to the giants. I can dig that. All these guys for a million bucks???? Diggin it….

44. snarkk said, on December 13, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Now my Giants basking post is a net 18 thumbs down on the Drumbeat. LQTM, I’ve done my job for the off season. A’s fans are tools. Their ownership disses them, the team plays in a toilet, can’t sign any FAs worth a crap, and they’re still jackin off to a Matsui signing….

• Unca Chuck said, on December 14, 2010 at 8:19 am

Any port in a storm, Snarkk . . .

They got nothing, and like it . . .

45. snarkk said, on December 13, 2010 at 9:30 pm

If this Lee signing to Philly is true, there’s no question wherefrom the impetus for it came. The Phills saw how the Giants rotation manhandled them in the NLCS, and they’re trying to assemble a formidable answer to it. Fuckin’ bring it on….

46. Macdog said, on December 13, 2010 at 9:32 pm

The A’s are what they are, which is baseball’s equivalent of a tree falling in the forest; if they win the World Series, does anybody really notice or care? Despite an impressive history, they are rejected wherever they go: Philadelphia, Kansas City and now, it seems, Oakland. They wanna move to San Jose? Go for it. I’d bet the locals won’t give a damn about the A’s there, too.

• zumarust said, on December 13, 2010 at 10:03 pm

That’s what the A’s get for bringing “dot racing” into the world.

47. Kevin said, on December 13, 2010 at 10:12 pm

In order for the A’s to get respectability is to move away from SF. Even in their glory years, people knew who the team was across the bay that was losing and not going to playoffs or WS. SF, everyone knows them, whether they are good or bad. Unless Oakland has a bunch of dudes with handle bar mustaches they don’t get noticed.

48. Kevin said, on December 13, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Oh for the record Fuck Farve and his record!

49. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 13, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Phil Sheridan of Philly.com saying Cliff Lee essentially paid $40m for the privilege to play for the Phils, also raising the possibility of Oswalt having to be traded for salary dump. The hyberbole begins: calling it best rotation in history.

We’ll see.

We beat Doc H, Hamels, Oswalt, and Lee, did we not?

50. snarkk said, on December 13, 2010 at 10:31 pm

ESPN is full of fools. On ESPN radio, Buster Oilhead was asked how good the Philly rotation will be? He said on paper it’s the best since the Mets had Viola, Darling and Doc Gooden. The METS? RU fuckin insane? The GIANTS rotation just had the best September in 40 years, and a playoff run ERA that hasn’t been seen since the late 60’s Orioles. Were these ESPN guys born idiots, or are they paid to be idiots?. All I can say is, we’re basking, and the Phillies and Mets fans are shivering their asses off right now…

51. mrmrbill said, on December 14, 2010 at 5:28 am

And the Winner isssss…… Phils, who under-bid for Lee by $40 mil.

52. mrmrbill said, on December 14, 2010 at 5:31 am

That’s a lot of money to leave on the table — possible deciding factor? “Lee’s wife felt insulted by fans at Yankee Stadium who were rude to her and Rangers family members during the ALCS. It was unclear whether that played a part in the decision.”

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/12/13/sports/s171322S48.DTL#ixzz185nmZ1jq

• blade3colorado said, on December 14, 2010 at 5:39 am

Yeah, just read about this . . . Hype says they have the best pitching staff in the Major Leagues and punched their ticket to the next World Series. Flapper nation, including myself, says the Giants have the best pitching staff (we’ve seen Lee and already found him wanting in the WS) . . . and plan on being the NL representative in the World Series.

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck . . . as Curly would say.

53. Unca Chuck said, on December 14, 2010 at 8:59 am

Just makes it all the sweeter when the Giants smoke Philly again.

According to ESPN, Tony Romo is the best QB in Dallas history.

54. Unca Chuck said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:02 am

Didn’t Greg Maddux say something like that when the Giants were going after him?