A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Lee Makes an Already Weird Winter Weirder

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 14, 2010

5 years, 12o million? That’s still more than I thought he’d get a month ago:

“craig

to michael

show details Nov 11
I’m too sane to every come close to the outrageous deal Lee is going to get but I’d give him 5 years, 100 million. You do the math. :)”
But I love it. Good for Lee. Play wherever the Hell you want to play. And when all is said and done, 120 million goes about the same distance in Arkansas that 160 million does. Lee wasn’t absurdly rich going into this. In 9 seasons he *only* banked 23 million. I guess 120 million looks like a lot more when you consider that……
Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Oswalt….Not bad. We beat all their asses last year, but whatever, that’ll at least make our repeat run to the NL Crown interesting…
There has got to be nothing funnier than watching Cashman and spoiled brat Steinbrenner huffin’ and puffin’ their blustery bullshit as they try to make sense of this unprecedented *slight*. Ah, what do they care? They got Jeter at 3 years 56 million, they’re allllll goooooood!!!!

1. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 14, 2010 at 7:28 am

Phil-Lee [headline writers are having a blast] pulled a Burrell in that he did not follow the last almighty dollar. good for him.

BRING THEM AWN! as they say in Philly accent.

2. dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 14, 2010 at 7:49 am

Pawlie, I was thinking the same thing when I heard about this deal. Doesn’t Lee’s kid have Lukemia? One of the best treatment hospitals in the country/world is in PA.

3. Bozo said, on December 14, 2010 at 8:08 am

Good for Lee. I guess his wife found the Yankee fans to a bit rude during the playoffs. So does this open the door on dumping Blanton a bit wider (not just Boston but now the Yanks as well)? One things for sure, that puts a fork in the salary swap for Rowand.

A bit more on the territorial rights for SC County. Apparently the rights to the area were included as part of the sale of the Giants to the new ownership group in 93. Also the rights were implied as part of the Ballpark financing. Last year the City Attorney sent a letter to MLB stating the City’s legal concerns that Major League Baseball had acknowledged that it would take no action to undermine the financial viability of the Giants franchise, or the team’s ability to meet its contractual obligations with the City.
    Whatever, more information can be found here if someone wants to get more into it http://sfcityattorney.org

• snarkk said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:13 am

Bozo, what else would you expect the SF City Attorney to say? The Giants may even have asked him to write the letter. An A’s move to San Jose affecting the Giants ability to pay their land rent to the City of SF is pretty far fetched — I’d say it’s in the ozone. So that letter is puff pastry. And the way things are moving, the all important (not) Giants mortgage on the park will be paid off (Neukom said a while back that’s in 2017) soon after or maybe even before an A’s park is ready in San Jose. It’s all part of the posturing. MLB would be insane not to move the A’s. You have a big, vibrant city in San Jose surrounded by the tech capital of the world and all the money and people that entails that WANT a team, versus a city in Oakland that is more known for it’s crime and idiotic political chicanery than anything else. I think in the end the A’s will get the green light to move to SJ, and the Giants will get some sort of financial deal from MLB to grease the move. It makes too much sense for all concerned not to happen….

• Bozo said, on December 14, 2010 at 10:11 am

snarkk, it may happen that the As get San Jose but the Giants seem to be in a position to fight this until they get what they want. I don’t see the Giants backing down on this without a huge financial windfall and from all the backroom dealings to get the Giants out of Candlestick, I think MLB is stuck on this. The Giants have two major corporations, SF Baseball Association LP and China Basin Ballpark Company LLC. The first one is baseball related but the second one (I think) is considered a privately held company. The CBBC had promises from MLB not to interfere with their financial viability which was presented as part of their loan and purchase agreement. I agree that the move probably wouldn’t hurt the Giants that much, but if a case could be made that it did, that’s where the antitrust exemption would come in to play (IMO).
        I’m not an expert on this and I don’t really care one way or the other (except I dislike the As and hate those fucking split caps that the fence sitters wear). I was just saying there are some interesting backing documents that the City Attorney presented to MLB in support of the Giants.

• xootsuit said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:23 am

And nobody in mlb wants to litigate the antiquated antitrust exemption that purportedly gives them the right to divide territory so arbitrarily in the first place. Neukom knows a thing or two about antitrust law.

• snarkk said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:31 am

Xooty, I said yesterday that if MLB doesn’t come across with something for San Jose, if I’m the San Jose mayor I’m on the phone to the local congresspeople to start some buzz about a house bill to remove baseball’s anti-trust exemption. As long as everybody’s posturing, they could throw that in the mix…

4. zumarust said, on December 14, 2010 at 8:26 am

It’s possible that if the A’s move to SJ, the Giants would pick up some more East Bay fans over the years. They could step up their marketing in that area.

5. dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 14, 2010 at 8:30 am

Phillie fans are going to be bummed when Hammels is the only one to get a W in the 2011 NLCS.

• zumarust said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:13 am

MLB network pointed out that the Phils had a hard time scoring runs this season, and with the loss of Werth, they are going to have to try to be more like the Giants- win with pitching. But there are questions about the Phillies bullpen.

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 14, 2010 at 10:02 am

I’ve seen that mentioned too. I am more referring to SF’s inexplicable ability to handle front line starters at the plate. The loss of Werth is a big blow for the Phillies. They’ve still got Howard and Utley but are aging as a team. With the Lee addition the rotation gets older.

They need Rowand to fill the void.

6. Macdog said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:16 am

“For somebody of that stature, it would certainly behoove him to be a Yankee, which would probably be for the rest of his career.” — Hank Steinbrenner last week.

Flav, you undoubtedly saw that quote. There’s nothing better than seeing arrogance humbled, Yankees style. While I would have preferred Lee stay in Texas, having him sign with just about anyone BUT the Yanks — and for far less money — is the next-best thing. Do they even have a Plan B now?

Lee, Halladay, Oswalt, Hamels: That’s a damn good rotation, but we still got a better ‘pen.

7. Flavor said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:22 am

the Yankees are pretty fucked in 2010. they’ll get the WC but that’s it. No way they win more than Boston next year. And their pitching staff sucks….

8. stixwiz said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:45 am

Tim Brown of Yahoo sports opines that the Phillies now have the deepest rotation in baseball. Wonder where the dude was during the NLCS and the WS. Oddly, the Giants hitters tend to more often than not beat good pitching. But the real rub is that Lee, Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels are at the very least nicely matched by Lincecum, Cain, Bumgarner and Sanchez, leaving the decision more likely than not up to the bullpen, where the Giants boast a very clear edge.

Sticking it to the Evil Empire AND the East Coast pundits is one of my favorite parts of the game. And the Yankees’ contracts! At this point i would not do an even up contract trade of Zito for Jeter. There might be a slight temptation if they would take Rowand as well, but no deal. With both Crawford and AdGon, Baaahstin clearly has them outclassed on the field, while neither team sports anything close to world-class pitching.

Don’t automatically hand the NL East to Philly as Atlanta boasts some pretty decent pitching (as we observed in October) and has made some off-season improvements. But i think the Beast of the East will beat out the Tomahawkers by 3-5 games. If there was not such a critter as the A.L. next Fall ought to feature another contest between the Phils and the Giants. So, as i predicted back at the onset of the playoff season, the real contest in 2011 should be in the NLCS.

• snarkk said, on December 14, 2010 at 10:04 am

For most media east of Denver, the Giants do not exist. Their participation in the WS was derided or ignored, their win of the WS was forgotten the day after it happened, as if it never did happen. So be it. I try to ignore what happens in NY and Boston….

9. stixwiz said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:50 am

Flav: I’m not even sure that NY will get the AL WC next season as the Central Division now has three powerhouse teams in the Twins, Detroit and the White Sox. Both of the latter two improved themselves markedly in the offseason, while Minnesota will likely have a healthy Morneau. Any of those three could match the Evil Empire, or top them, come 2011.

10. Unca Chuck said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:56 am

All in all, a great development. I hate the Yanks because of their free-spending ways, and Boston is close behind them, but seeing Lee snub his nose at the Cranks is excellent.

Shit, come 2012 and the newly revised playoff WC deal, we will see the Yanks and Boston in EVERY postseason for the foreseeable future. I’m sure that warms Bud’s little coal-black heart to no end . . . .

“Thank you, sir. May I have another . . . ?”

11. max808 said, on December 14, 2010 at 10:02 am

“I’m sure that warms Bud’s little coal-black heart to no end . . . .”

and every owner who enthusiastically voted for it.

12. Same time I don't know you said, on December 14, 2010 at 10:26 am

Giants beat everyone of phillies staters last year (more than once) and I think we beat cliff lee too…..giants sill have the best pitching in baseball . Giants and phils starters are even now but our bullpen owns phils bullpen. Not to mention we have the best closer in baseball , the phillies have brad lidge. Hahahahhahhhh Giants!!!!!

• zumarust said, on December 14, 2010 at 10:37 am

” I think we beat cliff lee too”

Yeah- it happened in a little thing called the World Series.

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 14, 2010 at 11:11 am

I think it was the clinching game but can’t quite recall (insert gay ass smiley face).

• Same time I don't know you said, on December 14, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I know dude it was an attempt at sarcasm

13. Max808 said, on December 14, 2010 at 10:35 am

Let’s not kid ourselves. It’s still Lee instead of Blanton.

Meanwhile, Nat fans rejoice over the signing of Matt Stairs.

14. snarkk said, on December 14, 2010 at 10:44 am

Even though it’s still ECoast, it’s cool that we’re talking about the Phills, not the RSox and Yanks. We beat their ass in the NLCS, and we beat Lee in the WS. So, I say BFD he’s with the Phills. I’ll put SF’s rotation top 4 against theirs, and Zito and Blanton can thumb wrestle. Freekin’ bring ’em on for NLCS 2011…

15. xootsuit said, on December 14, 2010 at 10:51 am

So maybe next year beating the Phillies will require all seven games of the series.

16. ewisco said, on December 14, 2010 at 11:08 am

There’s a long row to hoe before the nlcs but it does have one licking their chops. would be a great series, but hard on the nerves for us. and the caution about the choppers is well warranted.

17. Unca Chuck said, on December 14, 2010 at 11:15 am

Matt Stairs? I thought he was strictly beer league softball this year . . .

• TedSpe said, on December 14, 2010 at 11:32 am

Don’t downplay Matt Stairs. He had a damn good year!
      I think it was 1999

18. dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 14, 2010 at 11:30 am

Seeing articles now that claim the Phillies are charting new ground with their approach. Unbelievable!

They’re copying The World Champion San Francisco Giants blue print.

• Unca Chuck said, on December 14, 2010 at 12:05 pm

If you listen to ESPN, it’s a bold new post-steroids strategy that no one has fully explored before now.

19. ewisco said, on December 14, 2010 at 12:18 pm

that’s one (the constant brett favre slurping another) reason I’ve stopped watching espn. if i’m home, i’ll try to catch pti but other than that . . . fuck ’em

• Unca Chuck said, on December 14, 2010 at 1:58 pm

The MLB channel is pretty good. Not that they respected the Giants any better, but they don’t constantly kiss Boston’s and NY’s ass 24/7 . . .

20. alleykat said, on December 14, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Starting Rotation….Phillies avg age 31
    Lee -Age 32 World Series Championships-0
    Halladay-Age 32 World Series Championships-0
    Hamels-Age 26 World Series Championships-1
    Oswalt-Age 33 World Series Championships-0

Starting Rotation…. SF Giants avg age 25
    Lincecum-Age 26 World Series Championships -1
    Cain-Age 26 World Series Championships -1
    Sanchez-Age 28 World Series Championships-1
    Bumgarner-Age 21 World Series Championships-1

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 14, 2010 at 12:30 pm

So what do you think? 2 year window for Philly?

21. twinfan said, on December 14, 2010 at 12:21 pm

I posted before last year that pitching was still undervalued even as this “post-steroids” era had begun. .. and the Giants would be in the vanguard of a new era. It began last year and, of course, came to fruition this year.

22. Unca Chuck said, on December 14, 2010 at 12:26 pm

There goes Mike. Giving himself the proverbial reach-around . . .

We bow to your majestic and superior cackling hen . . .

23. dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 14, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Sabean was ahead of the curve as far as a return to the fundamental approach to winning but it is the way a team should be built anyway. Excellent starting pitching and strong D up the middle.

That shit is as old as the game itself.

Steroids perverted so much about the sport.

• snarkk said, on December 14, 2010 at 12:37 pm

And, for about half a decade, he was right in the curve of signing and overpaying old, over the hill FAs…

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 14, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I’m not trying to say Sabean hasn’t made bad signings whether it be pitching (Zito) or postions players (take yer pick). You can turn the argument on its head and point to Huff, Sanchez, Lopez, Ross, Torres and Burrell. Heck even Molina was a good signing for the shitty teams he was on.

Sabean has focused on pitching for quite a while now and SF has 4 starting pitchers from within. I think that is good on his part. I’m not a Sabean aplogist. I’m just not as down on him as some and can give him credit for the good moves too.

24. twinfan said, on December 14, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Whatever, boys. Yeah, some didn’t work out. Like, uh, Pat Burrell this year.. who Snarkklefuck said was no upgrade on Bowker. He’s tried to hide from that one all year..
    Fact is, I am ahead of most of you. You know it. I know it.

• snarkk said, on December 14, 2010 at 12:48 pm

RU still trying to sell that rotten fish of a story? It still stinks…

• twinfan said, on December 14, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Oopsy.

25. snarkk said, on December 14, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Hey Swickman. Nice job on giving that tool on the Drumbeat an education about the NL and AL West. And the dude is crowing about “educating” the Splash. Unbelievable…

• swickman said, on December 14, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Thanks snarkk. I actually have no problem with the A’s. I just think that taunting Splashers without ever once citing a stat or reference is complete bullshit. It’s fun to give those types a little smack here and there.

26. delmardennis said, on December 14, 2010 at 1:00 pm

So I guess this means we won’t be phacing phucking Phat Joe Blanton again in Game 4 of NLCS when we phace off against the phucking Phillies . Whatphuckingever.

Merry Cliffmas.

27. twinfan said, on December 14, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Snarkk wrote: “Leave it to the Giants to snag a monotone player like Burrell and consider him an upgrade on Bowker. Burrell might outrun Bengie by a coupla steps to get the frig door open, plus the only leather he sports are Cole-Hahns. If he hits a few dingers, well, fine. Is he any kinda difference maker? Non, just another furniture re-arrangement courtesy of Monsieur Sabes…”
    Nice writing, bad thinking.

• snarkk said, on December 14, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Oh, tut tut. Is that what you’re yammering about? So what? The entire Giants world was saying what I said. Only worse. If you predicted Burrell would do what he did, go find that in the archives and put it out. And not one of those general prognostications you’re great at. As Burrell came on, I was right there with everybody else rooting him on. Find those snippets. I’ll predict right here and now that if the Giants rotation does well next year, the team will do well. Wow, if that comes true, I’ll be a great prognosticator like you….

• twinfan said, on December 14, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Translation: ” I didn’t think you’d find it”..

• snarkk said, on December 14, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I knew you were looking for it. So, now find us YOUR dead on prediction of how Burrell would light it up. Meanwhile, I’ll continue to enjoy the basking. And I’m glad they re-signed Burrell. Save that one so when he craters next season, you can bring that one up. I won’t give a shit then, either…

• twinfan said, on December 14, 2010 at 1:44 pm

All I posted was that Rowand would sit when Burrell came up. The notion that I had to predict he’d do as well as he did begs the issue: which is that you persistently lie about what you post. You tried it today by denying that you made that post. “RU still trying to sell that rotten fish of a story? ”
        You are a prevaricator.

• snarkk said, on December 14, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I didn’t deny I said anything about the Burrell signing. You ARE trying to sell a smelly story. You’ve brought this one up before at least once, maybe more, and I said before in response that I was one of many that thought the Burrelll signing was not worth spit. That’s in the archive, too. I was wrong, Sabes was right. So what? Now you bring it up again out of the blue, for what reason, I don’t know. I’m in too good a mood about the Giants to hassle over this. If you want to spar today over nothing, go to the Splash…

• snarkk said, on December 14, 2010 at 2:14 pm

WTF “shot at you” are you talking about? Read the posts. Chuck took a shot at you. I took a shot at Reno’s post to bring his Sabes genuflection back to earth. You need some deep breathing exercises…

• twinfan said, on December 14, 2010 at 2:08 pm

BTW, before today, I have never heard you admit to being wrong or even respond at all. You say it’s in the archives, I didn’t see it. Maybe you’ll bring it up. I’d be happy to apologize.

• blade3colorado said, on December 14, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Good article wswin . . . Similar to what AlleyKat said in regard to the Phils “over the hill gang” pitching rotation and our’s . . . Couple that with all of our rotation having not only WS experience, but WS winning experience, I don’t see how you can overlook the fact that the road to the WS is through us.

Last few lines in this article says it all:

“To hand the National League Championship trophy to the Phillies would be premature. I mean, didn’t everyone do that last season? Yankees and Phillies in the World Series, remember? Oh, wait, never mind.”

• PawlieKokonuts said, on December 14, 2010 at 5:37 pm

W,
      I loved that piece and just Liked it on Facebook. It’s a minority view, but an accurate one…but not in the minority in these precincts. BASKING. Maybe I should move to BASKING Ridge, NJ.

28. Bozo said, on December 14, 2010 at 1:51 pm

You know, I’ve missed a few opening days the last few years. I don’t plan on missing this one. I want to watch the championship flag being raised, I want to hear the words “Ladies and Gentleman, your World Champion San Fransisco Giants”. What a day that will be.

And, what a year 2011 should be (as always, barring injury). A full year of Torres, Ross, ROY, Tejada, Bum, DeRosa, Franchez (I hope) and Pat (even off the bench). The Giants went into the offseason thinking of signing their guys, a left handed bat off the bench and a fucking backup catcher, how sweet is that?

29. Same time I don't know you said, on December 14, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Urban is reporting renteria is close to accepting the giants offer

30. alleykat said, on December 14, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Yeah Dirt, gonna give you some props on your 7:49 post.According to Cowherd on ESPN Radio,Cliff Lee’s son is in remission with leukemia. Children’s Hospital OF Philadelphia is the number one place in the US for treatment of children’s diseases and the Lee’s has a good experience there when he was in Philly in 2009.That could be a real difference maker on his decision to sign here.

• snarkk said, on December 14, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Well, good luck to Lee and his son. Philly’s got great doctors; so much so that their players give up $50M to be there. The Giants? Their medicos slice open a starting pitcher’s forearm, when according to one of the top orthopedists in the country, the problem was in his neck. Go figure…

• zumarust said, on December 14, 2010 at 3:37 pm

They don’t call you Snarkk for nothing.

• snarkk said, on December 14, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Zum, the Lowry thing still bothers me a lot. He was a good kid, and a pretty darn decent pitcher. I’ve had what Andrews ultimately said he had. Misdiagnosis (as alleged) in such a case was very uncool for him, and ultimately, may be for the Giants as well. I hope Lee’s doctors get things continuing on the right track with his son…

31. twinfan said, on December 14, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Misdiagnosis is far more common than thought. He’s lucky it was just his arm.

• snarkk said, on December 14, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Agreed. For reasons not important to say here, I vigorously question physicians when they deal with me and mine. If they have a problem with that, I move on to another one. I heartily recommend everyone do the same. If you’re not happy with your mechanic, would you keep bringing your car back? Same thing applies to a doctor, in spades. And BTW, I always seek out women MDs, where possible. They answer questions, and way better hands…

32. twinfan said, on December 14, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Interesting- my lung cancer surgeon was a woman, my regular doctor is a woman, the radiation oncologist is a woman. I really only see my regular doctor to talk, my treatment is really beyond her expertise.
    I’ve had at LEAST 4 or 5 significant misdiagnoses over the last 5 years, two just in the last two months. Snarkk is right-you must be your own advocate if able.

33. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 14, 2010 at 6:06 pm

No joke: what’s the deal on our backup catching? Are we staying with Whitey or hunting for someone else? Not much left out there.

34. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 14, 2010 at 6:11 pm

A modest proposal: if the Yankees are so intent on throwing urban bushels of moolah around, why not take Mr. Zito in a trade and assume his contract. After all, he’s a lefty and has experience and . . . and . . . he’d be close to all the parties down the Jersey Shore.

• TedSpe said, on December 14, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Nice thought but that ain’t gonna happen. They’re assholes, not crazy. Zito’s making Cliff Lee money with half his talent. And the Jeter signing was more PR/damage control than anything else

• alleykat said, on December 14, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Pawlie…I’m all for a Zito trade.Since the Redsox’s now have a left hand hitting dominate lineup wit the additions of Crawford and Gonzalez.The Yanks should go after Zito.AJ Burnett for Zito straight up.Salaries should just about even out.

35. twinfan said, on December 14, 2010 at 7:06 pm

A poster on the Splash, a Room A, “ChannelClemente”, says he heard some noise about Zits and the Yankees from “some fellow from the NY Daily News had a comment or two on it on one of ESPN chat channels this morning or late last night while he was trying to downplay the Lee situation.”
    I’d say that qualifies as a minor rumor..

36. Flavor said, on December 14, 2010 at 7:23 pm

The Yankee’s have their Poor Man’s Zito, his name is AJ Burnett. If they got the Giants to pay for most of Zito’s contract it would probably be a good PR move for them (the Yankees). The Giants should be able to find a way to replace his act. Everyone talks about his “200 innings a year” but as Twin’s POTD said recently, “that’s the bad news.”
    Zito sucks. I’d love nothing more than to watch him get lit up in Yankee stadium all season long……

• zumarust said, on December 14, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Does Zito have a “no trade” clause in his contract? I’m guessing he probably does. Would he want to go to the media crucible of NY?

• xootsuit said, on December 14, 2010 at 7:39 pm

yes. no. He also gets a multi-room suite on road trips.

• snarkk said, on December 14, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Does that include the blondes?…

• xootsuit said, on December 14, 2010 at 8:32 pm

No. He pays for the blondes. Or Boras does. But there’s also a termination for cause clause in the contract that kicks in if he gets hurt surfing. Dont they have wave machine surfing in Vegas now? Small static stuff, but still . . . . I bet a good looking woman private detective could inveigle him into a midnight romp in the wave pool. Oops. Sorry about that fin in the eye.

37. Unca Chuck said, on December 14, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Hey, he could go 16-10 for the yanks and i still wouldn’t give a fuck. Just get him gone . . .

I’m sure he’s trying hard, and all that, I just get so tired of the “Aww shucks, I should been a little more aggressive in the count. I shoulda thrown more strikes . . .” You;ve been pitching for 10 Goddamn years. Stop talking like a rook . . .

38. Flavor said, on December 14, 2010 at 8:05 pm

He knows how good he has it in SF. No one says or does shit compared to what he would endure in NY. He’s not a 5/10 guy, we can trade his ass to anyone who would take him.

39. Flavor said, on December 14, 2010 at 8:06 pm

And the hilarious thing is, Zito would easily go 17-10 next year in NY……

40. Flavor said, on December 14, 2010 at 8:06 pm

with a 5.25 ERA….

41. Flavor said, on December 14, 2010 at 8:06 pm

He could also go 2-9 and get killed in some NY bar…..

42. twinfan said, on December 14, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Hughes got 6.75 run support. Nice.

43. Flavor said, on December 14, 2010 at 8:31 pm

The Yankees are just completely fucked. They’ve got 230 million pouring out the door next year (or whatever it is) and they have no fucking way to fix it. Giving Jeter 56 million and Mariano 30 million doesn’t fix your massive holes. Their starting pitching is totally fucked. Russell Martin? BAHAHAHHAHA! And they can’t even fix it with money because there’s no one out there to sign. I LOVE watching Yankee games. I LOVE following them. After being a Giants fan there is no substitute for 2nd place. I am fascinated by the Yankees……

44. snarkk said, on December 14, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Zito would work for the Yanks, in a vacuum. They score a ton, pressure’s off him. Except after a loss, he’d get absolutely drilled by the media. He’s already got the contract, so no reason for him to go there. The Angels would be a better fit…

45. TedSpe said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Fucking hell!!\
    See what you started Pawlie??!!
    Zito’s a fucking talented fuckwad who has had 3 good years in his career..the CY probably from a steroid “tryout” year that he regretted.
    Pretty good guy.
    Piece of shit pitcher.
    Enda story. Move on.
    Career ends with SF

46. Sierra Nevada said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I hate to say it, but I think the Giants must keep Zito. It is now all about pitching depth.

Look at what happened to the Padres. If they had one more starter, even someone as thoroughly mediocre as Zito, there is no way the Giants catch them. The Pads had the Giants matched at the top of the rotation for most of the year, and their bullpen was better. But the top of the rotation ran out of gas and they had to pull Stauffer from the pen to help out. The bullpen dropped a notch, and the rest is history.

With the stress put on the Lincecum/Cain/Sanchez/Bum arms by the high stress September plus the postseason, Bochy needs Zito next year. Unless Sabean has a can’t miss option for a fifth starter, either in trade or in the minors, Zito must stay.

• xootsuit said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I’m not sold on this playoff-stress theory. If one of the pitchers threw something out — a tear or rip that can’t heal without surgery — that’s one thing. Otherwise, you’d think a great off season R&R and therapeutic rehab workout regimen would result in stronger arms next year, at least in some cases.

• Sierra Nevada said, on December 15, 2010 at 7:28 am

Look at Cole Hamels’ dropoff after the phils ws run.

Innings pitched, and stressful innings pitched, do matter.

47. TedSpe said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Fuck Zito
    Motherfucker looks like he wears fucking makeup when he goes out in public.
    Eyeliner or some shit.
    Big fucking…..
    I’m through. Fuck that bitch.
    No want hear..no want say…no want speak

• TedSpe said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:21 pm

No, seriously, Ted.
      What do you think of Barry Zito?

• xootsuit said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:30 pm

He’s a faggot, right?

• TedSpe said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:38 pm

In a real sense…probably not. If you mean homosexual. I don’t know. How could I?
      But as far as being a fucking travesty to a reputation to being an elite pitcher?
      He’s a travesty.

• TedSpe said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Which drunks, often, confuse in their speaking
        (“He’s the biggest transvesti..transerbia…transexua…he’s a fagggott(uh)aagoot!!!. uuhh…Gut)

• xootsuit said, on December 14, 2010 at 9:54 pm

uh huh. Well, I don’t care what the guy looks like if he’ll pitch all season the way he pitched most of the first half of last season (or the second half of the two preceding seasons).

48. Unca Chuck said, on December 15, 2010 at 8:33 am

Think Bochy puts Bubble Boy in the 5 hole?

I’d like to think so, but he’s been 1 or 2 since he got here.