A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Our Odds to Repeat as NL Champions

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 21, 2010

These fluctuate throughout the Winter but most of the big deals are done. The Phillies are -180 to win the NL Pennant (ie, bet $180 to win $100). We are 7-1 to win the pennant (same as Cardinals). We’re 15-1 to win the World Series again.

Here are the NL West Odds to win the Pennant:

D-backs: 50-1

Padres: 50-1

Dodgers: 15-1

Rockies: 15-1

Giants: 7-1

Favorites to win the WS:

the only teams under 10-1 are the Red Sox (5-1), Phillies (+180) and the Yankees at 6-1 (that number is a joke).

Michael is generously putting up another kick-ass computer contest for the Winter. Our site hits are definitely down but he should still be able to get 20.

THE CONTEST:

Where do these players land?

La Roache

Renteria

Orlando Cabrera (I think he’s off the table since he signed with Pads yesterday)

Beltre

Vlad

Contest closes on December 26th. Email your picks to twinfan1@hotmail.com

Stop fiddling around, you and I both know that this contest will be the most exciting thing you do all Winter. Speaking of….. “Hello Winter Solstice. Here’s to you making  a quick transition to Opening Day”….

1. Bozo said, on December 21, 2010 at 7:23 am

Well, I’ve already got one wrong with the Cabrera signing. I had him going to the Twins I think. I need a mulligan here.

• TedSpe said, on December 21, 2010 at 9:27 am

Yeah, I had him to the Twins as well

2. Flavor said, on December 21, 2010 at 7:29 am

I had him going to the Twins, too. I think that’s our freebie, right? Twin will have to clarify that. There’s no way anyone had him going to the Padres. Speaking of them, WTF are they doing? They come within a game of the playoffs, then they dismantle the core of the team by ditching A-Gone. Now appearing to be back in a re-building mode, they give 12 million to Orlando Freaking Cabrera.
    Stupid……

3. Giant Head said, on December 21, 2010 at 8:09 am

I had not seen this contest, my picks are on the way in…I had Cabrera to the Pads:)

Also, if you remember the story of my friend that died in that Alaska plane crash in August, Sports Illustrated ran a tremendous story this week on Bill and his family and his three oldest sons playing college football. His oldest is a starting lineman for Stanford and the story shows what a class act Jim Harbaugh is and he should be our next coach for the Niners.

4. twinfan said, on December 21, 2010 at 8:13 am

Yes- Cabrera was the freebie- in other words, everyone gets it. But next guy that signs, contest is over. So get picks in, as of now, I have 5-nobody wins..

5. Flavor said, on December 21, 2010 at 8:19 am

Let’s do the contest either way. If we don’t have enough contestants let’s just do it for fun.

6. twinfan said, on December 21, 2010 at 8:24 am

I’m not stopping anybody. There just won’t be a prize. At least not that PC- I’ll see how many we have and adjust the prize.

7. Kevin said, on December 21, 2010 at 8:25 am

I have to do some research but I will get my predictions in.

8. Flavor said, on December 21, 2010 at 8:25 am

actually, fuck that. There’s nothing fun about doing something just for fun…

9. twinfan said, on December 21, 2010 at 8:33 am

I anticipated that, Craig-so there will be a prize. Chuckles- get your boys in. There’s time-and previous winners are eligible, BTW.

10. Max808 said, on December 21, 2010 at 8:45 am

I’m confused. I thought it was Orlando Hudson who signed with SD?

11. twinfan said, on December 21, 2010 at 8:56 am

Why do I rely on you fuckwads? It IS Hudson.Jesus Christ-Bozo and Flavor get a night in B.

12. Max808 said, on December 21, 2010 at 9:05 am

Ha, ha…

That’s an awfully sweet offer. I’d be thrilled with the mini pc you had last time.

I’ll be sending in a guess. Thanks!

13. TedSpe said, on December 21, 2010 at 9:28 am

And I still have Cabrera going to the Twins

14. Flavor said, on December 21, 2010 at 9:50 am

Wow, I fucked that one up. I’ll be hanging out with the Gomez brothers for the rest of the day…..

15. twinfan said, on December 21, 2010 at 9:57 am

Everybody has their original picks- Ghead, you need to resubmit.

16. Max808 said, on December 21, 2010 at 10:06 am

2yrs, 12m for Hudson is still a bit surprising for the thrifty Padres.

Cabrera is a tough call. He could even end up in SF.

17. Mega Flavor said, on December 21, 2010 at 10:14 am

I don’t think the padres have Amy clue whatsoever what they are doing….
    If sabean was pissed off enuf at renteria for the “disrespect stuff” I could see him signing cabrera. He and renteria hate eachother

18. TedSpe said, on December 21, 2010 at 10:18 am

Cabrera’s also had a couple of years to grow accustomed to a smaller payday

19. twinfan said, on December 21, 2010 at 10:44 am

I’m going to leave the Room B posting up so you can review the specs.

20. alleykat said, on December 21, 2010 at 11:07 am

Imo,Brian Sabean has been about as humble as a World Series winning GM can reasonably be.As far as his past “lunatic fringe” comment,well, maybe he was right about that one.

I totally reject the notion that Sabean put this team together by default.

1. Pretty much every pundit in the game thought Matt Cain was an overdraft.

2. 9 teams passed on Tim Lincecum because of his size and unorthodox delivery.Sabean didn’t.

3.Most fans and analysts thought the Giants should take a hitter in 2007.Sabes took Bumgarner.

4.An awful lot of fans thought Justin Smoak was the guy for the Giants in 2008.Sabes took Posey.

Go ahead and call 4 consecutive “Homeruns” on 1st round picks luck if you want.I call it good scouting and good decision making.

• TedSpe said, on December 21, 2010 at 11:33 am

I agree, kat, but you’re sort of preaching to the choir here

• xootsuit said, on December 21, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Absolutely. And look at the balance between college and hs grads. Excellent judgment.

21. Mega Flavor said, on December 21, 2010 at 11:40 am

Smoak? Please. Posey was universally considered the best player/hitter in the top 5. The only question was whether you could sign him or not. Nobody thot smoak was going to be a better hitter than posey

• TedSpe said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Apparently Beckham was universally considered the best player/hitter in the top 5. JK, but kat’s right, Smoak’s name *was* being bantered about. And both were asking for large signing bonuses

22. TedSpe said, on December 21, 2010 at 11:45 am

There was a couple articles about baseball cards today. One was about a group of nuns in Baltimore who just sold a Honus Wagner card for $220K. The other was about Giants WS/Rookie cards and such. But it got me thinking. When did mom and pop grocery stores stop selling these? When I was a kid that’s where I got all of mine. I only went to the card stores when I was looking for something rare. But it seems now, you *have* to go to one of these stores or the internet. When did that happen?

• zumarust said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I think it has to do with kids not buying them much anymore. The cards are mostly sold to adults now who are just in it for the collecting. I always thought the big stick of gum was pretty cool. It made all the cards smell nice, like gum.

• TedSpe said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Yeah, I liked the gum too, though a lot of my friends tossed it right away. The article said that’s no longer there either as it may mishape the cards and therefore deflect their value. Sad really.

23. twinfan said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Smoak was considered the better power prospect-no one expected Buster to show HR power this early…

• zumarust said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:10 pm

And regarding the Giants, at the time, firstbase was a yawning chasm. The drafting of Posey, combined with the picking up of Huff turned out to be brilliant.

24. zumarust said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Timmy’s new SI cover:

• TedSpe said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:14 pm

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

• Bozo said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Happy New Year Timmy. Party on dude.

25. blade3colorado said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Zum or Ted – is this an SI article about Tim or Oregon?

• TedSpe said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I think it’s the cover for the December 27th issue

• zumarust said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:22 pm

I was in Borders today, and they didn’t have that issue yet. They’ve got the one before it- with the actors from a new boxing movie….so I don’t know about the article.

• zumarust said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I’m guessing he’s part of the article: “10 who made a difference in 2010” that’s mentioned.

• TedSpe said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I’m sorry, that doesn’t answer your question. The article’s about the 10 most influential athletes in 2010. But Lincecum was the only one who made the cover

• Bozo said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Blade, sfgate says it’s about 10 athletes who provided the most memorable moments of the past year (Timmy being one of em).

• blade3colorado said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Thank you everyone . . . My gym will probably get that issue in a couple months (hand me downs that people read while doing cardio on elliptical, treadmills, and stationary bikes . . . makes the time go by faster. Grin.).

26. Giant Head said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I am back on, will re-submit Twin and steal the Twins guess 🙂

Any further word about a Rowand dump for Fukodome?

27. Bozo said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:25 pm

So Cabrera and Gomez are still out there. Alrighty then, now watch the fucking guy sign with the Yanks

28. Flavor said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Well I never wanted anyone but Posey and remembered praying that he would drop to us. He WAS considered the best overall hitting prospect of the top 5, it was just a question of whether or not he was signable…..

29. zumarust said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Regarding draft picks, the season started a little dicey when Heyward hit that homer on opening day, and Bumgarner was starting the season in AAA. The Giants drafted Bum ahead of Heyward. That pick looks most excellent now!

30. Giant Head said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:30 pm

The new SI sholdl be out tomorrow…

31. Giant Head said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:30 pm

or should

32. Unca Chuck said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Sent my picks in, Mike . . .

33. Max808 said, on December 21, 2010 at 12:39 pm

And now Belt could be a steal in the 5th rd last yr and be even better than Smoak.

Guy calling the shots.

• blade3colorado said, on December 21, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Max, this is a GREAT story about Sabean’s “right hand” man, John Barr. No idea he gave up a lucrative career to pursue his dream of being a scout. Thanks for sharing . . .

• Max808 said, on December 21, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Blade, I thought that was interesting, too.

34. Decap said, on December 21, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Living in SD, I knew it was Hudson, but for a second you guys had me thinking I was some kind of dumbass…. glad its thats all cleared up. My picks are in.

35. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 21, 2010 at 1:39 pm

You know, to beat a dead horse, or SS, I’m rethinking Juan Uribe. On Sunday, I watched NLCS Game 6. Uribe opposite-field bomb. Uribe even rubs Dirty’s back to calm him down after plunking Utley. The DVD set also includes NLCS Game 4 (that’ll be fun), with a Uribe game-winning sac fly (first winning sac fly in the postseason for the Giants since Fred Merkel, 1911 WS Game 5, vs. PHIL. ATHLETICS, no less). Game 1 of WS? Uribe HR. So, I’m thinking: Uribe, Uribe, Uribe. And when he sees Huff get 2 years, 22 mil or whatever, why wouldn’t he feel jilted? Maybe it is racial; or the market for shortstops or third basemen. I don’t know, but his contributions were huge, and I’m still thanking him. I continue to be amazed we got to the WS and won it. It is truly amazing. I mean, ball 4 to Ryan Howard and what happens? A game of inches.

36. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 21, 2010 at 1:41 pm

spell that Fred Merkle

37. Decap said, on December 21, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Christmas presents to myself came in today…. Giants WS DVD and the Playoffs set…. Amazon said they wouldn’t be arriving until next week, so thats nice….If only I wasn’t stuck at work today.

You know it will only take one Jazz Hands walkoff for us to sour quickly on Uribe in a doyers uniform….

38. Flavor said, on December 21, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I’ll be SHOCKED if Uribe produces for the Dodgers the way he did for us. His career year was last year. It’s downhill from here on out for Jazz Hands. But I agree with you Pawlie, there could easily have been some ill feelings created when Huff got that 2/22 so quickly bestowed upon him.

39. Decap said, on December 21, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Did I miss something as to why the contest was limited to those few FA? What about ManRam, Dlee, Thome, Damon, and good old Injured Johnson? And thats not even including the pitchers…..

40. Max808 said, on December 21, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Boras never ceases to amaze. Anyone want to give Beltre SIX years?

41. Flavor said, on December 21, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I wouldn’t give Beltre 3 years. 2 years/24 mil– that would be my one and only offer.

42. TedSpe said, on December 21, 2010 at 2:54 pm

The Angels just pulled their stunning offer of 5/$70 mil. Apparently that wasn’t good enought for Boras

• blade3colorado said, on December 21, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Good . . . I think he will go to Texas.

• TedSpe said, on December 21, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Well, it’s good for you. Unless it’s a negotiating ploy, it screws me. How can he not want 5/$70 mil?

• blade3colorado said, on December 21, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I can never figure out Boras. I’m glad that Sabean no longer deals with this tool, after we got fleeced by the Zito contract. Not certain, but I think I recall reading about Sabean being really steamed at Boras during last year’s winter meetings. Forgot the details though . . .

Regardless, if you are a player – you want Boras as your agent. Nine times out of ten, he “squeezes” the last dollar . . . and cent out of whichever organization he is dealing with.

43. twinfan said, on December 21, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I’m not fuckng doing every goddamn free agent, Decap. You have a problem?
    It’s kinda, like, uh, my contest.

44. TedSpe said, on December 21, 2010 at 3:04 pm

So that’s a “no” Decap, you didn’t miss anything

45. twinfan said, on December 21, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Well, if Decap wins, I’ll send a partial computer..

46. Decap said, on December 21, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Didn’t mean it as a complaint…. Just a comment after reading how many FA’s there are still out there…. Granted most of them are crappy. I am curious to see though if ManRam gets the Jermaine Dye Treatment…