A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Where All the Money Went this Off Season

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 23, 2010

Here’s the link from mlbtraderumors.com

1.2 BILLION in salary commitments this off season. And then you read the list and say to yourself “for THAT?”

The Dodgers have spent 90 million this Winter. Whoa. 90 Mil. THey must have REALLY improved themselves. And their list goes: Lilly, Uribe, Kuroda, Guerrier, Garland, Barajas and Padilla. Uhhhhnderwhelming.

I know that some teams have improved themselves (Boston, Philly) but I will say it again: I am SO happy that Sabean stayed out of the buying this Winter if that is all you get for 1.2 billion……

1. Giant Head said, on December 23, 2010 at 7:35 am

Stick with the plan…no more than 2-year deals for any position players….if we dont repeat this year, start integrating the young guys especially Belt and Crawford as starters next year…it looks like Sabean and ownership has pushed our payroll to $110 mill and will keep it there for now.

With Sabean’s comments saying they have a ceiling around $120 mill, I have confidence that ownership will approve a move at the trade deadline to add another hitter.

Plus, if $120 is the ceiling, I am very confident Timmy and Matt and hopefully BWilson are kept in the fold long-term…have I said how much I love Brian Sabean of late????

2. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 23, 2010 at 8:10 am

In November I sent a personal thank you, handwritten, to Sabes and another to BowTie. Hope I get a reply; if not, fine. If I get complimentary season tix, even better. Insert numerous gay-as smiley faces Hahahahahahaha

3. Kevin said, on December 23, 2010 at 8:15 am

here is another link to a Bleacherreport article:

And just to get your interest up this is one of the trades this guy is proposing

Jonathan Sanchez for Nick Markakis

4. twinfan said, on December 23, 2010 at 8:47 am

There’s still an amazing amount of ignorance about “playing the young guys”. It should be obvious- with Pablo in 2008 and then Posey- if they’re any good they WILL make a spot for them. Belt may be one of those, but most are like Crawford- the kid has to make them make a spot. There’s a difference.

5. Giant Head said, on December 23, 2010 at 8:57 am

Twin, playing the young guys is not a reference that they have not in the last two years, my larger point is that if 2011 does not get them back in the playoffs, let the Franchez and Tejadas go and stick these “prospects” in those spots. After 2012, no Huff, time for Belt or others if Belt has not already grabbed first base by close of next year.

The Bleacher Report on potential trades was very interesting and the focus was obviously on JSanchez being the one to go. I dont see the Orioles moving Markakis and I dont see Sanchez and Neal as proposed would land Hunter Pence. Pence would be a big time add to our roster and Sanchez would really nail down that rotation. I think something more than Neal would have to be added.

The Sanchez and Rowand for Granderson would be interesting, but Granderson makes me nervous. Like Grady Sizemore, they would have to show me something in the first half of the season to make that deal.

Prince Fielder is not going to be traded for just JSanchez and Ishikawa. I was hoping we would grab Colby Rasmus, but Sanchez is more valuable than him and I dont see the Cards in need of a pitcher and we probably dont have the type of hitter the Cards would need in exchage.

The Marlins idea for a Logan Morrision would need to get Nolasco or Anibal Sanchez to make that happen.

6. twinfan said, on December 23, 2010 at 9:11 am

If I don’t get significantly more by Sunday 1 P.M., the prize will be downsized ( have 13 so far, need 20 for the gamer). It will still be a nice PC.

7. Rough Trade said, on December 23, 2010 at 9:18 am

How does Markakis minus Sanchez make them better?

Fact: They aren’t trading Sanchez unless they have a comparable replacement.

I’d bet Franchez and Tejada will both be gone whether they make the playoffs or not.

• xootsuit said, on December 23, 2010 at 9:24 am

Weird bet, rough. You’re mixing vodka and bourbon. I bet either Freddy or Miguel will be on the team when they make the playoffs. That’s just about a sure thing. If things go wrong, who knows.

• Rough Trade said, on December 23, 2010 at 9:45 am

You misunderstood. I was responding to the comment earlier about them being moved “after” the season if they don’t make the playoffs. I think they will be gone regardless.

• xootsuit said, on December 23, 2010 at 9:49 am

oh. sorry.

• TedSpe said, on December 23, 2010 at 10:21 am

I’ve read this little tete a tete 3 times and I’m thoroughly confused

8. twinfan said, on December 23, 2010 at 9:32 am

Before they plug in, say Crawford and Culberson, they’ll have to either add bats or have Belt and Sandoval produce big time. You’d probably get an initial downgrade with the two kids, that has to be made up somewhere.
    Sanchez has increased his value- he was a Cantu, now he’s just short of a Fielder.

• Giant Head said, on December 23, 2010 at 9:37 am

totally agree on both fronts Twin…

9. Macdog said, on December 23, 2010 at 9:39 am

Just wanted to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas! I’m off to a ski resort in western Virginia and probably won’t have much access to a computer, or at least a kick-ass one like Twin’s. Christmas, of course, came early for all of us. As I told my wife after the Series, shopping for me should’ve been real easy. And the best part is I’ll get to bask in my WS swag right in front of my Yanks fan father-in-law. ‘Tis the Giants season to be jolly!

10. Dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 23, 2010 at 9:45 am

That bleacher report dude is a douche. I think Sanchez is at or close to peak value but the club still controls him, why move him? Especially with nothing comparable to fill the spot. Maybe payroll constraints drive that decision but I don’t know.

Belt and/or Sandoval come on strong there is no need for the big stick.

11. zumarust said, on December 23, 2010 at 9:56 am

If Belt has a good Spring, and they hand 1b to him, that would be cool. Huff in left, and then we’re set. If Pablo loses some weight, and shows up this Spring with the right attitude, then we’ll be OK at thirdbase. By right attitude, I just mean he has to show that he wants to really learn the game, and not just rely on the talent that got him to the majors, before finally failing him a bit last year. No more blowing bubbles with his gum while throwing the ball to first. We’ve liked the goofy Panda act, but we need to see a real serious Panda this year, that is serious about knowing what base to throw to in given situations, that can get the sac fly when needed. He needs to show big progress in learning the nuances of the game. He still has that enormous potential. When he connects, the ball still rockets off his bat. He just has to get his batting rhythm back, and find that groove again. As many have said, it wasn’t just swinging at bad balls. He could survive that; it was the missing pitches right down the middle that was a bigger concern. Or the fouling off the pitch right down the middle. He has to crush those.

12. Giant Head said, on December 23, 2010 at 10:24 am

Merry Christmas to you all, I will be out till next week.

I saw this on the Bleacher Report as well…Top 25 Bay Area Sports Stars ever. I will post their Top 10 and note how ridiculous some of these are, especially where they are placed:

Bleacher Report Top 10:

1) Jerry Rice
    2) Joe Montana
    3) Willie Mays
    4) Steve Young
    5) Timmy Lincecum
    6) Rick Barry
    7) Dennis Eckersley…Ehhhhh Gads
    8) Barry Bonds – corck of shit to put him at #8
    9) Willie McCovey
    10) Juan Marichal

My Top 10 (first of all no As or Raiders should be on any Top 10 Bay Area list)

10) Chris Mullin – Mullin resurrected the Warriors as a player and brought some all-star pride to the franchise. The RUN TMC era was an important stamp in the Bay Area sports scene. He was also the GM for good or bad that put the pieces together for the greatest modern Warriors run in the playoffs that pulle doff the biggest upset in NBA playoff history. He was only #16 in the Bleacher list.

9) Will Clark – I dont think he is even on the Belacher Top 25 list, but Will Clark changed the entire franchise with his first at-bat home run off Nolan Ryan. One can argue that Clark saved the Giants in the Bay Area and led to the first playoff appearance for the Giants in 15 years and first Pennant in 27 years.

8) Tim Lincecum – I debated whether he should qualify for the Top 10 already in his short career and not knowing if he will be here once he hits free agency instead of trying to become a demigod in the Nortwest. But back to back Cy Youngs at his age in his first two big league years when no other pitcher in MLB history accomplished that feat is mind-blowing. Plus leading the greatest modern pitching staff with two World Series victories (my World Series MVP) and the first Championship in SF history gets him into the Top 10.

7) Ronnie Lott – His presence through the 80s stamped his entire personality on this defense that won 4 Super Bowls. He was #11 in the Bleacher list.

6) Rick Barry – I was too young to even be aware of the Warriors in the 70s, so I may not be giving Barry his due, but the 6 seed seems right.

5) Willie McCovey – A true All-Star for his life! He is much bigger than the 9 spot that he got on the Bleacher list.

4) Jerry Rice – The greatest receiver in NFL history. But his greatness was surpassed by a teammate that was the dominant figure in Bay Area sports history.

3) Willie Mays – Nuff Said.

2) Barry Bonds – The national snottiness about Bonds’ accomplishments under the steroid scrutiny does not change the impact he had as a Bay Area Sports Star. His presence dominated the entire region for basically 15 years and no other athelete during that 15 year period in any other sport on any other team in the Bay Area could approach his presence. Bonds became this over-arching presence in the really start of the ESPN/24 sports news cycles that made him a bigger and constant presence than Mays had been in his era. Being ranked #8 in the Belacher report is laughable. Bonds won more MVPs than any other player in baseball history.

1) Joe Montana – He was not just the face of the franchise, he was the face of the DYNASTY! His impact was national in how well he was loved during the 80s. No other of these sport stars hosted Saturday Night Live nor had the commercial endorsements Montana had. He was the absolute biggest star in the entire history of Bay Area sports. Not only did he personally start the start of the Niner reclamation project and stated the dynasty, he won 4 frickin Super Bowls.

• snarkk said, on December 23, 2010 at 11:19 am

I’m not much on lists. But, for top 5, I’d go:

1. Joe Montana. Joe is god. Teaming up with Walsh, he took a sad sack franchise and turned it into a team for the ages. If I needed a 4th quarter drive to win a Super Bowl, it’s not Elway, not Marino, not Unitas, not Staubach, it’s Joe Cool.

2. Willie Mays. Greatest player ever. And, more than a bit of a prick.

3. Jerry Rice. Greatest player ever. Learned how to be a bit of a prima donna.

4. Barry Bonds. An all time prick, but our prick, and the most dominant offensive player in the last 50 years.

5. Rick Barry. When I was a high schooler, the season after the Dubs won it all I saw him play the Lakers at the Coliseum Arena. Lakers had Jabbar. Barry destroyed them. He scored 38 and sat out the last quarter because it was already garbage time. He scored on everything from 30 foot bombs to back door layups. The guy’s passes to teamates were like rockets, he stole passes, picked opponents pockets, had a great back door move, and had a jump shot from like a bullet. If they had the 3 pointer then in the NBA, he would’ve averaged over 40 a season. He was Bird before Bird, and better offensively. Major prick, too.

6. Stretch. ‘Cuz he was great, a gentleman, and my all time favorite Giant.

• TedSpe said, on December 23, 2010 at 11:32 am

Having Montana and McCovey kind of ruined your “prick” motif ( i know. You said Rice was a prima donna. But that’s just a polite word for prick)

• snarkk said, on December 23, 2010 at 11:38 am

Being a prick is often a prerequisite or the result of being a sports star. As far as I know, Stretch never even came remotely close to that personality trait. His persona is part of why he’s my all time favorite Giant. Montana apparently has some of it, but not to a great extent. I thought it was unimportant in my description of him, after all, he is god…

• xootsuit said, on December 23, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Montana is the worst prick of all

• TedSpe said, on December 23, 2010 at 12:05 pm

How’s that, xoot? I obviously don’t know a lot about him. I think I heard he cheated on his first wife but I’m not sure

• Bozo said, on December 23, 2010 at 12:26 pm

When Merlin Olsen got to heaven Saint Peter took him over to their brand new football stadium. Merlin was in awe as he saw all the old greats playing on the field. When he spotted number 16 under center he asked St Peter “Is that Joe Montana, I didn’t know he died?”. St. Peter chuckled and said “That’s not Montana, that’s God, sometimes he likes to pretend he’s Montana”.

• xootsuit said, on December 23, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Haven’t you heard the stories about how Montana acts at those “leadership” and “motivational” seminars he participates in?

• Kevin said, on December 23, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Lott and Rice were Raiders!!

13. Bozo said, on December 23, 2010 at 10:41 am

Flav, I looked at the top 26 players on that list (basically getting 11.5 or higher) and for just under 940 million you could field a pretty damn good team. But, would that team be a lock for WS champs? I’m not so sure about that.
    A fucking 25 man roster with contracts over 900 mil still might not get the ring, being a GM doesn’t seem that easy.

14. Mega Flavor said, on December 23, 2010 at 11:00 am

Fuck markakis for dirrrrty. Markakis has failed to reach his hype by a million miles

15. TedSpe said, on December 23, 2010 at 11:09 am

More evidence the San Diego Padres mean business in 2011.
    I just read they named John Abbamondi Vice President of Strategy and Business Analysis

16. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 23, 2010 at 11:36 am

ESPN’s Tim Kurtjian and Buster Olney ate some nice crow yesterday naming the Giants WS as top moment or something or other. Was pleasing to see those feathers in the mouth. Today, top hitting moment of 2010; Tim K. named Tulo’s 12 homers in 17 days in September and Olney rather curiously named Hayward’s first swing on day 1, a homer.

17. PawlieKokonuts said, on December 23, 2010 at 11:38 am

I don’t know if this will transfer, but here’s the greeting card the Giants have sent out:

• snarkk said, on December 23, 2010 at 11:41 am

Nice. It’s still like a dream. Giants. World Series Champs…

• Kevin said, on December 23, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Yeah I got that in an email also!! Class Org!!

18. Kevin said, on December 23, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Here is another Bleacherreport on who the Giants should get. Where do these clown writers come from???

• snarkk said, on December 23, 2010 at 12:15 pm

That list includes Chavey and Fred Lewis. Automatically it has zero credibility…

• TedSpe said, on December 23, 2010 at 12:20 pm

That’s just like writing something because you couldn’t think of anything else to write.
      Sort of like my posts

19. twinfan said, on December 23, 2010 at 12:42 pm

The OF looks pretty good as is- If Belt is more than Snow-Lite, he gets first base aganst RHers with an OF of Huff/Torres/Ross. Against LHers it’s Huff at first, Burrell/Torres/Ross…
    ifRoand isn’t moved, he and Nate are back as reserves.

20. alleykat said, on December 23, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Great to hear the Giants are in the process of locking down Kruk&Kuip to 6 year extensions.You have to keep the #1 broadcast crew in baseball intact to call more “Torture” on our way to another World Series Championship!

• snarkk said, on December 23, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I thought now the Giants weren’t into anything more than 2 years + club option…. Seriously, they might as well give K&K lifetime contracts. With so much goodwill they’ve built, they’re the main constant that keeps fans in the game thru the ups and downs of the seasons…

21. Flavor said, on December 23, 2010 at 2:47 pm

K/K weren’t ever going anywhere anyway. Those dudes are in love with each other and this organization. Primo- broadcast jobs rarely open up anyway unless someone dies or something. As I’ve always said, the only time K/K are hard to listen to is if the team is sucking balls for a prolonged stretch— their refusal to ever critic the vets during those times is aggravating……

22. snarkk said, on December 23, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Schulman’s article said K&K had hired an agent for the first time. Sounds like hardball, they must be asking for a lot. They’re ultra popular, so they’ve got the upper hand on Baer. If he didn’t re-sign them (about as unklikely as the sun not coming up tomorrow), he’d be hanged in effigy…

23. Mega Flavor said, on December 23, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Good for them, they should get paid too. Can u imagine either of those guys ever going somewhere else without one another? No chance…

• alleykat said, on December 23, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Maybe they better offer them Arbitration just in case.

24. Mega Flavor said, on December 23, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Also, where would they go? The giants gig has got to be top 6 in MLB or so.

25. mrmrbill said, on December 23, 2010 at 4:24 pm

umm … there are some games I actually prefer watching K&K on tv rather than at the park. I’ve learned more about the intricacies and subtleties of baseball from listening to them than any other commentators.

26. mrmrbill said, on December 23, 2010 at 4:33 pm

April 1st is not coming fast enough. Let’s get this friggin’ Christmas thing over with already, and get back to important things — baseball!

27. twinfan said, on December 23, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I think Comcast has Game 4 tonight…

28. Mega Flavor said, on December 23, 2010 at 7:53 pm

For some reason the pitch that Wilson struck Howard out with is burned into my brain deeper than the one he threw Cruz. Don’t know why, there was something classic about watching Howard stand there like a dumbshit watching the most perfect pitch I’ve ever seen bend right across the strike zone….

• mrmrbill said, on December 23, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I agree with your “burned in” assessment … and … it’s most Howard’s reaction. He’s like “Ump, you’re supposed to give that to me. I’m entitled, you know!”

Shock and awe.

29. xootsuit said, on December 23, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Game 4 was a lot of fun, wasn’t it? Over on the splash the dimwits are bashing K&K for being homers, etc. Not much of that showing up in the game 4 broadcast.

30. zumarust said, on December 23, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Yeah, very cool getting the K&K audio with the visual.

31. Sportdude said, on December 23, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for reprinting the lists. Great fodder for all..

Loved the Olsen joke…

Not to stir the pot, but anyone think Berkman at $8 mil is a good deal? He was hurt last year, and was VERY good for at least 5 years before that…

32. TedSpe said, on December 24, 2010 at 9:31 am

Am I the only one who has to work today??!!

• Dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 24, 2010 at 9:35 am

If by work you mean posting to the flap between emails then yes.

• TedSpe said, on December 24, 2010 at 9:53 am

Why does that not make me feel better?

• xootsuit said, on December 24, 2010 at 10:02 am

Hell, even I don’t have to work today. Where are you toiling, Ted — Scrooge & Co.?

• xootsuit said, on December 24, 2010 at 10:10 am

Scrooge and Marley. That’s what I meant.

• TedSpe said, on December 24, 2010 at 10:36 am

Marley was dead, to begin with. But I can’t say I work for total Scrooges. They gave a Christmas bonus today. Fairly generous

• xootsuit said, on December 24, 2010 at 10:50 am

Scrooge was so miserly he never paid to have Marley’s name taken off the sign. xmas bonuses are good, however.

• delmardennis said, on December 24, 2010 at 10:55 am

Define that most odious, repulsive and offensive 4-letter word known to the English language — the W-word?

If it involves pissing away money at Philly Park, a bottle of Hennessy, Dean Martin singing “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” and yours truly in a red Santa hat — I’m working my ass off.

33. blade3colorado said, on December 24, 2010 at 9:55 am

Slow baseball day and caught this interesting story and video of Belichick preventing Marvin Harrison from re-entering the field of play after going out of bounds . . . Shades of Alosi’s tripping interference. You be the judge . . .

• zumarust said, on December 24, 2010 at 10:30 am

Ah, that Belichick. What a guy. With all the cheating he’s done over the years, he’d fit right in as an NCAA football coach.

34. Flavor said, on December 24, 2010 at 10:41 am

Shout out to my Paly Vikings–State Champs and not afraid to poke a little fun at themselves– looks like a cool group. Steve Bono’s son was the QB, he’s in several of these clips.

• zumarust said, on December 24, 2010 at 10:56 am

Congratulations to the team and alumni! Winning a championship is a great experience.

35. zumarust said, on December 24, 2010 at 10:59 am

Interesting to hear Kuiper at the end of that game 4 broadcast last night. He was excited but made a special effort to stay pretty low key when the game was over. All he said was “Folks, there will be a game tomorrow.” You can just tell he was thinking to himself: “DON’T JINX THIS.” (grin)

• xootsuit said, on December 24, 2010 at 11:13 am

I thought the sync between the video and the KNBR K&K (& Flem) audio was really good. And the game itself had some great moments that had to make you flash forward to 2011 — Huff’s big big fly homer and Bumgarner’s great 8. (Or something like that.) 4-0, in Arlington. We all knew it was in the bag after that one, didn’t we?

36. zumarust said, on December 24, 2010 at 11:06 am

There were so many memorable and interesting moments in the 2010 season for the Giants. One of the ones I thought of today was when the Giants challenged MLB about the Rockies’ humidor and MLB had to admit that they weren’t monitoring the Rockies’ use of the humidor. That was an astounding admission. And, coincidentally, or not coincidentally, depending on what you believe about the issue, the Rockies’ season seemed to go downhill from there.

37. zumarust said, on December 24, 2010 at 11:10 am

I have to admit, when I was watching game 4, I thought- well, for a lot of the country, this might have been a boring World Series. The big thing being hyped before the Series was the Texas bats, and the Giants just LOCKED that down, and SHUT IT DOWN. It was darn near a sweep.

38. Flavor said, on December 24, 2010 at 11:12 am

it was one of the lowest rated world series ever (as I remember). Fuck all of them. Best one I’ve ever watched by a million miles…..

• TedSpe said, on December 24, 2010 at 11:29 am

Oh HELL yes.
      But the ratings were expected to be low. Not so much because of San Francisco but…Arlington?

• delmardennis said, on December 24, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I’m sure next yr. when we beat the Sox in the WS the ratings will be much higher.

39. alleykat said, on December 24, 2010 at 11:32 am

Hey there’s a great article about Willie Mays and the Giants World Series Championship.From writer James Hirsch New York Journal.

Google: Willie’s Giant Christmas Present

40. twinfan said, on December 24, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Just had a nice visit from a woman I’ve loved for ten years- unrequited, alas. Now she’s married at 50. She’s a doctor in Santa Rosa, used to live across the street. Nice, but bittersweet…
    Plans for Christmas? I’m alone with the boys ( Mickey, Zeke). Baking a ham anyway, the girls will be here Sunday for the game.

• zumarust said, on December 24, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Merry Christmas, dude!

• zumarust said, on December 24, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Someone was saying Game 5 is on tonight? Ah, that would be far better to watch than the Hawaiian Bowl!

41. zumarust said, on December 24, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I’d forgotten that Bum pitched 8 innings in that game. I thought it was 7. Man, how impressive was that. I was watching the MLB network this morning, and they were showing clips from the ’71 World Series, and at one point they were gushing about a young Pirate pitcher that went 5 or 6 scoreless innings. What Bum did was absolutely remarkable, and becomes even more remarkable in hindsight.

42. zumarust said, on December 24, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Looks like I’ve got my first Giants game of ’11 nailed down. I’ll be at the April 23rd game vs. Atlanta. Looks likely for May 8th against the Rockies, also.

• zumarust said, on December 24, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Oops, I messed up on that. The May 8th in not likely. I meant July 9th against the Mets. And there’s a possibility of a game in the Phillies series late in the season.

• blade3colorado said, on December 24, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Not certain what games I’m going to, but will be in the SF bay area in May for 3 weeks watching my parents dogs, plants, etc., while they traipse around Europe on a cruise. My cuz will score tickets for at least 2-3 games, plus a minor league San Jose Giants game (really had a blast there last year . . . good barbecue and the organization is pro-family with all their “swag” contests between innings.

Give me a shout if anyone from here is looking to meet up at a game in May.

• zumarust said, on December 24, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I’m hoping to catch a game in May. I wish all the Saturday games were day games. I’m just not that into night games anymore at AT&T. The Park at night is starting to feel as cold as Candlestick to me at night. I think the first several years I was just pretending to myself that the evening games weren’t as cold as Candlestick. But the last few years, the night games have felt Candlestickian.

• TedSpe said, on December 24, 2010 at 3:29 pm

The air might be as cold but the wind chill factor…not even close

• blade3colorado said, on December 24, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Also, it depends on where you sit . . . I’ve sat 3rd base side, only a few rows from the field and it is night and day compared to higher up (2nd level) where you catch the “artic” air stream coming across.

• xootsuit said, on December 24, 2010 at 3:57 pm

zoom, you must be sitting upstairs in the wrong spot or in the bleachers. Spring for the lower box seats by the BP (but be sure to get seats either in the middle of the row or on the east side of the row — otherwise the foot traffic gets annoying). Or — if you really want to sit in the view seats, get some up there by the “splash cam” (not that it’s used for that purpose much any more). Very nice, very reasonable. The night-time wind currents are trackable.

43. twinfan said, on December 24, 2010 at 2:56 pm

That was Kison, and it was one of the great relief outings in WS history- Bucs were down 2 games to 1, the Pirate starter didn’t make it out of the first, Kison threw 6 1/3 of 1 hit shut out ball.. A pivotal point in a great World Series…

• zumarust said, on December 24, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Yeah, terrific World Series. A World Series I can fully appreciate now that the SF Giants have finally won the big one! The ’71 season was the first season I followed the Giants, and was (of course) hugely disappointed at the NL playoff results.
      I had forgotten that that Series went 7 games. And that it was the season the Orioles had their 4 20-game winners.
      What a Series for Clemente!

• snarkk said, on December 24, 2010 at 4:37 pm

First MLB I ever saw live as a kid was the Pirates v. Giants, I think game #2 at the Stick in the ’71 playoffs. I believe it was Perry starting vs. ? Anyway, blowout by the Bucs, 9-1 or some such. Bob Robertson had a coupla homers, maybe 3. I think the tix for LF upper deck seats we had were $6, or something like that. I don’t even remember if it was sold out. Seems like eons ago. Hell, that’s because it WAS eons ago…

44. twinfan said, on December 24, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Roberto played in 14 WS games and hit in all of them..

45. blade3colorado said, on December 24, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Twin, I sent you an email . . . Merry Christmas bro 🙂

46. ewisco said, on December 24, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Happy Christmas/Holidays Flappers. I’m gone until New Years. Talk amongst yourselves until i get back.

47. delmardennis said, on December 24, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Merry Christmas Flappers. Wishing you and yours the best of times and good health at this joyous time of year. And a special thank you to Flav once again for his tireless efforts and dedication that brings this blog all together. It’s the best.

Merry Christmas.

48. snarkk said, on December 24, 2010 at 4:43 pm

All I want for Christmas has already been delivered. A Giants Championship. I thought I’d never see it, but now I have. And it feels damn good. Now, since that wish came true, I’m wondering whether that other long-shot wish involving Salma Hayek in a two sizes too small elf suit might just happen. Merry Christmas, you Flapnutz!…

• blade3colorado said, on December 24, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Sort of doubt it Snarkk . . . She’s here.

• snarkk said, on December 24, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Nice one, Blade. When yer done, and if you’re still alive, send her over. If she’s really Salma, I’ve got no problem with “sloppy seconds”. But don’t send her over until tomorrow, OK? Ximena Navarrete is over tonite–a coupla tequila shots and she likes to pretend she’s a nasty ‘lil elf…

• blade3colorado said, on December 24, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Touche!

49. delmardennis said, on December 24, 2010 at 5:17 pm

TF, just sent ya an e-mail with my picks for the contest. Thanks once again.

Listening to Frank and Dean sing it’s “A Marshmallow World” while peelin’ taters or “tatters” as I’ve been known to call our homers for the mashed a la Del Mar. The Grinch’s rare “Roast Beast” for tomorrow. That prime rib will be so rare you’ll still be able to see the marks from where the jockey hit it.

50. Flavor said, on December 24, 2010 at 5:29 pm

We’re rollin’ with a Wham Holiday Christmas marathon at my house (I know, I know. How does an 8 year old get into WHAM in 2010???), eating pizza, still wrapping presents and imbibing some nice vino. Not a bad night so far…..

51. Flavor said, on December 24, 2010 at 5:31 pm

52. snarkk said, on December 24, 2010 at 5:44 pm

BF, with all due respect to the pre-teen set, I’ll take Salma Hayek wearing a burlap sack over George Michael getting his Wham on, or off, as the case may be…

53. xootsuit said, on December 24, 2010 at 6:25 pm

We’re listening to Rockabilly Santa’s Super Speedy Rockabilly version of Jingle Bells and Pandora’s riffs on G.Thorogood’s Rock and Roll Christmas. Dinner was medium rare tri-tip roast, with good coarse salsa and fresh corn tortillas; saute’d veggies on the side. Present wrapping will occur between innings. As I recall, Lincecum came in ready to do his job and then he did it, like an ace. Look forward to seeing it again. Wine glass uplifted: Salud, flappers. They are the world champs.

54. San Dog said, on December 24, 2010 at 7:56 pm

“Last negotiation, gave you 18 mil, the very next day, you were on the DL.

This year, to save me from tears, I gave the money to Huff-ster (Huff-ster)

Once bitten and twice shy, you hit a historic homer, but I’m ready to say bye-bye

Tell me Edgar, how much would it take, to bring you back to the city by the bay-ay?”

• Flavor said, on December 24, 2010 at 8:25 pm

LQTM

• San Dog said, on December 24, 2010 at 8:30 pm

My son got his acoustic out and we’re working on the chords. It’s gonna be epic. Merry Christmas Flav!

55. Bozo said, on December 24, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Here we’re listing to Brave Combo’s ‘It’s Christmas Man’ (for you Dylan fans, yes he borrowed BCs arrangement for Must Be Santa). Just watched game 5 of the WS again, the Giants are still World Champions.
    Merry Christmas Flappers and Flaperette and to all a good night (Ted, do I put a question mark after good night?).
    Cheers

56. paulinasia said, on December 24, 2010 at 8:13 pm

It’s Christmas morning in Saigon, Christmas Eve for most of you, always one of my favorite warm and festive nights in the US… kinda miss it. But the bar I went to last night with friends had quite the stage show of lovely little “elves”, so that was warming enough. A tropical breeze blows through my open windows, and if I ignore the never-ending sounds of motobikes honking, it’s almost peaceful here this morning. Just want to wish all you Flappers a festive and fun Christmas and then leading into yet another great year. Enjoy, be safe, keep basking….

57. paulinasia said, on December 24, 2010 at 8:41 pm

file:///G:/saigon/DSC00021.JPG

58. paulinasia said, on December 24, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Oops, that’s not going to work…. sorry… I’m a techno idiot… oh well.

59. twinfan said, on December 24, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Good night all, I’m going to lie down in front of the last few innings….
    I’l be up doing some baking in the morning. Merry Christmas, Paul. Tomorrow for the rest of you..
    6 more entrants or I’ll hold the Gaming monster for another contest. I’ll still give away a PC, though.

60. xootsuit said, on December 24, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Aaron Rowand was the silent partner in the game 5 victory. He hit the ball very hard his first time up, deep drive to LF. The Rangers weren’t sure they wanted to face him with the bases loaded in the 7th. So they pitched to Renteria. MVP took advantage of his opp.

Bottom line: the DH screwed Texas. When they couldn’t use it in SF, Vlad botched RF, etc. When they could, in TX, the Giants could use it too, and the Giants had some life down there at the bottom of the LU. Boom boom . . . out got the lights.

• xootsuit said, on December 24, 2010 at 9:45 pm

out go
      the lights
      JLHooker

61. Dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 24, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Aloha motherfuckers. errrrr. I mean Merry Christmas Flappers. I hope you all have a good one. Love your neighbor and all that shit. If you can’t. Piss on his lawn or something.

62. snarkk said, on December 24, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Paul, Joyeuz Noel in Saigon. Good to hear from you man. Up here in the North, we don’t think that Christmas does exist in the tropics — and it calls for short pants and cold beers with maybe some “lovely little elf” chasers. But, Santa is on his way now into this hemisphere, and I must put the Snarkettes immediately to bed. They opened lots of presents tonight, and must wind down to sleep so Santa Snarkk can lay in some special Santy gifts for the morning. I’m leaving him a snack of rum balls and a Makers/eggnog highball. If he chews through that, he might get wayward just enough to make another visiit to your neck of the world. Merry Christmas to all….

63. Sportdude said, on December 24, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Merry Xmas to all!

64. delmardennis said, on December 25, 2010 at 12:47 am

A yule log accompanied by Christmas music on your TV — That’s Wile E. Coyote Super Genius work right there.