A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Remembering better days in NinerLand

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 27, 2010

Let the “Tomsula Era” begin……

1. twinfan said, on December 27, 2010 at 9:12 am

Singletary left with class, anyway. Let’s hope the GM hires a teacher this time, not a drill sergant.
    “In your face” types are becoming a thing of the past. It’s the coordinators who run the show now, the HC is a facilitator, an administrator, a delegator.. If they do it right the GM hires the HC then gets the hell out of his way-the HC names hs coordinators and then gets the hell out of their way. So basically, the HC keeps everyone from strangling each other and takes the blame and credit equally. The Mikes were like Tricky Dick- accepted responsibility but the blame was spread elsewhere.

• alleykat said, on December 27, 2010 at 11:36 am

Les Steckel was the best example i remember of a Mike Singletary clone.X Marine asshole who berated his players as much or more as Sing did.Players gave up on him and his military coaching style almost immediately.1st coach to replace the legendary Bud Grant,turned out so bad (3-13) under Steckel that they brought back Grant the next season out of retirement to try and right the sinking ship.

2. Flavor said, on December 27, 2010 at 9:49 am

Twin, I watched a Stanford Football practice a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised by how little Harbaugh was doing. He was definitely working with one group of players but there were 4 or 5 other coaches who were coordinating the whole thing. Singletary tried to do too much, in my opinion. All that up front communication shit works out well when you’re winning but when you’re losing you get what happened between Sing and T-Smith yesterday.

3. Dirtnrocksnreno said, on December 27, 2010 at 10:14 am

Speaking of dudes with diarrhea of the mouth. I wonder what that ass-hat Wellemeyer is thinking about his Stl vs. SF pitching staff comparison as he sits around the house this off season with his thumb in his arse

4. xootsuit said, on December 27, 2010 at 11:00 am

I don’t quite understand the logic of firing a football coach very close to the end of the season. Is that supposed to send a message to the coaching staff and players that things are going to change and they better be ready to contribuite? I suppose if the team let the failing HC finish out the string with some dignity, general complacency among the millionaires in the locker room might set in. But doesn’t a firing close to the end of a losing season usually just look like the owners are pissed off and in disarray?

• TedSpe said, on December 27, 2010 at 11:23 am

On the surface it does seem odd. There could be many different reasons, I suppose. Maybe there was a mutual agreement that the he would lose his job the moment of playoff elimination. Singletary *does* have a flare for the dramatic.

5. twinfan said, on December 27, 2010 at 11:19 am

SportDude:
    Renteria Giants (ambivalent about this. Retirement?))
    Beltre Angels

Renteria: Retires
    Cabrera: Twins
    Beltre: Angels
    Guerrero: Rangers

SanDog:
    LaRoache- Orioles
    Renteria— out of baseball (I’m not trying to be a smart ass, I seriously think the guy is going to get no offers that please him and will hang ’em up)
    Cabrera– Twins

Beltre – Angels
    Vlad – Texas

GHead:
    LaRoche – Nats
    Cabrera – Twins
    Renteria – Nowhere
    Beltre – Angels (change from the other entry)
    Vlad – Rangers

Blade:
    LaRoche – Baltimore Orioles
    Renteria – SF Giants
    Orlando Cabrera – San Diego Padres*
    Beltre – This is the tough one (Angels or Rangers) . . . Hmm, I select the Rangers
    Vlad – Rangers

Max:
    La Roche – Orioles
    Renteria- SF
    Orlando Cabrera – Orioles
    Beltre – Angels
    Vlad – Rangers

That fucking clown:
    LaRoche – Orioles. Says no to Petco, signs with the Orioles in hopes to pad his stats and get traded to a contender by the deadline.
    Rent – Marlins. One year deal 2 mil, like LaRoche a Rent(al) for a team in the playoff hunt (Giants).
    Cabrera – Twins. Says no as a back-up for the Tigers and Yanks.
    Beltre – Angels. Likes being on the Left Coast.
    Vlad – Texas. All my Exs live in Texas and so will Vlad.

Zumie:

La Roache: Baltimore
    Renteria: Florida
    Cabrera: Reds
    Beltre: angels
    Vlad: Texas

• eddacker415 said, on December 28, 2010 at 1:47 am

if anyone is interested I have sorted this list to a spreadsheet and posted it in my googledocs:
      contest sorted

guess I should re-post this tomorrow as no one but you will know it is here 🙂

6. zumarust said, on December 27, 2010 at 11:57 am

I think firing Sing before the last game was the right move. The video footage of the yelling match with T. Smith made the team look, on a national level, like it was in complete disarray. It was too embarrassing, even for the Yorks.
    Not that I think the 49ers are a national joke. It’s worse than that, in a sense. The 49ers, at this point, are a forgotten irrelevancy to the NFL.
    And firing Sing saved us from the possibility of Sing being asked all week about his future with the Niners, and getting surly about it.
    I didn’t realize that Sing had two more years on his contract. He can kick back for a couple of years on the 49ers’ payroll.

• TedSpe said, on December 27, 2010 at 12:29 pm

He’ll have to. Not only won’t he ever get a head coaching job again, those whole motivational speaking gigs are pretty much dried up now as well

7. twinfan said, on December 27, 2010 at 12:31 pm

I think Jed just spoke rashly when he said he wouldn’t commit to Mike coaching next week. After that, they had to fire him right away..

8. Flavor said, on December 27, 2010 at 2:06 pm

49 days to go before pitchers and catchers can report. Gawd, this wait is interminable. I’m not done basking but I am ready for some baseball. All this Singletary nonsense has brought me WAY down…..
    anyone got an opinion about the Saints game tonight?

• zumarust said, on December 27, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I’m just curious to see who’s going to come out of the NFC for the Super Bowl. It’s really up in the air. A Philly/NE Super Bowl would be interesting.

9. twinfan said, on December 27, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Except Vick deserves nothing more than to rot in hell.
    “Michael Vick: A New Dog Would Help My Rehab”
    Or maybe a few…

• zumarust said, on December 27, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Strange, too, to hear broadcasters philosophizing how Vick’s time in prison has made him a better quarterback, by making him a more serious and mature person. It’s like they’re saying: “Those dogs didn’t die in vain!”
      But I don’t have a lot of faith in Andy Reid, anyway. He’s one of those coaches that finds a way to mess things up.

10. zumarust said, on December 27, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I think that MLB network mostly gets it right, except for….their belief that people are interested in old video of All-Star game homerun contests. Seriously, do people sit through that? They’re borderline watchable when it’s happening live. Why not just show the old All-Star games instead?

11. twinfan said, on December 27, 2010 at 4:34 pm

There used to be a HR Derby show, in the early 60’s. Cool show. Here’s a full episode:
    And you can get a bunch here:
    I’m going to watch my man Dick Stuart take on Frank Robinson…

12. xootsuit said, on December 27, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I remember that HR Derby tv show. As to the AS game show they have now, they should have just quit after Josh Hamilton’s semi-final round a couple of years back. Now that was something. And in the end he didn’t win! Ridiculous event.

13. TedSpe said, on December 27, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I saw a re-run of the Mantle VS Mays once

• xootsuit said, on December 27, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I just watched Killebrew vs. Mays. (You can fforward to the 8th inning pretty easily.) Fun stuff.