A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

More Boras Insanity— Soriano signs with Yankees for 3 years/35 Million; as a set up guy

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 14, 2011

To me, the most amazing thing about this deal is that Soriano can opt out after Year one OR year 2. For that shaky fellowship the Yankees get to fork over a 1st round draft pick, too. I see the angle, 2 shut down, closer guys at the end of the game. But they still have a pretty thin starting rotation. After CC, they really don’t have anyone who can make it through the 6th consistently, much less the 7th.

I guess we are fortunate to only have to worry about “wrists and scales” this off season. And how much are any of us really worry about that?

1. stixwiz said, on January 14, 2011 at 7:53 am

“Wrists and scales” is a good line. Yankees are missing the guiding hand of ol’ George. With this deal and the recent one re-signing Jeter for that long (age-determined) and heavy contract; Hank & Co. are shoveling out the Shekels like its Monopoly money. Yes, if the Evil Empire’s frayed rotation and mediocre middlemen manage do bring a lead into the 8th, the Yanks would be big favorites to win. That said, Soriano may be Rivera insurance as the dude is what, 39? Boston could run away with the AL East this season as the Yanks are greying and long in the tooth.

• TedSpe said, on January 14, 2011 at 10:03 am

Yeah, wrists and scales is good

2. Giant Head said, on January 14, 2011 at 8:20 am

As I have said all along, Boras is the Anti-Christ! Is there any other explanation?

3. Sandawg said, on January 14, 2011 at 9:05 am

By the way, has that pain-in-the-ass David Eckstein signed with anyone yet? I have a feeling this idea will not go over well with my fellow flappers, but I’d be totally down with the Giants bringing him on board to fulfill the utility role Rent (thankfully) passed on.

Giants win world series
    SDSU Aztecs win first bowl game since 1969
    SDSU hoop team still undefeated and soon to be ranked in the Top 5

Basking like a motherfucker…..

• zumarust said, on January 14, 2011 at 9:41 am

I think they’re already committed to Fontenot. Fontenot has a lot to make up for after that atrocious playoff game he had.

• xootsuit said, on January 14, 2011 at 10:59 am

Eckstein? Hmmph. If he got invited to ST, Burrell and Huff could spread a slippery tarp across the OF and use Eck and Font in a game of midget bowling.

• snarkk said, on January 14, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I’d be totally down with Eckstein as a utility guy. I’ve said so before. Good D, smart ABs. The guy is a ballplayer. Whateverthehellthat means…

4. Unca Chuck said, on January 14, 2011 at 9:31 am

SDSU a top basketball program? That’s GOT to be a sign of the apocalypse . . .

5. snarkk said, on January 14, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Giants win WS. Vast bird die-offs all over the country. SDSU in top 10 NCAA roundball. Niners get what appears to be a competent head coach. Projected ultra-heavy sunspot and solar storms activity. Maybe they’re reading the 26,000 year Mayan calendar closing a year too long…

6. Unca Chuck said, on January 14, 2011 at 2:05 pm

You forgot rivers of dead fish.

Remind me never to go hunting in Alabama.

The Mayans missed a leap-year . . .

7. same time i dont know u said, on January 14, 2011 at 3:24 pm

im glad Sabean didnt give that deal out .Its the yankees anyway , you knew they had to make up for not getting lee or really anyone this off season

8. same time i dont know u said, on January 14, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Eckstien is a giant killer so i would rather him just sign to an american league team

9. xootsuit said, on January 14, 2011 at 4:50 pm

So the Giants Reality TV Show is going to happen. High stakes card games on the plane, high rent whores in the hotels, The Machine changing from the Lou Seal costume into his Folsom St. leather — none of these things will be broadcast. Instead, months after the fact, we’ll see Buster grimacing as he gets his ankle taped, or Aubrey trying to get his kids to eat their grapefruit at breakfast.

10. Unca Chuck said, on January 14, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Ahhh, fuck it. B Weezy already learned this lesson.

A TV show is a big fucking distraction.

Oh well. I don’t like it much, but did they ask me?

11. Unca Chuck said, on January 14, 2011 at 6:28 pm

All this really does is garner hatred and animosity from other teams, and the public in general.

Unless it’s somehow the funniest shit since Cheers. . .

12. Sandawg said, on January 14, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Ex wife #2 and I just put down the dog (Chyna the Chow) that we shared for 14 years. We were at Petco years ago and she was in a waiting area after being groomed. My wife made a comment to one of the workers how cute she was and they said that someone had dropped her off under a phony name, paid for a grooming, and abandoned her. She said that sort of thing actually happened from time to time as I guess people feel like a place like Petco will find a good home for the dogs. Anyhoo, we said we’d take her, but they said by law they had to turn her over to the pound. My wife persisted and they agreed to have her “escape” out the back door where we were waiting. She was a great, mellow dog and has been my steady roommate while the kids,the wife, and other acquaintances have come and gone over the years. I’m gonna miss our time at the park with her obliviously meandering around while I whack tennis (and the occasional golf) balls with my Mazatlan pinata bat.
    RIP Chowie

• same time i dont know u said, on January 14, 2011 at 7:22 pm

maybe next time you can have them put down your xwife ?? lol sorry i had to , sorry for your loss man great dogs are hard to let go

13. Flavor said, on January 14, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Sorry to hear that my man, there’s almost nothing worse than a loss of a long time animal. I swear to God I think I handle the loss of relatives better…….

14. Flavor said, on January 14, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I guess I qualify as living in the country. at least “Los Altos Hills country”. We have 2 cats who execute birds/bunnies/rabbits/mice/squirrels/rats/gophers/etc on a daily basis. Tonight, Reno brought in the biggest fucking rabbit I have ever seen— he must have weighed close to 2 pounds, I don’t even know how he even carried this thing in his mouth. Katie alerted us to it with screams of “Reno has a bunny! Reno has a bunny!” as she chased him around the room. She saved that fucking giant bunny, he had nothing more than a little bloody eye when we got to him….
    Anyway, animals are the shit. They make our lives better no matter how many seemingly distracting or hassling things we have to do to accommodate them. And every time one of them dies I swear to God I’m never getting another one. Total lie to myself every time…….

15. xootsuit said, on January 14, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I’ve known some great animals. At the lodge where I worked in Alaska, we had two Newfoundlands. One was an idiot; the other was a wonderful dog. My ex wife had a great Border Collie. But she also rescued a Malamut who tried to eat our son. Best rescue, however, was in Anchorage. She found a tiny puppy in a snowy supermarket parking lot. I was fascinated by the thing. I’ve never seen an animal as energetic or athletic. It had a vertical leap of about 6 feet (I stood on a chair and held some meat ih the air.) The flyer we posted at the supermarket finally paid off: The young owners called to claim their puppy. They drove over from the trailer park where they lived (a trailer park, in Anchorage). The pup was, they said proudly, a dingo/pit bull mix.

16. Sandawg said, on January 14, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Thanks fellas. It felt good to put something out there on a rough night and hear from you guys.

17. TedSpe said, on January 15, 2011 at 12:50 am

Sandawg, been there with 2 tabby cats, a dalmation and an Alaskan husky. Like Flav said, I always swear never to have another. I’ve actually kept to the pledge for a long time now but that’s mainly because I moved to a small apartment. But I swear, not a fortnight goes by without me thinking of all of them.
    All things must pass. But that doesn’t mean we can’t be a little pissed off about it. You’ll be fine

18. Unca Chuck said, on January 15, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Yeah, my brother got a dog from the pound when I was 6. His name was Andy. He was part german shepard, part beagle, part ??? Smart as helll, and just as horny. Andy. I was 23 when he died. It was like losing a brother. Well, it was worse if you knew my brother.

He was 17, and could still figure out how to escape the yard, but was deaf as a post. He ended up gettig hit in San Mateo by the Ben Franklin. By some stroke of fate, my sister found him when traffic backed up on 3rd Ave. Broken back, pelvis, too muich to fix . . . .

Our ldog nowadays is getting up there. Jozie’s gonna be 9, and she’s geting creaky. Still runs like the wind, but when we come back from our trips, she limps around a bit. . .