A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Our 6th starter….

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 18, 2011

Shulman finally got around to writing a baseball story but it really left more questions than it did answers. For instance, the Giants “have talked to Dan Runzler about converting to starting”. Well, what the hell does that mean? Is he doing the necessary things now to stretch his arm out? Is he for the idea? Against it? When your options are pretty much nothing in the minors (how would you like to be a starting pitching in Fresno this year when you know that you literally have no shot of getting called up) I would think the game plan would have come together already……

There is NO WAY IN HELL that our starting 5 make it through the season in tact. Our rotation hasn’t suffered an injury in years, that streak could easily end. And it’s entirely conceivable that Zito is done and in need of being replaced by May 1st. Does Casey Daigle strike your fancy? We can’t be in the business of giving away 20% of our games……….

1. Giant Head said, on January 18, 2011 at 7:01 am

As I said before Flav….

WE ARE WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!!

I don’t care if they name Pablo as our 6th starter…btw, the fatheads came in and look awesome in my kids room. Will send Flav a pic…

2. xootsuit said, on January 18, 2011 at 7:07 am

This time last year the rotation was poorly defined. Zito’s, uh, efficacy, as always, was a question, and Bumgarner’s early spriing weaknesses ruined his chances of being on the squad opening day. So we welcomed Wellemeyer. No such problems this year (apart from the Zito efficacy). I seriously doubt that Zito will suck so much he’ll be benched in May. He’ll be a fine 5. So, for now, you have to assume the brain trust is looking at the same injury chances we are — I mean, they know how many innings everyone threw in the PS — and they’re blocking out plans. As with last year, however, ST will tell.

The front office proved themselves to me last season. That amaziing team didn’t fall together accidentally. If they need to make moves, they will.

• Bozo said, on January 18, 2011 at 8:38 am

“The front office proved themselves to me last season. That amazing team didn’t fall together accidentally. If they need to make moves, they will.”

So very true Xoot.

3. zumarust said, on January 18, 2011 at 8:11 am

From yesterday’s thread, Snarkk is missing the point that the Giants players want to do the Showtime thing. The original story talked about how the players want to do it, and that they’re still ironing out the format.
    Another thing about the show- only one episode will air in the first half of the season, all the other episodes will air the second half of the season.
    And BF made a good point that there are ALREADY a lot of media cameras floaring around during the season. The Comcast people doing their behind-the-scenes stuff, SF Giants website, MLB network, and who knows who else. So….yeah, it will make the Giants players feel even more like rock stars, and I say- good for them. They’re entitled to some basking, too.
    I just can’t get behind the idea of WORRYING about the 2011 season. Any baseball season is going to have its share of adversity. The players will be hungry to win another title. But they’ll go after it in their own unique way. They have a special blend of warrior and goofball in them that works for them. It’s a team that plays hard, but doesn’t have red a##es on the team, slinging equipment around, and being jerks.

4. Bozo said, on January 18, 2011 at 8:54 am

Although it’ll be costly, I’ve decided I’m coming out for opening day. I’m hoping my buddy that bought the rights to me seats will cut loose with one (after so many heartbreaks sitting next to each other, I’m hoping he’ll say yes). I really need to see them raise the flag, hear Jon Miller and Renel introduce the World Champions.
    If I had a bucket list, I guess this jumped to number one.

I know it’s early but is anyone else planning on going?

5. zumarust said, on January 18, 2011 at 8:55 am

Watching MLB footage of the Phillies in the ’80 playoffs, you’re struck by the fact that there really has never been another player like Pete Rose. He physically looks different than any other MLB player of the last 50 years. He had the body of a professional wrestler, and a hairdo that defies description. A kind of highly stylized, Dutch-boy hair helmet. He ran around the field like an enraged wild boar. The baseball field seems barely able to contain his amped up energy. Think Pete downed a few of those greenies in his time?

6. Rough Trade said, on January 18, 2011 at 8:58 am

Well, lets’ see. They didn’t seem to mind all those extra cameras and added attention during the WS, did they?

Zuma, There are some who are just eager to resume bitching. It’s what they love to do. Positive reflection just ain’t their thing.

7. snarkk said, on January 18, 2011 at 9:20 am

The Giants won the division by one game. With no cameras in their private faces and places during the season. There is no reason for this. Lots of others are saying this is a bad idea. Reflect on that, positively…

• Rough Trade said, on January 18, 2011 at 10:01 am

Since the team was remade at the break, that’s hardly irrelevant. Heck, maybe they win it by 10 with a reality show. Since it’s never been done, who knows?

Frankly, I couldn’t give a shit one way or another. But IF the players are all for it, mgmt is ok and they get assurances from Showtime, give it a go. If it appears to be too much of a nuisance, they can cancel it.

• Rough Trade said, on January 18, 2011 at 10:03 am

‘relevant’

8. Bozo said, on January 18, 2011 at 9:44 am

BF – In the minors there is that kid David Mixon. A RP for San Jose and Fresno in 09, went down to Richmond last year to convert to a starter had a pretty good year with a CG shutout. Maybe an Ironhead Joe kind of guy.

Also, I want to know more about this kid Ryan Verdugo (I know he is to young to be in the mix this year). Apparently he has closer stuff but in the AFL this year he started 7 games. He’ll probably be in San Jose next year, I’m just curious how the Giants use him.

9. Flavor said, on January 18, 2011 at 10:18 am

Clown– I’m not trying to talk you out of coming, I’m sure it will be a blast. But, I’m staying away from opening day. they’re going to try to re-create the magic, honor the 2010 etc and I just don’t think you can re-create something like that. Plus, at least 2 of the dudes (Rent/Uribe) who were responsible for the win won’t even be there…..
    Plus the tickets will be too expensive……
    And I’d rather just watch the game on tv….
    Buzzkill, I know….

• Bozo said, on January 18, 2011 at 10:53 am

No buzzkill Flav, I understand. After all the years of getting my hopes smashed, I just have to see them raise the flag with my own two eyes. Since 1980 I went to at least 20 games a year (02 was over 50). The last couple of years it’s been just watching on MLB. So for me this will make it even more real. I know Larry and the front office will have it cranked to 11, but…
      Hey, if you change your mind let me know, I’ll buy the first round.

10. delmardennis said, on January 18, 2011 at 10:46 am

Ross 1 yr/$6.3M is a done deal.

Another reason to nix this Showtime deal. I subscribe to HBO, not Showtime. Next.

• TedSpe said, on January 18, 2011 at 10:57 am

Elitist

11. Nipper said, on January 18, 2011 at 11:05 am

It’s wise to prepare for injuries even to young pitchers. The Giants have to prepare for this. It’s a necessity to have starters in the minors that can come up quickly and fill a need. That’s the Giants way……. player development.

12. bigSarge said, on January 18, 2011 at 11:43 am

Hey Flappers. I am going to try to score some tix for opening day. I will have been discharged from the Army for about a month at that point. What better way to welcome myself back home to the Bay Area. As far as the Showtime show is concerned, I don’t think any of the guys are the type to try to show out for the cameras. Shouldn’t be a problem. For the fifth starter, I’m feeling some more of the Sabes magic. Perhaps another Brad Penny situation?

13. Unca Chuck said, on January 18, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Kevin Correia?

14. Unca Chuck said, on January 18, 2011 at 12:52 pm

SD hasn’t signed him yet, right?

Oh, shit, the Pirates got him?

Nevermind . . .

15. Rough Trade said, on January 18, 2011 at 1:24 pm

As Henry said, the Correia types don’t want to sign here and be the 6th guy.

16. TedSpe said, on January 18, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Singletary’s going to the Vikings as their linebackers coach/assistant head coach

17. Unca Chuck said, on January 18, 2011 at 2:37 pm

One would hope he lives and learns . . .

18. Flavor said, on January 18, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Singletary isn’t going to learn shit, he is who he is. Linebacker coach sounds like a good fit for him, though…….
    I don’t expect the Giants to sign a “Brad Penny”, I understand why those guys don’t want to come here and be a #6. But they could get Runzler focused on SP NOW. Send him to the minors and get him nice and stretched out. Have him hit the ground running when they need him. if all they’ve done is talk to Runzler about it, I dunno, that doesn’t sound like much. I’m sure there are things he could be doing now, in lieu of actually pitching in Fresno, to prepare for that role change though we’d never know because HS half-asses his way though reporting…….

19. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 18, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I think it will be some dark horse in Fresno. I don’t know who. This is one of my more unintelligible posts. Or unintelligent. Um, um, I’m thinking of driving nearly 300 miles to see the trophy in NYC this weekend. Is that crazy?

• Unca Chuck said, on January 18, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Yes. the lines in Sacto were apparently 2+ hours for a 10 second pic session. . . .

No thanks.

• macdog said, on January 18, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I might go to NYC on Saturday to see the trophy, too.

20. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 18, 2011 at 7:01 pm

thanks for that Chuckles, but for me that may precisely be the fun of it…the line waiting to get in to the knothole for Gm 1 was half the fun of it — though taxing

call me undecided

21. big flavor said, on January 18, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I’d stand in line for 2 hours for a pic with the WS trophy. 2 hours? Shit, who among us doesn’t spend doing something stupid for 2 hours every now and again? Plus, you get a pic. Middle of Feb when that bad boy hits Palo Alto, I’m all in……..

• PawlieKokonuts said, on January 18, 2011 at 8:16 pm

heck, most people spend at least 2 hrs PER DAY screwing around [it’s officially termed “checking emails”]; you screw around 6 hours per day PUBLICLY if you’re a newly elected Congressman!

22. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 18, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I see Armando Galarraga is up for grabs. Weird. Detroit signed him for $2.3 m then DFA’d him to make room for Brad Penny. Might be worth a look.

23. snarkk said, on January 18, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I guess I’m late on this, but I heard Dontrelle Willis is now in the Reds organization. I said back when he came on board with the Giants last mid-season that he was going nowhere with SF, and I got skewered by some here as being negative. Well, I guess he’s taking his diminished talents to Dusty, now, such as they are. He’s done in MLB…

24. Unca Chuck said, on January 19, 2011 at 8:58 am

No harm, no foul. You were negative.

Did it hurt the Giants in any way?

Nitpicking moves like that is petty bullshit. They took a flier. It didn’t work out.