A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Our Arbitration Eligible Guys…..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 19, 2011

Ross and Dirrrrty both signed yesterday—they are good examples of the good and bad of being arb-eli. Cody Ross? I love the guy but I don’t want to risk more than a year deal on him– frankly, I don’t think he’s going to come close to repeating his production in 2011. He’ll be ok, he’s a 4th outfielder guy who got hot at the perfect time for us…..

Dirrrrty, on the other hand, could be a little risky to only go a year with. Sabean has bought out other guys years (Timmy, Cain, Bee-Weezy, etc). He could have a monster year. I’d like this guy locked up for multiple years, not just one. Torres, I’m fine going year to year with. Same with Casilla. Lopez I might go 2 years with…..

But whatever, we are getting everyone back except Rent and Uribe and I really don’t think that’s going to ruin us. We need another middle infielder to plug in when Tejada or Franchez go down but Pablo bouncing back would allow us to use DeRosa for that sub-job.

It’s all looking good except for the calendar which continues to click at a snails pace…….

1. twinfan said, on January 19, 2011 at 7:23 am

Ross had a DOWN year, Craig. I thnk he’ll be much closer to the previous two-look for same BA-.270ish, 20 HR 80 RBI ..775 OPS, good defense…
    And how is Dirty”risky” at one year? He’ll just be arb eligible again, he’s still theirs in 2012. 4.8 million? Christ, fucking bargain, A’s are paying Balfour about that..

2. zumarust said, on January 19, 2011 at 7:59 am

I drove by yesterday where the trophy was being displayed. A gigantic line going outside the building, going down a city block, then another city block, then another city block……people standing out in the cold. I found out later some people had been in line since MIDNIGHT. I just kept driving. I saw some video footage on the local news last night. The trophy looked kind of small being on a small table in the middle of a big ol’ convention room, with some orange and black balloons as background decoration. It was cool seeing that many people lovin’ the Giants. Basking still…..

• Unca Chuck said, on January 19, 2011 at 9:03 am

Overnight? Sheesh.

Food for thought, Pawlie. 3 hours is one thing, but overnight? Yikes.

3. zumarust said, on January 19, 2011 at 8:01 am

Snarkk, I have to admit you have a way bringing reaction. Your comment that ‘you warned us about Willis’ was way off-base. Of course we all knew he might still suck. The point was there was basically nothing to lose to sign him to a minor league contract and see if he could work out his pitching problems. He didn’t. So what? There could hardly be a more irrelevant story from last year.

• Unca Chuck said, on January 19, 2011 at 9:05 am

Yeah, Zuma, I commented on Snarkk’s D-Train comments on the last blog.

It’s not like they put him in in the rotation. They took a flier on the guy and it didn’t pan out. He got a minor league deal for God’s sake.

• snarkk said, on January 19, 2011 at 11:20 am

You guys are friggin priceless. I said in ST to bring in Byrnes for a test drive, no downside to it. Lotsa “waste of time”, takes ABs away from up and comers, blah blah. So, he washes out, and I get the “told ya”. On Willis, I say he’s a waste of time, I get the “what’s the downside?” from some Flappers. So, now that he’s washed out like I predicted, I get to do the “told ya” dance for a second. Besides, it was a slow news week, until the media yesterday got hard ons watching Darth Al barf all over Cable…

4. zumarust said, on January 19, 2011 at 8:04 am

And if the Giants don’t win the World Series this year, I can’t wait for someone to blame the reality show.

• snarkk said, on January 19, 2011 at 11:27 am

It’s getting into the playoffs. And, I’ll keep that powder dry….

5. twinfan said, on January 19, 2011 at 8:43 am

Torres has asked for 2.6, Giants countered with 1.8. Are you fucking kidding? Give him 5 NOW…

• OrangeandBlackCuseBoy said, on January 19, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Torres is bargain at 4; let’s Uribe the dude. Hey, Twin, this is Pawlie [my laptop being repaired so using a pseudo ID]; package came tonight; that’s right. Latest we have ever received US Mail. Will fiddle with it tomorrow. Thanks.

6. Flavor said, on January 19, 2011 at 8:57 am

I know Ross had a down year. I’d call it a declining year and that’s why I referred to him as a developing 4th outfielder. He got hot at the right time for us but I don’t see him bringin’ it all season long next year. 4th guy, and that’s fine, we need guys like that….
    Surprised the Giants are fucking around with Torres. Agreed, give him what he wants and move on…..

7. twinfan said, on January 19, 2011 at 9:09 am

He’s too young to characterize it as “declining” quite yet. He’ll be the regular Rfer.

8. Unca Chuck said, on January 19, 2011 at 9:10 am

Not that this is politically correct or anything, but it seems the Latino guys are getting jerked around more than the white guys. Ross gets his. Burrell as well (sort of). Even Font gets re-upped. Renteria is semi-dissed and leaves. Uribe is gone. They are dicking with Torres. Drrry, not sure yet . . .

• xootsuit said, on January 19, 2011 at 9:21 am

And fucking Tejada got treated like a god damned All Star. go figure.

• Rough Trade said, on January 19, 2011 at 9:57 am

I fail to see the discrepancy.

First of all, Ross only got 1 yr. His 2m raise is the same as Dirrty’s. And if Torres gets 2m, he’ll have a 1.6m raise. Service time does factor into the equation.

btw, Boras is Dirrty’s agent. You think race matters to him?

Rent was given a fair offer considering how poorly he played. The fact is, they didn’t want to go over 1m for a backup ss.

Uribe apparently preferred LA. Maybe he wants to get into acting. The G’s offer was ‘reportedly’ very close and they weren’t given an op to match.

• Nipper said, on January 19, 2011 at 11:44 am

BLEEP RACISM!

9. xootsuit said, on January 19, 2011 at 9:20 am

Jonathan’s a head case and the Giants know it much better and more intimately than we do. His stability on the mound has improved, however, every year. (Only two years ago, he responded to men on base and no outs by throwing two dozen FBs in a row. You don’t see that crap anymore.) JSanchez and Zito are the only pitchers on the team with such problems, far as I can see. If Sanchez continues to mature, he’ll get a long-term deal. (Zito? We can only pray.) The other three younger STARters are tough as nails compared to Sanchez and Zito.

10. zumarust said, on January 19, 2011 at 9:38 am

Regarding the Giants trophy, from what I’m hearing, they did get everybody through. They didn’t have to cut off the line. They must have really kept that line moving. You get a few seconds next to the trophy, and that’s it. Keep it moving.

11. zumarust said, on January 19, 2011 at 9:44 am

People were allowed to sit in the convention room once they were inside the room, and do some basking!
    Here’s a nice article and video from yesterday:

• xootsuit said, on January 19, 2011 at 10:22 am

“It weighs 24 pounds . . . .”

Perfect.

• OrangeandBlackCuseBoy said, on January 19, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I want to go, but drive 4-5 hours, wait in line 5 hours, see the holy relic, and drive back 4-5 hours in snow? Iffy. But it’d be a pilgrimage to bask in — and could promote the Flap. As you all know, I could do it on a whim, though me bones be tired. Pawlie.

• OrangeandBlackCuseBoy said, on January 19, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Thanks, Zum. I watched both embedded video clips. Very cool. Warms my basking heart. I met two folks from Modesto at Game 1. So they very well might’ve been there.

12. Macdog said, on January 19, 2011 at 10:02 am

Thanks for that link, Zum. I’m hoping to see the trophy in NYC on Saturday.

“When Tejada or Franchez go down . . . ” Franchez yes, but Tejada? He’s averaged 160 games in 11 of the last 12 years, including 157 the last three seasons. As long as he’s somewhat productive and not yet on a rapid decline, Tejada should be mainstay in the lineup, which is probably the main reason they signed him.

Also agree with Twin about Ross. When they left Guillen off the playoff roster, Ross took the starting RF job and ran with it. Now that he’s back as the starter, I would expect to see the kind of numbers Twin posted.

• OrangeandBlackCuseBoy said, on January 19, 2011 at 7:26 pm

if you like send me an email through Craig; maybe exchange cell numbers in case I go; there’s talk of heavy snow and coldest weekend of the year, though… I have a feeling it’s goona be huge…maybe even bring out DJLoo!

13. Giant Head said, on January 19, 2011 at 11:12 am

Interesting that with these deals and with the amount for Ross, payroll looks to be heading toward $115 million than what I expected to be at $110 million.

So I applaud ownership for pushing the payroll level way up. Basically it is an increase of $25 million since 2009, almost a 30% increase.

I am surprised both J. Sanchez and Torres have not been given something in the 3-year range, but I am shocked that they agreed to that amount for Ross. I think unless he has a standout year, this will likely be his only full year here. With a needeed extension for Timmy, Cain making $15 mill next year and likely to see Sanchez pushing into $6-$8 mill range, Ross would be an expensive option to continue to carry on the roster. Plus they still have Rowand’s contract carrying through next year and two more years of Zito….

14. snarkk said, on January 19, 2011 at 11:25 am

I’m with Oracle. I’d have signed Ross for a 2 + 1 contract. Franchez gets 2 years at $6M per. Ross is one of the youngest (30) OFers that have some substance and experience that we’ve got, no history of injury problems. Nobody in the high minors is even close to a sure thing up and coming OFer…

15. snarkk said, on January 19, 2011 at 11:30 am

For a starting CFer and the only speed guy on the squad, Torres should get $3M. The $1.8 they’re offering is low ball city, unless Sabes knows something we don’t. Maybe he does,..

• Nipper said, on January 19, 2011 at 11:45 am

Torres gets hurt and really has had only one good season.

16. Unca Chuck said, on January 19, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Nippy with a point?

Be still my beating heart . . .

• Bozo said, on January 19, 2011 at 1:56 pm

POTD Chuck

• Nipper said, on January 19, 2011 at 2:25 pm

BOZO are you still a clown? What are your rates.

• Nipper said, on January 19, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Yes my BLEEP MASTER.

17. Giant Head said, on January 19, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I am with Twin..pay Torres. At his advandged age, he will never get a big contract, take care of him now and give him a 3 year deal and say thanks. We at least got a leadoff man wth his emergence and he is the only one capable of playing that role this year and likely next…

18. Bozo said, on January 19, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I imagine with Torres both sides will settle for 2 mil this year. I think I read that the Giants are just trying to get these one year deals done so they won’t go to arb. Some of these guys may end up with multiple year deals before next year.

19. Nipper said, on January 19, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Worrying about contracts for these guys are a hoot. Just hold your nose and pay what the market bears. The Giants are hardly a low ball outfit.

20. Rough Trade said, on January 19, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I don’t see a problem here. Torres is only seeking 2.6m; G’s offered 1.8. He’s going to get about a 2m raise. Not fucking bad for 1 yr.

21. Rough Trade said, on January 19, 2011 at 2:39 pm

If GH is right and the payroll is pushing 115, and you’re looking to keep baseball’s best rotation intact, then by all means, hold the line where you can.

• TedSpe said, on January 19, 2011 at 3:08 pm

That’s also why they’re offering all the arbs only one year contracts as well

22. Nipper said, on January 19, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Whatever happened to that guy who used to write those long winded flowery posts? Is he still around?

• xootsuit said, on January 19, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Always making friends, aren’t you, Nip.

• OrangeandBlackCuseBoy said, on January 19, 2011 at 7:29 pm

isn’t “long-winded [hyphen added]” and “flowery” mixing metaphors? does that make them semaphores? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

23. Mega Flavor said, on January 19, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Nipp are you not getting your fill of standing on the sidelines and watchers blog fights? Go ahead, start one. It’s been a slow winter, I’m more inclined to let it go on for a bit….

24. TedSpe said, on January 19, 2011 at 5:54 pm

G’wan, g’wan start somethin’! I dare ya!! Why, I’ll roll you like a rug, I’ll flip you like a cheese omelet, I’ll bop ya so hard by the time you wake up your clothes’ll be outta style. G’wan, start somethin’!

25. OrangeandBlackCuseBoy said, on January 19, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Heck, I’d give Torres $7 million. It’s not my money. I really love the guy and have thoroughly enjoyed watching him on my basking DVDs. He’s classy, spirited, and plays his freakin heart out.

26. Flavor said, on January 19, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Position Player Batting Fielding Replacement Position RAR WAR
    C Brian McCann 5.7 1.0 7.8 3.8 19.3 1.9
    1B Adrian Gonzalez 22.3 4.4 10.0 -5.2 31.5 3.2
    2B Chase Utley 11.4 7.2 9.6 1.0 9.1 3.0
    SS Troy Tulowitzki 10.5 2.9 8.8 2.9 25.0 2.6
    3B Ryan Zimmerman 12.4 6.3 8.6 0.7 28.0 2.9
    OF Marlon Byrd 12.4 7.4 9.3 1.0 30.1 3.1
    OF Matt Holliday 14.1 8.9 9.5 -2.9 29.6 3.0
    OF Andres Torres 10.3 10.6 7.9 -1.2 27.6 2.8
    DH Albert Pujols 20.4 -1.3 10.0 -5.2 24.0 2.4

27. snarkk said, on January 19, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I’d give Torres an extra $500K just for using a shorter, lighter bat. The Babe Ruth style telephone pole he uses is ridiculous, and by end of the season, slows his swing down…