A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The Chronicle is Ripping Me Off

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 22, 2011

Did you guys catch the *article* devoted to Giants baseball at the Chron today?

I can’t remember them ever running a “Days to go” countdown. It’s not even an article, just a single Q/A by Schulman. I’m not sure who generated the “Q” but it was a uninspiring way to start the countdown………

If the CHron wants to go toe-2-toe with with a “days to go” countdown, I’m ready, baby. I think mine today already beats their so I declare myself winning, 1-0…….

1. dirtnrocksnreno said, on January 22, 2011 at 7:46 am

HaHa. I saw that and thought the exact same thing. Esteemed colleague my ass.

2. TedSpe said, on January 22, 2011 at 8:38 am

Just to be clear, they started this yesterday. With another question that had already been run through the mill here. “Can the Giants Repeat?”

So, the tally is Flavor Nation 2-0

3. xootsuit said, on January 22, 2011 at 8:58 am

Yours today is tough to top. Very nice.

• xootsuit said, on January 22, 2011 at 9:08 am

I can see the chron people making the PR decision to start their countdown on day 24. And every baseball fan I know pays attention to the day Ps & Cs report. The A’s fans in my office keep tabs on the calendar and every week or so mention the current number as we pass in the hall. So I don’t begrudge Schulman his own countdown. (He’ll never match BF’s imagery, however.)

On the other hand, I would be much more impressed with the “question per day” schtick if they posted the 24 questions up front, and then addressed them day by day in light of comments that flowed in. The way Schulman has set it up now, clearly he’ll be dashing stuff off as each deadline comes due.

• xootsuit said, on January 22, 2011 at 9:24 am

I was searching around for a Bumgarner photo with “age 21” on it, and stumbled across this. Pretty funny:

4. Billy said, on January 22, 2011 at 9:01 am

The Chronicle’s sports coverage, i think we all have to agree, is fairly pathetic. You’re not exactly putting yourself up to heavy weight fight on this one Craig.

5. Rough Trade said, on January 22, 2011 at 10:31 am

Schulman said he started this w/ 24 days to honor Mays.

6. Rough Trade said, on January 22, 2011 at 10:37 am

That is a nice choice for 23.

7. macdog said, on January 22, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Basking on Broadway!

Just got back from the trophy display at the NYC Hilton, where I was joined by a few hundred or so Giants fans. Awesome time, albeit way too brief as I had to get back to Jersey for work. Otherwise, I could’ve spent the whole day there just hanging out and reveling with everyone. The line moved pretty quick, and it’s easy to miss taking a few extra seconds to really LOOK at the trophy. Overall, it was simply amazing to see so many Giants fans all in one place here in the east.

Twin, wishing you the best of luck.

8. Nipper said, on January 22, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Hearst is running this paper in the ground. Lets face it, newspapers are dead. Surviving on the internet is not the same thing.

• Bozo said, on January 22, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Way to go Nip. You made it under the 24 word restriction. Oh wait…

9. stixwiz said, on January 22, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Xoot: That All-Star pic of Halladay with his five o’ clock shadow and Timmy living the Seattle mellowed-out grunge look with the hair, the grin and the cotton-flannel outdoor shirt was a priceless insight into the difference between the two teams in the NLC finals. Halliday, a bit relaxed, slightly hung-over and Timmy looking like he’d gone green for breakfast. Two different cities. Two different styles. Character won that series. Our Ace of Aces may or may not exemplify that character, but he kinda does put that dot atop the exclamation point. Basking and waiting for the robins.

• xootsuit said, on January 22, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Stix, put all of your insight together with the simple difference in physical size the photo portrays AND then add the way things played out between those two pitchers in the NLCS, and you’ve found one of the main reasons the Giants are the World Champs. The little guy is, I think, the heart of the team.

10. Rough Trade said, on January 22, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Speaking of little guys, the W’s have a couple who are awfully fun to watch. Monta with another clutch shot last night. They may not be a playoff team, but fans don’t care. Weds night Oracle was rocking as if it was the 7th game of a championship series. Not a bad way to spend the time until the boys of summer return.

11. DJLoo said, on January 22, 2011 at 8:05 pm

How’s everybody makin’ out? You do remember Loo-Loo, I hope. Got my picture taken at Finnerty’s today with the trophy, (touched it, too!). Shook hands with Neukom who thanked me for my support, (he has no idea) and gave me 2 great pins. The line was around the block – about 45 minutes to get in. Great to be in the presence of so many Giant fans. I’d like to know where the fuck they’ve been hiding my whole life. SF Giant bar my ass – they hustled us out of there pretty quick. They also cut off alcohol until the crowd thinned out due to overcrowding laws or something. Believe me I ain’t complaining…

• xootsuit said, on January 22, 2011 at 8:18 pm

That’s a picture that should appear at the top of this blog site, I think.

• delmardennis said, on January 23, 2011 at 6:51 am

Look what the cat dragged in. Got your picture taken at Finnerty’s with the World Series trophy? Big fucking deal. Did they provide you with a booster seat, or did you have to bring your own?

If I know you, you probably spent your time waiting in line bitchin’ and moanin’ how La Prevoyante got screwed outta the 1972 HOY by Secretariat. Shit happens. Especially to Canadians. You can now add Blame to that list. They gave Queen Z the sentimental vote. But racing fans are steeped in sentimentality. Hence all the tossed tickets we see on the clubhouse floor.

Welcome back.

• delmardennis said, on January 23, 2011 at 7:07 am

PS If you have any insights on the early Pick 4 from the Big A, it’d be much appreciated.

I’d release to you my early Derby horse, but I fear you’d go to the window and cut his odds in half.

12. Flavor said, on January 22, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I have done my back-end investigation on wordpress on this, we are indeed reading a post from the one and only DJ Loo. As much as I grow tired of your long absences my man, I enjoy your returns that much more.
    By the way, anyone who gets their picture taken with the trophy is more than encouraged to send it to me. I’ll put together a photo album, I’m not sure how to do that on wordpress but I think it’s easily doable……
    Mr. DJ Loo has returned, the fuckin season must be right around the corner……..

13. Sportdude said, on January 22, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Basking in how many fans I see in LA with Giants gear! Good luck Twin..