A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The Evolution of The Splash to The Flap……

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 24, 2011

Stumbled onto the Splash today. Wow. It’s so disappointing to see that blog turn into what it’s turned into. It’s just a wasteland of nonsensical idiocy, almost nothing to do with the team or the game of baseball. It’s a bunch of “look at me!” chumps….

I found The Splash in 2007, about 5 games into the season. It was the first blog I’d ever visited but  I got into it with Twin and I was hooked on blogging immediately, at least at that one particular site. The next couple of years were the best years of The Splash by a mile. We had about 12 regular posters but we would hit 300 comments in a day easily. And it was a wild, wild blog back then. Definitely over the top. But there was too much anonymity. The blog needed some accountability but it didn’t have it, The Chron could have given a shit about what was going on at their blog. We ultimately policed it ourselves.  I remember when Twin and I, in some blogger  dispute to the death, decided to end it with a joust that had  us firing off our personal  emails  to each other to fucking SETTLE THIS ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!!!!!!!!!. After that, some walls started falling. The regulars began sharing personal information, we started to get to know each other . I think the non-crazy, non homeless, non-weirdo’s decided to share things about themselves…stories…personal things…..avatars….gravatars….all of a sudden the blog world started to take a new shape. Something you could see and connect with……..Anyway, that’s why I started this place, to keep that going. We all care about one common thing, Giants baseball. And that’s what this place has been about from the first day I started it…..

1. ewisco said, on January 25, 2011 at 7:24 am

I started with the splash as well. can’t remember when exactly. i read it for at least a year before posting. people need to just ignore soph. why they get all fired up is beyond me. the niner insider turned into a shouting match for awhile but seems to have toned down with the firing of sing and the hiring of harbaugh. but mention a smith and you’ve got blood in the water.

thanks for hosting another place to hang out.

2. Bozo said, on January 25, 2011 at 7:48 am

For years I read the Splash in the mornings at work. I didn’t contribute because of the security on my work PC and didn’t use my home PC much so didn’t log on there. There was a fair amount of great information and some of the fights were funny. I’d sit there sometimes and go, so-and-so just ripped that guy a new asshole, and crack up. Was intrigued for awhile by the late night, multiple postings/blathering of yogi (?) talking to himself. But, I really loved the stories. Xoot and his yellow Caddy, BF and his daughter, Twin and his dad, Del Mar and his track betting. Whatever, there was some good stuff. Got to a point that I could skim right over anything from a few posters that bored me and stopped wondering when hawk would go over the edge again.
    Started posting after getting a package from my work and gladly joined the Flap when the Splash started fucking up.
    I still check in on the Splash from time to time and will post sometimes. All in all, the Flap is more interesting to me AND with such less drama. Thanks Flav.

3. Kevin said, on January 25, 2011 at 8:09 am

Bozo, I agree. The Splash is a great place to get a good laugh, I mean I would laugh out loud and my wife would wonder what the hell I was reading. But the Flap here this is where baseball is talked about. Great place Flav!!

4. Nipper said, on January 25, 2011 at 8:29 am

Where’s Ted Spe? He really likes this place too. As for those Twin-Flavor battles, I always enjoyed them on the Splash.

5. zumarust said, on January 25, 2011 at 8:57 am

If anyone feels up to answering a question that has probably been answered on this forum before……my question is about the arbitration process. Who submits their number first- player or team? I looked up the process on Wikipedia, and it just says the team and player both submit a number.
    Yet, the player’s number is always higher than the team’s number, so obviously, one of them is submitting their number first, and then the other offers a counter-number for the purposes of negotiation.

• Bozo said, on January 25, 2011 at 9:18 am

Not sure Zum, MLB just says Salary arbitration figures exchanged on the same date. Perhaps, negotiations between agent and team happens before. I mean if a team is willing to pay a guy more than what they would’ve asked for, do they even submit arb #s or just sign the contract right there?

• Rough Trade said, on January 25, 2011 at 9:49 am

I would think both sides submit a number at the same time. Or rather, they are revealed at the same time. I would think both sides already have a pretty good idea where the other side stands,as negotiations begin after a team grants a player arb.

6. Unca Chuck said, on January 25, 2011 at 9:18 am

Ewisco, if yer interested, I started a blog (click on my name) that is sort of a response to the Insider inanity much like this was to the Splash. A 49er blog, in other words. Coming up on 2 years now.

The problem is, a couple of the more toxic Insider posters have recently found my site (hello V) and are starting to rehash their stupid crap on mine.

The beauty? DELETE . . .

Yeah, I started posting in 2006. My curiosity was immediately piqued by a guy named Twinfan, who was posting on a Giants blog. After geting raked over the coals repeatedly, I kept coming back for more for some unknown reason.

• Bozo said, on January 25, 2011 at 9:32 am

I think Twin had you at Dunderhead, Chuck.

• delmardennis said, on January 25, 2011 at 9:37 am

Some of us have had the distinct pleasure of watching Dunderhead blossom into Fuckwad.

• Nipper said, on January 25, 2011 at 12:03 pm

He looks into the mirror and yelps out, “BLEEP IT!”

7. Bozo said, on January 25, 2011 at 10:27 am

Just went over to the Splash. Must have been a war going on. A lot of “This comment was left by a user who has been blocked by our staff”.

Speaking of newspaper sponsored blogs. Has anyone else ever wondered if staff of the paper create trolls just for their own jollies or for more hits? Would that be considered unethical? I was just curious.

• TedSpe said, on January 25, 2011 at 10:45 am

Unlikely. And yes, it *is* considered unethical

• Bozo said, on January 25, 2011 at 11:24 am

Ted, is that because the advertising rates are based on hits or something? I could see where Henry would have to post as himself on the Splash but what about VK or someone? Sorry, I’m not trying to be an ass. I really don’t know much about the blogging world and the rules for today’s newspapers, so I was just curious.

• Unca Chuck said, on January 25, 2011 at 10:52 am

Unlikely? Weeeeell, if they aren’t doing it themselves, they certainly condoned a lot of awful behavior from a lot of different people.

• TedSpe said, on January 25, 2011 at 11:40 am

I don’t know about VK but yes that’s what I meant about Henry. Someone brought this up on LaSalle’s blog and he said they to monitor to see if the blogwriter is tying to post as someone else. I suppose they could if they really wanted t using multiple computers. But they’re not paid anythig for doing the blogs so it wouldn’t have any personal gain for them either. But the practice is not encouraged.

• Bozo said, on January 25, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Thanks Ted. I just read some rules for Reuters (I imagine the Chron is about the same). And, they even suggest that reporters, being in a “transparency business” post under their own names for personal comments.

8. TedSpe said, on January 25, 2011 at 10:44 am

The Splash has become mostly interminable posts about which one is yogi? and playing gotcha! with soph. Sad really. Nice Days Till Pitchers and Catchers Report picture.

9. zumarust said, on January 25, 2011 at 11:26 am

RT, I asked the question because you never see a situation where the player asks for 2 million and the team is offering 4 or something, and the team says: “Doh!”

• Bozo said, on January 25, 2011 at 11:38 am

zum – I think the team and player try to do a new contract before entering the arb process. If that’s the case, the team has already submitted a contract offer so the player knows the amount they’re talking about. If the dollars were more than what he was thinking, he’d probably just sign the contract and not file for arbitration. Thats my best guess anyway.

• TedSpe said, on January 25, 2011 at 11:42 am

Yeah, they have to discuss *something* with each other first. That’s how Lincecum avoided arbritation last year. They were all set, waiting for the arbritrator to enter the room when they came up with an agreed contract first.

• Decap said, on January 25, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Isn’t the arbitration pretty much a set number each year after the first? Baseball writers are always writing about how much so-and-so could stand to make in arbitration next year? I am pretty sure there is a standard % raise factored in for each arb eligible season. I think that usually teams are going to submit a number lower and players submit higher than that anticipated number…. Winner is the one that gets under or over that number. At least thats how I always thought it went…

• Bozo said, on January 25, 2011 at 1:58 pm

cap – I think the actual final arbitration number is chosen between the two numbers submitted (players and teams). The arbitrators base their decision on like players and arguments with whatever negative variables a team can come up with and positive variables a player comes up with (Timmy would have used his two Cys and the Giants would have brought up the pot bust).
        But, the process of signing a contract can start before the numbers need to be submitted to MLB and as Ted pointed out, negotiations for a new contract can go until the arbitrators hear each side and make their ruling. Since I’m not positive on all of this I’ll shut my pie hole.

10. PawlieKokonuts said, on January 25, 2011 at 11:35 am

I almost forgot that I started on The splash myself, as DonTaussig. I came here because mention was made of a scoop [by Cal Stim??] on The Flap. When Timmy hurt is back. (Did Bumgarner start?) Anyway, I pretty much never returned to the Splash, except for a random hit and run grenade tossed over the transom now and then. I stayed here. Felt more welcome. Less anonymous. A smarter venue. More fun. More of a true community. And glad it’s here.

And, Magnus, it was just too hard to go down there and back, even though it’s my backyard. It was around zero, one-car family, wife working, blah, blah, blah. But yeah now I’m second-guessing why I didn’t. Whaddaya gonna do. Signed, Johhny Pizza (one of the actual names used by the mob as reported on this recent bust, biggest ever; I actually went to the DOJ website and downloaded one of the indictments; hilarious; a script by David Chase. But I digress)

11. xootsuit said, on January 25, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I can’t compare the splash and the flap. They’re two completely different venues. I greatly appreciate the reasonable (to me) amount of control BF exercises over here.

12. zumarust said, on January 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Thanks for the insight on the arbritration process, folks. I have a better idea now of how it works.

13. unca_chuck said, on January 25, 2011 at 5:31 pm

According to Bleacherreport, Mark DeRosa has ‘apparently’ recovered from his wrist surgery.

14. DJLoo said, on January 25, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Slow night in Brooklyn. Just left 2 guys in the bar arguing over which is the correct derogatory response to “what time is it?”:

Idiot # 1) “Half past the cow’s ass, a quarter to his balls”
    Idiot # 2) “Half past the cow’s ass according to his balls”

Not the first time I’ve heard this important issue debated there.

Votes?

PK: Finnerty’s was worth it, but kinda subdued. It was freezing on the line outside, but not bad really. As I wrote the other day, they seemed anxious to get everyone in and out ASAP and refused to serve alcohol until the crowd thinned. That’s why I didn’t hang around long after getting my picture taken. They did provide a milk carton to stand on for those who needed it. Neukom was super friendly.

The Splash was big fun in its day. I miss it a little.

• TedSpe said, on January 25, 2011 at 6:13 pm

According

• TedSpe said, on January 25, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Oh, and it’s monkey’s ass

• delmardennis said, on January 25, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Quarter. And it’s the monkey’s ass!

• TedSpe said, on January 25, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Pretty fucking obvious who the sophisticates are on this blog

15. Rough Trade said, on January 25, 2011 at 6:08 pm

This blog could use a little heated debate/argument/difference of opinion…Too much civility and back slapping gets boring.

• TedSpe said, on January 25, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I disagree.
      Happy?

• DJLoo said, on January 25, 2011 at 6:20 pm

We need Hanger!

• Bozo said, on January 25, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Fuck off Trade

Wait, that’s not an argument. Yes it is. No it’s not.

16. DJLoo said, on January 25, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Didn’t take Biden long to doze off…

• delmardennis said, on January 25, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I’m surprised Boehner hasn’t had to break out the Kleenex yet.

• Rough Trade said, on January 25, 2011 at 7:18 pm

He should be back in Ohio figuring out how to move the used Explorer’s.

• TedSpe said, on January 25, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Give him a minute

17. DJLoo said, on January 25, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Nancy Pelosi is still hot.

18. Mega Flavor said, on January 25, 2011 at 6:52 pm

loo, So if I had both the tapes, which would u choose: Erin Andrews or Nancy pelosi. No impulsive answers take your time!

19. stixwiz said, on January 25, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Twenty days till the first whispers of baseball begin. Another sign: After last weeks pair of humdingers here in the frozen tundra some 150 miles ssw of Frostbite Falls, things have mellowed a bit with a high here today just about touching 20 above!!! The humdingers last week had nighttime lows of 37.5 and 31.7 according to a sailboat-building buddy over to the other side of Bullshit Valley. Yes, it’s actually called that around here. Got named by a Norwegian immigrant about a hundred years ago. He returned to Norway but left kids and wife here.

Oh yeah, the sign of the impending season. Another humdinger. It’s the One Flap Down trophy, intending to be sent in the direction of Palo Alto before the season opens. Team won the W.S. Trophy as World Champs and for helping them get there as the most solid and informed fanbase in the SF blogosphere; the Flap deserves a trophy too.

Aspiring to be a master carver with a sculptor’s vision and a surgeon’s touch; i’ve been playing around with perhaps the world’s most character-laden carving medium; a tree which i call Wizard Willow and most locals know as Diamond Willow. So the intense cold being over and the light factor getting less condensed, i managed the mood to work a couple hours on One Flap Down. It stands close to 40″ high, has a diameter in no place exceeding about 2.5″, rests on 5 ‘legs’ and has one long, bent flap pointing downwards somewhere past the knees.

Wizard Willow is a cross-grained bitch if you wanna make it do what you want it to be. You don’t just pick out a piece and say i’m gonna make it into a dragon-head. Some are, though. All on their own. So my job is simple enough for a half-frozen Scandihoovian. All i gotta do is remove the stuff that shouldn’t be there any more.

So the frozen northwoods is now past what is usually our coldest week of the year and its February in a week and the crocus of the National Pastime pops outta the ground in twenty days. About time. Looking for the Big Bifecta for SF.

• unca_chuck said, on January 25, 2011 at 7:53 pm

What the hell are you talking about? Come in from the cold, dude . . .

20. twinfan said, on January 25, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Haven’t been posting much- a bit on the Splash and Insider-defending my man Alex- it infuriates some there, beyond all reason..looks like Hawk attempted a comeback , got himself banned again…
    I’ll have my “Transthoracic Echo” tomorrow, if its good, surgery 6 A.M Friday. I’ll be wearing my Giant’s cap for awhile….Good posts from all.

21. unca chuck said, on January 25, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Good luck, Mike.

This too shall pass . . .

22. TedSpe said, on January 25, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Transthoracic Echo. I remember them. Punk rock band. Used to play the Mabuhuay(sic) Gardens back in the ’70’s.
    Keep us updated, twin. Good luck, my friend.

23. unca_chuck said, on January 26, 2011 at 8:09 am

Yeah, Dane Bramage was the lead singer. Or was it Jello Biafra?

24. sj_news_reader said, on January 26, 2011 at 9:12 pm

hmm, this is interesting. I came here to see any updates on TwinFan and I found it amazing that this thread about the evolution of the splash was a topic. I first joined the splash last year in the beginning of the season and I found it interesting to have a place to talk with people online while listening to the giants games on the radio. There are some seriously screwed up people there who seem to have taken it over. The admins don’t seem to care at all. I’ve checked out the flap a couple times and overall it seems like a good place. It’s nice to see dennis, nipper, xoot and other people I know from the splash here. I’m seriously considering moving to the flap.

25. eddacker415 said, on January 27, 2011 at 9:04 am

I guys, no baseball newz from the UK. Lining up to get my tickets for 2012 in London.
    Just thought I would say hello.

26. bball&waves said, on January 27, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I just joined today but I have read this blog for a year or so. The splash is cool but it also has trolls galore and sf gate in general. There is also a commenter on that site with multiple accounts and if he disagrees with you or doesn’t like you, he just logs in with one of his 100 accounts, reports abuse, rinse repeat over and over again until all of your comments are deleted and no, it’s not wbb.

It’s a guy who has an internet addiction and he comments on mostly political topics, he gets the boot quite often but then he’s back in 30 seconds with another handle and account.

I have basically been silenced over there so I look forward to talking baseball here with you guys. Oh, and I can say shit when a Giant strikes out. Shit! That felt great.