A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Brian Wilson Needs to Tone it Down

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on January 29, 2011

I want to start by saying, I think Brian Wilson is hilarious. He’s got a super dry sense of humor, you almost hang on ever word he says. When I first saw those videos he did for his “My Life” thing I watched them over and over laughing at different nuances each time….

But if you saw his appearance on Lopez Tonight the other day you might agree that it’s time for Bee-wheezy to reel it in a bit. For starters, that wasn’t his best stuff. On a scale of 1-10 I’d rank that gig about a “5”. And baby, when you dress up as a goddamn Captain of a ship you have to nail it. It’s got to be a 9 or a 10. Otherwise, you’re just some chump dressing up on Halloween; when it’s not Halloween. And that’s a bad look, man……

Look, he’s won a World Series, he got tons of fans (including me), but when your humor is that unique you are opening yourself up to easily over-exposing yourself and going from “funny as hell” to “cheesy prop comic” in literally one appearance….

There are only so many bearded characters he can be. Here’s a tip: stick to the home videos with an occasional appearance from The Machine. And don’t forget to log your 40+ saves a year or that bit will get old, too……

1. TedSpe said, on January 29, 2011 at 8:08 am

I don’t know. It was funny enough. And I think he allowed enough time to elapse between goofy appearences. Granted, it could veer into too much but it seems somewhat under control for now.

• James said, on January 29, 2011 at 8:45 am

However contrived the schtick may get or off the mark some of his banter is, Wilson possesses some genuine wit. Given how few ballplayers either have or display it, Wilson still seems pretty fresh to me. Huff is pretty remarkable, too.

• TedSpe said, on January 29, 2011 at 8:56 am

Yes, both Huff and Wilson, at the very least, attempt to contrive not to meet cliched expectations and responses

• xootsuit said, on January 29, 2011 at 10:24 am

Huff is particularly great on radio, Wilson on video. Lincecum holds his own with them without a word, just by being Lincecum. Well, maybe a few words (fuck yeah!). How can you NOT enjoy the show, when they play so well, too?

2. TedSpe said, on January 29, 2011 at 8:39 am

For some reason, I thought today’s pitchers and catchers picture was going to be Montana

3. Flavor said, on January 29, 2011 at 8:43 am

I like that there are actual expectations out there of what I use for that widget……

• TedSpe said, on January 29, 2011 at 8:57 am

Well, they’ve been outstanding thus far

4. Flavor said, on January 29, 2011 at 9:01 am

there ya go, Ted. Don’t say I ever ignore the people’s wishes…..

• xootsuit said, on January 29, 2011 at 10:28 am

I’ll vote now for 13. The Great Omar. Also, using my uncanny powers of reverse psychology, I will help Ted’s effort along by imploring you not to go with Led Z II for 2.

5. Flavor said, on January 29, 2011 at 9:02 am

notice that I make you think, is it Super Bowl 16 he’s referencing? Or Joe Montana? Both? I’m complicated, I know……

• sj_news_reader said, on January 29, 2011 at 9:55 am

haha, that’s deep. So many levels to consider.

• TedSpe said, on January 29, 2011 at 10:40 am

Very deep

6. Macdog said, on January 29, 2011 at 9:34 am

Am I imagining things, or did I see something earlier that looked like a Sweet 16 cake as the original picture? Anyway, I thought Wilson’s appearance was pretty funny. He’s a helluva lot better than the majority of talk show guests who don’t bring anything to the table. But yeah, don’t overdo it, BW.

Best wishes as always, Twin.

7. sj_news_reader said, on January 29, 2011 at 9:57 am

As for wilson, at this point he always has bizarre interviews and I think it’d be funny if he wore a suit and did the whole “business man” approach. Very serious, straight and middle of the road. I think at this point that would be more shocking than dressing up as a boat captain or using an early 1990’s cell phone.

8. TedSpe said, on January 29, 2011 at 10:38 am

Flav and xoot, u d best.
    But Flav, please do me a favor.
    2 days for pitchers and catchers?
    Zeppelin II!!! (just to piss off xoot)
    Actually…2 days…there’s all sorts of possibilities…

9. Flavor said, on January 29, 2011 at 10:54 am

from here on out there are a lot to choose from. But lemme tell ya, the 60’s and the 50’s were my albatross….

10. Flavor said, on January 29, 2011 at 10:55 am

the problem with Wilson, as I see it, is that there really isn’t anywhere to go with his schtick. It’s all sort of the same thing. And the costumes, I dunno, I just didn’t really care for the Lopez Tonight show. It could be that I didn’t/don’t find George Lopez all that funny……

11. delmardennis said, on January 29, 2011 at 11:35 am

“the 60′s and the 50′s were my albatross….”

It pisses me off to no end that in golf they don’t call a double eagle an albatross. That’s it’s name, use it. 3 under par on a hole is an albatross. if you’re going to use birdie, bogey and eagle, you best use albatross. [end minor nonsensical rant]

12. zumarust said, on January 29, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Wilson’s not a professional comedian, so he’s sort of out of his league on this kind of stuff, but I don’t mind. The vast majority of interviews with athletes are boring, predictable cliche-ridden snooze-fests. And why not? The second you go outside the box, you get hammered. Look at what happened to Jonathan Sanchez when he predicted victory against the Padres. Or just yesterday when Berkman got specific about why he passed on going to Texas. Or the Sac King player who got specific with some criticisms of the Kings. It really is better for the athlete to just stay bland and boring, overall, in order to stay out of media trouble .
    But Wilson’s got a different schtick going. He goes outside the box, but more or less avoids really saying much about baseball while he’s doing it. He’s being different without giving other teams bulletin-board material. They just consider it all part of his zaniness. So, it’s no wonder the networks like him. An athlete that doesn’t just say the same old stuff.
    I’m not saying zaniness is always a good thing. Eric Byrnes is making a media career for himself by trying to be zany all the time, and comes off as annoying a lot of the time. Wilson does have to be careful of over-exposure. He’s not funny enough to be thinking that he’s got the comedy chops of a professional comedian. Wilson needs to dole out his schtick in limited doses. And I think he has been mostly doing that.

13. xootsuit said, on January 29, 2011 at 3:18 pm

now what’s up there under the count down? Montana sailing along in a 16 knot wind?

• sj_news_reader said, on January 29, 2011 at 4:28 pm

is that montana with his wife???? I was wondering about that but I just saw a hot chick in a bikini and then excused myself to the bathroom for a private moment.

14. sinceseventy8 said, on January 29, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I just watched the Lopez appearance, hell, I was amused. Yet, it doesn’t take much to amuse a dumb ass like me. Wilson is who he is & he’s having fun with it. When you’re an athlete you never know when it can all be over so you have to make the most of the time you have in the spotlight. With his personality he is doing just that. He might be shuffled off to a new team after next year if the G’s don’t decide to pay him & he might never recapture what he has now. I haven’t seen an update from Twin so I am really hoping all is going well. The Giants’ fans need him but on a larger scale he needs to stick around for the people close to him. Godspeed Twin.

15. Flavor said, on January 29, 2011 at 5:20 pm

yes, that’s Montana with his wife. I don’t know when that pic was taken but based off their attire it looks to be relatively recently (the last couple of years?). They both seem to be taking good care of themselves……

16. Flavor said, on January 29, 2011 at 8:19 pm

well, it wasn’t an email or a phone call, but after checking some back-end blog shit, I have total confidence that as of an hour ago, Twin is out there. Somewhere. Give us an update when you can, my man. I thought about you all day.

• sandykoufax said, on January 29, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I thought about you all day too. I hope you are comfortable Michael…

17. zumarust said, on January 29, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Some of quirks of the ’11 schedule:
    Giants are on the road for 22 of their first 31 games.
    They play the AL Central this year, but no KC.
    Of course, they also play the stupid “rivalry series” 6 games with the A’s.
    The Rockies have the AL Central, too, of course, but KC instead of Minn. That’s not fair….but….for some inexplicable reason, the Rockies do have 3 games against the Yanks at Yankee Stadium. That’s their token rivalry series this year. But only the 3 games. The other 3 games are made up by playing NL teams more- for example, the Rockies have 8 games against the Braves.
    All in all, all things considered, it’s about even on the interleague schedule, comparing the Giants to the Rockies.

18. Flavor said, on January 29, 2011 at 8:28 pm

and based on the traffic the last couple of days, with absolutely zero going on with baseball, there are lots of people out there looking for an update…….

19. Flavor said, on January 29, 2011 at 8:51 pm

btw, SJ-News, I’ve got no idea in the world how you’d beat to that photo but I’m pickin’ up what you’re thowin’ down if that’s the deal. And I don’t know what the hell that means so just roll with that and get back to me. Or not. I’ll catch you guys on the flip side. It’s *put Pretty down time*. Later…….

• sj_news_reader said, on January 30, 2011 at 9:14 am

well the pic of montana’s wife brought up old memories I had to address.

20. TedSpe said, on January 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm

twin must be resting. Good for him.

21. Black and Orange said, on January 30, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I think people need to calm down a little they start hating on Brian Wilson for “overexposing” himself in the media. Before the George Lopez show, his last TV show appearance was on Jay Leno, which was what – three months ago? His last show appearance before that was another two months earlier on Jim Rome.

The guy’s made like two TV appearances since the Series ended. It’s not like he’s Joan Rivers, trying to regularly co-host the Tonight Show or something. He’s just having a little fun with his fame. And he’s still pretty hilarious. Get a grip, people.