A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Spring Training Games

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 1, 2011

Just checked the *dynamic* pricing list for the Spring Training  games– kinda surprised at how much those tickets are: $35 lower box? $31 for Reserved Grandstand? If I went I would head straight to the lawn seats but that’s some expensive grass $9–$21 depending on the plot you stake out.

I’ve never been to Spring Training though I’ve always wanted to go— Every year I’ve got at least one friend who tries to set it up but I never can get myself together to go for it. Anyone here have any good Spring Training stories? It’s probably something I should do at least once. Couple that with the fact that my mom owns a house within 20 minutes of Scottsdale Stadium and I really have no excuses…….

1. xootsuit said, on February 1, 2011 at 7:17 am

I’ve never pulled together a ST trip, and I’m sure it’s just laziness and inertia that’s holding me back. I see other people all around me jetting off for a long ST weekend, or more, as if it were a trip to Tahoe or Santa Cruz. Some seasoned teachers from my older kids HS took a crowd of students a few years back. Seems like once you get into a rhythm it’s easy.

Nice pic today, BF.

2. ewisco said, on February 1, 2011 at 8:32 am

I went back in the 80’s I think. Ran into the stadium announcer, sherry (the first female stadium announcer in the country). she was a total hoot. I have no idea why they got rid of her. infinitely preferable to rennel. I heard rennel on the radio and she has a nice voice for that but when she announces she has a horrible tendency to shriek that makes me insane. the games were terrific fun. they play a game where everyone in your group puts a buck into a beer cup. each 1/2 inning it changes hands. you win when, after the 3rd out, the player tosses the ball toward the mound. if it stays up on the dirt, you win. all through the stadium you hear people cheering and cursing. the players all know so they have fun with it too. Pink Pony was nice, don’t remember seeing anyone though. went to the dog races and got absolutely shit faced. won a lot of money betting on the big dog in the middle. golf every day. everyone got a flask which we filled up with whatever floated our boat, mostly tequila derived. if you got a par, you drank. every par 3, you drank. pretty soon, no more pars. Never been back, though going this year with my 12u team. probably will be less drinking.

3. Nipper said, on February 1, 2011 at 8:41 am

Come on Flavor, go this year if you can get away. Report back on your blog with interesting info.

4. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 1, 2011 at 9:13 am

Magnus of the Flavoris, you must go! Ok, ok, so I missed the trophy, but you can manage this; stay with your Mom, etc. and all that. You gotta do it. I’ve never gone. YET. But my friend Dan Valenti frequently goes and has written a book or two about it. He tells me players are much more accesible. Tells me of catching fungoes with Mays one year in the Eighties! Just like that! (Described Mays’s voice as “cinnamon.”). And in the same era my brother went to FL and spoke with Ted Williams, compared him to a John Wayne character. Plus, Tommy Lasorda gave my bro the name of some top-secret restaurant (of course it would involve food if it’s Lasorda). Go east, young man.

5. Rough Trade said, on February 1, 2011 at 9:44 am

Or SW.

Players more accessible? That’s surprising.

6. eddacker415 said, on February 1, 2011 at 9:46 am

Scottsdale stadium rocks. Lawn seats suck – can’t see much and you are in the AZ sun for hours. the cubs have a stadium there as do the Dogers. (brand new btw)
    I have been a spring training guy for many years. In 2009 got to watch a third baseman I hadn’t heard of, but he was all the buzz.
    things used to be more relaxed and up close, but now it is like AAA park; rules and such.
    most people know which hotels and bars which teams frequent if you are into that sort of thing.
    I went to ST in Fla. once (1992) to go to Little Yankee Stadium. As I was sat in the bar of the hotel where the Orioles were a man came in and sat next to me. For the next 2-3 hours I talked LL baseball (I coached my kids team) and drank with Cal Ripken Sr. Great guy.

7. Decap said, on February 1, 2011 at 9:55 am

I went to Spring Training for the first time two years ago before my buddy’s wedding… I was surprised at how organized and official everything was, even more so than a AAA game. I guess I was expecting things to be more relaxed (not to mention cheaper) and more how Pawlie was describing it. Anyways it was a lot of fun, and I got to see first hand a little known outfielder chase down balls like a mad man. There was probably at least 3 balls that I thought were sure doubles or triples that Torres got to. I don’t think I’d ever seen anything like that in person. Definitely worth it….

8. TedSpe said, on February 1, 2011 at 10:03 am

Are those prices etched in stone? I thought prices were going to vary game to game this spring based on who the Giants played

9. Macdog said, on February 1, 2011 at 10:16 am

My first spring training was 1985, when my brother was living in Phoenix. First was Giants-Brewers in Sun City, a modest baseball facility smack in the middle of a retirement community. There must’ve been a few hundred people, and I couldn’t believe how close we were to the players. Next was Giants-Cubs in Scottsdale. This was the year after the Cubs lost in the NLCS to the Padres (Leon Durham!), so there were Cubs fans everywhere and the game was sold out. As my father and I walked through a parking lot behind the first base line, we noticed the cars were parked right up against a hurricane fence. In an instant, we stepped onto a bumper and easily leapt over the fence, and we were in. My biggest memory of the game was how hard it was to judge fly balls with that high sky, and the players weren’t having an easy time of it, either.

All in all, a great trip. Also went to the Grand Canyon and saw Jimmy Page with The Firm at Az. St. Walking around campus and seeing all these hot chicks, I remember thinking, Why the hell did I just spend four years freezing my ass off in upstate NY when I could’ve been here?

Flav, even though it’s a lot more structured than it was back in the 80s, I would still recommend going if you can swing it. Here in the east, spring training at least provides a good excuse to get away from the crappy weather for a few days. And this winter’s been especially crappy.

• xootsuit said, on February 1, 2011 at 11:28 am

My kid’s HS trip to ST a few years back included a tour of AZ State. Every boy on the trip came back to Berkeley determined to go to college there. Apparently, the bikinis and shorts and cetera all over campus were very impressive.

10. Unca Chuck said, on February 1, 2011 at 11:45 am

Xoot, ASU has been voted top party school for about the last 14 years in a row.

• xootsuit said, on February 1, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Location: Tempe, AZ
      In-State Tuition: $6,844
      Out-of-State Tuition: $19,629
      FT Undergraduates: 45,597
      Admission Difficulty: Very Easy

11. Bozo said, on February 1, 2011 at 11:56 am

I went in 89 and it was a blast. A lot of booze, a lot of sun and some damn fine looking women. I even did the drive down to Tucson to see them play the Indians (fun, but road trip kinda fun). The one thing I remember the most was the sky. Stories have been told about the endless skies in the desert. Well, Kevin Mitchell proved it. He hit one that just kept going up and just floating towards the fence (more like a balloon flight or something). Time sorta stopped as everyone watched that ball, the left fielder was camped out by the fence waiting for the damn thing to come down. The ball did clear the fence, probably not by much (but it was hard to say) and the next thing you heard was a car alarm going off. It was just beautiful.

12. Sandawg said, on February 1, 2011 at 11:58 am

I may have spun this yarn before, but I’ve been to Giants spring training a few times. The first time was 1991 when they had signed Rags and Willie McGee. Myself and 2 buddies got plastered and literally slept out on the field in sleeping bags at Indian School Park, where they worked out at that time—and maybe still do? We had this fantasy that the Humm Baby himself would come out there and wake us up, but it didn’t come to pass as we woke up freezing before anyone had even showed up. We saw Big Daddy throw a B game at Indian School, which was awesome. Went to a very boring game at Scottsdale Staium v the Indians where Rags got shelled and Geeter let one go over his head—definitely a foreshadowing of what was to come later for those two in Orange and Black. Charles Nagy and Albert Belle both played in that game and it was the first time I ever became aware of either guy.
    I could go on and on with spring training stories, but I have go pick up some lunches for seniors taking the exit exam today. Cheers fellas…

• TedSpe said, on February 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Wow. They make retired people take exit exams these days?

• Unca Chuck said, on February 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Yup, when you are done, you stab yourself with your #2 pencil . . .

• xootsuit said, on February 1, 2011 at 2:43 pm

If you don’t pass, you have to take the test again until you do. Then you’ll get dinner, however.

13. twinfan said, on February 1, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Still in the hospital. They had to do 2 surgeries. call me

• swickman said, on February 1, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Great to hear from you, TF! How might one reach you?

14. TedSpe said, on February 1, 2011 at 4:23 pm

The prodigal son returns

15. sandykoufax said, on February 1, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I hope you’re doing well…you had me wondering how long you were going to milk this for the attention. Seriously though, glad you’re ‘back’

16. Flavor said, on February 1, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Hey Twin, I called your hm # and spoke with someone there. I don’t have your cell I guess (I thought the # I called was a cell). Email me a better number if you are able to. I have an Open House tonight at school so I’ll be tied up then but not before or after…..
    Thanks for checking in…..

17. eddacker415 said, on February 1, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Cool, TF, good to hear from you.

2 surgeries:
    double the nursing?

18. xootsuit said, on February 1, 2011 at 6:03 pm

The people at UCSF are helpful, but the number I got just rang on when I called. Maybe the caller ID warned TF it was xootsuit on the line. (Hey, I would’ve been positive.)

You guys try it:
    415-514-5151

19. delmardennis said, on February 1, 2011 at 6:56 pm

No luck here either, no answer. I think those hot nurses must be keeping him busy.

20. PawlieKokonuts said, on February 1, 2011 at 7:40 pm

TF checks in! Now THAT is spring training in action! Or spring training ejaculatio praecox . . . or . . . whatever, great to see that post

21. Sportdude said, on February 1, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Hang in there Michael

22. Unca Chuck said, on February 2, 2011 at 10:37 am

Yeah, not getting through either. Sent a message earlier . . .