A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Belt and Who?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 9, 2011

There’s a funny headline at the Giants website: “Belt and Bucardo Help Keep the Giants Pipeline Flowing”…I was feelin’ the *Belt* part of that headline but I literally had no idea who Bucardo is. Had to look him up. If that’s their idea of a “flowing pipeline” then our farm system is in a boat load of trouble. Belt and Bucardo have nothing in common, they should be written about in completely separate articles, not grouped together in the same headline…….

For your “Underwhelming Moment of the Day”, the Giants have signed…….wait for it…….Elmer Dessens! I have no freaking clue what that is all about, even as a minor league deal.  He’s 40 years old. Maybe he played for us once and wants to retire a Giant. “Elmer Dessens Day? ” –Doesn’t really have a ring to it……

1. Bozo said, on February 9, 2011 at 7:12 am

Elmer Dessens? Maybe they needed someone to play catch with Eli or just to hang out with Vern and Vera.
    Had a pretty good year for the Mets last year, but I would think it’ll be tough for him to break into our bull pen.

2. Unca Chuck said, on February 9, 2011 at 8:16 am

Spring training inning eater . . .

I hate it when I post something and realize there’s a new post . . .

So, back to Matt Cain . . .

Crazy thing is, he’s the longest tenured Giant on the team.

Yeah, what I found so good about Matty was his NEVER giving in to the frustration of not getting run support over the past few years. Especially as such a young guy at the time. His 7-18 record was ungodly when he had the 3rd best ERA in the majors. He could have easily done as little as state the obvious, but he never did. He could have easily SHOWN even a little frustration on the bench. It was always on him, according to him.

The one thing he really did improve on is not losing guys that were 0-2, 1-2. A couple years ago, he had a tendency to groove FBs at times when ahead in the count. But hey, we can blame that on Bengie . . .

This is the year he is in the Cy Young running. 21-8, baby!

• delmardennis said, on February 9, 2011 at 8:21 am

Maybe it would be helpful if Flav alerted you when there was a NEW POST ! ! !

• Unca Chuck said, on February 9, 2011 at 8:41 am

Shit, have I reached your level, Dennis?

• Nipper said, on February 10, 2011 at 6:09 pm

BLEEP!

3. TedSpe said, on February 9, 2011 at 9:29 am

Elmer Dessens???
    Kill duh waaaabbit, kill duh waaaabbit, kill duh waaaabbitt

• delmardennis said, on February 9, 2011 at 9:56 am

Elmer’s gonna need a huntin’ license first. I don’t think being a card-carrying member of the AARP entitles you to shoot wabbits.

4. zumarust said, on February 9, 2011 at 10:22 am

I guess what I wonder is what’s the definition of a really productive farm system? There seems to be two things a farm system should do- produce future impact players for the MLB team, and produce players that can be traded for established veterans.
    A while back, the Dodgers had that amazing streak of several rookies-of-the-year in a row. But that’s not a realistic goal for teams. A rookie of the year candidate every once in a while is cool. Maybe Belt will be that at some point this season. Unless he tears it up in Spring Training, he will start the season at AAA like Posey last year, and maybe get brought up at some point in the season. Maybe start the year with Burrell in leftfield, and transition to Belt. They could give Belt some leftfield work at Fresno. And keep the older player, Huff, at firstbase, so his legs can stay more rested throughout the long season. Although….Huff seemed to get a kick out of playing leftfield. Heck, you just have to love Huff’s attitude, overall. Another part of the great chemistry the Giants have as a team.

5. zumarust said, on February 9, 2011 at 10:25 am

Speaking of Cain….one of the coolest things about winning the championship is Cain getting a World Series ring. Because of lack of run support early in his career, his career numbers may never look as awesome as he has become. But he’s getting a ring in April, and he had a post-season pitching performance for the ages.

6. 3bagger said, on February 9, 2011 at 11:51 am

HOLY SHIT…Jorge Bucardo!!!! Funny story about Jorge. I attended the San Jose Giants Italian night last summer with my family. It was a fantastic time and all the players wore black Giants jerseys with red, white and green trimmings. They had a silent auction for the player worn and signed jerseys to be given to the buyers after the game by the players themselves. Being that we were going to Italian night at ATT a couple weeks later, I had to have one. But rather than get into a bidding war (some went for $200 a pop) I chose the jersey that had no bidders…Jorge Bucardo! I won the bidding at $40 not even knowing who he was. After the game, all the buyers were invited on the field to receive their jerseys from the players, but no one could find Bucardo. I was given the jersey by the clubhouse manager with a certificate of authentication. My thoughts are that he wasn’t even at the game and that his signature was forged. But hey, I got a brand new Italian Giants jersey on the cheap and I’ll always cheer for mt good buddy Jorge.

• Bozo said, on February 9, 2011 at 12:53 pm

That is funny bag. Since his jersey only brought in $40 they probably made old George do the team laundry that night, so he was unavailable.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on February 9, 2011 at 1:08 pm

3b,
        You can’t even make up something that bizarre and entertaining. Yoikes!

• TedSpe said, on February 9, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Great story. Plus you get to tell it EVERY Italian night

• 3bagger said, on February 9, 2011 at 3:42 pm

It was a fun night and I do love the jersey, but I never thought I’d hear the guys name again except for when my wife and I joke about a player we’ve never heard of…we call them Jorge. Hope to see him playing for the big league club someday.

7. Billy mays said, on February 9, 2011 at 1:18 pm

How about belt and Crawford , where was Crawford on that list flavor ?

8. swickman said, on February 9, 2011 at 2:15 pm

No respect? Bleacher Report lists the top 10 Giants players who could become trade bait by the deadline if the Giants were to become sellers. Sheesh, couldn’t they at least have said that the players are trade bait if the Giants need a bat to improve? We are the World Series fucking champions, after all.

• zumarust said, on February 9, 2011 at 2:52 pm

No big surprises there- the usual suspects, so to speak. I think Jonathan Sanchez is real close to being moved off that kind of list. He is getting better, and has such a huge upside still.
      Which makes me wonder, what will the actual rotation be? The Giants will probably want a lefty between Tim and Matt, so who will it be? Is it time to go Bum in the #2 spot, or do you give Jonathan the spot, because it’s “his turn at it”?

9. zumarust said, on February 9, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I finally got around to reading the SFGate article that compares Belt’s OPS to Votto’s OPS, and I would say the article in no way was trying to compare Belt’s ability to Votto’s ability. In my opinion, the author was using Vott’s number just to illustrate to the reader what a great OPS number would be, given the fact that a lot of folks are not that familiar with OPS.

10. 3bagger said, on February 9, 2011 at 3:53 pm

With the way the postseason went, Bum should have the #2 slot on performance alone. However, becasue of his youth/inexperience, and the fact that Sanchez has waited longer, Boch will go with Sanchez. Actually, I think that’s what I would do too. It would definitely give Sanchy a confidence boost, which is what would help him most since his biggest problem is between his ears.

11. Unca Chuck said, on February 9, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Sooooo:

Tim
    Nasty
    Matt
    Bummie
    Zito

?

• Nipper said, on February 10, 2011 at 6:12 pm

BLEEP IT!

12. Mega Flavor said, on February 9, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Zumie, I think the comparison just showed how out of it schulman is when it comes to stats. Ops is hardly some complicated saber stat. I don’t think he gives his readers much credit

• zumarust said, on February 9, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I could see that. I’ve read articles by sportswriters that don’t seem to think the fans know all that much.
      That’s why I like the MLB network. It’s a network for baseball fans. It doesn’t worry about the “casual” fan.
      The only thing I don’t like about the network is their fascination with old tapes of All-Star homerun contests. But they won’t air those as we get closer to the season.

13. Flavor said, on February 9, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Wait a minute, you’re off the all star home run contest re-runs? I coulda sworn those were your thing. Insert……..the……..GAY ASS SMILEY FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Nipper said, on February 11, 2011 at 6:25 am

BLEEP most of the stats. When you need a key hit, who produces is the only thing I want to know.