A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Bochy’s *Surprising* Prediction

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 15, 2011

Actually, I find that prediction quite pedestrian. EVERYONE is picking the Phillies. But honestly, who gives one whit about a pre-season baseball prediction? 162 games can sometimes feel like a lifetime, or more. So much changes,  surprising players (or did all of you take the “over” on Bautista hitting 50+ home runs last year?), so many injuries, mid season trades, mid season call ups….

I think it’s fairly obvious that the Phillies are the favorites to win their division. I’d be bummed if my team played in the NL East, they are definitely built for the long haul. But I am 100% totally confident of playing them in 7 in the playoffs. Again, for obvious reasons. We just finished beating everyone on their staff except, I think, Blanton. The Phillies don’t scare me in the playoffs. I bet Ryan Howard’s bat is still sitting on his shoulder…….

Trophy tour blazes through Palo Alto today. I’m bummed, the EARLIEST I can get down there is about 5 o’clock and supposedly they’re only showing it from 4-6pm. I’m worried about the lines but the weather is sucking so that might work to my favor. If there’s no chance of me getting my picture taken with it I’ll just have to settle for taking pictures of it; and basking in its radiant glow……..

1. Bozo said, on February 15, 2011 at 7:24 am

Without a RH bat in the middle of the of the order for the Phils, Lopez may get 3 guys instead of one. And, I’m good with that.

Like the opening day countdown, looks like I’ve got a ticket in the Club.

That was a great way to spend 12 minutes.

Can’t believe big titty wasn’t high on the Flap search stat.

Sorry, just catching up.

Welcome back Twin!

2. Big Flavor said, on February 15, 2011 at 7:42 am

yeah, I decided to bring the babes back for the countdown to opening day. Who knows, I might even keep the BBCD. Instead of a countdown I could just have them counting……

3. eddacker415 said, on February 15, 2011 at 8:38 am

the question is asked and Bruce is thinking: we will win the west so the team to beat is, scratching bone head, umm St. Louis, no, Atlanta?
    ahh, here it is, “Phillies”, he said.
    job done

• Bozo said, on February 15, 2011 at 8:51 am

ed – I’m thinking Atlanta might just upset the Phils for the Division

4. Kevin said, on February 15, 2011 at 8:40 am

So I don’t know which on said on KNBR this morning but how does this sound your Giants open spring training camp as Defending World Series Champions. I like it!!!

5. eddacker415 said, on February 15, 2011 at 8:42 am

that count is all messed up, I count 71/2, but the caption says ’45’
    oh, well
    I’m really sad: will miss ST, can’t watch CSNBA and all the world series DVDs don’t come in a format that plays on European hardware.
    maybe I’ll find a disk that plays on my computer?

welcome home TF no arguing balls and strikes with the nurse…

6. Nipper said, on February 15, 2011 at 9:22 am

Predictions are no better than horsebleep. We know it’s there but it’s the result of past activity. If everyone stays mostly healthy, the opportunity for a run is there.

7. zumarust said, on February 15, 2011 at 9:25 am

Color me impressed. I heard Baggarly for the first time, speaking on KNBR this morning. He comes across as very intelligent, straightforward, and delightfully devoid of SCHTICK. Hearing him just reminded me of how many of the sportswriters and pundits use schtick when they’re talking, like they’re suddenly comedy club material, or have to show a PERSONA, like they’re trying to win a part in De Niro’s next dramatic film.
    Of course, schtick is always welcome from the Flappers! (grin)

• TedSpe said, on February 15, 2011 at 10:02 am

Ratto’s the worse although using your metaphor, actually he *does* look a little like Jake LaMotta (albeit avec ‘stache) in his waning years

• xootsuit said, on February 15, 2011 at 10:02 am

Sentence by sentence, Baggarly’s the best writer of the bunch, too. Henry’s pretty good on the radio — no b.s. Unfortunately, he often has to deal with the Razor’s stupid questions, and then he ends up saying less than he could. I’ve never heard Henry with the morning guys.

• Slam said, on February 15, 2011 at 11:19 am

Brian Murphy made very negative comments about Schulman, sounds like he won’t be on the morning show anytime soon.

• xootsuit said, on February 15, 2011 at 10:06 am

Ratto’s a buffoon. If he were a beat writer, the players would invent absurd rumors to feed to him. They’d have a season-long game going to see who could get him to publish the dumbest stuff.

• Bozo said, on February 15, 2011 at 10:24 am

Ratto sometimes writes like he is on acid or I should be, to read it.

Not a print guy, but I can’t stand Ralph Barbieri. He was sitting a couple rows behind me on a plane from SFO to Atlanta some years ago. Some idiot, no that’s IDIOT, asked him how he got started in the biz. He rattled on for hours, talk about air rage.

One thing about some of the older print writers that bugs me, is how some of them (Dickey, Jenkins) will rag on a guy forever if an interview has been blown off. I understand it’s their job and all, but some of those guys seem to hold that grudge forever.

• TedSpe said, on February 15, 2011 at 10:46 am

Passenger: “I’ve always wanted to work in radio”
      Barbieri: “It’s a tough life, kid. It’s not easy to break through”
      Passenger” “So, say, how did *you* get started?”
      Barbieri: “Me? (pauses, bites upper lip, shuts eyes for a moment)..well kid, it all started in my Junior High school. We had an assembly and local radio legend Milt Watkins was the guest speaker. I don’t know, there was just something magical that day. An electricty that came over me that…”

• Bozo said, on February 15, 2011 at 11:02 am

Yup Ted, it was pretty much like that (it might have started with High School though). That whine of a voice just kept going and going. It was brutal.

• xootsuit said, on February 15, 2011 at 11:02 am

Barbieri: “An den whadda ya dink I did?”
        Passenger: “Pardon?”
        Barbieri: “AN DEN WHADDA YA DINK I DID?”
        Passenger: “Oh, uh, I don’t know. What did you do?”
        Barbieri: “Den I said to im I said Mummud . . . call im Mummud, never Ah Lee . . . Course he could hardly talk at duh time . . . But I said, Mummud . . . .”

• Slam said, on February 15, 2011 at 11:25 am

Ralph is a pain in the ass, but look how long he’s been at KNBR ? Love him or hate him, the guy’s a legend. He must pull ratings.

8. Kevin said, on February 15, 2011 at 9:32 am

You know it is spring training when Tim Lincecum walks into Scottsdale Stadium wearing plaid shorts, flip flops and a grey knit cap. Oh and the mustache he tried to grow, he claims his dog licked it off. All of this per Henry Schulman

9. Slam said, on February 15, 2011 at 11:27 am

The Phillies were clearly the best NL team last year, RIGHT ? Well, how did that work out for them …

• Kevin said, on February 15, 2011 at 12:57 pm

That’s what I say to people who complain about the Giants not having a big bat, all that offense the Phillies and the Rangers had…how did that work out for them??

10. Unca Chuck said, on February 15, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Funny thing was, Kevin, down the stretch last year, it truly was HR derby for the Giants. They scored something like 95% of their runs off the long ball.

Feast or famine.

• delmardennis said, on February 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Even with all those HRs we were avg. less runs/gm for that stretch. I believe my favorite slogan at the time was, “If we don’t homer, we DON’T score.” I went so far as to plead for LESS homers.

• Unca Chuck said, on February 15, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Lot of good that did, Dennis . . .

11. twinfan said, on February 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Got sprung last night…
    Big bat? Giants were tied for most HRs after the break. More ducks on the pond and they can be a juggernaut offensively…

• Unca Chuck said, on February 15, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I finally get the number to the hospital, and you’re freed . . .

Glad yer feeling better.

Are you feeling better?

• twinfan said, on February 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Better than what? 😉
        Right hand is totally non-functional, hope to get it back someday….other than that,happy to be here…

• Unca Chuck said, on February 15, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Yikes. That’s right. You mentioned something about the right side issues.

Typing is good therapy, right?

• twinfan said, on February 15, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Yeah, if icould use it, it’s just a paperweight right now. I’m typing lefthanded. I’m a loogie…

12. twinfan said, on February 15, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Just elaborating on Chuckie’s post..

13. eddacker415 said, on February 15, 2011 at 1:34 pm

ahh, counting by 6 – now I see it

14. delmardennis said, on February 15, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Opening “Rundown” from Baggs. B-Wheezy’s driving an unmarked police car. Sounds right.

15. macdog said, on February 15, 2011 at 2:07 pm

A note from today’s AP report: Posey’s magic carried over from 2010. In his first swing, he sent the ball over the fence. Bochy’s advice? “Don’t peak too early.”

16. Mega Flavor said, on February 15, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Just took my picture with the trophy. It was brilliant. Still can’t believe that’s ours. I’ll post it after I buy it online

17. Mega Flavor said, on February 15, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I posted some pics on facebook, I had a cop take a pic of me and the trophy

18. stixwiz said, on February 15, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Twin: “More ducks on the pond and they could be a juggernaut”. That’s the role i see for Belt, by the Break or so, anyway. Dude can hit for average, has good gap power, nice turn of speed and appears to have the type of batting eye where he draws a lot of walks. Ultimately, i see him in the two-hole, with Franchez probably dropped to #8. Kid could score a lot of runs. Doubtful whether there is any huge rush to call him up unless he has a monster ST. It’s always nice for a team to get a big shot in the arm around mid-season. With his OBP potential, Brandon could be the boy.

19. twinfan said, on February 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Soph loved your take on the Giants, Craig…
    Always a bummer when she agrees with me, even worse when I’m hugged. Never did get the call from Bryn Mawr, of course. Call from Dennis was a hoot and a holler- he’s the same guy in “real life”.
    Let’s keep in mind, the team that finished the year played over .600 ball- not the barely over .500 from earlier. And I expect Tejada to have a similar but even better power resurgeance as Uribe did here. Juan was a joy but Miggy is much the better hitter, he’ll love Aurilia Plaza…

20. DJLoo said, on February 15, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Have you heard the nickname they’re pushing for the Phil’s starting staff?
    “Mound Rushmore”

21. Flavor said, on February 15, 2011 at 7:33 pm

That’s fucking awful, I’ll assume that’s a joke, Loo. The Phillies starting 5 is no better than the Giants and could actually be argued that they are slightly worse. Your staff doesn’t get a nickname until it does something. The fucking A’s starting 5 could have a better overall ERA than the Phillies………

• zumarust said, on February 15, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Well, it’s the East Coast hype thing. Same as it ever was. But that’s OK. I think it worked in the Giants’ favor last season. The Giants were able to fly under the radar and sneak up on people. I guarantee you the Rangers never knew what hit them.

22. twinfan said, on February 15, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Our top four are all early to mid-twenties. Three of the Phils are 30+. I’ll take the Champs, thank you…

23. Flavor said, on February 15, 2011 at 8:03 pm

and that’s where that “track record” shit comes out. Just looking at the back of a baseball card. Fuck that. Age matters. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Oswalt fell apart this year. Halladay is a horse but so was Brandon Webb. And Lee dealt with a balky back last year. Because of all this hype, handing them their ass (again) will be that much sweeter. Let’s see if Howard gets his bat off his shoulder this time………

24. twinfan said, on February 15, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Besides the great pitching, the Giants were finally built to go head to head with the long ball in the road parks. Another huge factor- the defense of Edgar and Juan in the postseason- this was quite simply the best team and as we saw- it wasn’t close…

25. Flavor said, on February 15, 2011 at 8:09 pm

had a great talk with *The Kokonut* this afternoon. I’ve spent about 30 actual face-to-face minutes around this man and I feel like I’ve known him a lifetime. The bond of a 2 Giants fans….I had to finally hang up on him to drive my daughter’s play-date home but i could have talked about the Giants with Pawlie forever…..
    ps– I asked the picture dude today if it would be cool if I snapped off one of the flags as a momento since there were plenty left to admire. He was not amused…..

26. Flavor said, on February 15, 2011 at 8:10 pm

and don’t forget Franchez’s defense. He was a defensive monster in the world series……..

• twinfan said, on February 15, 2011 at 8:15 pm

True, the infield defense was stellar. Fruckie was a whirlwind…

27. xootsuit said, on February 15, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Oswalt at 33 could be ready for a fall. He bounced back last season, after a mediocre 2009, in which he threw his fastball much less often than in earlier seasons. His FB was effective against the Giants in the playoffs, however. So he’s a tough sob. But he seems vulnerable.

The other day Grant, over at McCovey Chronicles, posted a seriously doom-laden piece on Tejada. Miggy’s first half last season in Baltimore was pretty dull; but he came on with the Pads in the second half. I sure wasn’t happy to see him playing against the Giants down the stretch. So he really may be the biggest question mark headed into ST. Which Tejada will start the season this year? I’ve always liked him, and I expect him to rake.

28. Flavor said, on February 15, 2011 at 8:17 pm

One thing Pawlie and I discussed this afternoon that we totally agreed on: the The Fantastic Story That is Cody Ross. Every single clip of this guy is a revelation. To me, he defined the post season. I drive home every day by a road called “Ross Road”. Last Fall, probably in the Atlanta series, someone spray painted “Cody” on the sign. It was up for a day before the city erased it. I think about that altered sign every single day I drive by it……

• DJLoo said, on February 15, 2011 at 8:50 pm

About 25 years ago in Brooklyn, Flav, they replaced the cords that you would pull on the bus to make the little chime sound, so the driver would know you wanted to get off at the next stop. In its place, they installed a yellow tape that ran the length of the bus and you would press it to make the chime sound. There were signs all over the bus with the instruction:
      “PRESS YELLOW TAPE TO SIGNAL FOR STOP”.
      Well within a week, on almost every bus you’d get on, someone had strategically blacked out letters so that the sign would read:
      “YELL APE TO SIGNAL FOR STOP”
      Many did.
      I think about that altered sign every day on the bus.

29. Flavor said, on February 15, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I’m not a huge Miggy fan. I’m more guarded than negative. As long as he isn’t swinging for the fences I think he’ll work out. He could really thrive with all the doubles he could hit at ATT. He’s not Juan Uribe. No one is. And Juan Uribe isn’t even Juan Uribe anymore. Huge fall for that dude is LA next year………

30. twinfan said, on February 15, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Miggy will hit 20 plus HR without trying. ATT sparked Juan’s power surge, it will do the same and then some for Tejada who has always been much the better hiiter than Juan…
    In my ever humble and mellow opinion, that is…

31. Flavor said, on February 15, 2011 at 9:09 pm

15. Max. Probably more like 12.

• twinfan said, on February 15, 2011 at 9:54 pm

At home…
      Goodnight, long first day, talk to you tomorrow…

32. xootsuit said, on February 15, 2011 at 9:18 pm

If Tejada’s not hitting in the first half, he may not play full time the second half. In that unlikely event, 10-12 HRs for him. Otherwise, plenty more. (I know Giants fans are sour on ex-A’s stars after Zito; I understand. But Tejada’s different. Tejada’s a stud.)

33. DJLoo said, on February 15, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Reyes could be on the block if the Mets are floundering. He could hit 30 triples in ATT if healthy.