A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Albert Pujols and Aaron Rowand and Me With The Dream

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 18, 2011

Quite the buzz created when Pujols shut down negotiations with the Cardinals. In a Yahoo article, the Giants were listed as a possible destination. I don’t see it (and wouldn’t want to see it), Sabean doesn’t do deals like that anymore. And who really wants Pujols on the back end of that deal? 30 million a year and he can’t play defense the last couple of years that we have him? No thanks….

I’ve got a theory on why Pujols didn’t sign with the Cards and it’s not because he wanted an “A-Rod deal” (275 million or so). After the Cardinals signed Holliday to that 120 million dollar deal I immediately thought, well how are they going to afford Pujols, too? This is a team that is pretty consistently around 90 million dollars a year with their payroll. Now it’s coming out that they did come in with a 200 million dollar offer, though the number of years is unknown. I think Pujols looked at the numbers and just decided “We can’t win a world series with that much money tied up into two players.” He’s 31, he’s only won one, at this point in his career that goal (WS) has to be the prevailing motivation for him. Of course, he’ll get a deal offered to him north of 200 million no matter what numbers he puts up this year. But I bet he ends up going to a team that can either handle the salary pressure of 2 guys making over 100 million or a team that doesn’t have all their chips committed to two players……….

Nice to read that Rowand spent the Winter in a batting cage (insert huge sarcastic smiley face). I have no idea why this dude thinks that more practice is the answer. He’s got the swing down, he’s perfected that. Problem is, it doesn’t work. Now he’s saying he’s perfected a *new* swing, one in which he’s more upright. This is all bullshit, he was more upright starting last year (when compared to 2009) and look where that got him. And God help us if he hammers the crappy-ass pitching he’s going to see in Spring Training. Bochy’s head will explode with excitement and he’ll give him the LF job. Then, presto, the season starts and he’ll be rolling ground balls to 3rd base/SS with impeccable regularity…….

1. zumarust said, on February 18, 2011 at 8:59 am

We’ve talked about how Kruk and Kuip never analyze Rowand’s batting problems. Well, at least I’VE never seen them do it. Rowand gets a pass from them. So, anyway, I’m reading my copy of Lindy Sports’ 2011 baseball preview, and when talking about Rowand, they offer a little bit of analysis of his batting problems. It’s only a little bit, but still- at least it’s SOMETHING that we never get from K&K. (Don’t get me wrong- I otherwise like K&K a lot.)
    The guy in Lindy’s says (in his opinion) that it’s a bat-speed problem for Rowand, which happens to a lot of players as they get older. So, some batters start “cheating.” They swing a little early to compensate, and therefore are really vulnerable to off-speed stuff, and pull a lot of grounders to the infield.

• Rough Trade said, on February 18, 2011 at 9:58 am

I think they feel it would be redundant at this point.
      Besides, neither of them could hit. Kruk’s particular strength is offering a pitcher’s perspective.

2. zumarust said, on February 18, 2011 at 9:04 am

For no particular reason, here’s a song:

• Unca Chuck said, on February 18, 2011 at 10:19 am

Here’s a reply apropos of nothing, Zumie. Just the fact that so many of those bands in the heady grunge days were so endearing in their attitudes of fuck it, let’s play. It goes back to the Ramones, the Clash, the Trashmen, and the Surfaris . . . Plus, grunge killed the ahir band days with a ruthless venegance.

Garage band excellence.

• sj_news_reader said, on February 18, 2011 at 8:39 pm

holy crap…i HATED that band, but that was their one good song

3. twinfan said, on February 18, 2011 at 9:16 am

Bochy sat Rowand as soon as it was clear that Pat still had it. If he’s on the team at all ,he’ll be insurance for Torres and the 5th OFer..The Bochy/Rowand man criush nonsense was emphatically debunked last year…

4. zumarust said, on February 18, 2011 at 9:18 am

Here’s some summery images for this cold day today. OK- it’s RETRO summery images, but still….http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WngGeI9lnA&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1

5. TedSpe said, on February 18, 2011 at 9:39 am

I go to Google and type in pujols. Here’s what I get in this order:

pujols
    pujols contract
    pujols countdown
    pujols giants
    pujols stats

“giants” even before “stats”. Weird

6. stixwiz said, on February 18, 2011 at 9:52 am

I’m in full agreement that the Giants should not and are highly unlikely to even pretend to begin to pursue Pujols in the off-season next. Whether strategically, or because they fell into it, or as a lame legacy of their bad draft choices during the Bonds years; San Francisco’s upper management has hit upon the concept of NOT building their team around one or two dominant position players.

Star power is attractive, and for some teams, virtually compelling. Featuring a big-bopper does succeed in putting asses in the seats. Teevee revenue, too, usually takes a positive bump. So the temptation is there, but it looks more and more likely that the SF Brass has given this possibility a long, cold look and ultimately decided that team means team and that the presence (and the outlay for) one or two dramatic big bats, does not a World Championship bring.

Again, whether by design, or whether things just worked out that way, the Giants TEAM is made up of a formidable cast of CHARACTERS, which, thanks to the presence of guys like Huff. Burrell and even DeRosa from the “bench”, jelled into the kind of unit which started hitting (also pitching and fielding) on all cylinders and ultimately made fairly quick work of other squads dominated by players who, on those ratings scales all over the recently released BB mags, on a man per man position basis clearly outclassed the Giants individually. But the Giants had the better team.

So long as some other outfit does not catch on and develop a squad more based on their coherence as a unit rather than individualistic star qualities and so long as SF sticks to its current one for all and all for one strategy; the Giants could dominate for years to come.

Dominant pitching, particularly the starting rotation, plus unit cohesion on the field = Winning Dynasty.

7. TedSpe said, on February 18, 2011 at 9:58 am

I think you all are nuts. The Giants *HAVE* dominant pitching and barring injury *WILL* have for some time to come. What the fuck is the downside of having the game’s most dominant hitter when all the other pieces are already in place? My only possible arguement against would be financial.

• xootsuit said, on February 18, 2011 at 11:25 am

only possible argument against would be financial?
      you think? at 10 years, $30M per?

8. Rough Trade said, on February 18, 2011 at 10:14 am

The writer was only saying here are the teams that could realistically “afford” him, not who would be interested. The G’s would extend someone like Posey a 10 yr deal when he’s arb eligible, but I can’t see they getting in deep with Pujols or any player over 30 seeking a mega contract.

9. TedSpe said, on February 18, 2011 at 10:37 am

I just read Hank Aaron predicts a Giants-Red Sox World Series for 2011. Then again, he also predicted Ken Griffey Jr. would be the one to break his home run record.
    Still, it’s nice to read

• Unca Chuck said, on February 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

Junior would have without the injuries. . . .

• TedSpe said, on February 18, 2011 at 10:48 am

True. And Aaron *did* make that prediction around the late ’90’s. I was just making a sorry attempt at humor

10. Flavor said, on February 18, 2011 at 10:57 am

just posted a pic of me and our trophy. One of my favorite pictures ever.

• TedSpe said, on February 18, 2011 at 11:09 am

(this photograph of Big Flavor with the World Champion Giants trophy brought to you by VISA).
      Great picture Flav

11. xootsuit said, on February 18, 2011 at 11:22 am

On the splash Henry says the trainers led Eli off the field to get an MRI on his elbow. Now, I’m not a religious man, but to see this development just the day after so many of you here in this particular church prayed for Eli to leave — well, I’m staggered. Did one of you make a little No Whitey doll and poke at the elbow with a needle? Dennis?

• TedSpe said, on February 18, 2011 at 11:31 am

And here I thought I bought a Rowand doll

12. delmardennis said, on February 18, 2011 at 11:26 am

I saw this coming a mile away — you guys JINXED NO Whitey. For shame. For shame.

13. delmardennis said, on February 18, 2011 at 11:36 am

You guys can forget about Vera’s scrumdiddlyumptious Apple Betty’s. You’re on her shit-list now.

I hope you guys are happy. Now what? Buster can’t catch all the games. Maybe it’s bra fitting time again.

14. Rough Trade said, on February 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Relax. It apears to be just mild inflammation.

15. ewisco said, on February 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm

well if albert wants to win a ws, then it’s conceivable that he could sign with the g’s for less overall money (3 yrs max). isn’t rowand coming off the books next year? that should free up some and zito the year after. I really prefer the new philosophy of 2 yr contracts. if you want to win, you’ll get enough money to take care of your family for life. you won’t maximize your earning potential but if you’ve got ENOUGH, isn’t winning more fun than eating shit year after year?

I started my morning at the Buena so maybe it’s the irish’s talking.

16. Unca Chuck said, on February 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Shot, guys. In a pinch, they can put Panda back behind the plate.

MDR goes to 3rd . . .

17. Unca Chuck said, on February 18, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Fuck, I hate it when I type shot for shit.

I also hate it when the blog tells me I’m posting too fast.

18. twinfan said, on February 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Vern was apprehended just an hour ago, Whitey doll and pins in a knapsack. Vern said the embarassment had become too much. He also hoped that Eli would take over Vern’s refigerator magnet business this year…

19. snarkk said, on February 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm

So, BF we’re already hearing how hard Rohand worked in the offseason? And he’s changed his stance again? Right. Like my rants on him, this is so tired going into his 4th season here. BFD. We’ve got the champeenship now, so this dude is more than movable with a cash kicker, he has to be moved. He supposedly was the hardest practicing guy on the squad, taking 500 cuts a day or whatever. If your stance suxx and your AB approach suxx, stop the work. Just stop. Eat pizza and beer, spit sunflower seeds all day, scratch your ass. Just don’t practice the SOS constantly, since the result is nada. I hope a trade to the Phils is in the works, I’d luv to hear how hard we works in the Phils cage as he rolls the umpeenth grounder to third for a DP…

20. Bozo said, on February 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm

OK, what if the Giants picked up Albert for just this year (rental). A trade for Rowand and Ishi or something like that. Don’t know if Pujols has a no trade clause, but what if it was just financial for the year AND you get rid of Rowand?
    I know, I know. Fuck off, Bozo.

• TedSpe said, on February 18, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Did you ever see that stand-up comedian who called himself Tommy Sledge? He’d do his routine in the personification of a rugged P.I. ala Phillip Marlowe. One of his jokes was:
      ” I saw this gorgeous gal in gin soaked dive the other night. So I walked up to her and said ‘Pardon me, miss, I was wondering what’s your name, dollface? Fuck Off Bozo? Well, can I buy you a drink, Miss Bozo? May I call you Fuck Off?'”

• Bozo said, on February 18, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Yes ted, you can call me Fuck Off, I like it better than dollface.

• snarkk said, on February 18, 2011 at 2:30 pm

One year of Pujols in exchange for Rohand and Ishi? Uh, I’m guessing the Cardinals GM wants to get out of Busch Stadium alive, so he won’t do that trade…

• Bozo said, on February 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I know it’s whacked, but if you’re losing the guy anyway, what the fuck? First round draft pick next year, or a CF and 1B this year (or Zito if they want to go that way). I know it won’t happen, but if the Cards want something and the Giants have it, why not while you wait for Belt. The only other option the Cards have this year is trading with a team that wants to sign him long term. Yanks have Tex and the Sox have Gonzalez, so unless the Angels were in play, The Cards get a one and done.

21. eddacker415 said, on February 18, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I posted my knowledge on the contest under Flav’s post yesterday
    damned UK time
    here is what I show, TFs results are final word, of course.

Blade: Beltre Rangers

No One picked: Renteria Reds

MacDog: La Roche Nationals
    Ghead: LaRoche Nationals

SportsDude (with the free pass): Cabrera Indians

No One picked: Vlad Orioles

22. eddacker415 said, on February 18, 2011 at 2:08 pm

anyone want to look at the sheet can email me
    eddacker [dot] uk [at] g mail com
    you may have to correct this to make it work
    let me know what type reader you use (excel, openoffice, csv, googledocs, etc)

23. eddacker415 said, on February 18, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I think Pujols would be a lost puppy playing in SF, but it would solve any questions about first base.

I hope we get off to a fast start out of ST, coast around the AS game and then hammer it home in Aug-Sept

Go Giants!

24. snarkk said, on February 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Link to opening night party at ATT with trophy photo opps, club level and drinks access, plus tour of dugouts, visitor clubhouse?, some areas of park, as you watch Timmy beat down the Dodgers. Benefits the Guardsmen charity. A way smaller fanfest, no more than 2000 supposedly will be allowed. I’m goin’…

25. Billy mays said, on February 18, 2011 at 3:28 pm

For 30 mill a year thats a bit sketchy , even though the first 4 or 5 years of that deal you have the best player alive still in his prime. After the 5 years….

26. Unca Chuck said, on February 18, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Snarkk, that sounds cool. Might have to venture down the hill . . .

27. Kevin said, on February 18, 2011 at 5:12 pm

They are talking to Sabean on Chronicle Live right now

28. delmardennis said, on February 18, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Pablo weighed in at “around 240” today according to Baggs. That’s a pretty big drop if you believe he topped out at 278 last year.

I’d like to see some of you boobs try and lose 38 lbs. Forgetting about and leaving your 3yo kid at the mall doesn’t count.

• Kevin said, on February 18, 2011 at 5:56 pm

So they brought up a good question on Chronicle Live, if Wilson gets hurt, who could step in for him consistently?

• TedSpe said, on February 18, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Posey

• xootsuit said, on February 18, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Wait, you mean: Buster comes set, glares at the ump’s right knee and fires his FB there. Then he speeds to the plate, crouches, and catches the pitch after it crosses the corner. “Steeeeeeee RIKE THREE!”

• xootsuit said, on February 18, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Hey, I’m in the process of getting back into shape right now. (My kid wants to learn to surf. I’d like to be able to use the boards I already own.) % wise (14%), I’ll probably lose more than Pablo did.

Oh, wait. You were only addressing the boobs. Sorry.

29. Sportdude said, on February 18, 2011 at 6:33 pm

If Lincecum gets hurt who could…Re Wilson you wouldn’t have someone step in, same for pujols, Timmy, Texiexra etc. Stars are not replaceable. Why worry about it?

Twin I rec’d the computer for the runs scored in NLCS…It it light years better than the one I had!!!

30. snarkk said, on February 18, 2011 at 7:17 pm

The only thing that can stop SF from contending for at least the division title is a long term injury to a key starter, be it a pitcher or hitter. Timmy, Cain, Huff, Franchez, Torres. They’ve avoided the injury bug to a key player pretty much the last coupla years. If Huff, Belt maybe steps in. Franchez? Fontenot a considerable downgrade. Torres? Nobody has his skills and speed. Timmy or Cain? Would need to make a trade. Not sure if a third year straight relatively injury free will be possible, but hope so…

31. twinfan said, on February 18, 2011 at 7:30 pm

OK -BLade is also tied, Dude is not eligible, he forgot one player…and he opted out anyway.Dog gave me his tiebreaker.Need one from Blade and Ghead.First Cactus League HR.

32. Nipper said, on February 18, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Pujols will play but not here. St. Louis will work something out. My intuits.

• TedSpe said, on February 18, 2011 at 8:42 pm

SHUT THE FUCK UP SOPH!!!!!
      And, please…leave

• TedSpe said, on February 18, 2011 at 8:45 pm

No really.
      Leave fuckhead

• ewisco said, on February 18, 2011 at 9:14 pm

did i miss something?

maybe, just ignore the bitch (or dude whatever).

• Nipper said, on February 19, 2011 at 5:26 am

How about a statue for Ted Spe? With his passion and temper, I think it would be a winner! Make it voice activated. Get too close and some choice words will spring forth. Yes!

• xootsuit said, on February 18, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I can do without the fucking intuits, too.

33. Rough Trade said, on February 18, 2011 at 8:31 pm

SF has been rumored in on ARod, CC, Bay, Holladay, Jeter, Fielder…Ever since they signed Zits and Rowand, the G’ have been considered a possible player for the big ticket guys. But that was then. Nevertheless, the online media will continue to throw unsubstantiated shit out there because it gets people clicking.

34. Sportdude said, on February 18, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Hi all,

would have dropped anyway even if i won…. Good luck dog, blade, ghead….

35. Nipper said, on February 19, 2011 at 5:30 am

Goodluck and good night.

36. dirtnrocksnreno said, on February 19, 2011 at 7:47 am

I’ve seen that yellow spoiler before. Repeat appearance?

37. Wiltrud said, on February 20, 2011 at 9:21 am

Greetings I found your site by mistake when i searched Google for this matter, I have to tell you your website is truly valuable I also love the layout, it is amazing!