A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The Whiteside Dilemma

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 19, 2011

I just loved the articles about Eli Whiteside’s injured arm. And the bloggers that are wringing their hands with worry! I guess it took a minor injury for this guy to finally get some press. Look, replacing the worst back up catcher in the league is a piece of cake: just plug ANYONE ELSE in there. The only worse back up catchers in the world are all currently holding down jobs with  the Giants minor league teams. How’d you like to be one of those guys? “Dude, we can’t even get ahead of Eli Whiteside.” Talk about time for a career change…..

I know it’s not being considered, but now that Pablo is back in shape why couldn’t he take some practice time behind the dish and be our emergency catcher? If his catching skills haven’t eroded completely he could be a fine back up to Posey and a great contingency plan if Posey ever missed a significant amount of time. But that’s getting ahead of ourselves. Let’s see how Pablo handles a bat at the whispy 240 he checked in with yesterday. I hope he uses an Andres Torres bat, otherwise he might just get swept away by a strong breeze……

1. snarkk said, on February 19, 2011 at 10:51 am

Pablo slimmed down at 240 shows just how far over the fitness edge he was last year. What is he, 5’10, at best? If you had the office pool at around 275 before the Jenny Craig, I guess you win. No wonder he couldn’t field well, he probably could barely bend over to tie his cleats at that weight. I’d say he’s got to lose some more during ST…

2. Flavor said, on February 19, 2011 at 11:07 am

He doesn’t need to lose any more weight. 240 is no big deal for an athlete. They carry a lot more muscle than regular people. He looks great, I hope he keeps the weight off. It IS troubling that he was allowed to get that out of control last season. I would think that Bochy or someone would sit him down and say, “dude, come on, this is ridiculous.”

• snarkk said, on February 19, 2011 at 11:27 am

I like Pablo. He’s a good kid, apparently. And he has skills. So, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for ballooning last year with the divorce, etc. He’s young. But, I have to agree that it is strange that on a ML club with all the fitness help available, he was allowed to blow up like that. Hopefully, the law has been laid down and he’s got his head back on straight. Being a pro athlete with at least some workouts essentially every day including games and cage hitting, and a world class gym in the clubhouse, with those calories burning off, he had to have packed in an unbelievable amount of daily calories to get where he was…

• zumarust said, on February 19, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Pablo’s talent always used to overrule everything else, and last year was the first time the talent wavered. The Giants are still trying to figure out what they have with Pablo. They may have thought they had a new Prince Fielder on their hands, but that hasn’t panned out. So, the weight is what gets looked at first. And apparently there’s vision problems, and he went through a divorce….
        The great thing about sports is the next season is a new slate, with a whole new story waiting to be written. Hopefully, Pablo has a real nice season for the Giants in ’11, and establishes himself as a dependable piece of the Giants’ future.

3. zumarust said, on February 19, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I still remember TF last season calling Whiteside’s career: Whiteside’s “career.” Man, those quotation marks were COLD, dude! (grin)

4. Rough Trade said, on February 19, 2011 at 1:25 pm

If Pablo sticks to lean protein, low carb, veges, fruit, he can eat plenty and stay slim.
    And I think he will as long as things go well on the field. If he still struggles and were to get benched or sent down, then I’d2 start to worry.

Funny that Eli remains a hot topic. I guess it’s good news when that’s all people have to worry about. Sabes could be waiting until teams make their cuts. Or they are satisfied with Eli’s overall play. He did improve his OPS last yr 90 pts. And they don’t come any cheaper.

5. Rough Trade said, on February 19, 2011 at 1:34 pm

“slim” being relative.

6. Billy mays said, on February 19, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I’m all for palo catching a game or 2 a week with derosa being healthy and able to play 3rd. Also fontenot can play 3rd if need be so I say so long whitey , j sanch no longer needs a personal catcher

• UsedtobebigSarge said, on February 19, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Ok, so whitey is not the most accomplished hitter. He handles the staff well enough. What’s really so bad about having him as the back up. being able to handle the staff is not something that can be over looked

7. Nipper said, on February 19, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Pablo will come back strong. Just another intuit.

• Bozo said, on February 19, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Ahh, Nipperella, nice of you to climb out of your van, shed your soph persona and give another stunning analogy. Chomp, Burp, Bleep, trade Lowry, DH for the NL, move in the fences, crack open another cheep cold one. Just as fucking brilliant as ever. I hope you and your “dorm mate”, have a good night.

8. Nipper said, on February 19, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Whiteside should be respected for what he can do not for what he can’t.

9. Rough Trade said, on February 19, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Yeah, let’s fuck up Pablo even more by throwing him behind the plate once a week. As if he doesn’t have enough to think about trying to become a solid 3b and return to hitting .330.

10. xootsuit said, on February 19, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Whitesides injury is great luck. Minor as it may seem if he gets a sore arm a few days after showing up he’s not reliable. They’ll be looking at options now.

11. Flavor said, on February 19, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I don’t think it would fuck Pablo up to have him catch a game a week, more if Posey went down. The dude caught his whole life, he’s got the skillset, he just needs to tune it up. Now that he’s not such a big fat fuck anymore, I think it would be a fairly smooth transition…….

12. Flavor said, on February 19, 2011 at 3:29 pm

if anything, catching comes MORE naturally to him than 3rd or 1st……

13. sinceseventy8 said, on February 19, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Pablo could easily be the backup C. The worst thing you can do is baby a major league player. The Yankees all but destroyed Joba by treating him like he was made of glass (just an example.) Having Pablo as the backup C would improve the whole team. An already versatile line-up would become more versatile by shifting around DeRosa, Tejada & Fontenot into the 3B slot while Pablo catches. Plus it would open up a roster spot for Adrianza, Burriss, Peguero, Ford or Neal, whoever earned the spot in ST. God knows we could use more speed.

• Rough Trade said, on February 19, 2011 at 7:30 pm

“The worst thing you can do is baby a major league player.”

It must be killing you they held Wilson out for a couple of days with a ‘minute’ back problem.Yeah, fuck it. Get Freddie Sanchez and DeRosa out there playing 9 full NOW. Let’s toughen those goddamn pussies up.

And fuck this 5 man rotation shit. Get rid of Zito and the rest can throw every 4th day. And no days off. Play Intrasquad games. Pablo can get some added work in behind the plate. That will keep the weight off.

• sinceseventy8 said, on February 20, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I think you might have some anger issues you might want to look into. Either that or you are oversensitive. Enjoy the season, dick.

14. Ih1978 said, on February 19, 2011 at 4:45 pm

5’10-11 weighiing 240? Cmon, this is not optimal conditioning. It just looks that way because he was so fat last year. He needs to be between 190-220 with much more lean muscle. This gives some room for weight gain/loss during the season and increases durability over the long schedule

• TedSpe said, on February 19, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Well, if this is where the conversation is going, I say the Giants sign Valerie Bertinelli. Helluva bunter

15. TedSpe said, on February 19, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Best…bikini babe…ever

16. zumarust said, on February 19, 2011 at 4:55 pm

The Whiteside topic is an issue because of what Bochy said in the Chronicle today, that he didn’t plan to have Posey play firstbase on any of his off-days from catching. And he wants to give Posey about 25 games off from catching during the season. Yikes.
    —-
    Professional paid sportswriter Bruce Jenkins thinks Cain should be the #2 starter, so that Cain pitches the home-opener, you see, because Jenkins can’t fathom that the Giants have other BETTER lefthanded starting pitching options to take the #2 spot than Zito. Wow. That’s some great insight.

• TedSpe said, on February 19, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I read that as well, zum. I took it in a little different context than you but it read odd as well. Sort of, #2 had to be either Cain or Zito?
      Huh.
      Of course, during the end of last season, Zito *was* beginning to look like #2.
      If you know what I mean.

• Bozo said, on February 19, 2011 at 9:24 pm

zum – I think Jenkins has gotten to the point of evaluating players by their availability for interviews,

17. TedSpe said, on February 19, 2011 at 5:24 pm

R.I.P. Ollie Matson

18. twinfan said, on February 19, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I’ve covered this-“handles the staff well” is code for “can’t hit a lick”…BTW, here are his folks. Vera is cheering Vern up by promising an extra porton of her famous lard dumplings…
    farmers

• zumarust said, on February 19, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Vera’s giving Vern a “come hither” look.

19. Flavor said, on February 19, 2011 at 8:35 pm

you guys who hold athletes to normal people weight standards are missing some things. Professional athletes, in general, weigh more because muscle weighs more than fat. It’s that simple. And their bodies are just built differently. Go take a look at the forearms of a major leaguer and compare them to people you know. Pablo is FINE at 240. He just wasn’t fine at 278; as everyone knew……..
    ‘since78, tell me again how you came to follow this team with so much passion. You have said it before I think, but I missed it.

20. Nipper said, on February 20, 2011 at 8:48 am

Anyone working out with small hand held weights? I started with 3lbs in each hand walking for three miles. Now trying 8 lbs around the house. Seems little but my arms feel stronger with these.

21. Nipper said, on February 20, 2011 at 8:55 am

As for Pablo, no to any back-up role as a catcher. Use your intuits.

22. Nipper said, on February 20, 2011 at 8:57 am

BF’s taste in the babe pics has improved. Very nice indeed.

23. Flavor said, on February 20, 2011 at 9:15 am

haha, I was wondering who would appreciate this “next door MILF” and who would shake their head and call me crazy. I’m trying to meet the varied tastes of all the Flappers, a difficult task indeed……

24. twinfan said, on February 20, 2011 at 9:50 am

I’m partial to the “educated trailer trash” look. Trailer is optional…however, now that my targets call me “Pops”, I may have to adapt to the changing circumstances. The Vera look is out, perhaps Beatty’s wife will do…
    which reminds me, I jokingly asked Mick LaSalle’s wife to dinner once ( on his blog)…he had a cow over it…

25. twinfan said, on February 20, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Apologies to Xoot, Chuck, Sandy, Ted, Paul, and Ed…I found messages from you in my discharge folder. i have no idea why I never got your calls or even the messages. Thank you all ( others I did speak to at the rehab facility)…