A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

What Our Left Field Spot Should Look Like in 2011

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 21, 2011

Chris Haft wrote an mlb.com article essentially saying that, according to Bochy,  it’s a four-way competition for the left field spot. It really should be 5, there’s no reason in the world for Bochy to limit Rowand to CF, in fact as he’s aged, a corner spot is likely better for him anyway. But Boch says Rowand is CF-or-bench so……

The four official contenders for LF are…..drum roll please…….Huff, DeRosa, Burrell and Schierholtz. I’m taking Huff off the list since I think there’s a 93.693% chance that Belt starts the season in AAA. I’m also taking DeRosa off the list because he’s simply going to be too valuable as a super-utility guy. He’s going to spend plenty of time filling in at 3rd/SS/and 2nd base. Book it……

So now we are down to two candidates and that really should be the end of the competition. The BEST option for us in LF is for Burrell to start and get 3 or 4 at bats with Schierholtz coming in as a defensive replacement in the 8th inning. I have 100% confidence in Pat Burrell. The World Series debacle was nothing more than a random 15 at bat rut that anyone could fall into. Who knows, maybe he just can’t hit American League pitching—the stats support that, too.

And, it’s my birthday today, so let the b-day wishes flow as freely as a twig on the shoulders of a mighty stream……

1. ewisco said, on February 21, 2011 at 7:48 am

Then let me be the first: Happy Birthday Mr. Flavor!!

2. twinfan said, on February 21, 2011 at 8:05 am

I can absolutely foresee Burrell and Huff sharing LF and I think that’s the best option even without Belt. I don’t rule out Travis getting another shot. So with a LHer you get Pat in left, Huff at first. With a RHer, Huff in left, Travis or Belt at first.
    From the last thread, on Rowand:
    “I really think they must be close to just eating Rowand’s contract. Yes, I know it would be unprecedented for them, but what’s the diff, really, between paying him to sit and releasing him? I’m sure they are trying for a bad contract swap but if that fails, I don’t rule out a release, if DeRosa shows he’s healthy. Ross can play center if Torres is hurt…Torres, Burrell, Ross, Nate, DeRosa is a good 5,”
    with Huff a good 6…no reason, just gut says Nate has a good year at the plate…but not in LF..
    The beauty of this team is once again the versatilty.Bochy can go with those LUs everybody hates because he has the boidies to make it work….
    Happy Birthday, Craig.

3. Bozo said, on February 21, 2011 at 8:10 am

Happy birthday Flav. I hope you have the day off and get to rip it up.

Speaking of fun that last BB sure looked like a fun day at the beach. Although, this group looks like a party waiting to happen.

I don’t mind if they just think of Rowand in center, Torres can play the corners if needed. The sad thing to me about Rowand is he let the Park get in his head. The guy would probably thrive someplace like Chicago or Houston. He probably would like to get moved but he out contracted himself. My guess is that, if the players union would allow it, he would change his contract to be more trade friendly. The Giants would probably eat some of the contract but I don’t see them just cutting the guy.
    I agree about Belt not breaking camp with the team. Injury or trade may get him a call up but I bet the plan right now is in September.

4. twinfan said, on February 21, 2011 at 8:36 am

Blade and Dog have their tiebreakers in, need GHead’s…

5. Nipper said, on February 21, 2011 at 9:05 am

Sabean will get rid of Rowand one way or the other. He’s done this in the past with players that don’t fit. Benching Rowand is not an option. For his sake and the Giants he has to be moved.

• Rough Trade said, on February 21, 2011 at 9:28 am

He dumped Morris, Benitez, Durham, but of course, each was owed a lot less. And in the case of Morris, he found a sucker in Pitts. Hard to say what will happen, but agree with Twinfan, not out of the question.
      If he was, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him playing for the Dodgers. Colletti has a thing for former G’s.

Enjoy the Birthday, Flavor. Tracks are open!

6. Kevin said, on February 21, 2011 at 9:10 am

Happy Birthday BF, it is also my brothers birthday. Giving him a call later today

7. xootsuit said, on February 21, 2011 at 9:18 am

Happy bday, BF. I agree on Belt: if everyone else in the mix is healthy, Belt’ll start the season in AAA. Posey can give him the lowdown on El Hotel Fresno, and on how nice it is to get the fuck out of that town once the summer sun starts blazing full tilt. If he has a good Spring, he’ll be ready to join the team during the season.

At the other end of the spectrum sits Suppan. I guess every ST needs a vet who once, at least for a season or two, rode high but is now near the end, struggling to make a team, any team. Henry’s little article on him yesterday was somewhat encouraging. He probably peaked with St Louis 5 years ago and that’s it. But maybe not. The guy has been a winner, and the disc problem that messed him up the past two seasons was in his neck, not in his back. I wonder if they’ll have room for a long reliever in the BP, though, even if he does look ok.

8. Flavor said, on February 21, 2011 at 9:33 am

as many of you know, I follow the Yankees closely. Katie’s grandpa is a lifelong fan who I get in fairly heated debates with. We just hammered out the Yankee’s starting pitching dilemma. Man, the Yankees are just totally fucked this year. They just offered Millwood a minor league deal that he predictably turned down. Dumb move by the Yankees. Millwood isn’t any great shakes but he could at least eat innings for them. The Yankees have CC Sathathia, Phil Hughes and then…..nothing. Burnett? Ha. In between 7 ER outings, he’s ok I guess. Katie’s g-dad thinks the #4 is going to be a guy named Nova who had like 20 mlb innings pitched last year. The #5 could be anyone or anything.

9. stixwiz said, on February 21, 2011 at 9:49 am

One reason why a certain catcher with the initials of A.J. didn’t like playing for the Giants was that the team had already adopted the versatility policy and no way was that guy ready to wanna play at first base or something. That policy may have bit the team in the ass back in the day, but it sure as hell payed off in 2010 as there were no position breakdowns the Giants could not surmount. The seasonwide segue amongst Sandoval, Uribe and Renteria was full testimony to that. So was the “luxury” of Nate and Ishi as late-inning defensive replacements. Also worth mentioning was Posey’s ability to play First when he initially came up, allowing for the team to ease Grand Tetons over to Texas.

Happy Birthday, Craig. With such a strategically placed date, have you often considered running for President? Well, you are on the Flap, anyway.

• Bozo said, on February 21, 2011 at 11:38 am

stix, I agree about the versatility policy working well for the Giants. Drives me nuts when some folks over on the splash talk about holes in the line-up. With players being able to play multiple positions I don’t see any real “holes”.
      Also, the people that complain about no big bats, hell you’ve got 5 guys that could hit 20 jacks and another 3 guys that you could get 10 to 15 from. With our SP and RP, I like those numbers.

10. Flavor said, on February 21, 2011 at 9:50 am

$200,000,000 gets you Sabathia, Hughes, Burnett, Nova and….?
    That’s pathetic. Hey, 4 mil is going to Kei Igawa in 2011, I suppose they could see if he could be plugged into the #5, lol……..
    If ZIto is our biggest worry, that’s not that much to worry about when compared to other contending teams……..

11. ewisco said, on February 21, 2011 at 10:24 am

but this is where i can’t figure out why the yankees aren’t sniffing around zito.

12. Mega Flavor said, on February 21, 2011 at 10:27 am

Millwood would give them about the same as zito and all they offered him was a minor lg deal. Why would they take on the rest of barry’s contract?

13. zumarust said, on February 21, 2011 at 10:27 am

Happy birthday, dude!
    —-
    I just clicked through the SFGate’s Sports section Giants Spring Training photo gallery. All those photos really bring home the reality of the new season approaching.
    —-
    It’ll be interesting to see what kind of season Huff has. We all have our choices for team MVP of ’10, and Huff was my choice. A repeat of his performance last season would be huge for the Giants.

14. snarkk said, on February 21, 2011 at 10:47 am

Happy BD, BF. While we celebrate that, nice to hear Rent was misquoted, this time in the Merc, for a second time as feeling disrespected by the Giants on the $1M initial offer. No, in fact he confirmed the earlier statement with a few more choice words about wounded pride. Amazing how this guy gets misquoted or mistranslated so often. One cheer for him first time up as the Reds come in. Then let the boobirds do their thing. If you want a schematic on how to recover fan’s hearts in one series, or even in one swing, then lose it just as fast by saying stupid things in the middle of a historically horrible economy, just look under “Rent” in the player handbook…

15. snarkk said, on February 21, 2011 at 11:05 am

Check out photo #2 in this slide array. Panda showing off his svelte figure. Classic. http://tinyurl.com/67sjtml
    A few more photos later, he’s still got a pretty good gut going on, but he’s lookin’ way better than last October, so he deserves credit for the work…

16. Macdog said, on February 21, 2011 at 11:53 am

Happy birthday, Flav!

Yeah, it’s gonna be fun watching the Yanks piece together the back end of their rotation. One of the NYC sports radio guys is convinced they’re gonna use their highly touted prospects to trade mid-season for a stud pitcher, although who that’ll be is anyone’s guess. After the Lee rejection, they’re still working on Plans B, C and D.

17. eddacker415 said, on February 21, 2011 at 1:39 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CRAIG
    Many happy returns.
    sports, work, dad, blogger, whatever, today you should just pause for a second and look forward to a great year, dude, let it flow like a river my man.

18. Billy mays said, on February 21, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I hope it’s Burrell , he was bad ass for us at times last year and for being a terrible fielder he was solid with the glove (minus that big error against the dodgers In that one day game last year )

19. eddacker415 said, on February 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I am really enjoying spring training because there is so much news that makes it all the way back here. How many times this season will I know what car BW is driving or see photos of pre-game workouts? It sometimes is the little things that count and I love seeing/hearing all the bits and pieces that spring training gives, but gets lost in the news overload during the season.

So many things to look forward to this time of year! I remember when they picked up Rags as a coach. I could not believe our luck. “the giants finally did something right”, I remember thinking then.

After 2010 it almost feels like a whole new team (with all the old Giants vibe) and the spring training promises of great possibilities to come. the WS win gave me a whole new understanding about what it means to be a winner.

The only way this season could be filled with any more anticipation would be if I lived in the BA and had season tickets. Which I would have because between my family, my friends and myself (along with scalping a few at the park) they would all be used.

there’s magic inside, Humm, baby, ya gotta believe; it’s all real and all good now.

Russ Hodges, Lon Simmons, Hank Greenwald, Jon Miller all echo in my ears as I wait for the sounds of the game to begin again.
    Kuip, Kruk, Jon and Dave: GAME ON

20. Mega Flavor said, on February 21, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Don’t forget Lindsey nelson, Ron fairly and al michael’s! Who else am I missing????

21. ewisco said, on February 21, 2011 at 3:08 pm

is anyone really missing ron fairly? what about steve physioc?

• xootsuit said, on February 21, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Back when it happened Chron writer and Giants fan Jon Carroll said hiring Fairly after letting Hank Greenwald go was “replacing Pavarotti with Howdy Doody.” He was right.

And what about Joe Angel? (Remember him? Boy did Jon Miller do him a favor, getting him a gig for a short time) Angel was so loud and empty it’s hard to remember how bad he was: he didn’t fuck everything up the way Fairly did with his “Fairliyisms” (“You just keep gettin those great big hits and runnin all around the bases and you’ll be fine”), he didn’t overreach in a smarmy and arrogant way like Greg Papa (‘the Giants bullpen is sprinkled with arms this year”), he didn’t constantly compare his own irrelevant career experience with the real stars on the rield like FP (you know what I mean) — Joe Angel just did nothing. He was like the shell of an announcer, full of voice and energy, waiting for content to arrive.

22. Mega Flavor said, on February 21, 2011 at 3:16 pm

The fizz! Sure why not. In the spirit of Edds post, I miss them all. I can hear all of them singing happy birthday to me as I type this

23. snarkk said, on February 21, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Bill Thompson, David Glass, Art Eckman (“ground hugger to short”), Joe Angel; brings back memories, sorta ….

24. snarkk said, on February 21, 2011 at 3:24 pm

“Boch” on KNBR right now….

25. Billy mays said, on February 21, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Bochy sure does like them French fried taters

26. eddacker415 said, on February 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Those were the voices that have stayed with me over the years; sure I remember most of the others, but not in that way.
    ONE BIG ONE I did forget and I will always respect him for it was:
    Bill King
    a short time with the Giants, but warriors and raiders games were great.

27. Flavor said, on February 21, 2011 at 5:47 pm

King did the Giants? I had no idea…..
    Over at the Splash they are worrying about Wilson’s trip to visit Charlie Sheen to discuss business. TMZ is a joke; just reporting shit and spinning it however they want to without checking out any of the facts.
    Does anyone care one whit that Brian Wilson talked to some producers for an evening about baseball? He’s not even training right now. And certainly it didn’t harm him to do this on a Friday night– a night when you KNOW at least some of the players were out partying…….

• Billy mays said, on February 21, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Yea it’s not s big deal , I mean cmon Rick Vaughn just needed some tips on throwing strikes and b Willie is a master

28. Bozo said, on February 21, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Private jet, I’m there. I don’t give a rat’s ass what someone wants to talk to me about, I’d go. Oh yeah, I’d also do the Adam Sandler thing from Mr. Deeds, “Ground Control to Major Tom”. I guess he was in a private helicopter, but still…

29. twinfan said, on February 21, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Wayne Hagin once cold-cocked a player in the clubhouse- I can’t find anything about it- but I’m positive it happened . Anyone remember the details?
    Greenwald is still my favorite- no one captured the ambience of the game as well as Hank ..

30. Flavor said, on February 21, 2011 at 6:16 pm

and I was definitely leery of all of Wilson’s promo-shit from the off season. I just don’t like that rag-mag TMZ calling it a *party* and trying to make Sheen/Wilson/etc look bad. Now, if he starts partying with A-listers after every game, then I’ll change my tune.
    But I seem to remember that Wilson doesn’t drink during the season. Distant memory, but that’s what I recall. He’s a weirdo, to be sure. I bet he and Sheen could entertain eachother just sitting in an airport waiting for their flight to leave.
    Bee-Weezy can do pretty much whatever the fuck he wants to do as long as he closes 40+ games a year…….

31. Flavor said, on February 21, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I go with Greenwald over Miller, too. By a whisker. Lots of guys a long way back in third place……

32. Pawl de Kokonuts said, on February 21, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Friday at the Philly airport, guy notices my green and orange SF hat and then my black and orange GIANTS shirt, catches my eye, and we strike up a BASKING conversation, followed by catching a guy on the plane to Miami wearing a 2010 WORLD CHAMPS hat: reprise. Plus, on Cayman Brac, anytime I catch one of the local kids wearing a Yankees, or Red Sox hat (they prob. don’t even know they are baseball teams) I lecture them that WE ARE THE WORLD CHAMPS, BRO. Anyway, Magnus, happiest of happy birthdays to you from the Cayman Islands.

• snarrk said, on February 21, 2011 at 6:42 pm

From Cayman Brac, “basking” takes on a whole new meaning…

• Billy said, on February 21, 2011 at 7:49 pm

That is awesome.

33. snarrk said, on February 21, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Wilson is a bit of a loon, but he gets slack until/unless he starts coughing up saves on a regular basis. Still, going to see Charlie Sheen is nearing the lunatic fringe of associations. Sheen has made an ass of himself as well as engaged in some minor criminal activity on a regular basis; I don’t see any positive in being associated with him, even for an evening…

34. DJLoo said, on February 21, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Greenwald did the Yanks for a short time, and was not especially well received. Nelson was Mets through and through (as far as I know) and Fairly was 100% Dodger. Fairly was particularly outspoken about Marichal after the Roseboro incident.

35. Flavor said, on February 21, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I distinctly remember Fairly going on long rants about how bad weight lifting was for a baseball player– too funny.

36. snarrk said, on February 21, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Greenwald was OK. After a few innings, he tended to start sounding to me like a scratchy record, and too much of a montone droning on during a less than exciting game. Yeah, his ability to spin some yarns wasn’t bad. But, I didn’t cry when he left. His kid is the same, only with less pizzaz…

37. DJLoo said, on February 21, 2011 at 6:51 pm

The Dodgers were hoping to replace Fairly with a highly touted OF named Fairey (really). Didn’t work out, but in one of those strange baseball stats, out of Fairey’s 7 lifetime homers, he hit 2 off Seaver, and one each off Marichal, Perry and Jenkins.

• James said, on February 21, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I remember Jim Fairey’s Strat-O-Matic card (or was it a 3-D card from a box of Corn Flakes?)

38. twinfan said, on February 21, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Fairly was an an abomination, Glass even worse. I can see why Snarkk didn’t particularly like Hank- too mellow.
    BTW- it is not the announcers job to put lipstick on the pigs- a boring game should sound boring…

39. snarkk said, on February 21, 2011 at 7:36 pm

“Mellow” for Hank is a bit of an understatement. I’m not looking for Sterlingesque game calls, but something to keep me from nodding off. I swear tapes of some of Hank’s game calls could be used for insomnia. Of those I heard and remember, I’d go radio top 5 of Miller, Lon, Michaels, Greenwald, Robinson. Bottom: McCarver, Eckman, Nelson, Hagin, Fairly…

40. Billy said, on February 21, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Happy Birthday Flav. Looks like carmelo anothony is knick – not that I or anyone else here cares, but, looks like the warriors gave up a first round pick in the transaction. Why are the warriors giving up draft picks? The draft is the only hope they have.

41. twinfan said, on February 21, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I ‘m in the minority, I liked Nelson and found Lon extremely annoying.Maybe that was a carry over fom his football work, Lon was awful on football.

42. sj_news_reader said, on February 21, 2011 at 8:02 pm

happy birthday mr.oneflapdown! Hey, any chance you can make it so we can click on the bikini babes and see a larger version of the pic?

43. Flavor said, on February 21, 2011 at 8:03 pm

if you guys are facebook friends with me, go take a lot at what Katie’s mom gave me today for a birthday present. I’m blown away. I’ll post it tomorrow here.

• DJLoo said, on February 21, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Her new address in Siberia?

• Billy said, on February 21, 2011 at 8:08 pm

thats killer. it must be worn to every game you attend this year.