A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

What are the Chances of Rowand Getting Outright Released?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 24, 2011

The Warriors gave me some hope that Rowand might actually get released. After that absurd trade they pulled off yesterday for Troy Murphy’s expiring contract, I was surprised to read that on January 7th the Nets informed Murphy to stay home and wait to get traded or released. I don’t know the circumstances, as far I as I know he’s not injured. And Murphy has never been a clubhouse problem. And he’s making 12 million dollars this year. Why wouldn’t the Giants just do the same thing? Or a better question would be, would they even consider doing it? I’ll be disappointed if they trade Schierholtz, a player with redeemable value, and keep Rowand.

The Giants are making a TON of money off their World Series win, as they should for such a stellar accomplishment. They can afford to eat the rest of Rowand’s contract and just send him home to his batting cage……

1. Giant Head said, on February 24, 2011 at 6:39 am

Murphy has been hurt basically the whole year. I will be shocked if the Warriors can move him today, so he will get released. How any of this benefits the Warriors much is beyond me.

Unless we get a deal to get an Ibanez or some other expiring contract, Rowans will be getting a couple of starts in CF a week…

2. Unca Chuck said, on February 24, 2011 at 6:47 am

Zip, Flav. This ISN’T the NBA. Just because the team won it all, and saw a jump in season ticket sales, etc. doesn’t mean they dump him. He’ll just continue his role as the world’s most expensive backup. He did have a couple productive stretches last year.

I tell you though, his saying CF or nothing is pretty cheap-ass on his part. That isn’t very gamer of him . . .

• Nipper said, on February 24, 2011 at 8:23 am

He’s gone. Sabean will not tolerate this type of bench player. He wants versatility not a guy that can play only CF! Oh BLEEP IT!

3. Unca Chuck said, on February 24, 2011 at 6:48 am

If the question was ‘what do I think they should do’, my answer would have been different.

• Nipper said, on February 24, 2011 at 8:24 am

The answer is BLEEP!

4. Flavor said, on February 24, 2011 at 7:18 am

I don’t think Rowand said that about himself, I think that’s what Bochy said about him. And it’s dumb, as he gets older and loses range he’s going to need to move to a corner OF spot. Or just retire.
    GH– I wasn’t aware that Murph was hurt. I still don’t understand why the W’s did that trade. To save 2 mil? And get a worthless 2nd rd pick? Stupid. Wright is going to be a decent player in this league……

• Nipper said, on February 24, 2011 at 8:25 am

Warriors, watch and weep!

5. xootsuit said, on February 24, 2011 at 7:34 am

7’1″, throws 99 — this year’s Strasburg? If the Angels call him up, maybe he’ll draw a crowd to the Coliseum.

“Ludovicus Jacobus Maria van Mil grew up in the small industrial town of Oss in south Holland, his family big in the slaughterhouse industry . . . .” Yeah, the guy’s a beast.

Zito and Rowand and the Barry Bonds trial coming up in 3 weeks: the down side of Peter Magowan’s legacy. But . . . the ballpark. And 2000-2003. Some of the up side.

• Nipper said, on February 24, 2011 at 8:26 am

Lets get a statue for Peter M! Question is where do you locate it?

6. twinfan said, on February 24, 2011 at 7:57 am

If Rowand ever said he’d only play center, I haven’t heard it. At any rate, if DeRosa is healthy, I don’t rule out an outright release if they can’t swing a deal. As I posted the other day,if you can pay him what we’ll now call “Murphy Money” to sit, you can pay him to go away. The caveat is that when he does hit, he is very productive, he’s no Punch and Judy guy.. he could put up some good numbers in the right place…

7. Unca Chuck said, on February 24, 2011 at 8:16 am

The thing is, the Dubs haver traded a boatload of picks away in recent years. They want to get some back.

• Nipper said, on February 24, 2011 at 11:28 am

It’s a bleep’in disgrace!

8. zumarust said, on February 24, 2011 at 8:25 am

Tough break for the Cardinals, with the Wainwright injury. Changes the balance of power in the NL Central a little more. I’m still a bit skeptical about the Brewers for some reason, though. A lot of the pundits are picking them to win the division, but that’s totally based on how they look on paper. We’ll see how that translates to actual games.

9. zumarust said, on February 24, 2011 at 8:27 am

I haven’t seen the Warrriors much this season. The sports package that I have on DirectTV dropped the Warriors and added the Sac Kings this season. Basically, one of those “6 of one, half dozen of the other” type of things.

10. zumarust said, on February 24, 2011 at 8:30 am

Nice interview with the Cainer on KNBR this morning. So cool having that dude on the Giants.

• eddacker415 said, on February 24, 2011 at 12:27 pm

We love Cain
      and, yeah, tough break for the Cards – Wainwright and the Pujols thing. I think many saw Pujols as the ‘cardinal for life’ and didn’t think this blip would turn into a distraction.

11. Macdog said, on February 24, 2011 at 8:42 am

I hope I’m wrong, but I just don’t see the Giants trading Rowand if it means having to eat most of that contract. Maybe next year.

Murphy was hurt in preseason, but he’d been healthy of late. He hasn’t been playing because he was stuck behind Favors, who needed to play for obvious reasons, and Kris Humphries, who’s not too bad coming off the bench. And Avery Johnson found out early on, if he didn’t already know, that Murphy plays absolutely no defense.

So, is Wright any good?

12. Bozo said, on February 24, 2011 at 8:53 am

On Rowand, I have to keep reminding myself that he made that catch for Dirty’s no-no. Yes, he’s an expensive role player and I agree he should be playing the corners, that makes more sense to me than Nate playing center. But, I’d rather keep him then cut him outright. I agree with twin that he’d probably do well in another park and I would be worried he’d become this year’s Burrell for another team if we cut him. I know it’s a risk even in a trade, but to pay the guy his full salary and watch him come up against us, I just don’t like that scenario. If he was cut, I’d imagine the Phils and Dodgers would show some interest.
    Now if a trade could be worked out with the Yanks, White Sox or maybe even Houston…

• Unca Chuck said, on February 24, 2011 at 9:34 am

Worrying about Rowand coming back to haunt the Giants is juuuuuuuust a little premature. Christ, he’s a haunting presence ON the Giants.

They won’t cut him. He’s strictly bench material unless someone goes down.

13. twinfan said, on February 24, 2011 at 9:02 am

First chance for LU bashing. Today’s intrasquad LU:
    LU

• zumarust said, on February 24, 2011 at 9:15 am

That would be a fun game to watch. All the prospects going at it.

• TedSpe said, on February 24, 2011 at 10:27 am

Where’s Gomez?

• eddacker415 said, on February 24, 2011 at 3:35 pm

from the Merc:
      Looks like the Lunatic Fringe is already in mid-season form. Bochy should get his Championship Ring fitted for his middle finger so he can show it off to all the lineup complainers.

14. zumarust said, on February 24, 2011 at 9:17 am

MLB network did an excellent show on the Top 50 prospects. It’ll probably repeat, as does all their programming. They had Belt at 26, I think. And Atlanta’s Freddie Freeman at 16. They had Bryce Harper at #3. I can’t remember who the top two were. Two players I’d never heard of.

15. snarkk said, on February 24, 2011 at 9:33 am

Wow, a veritable Rohandfest this morning. My view is that it makes no sense to be paying any position player $12M to sit on the bench, unless they’re on the DL, or it’s the NBA. I would think it is far better to eat 50% or even more of his contract, send him packing to a club/park where he can perform better, and open up his roster spot for a younger player that can help the club more. It is nonsense if they keep him for nothing but the odd start here and there, and send Sholtz packing, who is far better defensively, has more speed, has a cannon for an arm at any OF position, and may still have some offensive improvement. Even if Torres went down, I would way rather have Sholz in center than a declining Rohand glove and scattershot arm…

16. Unca Chuck said, on February 24, 2011 at 9:35 am

Snarkk if is comes down to Nate/Aaron, well, yeah, you go with Nate. But I don’t think it comes down to that.

17. TedSpe said, on February 24, 2011 at 9:36 am

second…best…BB…ever

• snarkk said, on February 24, 2011 at 9:43 am

Yeah BF, better BB today. Katie Price, former Sun page 3 girl, Brit version of Paris Hilton. If the ship goes down, hang on to her, she’ll float. But, can she bunt? Heard Darren Ford this morning on KNBR says he’s practicing his bunting a lot. Good move…

• Rough Trade said, on February 24, 2011 at 10:15 am

Uh, nice legs anyway.

18. Unca Chuck said, on February 24, 2011 at 9:37 am

Batting 6th, N-n-nnn-nnnn-nn-n-nnn-NOOOOOONAN!!!!

• Nipper said, on February 24, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Fascinating!

19. delmardennis said, on February 24, 2011 at 9:42 am

As per our GM: 1. Lincecum; 2. Sanchez; 3. Cain; 4. Zito; 5. Bumgarner

Thank Christ they didn’t insert Zito into the 2, I woulda bitched about for days on end.
    Our lineup still sucks, however.

• TedSpe said, on February 24, 2011 at 9:49 am

You’re disappointing me dennis.
      At least bitch about…oh, I don’t know…NO Whitey? C’mon!

• delmardennis said, on February 24, 2011 at 9:58 am

How is NO Whitey and his inflamed elbow? We could ill-afford to lose one of our aces like the Cards did with Wainwright to a bum elbow. I better say a rosary…

• TedSpe said, on February 24, 2011 at 10:02 am

20. Kevin said, on February 24, 2011 at 10:49 am

Sabes was on KNBR this morning and the Starting rotation is Tim, Sanchez, Cain, Zito, Madbum. now that could change between now and opening day but I kind of doubt it.

• Rough Trade said, on February 24, 2011 at 11:16 am

No surprises there. I keep hearing Bum will be optioned to Fresno because of off days. Sabes address that?

• snarkk said, on February 24, 2011 at 11:27 am

Yesterday, Bochy said it will not happen…

21. snarkk said, on February 24, 2011 at 11:04 am

Wainwright with what appears to be Tommy John deal is a big hit for the Cards. Goes to show how Giants have been fortunate with pitching arms the last couple of years. I’m crossing my fingers for this season…

22. TedSpe said, on February 24, 2011 at 11:20 am

According to Sabean on KNBR the starting rotation will be:
    Lincecum
    Sanchez
    Cain
    Zito
    Bumgarner

23. Billy mays said, on February 24, 2011 at 11:53 am

24. zumarust said, on February 24, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Is there any word yet on what the order of the starting rotation will be?

• eddacker415 said, on February 24, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I hear it is boy-girl-boy-girl-boy
      oh! buoy [in honour of today’s BB]

• xootsuit said, on February 24, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I hear it’s a mechanical military march (rt/lft rt/lft), with a radical turn at the end.

25. Unca Chuck said, on February 24, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Or GOP/Dem/GOP/Dem/Dem

26. Unca Chuck said, on February 24, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Not that I’m getting political . . .

27. DJLoo said, on February 24, 2011 at 3:43 pm

GMs never used to comment on rotations & lineups. They would assemble the team and leave it to the manager (at least publicly).

28. Unca Chuck said, on February 24, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I’m sure Sabes asked Bochy which way he was leaning . . .

29. Unca Chuck said, on February 24, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Anything to add about todays BB?

Beyond the fact that she has a promotional deal with Gillette?

30. Unca Chuck said, on February 24, 2011 at 3:47 pm

And that she can be used as a flotation devide?

31. Unca Chuck said, on February 24, 2011 at 3:48 pm

‘Major league yaboes . . .’

32. DJLoo said, on February 24, 2011 at 3:49 pm

She’s ugly.

• TedSpe said, on February 24, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Perhaps. So what?

• Billy mays said, on February 24, 2011 at 5:23 pm

That’s why she plays sports and isn’t a model

33. Flavor said, on February 24, 2011 at 5:25 pm

she’s hardly ugly. Not my taste, though. Her tits are too big for her body…….

• TedSpe said, on February 24, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Huh.
      Until you wrote that, I hadn’t even noticed her tits

34. Flavor said, on February 24, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Looks like Charlie Sheen is progressing smoothly along a homeostatic plane……..

35. dirtnrocksnreno said, on February 24, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Those things are just out of hand. So sad that women these days can’t just be happy with what nature gave them.

Speaking of augmentation surgery. That sucks for Wainwright. Maybe The Todd can fill the void.

36. twinfan said, on February 24, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Sorry to do this but this contest is cancelled- the system I was going to use was sold and it’s just too hard for me to build right now..

37. snarkk said, on February 24, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Here’s over a 100 years of SF Giants baseball.
    Good stuff…

38. snarkk said, on February 24, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Holy Smokes! Is this BW, or Methuselah rockin’ a uni and Just For Men?.,..

39. xootsuit said, on February 24, 2011 at 10:35 pm

So the size of the BB’s breasts and some links to sfgate ST coverage fill in here? TF posted two LU cards earlier today. What’s up with EVERY player in those LUs? Ok, maybe take a few, one per day, for a while. Maybe somebody here will do some research and post something interesting.