A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Play Ball. Finally.

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 26, 2011

I love watching worry-warts freak out about Spring Training results. These are clueless fans who don’t understand the game. The veterans could give less than 2 figs about scoring or statistical results right now. All they care about is crafting their routine and not getting injured. Spring training phenom’s are fun to talk about but they almost NEVER keep it going into the regular season. Luckily, we don’t have to worry about Bochy and Sabean getting “bowkered” into believing that a +.400 batting average youngster should make the roster. Even if Belt tears it up, I fully expect him to start the season in AAA, despite what management is saying. And that’s fine, let him sharpen his tools in AAA for a few months, we don’t need him AND if we can tease out another year of control over him, all the better…….

My apologies in advance to those who will likely be outraged at today’s BB–just tryin’ to toss a few bones to the outskirts of the blog……

1. twinfan said, on February 26, 2011 at 8:28 am

Well, we were all pretty in on Bowker. Too bad- he demonstrated he could lay off those back foot sliders- in AAA, alas. I remember his recall in 2009- he had ungodly numbers at Fresno, then he stepped off the plane and went after that very same pitch in his first AB. He wasn’t facing the Casey Daigles of the world anymore- almost everybody up here can pound that pitch repeatedly….
    I’ve called Belt a potential “Snow-Lite” but Belt is more highly regarded than any of the Bowker gang. I think the question is whether he’s a legit power guy or a, excuse me- Hillenbrand type..

2. eddacker415 said, on February 26, 2011 at 8:33 am

ya gotta love a BB with a giggle-smile

Flav-dead on about ST and trying to predict players. As much as I love it, ST means nothing after 5pm March 31.

I was really shocked to learn more about Baggs from the KNBR podcast; I think I like him as a sports writer. The writers assigned to a team from mlb seem OK as well. Think I will listen to my first game tonight. cool

3. Flavor said, on February 26, 2011 at 8:37 am

As I recall, we were all *in* on Bowker because he so clearly beat out Nate last Spring. Today, Nate is clearly the more valuable player. And depending on what Bowker does this Spring, he might never see the big leagues again. Too bad, he sure put a jolt into our team when he first arrived…….

4. Flavor said, on February 26, 2011 at 8:46 am

I’m a little suspicious about Romo’s new sinker pitch. Apparently, Affeldt showed him how to throw the pitch by just moving his finder slightly on the ball—I immediately thought of the Sly Stallone *epic*, “Over the Top” when I heard that.
    Anyway, sounds shady to me. Affeldt is just now getting around to talking with Romo about this? What the hell are those guys talking about in the bullpen all game long? I’d think “Hey dude, want me to show you this sick slider grip?” would have come up before last week……….

• snarkk said, on February 26, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I said repeatedly last season Romo was a one trick pony and needed another pitch to keep hitters honest. I don’t care if he learns one off of a bubblegum card, as long as he throws something other than the frisbee once in a while…

5. Dirtnrocksnreno said, on February 26, 2011 at 9:16 am

Yikes.

6. xootsuit said, on February 26, 2011 at 9:16 am

ST has a whole new feel to it when the team doesn’t have holes to fill. Fontenot, Rowand and Zito occupy an odd space. Their careers aren’t in danger, like Suppan’s. Obviously, all three will be on some team this year and for some years to come, but the Giants? Given the sizes of their contracts, of course, Fontenot may be the only one who’s movable.

Anybody know anything about Ehire Adrianza, beyond his speed on the bases? Doesn’t look like much of a hitter. You’d think a healthy Burriss would be a better prospect.

• xootsuit said, on February 26, 2011 at 9:30 am

btw, I don’t know who today’s BB is, but she looks like someone you might actually meet by a pool or at the beach. And I’m sure she’d look just fine up close.

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on February 26, 2011 at 9:32 am

I thought it was Celine Dion at first. I guess we’ll know once snarkk weighs in.

7. dirtnrocksnreno said, on February 26, 2011 at 9:28 am

xoot, I think so too. The only real question for the club this year is SS. Tejada will hit but his D is up to question. Who will back up the position? Burris played some short in the past, adds some speed and has some time in The Show. He may fall vicitm to the numbers game. I guess that brings us back to Rowand. Dude is both insurance for Torres and a giant suck hole of a roster spot.

8. Nipper said, on February 26, 2011 at 9:39 am

Only idiots sweat ST.

9. Macdog said, on February 26, 2011 at 10:10 am

Awfully nice of MLB to help out the poor ol’ Mets. Maybe the Giants can ask for $25M to offset the cost of getting rid of Rowand.

10. twinfan said, on February 26, 2011 at 10:33 am

Ehire is 21, I think. 5 years younger than Burriss. That’s a huge difference.He hasn’t hit much yet, but much better than Burriss did at San Jose. Unless Fruckie opens on the DL it might be tough for Burriss and certainly Adrianza to make the club.If the starters are Torres, Fruckie, Tejada, Pablo, Burrell, Posey, Ross, Huff- that leaves 5 spots: NOWhitey, Derosa, Fontenot, and two of Rowand, Nate, Ishi, Belt, Burriss.

11. macdog said, on February 26, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Brooks Conrad already has an error today vs. the Mets.

12. Flavor said, on February 26, 2011 at 1:30 pm

some clutch hitting by the Giants in the half inning I caught on the radio—Huff with a near bomb off the wall and Pablo coming through on the first pitch with RISP.

13. snarkk said, on February 26, 2011 at 2:03 pm

No clue about todays BB. Thank Keereist…

14. eddacker415 said, on February 26, 2011 at 2:07 pm

damn mlb has the ST radio locked up. Guess I am popin $120 for the package.
    I thought for sure europe had a p2p pushing games.

15. snarkk said, on February 26, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Itz way early, but I’m encouraged a bit by Pablo. I think he’s gone to a full count on 3 ABs so far in two games. Had a sac fly off of one yesterday. I think he may have gone a whole road trip last season without 3 full counts…

16. snarkk said, on February 26, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I learned something this week from Ralph and Tom on KNBR, quite a rarety. Following are the number of different teams winning their US professional league (the 4 major sports, baseball, hockey, basketball, football) title over the past 30 years. You match the numbers with the leagues — which ones have really the most and least proven parity?…

• snarkk said, on February 26, 2011 at 8:38 pm

MLB
      NFL
      NHL
      NBA
      Looks like baseball has the most “parity” despite the Yanks/Sox Axis powers.
      NBA is a joke…

17. Rough Trade said, on February 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Gotta be basket ball with the fewest.

18. Rough Trade said, on February 26, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Good to see Pablo went deep today and DeRosa 3-3.

19. Flavor said, on February 26, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Listening to KNBR Lurie show on the way home–idiots are in fin form right now. Some dude called up with the bright idea of trading Zito to the Yankees–and his plan was for the Yanks to take on ALL of Zito’s contract. Lurie sort of laughs out “Well how ya gonna get ’em to do that?” And he goes, “Well, we would need to throw in some value to make it worth their while–like Lopez”….Unreal.

• DJLoo said, on February 26, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Hey, I gave it a shot, OK?

20. twinfan said, on February 26, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Well, we know it wasn’t Loo-he’d throw in Posey and Timmy…we’d get Burnett

21. twinfan said, on February 27, 2011 at 8:34 am

Back to Bowker- the guy clearly has Major League power, I don’t think anyone was”bowkered” into giving him the RF job. There are hundreds of men tending bar or driving trucks who had the tools to play in the bigs. Whether it’s “that pitch”, a lack of commitment, whatever: it doesn’t always work out. Anyway, John totally earned the RF job over Nate. Of course, Andres the Giant soon took it away from BowWow…