A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Fantasy Baseball Time

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on February 28, 2011

If you are interested in joining The Flap’s Fantasy Baseball League, let me know. I’m going to cap it at 12 teams. There were a few guys who stopped playing mid season last year–that’s a big no-no and they won’t be invited to play this year. All of the other guys who played have first priority but regardless, we should have at least 3 openings for new players. Email me if you’re interested. bigflavor77@gmail.com If you are a regular contributor here you will have priority. If you’ve never played before don’t worry about it. Why? See the next paragraph.

I’m still kicking around the this year’s prize. Last year’s winner was BLADEinCOLORADO, who had never played fantasy baseball before. He won the prestigious “Broken Headed-Rich Aurilia Bobblehead”. His award sits quietly on my desk at work awaiting a mail address from him so that I can deliver it…..

It’s possible that I might make this year’s league a pay league. Nothing extravagant, $20 or so, just to keep people interested. The KEY to playing in the league is playing all season. No quitters. Oh, and NO WHITEY! Obviously, any $ I take in would get dispersed to the winners of the league (probably top 2 if we go with 12)

Invites have gone out to 9 of last year’s contestants. Four of you have already re-signed. Please respond to the invite in a timely manner or I’ll have to give your spot away.

1. Kevin said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:35 am

I registered, I did absolutely terrible, and I looked at it almost everyday!! I am sooooo lost when it comes to these fantasy leagues, lost my football one too!! But hey it is still fun, I feel like the Giants when they lost 100 games. I still watched and rooted for them.

• eddacker415 said, on February 28, 2011 at 3:38 pm

the Giants when they lost 100 games. I still watched and rooted for them.
      me, too
      attended a couple, watched or listened to every game.

2. twinfan said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:42 am

I’m not a fantasy guy, some confuse it with real baseball. I can see the fun of it, though, from my Fantasy Football days- lotsa blow and booze, and try to get home alive…good to do it from the safety of the couch…

3. Bozo said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:52 am

Flav, “Broken Headed-Rich Aurilia Bobblehead” cracked me up. Hope you don’t mind if I use that as an insult from time to time.
    I just got the invite and I’ll be signing up. I’m OK with a pay league. Will we be able to get more involved with the draft this year?

Twin, great line on the Splash the other day – “All you’ve got are the Dodger trolls and a sot who doesn’t know what time zone he’s in..”. Funny.

Loo, kicked out before the game? That’s God damn impressive.

Biggest surprise out of a spring training? I think it will be a trade of one of the untradeables ( Zito or Rowand) and/or Font and Ishi.

• Rough Trade said, on February 28, 2011 at 9:15 am

Zito getting moved about the same odds as one of us shagging that BB.

4. Flavor said, on February 28, 2011 at 9:09 am

My favorite part of the L:oo story was that he did all that—profanity, yelling, got kicked out….before the game started..
    Looks like the invites went out ok. I think the league is going to be $10, not $20. Again, just to keep it interesting AND to have the players have at least something invested in it. You can pay me by paypal or money order/check whatever. The deadline to pay up will be April 15th. The pay structure will be:
    1st place: $75
    2nd place: $35
    3rd place: $10
    Anyone that has a problem with this can, as usual, go suck it. 🙂

5. delmardennis said, on February 28, 2011 at 9:14 am

Thanks for the invite, Flav. When I tried to sign up it said the league was going to be full if all players returned and that the commish needed to either increase the max number of teams, or ax those that would not be returning.

It also said Ryan Doumit was off the board as he was taken in the first by Unca’s Army.

6. Flavor said, on February 28, 2011 at 9:24 am

Hmmmm, I will check into that. I must’ve sent out emails to everyone by accident even though I unclicked the invites to two players.

7. Flavor said, on February 28, 2011 at 9:30 am

OK Denny, I just sent you an invite. You should be good to go now.

8. Flavor said, on February 28, 2011 at 9:37 am

regarding the draft, I am keeping it as an auto-draft— doing a live draft takes at least 2 hours, sometimes longer and I don’t see 12 Flappers getting together for more than 2 hours unless it’s to watch a Giants game….
    you can adjust your rankings if you want to increase your likelihood of getting a player that you want–just be careful, if you move a player up on your board too far you are in danger of drafting him WAY to early (ask Ferrethead about that. I think she drafted Manny Burriss in like the 4th round last year.)

9. Mega Flavor said, on February 28, 2011 at 9:41 am

And if u have any questions about anything, just hit me on email

10. TedSpe said, on February 28, 2011 at 9:48 am

I basically know what a Fantasy League is but I have no idea how to play. But I enjoyed reading the updates all last year. I play…vicariously I suppose

11. snarkk said, on February 28, 2011 at 10:03 am

BF seriously upgrading into the high rent district today. Today’s BB is 25 year old supermodel Jessica Gomes. Been in last 4 SI Swimsuit Issues. Aussie, of Portuguese and Asian persuasion. She’s big in Korea. More pics at her tres slick website: http://www.iamjessicagomes.com. Doesn’t say there whether she’s more into cricket or baseball. My guess is she doesn’t bunt. And unless you’re the photog, her agent or somebody with a huge bankroll and/or new sponsor contract, your chances of getting past her handlers for a high OBP with her are about as high as Rohand going 4 for 4…

• TedSpe said, on February 28, 2011 at 11:22 am

Best…BB…ever

• Kevin said, on February 28, 2011 at 11:40 am

You say that everyday!! Lets face it you like all the BB!! Not saying I don’t, I do love them all.

• xootsuit said, on February 28, 2011 at 12:52 pm

A good-looking Asian woman with visible cleavage could get Ted to follow her anywhere.

• TedSpe said, on February 28, 2011 at 2:02 pm

xoot speaks the truth

12. delmardennis said, on February 28, 2011 at 11:07 am

All set Flav. Thanks again. I already got the message board up and running.

13. Flavor said, on February 28, 2011 at 11:18 am

great, glad you’re playing this year.

14. ferrethead said, on February 28, 2011 at 11:53 am

Flav – maybe I meant to draft Manny that early… It was all part of my evil plan to come in, well, not last. I forget where I came in last year, but it shouldn’t be too hard to top. My one claim to fame is that I in no way helped Blade…not too hard when he sent me insulting deals like Prince Fielder for Brian Wilson!

I haven’t responded yet, but I’m definitely going to join up again. Thanks for the invite!!!

15. Unca Chuck said, on February 28, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Is there the No Dodger rule again???

16. Unca Chuck said, on February 28, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Although the point is kinda moot now . . .

17. Kevin said, on February 28, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Flav, thanks for the “Country Mile” comment!! LOL, I think I should have gotten a consolation prize for that!! LOL

18. delmardennis said, on February 28, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Zito walked 5 of his 13 batters today including Fielder with the bases juiced. He’s in mid-season form already.

Pablo had a good AB. Shortened up with 2 strikes and lined a sharp single to left.
    When he was standing next to Prince at first, Baggs said he looked like Kate Moss.

• snarkk said, on February 28, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I’d usually say it’s too early to conclude anything about any veteran at this point in ST. With this guy, I’ll make an exception. This year could be ugly for the Zitoid. The number of idjits that call in to KNBR and express optimism or downright respect for this guy is amazing, after 3 years, or is it 4, of mostly crap. He’s an innings eater, alright, and while he does that, the team will eat sh-t on the scoreboard….

• delmardennis said, on February 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I don’t have any faith myself. Does he duplicate his 9 wins from last year?
        I don’t think so. I could see something stoopid like 5-15 for Zitshit.

19. xootsuit said, on February 28, 2011 at 1:26 pm

DeRosa’s HR just now is pretty encouraging evidence of a healthy wrist.

20. Unca Chuck said, on February 28, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I’m in, Flav . . .

21. Flavor said, on February 28, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Well, I’m not judging Zito after one ST start. I’m judging him off his single win since last July 16th. He’s done. He’s afraid of contact. A few good ST starts will mean nothing to me though he obviously didn’t have a good one today….
    CHUCK— I’m thinking we don’t do the no-Dodger rule. Someone fucked it up last yr and didn’t change their settings. But we’ll see.

22. snarkk said, on February 28, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Soupson pitched three very good innings today. What if he looks like Lazarus this Spring, and Zito continues to prove BF right? The Giants wouldn’t possibly cut Zito, but is it possible they could trade him anywhere just to get him outta here, and take back 80% or whatever’s needed of his salary? I don’t see what the problem would be. With a WS Championship in your pocket, you’ve got plenty of capital with the fans to clean out the closet of your mistakes and move onward. Chance of it: approaching zero. If Sabes pulled it off, he’d deserve a one year extension…

23. Unca Chuck said, on February 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm

The thing about Bubble Boy is, his first 3 years here, he stumbled out of the gate, plodded through the season, and came on toward the end of the year. Pressure to perform from the contract? Was it that he was either 1 or 2 in the rotation?

Last year he was dropped down the order and started like gangbusters, but hit the wall by the midway point when the games started mattering more. Yes, he got screwed on some games down the stretch, but all in all, when the pressure was on him, he folded like an origami swan.

24. Unca Chuck said, on February 28, 2011 at 2:31 pm

For a 5, Zito’s fine. Even in the 4 hole. Bummie looks to blow his doors off from the get-go. 1-3-5 will likely give you 7+, which if it comes to pass would be flat spectacular.

Sanchez has the pressure on him this year to play like the 1, 3, or 5 guy rather than the 4 guy . . .

• Rough Trade said, on February 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Consider the Nats opening day starter is 36 yr old Livan Hernandez, whose FB tops out at 84.

• xootsuit said, on February 28, 2011 at 6:21 pm

That’s 36 in Livan years — 46 in regular player years. 1 million pitches thrown. Strasburg must be scratching his head.

25. delmardennis said, on February 28, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Belt: 3 hits (2 doubles) and 4 RBI. Not too shabby for his first spring start.

26. zumarust said, on February 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm

If the goal was to have at least ONE of these three do well….so far so good!
    De Rosa: .750
    Sandoval: .400
    Belt: .429

27. blade3colorado said, on February 28, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Hey Flappers . . . I plan on defending and winning the Flap Fantasy League title again. Actually, Flav created a “monster” introducing me to fantasy league baseball last year. Not only did I win the Flap crown, but I went on to win the Yahoo FL football league I joined and I have been in 1st place most of the season in basketball too . . . Consequently, I don’t want to ruin my perfect record. Ha.

Regarding the “Broken Headed-Rich Aurilia Bobblehead” Championship Trophy . . . I sort of think of it as similar to the World Series Trophy tour – slowly making it’s way to Colorado via a tour of Flav’s home office in Los Altos, then the Los Altos Post Office, then the Regional Post Office in Henderson Colorado, and finally, my home in Lakewood Colorado.

Not exactly the New York tour leg that the WS trophy enjoyed, but what the heck . . . 🙂

• Kevin said, on February 28, 2011 at 4:05 pm

You need to post that on the Fantasy league page, Jean was complaining about lack of whitty comments!!

• TedSpe said, on February 28, 2011 at 4:16 pm

blade, are you going to let folks get their picture taken with it?

• blade3colorado said, on February 28, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Perhaps Ted . . . but as Flav pointed out, the Trophy is quite delicate, having broken it’s neck after SanDog tossed it against the wall after a Giants loss (Flav help me here – didn’t SanDog own the trophy before you took possession? Maybe Bozo owned it).

28. zumarust said, on February 28, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Someone on the Flap a few days ago commented that there’s more parity in sports championships in baseball than the other major sports. The problem I have with the statement is that the sample was from 1981 on. Baseball changed significantly after the strike in ’94. From ’95 onward, baseball is not all that diverse in its champions, in the sense that it’s the upper half payroll teams that win the titles, including the years the Marlins and D-Backs spent big bucks to win titles. 5 Yankee titles, 2 Red Sox, 2 Marlins, 1 Braves, 1 D-Backs, 1 Angels, 1 White Sox, 1 Cardinals, 1 Phillies, 1 Giants.
    The Pirates and KC were playoff teams in ’80s. Those two teams are going DECADES now without even winning records.

29. stixwiz said, on February 28, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Adding today’s performance to his 3-league tour of the Minors last year; Belt looks to be a doubles machine. He has excellent slash power plus base-stealing speed. The top run-scoring teams usually pound out lotsa two-baggers and draw plenty of walks. Though SF may still be a bit light in the latter category, at whatever point of the season Brandon gets the call, he will join guys like Torres who would have copped the doubles crown last year if he had sufficient opportunities at the plate. Posey and Panda loom pretty high in the two-bagger category and Huff and Franchez are not exactly slouches in that metric.

Neither team nor individual stats were a big plus for the squad in their World Championship year. This season i expect them to lead the league in two-baggers. Also, it is not an extremely bold prediction to calculate that they will be among the top third and possibly even quarter of the NL teams in run production. They may prove to be the best hitting team outside of the ones who play in bandboxes and launching pads.

Giants pitching more than matches their potential at the plate. Barring major injuries in the Rotation, i continue to hold with my early January prediction of a 100 win season.

30. Sandawg said, on February 28, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I never owned the bobblehead Aurilia. I wasn’t at the Halicki no-hitter either.
    I WAS at the Jerry Reuss no-hitter, the Memorial Day game against the Phils when Will hit his first GS, Ken Howel got ejected and Mike Schmidt retired afterward. I was also at the game when John Stearns broke the homerless streak off Greg Minton, and, most impressively, I was at a game where Phil Nastu started and, if memory serves, logged a quality start.
    I also wasn’t at the game where they gave away free baseballs that were getting thrown on the field and Deon Sanders was signing the balls in between batters DURING the game. ( I love that story, by the way)

Cheers Flappers!!

• blade3colorado said, on February 28, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Sorry Sandawg . . . Like I said, someone owned it before Flav, but I can’t recall who.

31. Sandawg said, on February 28, 2011 at 5:41 pm

No worries Blade–always good to be remembered regardless.
    Kind of reminds of a dive bar my brother and I checked out in the Skid Row area of LA recently. The place was called “King Eddy’s,” and the slogan for the place was ‘King Eddy’s–Where Nobody Gives a Shit What Your Name Is.”
    Pretty classic place, but a hard-core dive bar. You actually have to have the bartender buzz you into the bathroom so they can confirm you are a customer and not some guy off the street.

32. Dirtnrocksnreno said, on February 28, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Saw Chi over at Baggs the other day. What happened to that dude? I mean besides getting a life.

• Flavor said, on February 28, 2011 at 7:09 pm

unknown. But he’s always welcomed back, once a Flapper, always a Flapper……

33. Flavor said, on February 28, 2011 at 7:06 pm

the Aurilia bobblehead was owned by Bozo and generously donated as the singular prize for last year’s Flap Fantasy Contest. It was ultimately placed in harm’s way at my house (on the ground in my office), kicked over by me in the dark, and destroyed; or at least, his head got knocked off.
    I’d like to propose that in addition to the nominal duckets won by the top 3 players this year, the WINNER gets to hold on to and enjoy the broken headed Aurilia for an entire year, ultimately bequeathing it to the next year’s winner. We’ll pass him around from year to year, like the drunken town whore. BLADE has already missed out on enjoying his prize so I hope he sends me an address to send it to him. Either that, or he must be just content in knowing that the broken headed trophy was his all along, if not in his physical possession.

• blade3colorado said, on February 28, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I guess I would like to imagine that like Chuckie in some warped Field of Dreams, the “Broken Headed-Rich Aurilia Bobblehead” comes alive at night when the Flav family sleeps and his broken neck was the result of diving deep into the hole (or Flav’s office) where he caught the line drive hit by the Manny Ramirez Bobblehead doll . . .

• macdog said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Is there a Mrs. Aurilia bobblehead that goes with it?

• Flavor said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:15 pm

yes. Richie’s headless body is doing her doggie style as I type this. I’m telling you, there is some CRAZY shit going on at Casa de Flavor……

34. snarkk said, on February 28, 2011 at 7:26 pm

If Brandon Belt turns into the real deal, he’s gotta have one of the best MLB names going. It beats Buster Posey, which is pretty darn good itself. Who would be a rival? Coco Crisp? The old guys are up there, too, but Belt’s a contender: Billy Beane, Manny Mota, Dick Drago, Duffy Dyer, Dick Pole, Charley Spikes, Buddy Bell, Pedro Borbon, Boog Powell, Bud Black, Mackey Sasser, Boof Bonser, Mookie Wilson, Chili Davis, “Moon Man” Minton, Oil Can Boyd, Van Lingle Mungo, Biff Pocoroba, Zoilo Versalles, Dusty Rhodes…

• snarkk said, on February 28, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Not to mention Johnny Dickshot, Horace Speed, Neal Ball, Jack Glasscock, Rusty Peters and Rusty Kuntz, and the never to be forgotten — our very own — Brian Bocock…

35. Dirtnrocksnreno said, on February 28, 2011 at 7:48 pm

No dodgers would make it a true Orange an Black league. I got to read up on this shit.

36. blade3colorado said, on February 28, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Yahoo Sports and Forbes Magazine have come up with a top ten list of “Miserable Sports Cities.”

No idea if San Francisco would have been on this 2011 list if they hadn’t won the World Series . . .

• snarkk said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I can’t see Buffalo being below Phoenix on the sports futilty list. Phoenix at least got the 2001 World Series title. Any town with a title has to be better than a town without. So, Buffalo losing 4 Super Bowls straight and no NBA or NHL hardware has to be ahead of Phoenix and Seattle on the futility list. I’ll go with Atlanta as the worst town, Buffalo second…

• snarkk said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Whoops, forgot the Atlanta ’96 Series win. So, gotta go Buffalo as #1 worst sports town for performance. But, Buffalo’s got way better fans that Atlanta, so maybe it’s a push between the two…

37. Flavor said, on February 28, 2011 at 7:51 pm

So, there’s a lot of interest in the FLAP fantasy league. I’m upping the # of teams to 16 instead of 12. And I’ve increased the max pitching innings because that caused a problem last year.

38. dirtnrocksnreno said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:00 pm

So auto draft out of the gate and trades to set yourself up?

Best BB. By far.

39. Flavor said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:12 pm

We’ll go auto-draft but you can adjust your rankings to increase the chances of getting *your guy* (insert SUPER gay-ass smiley face). Trade deadline is late Aug. I’ll walk everyone through ranking their players, the scoring system, time you’ll spend on this, all that shit……But not now, check the message board at the league for all that info sometime later this month (March).

40. Flavor said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Added a POTW to the sidebar. For the purposes of starting it off, Snarkk’s will just last for this week as the winner. From here on out there will be a page where you can view all of the POTW, to be determined every Sunday evening. And there’s even a prize, too. Dude who gets the most “POTW’s” during the season (Week 1 through the playoffs) gets a $50 gift card to Safeway— I’ll pick the first few months myself, but to keep it fair, I’ll probably have you guys vote on the POTW from August onward in a poll that will last a day or so……..
    We keep it super real at The Flap………

41. Flavor said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:38 pm

actually, I could probably figger out a way to have you guys vote on it every week— I’ll just summarize all the POTD’s into a poll for the POTW winner. Dig?

• DJLoo said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:39 pm

No, it’s too complicated.

42. DJLoo said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Great….the closest Safeway to Brooklyn is in Wyoming.

• blade3colorado said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Cha Ching . . . DJLoo already got post of the day, week, month and year with that Brooklyn/Wyoming witticism.

43. Flavor said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:42 pm

sell it on ebay. And you are one of the favorites so you might need to look into getting an ebay account…….

44. twinfan said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Just give it to Snarkk one week and Loo the next. Make life easy.

45. Flavor said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:49 pm

But there WILL be a vote. I’m a fucking democrat living in a crazy ass democracy. If my dick was made out of cheese, Muammar Gaddafi would be a fine cheddar connoisseur (gay ass/political joke smile?)……..
    We’ll vote the POTW’s into the POTW archives. Winner wins the Safeway gift card, to be used in Wyoming, sold on eBay or your nearest Safeway. Prize is subject to change/value. TBD Opening day…….

• snarkk said, on February 28, 2011 at 10:23 pm

I thought it was too hot for cheese in Libya…

46. snarkk said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Wow, thanks BF. Winning the inaugural POTW, cool. Even though it was by default, I’ll take it. Wait a second,… it doesn’t count yet, does it? Sheezus. That’s like after a great evening of dining and dancing with today’s smokin’ BB, you go back to her palatial digs for some form of dessert and you open the door to find — her father…

47. snarkk said, on February 28, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Anybody have any comments on Font being the backup SS? I’m not overjoyed with that. I don’t think he’s got the arm for it, apparently hasn’t disabused anyone yet of the notion that he’s not any great shakes there…

48. dirtnrocksnreno said, on February 28, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Safeway? Will there be a frozen turkey prize come November?

49. xootsuit said, on February 28, 2011 at 9:48 pm

$50 Safeway card? I’m in. Can’t wait to flash that card. “I’m here to buy your best bottle of wine.” Sirens will go off in the store; the clerk will grab a phone and the intercom will boom: “Customer service on aisle two! And bring the key.”

• snarkk said, on February 28, 2011 at 9:58 pm

That might get me two bottles of decent scotch. Probably enough for a month’s worth of BW 9th innings…

50. Rough Trade said, on February 28, 2011 at 9:52 pm

It’s the 9th inning of the LA SF game where Mattingly messed up.

• xootsuit said, on February 28, 2011 at 9:58 pm

yeah, I’m watching that too.

51. Sportdude said, on February 28, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Fantasy sounds good, but already in a league, and working 2 jobs…Give us regular updates on standings…