A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Picking Up Where they Left Off

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 7, 2011

A quick check of the Spring Training stats show us that most of our guys are hitting the ball well right now. Ross, Torres, DeRosa and Posey are all hitting over .400 with Posey murdering the ball at a .643 clip. Rowand is not duplicating last Spring and is now hitting .111 and is on the shelf for a few days with a bad hammy. That’s not good, he’s tough to trade to Philly if he’s hurt……

The thing I like about this start is the number of hits with RISP. I haven’t seen a stat on it but every time I turn on the radio it sounds like someone important to this year’s team is driving in runs (Sandoval especially)….

With nearly half the roster hitting .300 or better, even though it’s Spring Training, the offense is doing just fine. I wish I had something to complain about but I don’t. I guess I’m a little tired of Renel as the PA announcer. I think  we could use a change in that department. Other than that, I got nuthin’…..

1. stixwiz said, on March 7, 2011 at 7:00 am

Pretty much everything seems to be falling into place with the few exceptions being typically tenuous ST defense here and there and, of course, Cain’s elbow. Otherwise, as Flav points out, the hitting ~including RISP~ is certainly there; the rotation looks crisp and the 25-man relievers stout. Maybe complainers could pick a second team to back ~or check out the Splash now and again. Not my intention.

2. zumarust said, on March 7, 2011 at 7:23 am

My only complaint is no Giants games on television yet. I was so desperate to watch a game, I watched Toronto play Pittsburgh last night.
    The MLB network is covering the Giants today as part of their 30 teams in 30 days series, though. It’s a good series.
    They covered the Dodgers yesterday. The Dodgers’ top prospect is a shortstop named Gordon, who is “Flash’s” son. The kid seemed pretty goofy, like he thought he was Mr. Comedian. I’m glad the Giants rookies the last few years have been very serious and mature type of players. Posey and Bum came into the big leagues with wisdom beyond their years. And, as BF pointed out, Belt comes across similar to that in his interviews.

• zumarust said, on March 7, 2011 at 7:30 am

I complained too quickly. The Giants play Texas in a Spring Training game tonight on Comcast at 6 PM, the first Giants broadcast of 2011.

• Nipper said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:08 am

“I complained too quickly.” I like that quote.

3. Giant Head said, on March 7, 2011 at 7:42 am

Flav, I likely missed your answer, but when are you starting the auto-draft?

4. twinfan said, on March 7, 2011 at 7:55 am

Renel is just fine and I’d think a stat freak like Craig would know that hitting with RISP is a random statistic- virtually everybody eventually hits the same with RISP or not..

• Nipper said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:11 am

She’s got more personality than the previous woman who held the job that’s for sure.

• ewisco said, on March 7, 2011 at 10:28 am

I think the other woman’s name was sherry. I met her at a bar during ST one year and she was a total hoot. Renel drives me nuts with her shrieking.

5. Kevin said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:33 am

Oh my!! I am going to use Ted’s line
    Best BB ever!! Whew, I don’t know if I will get any work done, I could stare at her all day

6. Giant Head said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:37 am

who took the picture of my wife???

7. Flavor said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:49 am

GH– not yet. It will probably be closer to the end of March. We have 14 teams now and I just might go with that. I have other interested players but we don’t really *know* them and if that’s the case, 14 is fine. If any other regulars want to play in the Fantasy Baseball League, let me know via email….

8. Bozo said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:54 am

I basically sat in front of Renel for years, she never bothered me as much as some folks. She’s actually pretty nice to talk to. My only problem with her is she’s a huge Raider fan.
    Wasn’t the dude that used to do the Wheeeeel Clark thing busted as a pedophile or something? So I guess it could be worse.

Got my plane ticket to be in SF for opening day. A band I really like, Rube Waddell (named after the crazy ass pitcher), I think are playing that night so that’s icing.

9. twinfan said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:10 am

The only reason to have a problem with Renel is if you have a problem with the female voice. As I said, she’s just fine.

• Nipper said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:14 am

Things are going well when the bitching turns to the announcer. What’s next, the price of hot dogs?

• Bozo said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:47 am

She gets the names right and her voice is not irritating that’s about all I ask for in PA announcer. Now, I don’t much care for the kids when they let them announce. Well, except that kid that called Russ Davis Roos, that was funny and probably saved Russ from getting booed to everyone just going ROOS.

• ewisco said, on March 7, 2011 at 12:55 pm

can’t say as i agree. imo, she has an annoying tendancy to shriek. nothing to do with appreciating or not appreciating the female voice.

10. Flavor said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:22 am

I just think it’s time for a change. A new voice would be nice. Don’t care if it’s female or not.

11. twinfan said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:27 am

The Voice of God died, you might have to settle for Moses…

• TedSpe said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:53 am

Heston did both

12. Kevin said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:36 am

Truely a slow day in the Giants Baseball world, At the games how many innings do they let the kids anounce the batters, maybe they ought to let kids do every inning?

13. Rough Trade said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:50 am

Baggs with the good news on our closer: “Brian Wilson’s first outing of the spring couldn’t have gone better unless a flock of titmice flew out of his beard.”

• Unca Chuck said, on March 7, 2011 at 11:36 am

Flock of titmice?

Do titmice travel in flocks?

Do titmice have small tits?

(.)(.)

• xootsuit said, on March 7, 2011 at 12:26 pm

A titmouse is a bird, Chuck.

14. TedSpe said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:54 am

third…best…BB…ever

• Kevin said, on March 7, 2011 at 10:05 am

okay fine

• Unca Chuck said, on March 7, 2011 at 11:34 am

Nahhh. Shes #1 . . . plus, she’s laying on a Corvette.

Fast car, hot girl? Even more reason to be #1.

• xootsuit said, on March 7, 2011 at 12:20 pm

That’s a Nissan Z caressing her ass, Chuck.

• TedSpe said, on March 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Just waiting for snarkk to tell us who she is

• eddacker415 said, on March 7, 2011 at 4:14 pm

not much of a smile and her hair! OMG gag me with a spoon

15. twinfan said, on March 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm

The LU:
    Torres CF
    Sanchez 2b
    Sandoval 3B
    Ross RF
    Burrell LF
    DeRosa SS
    Belt 1B
    Ishikawa DH
    Stewart C
    Dirty

16. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm

DeRosa at SS? He’s played liked 2 gms there since ’07. And Stewart over NO Whitey at catcher?

This has “Blockheads” fingerprints all over it.

17. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 7, 2011 at 3:00 pm

From Henry S.: Giants have reached a one-year deal with Posey, so no long-term deal for now. Just filed a short blog. Should be up in a few.

Guesses on the $$$? I’ll say 1.1

• zumarust said, on March 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm

If it’s that, don’t feel TOO sorry for Buster. The Giants gave him a big signing bonus when came out of college.

• xootsuit said, on March 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm

A huge $6.2MM signing bonus, the biggest ever to that point. He and his agent made it clear that it would need to be a big bonus before draft day. And you can bet the money was one reason the four teams ahead of the Giants in the 2008 draft didn’t grab the kid. They were the Rays, the Pirates, the Royals and the Orioles. Maybe Baltimore is kicking itself now. The others are probably still smiling about the money they saved.

18. Rough Trade said, on March 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Give him 650k. He’ll get plenty soon enough.

19. Rough Trade said, on March 7, 2011 at 3:20 pm

xoot, Baltimore already had Weiters and Pitts also gave Alvarez a 6m bonus.

• xootsuit said, on March 7, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Pittsburgh made a multiyear deal with Alvarez; it wasn’t a bonus. And, my god, its total value was $200K less than Buster’s bonus. How can you compre them?

• Rough Trade said, on March 7, 2011 at 4:58 pm

The point is Pitts gave him 6.3m guaranteed money.

• xootsuit said, on March 7, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Not my point.

• xootsuit said, on March 7, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Also, I guess Matusz is looking pretty promising for Baltimore.

• Rough Trade said, on March 7, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Beside the point. With Weiters drafted 5th overall a yr before and being rated very high by BP, the Orioles obviously weren’t looking at drafting a catcher.

• xootsuit said, on March 7, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Well, I did exempt Baltimore to begin with. But even more to the point — your logic could’ve applied to the Giants, who had Sandoval playing so well at catcher in early 2008. Still, they picked Buster. Also, I’d say Buster’s better than Wieters in every way. In any event, I do agree with your overall point, which is that you know a lot about the drafts.

• xootsuit said, on March 7, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Sandoval playing so well in the minors at catcher, at that time, I meant. (They didn’t call him up until August, after the draft.)

• xootsuit said, on March 7, 2011 at 5:44 pm

And now I see that I didn’t exempt Baltimore, at all. So I’ll have to go with the obvious: The Giants were right — Buster was worth the money. The four teams that passed over Buster, to one degree or another, screwed up, although not nearly as badly as did the teams who passed over Lincecum some years earlier.

• xootsuit said, on March 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Except for Tampa Bay.

20. eddacker415 said, on March 7, 2011 at 4:24 pm

2 things, I am happy the CSBA game is on computer today
    and it’s a slow news day so a quiz:

“All men are donkeys or men and donkeys are donkeys”
    true or false?

from wiki today

• TedSpe said, on March 7, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I’ll say…D

• Kevin said, on March 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm

D as in donkey???

• xootsuit said, on March 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm

geez. Put a comma before “and” and then take a look in the mirror. True.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 7, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I’ll take what’s behind curtain #3.

21. Kevin said, on March 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm

False

22. twinfan said, on March 7, 2011 at 5:49 pm

All men are asses?
    As to Buster, he’ll have his chance to be wildly overpaid…

23. Flavor said, on March 7, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Tom and Ralph just gave Lacob a handjob on KNBR. I’ll listen to the tape of what he said (he’s now denying saying what he said and/or not remembering saying it) but if this was a clear question about BLOGGERS and Lacob responded the way it was reported than the interview I just listened to was just a smokescreen.

24. Flavor said, on March 7, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I’m not going to swear by this but I think this is true: the last time I watched COmcast was the final WS game. I just turned it on for the first time sinse then and there was Kuip touting tonight’s Giants/Rangers ST game. Weird time warp….

25. Flavor said, on March 7, 2011 at 6:06 pm

and actually that’s not true since the last WS game wasn’t broadcast on Comcast. So, I guess I can’t remember the last time I flipped the channel to Comcast. September?

26. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 7, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Spring Training or not, I’m excited to watch some ball. I’m disappointed NO Whitey isn’t in the lineup. But that just gives me more to bitch about. Like DeRosa at SS? You got to be kidding me. I’ll set O/U on his errors at 2 1/2.

Oh yeah, our lineup stinks on ice. GO CHAMPS!

27. Mega Flavor said, on March 7, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Dirrrry’s face looks different. I can’t quite put my finger in what it it. It’s like it’s….larger

• TedSpe said, on March 7, 2011 at 6:13 pm

His cap’s smaller

• zumarust said, on March 7, 2011 at 6:50 pm

He shaved his mustache.

28. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 7, 2011 at 6:12 pm

DeRosa had a hand in all 3 outs. Just like I said, he’ll be great at SS.

29. zumarust said, on March 7, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Wow! Sandoval! Cool!

30. Mega Flavor said, on March 7, 2011 at 6:22 pm

We’ve all heard about it but man does Pablo look good. it’s like a completely different person

31. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 7, 2011 at 6:24 pm

You really can see the weight loss in Pablo’s lower body, especially his thighs.
    And speaking of thighs, today’s BB has the best ones yet. Looking at her gives me a hankering for some KFC legs and thighs. Throw in a side of slaw and mashed potatoes while you’re at it.

32. Flavor said, on March 7, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Now I’m starting to think that Fontenot was re-signed as insurance for DeRosa. If DeRosa keeps hitting and shows he’s healthy, I’m guessing Font is on the bubble…..

33. twinfan said, on March 7, 2011 at 7:39 pm

So you’re giving the other reserve infield spot to Burriss?

34. DJLoo said, on March 7, 2011 at 7:42 pm

According to 30 in 30, DeRosa’s the starting LF. Reynolds laments the loss of Uribe. Lincecum and Huff sure have great voices.

Xoot: I apologize for my ignorant comment to your moose story last night.

• xootsuit said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:33 pm

No problem, DJL.

35. Kevin said, on March 7, 2011 at 7:43 pm

The BB is just plain hot!

36. DJLoo said, on March 7, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Hopefully we pick up a big bat at at the trade deadline. Beltran, anybody?

• blade3colorado said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Loo, his knee is acting up again . . . Not playing Center and right field is a question mark.

37. Flavor said, on March 7, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Kevin, I love it that you’ve sustained your feelings for the BB from the beginning of the work day all the way through dinner time. I guess I nailed that one (or wish to have).
    Twin, I get stuck on who is backing up who in the infield with all the different positions these guys can play. If DeRosa is healthy does that somehow jeopardize Ishikawa? It seems to me that a healthy DeRosa does what Fontenot can do only 100 times better…….

• blade3colorado said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Flav, this is the latest and greatest insofar as starting roster and backups . . .

• Flavor said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I appreciate the link Blade, but Yahoo is the last place I would go for a depth chart link. They’ll a million miles away, on every team…..

38. paulinasia said, on March 7, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Still some starting positions to iron out (1B, LF) but lots of discussion about back-ups, too, which is good because it means the starters are pencilled in with high confidence for the most part. And the parts will be interchangeable, though interchangeability likely won’t be needed as much as last year, and Bochy has proven skilled at that. Fontenot or Burris? Does Burris still have options to go down to Fresno? If so, they might look at Fontenot for awhile as backup to SS but if he’s not doing much, Burriss ain’t far away. I’d still like to see Burriss claim a spot at some point. As for DeRosa, perhaps he will be the starting LFer but he will likely be very key in the infield… and while he hasn’t played much SS in the majors, he did play more SS there in his younger years, and in fact I remember him saying that he LIKES playing SS. That would indicate to me that he feels comfortable there. He could certainly be a very key player this year no matter where he plays, and his flexibility is huge.

39. Flavor said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:04 pm

maybe 10 times better.

• paulinasia said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:09 pm

10 times is good… less hyperbole and definitely more true…

40. Flavor said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I’m hoping Burrell feels confident that tonight’s performance improved his chances of making the team…….

• DJLoo said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Hope is a good thing, Giggety…maybe the best of things.

• paulinasia said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:54 pm

And good things never die (to finish that quote). Bring on the VO, Loo…

• twinfan said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Can the snarkasm…as Bochy said, he’s in a competition for thr LF job, as of now he’s losing to DeRosa.One of Nate,Rowand, or Burrell is out.
      And they need two middle infield reserves, BTW. Fontenot is in zero trouble..

41. Flavor said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Loo, I’m counting on you scoring this Safeway card. Or at least being one of the favorites to win it. Another 6 month hiatus could fuck you, though……

• DJLoo said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I’m getting into the idea of really celebrating the incomprehensible events of 2010. I don’t think I’ve done enough of that. (Have you guys?) My re-acquired taste for Seagram’s VO should be a big help.

• DJLoo said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I’ve never been to a Safeway. Do they sell “Tucks”?

42. Flavor said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:55 pm

No. And yes.

43. Flavor said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:56 pm

But stop living on futures. Start earning your keep……

44. xootsuit said, on March 7, 2011 at 8:56 pm

see that comciast piece on B Wilson just now? BW says he likes to workout to painful exhaustion so that he has a recent physical triumph to relate to later that day, or night, when he gets called in to close a game. Why do these comcast “journalists” fall for that stuff?

45. twinfan said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:05 pm

PTOD:
    “The Splash was lots of fun 3-4 years ago” Is there some hilarity there that I’m missing?

• DJLoo said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:09 pm

It’s kinda like calling William Henry Harrison a great President.

46. twinfan said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Whatever. Low bar for POTD..

47. Mega Flavor said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:21 pm

You’re just pissed u don’t have a nominee. We’ll probably vote tomorrow. This week is a little underwhelming, I’m hoping week 2 brings us some loo/Paul/snarkk/etc….

48. xootsuit said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I guess we’re lookin at American Idol, Flap Edition. You need a panel of three judges, BF. Otherwise, your rankings won’t convince anyone. Tell you what. I’ll promise not to post during the day, at all, if you’ll set me up to be the only cold-blooded hatchet-job judge of the three.

49. snarkk said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Marty Lurie has Hackman on right now on KNBR…

50. DJLoo said, on March 7, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Ali-Frazier, 40 years ago tomorrow…
    Any recollections?
    Goodnight.

• Unca Chuck said, on March 8, 2011 at 8:29 am

I was in 2nd grade . . . oh, what a time it was . . .