A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Team Spring Training Stats and Brian Wilson

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 23, 2011

With our stellar ST record, I was surprised to see us near the bottom of the league with a .258 batting average. The Milwaukee Brewers are hitting a mind blowing .337 as a team. Crazy. We’re 4th in the league in ERA which is no surprise. I WAS surprised to see the A’s 2nd to last in team ERA at 5.65. That staff is one of the best in baseball….

Wilson is saying he’s going to be ready for opening day. Uh huh. Right. Something still isn’t sitting right with me about him, specifically how he conducted himself in the off season. If you are going to brag about your hooker-laden trip through Thailand, show up on late night tv shows dressed like a fool and associate yourself with Charlie Sheen (winning!) then you better be able to answer the bell when your job starts. And he just hasn’t been able to do that. First the back injury and now an oblique thing has popped up. To me, that’s a guy who just didn’t take care of his core this Winter. And for a pitcher, you just have to do that. He can SAY he’s going to be ready for opening day but even if he is physically able to pitch he simply hasn’t thrown enough innings to be READY for opening day. He’s pitched 5 freaking innings….

Brian Wilson has earned the benefit of the doubt for all he’s done in his career for us. But these core injuries are an ominous sign. And when you put yourself out there the way he did this off season you’re also gonna need to be accountable for the flip side of the fame and focus that you bring on himself. There’s a fine line between winning(!) and, well, not winning……

1. twinfan said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:14 am

So first you slam Wilson and then say he desreves the benefit of the doubt? Isn’t that what you were all over Schulman for?
    Anyway, all there is is the perception that he didn’t stay in shape, none of the activities you list preclude that he did.

2. Giant Head said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:19 am

If I were BWilson and just closed the winning game for the first World Series Championship in SF Giants history, I would have began drinking and not stopped until after I arrived at Spring Training and nailed every honey I could get my hands on…he deserves a lot of credit to still be alive!!!

3. twinfan said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:25 am

There’s more reason to slam Lincecum for his awful eating habits, BTW…

• willied said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:39 am

agreed…the Kid’s eating habits are truly awful, and a terrible example for younger kids that are fans. Parents and coaches everywhere had to cringe when they heard about his 3-double cheese plus a shake combo, consumed daily,

On the flip side, what does pulling or straining an oblique (or any other muscle for that matter) have to do with pre-season conditioning? Or, even less, getting your arm into shape before ST? You can train for hours every day and still go out and injure yourself doing a simple activity. Happens to pro athletes (and amateurs) all the time.

Wilson, as we have all seen, is capable of some pretty incredible feats. However he gets ready and how long it takes is up to him. And if he says he will be ready I’m sure he is well aware of the pressure of his position and his own obligations…this guy has pretty high standards to start with, and bounces back pretty well after a stumble or two.

4. Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:29 am

disagree. Timmy’s eating habits are actually a GOOD thing. This dude needs to keep weight on, if that’s how he does it, more power to him. And Timmy is answering the bell to play, Wilson is not….

• twinfan said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:50 am

Is there an absurd post of the week? Tim’s diet is unhealthy-period.

• Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:53 am

go take a look at his body and tell me if it looks unhealthy. He’s 26, he eats whatever he wants and doesn’t gain weight. It’s not a fucking problem until he starts looking like Panda, ok? And as I said, which you ignored for some reason, the kid has trouble keeping weight on. He needs to take in a ton of calories to make it through the season.

• twinfan said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:01 am

Keeping weight on by eating unhealthy foods is ridiculous. You should know better, I’m shocked.

• Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:08 am

Kruk and Kuip were laughing about it on KNBR the other day. Pro athletes in their 20’s are different from regular people. Eating habits in your 20’s aren’t that big of a deal, you can adjust them as you get older. I’m surprised you didn’t know this….

5. Kevin said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:40 am

I don’t want to get the last thread going, but Mike Fontenot is the only back up for Tejad. The only true SS? I thought DeRosa could play there??

6. Nipper said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:41 am

BF and Twin should fight more. Don’t hold back and avoid politeness at all costs.

7. Kevin said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:45 am

I have to agree with Willed, I think if you are a really good athelete you know your body. Was Wilson and diligent as last year?? Only he knows. Untill he starts blowing saves. I will cut him some slack.

8. willied said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:52 am

flav, keeping weight on, adding strength, providing fuel for your body and eating the way Lincecum does do not mix. What would the people you train with say to that kind of diet on a regular basis? what he is doing is immature and ridiculous, and extremely unhealthy, for anyone. what is a parent trying to get their kids to eat healthy and nutritious supposed to say when their son retorts “Lincecum does it?” this kind of shit bugs me, that a pro kids admire and look up to would act like this. Yes, you are a role model.
    For all the flack given to Pablo last year, I don’t get how Lincecum gets a pass to be a doofus. There is a science to diet and nutritiion (ask college athletes whose coaches choose what they eat at restaurants and when) related to performance on the field, and I’d be surprised if the Giants trainers endorsed the Lincecum diet for anyone, including him.

9. Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:10 am

WillieD– I agree with that entire post except for one thing: you can hardly argue that Tim’s eating habits are holding him back. he’s won 2 CY’s, he looks great and he didn’t run out of steam like a lot of people thought last year, in fact he got stronger. It’s simply not an issue for him. You guys are trying to make it one, but it’s not…..

10. Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:16 am

and no one gave a shit about Pablo’s eating habits until it became a problem with his performance. If Timmy gains 50 lbs and can’t throw the ball over the plate then fuckin’ right it’ll get addressed. But right now? It’s a non issue…

11. twinfan said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:19 am

This is the dumbest shit Flavoro has ever posted. Pro teams know the value of good nutrition, that’s why the pre and postgame spreads now focus on pastas, salads, and the like. In the old days it was steaks, fried foods, etc.
    “To say fast food has a “nutritional value” is an oxymoron. There is absolutely nothing nutritional about fast food. Fast food simply feeds hunger and/or your immediate craving. Fast food does not feed your body in the form of usable lasting energy or building materials, the essence your body thrives on for life itself”

12. twinfan said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:25 am

Saying that his atrocious eating habits haven’t affected him “yet” is hardly a compelling argument for an unhealthy diet. Even worse is the notion that an athlete has less need for a healthy, balanced diet than a “regular” person.

13. Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:28 am

like I said, you guys are making an issue where there is none. He’s won 2 CY’s. I’m assuming your argument is that he would have won 3 CY’s if he ate healthy. Totally unprovable. Next subject….

14. snarkk said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:28 am

Damn. After all that, I’m heading out to eat two oatmeal/bran muffins, slug down some wheat grass extract, then finish it off with a two hour Thai massage…

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:46 am

Don’t forget the happy ending.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on March 23, 2011 at 5:34 pm

be sure to wear your Birkenstocks too

15. willied said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:35 am

end result does not justify the means, imo. I just feel bad for kids who read this type of stuff about their heroes and think it’s OK. I used to coach HS girls b-ball, and talked to kids who “didn’t have time” for breakfast and ate “smores” for brunch and then went and ran for 2 hours practice after a school day. It’s dumb and unhealthy to eat like the Kid does, and if kids think what he does works and is OK, that’s even worse.
    I’d also give you the opposite side…what if he worked out more like Oswalt told him, and ate better? August last year might never have happened.

16. twinfan said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:39 am

There is ZERO evidence that anything Wilson did caused or contributed to his injury, BTW.

17. TedSpe said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:39 am

Maybe I missed something but I don’t recall reading or hearing that that was Lincecum’s daily diet. My take was it was comfort food, something he considers a treat, once or twice a week. Of course the media’s going to make something out of it because they’ve got nothing else. The little guy looks fairly healthy to me. It’s like saying “I love pizza” and suddenly everyone thinks that’s all you eat. For all we know, Lincecum has granola every morning and a Cobb salad 5 times a week.
    As for Wilson, Flav’s last paragraph summed up my opinion “Brian Wilson has earned the benefit of the doubt for all he’s done in his career for us.”. Dude’s a Man-Diva. Thrives on the attention and he’s milking it for as long as it lasts. But I’m not anywhere NEAR counting him out. Injuries happen. My friend pulled a hammie getting out of his car.

18. TedSpe said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:42 am

worst…bb…hairstyle…ever

• Rough Trade said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:12 am

But R Crumb would dig that uh, posture.

• TedSpe said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:19 am

True that

19. twinfan said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:47 am

Tim does NOT look good, BTW. A tell tale sign are his teeth, just awful.

20. dirtnrocksnreno said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:50 am

So Lincecum puts away tons of fast food on occasion. Big fucking deal? If he looks like Rick Reuschel and is still winning 15-20 nobody will care.

21. dirtnrocksnreno said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:04 am

There has been a lot of discussion about the suckitude of Rowand and Tejada. Meanwhile DeRosa is quitelt tucked away with more wrist troubles. Is he going to be added to the list of sunk costs?

• TedSpe said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:21 am

Minor tendonitis. But he’s supposed to hit today

22. Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:13 am

my understanding was they were just giving him a break, is there new info about another wrist injury?
    DIRT– you nailed it. No one gives a shit what you look like, what your diet is or any of that…..as long as you perform. Is that right or wrong? It’s just the way it is………

• twinfan said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:18 am

So what inb Wilson’s performance merits your rant?

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:38 am

Seems kind of similar to how his shelving happened last year. “Just a tweak. Giving him a break” and them lands on the DL. What has he been doing in ST anyway?

23. twinfan said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:15 am

Tim made it a “big fucking deal” by bragging about it, even boasting that he didn’t eat the lettuce and tomatoes. He’s not “big on vegetables”. Nothing Tim says about this suggests it’s “occasional”, he touts this diet as how he’s gained weight this spring. Eleven pounds of additives and carcinogens.. ummmm good…

24. snarkk said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:24 am

A detour here, but Liz Taylor died yesterday. 79. She was a diva, the crazy marriages, and was sometimes clownish in her old age, but she did a lot of good works over the last coupla decades, and was a helluva good actress in her day. Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf is still one of my all time favorite movies. The acting in that is stunning, with material in those days that was near scandalous. And, if you see any photos of her in her youth, or take a look at her in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof or Giant — as a young woman she was just flat out smokin’. Beyond beautiful, IMHO. She woulda’ put any of these BBs to shame. No wonder Burton went apeshit over her…

• TedSpe said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:41 am

Well put. Odd thing is I looked up her movies on IMDb and she made nothing but crap after WHO’S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF. That’s a 44 year dry run!! And still, her rep, for what it was, never floundered. And you’re right, look at some of her swimsuit pictures from the ’50’s. Wowza!!

25. Unca Chuck said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:26 am

God, this is turning into the Splash. Whine whine whine.

Thing is, NO ONE really knows:

a) What or how Wilson took care of himself this offseason.
    b) If Timmy eats at In-n-Out more than once or twice a week.

Look at Michael Phelps for an extreme example. The dude eats around 13,000 calories a day and is likely one of the most physically fit guys in the world. Tons of bacon, pancakes, suasages, burgers, steaks, shakes, etc. Is all of it ‘healthy’? No. But it is a high protein diet.

• TedSpe said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:36 am

See my post in Room B

• snarkk said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:40 am

Chuck, for both of ’em you forgot the Bong hit for dessert…

• snarkk said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:41 am

Both = Phelps and Timmeh…

26. stixwiz said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:27 am

Contract negotiations between the Giants and Timmy and the team should put in a rider that they will provide him a list of live-in nutritionists, one of whom he can select and whose salary will be provided by the team. At 26 he shouldn’t need a babysitter, but until he gets his head screwed on tight regarding proper nutrition for a high-impact athlete, that’s just what the doctor ordered.

Yes, 20-somethings can get away with worse eating habits than those much younger and those getting into their 30’s. But i’d hate to see the situation arise in two-three years, where the Giants refuse to match his contract demands because they can see that he’s not grown up in his nutritional habits and starting to slide. Could happen.

S.F. and Seattle happen to be two of the greatest foodie scenes going. Forget her name right now, but that lady over in Berkeley sure got the fame she deserved with her locovore and nutritionally-based restaurant. Maybe she should adopt Timmy as a second son. Would make for an incredible human interest story. I’m sure she could provide him with sufficient intake to meet his caloric AND nutritional needs.

• TedSpe said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:38 am

Alice Waters

• Unca Chuck said, on March 23, 2011 at 11:30 am

Welcome to the mommy state. . .

27. dirtnrocksnreno said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:30 am

I didn’t think he bragged about it. He was answering questions from one of Baggs fill in guys. The Q and A covered a few different topics and diet was one of them. He acknowledged that it wasn’t the healthiest of choices.

Look, I agree that it isn’t a healthy diet. The money he’s pulling in he should have a chef on call. Considering Sandoval’s weight issues and Lincecum’s revelation the club should have a chef travel with them.

28. snarkk said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:32 am

Why is anybody ripping on Wilson or Timmy? These two dudes are main reasons why the Giants won it all. Wilson, by all accounts, works out like a demon. If he did some of that in Thailand, fine, whatever. Obliques, like shit, happens. We can crab at him if he’s still out or getting shelled in May. And I believe Timmy said he gets the In N Out stuff once a week, like a treat. If the Giants are worried about his cuisine, I’m assuming the trainers will address it with him, since they’re going to be spending well over $100 million on him in the near future, IF they can keep him. A good thing about this thread is that it must mean ST is almost over….

29. zumarust said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:36 am

There’s no evidence that Wilson was with hookers in Asia. He took a trip to Asia in the off-season. So what? He’s a multi-millionaire. I’d travel the world a lot myself if I was very wealthy.
    He only mentioned it because he was on a talk show and got asked about his off-season.

30. twinfan said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:48 am

He says thats how he gained 11 pounds. Unlikely that was on a once a week “occasional” binge. Anyway, originally I was just responding to the unproven allegation that Wison had neglected his off season regimen..

• Unca Chuck said, on March 23, 2011 at 11:31 am

With an unproven allegation of your own . . .

31. stixwiz said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:49 am

Coincidences. Congruences. Hey gang, i just checked out the Jeff Rense site and lo and behold, right there at the upper righthand corner is their staff artist, David Dees’ rendition of Timmy’s current diet plan extended perhaps five years into the future. Amazing!

Thanxs, Ted. Yes, Alice Waters. Helluva food guru. If the Giants had a really, really good P.R. man he’d hook her up with Timmy and get those cameras rolling. What a San Francisco treat. Cross-Bay special. The best meets the best. Interactive. World class.

32. stixwiz said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:51 am

What is it about today’s BB that got my mind to itching and then getting it? Her pose reminds me much, much of a certain unnamed Giant’s batting stance.

• TedSpe said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:56 am

ha ha

33. Rough Trade said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:57 am

I don’t think it’s a recent or infrequent thing with him. He tells Ostler his favorite is not In ‘out but…

“Dick’s,” Lincecum said. “I’m biased toward Dick’s. (Pause, laugh.) That sounds really bad. … It’s just what I grew up around. I like the greasy burgers with the greasy fries, and they’re the greasiest.”

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/03/16/SP4H1ID752.DTL#ixzz1HRkG9Mwp

Tim does come across as bright, but spoiled. I’m the same body type though and could eat anything without putting on weight. The issue is performance and durability. Fast food once

• Rough Trade said, on March 23, 2011 at 11:00 am

help wanted: editor

34. Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 11:03 am

I don’t remember the specific words he used in that interview, but he did refer to massage parlors or getting lots of massages or whatever and that comment was met with a wink-wink chortle from Lopez and the audience and Wilson didn’t do anything to refute it, it was like he was trying to get that reaction. BUt again, I’d have to watch the clip again to remember all of it, but that’s how I recall it…..

35. Kevin said, on March 23, 2011 at 11:06 am

Maybe her hair is so long it covers her assests!!

• Kevin said, on March 23, 2011 at 11:07 am

Spell check Assets

36. Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 11:08 am

seems to me that he’s doing everything he can to making references to Thailand’s sex trade but you can decide for yourself.

• TedSpe said, on March 23, 2011 at 11:24 am

Could have been worse. I remember cringing because Thailand has a disgusting lure for pedophiles and I remember thinking when I saw this “Please don’t, please don’t…” Phew.

37. Unca Chuck said, on March 23, 2011 at 11:36 am

Big fucking deal. Getting happy-ending massages is bad for the obliques?

I don’t see the connection. By all intents and purposes, Wilson is a workouit maniac. Affelt has torn both obliques. That must mean he’s a sex freak.

BW took a trip to Thailand, and hinted at stuff. Wow. That totally fucked him over for the season.

If you haven’t noticed, the dude likes to say and do weird things for comic effect. How a vacation derails his season escapes me.

38. Unca Chuck said, on March 23, 2011 at 11:39 am

A food rider for Timmy? Jesus Christ, have all you guys left the planet?

Welcome to the mommy state.

I guess BW needs a chaperone to keep him from visiting massage parlors foreign countries.

39. Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 11:40 am

Belt, Britton Face Different Cutoff Dates
    By Tim Dierkes [March 23 at 1:19pm CST]
    A week ago I wrote that a player’s free agency could be delayed a year by calling him up on April 11th or later, making it impossible for him to accrue more than 171 days of service time. It turns out that I was only partially correct.

The April 11th date only applies if the player is not on the 40-man roster right now. For example, Brandon Belt could be promoted by the Giants on April 11th or later and his free agency would be delayed until after the 2017 season, because he is not currently on the 40-man. One related note – if he was called up exactly on that date, and thus fell one day short of the 172 needed for a year of service, his agent would probably file a grievance. There’s also the possibility of a one-game playoff allowing him to pick up that extra day of service time anyway. So it makes sense to leave a little space.

40. Bozo said, on March 23, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I don’t know if you guys read this article in the Merc. They talk to Affeldt about oblique injuries. He’s had two that were torn (Wilson’s is just strained). About how it can happen by just turning the wrong way and why he felt Wilson came to camp in great shape (BW kicked Affeldt’s ass running up Camelback Mountain the first week of camp).

41. blade3colorado said, on March 23, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Didn’t he also “school” Zits the year before last, insofar as having Zits train with him at his home in S. California? Both the Clown and Unca are right – BW may be a flake, but he is a workout fanatic and is all business between the white lines.

42. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 23, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Tweet from Baggs: Bad news on Brian Wilson’s oblique. Tried to play catch but “didn’t feel as good as we hoped he would, so we backed him off,” Bochy said.

He’s not gonna be ready for Opening Day. This is either the fault of Thai hookers, In-N-Out or Charlie Sheen.
    Losers!

43. Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 12:39 pm

shocker.

44. Unca Chuck said, on March 23, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Just got back from in-n-Out. Only one double double. Got to work my way to playing shape.

45. Bozo said, on March 23, 2011 at 12:54 pm

All this talk of In N Out and Thai hookers has gotten me kinda…. Hey, how about dem Giants.

46. Unca Chuck said, on March 23, 2011 at 12:59 pm

“No time for the old in-n-out, luv. I’m just here to check the meters . . .”

• Bozo said, on March 23, 2011 at 1:49 pm

And the first thing that flashed into my gulliver was that I’d like to have her right down there on the floor with the old in-out, real savage.

47. Unca Chuck said, on March 23, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Yes, Dennis. Media exposure leads to oblique injuries . . .

48. dirtnrocksnreno said, on March 23, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I had 2 double doubles at lunch cause Timmy told me too. I brushed my teeth after though.

49. dirtnrocksnreno said, on March 23, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Utley with a bum knee and now Oswalt takes one in the neck from a line drive. Philly? Pfffft.

50. Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Howard will go down early this year, too…..

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on March 23, 2011 at 1:36 pm

It is looking more and more likr the biggest competition for SF will be in the NL West. I guess Atl or Stl may be clubs to keep an eye.

51. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 23, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Keep wishing ill will on others as our own keep dropping from flies.

Tweet from Schulman: Cody Ross just pulled up lame running in to catch a line drive. He’s coming out of the game.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 23, 2011 at 1:37 pm

“like” flies.

I’m so pissed I can’t even get my metaphors right. Something tells me we can change that SF on our cap to a DL.

52. Unca Chuck said, on March 23, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Fuck! Oswalt’s on my FF team !

Noooooooooooo!!!

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 23, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Hey, Chuck. It was a line drive off the bat of Manny Ramirez that knocked out Oswalt.
      Guess whose team Manny’s on? Heeeeee!

53. Unca Chuck said, on March 23, 2011 at 1:41 pm

These guys should all take a page from Miggy . . .

54. Unca Chuck said, on March 23, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Depending on what’s up with Ross, Row Row gets a reprieve . . .

55. Kevin said, on March 23, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Well it is another slow day cause we are all complaining about shit that is happening in ST. The season is 162 games. I would rather have these lame injuries now than in oh say Sept or Oct.

56. Kevin said, on March 23, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Now Tim giving up 5 runs in the 1st, now that is something to talk about. Elbow??

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 23, 2011 at 2:10 pm

It was Cain who gave up the 5H, 5R in the first…

• Kevin said, on March 23, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Yeah, I need to proof read before I hit post

57. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 23, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Rt. calf strain for Ross. Don’t know the extent. I guess that’s better than a hammy or a groin injury.

58. Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 2:47 pm

not really. Beltre has been hobbled by a calf strain for weeks. It just all depends.

59. zumarust said, on March 23, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Mitch Williams, on MLB network last night, was talking about the apparent rise in oblique injuries in recent years, and had a kind of counter-intuitive statement. He said it’s basically the nuisance that teams have to put up with because the players are in BETTER shape these days, with better muscle tone. And then he said something like: “I never had an oblique injury. Fat doesn’t get pulled.”

• zumarust said, on March 23, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Williams was talking about pitchers in particular.

• TedSpe said, on March 23, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I’ve heard that about all athletes. Like muscle tears. These guys have such BIG muscles, it hurts more and takes longer to heal than some sunken chested dweeb such as myself.

60. Unca Chuck said, on March 23, 2011 at 3:21 pm

So far, my FF team has Chase Utley out with w knee injury, Evan Longoria has the squirts, and now Oswalt gets hit in the neck by a line drive.

At least i don’t have any stinkin’ Dodgers . . .

• Rough Trade said, on March 23, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Squirts?

• Rough Trade said, on March 23, 2011 at 3:57 pm

On second thought, nevermind.

61. Unca Chuck said, on March 23, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Then again, I didn’t get any Giants either . . .

62. stixwiz said, on March 23, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Dennis, you happy yet? Hope. Hope. Giants are taking it in the shorts again. Now its Cainer. You were wishing for this. Hope it doesn’t get habitual and that it gets evacuated quicker than Longoria’s squirts. Losing is bad. Getting humiliated is worse. Yes, its still only ST, but it is the serious portion of the warm-up.

Injuries all over baseball. Yes, a lot of these dudes are waaay too muscled up. Should stick to swimmer’s builds and not iron pumpy. Ray Durham comes to mind here. He was so overbuilt, that muscle pulls and tears were simply waiting to happen. Bodies get too rigid they lose the sense of play. Uptight, we usta say back in the day.

• Unca Chuck said, on March 23, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Outa sight . . .

• Kevin said, on March 23, 2011 at 4:05 pm

God you guys are older than dirt!!

• ewisco said, on March 23, 2011 at 4:16 pm

baby, everything is all right.

• Bozo said, on March 23, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Worse than that Kevin, some of us are older than water.

63. dirtnrocksnreno said, on March 23, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Well, I am young compared to this group.

64. TedSpe said, on March 23, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Solid, Jackson

65. Kevin said, on March 23, 2011 at 4:45 pm

A loss today, 8-0?? is the Giants offense coming down to earth??

• zumarust said, on March 23, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Someone on the MLB network had a quote recently where they were talking about how football has the “West coast offense,” and in baseball now there’s something that could be called “West coast baseball.” Great pitching, in pitcher’s ballparks, a la the Giants, Padres, Dodgers, and A’s. It’s a winning formula. The Giants are going to have the occasional ugly game on the road during the season, especially in the bandboxes. They aren’t a team built to win slugfests.
      Dominate at home, .500 on the road, and then print playoff tickets.

• zumarust said, on March 23, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I would add- then when the playoffs start, a lot of the bandboxes are then in colder weather, and play larger.

66. paulinasia said, on March 23, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Bummer about Wilson’s oblique. But blaming it on a trip to Thailand is just silly. Travelers of both genders (and anything in between) go to Thailand for several reasons: the food, the earth/sea scapes, the interesting culture, and the at-the-ready companionship, which covers a very wide range of options, none of which you can really apply western values and thinking and judgment. It’s the way life is there. Thai massage = breakfast of champions. If anything, any romps through Thailand that Wilson did might have made him stronger.

67. Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Driving home from dinner in Los Altos and I just caught my first listen to Byrnsie’s radio show. Now, I like Eric, so I’ll try to be kind. For starters, someone needs to tell him to stop yelling into the microphone. He doesn’t talk like that in real life. Secondly, he needs a co-host. His amped-up schtick doesn’t work as a solo gig…….
    Having said that, I liked the 10 minutes I heard for one reason: he’s going to say things that other radio hosts aren’t going to say. And that’s refreshing. His bit about why he never took steroids (“because I didn’t want my package to shrink”) was totally juvenile but it was a genuine delivery and he built it up pretty well. He’s not going to be for everyone but I like the fact that he’s different. And I’m telling you, though he sounds like a stupid california beach nut, he’s not. And he knows baseball so I think he’ll be fine…….
    Paul: That’s all well and good and I’m sure there a thousand reasons to go to Thailand. But it’s idiotic to pretend their isn’t a huge sex-trade industry there and we can judge that however we want. And Wilson made countless references to it in his interview. And I really could give a shit about the morality of it. All I’ve done is raise the possibility that Wilson spent more time partying and marketing himself this Winter than he did preparing himself for the season. And the fact that he’s been hurt twice already this Spring is at least an inkling of a clue that he might not have gone through his regular off season routine this year. What’s wrong with me noticing this????

• unca chuck said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Because it isn’t based on anything but speculation.

68. dirtnrocksnreno said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Whoa. Flav, is it just iPad or did WP roll out a whole new interface?

69. Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:07 pm

probably the iPad, it looks the same to me. Why, WTF are you seeing, lol

70. dirtnrocksnreno said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:10 pm

It’s totally different. BB gone. POTD gone. Last 5 threads posted in a single menu. It’s fucking crazy man!

71. Mega Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:46 pm

That could be wordpress but it looks the same to me so I think it’s an ipad thing. I’m off ipad’s btw. Every website I go to doesn’t load. Fuck that.

72. paulinasia said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Ah, BF, nothing wrong with you noticing this, that was not directed at you; I just wonder, how long was he actually in Thailand? Not the entire off-season, I’m sure. If he spent all of December and January just fucking around, ok, but my point was, doing whatever he did in Thailand for what, a week?, two weeks?, would hardly be disruptive of his normal off-season routine. And it sounds like some people have been a little judgmental that he was enjoying himself in a “sex trade” country (as opposed to just picking up hookers in the Tenderloin?)….

Every country has a sex trade. This includes the horrible practices of “buying” teenage girls from the countryside and selling them to mafia or other “organizations” who control them like slaves. That certainly happens in Thailand. But most of the sex trade there is by choice and they are not underage girls. Imagine a young woman named Nui, who grew up in Isaan, the northeast part of Thailand that is nothing but rice farms and poor farming families. The families want boys, who can work the fields. Girls are commodities without much value. If Nui stays there, chances are she will be treated badly by drunk uncles and village boys, pregnant and worse from unprotected non-consensual sex, etc. If she goes to the city or resort destinations, she might or might not be a hooker, maybe just a bar girl or masseuse, but if she is having sex, it’s with foreigners who generally will treat them much better than the men at home: safe sex, no beatings, money for the family back home, and if they’re lucky, they actually marry some of these men they meet and it gets them out of the game. They return home to visit the countryside, and they are like superstars, because they have paid for a new house for the family, etc.

Anyway, sorry for this lengthy expose’… I guess I just highly doubt Wilson was over there for very long and abusing 12 year olds. Hopefully he just enjoyed his overseas holiday AND also kept himself in shape. You’re right – it looks suspicious with his back and oblique problems this spring. Let’s just hope he heals up and gets into shape soon, and I’m guessing he will.

73. unca chuck said, on March 23, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Since Ross laid low, does that mean hes didn’t work out properly.

74. Mega Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:05 pm

The Thai trip was one thing. The Late night shows. The costumes. all the YouTube shit…..You guys are looking at this in terms of one event. That’s not my argument. I’m saying he spent an entire off season doing whatever the fuck he wanted to do and most of that didn’t involve taking care of his core and engaging in his normal off season routine. My obvious theory is that this led to not being prepared for the season which is supported by two core injuries in ST. Fuck the hooker shit and the costumes. I don’t care about any of it for a second….until he can’t answer the bell when the season starts…..

75. Mega Flavor said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:14 pm

PAul: I really do appreciate the detailed post. I know you have a perspective that no one else has here and that has automatic value. But I have an 8 yr old daughter and none of what you posted tonight means anything to me. I would execute any man that violated her if she were underaged or non compliant. End of story….

• paulinasia said, on March 23, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Of course you would, as you should. That’s part of what I meant about applying western values for how things are “over here”… it’s just different. And you’re right, up to now, Wilson has not sufficiently answered the bell.

• twinfan said, on March 23, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Your entire take on Wilson is 100 percent bullshit.