A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Play Ball……

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 31, 2011

I’m hardly one to ever bring the slightest bit of attention to myself (by the way, my new nickname is *Big Shady*— please make a note of it) but it’s “Prediction Day” and time for a “look at me” moment. In truth, this will be the lamest Prediction Day since we started doing them back in 2007. Back then, we actually could form some genuine disagreements on how good or bad the team was. I came in with 74 wins that year (took a lot of heat for that ‘doomer view, by the way) and I wasn’t too far off as they stumbled in with 71. The next year I thought they were in complete disarray and predicted they’d win 63. They were, in fact, pretty bad but not as bad as I thought and they won 72. 2009 was an easy call, I knew they’d win 88 and that’s what they did. Bingo–on the freakin’ nose, baby….but I digress……

By the beginning of last season, everyone was pretty much on board (I said 90 wins) and we were all pretty much clumped together in the late 80’s—early 90’s win total area. I think Ed and Stix both nailed it cold with 92 (correct me if I’m wrong or if I overlooked your 92 call) and then of course there was the “Perfection Prediction” from That Fucking Clown who told us we would be winning the world series in 2010. That man knows his predictions……

This year, frankly, will be a little underwhelming. If we were all clumped together LAST year I can only imagine what 2011 will look like as we prepare to defend our world series title as WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS OF THE WORD. But what the hell, it don’t cost nothin’, throw yours into the wind and see which way it blows…….

I’ve already said that I think we are going to start the season slowly. With 22 of our first 33 on the road and Brain Wilson and Cody Ross sidelined we are in for an uphill battle in April. We also have to deal with the obvious new issue of all teams gunning for us–when the WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS shows up in your yard, you are trying just a little harder to take that team down. And there’s a risk of us playing a little tight as we adjust to this new role of WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS OF THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD (sorry, I’ve probably repeated that title to myself in my head about 5 million times since Cruz swung through that pitch). And with little information coming out about Zito’s car accident from last night, I will avoid giving you my opinion on his impact on the first 60 days of the season and just hope the best for him that he isn’t seriously injured…….

With all that said, I think we start out 15-18 over our first 33. Not a great start but nothing to panic over. The baseball season is a long haul and after our first 33 we have 129 to go with most of those at home. So while I think the Spring is going to drag a little I think we turn up the volume big time across the Summer months. We’ll have to go 77-52 after our slow start but I don’t see any reason what we can’t do that and end the year with another 92 wins. So that’s how I see it fellas. Toss your number into the ring……

1. twinfan said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I don’t think you do much bunting with a guy who had 60+ extra base hits.

• Kevin said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Will/can Torres repeat that?

2. stixwiz said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Three positives to be taken from the game: No. 3: Mark DeRosa can provide quality A.B.’s from the bench. No. 2: Timmy can wriggle out of those situations where he gets dinked. Any run support and he wins waaay more often than not. No. 1: Brandon Belt is a keeper. Easy to understand why the Brass decided to make him their opening day first baseman. Quality A.B.s against one of the toughest loogies in the game. That was one of two areas of concern. With his presence and his speed, i see him as a nearly perfect #2 hitter. Franchez bats 7th and Tejada 8th ~ or vice versa. This should happen within 3-5 weeks as Bochy is convinced the kid can handle the pressure.

3. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Our Ps do the worst goddamn job of holding runners on. Son of a bitch. That’ s what’cha get for walking the lead off guy. And Buster needs a refresher course on how to throw the ball on a line. His ball winds up further off target than a Tiger Woods drive.

4. twinfan said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:42 pm

He’ll never bat second, IMO. I see Burrell sliding to 7 Tejada to 8. Belt and Panda become the 5 and 6 hitters.

5. PawlieKokonuts said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I almost forgot how much this torture grinds me up. Almost forgot. Must call upon my baskingious DNA.

6. Kevin said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:49 pm

29 pitches???

7. Kevin said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Will they pinch hit for Tejada?

8. PawlieKokonuts said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:50 pm

C’mon, Broxton. Pitch your way into Don Mattingly’s doghouse.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Baby Huey is a NO Whitey fantasy team member. I’ll gladly bend over and take one for the team.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:55 pm

There’s one. Need one more. I’m still bending over.

9. blade3colorado said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Giants will get to Broxton.

10. twinfan said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Kershaw is a legit Cy candidate.
    I forget who brought it up but one pitch into the Yankee game Sutcliffe declared that Sabathia was “well on his way” to another excellent season..

• PawlieKokonuts said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:53 pm

and I thought my opening day vision was skewed…

Posey almost had himself a double.

11. twinfan said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Buster jogging to first?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I’d like to poke him with a cattle prod.

C’mon, Belt.

12. blade3colorado said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:56 pm

“Looks like they are going to be good,” says Hershiser . . . Umm, except for that Pat the Bat homerun.

STFU Bulldog.

13. Kevin said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Fuck the announcer, already saying the Dodgers can compete with the World Series Champs

14. PawlieKokonuts said, on March 31, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Belt’s got balls.

15. TedSpe said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:01 pm

fuck ’em

16. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Whatever the outcome, our rook is getting a great education.

Fuck. Hung tough. Kid’s a keeper. Wake me when we get a fucking SHORTSTOP.

• Kevin said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I think Alex Smith might be looking fora job

17. TedSpe said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:02 pm

fuck the dodgers, fuck errors and fuck and espn

18. PawlieKokonuts said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:02 pm

bleh

19. TedSpe said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Mattingley gets his first win as a manager but can he do it…two times?

I mean in a row

20. twinfan said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Belt is clearly not overmatched. That’s not to say he won’t have his struggles but I think he’s seen the last of Fresno ..

• PawlieKokonuts said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I agree, most critically in that he already reminds me of Posey in the kind of batting adjustments he seems inclined to make; obviously a small sample but very mature approach

21. blade3colorado said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Only means that they aren’t going to go 162-0 . . . Get ’em tomorrow.

22. PawlieKokonuts said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:05 pm

coulda woulda shoulda; a sloppy game we still had within our grasp; as Stix pointed out, some positives amidst the gloom: Belt, DeRosa . . . searching for more . . .

23. ferrethead said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Ah man, I HATE losing to the fucking Dodgers!!!!

Go get ’em tomorrow, guys!!!! Go GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!

24. twinfan said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Didn’t I post so eloqently that we didn’t love this game for the wins and losses. OK,OK: I do like the wins a little better…

25. Flavor said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Not a bad game at all— stupidity from both Posey and Panda in the same inning. But Timmy was Timmy, Burrell fucked Broxton again, we lost 2-1. Big fucking deal, those are OUR games, we did this all last year. And Twin’s right, Kershaw is a legit CY candidate. I drafted him as my FIRST pitcher on 3 of my 4 draft teams—didn’t get him in the Flap League cause that’s an auto draft (my fifth and final team). Offered Denny a trade for him after he spent a day pissing on himself over all the Dodgers he has on his team— he rejected the trade…….

26. Kevin said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Well, Like Blade posted not going 162-0, and that is something we all new. Splash does not understand that. I bet someone over there is saying the Dodgers are as good as the Giants, and saying theGiants are’t going to the big show.

27. Unca Chuck said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Panda tripped trying to get to the bag. It didn’t cost them anything anyway. Buster should have eaten the ball. THAT error was the biggest. Burrell is Burrel in the field as well . . .

This is the new Sunday night baseball team? Yikes. Valentine comes across as whiny and crass. Orel is Orel. Bleeeeh. Who’s the guys whose head is shaped like a bullet?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:39 pm

No, the error that preceded that errant throw by Buster was the biggest.

We need a goddamn shortstop.

• Unca Chuck said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:42 pm

If Tejada doesn’t start hitting, say hello to Emmanuel Burriss

28. Unca Chuck said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:29 pm

And Panda batting 8th is flat stupid. He’s not going to see a good pitch to hit. He doesn’t need to play his way out of the 8 hole. Tejada should be there. Tomorrow.

29. ferrethead said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Is it just me or does Burns totally BLOW on the radio?!?!?! Bleah, indeed!

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 12:23 am

Not just you. He was pretty good as color man with Miller in ST. But on sportsphone post game, wow, he’s had a slow start. Hope he gets better, and soon. Still, I think he can be better eventually than FP Santangeroid, the 43 year old teenager….

30. blade3colorado said, on March 31, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Yeah, I don’t get Panda being stuck batting 8th. I also agree with Stix regarding Belt batting 2nd . . . He battles on every pitch and per a discussion I had with Flav via email, apparently he has a good pair of wheels to motor around the bases and steal them too.

• twinfan said, on March 31, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Fruckie is the two. You don’t stick an RBI guy in the two.
      The best LU until Ross returns:
      Torres
      Fruckie
      Huff
      Posey
      Belt
      Panda
      Burrell
      Tejada

31. ewisco said, on March 31, 2011 at 10:27 pm

i remember last year when everyone had panda penned in at the three spot. if you could get him up there again with huff, posey then belt or burrell, that would be a happy thing. tejada, he hits 8.

but right now they need a professional hitter in the 3-hole. it still leaves tejada 8.

32. Del Mar Dennis said, on March 31, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Stat o’ the night: Dodgers threw 135 pitches, 29 to Belt. That’s 21 percent to one guy.

Not too shabby for a kid making his MLB debut. Very impressed with his plate discipline, poise and ability to fight off and work the count in hopes of getting “his pitch.”

There are some guys who you can just look at tell that they can hit. Brandon Belt, kid can hit.

33. stixwiz said, on April 1, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Not bad piece on Yahoo Sports MLB coverage by Tim Brown ~ a feature about Giants offense being as light last night as Tim Flannery’s lucky RedTail Hawk feathers. But not to worry, says: They are the Champs.