A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

The Good, The Bad and The B-A-S-K-I-N-G

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 1, 2011

Get ready for games like this all year. I don’t mean the score, but the energy and the way teams are gunning for us–that’s going on all year. If we lost 10 in a row and head into Minute Made Park, the Astros would be as pumped as they can get to take down the World Champions. We wear the target 24/7……

The Good:

Brandon Belt: I am obsessed with players who take pitches and walks. OBSESSED. Besides the obvious benefits of working a count in your favor and piling pitches on to a pitcher’s arm and getting a pitcher into the stretch, getting on base is sort of an essential pert of the game and you can’t do that trying to hit line drives all day long. Brandon Belt did it all last night in terms of taking pitches and working counts. Grade: A-

Timmy: He wasn’t as dominating as Kershaw but he was awfully good and he hit Uribe which is also good if you like story lines and the rivalry. Grade: B+

Pat the Bat: He sent me right back to last July when he sent that laser beam into the left field bleachers at ATT. I said it then and I stand by it: that was the loudest I’ve ever heard it at ATT (I was sitting near the bricks down the RF line). Of course, he also made an error but that’s what you get with The Bat–hitting and fucking up in the field. Grade: B

Pablo: He made a great catch in the 6th, it was a catch he doesn’t come close to making last year. Grade for losing Weight in the Offseason: A+

The Bad:

That 6th inning Laurel and Hardy play by Posey and Pablo. Assuming Pablo didn’t give Posey an automatic signal to throw I’d say that play was 75% on Buster, 25% on Pablo (Pablo did seem to half heartedly call for the throw but Posey’s decision to throw it, as well as the throw, was atrocious). Grade: F

Tejada: His throw to 2nd was a joke and he went 0-4. He also looks old. Grade: F-

The Batters (minus Belt and Pat the Bat): It was Opening Day so I’ll cut them a little slack but they were ridiculously impatient, refusing to take pitches and swinging at anything Kershaw threw up there. Pablo looked especially bad and the ESPN announcers were almost rude in how they attacked him for it. Unfortunately, he fed their attack with a few examples of his most absurd, wild off balance swings I’ve ever seen. Grade: D-

If this were last year, a loss like this would have bothered me more. I simply haven’t built up enough stamina to perseverate on a loss. We are the World Champions and the b-a-s-k-i-n-g continues on…….

Current Flap Fantasy League Standings:

10. Bladerunners 66.5 0 10 5
11. Ferretball 64 0 14 3
12. IrishGiants 59 0 4 3
13. Berra’s Bombers 55 0 13 5
14. Unca’s Army 48 0 8 3

1. Flavor said, on April 1, 2011 at 6:11 am

“Dodgers GM Ned Colletti confirmed that he and Andre Ethier’s agent, Nez Balelo, have had vague discussions about a contract extension for the outfielder, tweets Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times.”
    Hmmmm. I wonder what that looks like..
    NedC: “Hey, Nez, looks like ya got something on your mind…”
    NB: “Hmmmm, maybe. Thinking about money. Lots of it.”
    NedC: “Oh yeah?”
    NB: “You know, Ethier thinks about money, too.”
    NedC: “no kiddin?'”
    NB: “Yep. that’s my client, thinking about money, all day long. He’s probably thinking about it right now.”
    NedC: “yup.”
    NB: “”a dollar doesn’t go as far as it used to, ya know?”
    NedC: “preaching to the choir, baby”
    NB: “Well Ned, I gotta go. Gonna go talk to Andre about things that make him happy. Gonna talk to him about security and commitment and appreciation and money and stuff like that/ See ya”
    NedC: “Great talkin’ to ya, Nez….”

• blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2011 at 6:22 am

Does anyone recall which one of the idiot announcers said something to the effect, “Belt doesn’t have a fast bat, but he takes advantage of swinging early on curve balls?”

Not certain which one said it, but it was stupid . . . The kid was going against an excellent pitcher and battled him on every pitch. I wish I could remember who said it . . . Shit, it might have been on Baseball Tonight after the game.

• TedSpe said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:26 am

No, I heard something like that in the 9th inning during his AB. ESPN twats

2. Giant Head said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:06 am

Only thing that bothered me besides the obvious error by Tejada, was batting Panda 8th.

If they want him to be a patient hitter, he is going to have to hit in a spot where he will see pitches. Hitting 8th, oppopsing pitchers will be incentived to throw junk after junk. We want Panda to get to a fast start. Have him hit third, Posey 4th, Huff 5th…

• TedSpe said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:31 am

I don’t know, GH. Having him bat 8th seems a little weird but a 7-8 hitter with talent can to a shitload of damage. If you have a talented roster, batting spot makes little or no difference

• Giant Head said, on April 1, 2011 at 8:37 am

I think the key here is to get Panda fast start and I think hitting 3rd in front of the patient and powerful Posey will force pitchers to throw him pitches if Panda lays off the junk.

I could see pushing Panda lower in the orde rlaetr, but we want the kid’s head on right and getting the chance to crush the ball and show him some confidence…Tejada is going to be hitting 8th sooner or later…

Maybe Bochy wanted Panda hitting 8th against a lefty and will push him up in the order against righties…

• TedSpe said, on April 1, 2011 at 8:59 am

Point taken

3. xootsuit said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:07 am

I heard one of the announcers describe Belt’s “slow minor league bat,” while opining that Broxton could just blow him away with a FB. Broxton then tried to do so, and Belt fouled it back. Then Broxton threw a pretty good back foot breaking ball, which Belt fould down. (It bounced around in Barajas’s groin area for a while; nice punch to get in.) One of the announcers then said, almost with regret: “Well, it looks like the young man has figured out the breaking ball now.” I was paying attention to Belt, not the announcers, so all that shit was in the background. I’m not sure which of them uttered which condescending idiocy. I’m sure I’ll find reasons to avoid non-Giants games on espn this season, so I doubt that I’ll ever figure out which asshole is which on that broadcasting crew.

Even more than the few good swiings and takes, the look on Belt’s face, in his eyes, during that final AB gave me nothing but respect and expectation for the kid. Cain, Lincecum, Posey and Bumgarner all have character qualities that match their amazing talents. Is it possible the Giants have found another kid like that? It is. We’ll see.

• blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:18 am

Thanks Xoot . . . I knew I wasn’t dreaming it. Like you, I was busy with something else and it was background noise.

• TedSpe said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:28 am

Just to be clear, when I said “no” earlier, blade, I just meant no to Baseball Tonight. Because “Yes”, I heard it too. ESPN pricks

• Giant Head said, on April 1, 2011 at 8:39 am

I think it was Valentine that was singing Belt’s praises on “figuring” out the breaking ball. I am not a big Bobby Valentine fan (actually dont care for him at all), but he stuck with the Giants last year in the playoff predictions, so he is a fair judge…

4. TedSpe said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:33 am

I’m at a point where I don’t give a shit if they lose them all on this road trip. It’s sooooooooo fucking early. But April 8th and 9th…that’s game on!

5. blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:42 am

Yes, thanks Ted (I understood ya) . . . Like Chuck said last night, all of them were a bit arrogant and Valentine (who I like as a manager) came off as a smarmy wise ass.

6. dirtnrocksnreno said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:44 am

Test

7. Nipper said, on April 1, 2011 at 8:19 am

Fantasy league standings……Chuck at the bottom. I like it! Bleep it!

8. Big Shady said, on April 1, 2011 at 8:20 am

can we get the results of that test, Dirt?

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on April 1, 2011 at 11:14 am

Something about the latest iPad update has totally fucked up my view of wordpress. Couldn’t even see comments this morning.

9. Rough Trade said, on April 1, 2011 at 8:23 am

Didn’t have the sound on for much of the game, but during Belt’s last ab against Broxton the announcers were giving Belt high marks.

More torture tonight? In 5 games against Billingsley last yr, G’s hit an impressive .160 with a .208 slg.

10. Rough Trade said, on April 1, 2011 at 8:25 am

Casilla should also get a failing grade last night. Walking Kemp after he had him 0-2 is inexcusable.

11. willied said, on April 1, 2011 at 8:26 am

how come so little mention of Casilla’s role in all this? He’s in to pitch an inning and immediately gives up the always important insurance run, on a walk/steal/double, all of which totally on him.

Hersh and Valentine are unlistenable. Orel is always lecturing like a prof, and Valentine reminds me of arrogant/sarcastic type that always thinks he is smartest guy in any room. I’m sure last year he thought SF was still a big bat away from contending for anything. I”m sure Miller is glad he doesn’t have to listen to either of these guys.

12. twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 8:35 am

I have NEVER heard anyone try to even partially blame a horseshit throw on the “recipient”. It was 100 percent on Buster, which he acknowledged. You can’t ignore Casilla when grading the team’s performance. That was obviously a huge run he gave up, set up by a walk after he was 0-2 on Kemp. And a side note: Timmy does absolutely none of the things a pitcher can do to help himself, his poor bunt being a prime example. It costs him 2 or 3 wins a year.

• Big Shady said, on April 1, 2011 at 8:47 am

well than you weren’t listening to ESPN. They made a point of how Pablo is the vet and he can’t go asking for the ball the way he did. I disagree to a point with them but Pablo DID ask for the ball. He shook his glove twice at Buster.

• twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 8:59 am

That doesn’t have shit to do with the poor throw and Buster contradicts the announcer AND you. He thought he could catch the runner napping.

13. twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 8:41 am

Didn’t see the other remarks on Casilla…he might need reminding that Edlefson and Kroon are available.

14. dirtnrocksnreno said, on April 1, 2011 at 8:57 am

Tough loss. Good pitching from la but SF beat themselves last night.

Twin, I agree that throw was all on Posey. You could see it in his face as the ball left his hand that he knew it was the wrong move.

It shouldn’t matter where Sandoval hits and he definately slipped back to bad habits at the plate last night.

Opening day jitters all around.

15. snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:01 am

I’m wondering about the 8 spot for Pablo. Not down with it. The 8 spot gets shit to hit, and that ain’t good for Panda…

16. Kevin said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:03 am

I see we are already arguing over who did what and whose fault it was. It was one fucking game. Except for Tejada and Casilla, that other stuff is correctalble. BS…shit I lost my train of thought, thinking about how before Craig changed his screen name everyone refered to him as BF, now it will be BS. Don’t know why but I found that amusing only because I am surprised that TwinFan didn’t make a comment on it.

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:11 am

I did…

17. zumarust said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:05 am

Giants baseball- more torture! Ha! It has to be that way. You know why? Because it’s West Coast Baseball! The Giants, Dodgers, Padres, and A’s are going to win a bunch of games 2-1, 3-1, and 1-0 this season, and its playoff baseball. Great pitching, in spacious ballparks, and just enough hitting. It’s the future of baseball- by going retro. We’re back to the mid-1960s, when a pitcher could go 24-3, and still not win the Cy Young.
    You gotta play the D, though. And the Giants shocked us with some Keystone Kops stuff last night. Way out of character for them. I don’t expect to see that very often.
    —-
    The leftside of the infield was way too impatient in the batter’s box, as many of you noted. Pablo reverted to the ’10 Pablo. He needs to be careful. I think Bochy/Sabean are going to have him on a shorter leash than perhaps he realizes. De Rosa and Fontenot are eager for playing time.
    —-
    I’m disappointed that the blog site is continuing with the bikini women on into the baseball season. I thought that was just a countdown to the start of the season. I don’t get the point of continuing it on into the season.

18. twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:06 am

You people can’t be praising Buster as you do and then even partially blaming Pablo for a terrible decision and throw. Posey is the “captain” back there. The inference that that he HAD to throw the ball because Panda signaled for it is just flat moronic. The decision is all his, period. He fucked up.

• willied said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:30 am

Agreed, it’s more the decision than the throw, low pct at best dangerous situation if a mistake happens. Kids in b-ball do stuff like this all the time, make a bad decision first that leads to a mistake and a turnover. Same with tejada…i think he got greedy and thought with a quick snap throw he had a chance to start a DP. If he straightens up and takes a little more time he had one out for sure, all u need.

19. dirtnrocksnreno said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:08 am

Baggs mentions that Torres is looking to hit for more power and he thinks he can hit 25 bombs. That is the last thing Torres should be worrying about. What the fuck?

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:13 am

Thank you. Exactly. That is a total head scratcher. He should be thinking of ways to increase his OBP, NOT his power numbers…

20. snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:10 am

Went to the Opening Day viewing party last night at ATT. Pretty cool. 2000+ on the Club Level. Got free pic with the Trophy (yeah, ticket to get in the event, tho’). Beware of $9.50 beers this year. Tour of visitor dugout and clubhouse. I did not know there are three phones in the dugout: to visitor GM, Pen, and Press Box. In a corner in the clubhouse, there is an old table top from the visitor’s clubhouse at the ‘Stick that was signed by all visiting squad players that came through there in the ‘Stick’s last year. Nice. The visitor clubhouse is not as plush as I thought. The tourguide had a funny: “This clubhouse is set up like the visitors are your relatives — nice enough for a 3-night stay, but they’ll want to leave after that…”

• TedSpe said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:31 am

Nice. $9.50 beers? Huh.

• xootsuit said, on April 1, 2011 at 12:05 pm

On the A’s sfgate blog this winter they posted a video of a guy at the Coliseum with a $10 jumbo beer cup and a $5 regular beer. He poured the regular into the jumbo and the space at the top of the transparent cup left, maybe, room for one ounce. I hope some guzzlers at China Basin make similar tests for us and post them.

21. TedSpe said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:12 am

I was taking last night’s loss in stride. But then I read this. Fucking HATE L.A.

• Decap said, on April 1, 2011 at 10:07 am

Terrible… at least I have one thing to rub my dogger fans friends faces in….

22. twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:12 am

As far as Pablo reverting, it’s the same stuff he swung at when he hit .330. I said then, and I will again: he’s going to look terrible sometimes but he’s also going to hit HRs on balls at his shoetops and his visor. I have no idea where the fiction that he was a patient hitter in ’09 came from but it will make a nice novel..

• TedSpe said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:19 am

You are correct, sir. All that talk about him losing his “plate discipline” was bullshit. He lacked speed and aggression last year. He can hit a ball no matter where it’s thrown.

23. snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:32 am

Note from the ATT Opening Day Viewing Party last night. I’m in the Trophy pic line, watching the fans get their photo taken as I’m nursing my $9.50 Sierra Nevada. Old folks, hot chicks, yuppie dudes in suits, kids, babies, etc. Chick about 23-24 steps in (NOT BB material, unfortunately). As she poses for the pic in front of everybody, she pulls down her jeans WAY below the panty line on her right side — hello, picture-perfect “SF” logo. At that, I thought damn, “There IS Magic Inside!”…

• blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2011 at 10:04 am

I haven’t drank in decades, but I distinctly recall buying a case for under $10 . . . Now, you only get one? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA . . .

Now that I think about it, even a “lid” was $10.

24. Giant Head said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:35 am

I have no problem with Posey trying to make that play or even Panda calling for it if that was the case, it was a miserable throw from Posey. Looked like me throwing at Little League practice.

Kemp was lolly gagging and if they nailed him, we would all be singing the praises of what a great play that was if Panda was calling for it or not or if Posey did it on his own. If they got out of that inning without a run and Burrelll hits the homer, we have a new game!

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:44 am

Kemp was standing on the goddamn bag when he made the throw. Totally asinine on Buster part.
      I don’t know WTF his problem was last night. He sure didn’t look like the calm, cool and collected captain from last year.

• Giant Head said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:48 am

I thought Kemp was napping a little, looked like the throw if it had been on the money hip level, Panda could have nailed him with a quick tag. But I was drunk and half asleep:)

25. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:37 am

Fruckie gets a contract ext. for ’12 reportedly for $6M according to Schulman.

I say he hits the DL by April 6.

26. twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:38 am

It’s not Torres fault that he’s not really the prototypical lead off guy. As I noted last night, you don’t wanna do a lot of bunting with a guy who had 60+ extra base hits. The constant criticism from some has unpleasant undertones. This was one of the 3 or 4 most valable plaers in the NL according to both FanGraphs and Baseball Prospectus. Even just offensively, he was second only to Huff in VORP, slightly ahead of Golden Boy ( who might want to consider running out all his grounders).

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:50 am

WTF are U talking about? No, he is not a prototypical leadoff guy. But, he IS the leadoff guy. Leadoff guys are supposed to get on base. Trying to hit more HRs is not a goal for that spot. The power guys come after. As for “constant criticism” and “unpleasant undertones”, enough with the bull and the tiresome coded language…

• twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 10:15 am

Torres had more extra base hits than even Huff- that’s not a guy you bunt much with, nimrod. Can you figger that out? And a fat fuck couch potato ambulance chaser doesn’t question his bat choice.

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 10:33 am

I’m not fat. Not svelte, but decent enough shape for my age. Just because I made comments on Zito’s accident doesn’t mean I was a PI guy. Never was. So, ya whiffed on both, looks like you’re ready for the season. Thanks for calling…

27. stixwiz said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:39 am

Game was on Tejada, Castillo and Posey in that order of specificity. Tejada and Huff were the only regulars blank at the plate, with Huff hitting into a costly DP. Tejada’s throwing error was the breaker. Posey’s bad decision iced it.

My thought, hope, is that Bochy was putting Casilla on a short leash. In this case it may be the beginning of a lasso around his neck. I can think of no other reason why Bruce would have trotted him out in the 8th, with calmer relievers available. Eighth inning is not likely for that boy any more as the leash is both short and tight and potentially better options are currently riding the Fresnobus.

Kudos to Pat the Bat for the blast. He singlehandedly prevented the humbling from becoming a humiliation. Just a few more selective A.B.’s from these guys against Kershaw could have brought him out after six. LA has exactly one fully reliable reliever. One. He walked DeRosa, but just got the better of Torres. The next two went down quietly. So with a bit more of that “veteran” patience at the plate demonstrated by our 22 Y.O. R.O.Y. candidate, from the actual veterans, the Dogs may have been in a heap of trouble. Broxton proved that. Mattingly thanks the overanxious Giants hitters.

Casilla and Mota are my candidates for relievers on the bubble, to be made available in an early season trade. Could one or both of them along with a 3/4 salary buyout tempt some team to swallow that whatsisname with the weird stance?

28. snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 9:53 am

Why extend Franchez now? With his history of injury, I don’t get it. Especially with Culberson in ST looking pretty credible as a potential replacement…

• twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 10:19 am

Culberson hasn’t played above A-Ball, puddinghead. Expecting him to be the second baseman next year is hardly reaistic.

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 10:25 am

“Pretty credible” is not “expecting” him to start next year. The point is it’s way early to extend Franchez, as the season has barely started. And, at this time last year, you were predicting Brandon Belt would start yesterday at 1B? You’re welcome…

• twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 10:35 am

Culberson is hardly Belt.

• Rough Trade said, on April 1, 2011 at 10:53 am

Interesing the G’s have Noonan and Bond playing 2b for Richmond, while Culberson is listed on the San Jose roster. Also back in SJ is Brandon Crawford. Don’t know if that is current or subj to change…
        Burris is the only 2b at Fresno.

And FA 2b next yr? Pretty weak.

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 11:09 am

Guys, I’m not rippin on Franchez. I LIKE the guy. It’s the extend timing I’m questioning. Yeah, there is no apparent likely substitute for him NOW. But, there’s a long season ahead. Sabes is rolling the dice that he’s going to be durable this year, and next, against the risk of waiting to resign him in the offseason after a really good year, where in that case Franchez might command a multi-year deal with other suitors. I get the calculus, but to me, his injury profile balances the decision towards waiting ’til the offseason…

29. dirtnrocksnreno said, on April 1, 2011 at 10:07 am

April fools joke maybe?

1 year at $6M isn’t a bad move maybe they figure they got Huff around for another year and may as well have second locked down too.

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 10:13 am

Dunno, Reno. Maybe Schulman or Baggs will give us the public rationale. Seems way early to extend him on the second day of the season? I’ve backed Franchez through injuries because he’s produced when healthy, but that doesn’t mean I want him around any longer than necessary. This infield needs to get younger up the middle. I can’t imagine he’ll get LESS fragile with age…

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on April 1, 2011 at 10:34 am

Snarkk, True it is a bit early to ink him. I have been thinking that Sanchez will have a good year playing for a contract and all. It may have been better to keep him hungry chasing those dollars. He’s solid on the definsive side though and I don’t see him declining drastically at the dish in ’12. It’s not long term and a reasonable salary. I’m just saying I’m not opposed to this move.

30. stixwiz said, on April 1, 2011 at 10:36 am

With SS still the big question mark, looming more yet after last night, the notion of a Franchez extension is near-perfect by me ~ if for no other reason than his display of magic at 2B in the Championship finales. Never overlook the psychological effect of money in the bank. Six mil is monstrous huge for normal human beings. I’m sure it’s pretty big to the Runt. Ain’t gonna swell his ego ~ he’s not the type, but it will let him be positive that he’s wanted, needed and yes, loved.

He’ll produce.

31. twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 10:40 am

It’s a non-issue.

32. twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 10:49 am

Torres’ OPS, BTW, was more than 100 points higher than the MLB average for the lead off spot. Doubles and HRs are not unimportant because they come from the #1 spot. Taking his bat away for the drag bunt attempt doesn’t make sense…

33. TedSpe said, on April 1, 2011 at 10:52 am

And don’t forget, lead off jacks are very sexy. Chicks dig ’em.

34. dirtnrocksnreno said, on April 1, 2011 at 11:03 am

Twin, by commenting on Torres I meant that he should just play his game and not have a focus on increasing HRs. If he didn’t miss time last year he had a good shot at leading the league in doubles which is no small feet. Slugging is a part of his game but trying to hit homers often leads to trouble. There was no “unpleasant undertone” to my comment and I don’t appreciate your insinuation.

35. Nipper said, on April 1, 2011 at 11:04 am

If SNARKK is against something, it must be good and sensible.

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 11:17 am

I’m against Soph…

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 11:28 am

Nah, I really do LIKE Soph. You always confuse me, Nippy…

36. twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 11:05 am

I was referring to Snarkkles who always has an unpleasant undertone to his remarks.

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 11:13 am

Thanx, Little Miss Sunshine…

37. twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 11:15 am

Let’s get this straight: the MVP of the Giants last year was not Huff, Posey, Tim..it was the non-bunting heavy bat guy: Andres Torres. And it wasn’t close. Thank God that he does ” just play his game”….

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 1, 2011 at 11:33 am

No, the MVP of the Giants last year was none other than “Blockhead” himself. We don’t win squadoosh without Bochy.
      But if he bats Panda 8th again tonight, I’ll want him fired tomorrow.

38. TedSpe said, on April 1, 2011 at 11:30 am

What still put a smile on my face this morning was a picture in the Chronicle. Lincecum and Righetti standing in the dugout and there, prominently, on Lincecum’s jersey’s right sleeve, a WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS SF patch.
    In the immortal words of Ira Gershwin: “They Can’t Take That Away From Me”

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 1, 2011 at 11:46 am

“The way you wear your hat, the way you sip your tea. The memory of all that…”

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 11:48 am

In a glassed case along one of the walls at ATT, they have a presentation with Timmeh’s actual jersey worn during the clinching game 5 WS win. Pretty cool. I was struck by the gray color — on TV it looks rather muted, but 3′ away, it’s actually a very striking gray against the black numbers and orange stitching around the numbers….

39. twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 11:45 am

I’m not down with Sandoval batting 8 but at least I understand the logic. You absolutely want a guy there who will expand his strike zone….need I say more, dunderheads?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 1, 2011 at 11:52 am

What *I* would like and think it should be tonight…

Torres CF
      Fruckie 2B
      Huff 1B
      Buster C
      Panda 3B
      Pat LF
      Belt 1B
      Miggy SS
      Dirrrty P

That gives the skipper the perfect L-R-L combo that I know he so sorely desires…

• twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Well, Denny, you’ll give Miggy and the pitcher plenty of RBI opportunities…

40. eddacker415 said, on April 1, 2011 at 12:08 pm

that loss last night was all kershaw. like Mr. Berra said: good pitching beats good hitting every time. Sea biscuit was fine, Pablo was fine, Burrell will need to hit a lot of homers to cover up play like last night: day one he gets a mulligan and Brandon will be great once he gets over the shock of where he is! (with the)
    World Champion San Francisco Giants
    Go! Gigantes

41. xootsuit said, on April 1, 2011 at 12:18 pm

My guess is that when they inked the last extension to extend Freddy the Giants and Sanchez had an agreement in principle to extend at least one additional year if he came out of ST this season healthy and looking good. I’m tempted to say that a pretty credible source led me to that conclusion, but I don’t know what pretty credible means. Hot n true? Sorta honest sometimes? Somewhat promising?

• xootsuit said, on April 1, 2011 at 12:18 pm

well, “last deal to extend Freddy” would’ve sounded better. sorry.

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Well, one thing it doesn’t mean is Steve Hoskins’ testimony, especially after Dr. Ting finishes with impeaching, uh, I mean, “supporting” it…

42. Bozo said, on April 1, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Let me see if I have this right. We have a lead off hitter not working his way on, a shortstop to old to play his position, a relief pitcher not closing the door and a third baseman who swings at his shoe laces. For a second there I thought I was reading about opening day 2010. Just needed someone to say the catcher made a bad throw because of his big tits and it would have been complete.

43. Kevin said, on April 1, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Game 2, I will call it right now Giants will be 1-1 at the end of tonights game. Posey will be good to go as well as Pablo. Someone said it earlier, who is in the wings waiting for Tejada to implode?? that is the only position to worry about. Tejada looked awful. I know I get slammed for saying not to sign a vet over the age of 33 but I will say it anyway, this was a waste of money. I know it is ony one game but…

• blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Not into Tejada either . . . Past his prime, but he only has to do what he did last year, nothing more. Besides, the rest of the Gmen will compensate.

• TedSpe said, on April 1, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Sir, I doth slam thee

44. snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I nominate todays BB for HOTW, Hips of the Week…

45. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 1, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Brandon Belt’s nickname is ‘Jethro.’ Got it from his coach while at Texas. I know a few hillbillies myself that done grad-ge-ated the 6th grade. Only took three years.

• TedSpe said, on April 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm

46. snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Seattle PI reporting deal near sending Rohand and Nate to Mariners for Ichiro, Giants only eat $2M of Gamer’s deal.
    OK, check your calendar.
    Back at ya, Rough 🙂 …

47. stixwiz said, on April 1, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Enjoying the fact that it’s April, Snarkkster?

48. stixwiz said, on April 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Dirty Dawgs! A couple of “typical?” Dodgers fans attacked three Giants fans after the game last night. One guy wearing Giants gear was hospitalized immediately afterwards. Police don’t have a clue. As there were huge numbers of people milling around, some had to have cellphone cameras. Wonder if anything turns up or if birds of a feather flock together.

Bruce should give this one the juice in his motivational session this evening. I think the guy was released from the hospital, but what a P.R. move it would be for a couple Giants players to visit him there. In any event i’m hoping there’s a bit of Leo the Lip and Eddie the Brat is benign Bochy and he puts some zing into that thing: “Like, you guys supported us something beautiful in our Championship run. Now we got your back.”

Bochy does that this evening and i guarantee the championships will be back to back. Fuck Lady Billingsley. Belt him all over the place and Buster him up good and bad!

49. ewisco said, on April 1, 2011 at 3:24 pm

“Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me,
    My wife got tix to opening day
    section 110 row thirty three!!”

Shall we meet for beers, middle of the 5th?

• snarkk said, on April 1, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Forget the game, I want your wife…

• TedSpe said, on April 1, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Sweet

• twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Happy Birthday, E. Now the big question: is she going to ruin it by coming along 😉

• ewisco said, on April 1, 2011 at 6:02 pm

she said it was up to me, but she was cleaning the frying pan while she said it : )

What’s cool is that she’s become quite a fan. She was listening to the game on radio while watching it last night. i was coaching so didn’t get to see anything until the end. She was pissed at how sloppy they were.

• Kevin said, on April 1, 2011 at 6:28 pm

My birthday too!! don’t have tickets to the game though!, damn!

50. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 1, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Shoulda switched the Bat and Panda, but it’s an improvement. I’ll keep giving Bochy an earful till he gets it right.

Torres CF, F.Sanchez 2B, Huff RF, Posey C, Burrell LF, Sandoval 3B, Belt 1B, Tejada SS, J.Sanchez P

51. macdog said, on April 1, 2011 at 4:31 pm

From the Dodgers statement: “We’re committed to having the most fan and family friendly environment in baseball and will continue to make that a top priority.”

Later in the story: The stadium has been plagued by opening day violence in the past. In April 2009, a man stabbed his friend in the stadium parking lot after the home opener, in which the Dodgers beat the Giants 11-1.

That’s some commitment. I’d feel safer dressed in enemy garb at an Eagles game.

52. 3bagger said, on April 1, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Such bullshit. Being that my wife’s an A’s fan and they’re playing in Anaheim the same week the Giants play in LA in September, we were going to take the kids to the games sandwiched around a couple days at Disneyland. Not so sure now. Hell, my 14 year old got hit with a beer in the back of the head at Coors Field last season for doing nothing but wearing his Giants gear. In these big rivalry games, security needs to be stepped up. MLB has the money and technology to have 100 foot HD screens, but we can’t get security cameras in the parking lots and stands to protect the fans who pay for them? Fucking bullshit.

• xootsuit said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I assume the beer that hit your kid was just sloshing? I mean, they don’t sell cans of beer at Coors, do they? If it was a can, I hope you cliocked the fucker and then sued him for assault. Otherwise, ask TF about spilling beverages on hostile fans. Some willl tell you it’s ok, if it’s an “accident.”

53. twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I’m not sure we should be too holier than thou on ballpark violence. There have been beatings here as well..but who can forget Ten Cent Beer night in Cleveland? Here the Rangers run for their lives..
    beer

54. 3bagger said, on April 1, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I’m talking about any ballpark, not just Dodger Stadium.

• twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 5:30 pm

It wasn’t directed just at you, there been a few comments about violence at the Dodger park…I don’t recall if there were any fatalities but quite a few Dodger fans were beatten after the Morgan HR game.And I believe two young men were mudered whan they ran out of gas departing a game…

55. Unca Chuck said, on April 1, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Very good. Bochy saw his mistake and fixed it in a hurry.

That’s why he gets the big bux . . .

The skiing was great BTW . . .

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 1, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Nobody asked. How much did you drop at the blackjack tables? I hope you weren’t a cheapskate and tipped your waitresses well. Those poor girls are trying to pay their way through college. Or learn how to slide around a pole, I can’t remember which. But they’re busting their tails off.

If you’re still in Tahoe on Sunday, I’ll give ya the winner of the Florida Derby. And I’m not trying to wise and say that they ran on Saturday, they’re running the race on Sunday.

Have ya checked the fantasy league standings of late? That Brandon Lyon of yours is one helluva closer for the Astros.

• blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2011 at 5:51 pm

LQTM

56. Rough Trade said, on April 1, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I don’t know if it was a mistake. Sandoval didn’t hit well RH last yr, so you might see him in the 8th spot against lefties.

• Rough Trade said, on April 1, 2011 at 6:06 pm

.227 to be exact. Just idle speculation as to what Bochy was thinking. Might’ve just been a nod to a vet. We’ll see.

57. blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Josh Johnson has a no hitter thru 6.

58. Rough Trade said, on April 1, 2011 at 6:09 pm

You jinxed him.

• blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Probably. Grin.

59. blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2011 at 6:09 pm

pffft . . . so much for his no hitter.

60. Rough Trade said, on April 1, 2011 at 6:20 pm

There goes the shutout, too. You really put the hex on the SOB.

61. Kevin said, on April 1, 2011 at 6:31 pm

My birthday also, so a win tonight would be sweet. My son and daughter bought me a watch. G-shock, Atomic Solar.

62. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 1, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Happy B-Day, Kev. You share April 1 with Susan Boyle. Maybe she’ll be tomorrow’s BB.

Sounds like Zito is feeling better and likely will make his scheduled start on Sunday.
    I’ll let you be the judge if that’s a good thing or not.

63. blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Anyone know if the game is on free this evening via the internet; and, if so, where? Willied use to know all this stuff I believe.

64. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Barbara Billingsley has two complete game shutouts in his career. Both against the same team.
    I’ll give ya three guesses, and the first two don’t count.

Who has Barbara on their fantasy team?

65. DJLoo said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Actually Blade, I think it was wswinb4igo who was the king of that stuff. Looks like he lived up to his name…

• blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Thanks Loo . . . I haven’t seen him on here in a bit. I used 2 sites before, but for the life of me, I can’t recall the URL addresses/names.

• willied said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:21 pm

sorry blade, can’t help u. I don’t use those feeds. Comcast where I live has almost every game somewhere, on the bundled system (landline, comp, etc.) And yeah, it does cost a bundle every month.

• Bozo said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Blade, I think one of them was justin tv

66. DJLoo said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Why no Cain tonight?

• twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:22 pm

The rotation is Tim, Dirty, Cain, Zits, MadBum

67. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Fucking Posey. Let me be the first to say: SOPHomore slump.

68. DJLoo said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Excellent! We mustn’t forget that the double play was an integral part of our World Championship offense in 2010!

69. twinfan said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Who signaled Buster to hit into the DP?

70. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I think I liked him better when he was a fat fuck. Jesus.

71. blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:31 pm

John . . . You’re right . . . I’ll try it, but I think I need a code of something to get “in.” Thanks.

72. mrmrbill said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:34 pm

blade, you don’t need a code. “kostaz003” was a username that had most of the games last year. Looks like he’s still doing it, as I’m watching now: http://www.justin.tv/kostaz003

• blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Thank you much bill . . . I don’t know how the hell I did this, but I also found another link that works . . .

Nevertheless, your link worked ALL LAST YEAR AND I AM BOOKMARKING IT TOO.

• Rough Trade said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Even though I have Comcast, that will come in handy on the road. thanks!

• xootsuit said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:49 pm

bill, thanks.

73. DJLoo said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:34 pm

How about a pool on what inning Scully takes his first breath?

• xootsuit said, on April 1, 2011 at 8:02 pm

A telecom contract dispute fucked up the broadcast post season in NY last year, and now you have to listen to the dodger feed? Capital of the world my ass.

74. Rough Trade said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:40 pm

How many bloopers is that this series?

75. james said, on April 1, 2011 at 7:48 pm