A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

To Invite or Not to Invite?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 7, 2011

We’re coming home 2-4 and that’s a hellavu lot better than 1-5. Friday should be an electric time at the park, it’s Opening Day and our players receive their World Series rings. *Our players* carries a bit a hazy definition. According to Baggerley, Be-Mol is sitting at home twiddling his thumbs–says he’d love to come. Giants still haven’t invited him. Come on Larry Baer, send out that invitation. That would be an outstanding opportunity for Giants fans to be able to properly honor his service time for us. Molina was the bridge to Buster, he endured the lean years but always seemed to do it with honor and a genuine commitment to the game. Only the bestest BB’s had a better rack. He should be there…..

There’s also the somewhat sticky issue of how Travis Ishikawa should dress if he decides to come to the ceremony. But I think this is a no-brainer–you wear the SF jersey. Waiving him was a business decision as well as a baseball decision. There was no one else to waive at the time. And the hard fact is, no one else wanted Ishikawa or he wouldn’t have cleared waivers. The Giants are as close to *home* as it gets for him these days and he absolutely earned that ring. Wear the jersey that you and your brothers wore and be proud of it. I think we are going to see Ishikawa come up at some point this year, too……..

I’m jealous of any of you that get to go to that game. Last Winter I convinced myself that it wouldn’t be that big of a deal to miss and I’d be happy to watch it on TV. That was a con-job that I pulled on myself. I’d give anything to be there…..

The Flap Fantasy League Baseball Standings

10. Tizzle 55 -11.5 11 5
11. NoTalent 54.5 -5.5 9 8
12. Dirt Bags 53.5 21.5 3 7
13. Berra’s Bombers 48.5 4 13 7
14. CrazyDiamonds 42 -13.5 1

1. willied said, on April 7, 2011 at 6:33 am

I can understand the disdain for govt. lawyers, kim bell, missing tapes newly resurrected, and those who looked the other way, but for pure sleaze it’s hard for me to get past Anderson and conte. These two marketed illegal drugs and boasted about them being undetectable to prospective clients.
    How many other Balco labs are currently out there with the same intent? Any idea of the long term effects of the usage of what they cook up? How many vulnerable athletes of all ages sizes shapes and ethnic derivations are sucked into this mess of better living through chemistry, and become living breathing lab rats for these scum?

• Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 9:06 am

Steroid testing tarted in WW II. Look at the East German atheletes of the 60s.

You listen to the ballplayers back in the day (70s) and they said they were taking horse steroids. Football in the late 70s and early 80s saw skyrocketing usage. Through all that, there’s not a whole lot of evidence that, on their own, steroids cause wholesale long-lasting problems. Freak out as you will, but based on the number of players using over the past 40 years in football, baseball, track, weight lifting, WWE, golf, tennis, and all the other sports that people use shit for, if there were major issues, there’d be a lot more problems out there.

EVERYONE inside the game of baseball turned a blind eye to this. From the commissioner to the GMs to the owners to the trainers. Some players have gone on to say that the league was actively teaching players how to avoid detection. If so, then Selig should be next in line to stand trial.

Like Marvin Benard said, steriods were readily available in TJ. Anderson and Conte? Yeah, they are sleazebags. The fact that the league dragged it’s feet in dealing with steroids led to all this. At least they did their time in jail. How about Sandy Alderson? He quit his job as Selig’s enforcer when the obvious questions were going to come up regarding the bash bro during his tenure with the A’s.

• Nipper said, on April 7, 2011 at 10:46 am

Oh BLEEP!

• Nipper said, on April 7, 2011 at 10:47 am

I hope Ferrethead beats out Chuck at least in the Fantasy league.

2. xootsuit said, on April 7, 2011 at 7:18 am

Cases against BALCO, Conte, Anderson, et al. were nailed shut before Barry Bonds ever took the stand in the Grand Jury room. Barry’s evasions did nothing to harm the prosecution of the drug peddlers. And before you get to the peddlers in the crackhouses, what about the landlords? Mlb and the front offices of the teams flat out permitted the players to juice for more than 10 years, for financial reasons. Barry’s fate is what’s at issue today. If he walks, I won’t have any difficulty explaining it to my baseball playing kid and in the same conversation underscoring the dangers, ethical and physical, of PEDs.

On Benji: Last year I was impressed at the opening night Cy Young award ceremony by the sincerity of Lincecum’s gratitude and admiration for Benji. Take a look at the stats. 93 games Benji caught Tim; Buster, total to date, 18. Benji developed three of the five pitchers. Benji contributed mightily to the team up to the day he left. It would be absurd not to invite him in for a hero’s welcome and a ring.

• willied said, on April 7, 2011 at 9:04 am

Xoot, i’m just not sure young athletes don’t look past that (the dangers you mention) to the rewards garnered by the Sosas and Bonds of the world, and it’s disappointing to me that none of these guys like Manny regret what they did, publicly, for all to see and hear. The message seems to be the same disheartening refrain as always…don’t get caught.

• xootsuit said, on April 7, 2011 at 9:25 am

Well, I’m definitely not sure, either, and I do not mean to minimize the problem. Father-son conversations won’t change the world. The pressure on kids starts after the natural steroids run their course in puberty. If a player’s not quite big enough, not quite strong enough at that point, he or she’ll be tempted. Ambitious players, no matter how gifted, will be tempted. Local gyms that cater to weight lifters and body builders all have “trainers” with inventory. So the pro leagues have a responsibility and they’re not dealing with it. The literature about the damage long-term steroid use inflicts is vast. (Full of big words, but worth struggling through if you think steroid abuse is ok.) Steroids are miracle drugs; so is heroin.

3. stixwiz said, on April 7, 2011 at 7:55 am

Ahh, Opening Day tomorrow and that good ol home cookin. Just what the Doctor ordered as follow-up for Timmy and the Bats. Cardinals are woozy right now and LaRussa is screeching. Their starting array over the three does not look particularly formidable, even though STL usually gets the best outta what they do have. Then come the LaBumbos to play by the Bay. Get Broomhilda on the line. Giants fans demand a sweeping vengeance.

4. ewisco said, on April 7, 2011 at 8:16 am

for those of us lucky enough to be going, any thoughts of t rying to meet and greet? I was thinking maybe middle of 5th by the little field/slide out in left. I’ll have a white rose and be carrying the London Times and an umbrella. The sign is “one flap” and the counter sign is “down”. the secret handshake we’ll have to make up on the fly.

5. Flavor said, on April 7, 2011 at 8:53 am

Haha, if I see a dude holding a single white rose at the ballpark, standing alone, it’s unlikely that shaking his hand would be my first impulse. I’d encourage you guys to hook up at a game, I’ve met a few of you up there (even went to a game with Sandawg) and it’s good times…..

6. zumarust said, on April 7, 2011 at 9:10 am

Not to be picky, but BF’s blog post makes it sound like the ring ceremony is on Friday. I think it’s on Saturday. Friday is raising-the-championship-banner day, and Sunday is Buster-gets-his-ROY-award day.

7. Flavor said, on April 7, 2011 at 9:13 am

Zumie–thanks for the post, I was just coming here to say the same thing. I thought it was Openign Day but it’s Sat..
    I’m working on tickets for the Dodger series next week…

8. twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 9:14 am

It would be horrible not to invite Bengie. There’s nothing else to say about that.

• zumarust said, on April 7, 2011 at 9:25 am

I agree, but it IS a unique situation, though. In the World Series, Benjie was trying his hardest to make sure the Giants DIDN’T get the ring.
      But, yeah, definitely he should be invited to the ceremony.

• TedSpe said, on April 7, 2011 at 9:30 am

——————————————————————
      For God’s sakes, the man hit below the Mendoza line. He *HAS* to get invited
      😉

9. zumarust said, on April 7, 2011 at 9:31 am

Pretty funny comment from Belt about the rings. A reporter asked him how it’s going to feel to be left out of getting a ring on Saturday, and Belt grinned and said “That’s alright. I get TWO rings.” I didn’t know that the players in the Cal. League and the Arizona League get rings when they win the championship of those leagues. They’re giving out rings for a lot of things these days!

10. Giant Head said, on April 7, 2011 at 9:46 am

Bengie has to be invited…Travis back to the minors…so they should have him back up here for Saturday ceremony…

11. Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 9:51 am

Does Uribe get his on Monday?

12. Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 9:53 am

How about Rich Aurillia? He himself said that he was in integral part in bringing the young players in and preparing them for their future glory . . .

PS> I threw up in my mouth when I heard him say that last year . . .

13. twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 10:02 am

A lot of “throwing up in the mouth” these days. The phrase is more disgusting than the comment that provokes it.

• Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 10:23 am

No it isn’t.

• Nipper said, on April 7, 2011 at 10:50 am

BLEEP’in shame on Chuck!

14. Sierra Nevada said, on April 7, 2011 at 10:27 am

Unca Chuck: “Through all that, there’s not a whole lot of evidence that, on their own, steroids cause wholesale long-lasting problems.”

You are full of shit. There is plenty of evidence that ‘roids cause massive long-term problems, including death. Have a chat with an endocrinologist if you need help understanding the evidence, or just stay ignorant. But please stop making shit up.

• willied said, on April 7, 2011 at 10:36 am

“…if there were major issues…” I’d put “death” in there somewhere.

• Nipper said, on April 7, 2011 at 10:55 am

“You are full of shit.” I’m sure Chuck has heard this before. BLEEP!

• TedSpe said, on April 7, 2011 at 11:07 am

About the only interesting thing in the whole Bonds trial was when that doctor testified and noted that the reason there hasn’t been any intense study of steroid abuse and its after effects is because scientists would never subject anyone to the massive amounts of steroids allgedly used by these athletes. He compared it to intentionally giving someone cancer for further studies (and though I’m not sure whether or not they intionally afflicted their subjects, this is an ethic that was not applied in Tuskegee for 40 years)

• Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 11:16 am

Statistically if problems were as widespred as people claim, there’d be an epidemic of steriod-related deaths. It hasn’t happened. Hey, I thought is would as well. But nothing points to major problems if one gets off them.

Football players have been roiding since the 70s. Who has died as a direct result from steroids? Alzado? Nope. Brain tumor. Body builders are a better example. Mainly because they don’t subject themselves to violent injury as football players do. Are they dropping dead in droves? Arnold governator roided for years. He looks pretty healthy. Are they bemoaning the fact they roided up? If so, I don’t hear them complaining. How about the WWE folks? 30 years of usage has led to what? Unspecified anecdotal cases amounting to what?

15. zumarust said, on April 7, 2011 at 10:34 am

I don’t think it would be a big factor in the Giants decision to invite or not invite Benjie, but Benjie did have some relatively harsh things to say about the Giants organization in Baggs’ book. He never completely got over Sabean’s ill-advised “the clock is ticking on Benjie” comment. And the team should have handled letting him know about the trade better. The team was waiting for the league to approve the trade before they told Benjie, but Benjie’s teammates were already reading about the trade on the internet, and so Benjie found out about the trade from the other players, while they were on a team flight.

16. snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 10:48 am

Any player that qualified for a ring should have been invited, whether still with the Giants 25 or in the org, or not. If they’re with another NL team or an AL interleague opponent this year, they can’t come now, but hand it to ’em in a pre-game when they come in to ATT. If they’re otherwise in the AL or are not playing at all, but don’t want to or can’t come, use UPS. There, that wasn’t too hard…

17. Nipper said, on April 7, 2011 at 10:52 am

Give them all rings! Even the seagulls deserve something.

18. James said, on April 7, 2011 at 10:56 am

Did the “clock is ticking” comment come before or after Bengie taunted the newly drafted Posey when heading back to the dugout after an HR?

• twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 11:07 am

June of 2008, James.

• twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 11:09 am

Somefuckingwhat before this alleged taunting, in other words.

19. twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 11:04 am

Many steroids, including what I’m on , can cause adrenal insufficiency if not tapered properly. And yes, death may be an unfortunate “side effect” of that.

• Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 11:36 am

Apples and oranges, Mike. Yes, inhaled steroids decreased my mom’s bone density. But she was 80 years old and in failing health. The steroids helped her. There are side effects with anything.

If long-term abuse by young athletes caused the myrial problems attributed to them, there would be a lot more deaths. That’s my point. There’s isolated cases of strokes and heart attacks, but for the most part the problems go away when you stop taking them.

Look, I don’t give a shit either way. Believe the hysteria. I’m wrong. Whatever.

• twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 11:57 am

I’m the last guy buying into any hysteria, pal. I don’t think it’s any more wrong than legal cortisone or anything else athletes use to either keep them on the field of help their performance.

• Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 12:43 pm

The last line was more directed at Sierra Nev . . .

20. dirtnrocksnreno said, on April 7, 2011 at 11:08 am

Molina was a good player for SF and instrumental in the developing the staff. I get that he’s a proud guy and all but his inability to turn the page makes him come off as a whiner. The club should do the right thing and invite him. Ishikawa has been a good soldier and we know how Sabean values that. He should be on site and in uniform.

I think it was Baggs that posted a blog at the end of the year and talked about how all the players gathered around the mound in SF for a picture. It was the last photo that would have all of them together as teammates and champs. I can’t remember if they were in uniform or regular clothes but that would be a great picture to get ahold of.

21. snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 11:22 am

Wonder if Timmeh is headin for his weekly In N Out fest today?
    Seems to have really hurt him yesterday. Maybe if he adds some bran to the lunch, he’ll get 14Ks next time, not just a measly 13…

22. dirtnrocksnreno said, on April 7, 2011 at 11:37 am

Chuck, are you on steroids or something?

• Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Yes. isn’t my writing style more manly?

“We will pump up . . your vocabulary”

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on April 7, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Must be the Clear. Your fast twitch muscles are causing you to post too quickly.

• xootsuit said, on April 7, 2011 at 1:02 pm

THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH ROIDS! WHO SAID THERE WAS? I’LL TWIST THAT PENCIL NECK IN TWO! WHERE IS HE? I’LL SHOW HIM WHAT ROIDS ARE GOOD FOR!

23. Rough Trade said, on April 7, 2011 at 11:40 am

Baggs in March:

Would Molina consider attending the Giants’ ring ceremony April 9 at AT&T Park?

“I don’t know,” said Molina, whom the Giants traded to Texas on July 1 to clear the catching position for Buster Posey. “The players would be excited to see me because we’re friends, but I don’t know how the ownership and the GM would feel about me going back. You want to be as professional as you can. So I’ll let them just ship it out to me.

Has there been any official word from Mgmt? Hard to believe they wouldn’t extend him an invite.

24. twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 11:42 am

Long term effects of that diet may be WORSE than those of steroids, numbskull. Irreversible liver damage is but one of the “side effects”.
    burger

• snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 12:10 pm

A half decade on and off of dianobol or similar is not as bad long term than two or three double burgers a week, while you’re working out as a world class athlete? Prove it. And don’t tell me watching a movie about a dude eating nothing but McDs for a month is proof…

• twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 1:00 pm

There are countless studies on the long term effects of a fast food diet. look it up yourself.

• Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 1:16 pm

“Fast food diet” and 2 or 3 burgers a week are 2 different things.

As with just about anything, moderation is not going to kill anyone.

• snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 1:17 pm

In other words, taking steroids is actually NOT provably better for you than chowing a few burgers a week. Thanxx for clarifying….

• snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I’m now heading to the TEPCO website translation for the latest truth about the Japanese radiation disaster…

• twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Where do you get 2or 3 ? He attributes the diet to an 11 pound weight gain.

25. zumarust said, on April 7, 2011 at 11:44 am

I think we’ve discussed before the extraordinary amount of “extra” people that get Giants World Series rings, too. I’m assuming all the broadcasters, front office personnel, and who knows who else.

26. zumarust said, on April 7, 2011 at 11:45 am

Red Sox lose again! Oh the humanity! Oh the hype!

• Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I just wish the Rays would be taking advantage of the Bosox slow start. . .

Thing is, when they change the playoff structure next year, Boston and the Yankers will ALWAYS be in the playoffs. . .

Oh joy.

• twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 1:03 pm

The fucking Rays? They’ll be lucky to win 60…

27. Flavor said, on April 7, 2011 at 11:53 am

and Lester pitched about as well as you can. 2011 Red Sox could be the 2010-2011 Miami Heat…..

• Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Except the Heat is going to the playoffs . . .

28. Flavor said, on April 7, 2011 at 12:43 pm

yeah, super tough to do in basketball…..getting to the playoffs was hardly their main goal. Dominating and winning it all was what everyone thought they’d do….

• Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Hey, watching the Heat go down in flames will be thoroughly enjoyed by me.

They may get past the 1st round (or not. The Knicks look pretty good with ‘Melo), but they’ll get bounced by Boston.

29. Sandawg said, on April 7, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I agree with throwing Bengie a bone and also that Ishi should show up in full regalia.
    Flav—I distinctly remember you posting that you could take or leave the opening day hoopla and thinking to myself at the time you were full of crap. Glad to see you admit it was a self con-job. I’d love to be there too.

30. snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 1:20 pm

How do we know the Giants did or did not invite all players that were getting rings and are not otherwise engaged with other teams? I suppose this will come out in the wash the next day or two…

31. twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 1:32 pm

“In other words, taking steroids is actually NOT provably better for you than chowing a few burgers a week. ” No idea what you’re talking about or to.

• snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Sure you do…

• twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Nope, none at all.Maybe you should just stick to trashing your ex-boss.Have you returned the kimono yet?

• snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Now THAT I don’t understand…

• Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Do both and you end up as the governor of Caleeefoorneeeea

32. Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 2:19 pm

On a side note, LeBron Bron’s mom was arrested for assaulting a hotel valet . . .

33. Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Heat superstar LeBron James said this afternoon that the early morning arrest of his mother is “a sensitive subject. It’s a personal matter and it’s being taken care of.”

Gloria James, 43, was released from the Miami Beach jail Thursday morning after spending the night there following a confrontation with a valet parking attendant at the Fontainebleau Hotel, Miami TV station WPLG first reported.

Gloria James was arrested at 4:57 a.m. Thursday and taken into custody at the hotel, according to Miami Beach police Det. Juan Sanchez.

According to the police report, Gloria James was angry that her car wasn’t promptly retrieved, as she and the driver of the car waited. Then she allegedly struck valet Rockefeller Sorel with an “open hand across the right side of his face.”

“I’m Gloria James, bitch!!!”

• TedSpe said, on April 7, 2011 at 2:50 pm

The valet’s name is Rockefeller Sorel ? That’s beautiful.

• Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Yeah, I was digging on that name as wel . . .

• snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 2:54 pm

A hotel valet service once LOST the keys to the car of my wife’s brother in law. They NEVER found them, he lost an entire day as they looked for them and then had to get a locksmith and call the local dealership to get new keys. No, he didn’t slap anybody, but they paid for everything and comped the crap out of him….

• Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Your wife’s brother in law? You mean your brother?

• snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 3:11 pm

My wife has a sister.
        The sister has a husband = my wife’s brother in law.
        If you’re still confused, go to ancestry.com….

34. Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Somewhere Rick James is smiling . . .

35. TedSpe said, on April 7, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I read the L.A. Dodgers hired an ex-police chief to consult on their security program. I’m curious to what type and how much media we’ll be hearing/reading/seeing for the upcoming Dodgers series here to prevent payback.

36. Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I’d imagine they aren’t hoping for some sort of re-enactment of A Clockwork Orange . . .

“I’m singing in the rain . . .”

37. eddacker415 said, on April 7, 2011 at 3:10 pm

ditto what zoot hath sayeth:
    Benji is a warrior and he was a Giants player.
    My take on the no invite (if there is such a thing) is ego in the owner’s box. No turning of the other cheek. A lousy thing.
    I also vote for what Mega Big Flavor Shady and Mr. SanDiggityDawg said:
    bone and full regalia

38. eddacker415 said, on April 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Spending 8 hours a day wrasslin with computer problems doesn’t encourage me to want to come home and get on another computer. But my Giants and you guys do. As well as playing my first season of FL BB.
    cheers and good night, gentlemen?

39. Kevin said, on April 7, 2011 at 4:19 pm

When Ed used the word Gentleman, he meant you too Chuck. Just so you know

• TedSpe said, on April 7, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Note the “?”

• Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Thanks ma’am . . .

40. Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Apropos of nothing, it’s pretty wild that ALL the Molina brothers will have WS rings when Bengie gets his.

41. Kevin said, on April 7, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Ah, I see everyone is a comedian

42. Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Well, Bengie already had his when he won with the LAAs . . .

Still cool though . . .

43. snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Bonds jury to start deliberations tomorrow morning. If I’m on it, I at least want another lunch outta the deal. For the Giants sake, I hope they recess for the weekend. A verdict either way on an Opening Day celebrating SF’s first WC championship would be just too, too, well too Bondsian…

44. Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Well, the courtroom is about a mile away from the park, so, they could reach a verdict and whisk BB to the park in time for all the fun . . .

45. twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I’m certain that Snarkk will correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t the jury acquit even if they think he’s guilty of the charges? I think it’s called “nullification”.

• snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Yes, correct, oh Oraclebreath. They could still acquit, tho’ he’s not legit. Kinda like after all this Balco biz came to light in 2003, we Giants fans still cheered when Barry cranked one into the Cove. Although from what I’ve read, I think if they acquit, it’ll be because of just a plain ‘ol poor case put on by the gov’t.
      From what I saw of tweets today out of the trial, the pros. final arguments were pretty decent. Defense hammered on the materiality issue, and made points on that, so Xooty should be happy. Press gave overall final arguments to Pros., but I’m skeptical of all the press in this. I think most if not all of them want to see Barry go down as payback for his disdain for them all those years…

46. Flavor said, on April 7, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I’m fascinated with what the verdict will be. Remember, the jury is a bunch of head-in-the sand non-baseball fans. Who knows how they feel about a rich famous athlete who does whatever he wants? Barry couldn’t have come off looking too good to those people……

• snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 6:20 pm

It only takes one who’s been shafted or PO’d by the gov’t or IRS or doesn’t like the cut of that Novitzky dude’s jib, or whatever…

47. Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Better than if he took the stand . . .

48. Unca Chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Which I’m sure come up in closing . . .

49. Sportdude said, on April 7, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Re steroids..
    Yes they can / do cause long term damage. SO?

Any of you / us who say that they would take them IF they might have long term damage IN EXCHANGE FOR…. a part time job with free travel, free food, free women and an extra 3 million a year (aaa vs mlb) is probablya freakin liar…

• snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Well, I’d definitely lean towards taking the ‘roids if all those goodies come with it. But, if a weekly double double, fries and choco shake gets me all that, I’m FOR SURE headin’ to In N’ Out ASAP…

50. Flavor said, on April 7, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Judging Timmy’s weight gain solely on his In & Out *supposed* diet is the dumbest thing I’ve heard in the last 2 days. Was he lifting weights? Was he drinking protein shakes? Supplements? A new workout routine? Baggerley himself says you can’t pinch an inch of fat on the guy. And Kuiper spent a couple of minutes this morning explaining why little guys (like him) need to take in a shitload of calories throughout the season to keep their weight up.
    There is ZERO evidence that Lincecum sits around eating 3 double doubles every day. And to suggest that’s what he’s doing to gain weight is utter bullshit lying because you don’t know what he eats every day. Timmy’s gained 13lbs and he looks fucking great and he struck out 13 over 7 yesterday. Maybe this year, with the added weight (anyone want to venture if it’s fat or muscle? Like you fucking know?) he’ll make it through August without imploding……..

51. twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Hopefully, your teeth won’t fall out first…

52. twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Settle down Flavoro: HE said he gained 11 pounds on the diet.And, BTW: fuck you for that POS post..

53. twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 6:38 pm

And where do you fucks come up with “once a week??”

54. twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 6:43 pm

From April 2:
    “Last week, Lincecum told reporters that his DAILY lunch consisted of three double-double burgers, two orders of fries, and a half-chocolate, half-strawberry milkshake from In-N-Out Burger. That adds up to a whopping 3,150 calories for lunch alone. “My metabolism is through the roof,” said the pitcher in an interview with USA Today. ”

55. Flavor said, on April 7, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I read that and I think he’s totally fucking with you the same way he fucked with fans with his cab driver youtube videos. The same way Huff is calling into KNBR and pretending to be a *fan*. The same way Wilson fucks with everyone with his absurd comments. These guys don’t mean half the shit they say, it’s all a fucking game to them.
    If you think he’s doing that every day and walking around without a drop of fat on him and striking out 13 then pull the wool completely over your eyes and move on to the next topic.
    Tim Lincecum is an athlete. He works at it. He jives around with the press about some bullshit In/Out burger daily diet but do you think he could win 2 CY’s doing that every day? Does that guy strike out 13 in 7 innings as he did yesterday? Come on, don’t be an idiot.
    Argue all you want about how bad his diet is and the *long term* effects but believing he eats that shit every day is just dumb……..

56. snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 7:14 pm

The original story from Nightengale on usa.today on March 16 was that Lincecum “regularly” ate the gutbuster at In N Out. Then espn on March 19 that baggarly quoted in his March 21 blog was that this was Lincecum’s “typical” meal WHEN HE WENT to In N Out. Not “daily”. Later stories had it that he would eat at In N Out after each start. At the end, other outlets morphed it into “daily”, I’ll guess because the prior stories mentioned daily dietary and caloric intake recommendations. You’re using the last morphed story, not the original…

• twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 7:33 pm

So you don’t know how often. We do know that he claims to have gained 11 pounds THIS SPRING because of it-pretty unlikely on your fictional once a week binge.Whatever. It’s an unhealthy diet, even he acknowledges that. I never said it would affect him right away, when his metabolism slows down it will.

• snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm

We do know that DAILY is media morphed bullshit…

• twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 7:45 pm

And we know that you made up “weekly”.

• snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 8:00 pm

In ST, when the articles came out, Lincecum was starting about once a week. Get it? If you continue to argue that he’s driving to hell in a handbasket by eating burgers and fries, it’s just plain dumb. Get over it. If the Giants trainers, who have more training in nutrition and performance than you or me or all of us combined on this board, don’t reign in his burgers, then I’m not going to worry about it…

• twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 8:08 pm

The first article didn’t say after each start, according to you it said regularly.You made up weekly. You lied, pal. Arguing that it’s not an unhealthgy diet is what’s “plain dumb”..you are the nimrod who made a BFD of this by denying an undeniable fact…

• snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Always the “lie”. Lies, Lies, Lies. Yes, my life is all a lie. Culminating in lying about “weekly” double doubles. I researched the development of the story and how it morphed, just for the F of it. You didn’t. If I were interested in protecting a “lie”, I wouldn’t have provided that info for the blog and your sorry ass. I don’t sit around parsing words and wondering whether somebody will grill me about whether typical or usual or after games is really “weekly”. You can save that shit for the Bonds prosecutors. But, it’s not “daily”. So, get a grip and move onto something important. Like Opening Day. I’m done with this idiotic topic…

• twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 8:30 pm

You shouldn’t have perpetuated it with snarky references then. You DID lie about it, I relied on what appeared to be a credible source. And as I said, you and Flavor are who made a BFD of it by denying the undeniable.
        BTW, we DON”T know it’s not daily, we only know that the frequency changed. It’s entirely plausible that he regretted saying he ate that shit everyday.

57. unca chuck said, on April 7, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Daily? I didn’t know this was daily. Is he still doing it? Is he exaggerating? I mean really. In-n-Out’s OK, but their burgers aren’t that good.

When yer young it’s easy. It’ll catch up with him at some point. But he’s got another 5 years before this even matters.

I couldn’t gain weight to save my life when I was in my teens & 20’s. I wan’t a world-class athlete, but I was in good shape.

6′- 2″ and a steady diet of junk food and beer for 12 years got me to a whopping 170 lb. I look at a piece of cake now, and I gain 5 lb.

58. snarkk said, on April 7, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Pretty cool set of old pics in SFGate today on past Giant games and doin’s, even back to the 60s. One of the ’93 team particularly got me. I’m still monumentally PO’d that that team never got into the playoffs. 103 wins and a slap in the face. I firmly believe that team would have won the whole enchilada, had it gotten in. A very well balanced squad, that. And old pics of the Stick remind how great ATT is. Being in the upper deck at the Stick was like being in earth orbit watching the game; at ATT even in the View Reserve upper deck and in bleachers you feel like you’re almost part of the action, plus the foul areas are so much smaller…

59. nipper said, on April 7, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I liked the Stick for cost. ATT is too expensive. Sure it’s a nice park but too costly.

60. Flavor said, on April 7, 2011 at 8:12 pm

ATT can match Candlestick in terms of noise and intensity. It actually surpasses it and it’s total bullshit that it’s a park filled with a bunch of CEO’s attached to their cell phones. But when I die, if someone asked me what my most memorable Giants games were I’d list off a plenty of games from the ‘Stick— the bbq’s near that old *air tower* or whatever the hell that was–that’s where we’d always meet. The left field bleachers—god damn, by the time I hit 18 I don’t know if i sat anywhere else. People bitched about the weather and yeah, it was cold as a mother fucker but when that’s all you know THAT’S ALL YOU KNOW. When you put the weather aside, and you find your *spot* (for me it was the left field bleachers) it was a fine place to watch a ballgame……….

61. Flavor said, on April 7, 2011 at 8:25 pm

We should have had a Winter topic of **most memorable things about the stick*— I’ll start and I have to bounce so I’ll check it out in the morning:
    the air tower
    the seat color
    getting trampled trying to get to a ball in LF (before they stupidly banned that)
    the shitty food
    the anticipation I’d have driving up 101 as we drove past the bay and approached the stadium. I swear to God, I still have this recurring dream of water skiing on the bay past myself driving myself down 101 to the game. It’s a whole id/ego/super ego thing, I think……….

62. willied said, on April 7, 2011 at 8:39 pm

oh man…the dirt parking lot in the late afternoon wind
    sitting in what used to be the sun and freezing your ass off about 7th inning of a day game.
    the view from underneath the overhang in the lower boxes
    first row or two in the upper deck for sunday 12 noon game, perfect seats
    trying to actually get to 3rd street for the turnoff to the fwy
    cardiac hill before the lift
    taking the bus from south bay for a sunday DH

63. zumarust said, on April 7, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Memories of the Stick? How about the time I actually caused the game to stop. I was sitting in the right field seats, a few rows from the front edge, on the aisle, and stood up to see a hit to the wall, and dropped my water bottle, and the thing actually bounced a few times in the aisle and dropped onto the field. It didn’t interfere with the play, but an ump saw the water bottle fall, and called a timeout after the play, and someone (the rightfielder probably) tossed the bottle up to an usher, who actually gave me the bottle back! That was a different era.

64. zumarust said, on April 7, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I once saw Huey Lewis in the parking lot at the Stick. He had his Giants cap pulled low, and was walking by himself very intently towards his car, not wanting to be recognized. My friend and I said it almost at the same time to each other: “That was Huey Lewis!”

65. zumarust said, on April 7, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I’m sure everyone has a gnarly stuck-in-traffic story, regarding the Stick. The one where you get there about the third inning. Makes for a relatively quick game.
    —-
    I was at an season opening day at the Stick one time. In the centerfield upperdeck, where you literally could not see the ball. You just watched the reaction of the fielders to see which direction the ball was hit.

66. zumarust said, on April 7, 2011 at 8:56 pm

How about the experience of having a seat behind a pillar. I couldn’t believe it. A lot of the old stadiums used to have some seats behind pillars.
    —-
    I remember several games against the Dodgers, with really huge crowds. The Giants seemed to usually get up for the games, no matter where they were in the standings. You can’t underestimate the x-factor of having 55,000 fans at a homegame cheering for the hometeam.

67. twinfan said, on April 7, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Well, the Reggie Smith incident with my friend “Burly Fan”. I’ve discussed it before, won’t bore you. Goodnight, folks.

• zumarust said, on April 7, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I may or may not have been at that game, I can’t remember. I remember the incident, I just can’t remember if I saw it happen live or watched it on TV. I do remember intense moments at Giant/Dodger games. The crux of the issue was that walk of shame the opposing players would have to take if they got thrown out of the game. There was no entrance to the clubhouse from the visitor’s dugout on the thirdbase line, of couse, so the players had to walk across the diamond, and then go through that entrance near the stands along the firstbase line. Often a dicey moment, security-wise.

68. SanDawg said, on April 7, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I’ve mentioned this before, but I always think about that escalator to the upper deck when I think of the Stick. From the time I was a little kid, I was always thought that thing was bad-ass.