A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

When Torture Really Was Torture……

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 8, 2011

I really enjoyed reading the end of the last thread. There were two things that all Giants fans could agree on when it came to the ‘Stick: 1) the weather sucked and 2) there were a lot of bad seats. Zumie had me lol’ing about being in the upper deck CF and  not being able to see the ball and just watching which direction the players were running….

I remember a game in August of ’89 vividly–not the *game* actually but the trip up there. At the last minute my buddies and I decided to hit a day game.  We hopped in my ’73 Capri and headed up 101 from Palo Alto. We were sportin’ the sweet Summer tans, it was a hot day so we had the AC blaring and the windows open to still feel the warm breeze blowing through the car. Before  we hit Brisbane the windows were rolled up and we had the freaking heat blaring. It still amazes me that it can be 30 degrees colder in SF than it is in Palo Alto, a city maybe 25 miles or so south….

The ‘Stick was all I ever knew growing up so the cold and the view didn’t really ever bother me. It was more funny than anything else. We’d be literally shaking while watching a game and just going “What the hell is wrong with us that we are sitting outside in the cold watching our team lose again”. But back then it was the whole package— pre-game tail gate—game—post-game tail gate—sit in traffic talking about the game or anything really. Today’s Giant game really has none of that—we head to some micro-brewery before the game and enjoy our $10 beer in the warmth of the indoors. We sit in awesome seats. We hop on the train and get taken home swiftly and efficiently.

Torture? Today’s Giants fan has no idea…….

Actually, if you’ve never sat in the dead CF bleachers at ATT and you want a slight memory of what it was like at Candlestick, go sit in those seats. There’s a pretty good wind tunnel that runs through there. On cold days it will almost remind you of the good ‘ol days……

Baer will have the stadium polished shinier than their World Series rings this weekend. And that’s nice. We’ve got the best ballpark in the world. But to me it will never replace Candlestick where we had baseball and comaraderie and the genesis of memories that still, to this day, burn brightly even if the sun back then didn’t……

1. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:06 pm

hah, the 1st one was better . . .

2. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Lordie . . .

3. eddacker415 said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:13 pm

The wheels are falling off the bus now, Romo shaved part of his beard.

4. twinfan said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Single and RBI for Pujols? In that situation, gold…

5. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Wow. Never seen that before.

Whoooooo. . . .

6. zumarust said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Great photos, thanks for the links!

7. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Here ya go Dennis. Weezy gets his shot . . .

8. eddacker415 said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:27 pm

TWIN: Burrell also has 4 hits total, but the big tell is not one of ‘our’ guys has started a streak yet. And Rowhand in, still a close game. I guess BW didn’t aggravate his injury hoistin’ the flag, matie.

9. eddacker415 said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:30 pm

BW has us just where he wants us

10. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:30 pm

C’mon, Wilson — this torture shit was last year’s news.

11. Kevin said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Jeez, 11 pitches so far

12. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Shave the fucking beard. That was last year’s news.

13. Kevin said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:36 pm

That is fucked up!!

14. Kevin said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Now he has just lost it!!

15. Kevin said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:37 pm

The wheels are coming off!!

16. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Welcome back torture . . .

17. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Fuck. nibble nibble bleeder HBP walk.

Oh well. Got to limit the damage . . .

18. eddacker415 said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I missed the comments about the stick, but reading them sure makes me remember: with the guys in the bleachers stompin our feet until they were numb. The snowstorm of dog wrappers. third inning warm sun by the fifth three jacket weather. I worked at hunter’s point (too many pitches for Brian) and could catch a night game then stop at the Fillmore on the way home. $1 to get in after 11pm, saw many great acts that way.

19. zumarust said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:39 pm

We love Brian Wilson, but his style can drive us crazy sometimes. Strike one, strike two, and then nibble, nibble, nibble….

20. mrmrbill said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Who is this… this … “Aaron Rowand” guy and where was he last year?

21. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Why isn’t Bochy pinch running NO Whitey for Buster? He did last year.

22. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:52 pm

PABLO!!!!!

23. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Good gravy . . . What was poo holes doing?

24. zumarust said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Rowand and Pablo! This is definitely a new season.

25. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:57 pm

So, 2011 is torture squared??

26. eddacker415 said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:02 pm

ESPNs favorite two words

Walk Off

• TedSpe said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Huh. I though they were Yan Kee

27. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:05 pm

WTF? Bunting w/ 1-out in a tied game? Donkey punch.

28. unca chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Come on . . .

torres torres torres

29. unca chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Epic heckling . . .

30. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Now we’re just trying to give it away…

31. unca chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Wow. 3rd error by pitchers in 6 games.

32. xootsuit said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:19 pm

There’s something about this Javier Lopez, a supposed “specialist” pulled in to go long. This guy is not just cool and professional, he’s got guts and desire to ptich as long as they’ll let him pitch. They had to let him pitch long today. This guy is good.

33. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Isn’t Bozo at today’s game? he’s getting his money’s worth. Bring us some goddamn good luck you lovable clown.

34. xootsuit said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Chuck, you’re the soph of this blog, posting your bullshilt constantly. Think before you post for a change. (One short cop to the other, back in Chuck’s glory days: “What do you want to do with the upper middle class asshole from the peninsula who wasn’t smart enough to hide his dope after we did our warning walk by?” “Let him go. He won’t have the balls to buy a new ticket. He’ll just hang around outside waiting for their friends.”)

• unca chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Fuck you, Zoot. Who asked your sorry ass?

Go back to beating off to the girls outside yer window.

• xootsuit said, on April 8, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Chuck, you post too much and say too little. You’re a fucking joke.

35. unca chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Is that a siren I hear?

36. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Situational hitting is a lost art in our museum. Can I have fly ball, please?

37. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Rudi Stein time for DeRosa. Lean into one says coach Buttermaker.

38. eddacker415 said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Twin was right again – we missed two Burrell at bats and one huff.

• James said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Burrell is lost at the plate. Huff is killing us.

39. eddacker415 said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:37 pm

It is likely the fans want some umpire meat

40. Kevin said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:37 pm

That was shit!

41. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Swing the goddamn bat MDR. Runner at third and no outs and we suck cock — again.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Our situational hitting is horseshit. has been horseshit. And will continue to be horseshit as long as I live because God hates me.

• unca chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Satan’s tired of your bitching as well . . .

42. unca chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Wilson wasn’t getting those, that’s for sure.

Runzler needs to get his shit together.

43. Kevin said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:46 pm

All I know is a man on third no outs!! HIT THE BALL. MDR not good. have to be ready when your number is called!! They walk two guys in front of you, the manager is calling out your manhood.

44. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Been away. I see it’s Tortorus Redux MMXI.

45. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 8, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Q. Did LaRussa have two third basemen last inning (one from LF)???? I don’t think I’ve ever seen that, if I gather correctly. If so, is the reasoning that a fly ball to left is a sac fly anyway?

46. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 8, 2011 at 6:00 pm

deja vu all over again redux redundo repeat

47. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Dumb strategy by LaRussa. 1-out yes, 2-outs no.

48. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Rowand is our hero! And LaRussa is a dumb fuck.

49. freshtodef80 said, on April 8, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Rowand!!

50. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 8, 2011 at 6:04 pm

check the archives, I’ve been saying Rowand would surprise — in a good way. Sweet smell of basking.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Yes you have. You were the only canary singing Rowand’s tune, but you hit high note right on key.

51. Macdog said, on April 8, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Way to go Row! A great finish to a great day, with all these wonderful posts and one of Flav’s best headers.

52. Kevin said, on April 8, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I don’t know why we were all bitching and moaning, me especially, we went through this ALL last year, and they won the WS!! So I say GO GIANTS

53. Flavor said, on April 8, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Well, I’ve got Dirrrrrty on 2 of my fantasy teams so I was less than enthralled to watch Bee–Wheezy cough that game away. But they took care of business when it counted. Rowand has started fast every year he’s played with us. Injury or whatever then hits him and he turns into shit. I’m totally fine with him getting the starts against lefties until he turns to shit……..

• Nipper said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:28 pm

A good shit is underrated.

54. zumarust said, on April 8, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Wilson’s comment after the game that his “ERA went to a billion, but the important thing is that the team won the game. My teammates picked me up” got me interested in what his ERA is at the moment. The funny thing is- by giving up 2 runs in the 9th, in 2/3 of an inning, his ERA actually went DOWN from 40 to 33.
    He’ll be fine. None of the Cards hit the ball hard off him. He’ll get sharper as he gets into more games.

55. Kevin said, on April 8, 2011 at 7:05 pm

yeah let Rowand right out any hot streak he has in the beginning cause come the all star break he looks totally lost at the plate in July and August!!

56. xootsuit said, on April 8, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I’m elated. I loved this game. LaRussa thought he’d outsmarted Bochy. No more pitchers after Runzler, nobody to worry about off the bench. But the Giants weren’t done. Nor was (or is) Rowand. I heard the final inning on the radio, in the car, but I just saw the video on tv. The LF and CF looked mystified as Rowand’s blast bounced off the wall. I’ll bet LaRussa’s response was a bit more profane. Meanwhile, I heard the exalted voice proclaim: “And this game is OVER!” Wonderful game.

57. zumarust said, on April 8, 2011 at 7:26 pm

When Ross comes back, it’ll either be Nate or Belt that goes to Fresno. It’ll be interesting to see how that pans out. Belt needs to get his batting average up. I’m thinking Nate will be the one.

• zumarust said, on April 8, 2011 at 7:26 pm

The one that goes to Fresno, I meant to say.

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Nate’s out of options. If he goes, he hits the waiver wire, cuz he’s not much for straight trade bait…

• zumarust said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I think he slides through the waiver wire, like Ishi. All the teams are pretty much set on their position players at the start of the season.

58. zumarust said, on April 8, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Not really sure what Zito’s mustache is all about. But then again, Romo looks like General Ambrose Burnside now. A band of misfits! Makes a good book title!

59. twinfan said, on April 8, 2011 at 7:38 pm

The deal with Rowand- when he’s hitting he’s extremely productive, good example is when he came off the DL last year-10 RBI on a 7 game road trip. LaRussa made one of his “look at me” moves walking Fruckie..

60. snarkk said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I’m with BF. Gamer gets POTG in my book, or maybe ties with Panda ‘cuz he got the hit to tie it with 2 gone in the 9th. Still not sure why Pujols was hugging the line on that play. Anyway, yeah, if Rohand ever hits, it’s early. Let him ride the tide, then trade his butt while he looks like he’s found gold, before it turns to pyrite…

61. snarkk said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:14 pm

If Dirrty can ever figure out how to consistently go 6 without throwing 500 pitches, and just shrug off the occassional idiot home ump balls and strikes calls, it would do wonders for keeping the Pen fresher for this season. He’s not “young” anymore, that’s no longer an excuse. At this point in his career with his stuff, he should be penciled in for 15Ws if he can keep his head on straight…

• James said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm

As I pointed out earlier, so far he is throwing strikes at a percentage that should mean fewer walks this year. The ratio is 2-1, which is really good. He’s been fucked by an inordinate number of bleeders and IF hits so far.

• twinfan said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:46 pm

It was a managerial decision to pull him today,he was not floundering. It worked out fine but there was none of what Snarkk descibes going on with him.

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Duh, he was on a pitch count and had 94+ for 5 innings. That’s a lot of pitches in 5, getting behind early. Exactly what I’m talking about. The 7-2 K/BB was good, but 2 walks in 5 isn’t special. He’s yet to prove he’s out of the woods with the brain farts — as late as Philly game 6 is Exhibit A…

• xootsuit said, on April 8, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I think I’ve been one of the most aggressive with the “head case” critiques of J. Sanchez. I still see that side of hm, but he pitched just fiine today. Perfect? No. Welll? Fuck yeah. Overall he has consistently improved, in every way, as a starter. We all keep hoping for the break through moment, when he attains the aplomb of Cain or Lincecum. That moment may not occur. But he’s still capable of throwing a no hitter his next time out.

• zumarust said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I think it’s in Baggs’ book where Baggs says that the Giants’ brass has come to accept that this is who J. Sanchez is. A guy whose stuff is so electric that batters can hardly hit it, and he sometimes can barely control it. He’ll never be the ace of a staff, but he’s a terrific pitcher to have in your starting rotation.

• James said, on April 8, 2011 at 9:34 pm

There was no issue of Sanchez losing his composure at any time today. The first 3 pitches he threw to Theriot could easily have been called strikes. He got out of that inning. He threw 61 strikes out of 94 pitches. How exactly did he demonstrate that his head was not “on straight?”

62. twinfan said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Who is Rowand going to start for? The answer should be: no one. He’s making a better contribution off the bench than he would starting.

• zumarust said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Rowand is using the whole field better so far than the last year or so. He has a nice batting stroke going. He’s earned a start. Maybe even tomorrow. Belt could use a day off. Put Huff at first.

63. twinfan said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Belt would be the logical choice but I didn’t want to freak you boys out.

64. DJLoo said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Bochy needs to show the same decisiveness that he showed last year when he sat Rowand and Zito. Put Huff back on first every day. He’s joke out there. Belt can wait.

• zumarust said, on April 8, 2011 at 10:02 pm

The timeline as is, is OK. Belt has until Ross comes off the DL to show whether he’s fully ready for the Show or not.

65. Big Flavor said, on April 8, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Ah…. Victory. I listened to pieces but i just watched the entire gm— pre drama flag fly over shit to the end. Not a bad way to end a long shitty week….

66. Big Flavor said, on April 8, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Thanks for the posts today, you guys. I could talk about the ‘stick all day. It binds us. It connects us. Right now I’m 10 years old, sitting in the right field bleachers and rough trade is tossing me a soda from the other side. Mike ivey just hit a grand slam….

67. Kevin said, on April 8, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I think Sanchez does better this year, he won 13 last year, an improvement over the year before. If you read the Chron article on him, he had the lowest ERA of all the pitchers. Sure he needs to get his pitch count down, but he gives the team a chance to win. that is all I want.

68. zumarust said, on April 8, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Pretty cool how they can time it so that the singer is hitting the last note of the anthem just as the flyover is happening. Think of the logistics of that.

• Flavor said, on April 9, 2011 at 6:01 am

i think about that every single time it happens……

69. James said, on April 8, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Wire . . . Wire Train . . . Train. A very sad progression.