A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

When Torture Really Was Torture……

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 8, 2011

I really enjoyed reading the end of the last thread. There were two things that all Giants fans could agree on when it came to the ‘Stick: 1) the weather sucked and 2) there were a lot of bad seats. Zumie had me lol’ing about being in the upper deck CF and  not being able to see the ball and just watching which direction the players were running….

I remember a game in August of ’89 vividly–not the *game* actually but the trip up there. At the last minute my buddies and I decided to hit a day game.  We hopped in my ’73 Capri and headed up 101 from Palo Alto. We were sportin’ the sweet Summer tans, it was a hot day so we had the AC blaring and the windows open to still feel the warm breeze blowing through the car. Before  we hit Brisbane the windows were rolled up and we had the freaking heat blaring. It still amazes me that it can be 30 degrees colder in SF than it is in Palo Alto, a city maybe 25 miles or so south….

The ‘Stick was all I ever knew growing up so the cold and the view didn’t really ever bother me. It was more funny than anything else. We’d be literally shaking while watching a game and just going “What the hell is wrong with us that we are sitting outside in the cold watching our team lose again”. But back then it was the whole package— pre-game tail gate—game—post-game tail gate—sit in traffic talking about the game or anything really. Today’s Giant game really has none of that—we head to some micro-brewery before the game and enjoy our $10 beer in the warmth of the indoors. We sit in awesome seats. We hop on the train and get taken home swiftly and efficiently.

Torture? Today’s Giants fan has no idea…….

Actually, if you’ve never sat in the dead CF bleachers at ATT and you want a slight memory of what it was like at Candlestick, go sit in those seats. There’s a pretty good wind tunnel that runs through there. On cold days it will almost remind you of the good ‘ol days……

Baer will have the stadium polished shinier than their World Series rings this weekend. And that’s nice. We’ve got the best ballpark in the world. But to me it will never replace Candlestick where we had baseball and comaraderie and the genesis of memories that still, to this day, burn brightly even if the sun back then didn’t……

1. xootsuit said, on April 8, 2011 at 7:10 am

Back in the 80s, I had free time but no money (great trade off, btw, if you also have no responsibilities). I used to hit mid-week day games at the Stick, walk up and get a decent seat cheap. If the game went late, the onshore fog flow would start, in and the freezing cold swirling wind took over the park. If the game was quick, you could enjoy warm sun through the 9th.

I saw the Brian Johnson home-run game from straightaway CF, very near top row. The sun shone on the other side of the baseball so, yeah, I remember how hard it was to see the thing. JT hit a homer that suddenly became visible as it descended into the RF seats. Everyone of us out there in tree-line CF somehow all knew to look toward RF for the play. The response of other fans closer to the action must’ve sent signals to fans above them who in turn relayed the message to us. That game, of course, went long, 12 innings long. When the onshore flow blew in, I experienced the park-sized whirlwind like never before. It really tore through us up there on Peak Candlestick. Dog wraps slapped people in the face; people unfamiliar with the Stick, who had been relaxing in skimpy clothes, were suddenly shrieking and shaking their heads and saying, no, no, this can’t be possible! But we all stayed for that amazing win. My buddy and I had brought a secretary from our office to her first baseball game that day. She didn’t believe us when we said that had been a warm day at the Stick.

2. Rough Trade said, on April 8, 2011 at 7:20 am

Summer of 1978 I took a job as a beer vendor at the Stick. I was assigned the left field bleachers, because that’s where they put the new guys. No one wanted to work out there because the people couldn’t really afford much beer and that’s where all the fights broke out. Plus, you had to haul your ass up all those stairs to get more beer. But I had a ball, especially when the Dodgers game into town.
    Most memorable game was the one Mike Ivie hit a grand slam. It was afternoon game against the Dodgers. I remember working in the upper deck that game, and will never forget stopping to soak it all in as the crowd went nuts. Beer sales were brisk to say the least after that blast.

• xootsuit said, on April 8, 2011 at 7:24 am

Fantastic. I hope that’s chapter one in a long series of line drives from you about the place, RT.

• Rough Trade said, on April 8, 2011 at 7:30 am

Thanks. Sorry, a little fuzzy on my dates. Summer is misleading, as I actually started at the beginning of the season. That hr came in late May. No wonder the weather was so nice that day.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:15 am

my dad took me to that game–we were right field upper deck.

• Rough Trade said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:25 am

Amazing. I believe I was working above 3b. No fighting and unlike the bleachers, people would let you keep the .15cents. 🙂

3. UsedtobebigSarge said, on April 8, 2011 at 7:25 am

I only ever got to go to a few games there. But I remember one game I went to against the padres of course it was one of those days where it started off cool. I think I was maybe 14 or 15 and I only had 5 bucks so I bought an ice cream sandwich, because that’s all I could really afford and I sat there shivering eating ice cream. It was awesome. And there was also a bench clearing brawl that game, freaking sweet.

4. Giant Head said, on April 8, 2011 at 7:48 am

What a perfect topic for the first home game of the season…best topic of the year so far…

Lived at the Stick for my 5 years at San Jose State:) The must was to stop early at the best god-damned deli, Piccolo Pete’s right there in Daly City. Go the back way into the Stick, through questionable Hunter’s Point neighborhoods, park in the oputfield parking lot, walk up and buy your $2.50 bleacher seat ticket, get to bring whatever food and drinks you can carry into the game as long as it was a soda and in plastic…it was the best and cheapest date in college!

One Friday night game we did a Fraternity tail gate and took four of us with me driiving to polish off a case in the hour drive up the 280…we get to the game with probably about 80 of us sitting in the bleachers together…does not get better than that. Best part was the one drunk in the house started to push around another one of the guys in a playful obnoxious way and the other brother acted like he was being attacked, security quickly scooped down and tossed the bro as all of us started dying laughing that he got tossed for being his drunken self. Of course, he was just as happy to get tossed with the kegs still out in the parking lot…

Once in high school, there for a Sunday double header and after winnning the first and quickly losing the beginning of the second and starting to freeze our butts off, we decided to get some sun and sit in the upper deck dead center field and it actually looked like ants on the field, what a shock to feel like you are about a mile and a half from home plate….but after the game, you could actually get into the player’s parking lot and snagging autographs. My one buddy was struggling to find CHili Davius’ picture in the program and Chili told him, “You’re up shit creek!” Classic….

Greatest memory is being there for the Pennant Clincher against the Cubs…

5. Rough Trade said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:00 am

Found this because I couldn’t remember pricing back then.

July 1978: “The prices of hot dogs and beer sold to fans at Candlestick Park go up a nickel because the state is requiring vendors to spend about $50,000 for machinery to wrap hot dogs for health reasons. The new prices are 75 cents for hot dogs, 85 cents for domestic beer and 95 cents for premium beer.

6. willied said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:15 am

In the days of the chain link fence in the OF, there used to be a congregation in the RF corner beyond the fence. Even Mays used to hit them out of there…I can remember a game where he had the day off, and was brought in to PH in the 9th with SF trying to rally from behind. Twice in a row he hit a line shot that just curved foul down the RF line.
    Sat pretty close downstairs (wonder why?) for a midweek night game vs. Pads, froze our asses off as usual, but watching Sheffield just crush balls down the line was something. He fouled off a few long ones and eventually hit one out. Guy destroyed the Giants…there’s another topic, guys you came to watch that hammered SF. George Foster did that too, just whack frozen rope line shots one hop off the 365 sign.

Dodger games were in another realm all together tho. Saw one with my dad from near the back row under the overhang, beer flowing on a warm night, and couple near fights on the field (and of course off) involving Buckner and Jerry Johnson. Place just rocked from underneath there.
    Zum mentioned the walk of shame to RF, made famous by Lasorda. Rarely sat down near there, must have been fun. I do remember being at the game Jack Clark ran in there an out too early. and afterwards for weeks game long fans yelling at his ass, “Two outs Jack.”

7. willied said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:28 am

Buddies of mine grew up in San Diego and both moved up here and shared a pad, and they tell the same story as Flav. South bay summers are normally pretty warm, and these guys drive up to the Stick for a day game in their shorts and tee shirts, yadda yadda. Locals just laugh, and know it doesn’t matter what the weather looks like, you need jacket for SF. Usually about when you hit the airport, with all those big trees and dark clouds, you get that feeling of anticipation.

• zumarust said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:40 am

Yeah, you know the thought of the cooler air sounded good, but the fact that it could get Artic-cold was just not entering the thought process.

8. Kevin said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:29 am

I have a picture of my son and I at Candlestick, he is about 4 or 5 years old. of course he is in Giants gear. I happened to catch a day game where it was warm up until about 3:30.

9. twinfan said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:36 am

Well, you’re all on your games today, nice stuff. I’ve probably told all of my stories so I’ll just read yours.

10. zumarust said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:36 am

People mentioned the weather zone differences…..MANY a Central Valley person got burned on that (I mean, frozen on that) at least once (and some newbies still do.) 100 degrees in the Central Valley, put on your SHORTS AND T-SHIRT, I kid you not, and go to a game at Candlestick! What were we thinking?! I don’t know. When it’s 105 in the Central Valley in July, it’s just hard to think you would need to wear warm clothing and pack your warmest coat, and maybe bring a blanket, too, to go to a day game on a Saturday afternoon.
    But after getting fooled by that, we Valley folk always learned.

11. stixwiz said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:39 am

August of ’89 was my first and only shot at the Stick. Had been doing antique shows up in Washington and Oregon that Summer and slithered my van down the coast over about five days of exploring. Nice trees. Nice ocean-views.

Day before hitting the Stick, i was parked near Seal Rocks listening to the game over the radio and smoking a bowl. Damn! Up trots one of SF’s finest on a friggen horse! Wasn’t ready for that one. So he digs around a bit and finds my Minnesota stash under the seat and then starts snooping around in the back, tearing open boxes. I tell him to please cool it as he’s got everything i had with me and nothing back there but my merchandise. So after three or four boxes he decided i was probably being square with him and writes me up a ticket. He probably deduced that this Minnesotan was not bringing coals to Newcastle, as it were. Did not happen to still be in SF when i was to appear, so spose it’s still hanging over my head. Hope they’re not looking to add interest to the fine.

Anyway, after sleeping in the front seat of the one-ton GMC van which i called the Blue Whale, for four of the past five nights, i needed a shower something desperate and a peaceful night’s sleep. So i booked into the Bayview Motor Inn that evening, hit the bed and didn’t stir till well after dawn the next morning. Musta conked for about 14 hours. Ahh, life on the road.

So later that afternoon it was setup day at the Cow Palace. After putting my large display together it was off to the Stick where a young dude, there with mom and sib, asked if i needed a ticket. “Sure”. It was four-five seats above the wall in right-right center. Was wearing my leather jacket that evening and glad of it.

Giants lost by something like 4-2 to Terry Mulholland and the Fillies. Earlier that year they had traded him in the Bedrosian deal. But hey, did get to see that season’s NL Champs in action, It was the first time since watching them play the Cardinals in St. Louis in ’66 and the year before that vs. the Mets at Shea. Memorable times.

• zumarust said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:45 am

Stix, that’s a good example why any so-called “War on drugs” is a joke. The police will bust down doors in the ghetto to drag some shirtless guy out for an episode of “Cops,” but when I’m at the Shoreline amphitheatre watching a concert, there are people smoking marijuana everywhere, and have seen people snorting coke. No police in sight. They wouldn’t want to accidentally arrest the mayor’s son or something.

12. willied said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:47 am

Don’t remember who dreamed it up, but Crazy Crab had to be one of the stupidest and funniest things I ever saw at the Stick. Stupid fuck would stand up, jump around and wave his claws, and everyone in the whole place would stand up and boo as loud as they could and scream obscenities, and laugh like hell. United the entire stadium in approbrium (maybe taking their minds off the Giants and the game), and after screaming at this mofo, everybody felt better.

• Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:56 am

That was the point, Willied. It was a diversion from the travesty of a team on the field.

• zumarust said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:57 am

The crab was a pretty inspired idea. The idea of mocking cheesy sports mascots was cool. The Stick had its cool (in a good way) aspects. The music played between innings was often terrific. They were playing Elvis Costello’s “Pump It Up” long before anyone else was. I often heard REM and U2 played between innings. And the volume level was nice. It wasn’t ear-splittingly loud like nowadays.

13. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 8:55 am

Man, too many games to list. You’ve all heard about the Dogder/Giant twi-night doubleheader (twi-night doubleheader, how cool does that sound, anyway?) Mike Marshall / Pedro Guerrero riot.

The game when the Cubs pitcher’s (Maddux?) hat was blown off, got past Sanberg, and pinned itself 8′ up the CF fence, Krukow outdueling Fernando 1-0 in a game, sitting 20 rows deep in the upper reserved seats between home and 1st, and the fog was so think you couldn’t see the left or center fielders. Sitting in the upper deck near the RF foul pole, and being blown away when a guy 2 rows in front of us caught a mammoth blast by Darrell Evans. Almost catching a pop up from Willie McCovey in an old-timers game (in 1984?) Matt Williams doing his Babe Ruth home run impression (the swing and the trot) before a throwback uni game in ’92. Boo LeMaster. The entire ’78 season. Gaylord Perry’s game one win of the 1971 playoffs. If Marichal hadn’t needed to pitch the day before, the Giants go to the World Series. My mom taking 20 screaming kids to Bat Day when I was in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade (so that would be ’68, ’69, ’70, and ’71).

Went to the last game at the Stick. The ONLY time I sat in the upper deck in CF. 2nd to last row. Too fun. Didn’t even fell like I was actually there. I had a better view of the A’s game across the bay.

“2 outs, Jack!!!” “Chili dog!!” “Where’s yer dog, blue?!?” “Oooo-Ree-Bayyyy!” Matt he Bat. Will the Thrill. Caveman. Shooter. The Count. Moon Man.

14. TedSpe said, on April 8, 2011 at 9:15 am

I’ve probably already told all my stories but one thing, the best thing, about the ‘Stick was just like what Flav said in his intro “At the last minute my buddies and I decided to hit a day game.”. You *could* do that. At least in the ’80’s. Bunch of you sitting around like in the movie MARTY “Whadd’ya wanna do tonight?” “I dunno, whadd’*ya* wanna do?” “Hey, who’re the Giants playing?” “Cubs” “Ya wanna?” “Sure, why not?” and off you’d go, no problem getting a bleacher seat right behind Chili Davis. Good enough to see the game and surrounded by the funniest fucking fans in the world. Total disfunctional family atmosphere. I love our new park, truly, for so many reasons. And maybe it was my relative youth. But those days were the best. The absolute best.

15. Nipper said, on April 8, 2011 at 9:19 am

Ah ’85 a year to remember! Oh yeah! Guzzled down the brews freely then. Weaved my way home on 280 half conscious. Avoided Crystal Springs somehow.

• Flavor said, on April 8, 2011 at 9:53 am

I know I nail the thread when Nipper is dropping pearls…..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 10:04 am

LQTMWIGACO

…while I grab another cold one.

• TedSpe said, on April 8, 2011 at 10:31 am

But are we sure it has anything to do with the ‘Stick?

16. snarkk said, on April 8, 2011 at 9:23 am

I once took an acquaintance and his girlfriend both visiting from Switzerland to see their first US baseball game back sometime early or mid 80s, B4 the Humm Baby era. Giants were bad, as usual. Night game, mid-week. Sitting in the upper deck behind home plate, the wind was, as usual, swirling when the game started, but then just started howling — maybe around the 3rd inning — with some light fog/mist. I was prepared, had jackets, but by around the 6th or 7th or so, we were all just freekin frozen. I stopped explaining baseball to them, because my teeth were chattering. At one point, the wind blew the cap off the Giants pitcher (don’t remember who), and the cap danced passed the second baseman, then into CF. The CFer came in on it a little like trying to field a base knock. Bad move. It short hopped him with a wind gust — the crowd, such as we were, roared — and ended up against the CF fence. It was snowing hot dog wrappers out on the field. After that night, never saw the Swiss folks again. I do remember the Giants won. Classic ‘Stick…

17. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 9:28 am

Getting arrested with my girlfriend for gettting stoned in the LF bleachers on opening day in 1989. The 2 cops that cuffed my soon-to-be wife and I must have been the bottom of the police squad barrell. They were both about 5′-5″, and maybe 140 lb. between them. Neither was over 24. K is 5’10 and I’m 6’2″ so the cops seemed to be getting some perverse thrill at parading us around. The cops did the perp walk with us from the LF bleachers all the way around the lower level of the Stick to the RF foul pole, turned us around and walked us back to the little station somewhere near home plate.

The whole time K was getting madder and madder, and was just letting it fly at the cops. “Nothing better to do?” “What, are we working off the donuts?” “Is this the smaller, faster police force?” “You guys split your pay?” “Are we going to meet the great and powerful Oz now?” “When did they start hiring Ooompa loompas?” I was just laughing my ass off and trying to keep the situation from getting too hostile. I told the cops, the longer you walk us around, the more shit you’re going to hear from my girlfriend. By the time we got to the station, K was in rare form. The guy behind the desk didn’t want to hear anything, and pointed to the cage. I told K, cool it. After a couple tries, and me asking nicely to have our cuffs removed, K chilled out, we got our notices to appear, and were escorted out of the stadium.

It was still only the 4th inning, and I was sorely tempted to buy a couple more bleacher seats and watch the rest of the game, but thought better of it. So it was off to the Bit of England to watch the rest of the game on the tube, and wait for our friends to meet us after the game. Turned out to be a good game and the Giants came back to win late. Big Daddy was pitching, and got the win. I still have the “I Survived Opening Night 1989” button. It still makes me laugh . . .

18. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 9:33 am

Yeah, Ted. Back then I lived in San Mateo right off Peninsula (Woodlake Joe’s!!!), and it was like 10 minutes to the Stick. 12 pack for the drive, $2.50 for a bleacher seat, and all the weirdness you can create . . .

• TedSpe said, on April 8, 2011 at 9:56 am

Yes exactly, $2.50 a seat. Unbelievable

19. snarkk said, on April 8, 2011 at 9:56 am

Rough, I did a calculation on your 1978 beer that was at $.95. Based on the rise in the Bay Area CPI since then, the same beer should cost now about $3.41. Of course, that shows that nothing in baseball since then has risen just per the CPI…

20. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 10:09 am

Reading all these great stories about the ‘Stick you’d think it was an abandoned old rusty relic that not even the birds paid a visit to nowadays. Those lucky 49ers get to play there 10 times a year.

Torres CF, Sanchez 2B, Huff RF, Posey C, Sandoval 3B, Burrell LF, Belt 1B, Tejada SS, Sanchez P

21. kevinrd said, on April 8, 2011 at 10:36 am

oh, well if we are talking about “HighTimes” at the Stick. Those are endless stories. Hell almost anywhere you sat at the Stick if the wind was blowing the right way you could get a contact high!!

22. Macdog said, on April 8, 2011 at 11:30 am

Lived in San Carlos in ’89-90, the first time I had such easy access to an MLB ballpark, and took full advantage. As Flav mentioned about driving up 101 to get to the ‘Stick, for me it was seeing that Hollywood-like SSF sign and know I was getting close. Always a great, cheap time. My uncle from Berkeley showed me where to park for free, on some access road near an overpass, which made for a brisk walk to and fro. Sometimes I’d stop in Brisbane and pick up a sub. More often that not I sat in those LF bleachers. And what a crowd! All five senses were truly engaged. That the Giants won the pennant made it all the more glorious. I, too, had a Huey Lewis sighting in the lot after one of the NLCS games.

I used to laugh at anyone bothered by the cold. My stock line was try sitting in Giants Stadium in Dec/Jan, with winds that can rival the ‘Stick. But that didn’t stop me from being well-prepared for any kind of temperature at the ‘Stick and in The City in general.

23. TedSpe said, on April 8, 2011 at 11:51 am

My uncle from Berkeley showed me where to park for free,
    ————————————————————————–
    I never knew of such a place but my buddy knows a neighborhood, still uses it for Niners games, where you can pay a local guy to watch your car for less then it costs at the lot and it’s a pretty short walk. I’ve gone to games with him about a dozen times but personally, I can never remember where it is on my own.

24. xootsuit said, on April 8, 2011 at 12:01 pm

When the dodgers were in town, or when the Giants were in the race late in the season, the crowds at the Stick were great, and even the best crowd at China Basin can’t do better. But there were so many games at the Stick with sparse crowds. I remember one, in the late 90s when the team was excellent. My kid and I got cheap seats at the railing of the upper deck but behind the plate, with a great view of Jeff Kent turning on the first high FB he saw in the bottom of the 10th for a walkoff HR. Two older guys sat behind us during the game. There were thousands of empty seats. I think they just wanted to talk. My son was enthralled by their stories of Marichal and Mays and McCovey, etc. Very nice afternoon.

25. Kevin said, on April 8, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Well, I thought I was a good Giants fan, but looking at Shulmans article about Jonathan Sanchez, it lists the starting pitchers for ATT park since 2000, and in 2004 Jerome Williams was the Giants starter, and for the life of me I can not even remember what he looked like! He was even credited with the win.

• xootsuit said, on April 8, 2011 at 12:13 pm

You’d recognize a photo of him.

• xootsuit said, on April 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm

(another black guy from Hawaii made his national debut later that summer)

• snarkk said, on April 8, 2011 at 12:17 pm

He was the guy that wore a puka shell necklace when he pitched. From Hawaii. According to Wiki, was last in the A’s minors, now pitching in Taiwan? Good kid, was way overhyped, I think the Giants brought him too fast, he cratered, had control issues, never really recovered after getting sent to the Cubs and then passed around a bit…

26. Kevin said, on April 8, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Season opener pitcher is what I meant to say

27. Kevin said, on April 8, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Ah the puka shells I remember him now. He was okay.

28. twinfan said, on April 8, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Jerome came up in 2003 after 4+ years in the minors, he was hardly rushed .Not everything is someone’s fault. He just wasn’t good enough.

29. Macdog said, on April 8, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Would it hurt MLB Network to show the flag-raising ceremony for the WS champs instead of yet another marathon Yanks-Red Sox game? I guess so.

30. uglyfinder said, on April 8, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Ugh. St. Louis introduced. Crowd getting pumped. All psyched for the banner raising, and now we have to listen to fucking TRAIN? It’s like getting ready to lose your virginity, but first your girlfriend insists on punching you in the balls.

• TedSpe said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:00 pm

LQTM

31. twinfan said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Grizzlies won their opener 11-1.Ford had a grand slam, Neal had 2 hits and a SB, Vogelsong was sharp, David Mixon closed . Kroon did not pitch.
    Richmond also won- Culberson had 3 hits, catcher Johnny Monell had 2, Stoffel got the save.
    San Jose won, too. Kelvin Marte got the win, Brown was 1 for 3 with a SB, Tommy Joseph was 2 for 4..
    Nice start for all..

32. Sandy said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Wilson…very classy speech

33. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:27 pm

That was pretty neat having the entire team with the Horse as its representative throw out the ceremonial first pitch. If you watched closely, the ball thrown by Zito was hit by Pujols into the 25th row.

34. Kevin said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:32 pm

MLB game day uses a picture of the park that is being played in as background for game day. maybe later they will post a video of the banner being raised. That would be cool. I am recording the game at home.

35. Kevin said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Check it out

• Sandy said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Cool graphics this year…hadn’t been here yet this season

36. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:35 pm

“Manny Ramirez has decided to retire after being informed of an issue under the Drug Program.”

I could give two shits except for the fact that the dumbass was on my fantasy team. Fuck him.

• Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:39 pm

You even got EX-Dodgers??? Classic.

And Whitehead?

37. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Shit. Missed the speech.

Ted, the easiest place to park for free is on Geneva St. Yer in South City, but you just walk under the overpass, and you are there. A 10 minubte walk.

Of course back in the day, I had a 1971 Skylark that looked right at home there.

Let’s GO Drrrrrty . . .

• TedSpe said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Thanks, Chuck. South City or Daly City?

• Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Tunnel Road?

YIKES!!!

38. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Wow. Settle down, Sanchez . . .

39. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Time to call up Vogelsong…

40. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Drrrty missed the target bad last 2 . . .

41. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Money!!!!

42. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Sanchez needed that big time. One more Dirrty…

43. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Nice . . .

44. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Weeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Criminy, Huffsters adventures in RF continue . . . .

45. twinfan said, on April 8, 2011 at 1:59 pm

The maturation of Dirty should be complete- what we see this year should be what he is. His first inning rebound was encouraging..

46. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride continues in RF. I thought he was supposed to be the best athlete on the team.

• TedSpe said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:10 pm

That’s why baseball’s such an interesting game. Hell, Michael Jordon was the best athlete on the Birmingham Barons

• TedSpe said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:10 pm

uh…JordAn

47. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Woooo. Big break. That was going to be 3 . . .

48. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:14 pm

5 out inning?

49. twinfan said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:17 pm

“I thought he was supposed to be the best athlete on the team.”
    That was always a joke…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:29 pm

As was my comment. Jesus. Hey, Miggy with the big fly. That’ll work.

One more time…”If we don’t homer, we D’ONT score.”

50. twinfan said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Man, they’re finding Aubrey. Probably see him in left tomorrow. Or first…

51. Macdog said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Miggy Pop!

52. twinfan said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Damn, I wish he’d just doubled…

• James said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:44 pm

The number of walks belies the high percentage of strikes Sanchez has thrown over 2 games so far.

53. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Nice little inside-out swinging there by the Fruckster. We scored w/o hitting a HR.
    That’s not how it’s supposed to work.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Hitting into an inning ending double play is how it works. Thanks for nuttin’ Buster.

54. dirtnrocksnreno said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Chronicle Game View. The poor man’s Game Day.

55. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Cincy Reds in 71, 72 . . .

56. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:44 pm

No, 72, 73?

57. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Name the last NL team to go back to back WS wins.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Reds 75-76.

58. James said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:48 pm

The reply I chose not to make to Twin’s comment above was “LQTM.” The comment reset on WordPress is a pain in the ass for us equivocating types.

59. Kevin said, on April 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Video of Tejada homer and Sanchez double over on MLB. for those that don’t have a Television to watch.

60. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Crazy wind out there . . .

61. Kevin said, on April 8, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Nice 1,2,3 inning for Sanchez

62. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 3:03 pm

There you go, Andres. THAT’S how a lead off hitter does it.

63. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 3:04 pm

If he doesn’t slide, he mighta gotten tagged out.

64. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 3:06 pm

2 DPs? I guess you bunt . . .

65. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Posey needs a hit . . .

66. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 3:08 pm

damn . . . that was a shot . . .

67. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Great job by Mota. That dribbler from Pujols wasn’t an easy play. Nice going.

68. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 8, 2011 at 3:23 pm

If Burrell doesn’t homer, he don’t hit.

69. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Feast or famine with Pat the Bat.

3 HRs, 3 RBIs, 3 runs.

70. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 3:25 pm

There ya go, Belt . . .

71. eddacker415 said, on April 8, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I wonder if Huff feels better in left, I know it feels better to me (with Nate in right, too.
    Twin nails the coaching move for tomorrow?
    Almost midnight with a coke and a smoke enjoying opening day. Still basking in my team.
    too bad about manny, I just watched a puff piece on espn on how he was back into his game training. OK
    BW back soon mota and jeremy holding the fort.

72. twinfan said, on April 8, 2011 at 3:55 pm

But how do you sit a guy with 3 HRs?

73. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Nice pick on both ends . . .

74. Unca Chuck said, on April 8, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Jeremy just ain’t getting that call . . .