A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Showdown in D-Town…..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 18, 2011

As I said yesterday, this is going to be an exciting series to watch unfold. I am really interested in seeing how we match up against one of the best teams in the National League. Sure, we stride into town with our shiny rings in tow, but the Rockies are the current measuring stick. For starters, they’ve got the best record in baseball. And while they have a decent pitching staff, it’s their offense that will be waking Bochy up in the middle of the night. You guys have probably all seen the “double rainbow” guy on youtube. That dude could just as easily have been looking at the Rockies starting line up: “Oh my God, OH MY GOD!! It’s so beautiful! What does it all mean?”

For starters you’ve got Fowler on top and while he’s only got 2 sb’s this year, that guy has speed to spare. Plus, he’s killed us in his short career. Then you get into the middle of the LU and you’ve got Bonds and Kent….I mean, Cargo and Tulo—the NL MVP voting could easily come down to a runoff between those two. Pick your poison, especially in their park–either will kill you. Then there’s the resurgence of Todd Helton to follow, he’s *only* hitting .342. Steer clear of him, if you can, at least till his back gets balky again. And their catcher, Iannetta, is waiting near the bottom of the LU to pounce on you if you aren’t careful. I predict a very strong year from Mr Iannetta. He got squeezed last year by Tracy who never really gave him a chance and kicked him down to the minors for much of the season. But this guy has big-time power emerging. He’s not going to hit .280 but he could easily hit 25 bombs this year with an OPS over .850. Seriously, watch out for this guy……

How will we do? I’ve got no clue. We are throwing our 3 best pitchers at them, 3 of the best pitchers in the league. But I am far from confident that they can buzz through this line up. We are the World Champs and the Rockies have to go through us to prove they’re for real. But part of me feels like Rocky in his first fight vs Clubber Lang. Prediction: Pain……

1. DJLoo said, on April 18, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Who’s this sorry lookin’ hick they brought in to pitch?
    Double digits here we come…

2. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 18, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Booked hotel near Cooperstown so we can see the WS trophy in May. That’s gonna be fun. Loo? Macdog?

• DJLoo said, on April 18, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Can you get a crib for me in your room?

3. ferrethead said, on April 18, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Hi everybody! You may or may not have noticed, but I’ve been even more absent than usual – I got hurt in a car accident last week and haven’t been on the ‘puter for the better part of the week. Fortunately, the Giants started playing better, and as well all know, Ws are the best medicine!!! LOVING how this game has started, hope it continues.

Is it me, or does it sound like there are a lot of Giants fans in the stands?

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:00 pm

lots of good meds for ya tonight, FH; feel better

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I hope you’re feeling better. I’ve noticed the conspicuous absence of “WOO-HOO’S” of late after our wins. No excuses tonight. We’ll be expecting one after this complete annihilation.

4. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 18, 2011 at 6:42 pm

This game reminds me of the Randy Cross quote from Super Bowl XIX. “Came to see an offense, and the wrong one showed up.”

5. stixwiz said, on April 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Go get em Ferret. Howdja like Timmy’s pitching tonight? Mostly groundouts and K’s. Sweet.

6. DJLoo said, on April 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Jints in NY, May 3-5, Pawlie…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on April 18, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Loo, can’t go to the games — weekdays — so going to the HOF thingy.

7. snarkk said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Guess Burrell is safe from getting DFA’d for at least another game…

• twinfan said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Yeah, moron, that’s how you save your job. Hit.

• snarkk said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:52 pm

You’re the tool that said he was in danger. Not a chance…

8. xootsuit said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Isn’t that the same leg that took the hit from the barrell of the broken bat?

9. big flavor said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:15 pm

The notion that Burrell was ever about to get cut, while leading the team in HR’s with a .796 OPS, was ludicrous…….

10. twinfan said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Baggarly disagreed. But he and I both said it would likely be Belt. Get your fucking facts straight.

11. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:21 pm

HR or strikeout [or HBP].

12. big flavor said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:27 pm

buzzkill. I was gonna get my no-hitter dance on…..

13. DJLoo said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Oh well. Maybe Vogelsong gets an inning or two…

14. twinfan said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Not a lotta “pain” yet, Flavor.

15. DJLoo said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Al Oliver had 529 doubles?!?

16. James said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:33 pm

It’s great to see 95 in the 7th.

17. James said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Al Oliver hit more 360 ft outs to left center than any other left handed SF hitter, ever.

18. PawlieKokonuts said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:36 pm

We were like players in the dugout, not saying a word about you-know-what in the 7th inning. I’ll say this, the more I hear/watch Kruk&Kuip, the more impressed am I. The just kept it low-key and smart and classy. And subtle in their comments. About the potential no-no. Such as it was.

• big flavor said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:47 pm

i’ve gotten the mlb package this year after a 2 year hiatus and I agree with you. The CHicago White Sox announcers make me want to puke……

19. stixwiz said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:40 pm

No-hit shutout vs. Colorado at the Box of Rox. Not bad, actually. Even for Timmy. After the Arizona fiasco yesterday, i expressed the hope that Lincecum would be on his game and that the hitters would do something for him. Thanx, guys.

20. xootsuit said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Now that is a cool stat — Lincecum tied with Mathewson for most 10+ SOs in a game. I haven’t heard Krukow sound so giddy since Carlos Santana stopped by to bless the ballpark.

• xootsuit said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:47 pm

• xootsuit said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:53 pm

deft

• xootsuit said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Now, if you could just change “most 10+ SOs in a game” to “most 10+ SO games,” my post would really be ready for prime time.

21. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Anyone have Reds P Mike Leake in our fantasy league? He’d be a real “steal” off the waiver wire.

Mike Leake was booked into the Hamilton County Justice Center today, accused of theft. Leake was booked into the jail at 2:32 p.m. by Cincinnati police. Leake, of Ludlow, was arrested after Macy’s department store loss prevention employees stopped the Reds pitcher today after they say he took $59.88 in property from the store.

Couldn’t they have just said $60? That sounds so much less demeaning than $59.88. Tho I can’t blame Leake for shopping, if indeed he was actually “shopping” at Macy*s. They do have nice items.

• Bozo said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Doh!

22. stixwiz said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Incrfrogginredible. Tying the great Mathewson in K stats in his short career is one amazing feat. Next Kruk will have to start comparing him to the stats amassed by the top strikeout artists of all time. He’ll own the Giants record within the next 5 games, most likely.

23. Flavor said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:52 pm

unless this was a misunderstanding, this dude has some kind of mental illness or something. At least a conduct disorder. He’s got money…….

24. snarkk said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I guess the Jints, so far, look a little better than the Mets…

25. TedSpe said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I just can’t get over it. Every time Rowand has an AB, he looks like a homeless guy taking a dump on Turk and Ellis

• Bozo said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Ted, I think Larry moved over to North Beach.

• TedSpe said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:01 pm

You lost me their, bozo

• TedSpe said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:02 pm

their?

26. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 18, 2011 at 7:58 pm

On a night when the Giants score 8, Rowand and Tejada go a combined 0 fer 8.
    Someone might say, “that’s poetic.” What line is that movie from?

• TedSpe said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:05 pm

TAXI DRIVER?

• Flavor said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I didn’t realize we were having a beauty contest at the track today”…..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I bet a girl in a beauty contest like that would have long legs. You know the kind, the kind that go…
        “all the way from my ass to the floor.”

• Flavor said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:36 pm

had it been socially acceptable, and I had more confidence at the time, I would have beat off right then and there in the theater when she said that……

27. xootsuit said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Hey, Colorado fans, tickets are still available for tomorrow night’s game against THE REIGNING WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

28. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Not only is Timmy a role model to our youngsters with his diet, he shows ’em how to properly move your dip along the gum lines with your tongue.

• ferrethead said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Ick!!!

• Flavor said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:13 pm

welcome back, FH. I DID notice your absence and you were missed. I’m glad you’re ok. You’ve gone through an awful lot of shit lately, hopefully your bad luck is over for a while…..

29. Bozo said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Hell yeah. Got the first one.

30. mrmrbill said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Now just two games short of a sweep! Better than being two girls short of a threesome.

31. ferrethead said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Woo-Hoo!!! (ow!)

32. twinfan said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:06 pm

That’s called a statement, an emphatic one..

33. stixwiz said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Timmy and the Team. Just what the doctor ordered. Vogelsong looked pretty decent out there in his much needed inning of work. Rest of the pen was happy about Lincecum’s start and Ryan finishing it off. They should be good for tomorrow. If Drrrty is as well, things could be looking up. Ubaldo is no Rogers, though. So things could go tight for awhile ~ even at Coors.

• twinfan said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:12 pm

They’ve had success against Ubaldo before..

34. TedSpe said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I’m a little lost. Why did Krupe or Kripe say Lincecum didn’t have a victory?

35. Flavor said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:14 pm

As I recall, we kicked Ubaldo around last year in Coor Field during the time he was dominating. July 4th? Something like that and no I haven’t looked it up I’m just fucking rainman with dates (assuming I’m right).

• Rough Trade said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Pretty good. July 3rd. Ubaldo was 14-1 at the time.

G’s scored 7 in the 3rd, with Ishi getting the big blow…a Grand Slam.

• Flavor said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:27 pm

see, now I remember everything but the Ishi blast. No recollection of that whatsoever………

• twinfan said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Yeah, I’ve talked about that game and Travis’ slam a few times…

• Flavor said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I bet Travis will be talking about it tomorrow night, too……

36. TedSpe said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I’m a very good driver. A very good driver.
    Uh oh..fart…fart

37. TedSpe said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Funny Flav used the Clubber Lang metaphor on this thread.
    Cuz no question, Pablo Sandavol’s purchased the Mr. T Starter Kit

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:27 pm

He has the Mohawk and chains around the neck. Too bad Pablo couldn’t resurrect George Peppard’s career for a third time.

• TedSpe said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:32 pm

If he could….if only

38. snarkk said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Stat of the night: Panda 3 walks out of 4 ABs. Now, I like that a lot…

39. Flavor said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:29 pm

that is absolutely the stat of the night. Those Rox pitchers just kept dumb fucking their way to the scouting report (“don’t throw him a strike”). Pablo just kept letting them go by. Huge growth for him…….

• James said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:48 pm

If Pablo walks 70 times this year, he wins the MVP.

40. TedSpe said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Bochy:
    “We lost a tough one yesterday. It’s been tough. Timmy’s been good. Not much talk. Burrell got all that one. Kinda Barry. Nate had a couple hits. Nice ones. Just ben 3 weeks. These guys play hard. You gotta go out and play well”

Riveting

41. James said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:40 pm

“There’s a lot of baseball left . . . .” That’s one cliche phrase I have no problem with.

• TedSpe said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Especially in April

• James said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Ted, I was trying to be sorta profound there.

• TedSpe said, on April 18, 2011 at 9:01 pm

My apologies

• James said, on April 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I’ll accept the apology if I get POTD.

42. twinfan said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Oh God. Bashing Bochy over his communication skills again…his players seem to get his message, Ted..

• TedSpe said, on April 18, 2011 at 8:53 pm

twin, I’m not saying he doesn’t have a handle on his players and they don’t trust him. Fuck…I’ve never bashed him as a manager, never…but if you’re going to tell me I don’t have the right to make fun of his awkward fucking press conferences….well, you just ain’t got no sense of fun.
      And I’m telling you, I won’t let you stop me from fucking with his press conferences. If I make a bonehead opinion on his coaching…let’r rip. But he’s the dullest motherfucking press interview ever.
      For once, I would love him to do the Walter Huston dance. JUST ONCE!

43. Big Flavor said, on April 18, 2011 at 9:00 pm

eitherTwin doesn’t understand the definition of the word *bash* or we don’t understand Twin’s definition of the word *bash*. I could live with either being fact……

44. twinfan said, on April 18, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I would never dream of stopping you or anyone else, Ted. Have at him.

• TedSpe said, on April 18, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Thank you. But be honest. Wouldn’t you have loved to see him do the Walter Huston dance? Just once? I mean…he SO has the look.

• twinfan said, on April 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm

The thing is, his communication skills and big head were really the true source of the criticism of him. Blog potatoes are shallow creatures..

45. twinfan said, on April 18, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Some people think coach/manager press conferences are important.Fuck, I just can’t help you if you’re one of them. Who’s that New England coach? The mumbler? No MLK there…

• TedSpe said, on April 18, 2011 at 9:18 pm

See? I don’t. I know it’s just an obligation he has to do and doesn’t particularly enjoy it. Again, I just wish he could have more fun with it. But *I’m* just having fun. Don’t take too much in what I say as a criticism of Bochy. It is not. It’s a criticism of the obligation..waste of time unless you’re a freaking comedian.
      Waste of time

• twinfan said, on April 18, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I find he has a rather droll sense of humor. Some don’t see that. Whatever.
        Talk to you later, bedtime. I was up a long time today, tired.

• TedSpe said, on April 18, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Goodnight. Take care

• TedSpe said, on April 18, 2011 at 11:09 pm

BTW, I get it when he does it. Just wish he’d use it more. No bigee

• xootsuit said, on April 18, 2011 at 9:56 pm

When times were tough Bochy had the aw shit he’s scufflin but thiing down pat, but when times got good, in large part because he rose to the occasion, Bochy’s post game interviews got very interesting. The guy is smart and funny, and he always gives his players their due. Great guy.

46. stixwiz said, on April 18, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Colorado was winning like crazy without facing particularly good teams ~ mediocre at best. Well, it happened tonight ~ good team ~ great pitcher. Giants now have a 50-50 shot at winning yet another series. Go get em gang.

47. James said, on April 18, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I have added “Let It Ride” to my Netflix queue. It is has joined 2 rare Eric Rohmer’s and an early Jacques Becker in the “saved” section of currently unavailable DVDs.

48. xootsuit said, on April 18, 2011 at 9:50 pm

How chic. Ever watch Jean Pierre Melville? Now there’s a fuckin frog who knew how to make a movie.

• James said, on April 18, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Seen most of ’em, twice, of course, Xoot, my fellow Berkeley Bourgey. Melville, a mere soupcon of chic, while Becker delivers the real frisson . . .

• xootsuit said, on April 18, 2011 at 11:05 pm

bullshit. Bob the Gambler is a masterpiece.

• James said, on April 18, 2011 at 11:19 pm

The girl in Bob the G made my heart ache. Le Samourai is the masterpiece, though, and that is not bullshit.

• xootsuit said, on April 18, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Now you’re splitting irrelevant hairs as you flee. Bob the Gambler is a movie every gambler should see. The Samurai (as the title is usually translated in our barbaric country) is good too. JP Melville is, as I said, reallly great. But Bob le Flambeur is THE masterpiece. People who post here would appreciate it.

• xootsuit said, on April 18, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Well, I hope so . . . .

• James said, on April 19, 2011 at 7:51 am

Not even Leonard Maltin translates the titles.

49. Sportdude said, on April 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Hey all,
    Bochy was the perfect manager when Belt got told he was staying up (in Franchise preview)..”Hey, have a beer, and hang out with me if you want.” Not gruff, Not touchy feely, perfect.