A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

What Do these 2 Games Do to the Power Rankings?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 20, 2011

All the sports sites have their *power rankings*. I actually almost never look at them because they don’t ever seem to match who I think are the best teams in the league. I’m assuming Colorado was pretty high up as recently as Sunday night. I will admit that I was fooled into believing they were one of the top teams in the league, too. But if that’s the case then where do the Power Rankings put the Giants? We’ve been bitch-slapping the Rockies for 2 straight games, it hasn’t even been close. Now, it helps that we’ve come out and buz-sawed them in both first innings–that’s made it easier for our pitchers to pitch with a relaxed lead. But the first inning is just as important as any other. If we were doing this at ATT I’d say, “Well, it’s just 2 games, they play better at home, etc” but we are doing this to them in their yard!

Darren Ford or Brandon Belt? We all know what’s going to happen, Belt is going down. Baggs threw out the slim possibility that it could be Ford but why would we do that? So Belt can sit on the bench and watch a few more games? Ford’s speed is intoxicating. He can’t hit but how great would it be to have this guy on the bench all game just waiting for the late inning pinch run? He’s almost an automatic stolen base. Or two……

The Flap Fantasy Baseball Standings (Pawlie hangs on, Blade Rises, Ed Maintains His Vice-Like Grip on Last)….

1. PawliesPandas 105.5 1 1 11
10. Giant Head 59.5 6.5 13 23
11. Ferretball 51.5 0.5 10 3
12. NoTalent 51 -2 6 12
13. Dirt Bags 50 3.5 2 20
14. Berra’s Bombers 36 1 9

1. Bozo said, on April 20, 2011 at 6:59 am

As much as I like Ford, I’d probably send both Belt and Ford down and bring Ishi back as the lefty off the bench.

2. xootsuit said, on April 20, 2011 at 7:03 am

Rowand’s injury last night probably gives Ford the extra weight he needs on his side of the scale — for now.

3. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2011 at 7:37 am

Not certain a rainout postponement will happen, but good possibility of delays . . .

Tonight: Showers likely, mainly before midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40. Breezy, with a south wind 18 to 21 mph decreasing to between 7 and 10 mph. Winds could gust as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

• Unca Chuck said, on April 20, 2011 at 8:18 am

It’s a day game, so what’s the forecast then?

4. raymond said, on April 20, 2011 at 7:49 am

god, I love that baseball is back and the gmen are kicking some butt in colo!!!

is it just me, or does it seem that so far mike fonty is playing short just as good, if not better then miggy??! at first didn’t like the tejada pu, then embraced it and now feel like I’m yelling at him as much as I was rowand and zeets at times last year!!! and, it’s only april!

• Big Flavor said, on April 20, 2011 at 8:00 am

Ray, one of our great giants fans; at least according to his facebook pics/postings. You still rollin’ with the beard my man??

• raymond said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:32 am

flav- thanks for the props about our gmen…no, shaved the beard about 2 weeks after the season, would’ve kept it awhile longer if i knew bweezy was keeping his!! but wearing some scruff well and people all around ask if i’m gonna grow another!

5. Nipper said, on April 20, 2011 at 7:52 am

Ferretball is rising in the standings!

6. willied said, on April 20, 2011 at 8:10 am

Gamer isn’t sitting out, I don’t think. ford becomes extraneous if/when torres returns and shows he is fully healed. ross can play CF too. zum made a good point last night, what is SF going to do with deRosa?
    I’m reminded of Sabean’s past comment about AAA stats. Besides the obvious fact of which of these two would help the big club more, who benefits the most by staying around mlb players vs. playing everyday in AAA?
    I think Belt should stay and be a part of the LF mix, get an occasional start and a chance to be late game Ishi, and learn how to be a big leaguer around Huff and burrell and the other vets. I think he gets more out of this and the club does too as opposed to slapping AAA pitching around in fresno.

7. Unca Chuck said, on April 20, 2011 at 8:22 am

Willie, I think Belt is better served getting playng every day. The brain trust is fairly sure they aren’t going to get a ton of improvement from Ford hitting-wise. He’s a total distraction on the basepaths as evidenced in the win last year he helped by stealing 3rd and scoring on the errant throw, and yesterday’s deal before the HR by Huff.

Granted, he almost got picked off, but shit, his leads were crazy big. It totally fucked with Morales’ head.

Ford is the easy choice to stay.

8. Flavor said, on April 20, 2011 at 8:32 am

agreed. As much as I’d like to keep Belt around to face big league pitching, the fact is he’s not going to get anything more than a spot start right now. AAA pitching is as close as he’s going to get to what he needs right now…..

9. Kevin said, on April 20, 2011 at 8:37 am

Okay, so the Giants have looked like the team that won the WS over the last two games, scoring early and letting the pitching and D hold the rest of the game. So what does this mean in the long run. can they continue this through out the year? They are crazy good when they play like this. first series against the Rox, does it mean anything, will the rest of the league feell like the Giants are sending a message?

10. willied said, on April 20, 2011 at 8:49 am

OK…are you telling me Ford doesn’t need to hit, because he won’t ever get any starts here at all. If we don’t need a PR, then this guy never gets on the field at all and doesn’t even play. How does that help him or the team? I think this is the guy that needs to play every day in fresno, after his season in AA pitchers league/big yard last year. Play and hit and run and be a late call up and let sf get an idea if he is a keeper or not. If he can’t hit you can’t waste a roster spot when you have so many OF guys with mlb experience.
    Belt takes over Nate’s spot as LH/PH and replaces Huff or an OF for defense, and eases his way in, and has a shot to take over the LF job from burrell and rowand. I could see that working out better than both of above struggle while belt is in fresno and then gets called up to take their spot with the same pressure all over again.

11. xootsuit said, on April 20, 2011 at 8:54 am

Now Colorado knows how Texas felt last October.

12. stixwiz said, on April 20, 2011 at 8:56 am

As much as i like Belt and feel he’s a long-term keeper, i’m inclined to go on board with those who feel he would personally be better served by playing (both 1B and in the outfield) on a daily basis for Fresno than getting spurts and blurts in The Show.

Ford is worth keeping around for long enough to see whether he can hit ML pitching at a .250 clip and maintain an OBP of nothing lower than .300. If so, he could be a keeper simply for the times he manages to get on base and, of course, as a late-inning pinch-runner/defensive replacement. Twin does not consider him a real prospect. My bar is set pretty low so far as getting on base goes. If he can meet those minimal standards he becomes a net positive for a speed-starved team.

Belt again. In the games in which i’ve watched him bat, he rarely swings at pitches outside the zone and though he has struck out a lot, most of those K’s came after fouling off pitches earlier in the count. What this tells me is that he’s just missing on a bunch of his swings. Starting regularly for Fresno should get him the steady diet he needs and could well improve his reads and his timing. Next time around, he could easily get keyed in from the get-go and provide the kinda numbers we anticipate from this primo prospect.

13. snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:19 am

Belt goes down, he needs the everyday hitting to get more confidence, and turn that great AB patience he has into again smoking the cripple pitch. Plus, maybe it’s getting obvious you can’t have a steady diet of Huffster in the OF, because it brings the overall OF level of D down, plus itz a distraction to his hitting. So Belt should also get lots more OF reps and coaching with the Grizz, because with Huff around the next 2 seasons in SF, Belt will make himself more valuable as a real combo OF/1B replacement. He played OF before in college, so itz not a foreign thing at all to him, and he’s not going to lose his 1B glove skills. As for Ford, he creates havoc when on base, sure. Itz getting on that’s tough for him, and learning to avoid the actual or near pick offs. From what I’ve seen, he clearly needs to spend more time in AAA. He gone when Torres back. Isn’t Ford nearly 26? He looks like a career AAAA candidate, the OF version of Burriss…

14. TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:19 am

Flav, your polls have a sleeker look to them now. Esthetically speaking. Modern, high tech, 21st century, the shizzle.

Say could someone answer a question for me? willied mentioned Ross can play some center field as well. So out of curiosity, I went to baseball-reference to look at his standard fielding stats. As you know, they breakdown how many games someone played at what position and when, etc. I know what CF, LF, RF means but what do they mean by OF? I know it means “outfield” but my question is, does that mean someone started in one field and then switched during the game? Thanks

• Unca Chuck said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:26 am

It means, oh fuck, we don’t remember where he played.

• Nipper said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:35 am

Oh BLEEP!

• twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:37 am

It’s broken down by LF, CF, etc, “OF” is the total of all. So you would see that Ross started 3 games in LF, 9 in CF, 5 in RF for us, thus 17 in “OF”. You’ll also see in total games played (not nessesarily started) the total doesn’t match because he sometime swicthed positions during the course of the game.

• TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:38 am

Thanks. That makes about as much sense as my theory

• twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:52 am

Pardon fucking me? Just say you don’t understand.

• xootsuit said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:15 am

If you look closely, Ted, you’ll see similar statistical brilliance where BBallRef totals things up for the year. Certain number of games for one team, certain number for another, and a grand total, too. It’s the shizzle.

15. twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:27 am

Well, since Brandon is swinging worse than even Ford is… right now Darren brings more to the team.

• James said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:34 am

Belt has a much better SB percentage than Ford right now.

• twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:44 am

You’re joking, right? 2 for 2 vs. 1 for 2?

• James said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:47 am

Yes, gay ass smiley face comment.

16. Birddog said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:28 am

Send Fontenot down and give Belt some time to adjust to the big leagues. Belt has more upside and just needs time to develop. A spot role miht be perfect for him for awhile.

• twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:46 am

Leaving DeRosa as the only middle infield reserve? Good one, Bird.

• Birddog said, on April 20, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Twin and Xoot

Fontenot is the equivalent of a vestigial organ like an appendix or tonsils, you may be a little nervous letting them go but once it’s gone your realize it was pretty painless and you feel a lot better.

Belt is the equivalent of a huge cock that has just started banging hot chicks, the moves may be a little inconsistent but once it gets rolling it will be going through chicks like Paul Bunyan turning trees into kindling.

You fools can hold on to your tonsils of you want to but I’d rather be banging hot chicks!

• xootsuit said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:17 am

Send Fontenot to AAA? Wait a minute — are one of those guys who wanted to send Lincecum down last August to learn to pitch again?

17. Flavor said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:30 am

Ted– I’m not sure what that means– I took a look and at first I thought OF was for the total # of games he played that year in the OF with the rest of it broken down into LF/CF/RF but the numbers don’t add up….
    the poll’s look changed recently, I like it….

• twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:39 am

The numbers add up for games started, they don’t for games played because he often played mpore than position. Happy to help.

• TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:52 am

Actually, I think you’re right. There’s just something we’re missing on “games” but “games started” seem to add up. Thanks.

• twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:55 am

Of course I ‘m fucking right. There’s nothing missing.If he plays LF and CF in the same goddamn game… you should to be able to figger this out.l Ted.

• TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:53 am

I need to remember to refresh before I post. I didn’t see your answer, twin, thanks

• TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:55 am

While twin was kindly answering my question, I was busy staring at Ross’ numbers trying to do addition in my head. I need an aspirin

18. willied said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:30 am

I’ll ask again: best 3 OF on the team (including torres and ross)? If 3-5 are burrell rowand nate….I think Belt can crack into that, and I think the best way is occasional start vs. mlb pitching and hanging out with the vets. Why settle for mediocrity of Nate? burrell has a limited shelf life and obvious defensive shortcomings, and rowand is rowand. ford didn’t show much vs. AA pitching and doesn’t appear able to handle mlb level at all. derosa hasn’t done much yet this year either.
    game on the line, I want my best players out there.

19. Unca Chuck said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:33 am

Willied, I think it comes down to the fact that Ford is 26, and he hasn’t really torn up the minors. They know what they have, and that’s a base stealer/late inning defensive replacement. A better Geno Velez . . .

Belt scopes out to be the long-term 1st baseman of the future. Belt is much better served getting ABs in AAA to hone his batting eye.

BTW, happy birthday Brandon. 4/20!! He’s 23 today.

• Nipper said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:36 am

Belt you!

20. Flavor said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:34 am

Ok, let’s talk about Brandon Wood, recently cut by the Angels. This dude has been a can’t-miss prospect forever who has consistently missed at every big league chance he’s gotten. But the talent is there. He’s hit a shitload of homeruns in the minor leagues and he’s decent defensively. He’s been playing 3rd mostly but he came up as a shortstop.
    Anyone want to take a flier on this guy? If the price was right, i’d do it. If this was June I bet Sabes would consider it but being so early in the season and wanting to give MIggy every chance, I’m sure this would never happen. But I’d love to see it happen…

• twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:50 am

So you’d cut Tejada for a flyer on Wood? The only reasonable option with Wood is a minor league deal. Next..

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:06 am

Still too, too early on Miggy. He’s been inconsistent. Which tells me he’s still got it every once in a while, so it’s not like he’s kaput. If he’s still botching routine grounders and hitting near the Mendoza line around mid-May, then it’s time to start looking for alternatives like platooning with Font, etc. Lil Font made a really nice play going to his left last night, he looks like a small upgrade over Miggy on the defensive side, better range and quicker, but arm not as strong. Miggy still has a pretty strong arm…

21. snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:43 am

Small elephant in the room is whereinhell is DeRosa? Given the offseason hooha that getting healthy, he was going to really provide a solid defender and bat, he’s been conspicuously near AWOL since the season started. He’s got a roster spot as a super sub, yet just 14 ABs in 8 games. Yet, his offensive stats are good in that limited time. Font has played a little more than he has. One day his wrist is cool, the next he takes BP and get’s scratched with tendinitis again. Not a good sign for a $6M player…

22. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:44 am

Ross comes back and gets to bat cleanup? And don’t even get me started with Pablo batting 8th. I could just donkey punch that dumb mumbler for doing that — again.

Rowand CF, F Sanchez 2B, Posey C, Ross RF, Burrell LF, Tejada SS, DeRosa 1B, Sandoval 3B, Cain P

23. twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:48 am

He’d kick your dumb ass, Dennis.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:51 am

Why don’t you just admit it’s fucking asinine to bat Pablo 8th? It’s moronic beyond belief.
      Would *you* bat Pablo 8th if you were the manager? I didn’t think so.

24. Rough Trade said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:56 am

Ah, must be a LH starter again.

25. twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:57 am

I’m ouuta here. The fucking ignorance is giving me a headache.

26. TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:59 am

twin, just so the order of posts don’t keep getting mixed up, I was saying “Flav” was right as I didn’t see your post because I didn’t refresh. Eventually I figured it out. But I need a nap now. And then a bowl of Wheaties

27. twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:01 am

Well, I ‘m having Cheerios and a nap. Adios.

• TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:11 am

Adios. See you when the game starts

• twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:18 am

I’ll probably watch it later.

28. snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:01 am

OK, DeRosa’s in today. I’d like to see him play a coupla games in a row to see if he can handle the super sub role. As for Pablo yeah, I don’t get that. He’s proving so far to be one of your top power guys, and he’s hitting in the 8 hole? I’ll guess too that the explanation is he’s hitting RH today, but still, he’s been hitting well RHd, too…

• twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:12 am

Well, 4 for 16.

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:22 am

With a dinger…

29. Rough Trade said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:07 am

Pablo vs RH starters .366– LH starters, (just 17ab’s) .236

30. dirtnrocksnreno said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:08 am

No Huff, Sandoval should be in the 3 hole. Isn’t R his natural side as it is?

31. TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:14 am

I see Bruce Jenkins thinks it’s best Belt stay in the show and do the Ishikawa role playing for, at least, late inning defense

• Unca Chuck said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:22 am

Everyone’s wrong some of the time . . .

• Unca Chuck said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:23 am

Belt needs a steady diet of ABs. He’ll go down. Huff is good enough defensively at 1st. If they want to rest him, then DeRosa gets the nod.

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:24 am

He’s said that before, now just repeating the same mistake. On this one, Jenkins should stick to reviewing the Mavericks competition…

32. Rough Trade said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:14 am

Tejada only hitting .208 against LH’s, but this is what Bochy does. It’s his way of saying to Tejada, I haven’t lost faith in you.

• twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:17 am

Well, Huff would have been DFAed by this date in 2010 if Bochy did it the Flapper way..

33. twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:15 am

As I’ve said- at least I learned. Bochy has proven he’s the fucking master. The problem most of you have is the stoopid notion that the 8 is only for the weakest hitter.

• TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:19 am

That’s because LaRussa keeps putting the pitcher there

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:24 am

It’s wrong. Plain and simple. Bochy is wrong on this one. And you fucking know it.

• Unca Chuck said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:27 am

Who better to expand the strike zone than Pablito?

• TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:29 am

I don’t know. I’ve always felt that after the 1st inning, it doesn’t matter where anyone bats

34. snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:21 am

Pretty decent Denver article on the Giants and game last night.
    At least somebody outside the Bay Area is giving the Gyros some respect…

• Unca Chuck said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:26 am

Tofu Panda??

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:42 am

I thought that wasn’t a bad little play on words. Comment on the weight loss regimen, obviously. Otherwise, the article gives the Giants props, generally, and skewered the Rocks a little, which gives a little credibility to the hometown paper…

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:44 am

Chuck – In answer to your earlier question – A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 57. East southeast wind between 9 and 11 mph. The game will definitely be played . . . Less likely around here when precipitation approaches 40-50 percent.

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:50 am

Snarkk, thanks for sharing . . . Troy Renck, Denver Post beat writer and sometimes columnist, is very balanced. Conversely, the resident idiot over at the Post sports section is Woody Paige, whom you’ve probably seen on ESPN’s Around The Horn . . . He has no insight and annually he makes a fool of himself by typically predicting that the Broncos will go 16-0 or some other nonsense. Think “Homer” and that’s Paige.

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:59 am

Thanks, Blade. Seems my view of the article was in line with this guy’s typical style. I like to read the local paper’s view on the Giants when they play on the road. You can tell pretty much right away whether the writer knows much about the Giants and/or whether he’s just a homer. It’s good getting another perspective on a team you know well…

35. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:45 am

Standard weather joke in Colorado goes like this Chuck . . . Weatherman (or women) don’t predict the weather here, they REPORT IT.

• TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:55 am

They *do* predict it here. Just wrongly

36. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2011 at 10:56 am

Shit, Baggs is reporting Pablo hurt himself during BP. Left w/ Bochy and trainer.
    More to follow…

See, this is the kind of shit that happens when you bat 8th.

37. Big Flavor said, on April 20, 2011 at 11:04 am

He didn’t hurt himself in batting practice I don’t think. He was pulling at his back after that rundown play yesterday, I am not surprised that he can’t go today. that sucks…….

• Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2011 at 11:07 am

Well if he did hurt himself on that play yesterday he had it coming. All the dummy had to do was throw to first. Why in the hell he started chasing the runner is beyond me.

38. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2011 at 11:04 am

Got a couple of guys w/ real good numbers vs De La Rosa. Tejada: 6/12 3 2B, HR; Sanchez: 9/20 2 HR 6 RBI

39. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2011 at 11:09 am

Right triceps strain for Pablo. Bochy thinks it’s minor but he’s out today. Huff in, DeRosa to 3B

40. snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 11:14 am

With Pablo up in the air, now looks more like Belt might stay and Ford goes…

• twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 11:30 am

Or not.

• twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 11:49 am

Belt is already gone, Snarkkles.

41. Big Flavor said, on April 20, 2011 at 11:28 am

Snarkk, let’s just wait till I close the voting on the poll before we decide who goes….:)

• TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 11:52 am

Flav must have closed the voting

42. snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 11:37 am

I figured the Giants wouldn’t escape the injury bug again this year, but it’s getting a little ridiculous. Hopefully the Panda’s just got a little strain and nothing else. Weather says it’s 41 right now in Denver — great weather for getting a pull of some sort…

43. twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 11:51 am

Why don’t you ID the Tejada voters so I can have some cots made up in Room B?

44. TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 11:59 am

I’m sure one of you already knows this so I won’t bother looking it up. Considering he’s a flyball pitcher, how well has Cain done against the Rockies in their house?

• twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 12:03 pm

9 starts, 4-2 3.38 56 IP 39 H 5 HR

• TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 12:09 pm

45. snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Yeah, just heard Belt is gone. Hasta mean Pablo’s arm injury is day to day, so that is good news. Belt is better off with a stint in Fresno. I said in ST he should have started there anyway. Now they have one year earlier FA for him, but they rolled the dice and it didn’t work. That’s OK, he got a taste, knows what he has to do to get back up to stay…

46. TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Sort of a double shit right now

47. Del Mar Dennis said, on April 20, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I don’t care if you guys are religious or not, but you best start praying NOW.

48. snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Don’t look now, but that inning was brutal. Cain better find some stuff, or he’s not around much longer…

49. Kevin said, on April 20, 2011 at 1:03 pm

it’s early, relax

50. Kevin said, on April 20, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Gameday on MLB.com is not working for me. Anyone else having problems

51. eddacker said, on April 20, 2011 at 1:20 pm

watching comcast on mlb just fine, but jitter in full screen

52. snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Buster = EZ top 5 MVP candidate…

53. Unca Chuck said, on April 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Well, it’s good to see Matt settling down after the bad 2nd . . .

54. Unca Chuck said, on April 20, 2011 at 1:35 pm

That’s the trouble with pitching in the rox box. . . One bad pitch and you’re down by 3 . . .

55. snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Hard to figure, maybe cool temps had impact. Cain had squat early — hit me fastballs. Now he’s got some stuff and location…

56. snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I guess I can stop relaxing now…

57. Unca Chuck said, on April 20, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Just get on base, Franchez. Stop swinging out of your shoes . . .

58. Unca Chuck said, on April 20, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Uh, nevermind . . .

I’M NOT POSTING TOO FAST!

59. Big Flavor said, on April 20, 2011 at 2:16 pm

mlb taking over the Dodgers. Hilarious. How does that work if they want make a mid-season acquisition?

• TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Good question. I’ve heard of heavy oversight like they did in Texas but a complete takeover? I think it’s unprecedented.. Maybe it will be like when the FDIC closes a bank. They’ll have to sell it off quickly for a probable loss.

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Not unprecedented . . . NBA Hornets were in the same boat. Owner George Shinn “empty pockets” necessitated the same situation as what is happening with the Bums.

• snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 2:40 pm

LA Times says McCourt had to take out a personal, not team, loan from Fox on the TV contract to make payroll. Being a personal loan circumvented any MLB oversight. May have prompted the Budster to step in. I’m not shedding any tears about even more Dodger chaos. Good luck with finding consistent money to upgrade fan safety in the parking lots….

• TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Okay. I should rephrase it, blade:
      “Daaaay, I never hoid of it, George”

• Bozo said, on April 20, 2011 at 7:44 pm

See Montreal Expos.

60. xootsuit said, on April 20, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Once again Selig is too late with too little. Bet the Stow family really appreciates mlb taking charge of the general mess in L.A. now, including the suddenly beefy security. Didn’t mlb do the same thing to Montreal, before packing them off to D.C.?

61. Kevin said, on April 20, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Now I think the Dodgers are bums just like everyone else does, but having shitty ownership (see the Niners) just plain sucks. I mean the Giants almost moved!! I was depressed the whole time waiting to see what was going to happen with the giants!!

62. macdog said, on April 20, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Seems to me the Mets need a helluva lot more help right now than the Dodgers.

63. mrmrbill said, on April 20, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Now Selig has to deal w/ Mrs. McCourt … watch out for that snakepit, Bud.

64. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I’ll bet dollars to donuts that the Wilpons are next . . . Smoke and mirror ownership of the Mets is about to go kaput.

65. eddacker said, on April 20, 2011 at 2:55 pm

rowand has a beautiful swing, his bat just isn’t where the ball is :-/

66. snarkk said, on April 20, 2011 at 3:00 pm

File this game under the category “stuff happens”. I’ll take 4Ws on a 6 game roadie anytime…

67. eddacker said, on April 20, 2011 at 3:05 pm

eight of the last twelve is nice

68. TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 3:08 pm

It was a regular Splash Apocalypse

69. stixwiz said, on April 20, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Oh well. Like they say: Shit happens. Box of Rox is a good venue for that. Cain not himself today. But WTF, two of three ain’t a bad habit to be into, particularly on the road, even more specifically in Denver.

Was out to the woods again today and brought home a fine load. Pieces of ash i’d cut yesterday. January in the Minnesota Northwoods type stuff. High grade shit. Intuition working again. Had a bad feeling about the game today. Had already pretty much written it off. Wasn’t expecting such a schtonk, but in the Box of Rox anything can happen. Batters were pretty cold. It’s a funny thing what having to play ketchup ball can do. Rox learned that lesson in the first two in the series.

So let’s go home and beat the Braves. Three games out at this stage of the season ain’t half bad ~ particularly as the guys in first place have only faced one first-class team and didn’t do very well against that bunch.

• Unca Chuck said, on April 20, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Who doesn’t appreciate a good piece of ash?

70. Kevin said, on April 20, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I think it was TF who said it last year, sweeping good teams is very hard to do. As long at the Giants win the majority of their series against any team, they will do great. And just as surely as we all knew the Giants were not going to go 162-0, none of the pitching staff is going to go 20-0 in starts. Cain will be good to go next time around

• Bozo said, on April 20, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I not a math guy Kevin, but if the Giants win all their series they win the whole salami II.

71. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2011 at 4:10 pm

2:33 pm post of Xoot . . . You’re correct – the Montreal Expos were taken control of by MLB in 2002. Besides the 2010 New Orleans Hornets takeover by the NBA (that I mentioned earlier), the Phoenix Coyotes also were taken over by the NHL in 2009.

• TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Phoenix has a hockey team?

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Yep . . . Use to be called the Winnipeg Jets (umm, not to be confused with that other “Jets” team).

LQTM . . . High School that I attended in Sunnyvale was called the Jets (no longer there either . . . Probably taken over by a college. Ha.).

• TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Well, we have the San Jose Sharks, too. I just think it’s weird having a hockey team in a geographical area that doesn’t have snow. I guess it doesn’t matter. Just seems right.

• Bozo said, on April 20, 2011 at 7:50 pm

And that was so Selig’s buddy could dump the Expos and pick up the Marlins.
      xoot- you still think baseball won’t allow a (wink, wink nudge, nudge) trade of Zits for the rights of San Jose?

• xootsuit said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Cot’s BBall Contracts home page has a litany of good comments from people who know about mlb and the almighty dollar. The one I think of here is:

“Gentlemen, we have the only legal monopoly in the country,
        and we’re fucking it up.”
        – Braves owner Ted Turner

mlb will do nothing to jeopardize what’s left of the sacred antitrust exemption. They’re perfectly willing to take whatever follow-on litigation McCourt tries to throw at them.

72. Unca Chuck said, on April 20, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Anyone going on Sunday?

Got some seats down the LF line . . .

73. twinfan said, on April 20, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Thanks for the warning, Chuckles…

74. willied said, on April 20, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Blade, old SV High is now a religious school, The King’s Academy. I’ll be there this weekend, where some kids i’ve coached are playing in a big Asian club team tournament.
    when i was at fremont late 60s it was still a big rivalry. Now fremont is known as the school from the hood, because the kids that live over on that side of town now go there, and those on other side of el camino go to Homestead.

• blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I didn’t know that . . . Immediately after it closed, I think Signetics (not certain it was them) took it over and it was another electronics “campus.” Yeah, I remember the rivalry well Willied . . . Except that by the time I got there in the early 70’s, Fremont ate our lunch on a regular basis in football and basketball (quite frankly, we sucked. Ha.).

What you said about the demographics is interesting too . . . I grew up in a middle class, mostly blue collar neighborhood and it went to seed around the mid to late 70s. This continued until the mid-80s, when housing prices exploded . . . Hysterical how homes that were rented and going to pot, all of a sudden, were quite valuable – evicted the renters and started taking care of their homes. Almost like a housing “gold rush.”

75. blade3colorado said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Not certain it was reported here . . . Belt sent to Fresno.

• TedSpe said, on April 20, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Thanks for the fucking update blade. Now can anyone tell me where I hid my pants?

• blade3colorado said, on April 21, 2011 at 5:23 am

Girl Friend’s house?

. . . or wife is washing them?