A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

How did we Win Saturday’s Game?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 1, 2011

I think Jon Miller used the word *pouting* to describe Jonathan Sanchez 6 times in the 2nd inning. I only had radio yesterday so I couldn’t tell if that’s what it looked like. He definitely had some major brain farts. Marty Lurie and his crew seemed to want to focus on how Sanchez pulled it together and was able to stagger through 5 innings on no-earned run ball. To be honest, I’m disappointed in Dirrrrty this year. I believed him when he said he was going to cut his walks in half. Well, maybe I didn’t think he’d cut them in half but 20 walks in 33 innings is a joke. Something is going on in this guy’s head that Raggs et al just can’t touch…….

Eli Whiteside?

It’s a miracle that the Nats didn’t score 7 runs yesterday and that we somehow won yesterday’s game….

Time for a *Post of the Week* vote. It’s not really weekly but that’s the name so I’m sticking to it. On the right side of the blog you’ll see a tab that says “This Week’s Posts of the Day!!!”. Click on that and you’ll find 6 esteemed nominees. Please vote for your favorite. My apologies for screwing up the numbering. Snarkk is 2 and Ed is 4 but I excluded numbering them. Probably one too many Pliny’s…

The Flap Fantasy Baseball Standings!!!!!

This version of the standings show each players ranking in each of the 10 categories. It gives a broader perspective to the numbers Ed is producing overall. If it weren’t for the 3 and the 4 I’d say he’d be working on a one-sided binary system. Quick side note: I love Ed. This is a guy who traded Texieria for Hughes (bad move), recently banishing Hughes to the waiver (necessary move). But if you read his mesage board posts he’s probably having the most fun playing in the league and that’s what it’s all about. Ed’s rad.

1. Bozo said, on May 1, 2011 at 7:21 am

I’m here in New Orleans for Jazz Fest. I’m sporting a Flying Squirrels hat this year and I’ve already run into three guys with Giants hats on (one was a NY Giant hat, Pawlie are you in NOLA?), each time I get to go up and scream at these guys “your World Champion San Francisco GIANTS”. Basking with strangers, It doesn’t get any better than that.

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 1, 2011 at 8:00 am

Bozo: not in NOLA, but hoping for same kind of fun in Cooperstown next weekend. Bask! [in the past, ’cause very little to bask about in the present; but the past makes the present; as I was chatting with Soren Kierkegaard yesterday, he said: either/or……] We are Bask Separatists! [I’ve used that before; whaddaya want from me; tired; healthy Jasper born at 1101 last night’; all good for him and mom and my son and all of us.]

• Bozo said, on May 1, 2011 at 8:06 am

Congrats Pawlie, glad everyone is healthy.

• TedSpe said, on May 1, 2011 at 8:15 am

Get some rest, Mr. Basque

• Macdog said, on May 1, 2011 at 8:31 am

Congrats on becoming a Pop-Pop, Pawlie! Does this mean you’ll be taking a (grand)paternity leave from the Flap League?

2. willied said, on May 1, 2011 at 8:05 am

Some blogger on the CBSsports site couldn’t believe the Nats lost either after all the Giants did to hand them the game. Sanchez gave up one run, and the Nats were actually lucky to get that. Honest, if he walks 12 guys and gets out of it and SF wins, who gives a fuck?
    He isn’t Roy Halladay, but no one else is either. He is regularly unhittable and every batter knows it, so they wait for wildness or a mistake. If he is a little off or getting squeezed, the pitch count is going to be high. For all the batters he faced yesterday he gave up a total of two hits in 5 innings.
    Valenzuela was one of the best I ever saw at getting out of shit…it seems SF often had the sacks loaded against him but couldn’t score. Just like Sanchez, when he bore down and really needed to get guys out, you couldn’t touch him.

3. TedSpe said, on May 1, 2011 at 8:09 am

Great picture for POTG. Vera took that herself

4. Nipper said, on May 1, 2011 at 8:33 am

Berra is so bad he should get a prize for stinking.

5. willied said, on May 1, 2011 at 8:33 am

Great day for pitchers over all in the NL yesterday…total of 41 runs scored in 8 games (two other 2-1 games besides Giants), and the Prez hit one of only 6 home runs in the entire league.
    Henry’s column on the game he said, “…the Giants will recall third baseman RR …. for backup.” So what’s going on? Is Burriss a SS or 2B? Rohlinger in for relief of Tejada at 3B, or Fontenot, now apparently every day SS? Where did they play primarily at Fresno?

• twinfan said, on May 1, 2011 at 9:54 am

Rohlinger played 16 games at SS, Burriss 5. They don’t know what Burriss is, he’s played in the OF and second also. Rohlinger is a good defender at third or SS , that’s presumably why he’s up. Flavoro bitches that RR won’t play much- you really don’t want the 25th guy to play much- DUH!

• willied said, on May 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm

thx.

6. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 8:47 am

calling Rohlinger up makes no sense at all. He’s rarely going to play and was hitting under .200. Font can play SS or 3rd, Burriss could slide to SS if Font went to third and that’s only going to happen if Tejada comes out of the game for some reason. Dumb call up. Belt’s crushing the ball down there, bring him back up.

7. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 8:48 am

and I think it’s time to toss in the towel on Gillespe. If a dude hitting .194 who has no future in the org gets called up before you, well, you have less of a future than he does……

8. twinfan said, on May 1, 2011 at 9:42 am

You don’t have to nominate Loo-Igi and Snarkklefuck every week. The two this time are particalarly weak. Willie, Ted, Stix, Bozo, and more have far better posts that are left out. Really poor, Flavoro..
    It’s not uncommon at alll for a “non-prospect” to get the call over a prospect. They want Gillespie to get ABs, he wouldn’t here. And Belt will be back soon- they need to off Nate, the Bat, or Rowand first..

9. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 9:46 am

well I only put the posts up for vote that I liked. I passed on a lot of the others. That’s why it took so long to get 6 to vote on…….

10. twinfan said, on May 1, 2011 at 9:56 am

Just fucking give it to one of those two , that’s really what you want to do anyway..

11. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:11 am

I’m a man of the people, Twin. I let the people decide…..

• twinfan said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:22 am

No, because you don’t let them vote on some of the best posts so you can nominate fluff crap like the two this week.

• snarkk said, on May 1, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Run your own damn blog, if you’ve got a problem with this POTW shit. Otherwise, kan the incessant whining about it…

12. stixwiz said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:13 am

12-12 for April. So April showers end in a wash and Giants play this evening in Washington. Most likely the series will end in a mutually futile 2-2 split. Then on to face the Mutts in New York. On returning to SF Torres should be back. He’s still the natural leadoff man and for a team so desperately in flux, any element of offensive stability has to be viewed as a plus.

Superior pitching has kept the squad from devolving into a total tailspin. Though staff ERA is in the upper mediocre zone, a bit above average, Giants rate higher in hits allowed (second); WHIP and strikeouts (where they lead the majors once again).

With Burriss, Ford and Rohlinger all called up now as replacements, the team will get good looks at them ~perhaps for Rohlinger his last look. Interesting part of his Fresno production is that while stuck at a very low BA, his run production has been pretty good by comparison. If a guy only goes one for five, but scores on that hit and also has driven a pair, one cannot say he is a failure at the plate. We’ll see what he does in The Show. Burriss may hang around a bit longer and this may not be his final callup. But he needs some success soon as he is dropping in the depth chart. Ford failed yesterday in a SB attempt (obviously they saw it coming) but then in his ensuing A.B. he garnered his first M.L. hit. Provided he can hit at least .250 and amass an OBP of no less than .300. he’s a keeper. Otherwise, purely kept around as a late-inning pinch runner is probably an unaffordable luxury.

Was good to see Posey garner a couple of hits yesterday. Maybe he’s getting back in the swing of things. Hoping we can soonest say the same about Huff. Well, at least he did draw that game-winning walk yesterday. Maybe that’s his first baby-step. Any betting types out there making wagers on how many different lineups Bochy will present in the month of May?

• DJLoo said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:30 am

Stix: 13-12 in April / 0-1 in March
      Please don’t carve me up for poiinting that out.

• xootsuit said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:40 am

17 of the 26 on the road and they finish the month at .500. Not bad at all.

13. xootsuit said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:25 am

Nate in RF today. I would much rather see Belt out there, I think.
    I was following on the web yesterday when Bumgarner PH. I was wondering who they’d send up to bat. I went through the roster, imagined Rohlinger on a plane headed to DC, and ended up with Burriss. Then mlb gameday told me otherwise. How do you feel if you’re Burriss and they send a pitcher to the plate instead of you? (I know, if the game had gotten tied and they’d gone extra . . . . but still.)

• twinfan said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:29 am

Well, that is why.He hardly wanted to use a position player with the lead. Good decision.

• xootsuit said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:44 am

I know. And, of course, Burriss is just happy to be on the 25. Bet he would love to play in D.C., however.

14. twinfan said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:26 am

Some Splashmorons posted as if Ford srcewed up because he was thrown out. No, it took a quick release from the pitcher and good throw. It happens.

15. DJLoo said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:27 am

Announcers always say it’s a good sign when Buster is hitting the ball the other way.

Baseball reference has an all-time “All Dominican” team.
    Guess who the starting SS is?
    How about the #2 man out of the pen?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:39 am

“Dominican” (2004) was sired by El Corredor out of the Dixlieland Band mare, First Violin.

16. twinfan said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:40 am

What’s the other way? With his feet?

17. TedSpe said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:40 am

Posey caught a break. Phew.
    And thanks, twin

18. TedSpe said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:48 am

Had the sound but that’s how Cain pitches. Fly ball…caught.
    Risky. But overall…seems to work forhim

19. TedSpe said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:49 am

Fly ball caught or dealt with I mean

20. DJLoo said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:50 am

Sounds like Werth’s walk up song is “November Rain”, a depressing GnR classic. What is a batter’s walk up song supposed to do for him?

• Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:52 am

same thing a tattoo does. Both are dumb.

21. Macdog said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:50 am

Too bad Matty won’t get to pitch at CitiField this week, that place was made for him.

22. DJLoo said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:55 am

Tejada just winced after beating that out. Tomorrow they’ll announce that he has 2 broken legs.

• TedSpe said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:56 am

23. DJLoo said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:58 am

FP: “A well-placed hit by Nate Schierholtz”

• TedSpe said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:59 am

The man’s a…genius

• xootsuit said, on May 1, 2011 at 11:00 am

I can imagine FP spending a lot of time selecting his own walk up song, back when he was placing his own hits.

24. TedSpe said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:58 am

Shit. If we lose this game I will personally ask dennis to push me off the ledge.
    Or Del Mar….just no denny

25. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:58 am

Fonte-yes
    Really like his level swing. For a little guy the ball comes off his bat loudly…..

• James said, on May 1, 2011 at 11:05 am

He’s probably contribute as much to the offense as Franchez, if he played regularly.

• twinfan said, on May 1, 2011 at 11:14 am

I’ve pointed out a few times that his numbers against RHers are better than Fruckie’s- but Fruckie is, of course, better defensively. And he did curb his hacking ways last year, had one of his best OBP years.

• James said, on May 1, 2011 at 11:40 am

Right, not suggesting he replace Freddy. The question is whether or not he’s any worse than Tejada defensively at SS. It’s still a long season, but right now Tejada looks closer to washed up than Burrell.

26. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 1, 2011 at 10:58 am

What a difference a month makes. If it’s still April that ball lands 2 inches foul.

27. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 11:01 am

By the way DENNIS, Loo was the one who started calling you “Denny” back when we did the horse racing blog. 1000 apologies. I shall never utter the nickname again!

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 1, 2011 at 11:22 am

I had DENNY Hamlin on my NASCAR fantasy team yesterday. Good old Denny came through with a runner-up finish at Richmond.

28. TedSpe said, on May 1, 2011 at 11:02 am

I know Rowand’s doing pretty well right now but why does he have to stand at the plate looking like a flying Wallenda balancing his sister on his head?

29. xootsuit said, on May 1, 2011 at 11:04 am

You’re pretty energetic today, Ted.

30. DJLoo said, on May 1, 2011 at 11:26 am

Is Tejada fuckin’ serious????

31. James said, on May 1, 2011 at 11:42 am

I wonder where missing your catcher’s sign registers on the brain fart scale.

32. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 1, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Damn, I thought Huff had a hit there for sure. He can’t catch a break.

WTF Shitholtz? And to make matters worse I purposely kept Werth on my fantasy bench to root against him and the Nats. Bastard.

33. xootsuit said, on May 1, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Been a while since Nate committed a fielding fuck up, hasn’t it? I recall some missed cutoff throws, maybe some other mental mistakes, but not recently. Rare error. Meanwhile, as Kruk points out, Rowand’s never quit approach probably saved a run there.

34. xootsuit said, on May 1, 2011 at 12:24 pm

I believe the tv camera just showed GiantHead in the stands.

35. twinfan said, on May 1, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Well, the kid does have to know when to go. HOF catcher, quick release pitcher… that wasn’t the time.

36. Rough Trade said, on May 1, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Who catches if Whitey goes down? Can Ross catch if needed?

• Rough Trade said, on May 1, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Irrelevant now.

37. willied said, on May 1, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Uh, flav, might be bad news on the facebook page for the next few weeks. don’t want to hex them, but sharks look pretty damn good right now.

38. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 2:27 pm

so let’s look back on this weekend at Washington:
    Friday night we are shutout by a shitty journeyman pitcher
    Saturday our runs were produced by No Whitey and a walk from Huff
    Sunday all our runs were produced by a fluky bloop hit that should have been caught
    I seriously can’t remember a more impotent road trip (at least when it comes to the offense) than this one…….

• TedSpe said, on May 1, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Impotent. Apt description

39. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm

and as much as I love the guy, the only way to upgrade the offense right now is to sit the Bat and put Belt in LF and pray to God he starts hitting up here—Torres will upgrade the O, too.
    Sadly, Tejada is going to have to play. There’s no one else to run out there day in and day out…….

40. snarkk said, on May 1, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Getaway game tomorrow is where Bochy should throw caution to the wind. Give all you guys a hard-on by starting Ford; might as well start Burriss, too. Why not, they won’t do any worse than the last half dozen games with the starters. Meanwhile, Cain must be out of sorts. A bunch of walks to a crap squad. I heard the game on radio, I don’t know why/how you let a #8 hole hitter beat you with two outs. If Bochy told him to pitch around him, Cain failed, assuming that’s what Bochy ordered…

41. DJLoo said, on May 1, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I think Cain has a tendency to lose focus.
    And we suck.

• James said, on May 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Always better to lose focus than release farts in the brain. The latter happens only to head cases.

42. twinfan said, on May 1, 2011 at 3:08 pm

What he SHOULD do is play whatever the regular LU is to be now. Those guys need to hit out of their funks by playing. Don’t distort what’s been said about Ford- he’s valuable off the bench, not starting.

• snarkk said, on May 1, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Give Ford a spot start while the team is in a funk distorts nothing but your vortex. Managers have been mixing stuff up for a 100 years to try to stop a skid. He’s a pinch runner and late inning D guy with a AAAA future, at best. No more, no less. Get a grip…

43. Big Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Yeah, not interested in seeing ford bat 4 times in a gm. As u said, his value off bench is huge. Belt in LF or keep it as is—no other scenario makes sense

44. James said, on May 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Ford has 1 SB and been caught 3 times. His value thus far is highly debatable.

• snarkk said, on May 1, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Great point on the steals, which is the main thing he supposedly brings. Except MLB isn’t the PCL when it comes to stealing. IMO his value so far isn’t debatable. He’s here due to injuries. Period. So far, they’ve barricaded him in the dugout when it comes to getting ABs. When the injured come back, he’s back to AAA where he should be…

45. stixwiz said, on May 1, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Runzler keeps slipping. May soon be time for Edlefsen or Kroon.

46. James said, on May 1, 2011 at 3:29 pm

“What he SHOULD do is play whatever the regular LU is to be now.” I agree. The hot hand stuff is at best a zero sum game, just like stealing bases. If Belt is part of the equation, then the choice should be between Burrell and Huff in LF. Or maybe they platoon.

47. eddacker said, on May 1, 2011 at 3:35 pm

The Giants offence is amazingly dead and we squeezer out a .500 start to the season.
    all these years and I only saw other teams when they played the giants, but now I am watching the Cubs game. Lots of ChiTown fans in AZ. Lots of white skin in the crowd for AZ, too. I like the Cubbies announcers. And seeing the crowds at other ballparks; bowTie must be creaming in his jeans with the ticket sales this year.
    I like the fast start for Cabrera, he makes Tejada look old. Rumors the Mets are shopping Reyes? OK, old news, a former all-star with declining speed and free agency. I’m just saying.

48. DJLoo said, on May 1, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I’d drop Rowand to 3rd in the order at Citifield. He hits well there. Clutch homer into a stiff wind last Mother’s Day. Burrell’s an all-time Met killer.
    Give someone else a chance to be a spark at lead off. I don’t care if it’s Ford, Burriss, Fontenot, Mike Felder, Rikkert Faneyte or Harvey Kuenn.

How about this stat I found on Cody Ross:

49. twinfan said, on May 1, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Fontenot has hit even better in the 8…as far as the #1, we flat do not have one with Torres out. Actually, with his somewhat improved OBP, Fruckie may be as good as it gets.

50. willied said, on May 1, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Hah. Watching the pregame on ESPN, Ravech mentioned the 1930 Phils team that hit .315 for the season and finished last. I read that title in an article in Sport mag as a kid. That was the juiced ball year, I think the year Hack Wilson had the mlb record 190 rbis. The two regulars with the lowest BA on the team were in the .270s. And yes, obviously the pitching sucked…I think Ravech said the team ERA was over 6.00.

51. Zumarust said, on May 1, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Someone called “November Rain” a classic song. That’s egregious.

• DJLoo said, on May 1, 2011 at 5:20 pm

You should check out the Earl Scruggs version…

52. blade3colorado said, on May 1, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Not certain you horse racing fans are aware that there is a 60 Minutes segment on some horse called Zenyatta that recently “retired” (I could give a rat’s ass personally . . . I just like watching 60 Minutes).

Horses retire????

• DJLoo said, on May 1, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Thanks anyway, Blade. Unfortunately, back here 60 Minutes started 64 minutes before your post.

53. James said, on May 1, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Hard to complain about the pitching in the midst of so much futility on offense, but the staff is closer to the middle of the NL pack than it is to the top.

54. Big Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Absolutely. That’s when the good ones make all their $. Stud fees, mare’s bending over, it’s a real second career…

55. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 5:31 pm

just got a text from Pawlie– he’s up high at the Philly game. I told him Loo loves it up there—all the better to look down chick’s shirts and up their skirts as they pass by. Loo, I’m nailing this, right?

• DJLoo said, on May 1, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Down low in the upper deck, Flav. I think Pawlie saw the same thing I did at that Met-Giant game in 2009. It caused me to miss Cain beaning Wright.
      Believe me I wasn’t the only one.

Nice of you Blade..thanks

• Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 6:34 pm

i remember your account. Should have been POTYear

56. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 6:20 pm

thanks for the link, BLADE> I don’t really catch 60 Min much anymore. That was a great story. I was devastated when she lost the classic, everyone watching was. And that story wasn’t hype, she’s as special as they come. I remember getting in a mini-argument with Loo and DENNIS about who was better, Zenyatta or Rachel Alexander. I took the former’s side, they took the later. I think we know who won that one……

57. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 6:22 pm

The best part about the Classic last year were all the little girls who were carrying around the pink Zenyatta cards. She was an awesome role model for young girls. Go ahead and kick the boy’s asses if you can. Don’t feel bad about it. They’ll get over it……

58. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Inspired by the 60 min segment I just decided to pull up the 2009 classic. There are a million comments under the video, this is the first one–captures the essence of this horse perfectly:

“Zenyatta made me fall in love with racing at a time at a time when I stopped caring about it with all the cheating, drugs, breakdowns, & premature retirements. Racing can give me ten Quality Roads and Blames for the next few years, and it still will never replace and match the anticipation and excitement I felt watching Zenyatta race everytime. Track records can feel hollow to me sometimes, but Zenyatta touched a true horse fan’s purest soul.”

sweetepnoy 5 months ago 47

59. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I could watch this race 1000 times. For those of you uninterested in the sport, this was the Super Bowl of horse racing, she was facing the best male horses in the world. I still can’t believe she won this race. She’s the #4 horse in the yellow…

• Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 6:44 pm

i was at this race, for anyone interested……

60. blade3colorado said, on May 1, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I enjoyed watching this segment and actually learned something about the sport I didn’t know, e.g., significance of the Breeders’ Cup Race (always thought the Kentucky Derby was the biggest race); and, how unique or unusual it was to have a female (mare) as champion.

Zenyatta is very self-aware . . . Quite the ham and knows when it is “showtime.”

61. blade3colorado said, on May 1, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I may not know horse racing, but in regard to your discussion or argument with Loo and Dennis regarding the better horse, Rachel Alexander or Zenyatta . . . I would guess that you’re right Flav (Zenyatta), since 60 Minutes probably hasn’t done a horse profile since Mr. Ed ruled the airwaves in the early 1960s.

62. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 6:58 pm

no, they do them on occasion. I’m certain they did one on Cigar. Probably others. Like I said, I haven’t watched 60 M’s regularly in 10 years.

63. twinfan said, on May 1, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Well,they don’t chase the scum bags around like they used to..

64. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 7:04 pm

and in honor of all the Zenyatta talk, I’ll issue my coveted Oaks winning prediction 5 days early. Kathmandu will win easily. She’s a favorite but if you structure your superfecta correctly, you will make a couple thousand, no problem. I’ll release that info on Fri. Derby is Saturday. Always, consistently, my favorite weekend of the year……..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 1, 2011 at 7:47 pm

The filly’s name is “Kathmanblu.” And they should keep her on the sod. She runs much better on the grass. I’d thought you’d be on Zazu, she’s owned by the Zenyatta connections. Joyful Victory, she’ll be the one they’ll all have to fear most. Her last two wins at Oaklawn have been nothing short of spectacular. Even Looney knows well enough that the smart money’s on Joyful Victory.

65. snarkk said, on May 1, 2011 at 7:14 pm

One of my aunt’s horses on her ranch in Idaho bit me on the stomach when I was three. For no reason. No rock throwing, no yelling, no nothin. I was handing it some hay. Horses. Good for nuttin sax of crap…

• snarkk said, on May 1, 2011 at 7:17 pm

So, of course now I have to cart the older Snarkette to the horse barn every Saturday where she volunteers in exchange for lessons…

• snarkk said, on May 1, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Last weekend, I swear one of ’em bared its teeth at me…

• blade3colorado said, on May 1, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Snarkk, I’ve had 2 mountain homes – one here in Colorado (which I recently sold) and another in Old Shasta (overlooking Redding) . . . While married to the ex, I don’t think there were too many days that went by where she didn’t talk about owning horses. Fortunately, both properties were unsuitable for keeping horses due to the topography of the land . . . If you want to “sign” your life away – get a horse. I have friends that have horses and their life is taking care of that horse 24/7. Owning a dog or cat is akin to owning gold fish compared to owning a horse. In fact, I would venture to say that raising your own child is easier than taking care of that horse.

66. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 7:31 pm

horses do cost a lot of money. We owned 3 growing up but I wasn’t paying for their keep. I found some 16 year old girl at a nearby ranch who is giving Katie riding lessons for $25 an hour. That’s almost like stealing. At first I tied doing her homework into the lessons but it’s such an amazing deal I send her regardless……..

67. DJLoo said, on May 1, 2011 at 7:42 pm

THe great grass sire Dynaformer might be the nastiest SOB ever. John Henry was also kind of a prick. Forego allegedly killed a stablehand before they gelded him. Never got a straight answer on that one.

Flav: I think our debate was not who the better horse was it was over who deserved HOTY, which RA did win. I wouldn’t argue that ultimately Zenyatta proved to be the better racehorse. Why not post the 2010 Classic?
    Maybe her best ever…

• blade3colorado said, on May 1, 2011 at 7:53 pm

If “gelded” means what I think it means . . . ahem, sorry – the stablehand probably had it coming.

68. blade3colorado said, on May 1, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Osama Bin Laden was killed.

69. paulinasia said, on May 1, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I guess this is what happens to baseball blogs when the home team is playing like horseshit, huh…

70. paulinasia said, on May 1, 2011 at 7:59 pm

But then Blade changes everything with THAT posting… wow…

71. blade3colorado said, on May 1, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I wonder who got the 25 million dollar reward . . . hmm . . . Probably a poppy grower.

72. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 1, 2011 at 8:23 pm

So Bin Laden now joins the ranks of the Giants offense as two things both officially labeled, “dead.”

73. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I know I’m going to go to bed a smidge happier tonight. I hope you guys do too. Dead is not dead enough. But I will take dead….

74. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 8:28 pm

and I understand the implications here, this could set off terrible events. But I don’t give a shit right now. I am so happy that that fucker is no longer breathing………

75. Flavor said, on May 1, 2011 at 8:32 pm

and they have the body. Delicious……