A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Roster Changes: Where are all these guy gonna go?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 8, 2011

Obviously Ford will be going down when Torres comes off the DL but who goes for DeRosa? Burriss? And does DeRosa get an immediate shot at 3rd base? Then where does Miggy go? With Fontenot playing the way he is I can’t see Bochy sitting him. Casilla is also reportedly coming back soon and Zito is going to start throwing off the mound soon. Too many players, not enough roster spots. Has Nate *Wally Pipped* Ross?

I don’t think either Nate or Font are season-long replacement ideas but it couldn’t hurt to ride them while they are hot. The roster spots tend to sort themselves out with a phantom injury or two….

Voggy going today. De La Rosa usually dominates us. Pitching at home, I bet Voggy gives us a solid performance before handing it over to our epic bullpen in the 7th…..

And while I’m not posting the Flap Standings do to some technical shortcomings, it should be noted that Berra’s Bombers reeled off a 2.5 pt EXPLOSION bringing his team total to 17. This could get REEEEEAL interesting if he keeps that up 🙂

1. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2011 at 8:15 am

Flav, yesterday was an unbelievable day at the ballpark and the “back story” is as good or better than the Giants win. I’ll start with what you all know . . .

One night after Sanchez delivered a game-winning single in the ninth, it was Fontenot’s turn to play hero. But first, Rowand and Sanchez got the rally started with back-to-back singles off Felipe Paulino.

In came Franklin Morales in relief. Up stepped Fontenot, who watched Morales’ 0-1 pitch sail over his head and to the screen, moving both runners over.

“I kind of put it out of my mind,” Fontenot said. “They got the guys over, and instead of me having to bunt and just stay on the pitch, I tried not to fish at anything he might throw up there, but he ended up hanging a curveball. Got a good swing at it.” That ended the game and ignited another ninth-inning celebration for the Giants, the kind they became so familiar with last year, especially at AT&T Park.

The bunt sign came off, and Fontenot sent Morales’ next pitch high and deep to right for a sacrifice fly, the first walk-off of any kind in his career and the Giants’ second straight walk-off win, a 3-2 victory over Colorado.

OK, that’s what happened at the game . . . What you don’t know is this:

I went to the game yesterday with 3 of my cousins, one of whom has a number of connections in downtown SF and we were able to get parking, seats and a few other perks free of charge. We also arrived at least 2.5 hours before game time and were there to watch both teams do their pre-team warm-up. Because one of my cousins “knew” Troy Tulowitski’s dad and had been introduced to his son at Troy’s baseball camp, we decided to watch both teams practice on the first base side, near the “bullpen” pitching mound they have along right field.

While there, we saw “Tiny Tim” shagging balls while the Giants were taking cuts in the batting cage – HE DEFINITELY IS AN ATHLETE AND WAS MAKING UNBELIEVABLE RUNNING CATCHES TO HIS LEFT AND RIGHT IN CENTER FIELD. Yeah, he’s a great pitcher, but he could easily be put into the outfield if Botchy was caught short in an extra innings game.

We also saw Ryan Spilborghs almost “kill” a small girl by clowning around with his pitching wind-up (he’s a utility player) and allowing the ball to “sail” into the stands where it just missed hitting the girl in the head.

Various Rockies said hi to us, including Ubaldo, Cargo, and Troy’s best friend from his childhood, “Pat,” who got a gig with the Rockies as a bullpen catcher. Sorry, I didn’t get his last name. Regarding Troy? He was busy taking infield and taking his cuts in the cage, so didn’t come by where we were at. Sorry Flav, I promised a pic of Troy and I, but couldn’t deliver.

So, this is the kicker so to speak . . . While watching the Rockies warm-up, my cousin Greg’s best friend shows up with his 3 young children and we find out that his sister has been dating Franklin Morales for the last few years. He calls Franklin over and introduces us to Morales. He is a very nice person and quite humble. He signs autographs for everyone who asks and while doing so, I indicate to him that I live in the Denver area and he says, “But you are still a Giants fan, right?” I told him, “Of course – what type of fan would I be if I abandoned my team?” He chuckled, and said, “Yeah, I understand.”

Anywho, I asked him if I could take have a picture of him and I and he said, yes. In the pic, he is wearing his practice jersey and I have my G-Men regalia on (sweatshirt and beanie). Afterwards, we all wished him “luck,” but had no idea he would have “bad luck” that day and be a key figure in their loss.

We cheered wildly when Fontenot got the walk-off hit and only afterwards on the ride home, did we feel bad for Franklin Morales and reflect on how a baseball player can have such highs and lows.

So Flav, I will be sending you a few pictures, including the one of Franklin and I, albeit, it wont be today, since I am heading to the city again for Mothers day festivities. I understand if you don’t post any picture of a Rockies player on your site. It may be sacreligious (grin). My next game at the ballpark is this Thursday when our Giants take on the Dbacks. I can’t wait!

Go Giants!

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2011 at 8:40 am

that’s a great story! Send me those pics

• TedSpe said, on May 8, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Great fucking story

2. willied said, on May 8, 2011 at 8:20 am

For all the complaining about lack of offense here, the Rox have some holes too. 3B (stewart and j lopez combined aren’t at .250), plus Iannetta behind the plate at .211, Spillborgs is hitting .157. Hope Vogs can keep them in the yard…looks like another “summer” day for ATT (breezy and 50s). Good pitching weather as Kruk likes to say.

3. stixwiz said, on May 8, 2011 at 8:33 am

Blade: Thanx for all the insights. Sounds like you’re having a ball back around the old digs. Great you could see the team during its revision to form from chumps to Champs.

Jumping hurdles. So now we know the Giants can rally and win, torture all the way, but we’re used to that. Question now is whether they can, like they did a number of times last season, overcome an excellent pitcher who has tended to dominate them. With the still rather light and hobbled lineup, Giants will face an uphill grind against DeLaRosa. Should it occur that they pull this one off, we can expect a fairly steady uptick to their season.

The team still has issues, primarily most aspects of hitting, whether getting men on base or driving them in. But that will to win and that team spirit are showing signs of reemergence. Today’s game will demonstrate whether or not the Giants are about to go on the fast track to a repeat.

4. Nipper said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:07 am

Winning at home cannot be denied.

5. Rough Trade said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:12 am

Overall, G’s hitting .272 vs Rosa.
    Watch Freddy’s approach. He’s 10-22, w/2 hrs
    Tejada 6-15
    Posey 3-8
    Huff 3-10.
    Ross 5-20 1hr

6. Rough Trade said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:15 am

Might we see Whitey w/Posey at 1b?

7. DJLoo said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:17 am

Congrats on your Derby winner, RT…
    HTF?

• Rough Trade said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:28 am

Thanks. I liked that he could close and the fact he was bred to run all day. And then the Johnny V twist got me thinking this guy is due some good fortune.

8. Macdog said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:18 am

Blade, sounds like a great time! If only you could’ve gotten a picture with De La Rosa as well.

Rohlinger would seem to be the likely candidate to go down when DeRosa comes off the DL.

Even though MadBum didn’t get the W, he pitched well and that was the first time the Giants won one of his starts. Hard to believe it took a month for that to happen. Now the Giants need to knock off two more items from the 2011 checklist: They’ve yet to win on a Sunday (0-5) and have yet to complete a three-game sweep after taking the first two (0-4). Easier said than done with V-Song up against De La Rosa, but as we’ve seen these last two games, don’t ever count out the Champs.

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:27 am

Sheesh, almost forgot another thing that was funny about yesterday Macdog. I forgot the name of the company, but they were handing out free potato chips at the park yesterday . . . Let’s just say that the “glutten free diet” was put on hold for everyone, especially in our party. Two of my cousins had back packs and they must have grabbed 10-15 bags of the freebie chips each. Personally, I don’t think I will eat another potatoe chip in calendar year 2011, after consuming at least 4 bags myself, along with garlic fries, a Louisiana Hot Link sandwich, a cinammon/sugar coated churro, and coffee (only thing that didn’t have at least a gazillion calories in it).

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:28 am

Oh, and peanuts too . . . A ball game without peanuts just isn’t right.

• Nipper said, on May 8, 2011 at 11:32 am

The American diet!

9. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:18 am

Seems like a good chance RT . . . Quite a few of the MLB teams tend to rest their first string catchers on Sunday (to combine with what is usually an off/travel day on Monday).

10. zumarust said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:28 am

Blade, interesting that you mentioned a moment of sympathy for the other team’s player….I guess I rarely have that, but I had a moment a little bit like that in that same inning. It was when the Rockies catcher was desperately chasing down that weird wild pitch that bounced so far away. I could almost feel his desperation coming through the TV screen. He was absolutely moving as fast as his catcher’s legs would let him move. It’s what sports is all about. Athletes giving their all, trying so hard to win, and I had to respect that, and feel just a little sympathy for him later, after the Giants had won. The Rockies have become a big division rival to the Giants, and I hope the Giants always finish ahead of them of course; but as I’ve shared before, I’ve watched some of these Rockies many times in Single A, playing in the Cal. League. I’ve rooted FOR some of these guys before in the past. It’s not something that I totally forget.

11. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:41 am

Earlier that morning, I attended my cousin’s daughter’s softball game (he coaches/manages her and the other 8-10 year olds on the team). Zum, similar to what you posted – the agony of defeat and truimph of victory is in full display at these games. My cousin is so calm when one of the young girls make an error (it happens about every other at bat . . . grin). I’m amazed he doesn’t pull out all his hair after coaching one of these games. One thing the girls never make errors in though, are their cheers . . . They have these down pat and I am equally astounded with the number of cheers they have for different situations. Almost like listening to a baseball themed choir.

12. DJLoo said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:44 am

I guess the worries about Bum’s lack of velocity are overwith. Remember when he struggled to hit 90?

13. twinfan said, on May 8, 2011 at 10:07 am

I don’t see how Bum consistently becoming unglued can be ignored…seriously doubt that Buster sits, he just sat Thursday…
    Richmond lefty Surkamp lead the minors with 51 Ks in 33 IP..
    DeRosa is in Fresno for rehab, 1 for 4 last night, should be activated with Torres Tuesday…Two more hits for Belt, he’s at .444

• Rough Trade said, on May 8, 2011 at 10:13 am

I was thinking Huff might sit and Buster goes to 1st.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 10:19 am

I didn’t know you had to go to Fresno for rehab. My doctor suggested I try St. Helena.

• Nipper said, on May 8, 2011 at 11:34 am

Pickled liver?

14. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 10:14 am

All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother. ~Abraham Lincoln

But I heard his Dad molested collies.

15. twinfan said, on May 8, 2011 at 10:18 am

RT, correct
    Rowand CF, Sanchez 2B, Fontenot SS, Posey 1B, Burrell LF, Ross RF Tejada 3B, Whiteside C, Vogelsong P
    “B” will be postal, no Nate..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 10:24 am

I love today’s lineup. Why, pray tell would I love that lineup? I have De La Rosa starting today in our fantasy league.

CG, two-hit shutout here we come!

16. Rough Trade said, on May 8, 2011 at 10:25 am

Surkamp is an exciting development.
    twin, you think they would consider bringing him up for a start if Vogy gets shelled and Zits still isn’t ready?

17. twinfan said, on May 8, 2011 at 10:41 am

Well, he’s now their top pitching prospect. But I think it might be early with just those 33 innings above “A” ball..

18. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 11:11 am

“Sugar” Shane Mosley fought like a pussy and a coward. And if he was sitting here next to me I’d let you tell him that.

19. Kevin said, on May 8, 2011 at 11:39 am

A quote from Sandy Koufax
    “I can’t believe Babe Ruth was a better player than Willie Mays. I can’t believe he could run as well as Mays, and I can’t believe he was any better an outfielder.”

For a Dodger heis a class act!

• TedSpe said, on May 8, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Mays and Ruth. Apples and oranges. Both baseball Gods. One not better than the other due to different eras.
      And thank God for the ongoing evolution of same, Flappers.
      And happy mothers’ day

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I know this may sound blasphemous coming from THE San Francisco Giants Blog, but I’d take the Babe over Willie in a nano-second.

• Big flavor said, on May 8, 2011 at 12:30 pm

No way

20. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 12:17 pm

WTF is up with Buster? Jesus is hitting under .250. Somebody needs to turn his other cheek and smack it.

21. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Can’t say enough good things about the job Ramirez has has done. You’d we give up to the Sox to get him, Turpen? We filched those BoSoxs but good.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Excuse the typos, seems my prescription meds haven’t kicked in yet. Translation: I still need to make a run to the liquor store.

22. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Jesus H Christ, Tejada’s OPS is .505. That sounds more like an area code than an OPS.

What’cha doing Miggy? Just hangin’ with my homeys in the 505.

23. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 1:23 pm

As an owner of DLR in our fantasy league, I’ve noticed his first innings have been a big bugaboo for him this year. We need to score early on this chump. And just as I say this Font hits into a DP courtesy of Fruckie’s stoopid base running.

• zumarust said, on May 8, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Yeah, it’s hard to figure what he was thinking there.
      But he does make a nice play on D.

• Rough Trade said, on May 8, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Doesn’t seem the shoulder is an issue.

24. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 1:24 pm

DLR has NO Whitey clue where the plate is. We need to make him pay when he comes in with a mistake.

25. stixwiz said, on May 8, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Yep, Giants still making mistakes. Curly Joe was one of the last guys i’d have expected to GDP. But it happens to the best of em. Maybe this one will be a bit like Friday night against Ubaldo as the pitch count elevates. Could be the best strategy against this guy.

26. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I thought I saw a bunch of pigs runs yesterday at Churchill Downs.
    Then I watched two minutes of the Lakers. Oink!

27. mrmrbill said, on May 8, 2011 at 2:14 pm

streamers, the justin.tv/koztaz003 channel isn’t working today. Here’s an alternate … not as good, better than nuttin’: http://ilemi.me/23627/1/Watch-Colorado-Rockies-vs-San-Francisco-Giants/

28. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 2:14 pm

That’s some spiffy pitching right there from Vogelsong. And he has a MILF as a wife to boot.

Is it wrong to use the term “MILF” on Mother’s Day? I don’t give a shit. I’ve lost all my scruples and moral concerns many moons ago.

Commander Cody with the RBI!

29. stixwiz said, on May 8, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Pat the Bat has been warming up at the plate lately and scores the first run. And Dennis ~ it does look like Commander Cody has returned from Wyoming and is starting to hit his stride. Team still isn’t capping on the majority of its opportunities, but at least seems to be scoring on some of them ~ a marked improvement over the recent road-trip, particularly the four-run-four-day outburst in D.C.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Stix, it certainly does look like Commander Cody has returned from playing a rodeo clown and his back at his rightful position as the Giants RF. He got all of that one. Bolt of lightning that homer was. 3-0.

30. Rough Trade said, on May 8, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Don’t know how much more I can stomach of Miglite.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 2:32 pm

His OPS currently now resides under 5. Over 115 ABs and his OPS is under 5. That’s hard to do even if ya tried.

Hey, another impressive inning from Ryan. Nice job of battling back and getting Giambi. Kid looks good.

31. stixwiz said, on May 8, 2011 at 2:34 pm

All kidding aside, Dennis, that little Birdie is something like 32. But he sure sings a sweet Spring serenade.

32. EdGdsnInExile said, on May 8, 2011 at 3:04 pm

This kid is pitching his arse off, and our offense can’t be bothered to put anything together. I mean, I know we’re not purposefully scuttling it, but come on.

33. Macdog said, on May 8, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Cody in the pink!

34. stixwiz said, on May 8, 2011 at 3:06 pm

COMMANDER CODY! Back in the saddle again. He’s taming that bronco.

35. EdGdsnInExile said, on May 8, 2011 at 3:07 pm

And for those of you for whom this matters–or have some residual LA-hate–Lakers have just fallen out of the playoffs 122-86. Yes, you read that score right.

• SanDawg said, on May 8, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Thank you for that, Goodson. That does matter to me as I have more-than-a-little LA hate in me. That makes my day.

36. Rough Trade said, on May 8, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Looks like Ross has his timing back. Some good ab’s today. Rosa must be kicking himself knowing Tejada is on deck.

37. EdGdsnInExile said, on May 8, 2011 at 3:07 pm

It pays to belly-ache? Thanks, Cody!

38. stixwiz said, on May 8, 2011 at 3:10 pm

PLUS. DeLaRosa now at 116 pitches. Flavor said Vogelsong would pitch a strong seven. So have you been going to prophecy school, Flav? One more quality inning to make it happen. Will Broomhilda make her appearance this afternoon? Sure be nice if she does.

39. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 3:17 pm

3 cheers for Vogelsong. That was one fine and dandy performance. Let’s hope that Little Lord Fontenot’s error doesn’t come back to bit ’em in the ass. Here comes our LOOGY. I like our chances.

40. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 3:20 pm

How bout that DP? I thought Buster was gonna take the fer sure out at first. Then he starts the double play with our LOOGY making the stretch to complete the twin killing. Very nice.

41. stixwiz said, on May 8, 2011 at 3:24 pm

You sure did call it, Flav. Our favorite little birdie goes a strong 6+ and Lopez induces. This was the heart of their order happening. Marvelous hold!

42. xootsuit said, on May 8, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Seems easy to imagine Vogelsong pitching this well more than once this year, and fairly well most of the rest of the time. Zito? Not at all.

43. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Ryan’s wife, Nicole, just tweeted this: I could not be more proud of my Ryan Vogelsong! I adore him and the way he has persevered. #thankyouLord #SFGiants

Happy Mother’s Day Nicole.

44. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 3:41 pm

NO Whitey currently sitting at .150. 150? I don’t think you could get a PINT of gas for 150.

45. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Who gives a shit if NO Whitey is batting a buck fifty? We just swept the Rockies.

How the hell this team is two games over .500 with an offense that is next to last in runs is beyond me.
    Must have sumthin to do with that thing they call “pitching.”

46. James said, on May 8, 2011 at 4:04 pm

What I like about Vogelsong is that he’s consistently throwing 91-92 to go with the good command. Hard to imagine that combination not producing an ok result more often than not.

47. stixwiz said, on May 8, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Broomhilda rides again! One game out. Sweeps are sweet ~ sweetest when they happen against the primary division rival. Formula for success: Outstanding pitching. Decent defense. Sufficient hitting to back it all up.

Could be both DeRosa and Torres return on Tuesday as the Snakes slither up to Bayside. That happens and likely Fresnobussers are Ford and Rohlinger. What’s this i hear about just today Zito’s foot condition having a relapse? Don’t know about all kindsa rumors, but this one seems to make sense.

Giants now have up a head of steam, having won 5 of their last six games. Day of rest tomorrow and then its Timmy, Drrrrty and Cain ready to greet Arizona. Should Torres and DeRosa also be back Tuesday, Bochy’s gonna have to do some head-scratching about who’s gonna start in the outfield. Somehow, i get the notion he won’t have much of an itch figuring out his starter at third.

Magic inside, alright. Champs are back.

48. twinfan said, on May 8, 2011 at 4:12 pm

At least that 15-18 call didn’t work out- and no it’s not really close. If he’d known of the injuries, that would have been about 13-20…They’re two over .500 because the defense tightened up..simple.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 4:25 pm

You disappoint me. I thought fer sure you’d say they’re two up because of Tejada’s influence in the clubhouse.

49. Sportdude said, on May 8, 2011 at 4:24 pm

SWEEP!!!!

50. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Did you just hear the suck job Kruk laid on NO Whitey when making him his POTG? Holy Mother of Pearl.
    There’s being on the team payroll, and then there’s being a complete suck artist. With a performance like that, Krukow could suck a golf ball through a tailpipe.

51. zumarust said, on May 8, 2011 at 4:51 pm

One of the great weekends in recent Giants history. Possibly the pivotal series of the ’11 regular season. It’s a whole new ballgame!

52. willied said, on May 8, 2011 at 4:53 pm

That has got to get into Rox heads. Giants fucked them up here, 3 low scoring games, and now have 5 out of 6. Rox bats pretty silent today, from Fowler and the middle of the order too.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Coming into today, the Rockies were still the 1/2 favs to win the NL West. Giants at 9/5.
      But looking at my bank account, this chalk-eating weasel couldn’t tell ya the last time a fucking favorite came through.

53. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 8, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Man, from Friday night onward, we got our strut back, our swagger, our mojo. Our whaddayamacallit. Great to see — ’cause if you think about it, it was much later in arriving last year. Now — although it is still a very tough challenge — I don’t feel as if I’m experiencing a psychotic fugue to think we can REPEAT. In your face, Rockies.

54. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 8, 2011 at 6:27 pm

addendum from y’day at HOF: in a little side room, learning center, where they talked about and displayed the Giants’ artifacts, the room was arrayed w/ team player “lockers” showing representative memorabilia from different eras. Someone was ready to sit in the dodgers’ locker. They got booed away from doing that. In fact, the crowd made the person sitting there, take out and turn around the Dodgers’ nameplate so it was blank. The young lady from the HOF playfully encouraged us (she’s a Cleveland fan and knew her history; threw out a few nice jibes to the Yankees).

55. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 8, 2011 at 6:30 pm

If Tejada stays w/ the team, I see him becoming this year’s Renteria: a sub who gets hot in the postseason. If . . .

BTW, I watched Bochy in a press conference after Friday’s or Saturday’s game, I forget. I really like how he chooses his words diplomatically and as a way to protect and nurture his players, or to motivate them. He’s a straight shooter but also a gentleman.

56. stixwiz said, on May 8, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Just got a notion. What if even those otherwise good hitting teams who are shy on the mound, like the Red Sox, really have no interest in Zito? From what little we saw of Barry in that role in recent seasons, the Bullpen is distinctly not his forte. Should Vogelsong continue pitching extremely well more often than not, we face a dilemma. Yes, Birdie could go to the pen as longman and all too frequently might find himself relieving Zits somewhere between the third and the sixth with the team down by runs.

Six starters with five openings. What to do? Well, we do have a certain highly talented starter who threw a no-no not so awful very long ago. There’s more than one squad who would like to get their mitts on his arm. Loogie to boot. Yes, a bit of a headcase, perhaps, but the talent is practically off the scale.

Say there’s a team with a lot of guys who can pound the horsehide, but who come up just a wee bit short when it comes to pitching, particularly starters. Let’s say they got a good young shortstop, defensively adept and swings a sturdy stick. Let’s say they also own the services of a backup receiver who’s ok or better defensively and is no embarrassment at the plate. Giants have a reliever, Casilla, who is due soon to come off the D.L.

This all hinges on Zito being essentially unmarketable, even if the Giants pick up a huge chunk of salary. Would trading Sanchez and Casilla for a plus SS and an acceptable backup backstop be a move you would make under those circumstances?

• DJLoo said, on May 8, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Gotta get more than that for Sanchez….

• willied said, on May 8, 2011 at 8:00 pm

stix, vogs has one good start out of 3. Sure he was great today, but we also got Ws from the likes of Wellemeyer and Sadowski and Martinez yadda yadda. Zito is an unknown, but completely unreliable. You can’t trade Sanchez (who has improved mightily every year), and the pen depth with Casilla is another big edge SF has over everyone. As they stay in those stupid commercials, keep your edge.

57. Flavor said, on May 8, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Now is not the time to shop Dirrrty. He’s walking like 22 guys a game. Just keep him. When he gets back on the beam none of us would ever dream of trading him and when he’s a head case (like right now) no one would give up shit for him……….

58. DJLoo said, on May 8, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Bumgarner could be our # 2 come playoff time.
    Think about it…

59. dirtnrocksnreno said, on May 8, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I commented after the WS victory that I thought Sanchez had peaked last season and what you see is what you get. I still think the same. Despite the PS meltdown, that WS shine made this past winter the time to move Sanchez for the highest return. No way Sabean makes any major moves from the starters this season. Too much control over them and really they’re not the worry. This club just needs to hit better. Pitching is improving and will be there as the season progresses.

60. stixwiz said, on May 8, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Speaking of Wellemeyer, he just announced his retirement from baseball as a member of the White Sox. As for Vogelsong, i do think we are looking at a pitcher who is a notch or two better than the yada-yada’s, Willie. So far this season he has had two very good relief appearances, one good start and one superlative start, together with one game where he put men on and got victimized by the longball. As i mentioned, counting on Ryan depends on his continuing to pitch well fairly consistently. Four or five more starts should make for a good rough measuring stick.

Who is to say for sure whether a talented but troubled SP is worth more than a steady and reliable SS? Sure, Sanchez is worth more than some of the shortstops out there. No question. If there’s none available who’s worth about the same, trades can be weighed by a whole cast of characters. As you pointed out, Flav, in the opening for today’s board, Giants currently suffer from more available players than positions. So prospects, particularly at about High-A level, could go a long ways to even out a trade.

Ideally, one trades quantity for quality. Giants have done that with Pittsburgh almost an embarrassing number of times. Sanchez need not be ‘shopped’. I’m just saying that if teams come sniffing around looking for starting pitching and have no interest in Zito, Giants are stuck with the dude. If the right offer came up for Sanchez Giants should have a shopping list ready. Drrrty is one of the most unhittable hurlers in the game. Though he might be skidding a bit right now plenty of teams would pull the trigger to get him. Of course they would need to make an offer the Giants couldn’t refuse.

• willied said, on May 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I understand the allure of what an SP could bring, but realize what you have to replace….a guy the league hit .200 off of last year, and in last two years has lowered his ERA from 5.00 to 3.00, and cut his WHIP way down while striking out more men than ever. Evenif he does not get any better than this, it is still pretty damn good. That’s not Vogs, or Zito, or Bum, for whom this season so far the numbers of BA, ERA, and WHIP are all much worse than what he put up last season. Every time he loses it’s because he does something that hurts his team, either fielding or giving up hits with men on base (like yesterday and his start before that).
      Every team is looking for SPs…I just don’t think SF has any to spare.

61. DJLoo said, on May 8, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Doesn’t batting Fontenot 3rd tell you everything you need to know? They don’t care who they throw out there.

• zumarust said, on May 8, 2011 at 8:57 pm

It was a little gimmicky batting Font third for a few games, but he was swinging the bat well the last week. Bochy was capturing some lightning in a bottle, and it mostly worked. Give Boch and Font credit.

62. twinfan said, on May 8, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I’ve preached this for about 3 years- if you trade Dirty, better make it good. None of that Cantu crap some were pushing. So they get a SS and then have 3 starting pitchers who can be relied on.That SS better be Honus Wagner..

63. DJLoo said, on May 8, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Longshot choice to replace El Presidente: Bengie Molina

64. mrmrbill said, on May 8, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Not that this means much, but for where we were this time last year:

2011, 34 gm - Total: 18-16  Home: 7-5    Road: 11-11  Div: 11-7
    2010, 34 gm - Total: 19-15  Home: 11-8  Road: 8-7      Div: 3-9
    • blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Actually, it does mean something mrmrbill . . . For me, it means 2 things: 1. We’re essentially the same record, but doing marginally better on the road and significantly better within our division; and, 2. Reminds me that it’s way too early to talk about trading anyone.

If I’m a fly on Sabeans office wall, I’m observing him with a wry smile and definitely in bask mode . . . especially after this weekend series.

• mrmrbill said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I like the part of getting the heavy lifting (road record) done early. 20% of the season is done, and we’ve got 27% of the road (22/82) finished at .500. That 7% difference can pay this team some Aug-Sep dividends.

• mrmrbill said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:10 pm

err 22/81

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I tip my hat to you mrmrbill . . . Just a wild guess here, but you obviously are an expert at finding the silver lining wherever it might be hidden.

. . . and not only do you find it, you quantify it. As far as I’m concerned, that is POTD material.

65. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I don’t give a shit about how much heavy lifting we’ve done on the road. We are next to last (120) in the NL in runs scored. Next to LAST. We are avg. a pathetic 3.5 runs/gm. Miguel Tejada’s OPS is under .495. Under .495? That worthless POS couldn’t even afford a cup of coffee at Starbucks with his .495.

• mrmrbill said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Who needs runs when you’re … “winning!” 🙂

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2011 at 9:54 pm

While you’re swinging and swearing at windmills Dennis, you’re missing out on the what is happening right now. The Giants just swept the team most experts picked to dethrone us in the NL West. More important, we just sent a pointed message to that team, essentially saying, YOU’RE STILL NUMERO DOS!

Slow down and smell the roses Dennis. If you have one foot in tomorrow and one foot in yesterday, you end up pissing on today.

66. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 8, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Not many posts move the needle of this cynic, but this comment from a Splasher hit home.

trinkets

9:24 PM on May 8, 2011

I read this blog from time to time, and I get a lot of laughs and insight into the game of baseball from all of you. You might remember my emotional comments after the Giants won the World Series, me coming out that my wife was killed by a drunk driver in San Jose after attending a Giants game.

What made me want to comment was people talking about head stones. I recently sold my home, and the little bit of profit that I made off the the equity I had in it I used to alter my wife’s original head stone that reads, “Karen, it’s ok now, you are at peace, the Giants won the World Series” She LOVED the Giants and the game of baseball, and her favorite player was Will Clark, I have her signed Jerseys and all of her Giants stuff and I will keep it till the day I die and pass it on to my son.

Every Mothers day my son and I visit her grave site, then attend a Giants game (when they are here) and todays game brought a tear to my eye.

I’m British, she was American, sweet, beautiful, innocent, smart and lived for her family and Giants baseball.

I’m going home later this year back to England, I will be wearing Giants clothing every chance I get. From what I hear from relatives and friends back home is that while Yankee and Red Sox clothing is popular, Giants clothing and fans have gone up two fold since last year (progressive city and a progressive Europe plays a big role), people in England love San Francisco because of it’s uniqueness, openness, and understanding of different cultures.

I have learned to LOVE the game of baseball, it’s the most beautiful game ever created besides soccer and my son and I will cherish it till the day we die.

I don’t usually comment on baseball because there is still a lot of things I don’t know regarding it’s history, and don’t want to look stupid. I think I will now, on my deceased wife’s behalf.

Baseball is beautiful, and I never got to grow up playing it for obvious reasons, but my son did, being an American. He made the All Star team every single year he has played and it’s sad to have to drag him to England, it’s going to be a challenge but we don’t have any family here anymore. My wife’s parents are all passed away, so I think the kid needs family, after all, there is no better support system than family.

You are special people, baseball is a special game, feel blessed and happy mothers day.

67. TedSpe said, on May 8, 2011 at 10:51 pm

i…have…to…throw…up
    gnight gntlmn
    qstn mrk

68. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 9, 2011 at 12:21 am

A 12 pt. leap in the Flap fantasy standings for NO Whitey. If that doesn’t get a mention in Flav’s opening thread tomorrow, I’m gonna have my goons punch him in the goddamn throat right after they’re through beating the shit outta Alex Smith. 😆

69. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 9, 2011 at 12:34 am

Regardless if you give me a mention or not. Allow me to mention this; My 12 pt. gain propelled me to pass Chuck in the fucking standings. When you come right down to it — that’s all that fucking matters.