A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

A Historic Homestand

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 13, 2011

No one seemed too interested in commenting on it when I noted that I was ASTOUNDED that the Giants scored 18 runs in 6 games and yet won all 6 games. Then at ESPN this morning, the Elias Sports Guys said that the Giants are the first team in MLB HISTORY to sweep a home stand of 6 games or more without scoring more than 4 runs in any of the games. Something tells me that if Elias dug a little deeper into those last 6 games they’d find some other MLB *firsts*. Assuming that we are going to start scoring runs at some point this year, I can’t see us doing anything BUT winning this division by 8-10 games. It wouldn’t surprise me a bit if the Giants are the first major league team to ever win a game without scoring a run. Not sure how that would happen, but this crew would probably figger out a way to do it…….

The Flap Fantasy Baseball Standings

(The 2 heavy weights (Pawlie and DENNIS) continue to reign blows down upon each other and Edd scratches out another point to get himself not-so-nearly to 13th place!)

1. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:03 pm

NOW the dummy gets a hit when it’s a lost cause. Put it NO Whitey.

2. Macdog said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:08 pm

A little late, but figures a guy wearing #13 would homer today.

3. stixwiz said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Been harping about it three or four times now. Affeldt is not the same guy the Giants gave the big contract. At this point and for how long? Jeremy is essentially a situational loogie, not an inning starter. Not onto the RL split there, but Mota may have done ok had he opened the inning. Perhaps because of the contract thing, Bochy was giving Affeldt a bunch of rope. Maybe he’s now convinced the string has run out on him starting innings.

4. Macdog said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Fuck Barney!

5. snarkk said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Runzler doesn’t seem to be contributing much when he’s in. When Casilla’s ready, Runz might be the odd man out…

• Macdog said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Yeah, Gives Up Too Many Runzler can’t be long for the roster once Casilla comes off the DL.

• twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Might? As good as gone( barring injuries) and has been.

6. eddacker said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm

this game has gotten away
    I blame Huff

7. twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:16 pm

If Huff is back, he and Torres, the unquestioned MVPs of 2010 make this presumed loss insignificant.

• Unca Chuck said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Posey needs rest. They shoulda spelled his ass today.

8. Unca Chuck said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Darwin Barney? WTF kinda name is that? Might as well be Fred Freud.

Really. Let the whole pen just fuck up badly all on the same day at once. Cubbies can win 18-4. Giants win 3-2 tomorrow.

9. xootsuit said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Bumgarner had more poise in the post season than he has shown so far this year. Strange.

As to Bumgarner’s blow up in Fresno last year, he almost threw the ball at the base ump. He changed his mind at the last second and let it fly into CF. That was one of the more unhinged minor league tantrums I’ve seen video of. Of course, Delmon Young set the bar pretty high back in 2008 . . . .

mlb gameday isn’t a bad way to follow a game like this one, although I did hear some radio description of Torres stretching his Achilles tendon after beating out the bunt. Post game report will be interesting on this one.

10. stixwiz said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Runzler’s rusty as hell. Hasn’t been pitching in ages. Eons, almost. No wonder he’s horseshit today. No doubt he needs a tour on the Fresnobus with plenty of AAA work. We’ll soon see how Casilla works out. Long-term, Runzler could work out pretty good, but right now at the MLB level, he’s like one of those long-term unemployed guys who simply cannot buy a job and if he does happen to get a bit of part-time, doesn’t know how to handle it.

11. Unca Chuck said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:22 pm

You mean as opposed to the 800 bland ones preceding it?

Fuck. Lot’s of tweeners bite this team’s ass.

12. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Well, can’t say Runzler lost his poise,
    cool,
    mojo,
    or mien.

Never much had it.

This season.

13. snarkk said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:23 pm

The Giants were due for a game like this. Plus, the schedule maker had something to do with it, should be shot. They had the horrendous number of road games the first month, then they have to fly 2/3 way across the country after yesterday’s day game to play a DAY game today. Insane…

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:26 pm

True. Schedule has been challenging, but in the long run will help us. (Speak of easy schedules: Yanks. Oh, let me guess, who will be on ESPN Sunday night?)

14. eddacker said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I’m with GH let the cubbies get all their runs tonight.
    When Huff gets going he is going to be a major sparkplug.
    And if Freddie keeps playing like he is for another 100 games or so he will have a great season.

15. snarkk said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I’ll go out on a limb, this one’s done. Adios, get ’em tomorrow…

16. Unca Chuck said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Wow. The Cubs have 3 dying quails and our bullets get caught . . .

17. Unca Chuck said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:29 pm

When will the DeRosa decision come? So far, so bleeeh with him.

18. Kevin said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Not exactly the way to end a 6 game winning streak. When it was 3-2 that was palatable. but 11-4 leaves a series bad taste in the mouth!! Vinagar yum.

19. twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm

“And if Freddie keeps playing like he is for another 100 games or so”.
    Huh? He’s having a crappy year..

20. Macdog said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Ahhh well, may as well laugh off this laugher. At worst they’re still in virtual tie by late tonite, nuttin’ wrong with that.

21. Unca Chuck said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Like I said, they win 3-2 tomorrow.

22. TedSpe said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:52 pm

My fault. Yesterday I said I could use a laugher after the last 6 games. My mojo went to the wrong team.
    Is Robbie still here?

23. Unca Chuck said, on May 13, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Is Robbie Rob from the Insider?

• TedSpe said, on May 13, 2011 at 3:01 pm

SFGate’s Insider?

24. dirtnrocksnreno said, on May 13, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Well they scored more than 3 runs for a change. I didn’t like the Affeldt deal/extension when they signed it and still don’t. I was hoping he would pitch well and get moved but it isn’t likely. It’s early but dude is sporting 3.29 ERA and 1.54 WHIP. That’s bad right?

25. twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm

The ERA is fine, WHIP is high…
    Snarkk is bothering me more than he should… I’m just surprised at the level of doomering for a team that’s in first place despite an unfavorable schedule, and injuries to three hugely productive players- Panda, Torres, and Ross. But Snarkk’s take seems popular here, and now that the’ve lost one game in a row, it’s bound be even more so. Viva La Doom!

• twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Maybe I’ll stick to “B”

26. dirtnrocksnreno said, on May 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I’m pretty happy with the club’s performance thus far Twin so don’t throw me in the doomer boat. I’m just saying I didn’t like the Affeldt signing then and don’t like it now. He did well in the PS as did the whole staff but his 2010 wasn’t so great and it seems like he’s always giving up runs lately. Its probably just stands out more due to the overall excellence of the pen.

27. Kevin said, on May 13, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Not everyone agrees with Snarkk. it only takes one loss and Snarkk and Soph are pointing out the Giants weaknesses. Mountains out of mole hills!!

• snarkk said, on May 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Different POVs is all. Makes the world go round.
      I’m still basking, big time.
      I pointed out weaknesses AND the strengths, as in pitching esp Pen.
      I still have the 96 win prediction, BTW, that ain’t doomerish.
      Throwing me in with Soph is uncalled for; a low, low blow 🙂

• Kevin said, on May 13, 2011 at 4:33 pm

LOL, yeah, sorry, she is a true doomer/troll. I don’t think she says one positive thing about the Giants.

• TedSpe said, on May 13, 2011 at 4:21 pm

soph is an industry unto itself

28. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Other than the lineup that Bochy trots out there on a day in, day out basis.
    I think our team is pretty hunky-dory.

29. xootsuit said, on May 13, 2011 at 4:20 pm

The Gomez gambit has been pretty effective. Trenchant. Only winning disperses the doomers, however.

30. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 13, 2011 at 4:23 pm

The one Gomez (Torres) we got going good and Bochy’s gonna sit ’em tomorrow in favor of Burrell vs the lefty.

Now you know why *I* have a problem with the lineup on a day in, day out basis.

31. snarkk said, on May 13, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Torres looked like he tweaked his achilles on his triple. He’ll probably sit tomorrow as a precaution, good idea since it should be cold again.
    The Gomez Gambit. Name for the next Addams Family sequel?.
    Bad news. Harmon Killebrew going into cancer hospice care…

• twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 4:42 pm

It was tweaked on the bunt. That was pointed out at the time. He ran fine on the triple, but sitting one out is not a bad idea.

• snarkk said, on May 13, 2011 at 4:56 pm

You’re right. It was tweaked on the bunt, but he looked liked he was favoring it on the triple. His bread and butter is explosion, especially to the ball in CF, so they better sit him in the cold….

32. twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Andres has me very nervous, he’s had problems with his wheels every year. And by saying he’s the MVP already, my take on MVP is who would be or is missed the most if out. You can make an argument for Buster on that because his replacement is so Godawful, but Torres is the guy..
    Burrell is getting a produce or else start, Dennis. Don’t worry about it

33. TedSpe said, on May 13, 2011 at 4:51 pm

From SFGate
    ———————————————————————————————
    Brian Stow remains in a coma but has improved enough to be flown to a San Francisco hospital. Stow’s family said Friday he has been “responsive to stimulation, and while he doesn’t do it on command, his eyes have been opening.”
    ———————————————————————————————
    Any sign is positive. Man, I hope the damage isn’t too extensive.

34. DJLoo said, on May 13, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Thought Belt would be back by now. What are they waitin’ for?

35. twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I forget which scumbag he was on the Splash, but “Robbie” trolled here as “Hair” before he got booted,.His E-Mail is “hirsute” yada yada. Same trash.

36. Flavor said, on May 13, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I banned him about an hour ago. It’s HAWK.

• TedSpe said, on May 13, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I see you deleted one of his more charming quotations as well. I knew something was wrong as soon as those creepy Posey posts began.

Hose off the Flap

37. Flavor said, on May 13, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Verlander is perfect through 5. Gonna have to watch this one on mlb.com, this could be a historic game……

38. DJLoo said, on May 13, 2011 at 5:27 pm

As I said the other day, no-hitters are overrated. Perfect games? Not that big a deal, either. Especially after David Cone got one against a Triple A bunch of Expos, I think. They’re really just a fluky oddity most of the time.

• TedSpe said, on May 13, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Perhaps. But they’re fun to watch

39. twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Sometimes I like the day games- early bed. See ya tomorrow.

40. twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 5:33 pm

It’s over.

41. dirtnrocksnreno said, on May 13, 2011 at 5:41 pm

No-hitters and perfect games are overrated and not a big deal? I think they’re awesome and entertaining. I’m liking the reduction of runs scored and increased emphasis on pitching post steriods.

• DJLoo said, on May 13, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Well, that doesn’t make you a bad person…

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on May 13, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Thanks Loo. I’ll sleep better tonight.

42. Big flavor said, on May 13, 2011 at 6:03 pm

No hitters and perfect games are the opposite of “overrated”. They’re awesome and they’re perfectly rated the way they are…

43. Unca Chuck said, on May 13, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Granted, when it’s like Liriano’s (6 walks, a couple HBPs), they’re kinda lame, but still, even then, it’s fun to watch. Esp if a guy loses and throws one.

Shit, how many 1 hitters did the Giants throw and lose 2 years ago? Seems like once a month.

44. twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Dirty’s was one of the more impressive. Until Rowand’s play I don’t recall many hard hit balls or tough plays..
    Couldn’t sleep.You may get me all night.

45. Unca Chuck said, on May 13, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Yeah, too bad Uribe didn’t field that grounder. Perfect games are pretty damn cool to see.

I think Sanchez had 2 games where he threw a one-hitter an lost. Or maybe it just seemed like it . . .

46. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 13, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Bum’s 0-6 reminds me of Ed Halicki’s 0-8, I believe in 1974. (I’m just trying to impress. I really don’t know how it’s relevant to anything.)

47. Unca Chuck said, on May 13, 2011 at 7:01 pm

More like Matt Cain’s 6-17 . . . Pitched OK, but no worse than Sanchez.

He’s had bad luck, flares, errors, and lapses of concentration.

If they had any other options,

48. twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Matt had one year, 2007, where he was 7-16 and his numbers were almost identical to , in fact better than, the 19-7 Wang of the Yankees…

• DJLoo said, on May 13, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Hanger might’ve had a problem with that.

• twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Yeah, Wang was going to the HOF..
        And Hanger loved the vets.

49. twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Why Sabean wasn’t lying, Fresno rotation :
    Shane Loux, Age 31
    Andrew Kown 28
    Matt Yourkin 29
    Doug Mathis 27
    Josh Banks 28

50. Flavor said, on May 13, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I don’t think anyone ever questioned that he was lying. It just sucked for the AAA guys to hear it. The great irony here is, Sabean is now treating Fresno the way he always treated it— roster filler shit (outside of Belt and one or two others. Has Neal hit a fucking HR yet this year?)

• twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 8:14 pm

You need to learn to read my posts. More than anyone, you should know my style.
      “Why Daddy wasn’t lying to you about about girls”… is not really an accusation that Poppa lied. You follow? Probably not. Ask Loo, maybe.

• Flavor said, on May 13, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Yeah, 5 years into it, I still can’t figure out what the fuck you’re trying to say 🙂

• twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Let *me* know when you figure it out

51. twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Neal has to be hurt, has just 39 AB.
    Everybody knows the PCL sucks. Look the batting leaders every year. With very few exceptions they’re non-prospects. Sabean is no different from the other GMs, kids sail through the PCL in about a minute or they’re toast.

52. Flavor said, on May 13, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Beane’s 2 big bat acquisitions, that I ragged on hard at the time, are hitting .223 (DeJesus) and .231 (Matsui)…..

53. twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Burriss has about 90 seconds of prospect status left, if that.
    Rohlinger-none.
    Edlefson ran out in the last two weeks.
    Now I’m reading Neal isn’t hurt, they’re not playing him. If true, it’s over for him.
    Gillaspie has until the September call-ups
    So most likely it’s only Belt.

54. twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Who the heck would they stock the Fresno roster with except “roster filler shit”? They have maybe two guys hitting at all at Richmond. Their real prospects seem to fast track it like Pablo, Buster, now probably Belt.

• twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Richmond has 6 guys hitting below .200. Top hitter at .286 is 31 YO Justin Christian. Position player prospects 1 1/2: Culberson and Noonan. Kieschnick looks to be toast..

55. twinfan said, on May 13, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Gee, I’m chatty Mikey. I’ll try to sleep again

56. Big flavor said, on May 13, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I rather enjoy “chatty Mikey”. I’ll catch the rest tomorrow though gotta get up super early. Night all…

57. TedSpe said, on May 13, 2011 at 10:21 pm