A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

A 5 Run Explosion Leads to Another One Run Heart Attack Win

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 23, 2011

We scored 5 runs? Of course we won. 5 runs is like batting around 6 times in the first inning for this team. I don’t know if I’ve seen a cooler embrace than the one Ford and Burriss gave each other at the end of the game. Two Fresno Grizzlies finally get to get some and when you watch those guys motor around the field you just think “there has to be a place on the team for them.” Some people have argued there’s no room for a guy like Ford but I would argue how could you NOT have a guy like Ford? If he wins a game for us ever 2 to 3 weeks I’d say that’s an invaluable guy to have on your team. No player in baseball scores on that hit yesterday. Oh, except one……

With Tejada holding down 3rd base fairly well (I said last Winter he belongs at 3rd now, not SS) I would like to see Burriss get some starts at SS instead of Fontenot. Font is a nice little player but Burriss has, oh I don’t know, ELECTRICITY that has to be tapped. He’s bunting and hitting opposite field now–2 things he didn’t have a clue on how to do before. He’s turned a corner and if you don’t watch closely he’ll turn another one and be gone…..

He calls himself safe.

1. willied said, on May 23, 2011 at 7:16 am

re: “schierholtz taking my advice”: Loo is right tho, that is shortest route to an HR. I can remember Dmitri Young, who I think was on the Nats then, do just that maybe 2-3 years ago. He was a pretty decent hitter for avg. (when he wasn’t on the DL or something) but not much pop…hooked one right down the line and out the yard.
    Twin’s right too…whoever goes when Panda gets back ain’t gonna like it, and I don’t think it’s either of our last minute heroes yesterday. So…who is on the clock?

2. Unca Chuck said, on May 23, 2011 at 7:54 am

Burrell.

They have too many OFers and not enough IFers as it is. If they want to keep speed at the cost of power (and with Panda back, it makes it a little more possible), then they cut Burrell loose. Either that, ot they go with 11 pitchers and send Runzler down.

3. Unca Chuck said, on May 23, 2011 at 7:54 am

Or the just do what they’ve been doing and mix/match the DL. Rowand gets another stint. Burrell later . . .

4. Kevin said, on May 23, 2011 at 8:25 am

I was at the game yesterday, when Nate hit his homer the crowd went nuts, everyone high giving each other. Just crazy fun. And yeah watching Ford live there is no way he goes down. And Chuck is right not enough infielders! What if it was the 9th inning would Bochy pinch run for Tejada? Knowing he has no one to play third? Terrible situation!

• blade3colorado said, on May 23, 2011 at 8:35 am

Kev, I am pissed at ya . . . I was at the game too – I posted that prior to the game, so ya should have given me a shout and we could have hooked up for a beverage of your choice. Ted sounds like he is going to be at Wednesday’s game. In short, you flappers should look him up if you’re going to be there. It would be . . . umm . . . uhh . . . criminal, yes, that’s the word, not to.

Anywho, you’re right – the crowd was delirious. Right before Nate went yard, I was looking up at the scoreboard stat sheet for him, seeing his mug and noting his HR total, which was two . . . Up to that point, I really hadn’t thought this of any other player when looking at the scoreboard that day, but this feeling came over me that he was DUE. Immediately afterwards he jacked the ball out of the yard. Unfrickin’ believable!

• TedSpe said, on May 23, 2011 at 9:43 am

Yeah blade, I’m going to Wednesday’s game

5. stixwiz said, on May 23, 2011 at 8:25 am

Missed out on much of the game yesterday as thunder was roaring and i shut down my puter system. This happened in the 7th, just after Affeldt blew another outing. What is this now ~ my 3rd, 4th, or 5th time harping on our well-compensated reliever. Yes, i still contend he can be a useful situational loogie, but he does seem to have lost it as someone who can start an inning all by himself. Will he get it back? Who knows? If and when Giants start hitting, he may be an affordable luxury. If he’s doing this at home, where the team seems to have ways of coming back, what about the road?

Nate seems to have turned a corner. He has found a bit of a powerstroke, so occasionally adds to the offense, as in yesterday, as well as being one of the premiere RFers in the Bigs. He has made himself waaay too useful to be let go and nobody else seems to want Rowand, so the hammer may drop on Pat the Bat.

Speed kills. In this case, the other team. Ford and Burriss put on a clinic yesterday. Smallball specialists. Both are currently hitting at .300 or better. Yes, there are not that many ABs, but .300 is .300 is .300. Since the departure of #25 Giants have lacked for any kinda intimidation factor. Well, one is developing right before our eyes. If Burress is indeed comfortably bunting and going the other way, adding him to Ford and Torres; Giants are reaching critical mass in team speed. Yes, why not give Manny a few starts at SS to see how he handles the shot.

Dan Runzler came through for the first time in a bunch of while, bailing out Ramirez with ducks on the pond, getting that essential pair of outs. Has he turned the corner? Too early to tell. But he’s certainly won himself a couple more chances. And what’s happened with Guillermo Mota? Is he in Brucie’s doghouse? Could he be a worse option than Affeldt in the 6th or 7th? Inquiring minds want to know.

What a run this team has had lately with these walk-offs and steady string of one run wins at home. Unfroggingreal. Dominant at home with sellout crowds wishing em on + .500 ball on the road could be the formula this season. Seems to be working as only Philadelphia and Cleveland currently sport better records. All this with SF dead last in runs scored in the NL. Unfroggingreal.

• blade3colorado said, on May 23, 2011 at 8:38 am

Stix, we get amazing lightening storms in Colorado, especially in the high country. I’ve learned my lesson to turn off the pc when these storms get started, having (fortunately) lost two surge protectors, where they actually smoked and went kaput, but the pc being saved.

6. blade3colorado said, on May 23, 2011 at 8:42 am

Speaking of runs and just about everything else, you can chart in baseball, this Yahoo article specifically addresses Coors Field this year, but has a link to charts that can be massaged seven ways from Sunday on a number of baseball statistics. One of the best I have seen. Also, has attendance, which was a hot topic if I recall here a few days ago . . .

7. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 8:49 am

Guillermo is the long guy, the starters are going deeper than before, that’s all. A few relievers have been gathering dust..
    On “merit”, Rowand is the obvious choice to go for Panda, but would they eat the contract? A few times they haven’t been able to use Ford because they’re short on infielders and cant run for one…( these are the insights you only get here, and they’re still free!!!).
    Unless they find a reason to DL Affeldt, Stix, Dan stiil goes down for Casilla..
    IMO, Burriss is best as a utility guy-again, remember that a converted third baseman hitting .180 was the regular SS at Fresno. Tejada will be the SS when Panda gets back..

8. dirtnrocksnreno said, on May 23, 2011 at 9:11 am

Willie Mays field has become a super power vortex.

9. Bozo said, on May 23, 2011 at 9:14 am

This team doesn’t seem to have any quit in em. They just keep feeding off each other, with a new hero every game (or inning in some cases). I’m not sure if this is baseball at it’s finest, but it sure as hell is baseball at it’s funnest.

10. zumarust said, on May 23, 2011 at 9:23 am

Yeah- you’d have to say Burrell is the guy on the bubble now. That’s tough. He did so much for this team last year, on the field and in the clubhouse; and I don’t want to see the team chemistry altered at all, but…..last season was last season, and they have to do what they need to for this season. That still leaves a tough decision if they want to bring Belt up this season before September. If no one picks up Pat, could he be brought back in September, or would they have to have him in the minor leagues to do that?
    —-
    Btw- Ford had an interesting slide there at the end. He saw the play was going to be close and he slid late. He aggressively attacked the glove with his feet, and helped knock the ball lose, and also sent the catcher topsy-turvy. He just exploded that play at the plate.

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on May 23, 2011 at 9:31 am

Miller described it as “Ford’s fierce momentum as he came in to score from 2nd”. Appropriate I thought.

11. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 9:28 am

He’s an incredibly polished baserunner… if you call that his craft, he’s already a master. I’m surprised that it wasn’t noted by the announcers that he knocked the ball out.

• zumarust said, on May 23, 2011 at 9:33 am

The Giants have to keep Ford up at the big club all summer. Yesterday solidified that.
      Nate is making big contributions. So it comes down to Rowand or Burrell eventually. Rowand’s contributed more this season overall than Burrell. Unless an injury happens and makes the point moot.

• zumarust said, on May 23, 2011 at 9:39 am

I’m starting to wonder if there’s a spot for Belt this season, before September.
        Assuming the Giants aren’t going to go with 5 infielders all season, which is a gamble as it is.
        Sandoval gets a spot, obviously. Who gets dropped for Belt? Tough decision.
        Would the Giants actually drop BOTH Burrell and Rowand? That seems unlikely.

12. Kevin said, on May 23, 2011 at 9:39 am

Sorry blade, But I had these costco tickets where you go thee day of the game to the ticket window and they give you your real tickets then. Anyway I was in section 319 row 8, way up there. But IMO it was a great seat, my son and daughter with me. I don’t know if this was a Costco speacial or what, I had never heard of it, but each ticket came with $10 for food and drink. Too cool. Found a parking lot about 4 or 5 blocks away $13, could have stayed there till 8:30 pm,

• blade3colorado said, on May 23, 2011 at 10:00 am

De nada Kev . . . We’ll do it next time when I’m out here next year 🙂

13. Kevin said, on May 23, 2011 at 9:46 am

Nice stat in the Sac Bee, 9 in a row at home, and 5th straight over all, more impressive are the games started by, Kershaw, Billingsley, Cahill, Anderson, and Gonzales, who are 20-14, with a 2.72 era!! Thank you very much. Your WS Champions against Aces!!

14. TedSpe said, on May 23, 2011 at 9:47 am

I thought this was kinda cool. I was rummaging through a box of books last night and came upon my ticket to game 3 of the 1987 NLCS being used as a bookmark. Candlestick Park, Lower Reserve, Sec.19, Row 12, Seat 22 and….$20.00!!!!!!
    Hacman went yard, Jack Clark pinch hit for St. Louis and struck out to a rousing ovation and…oh yeah. The Giants lost

• blade3colorado said, on May 23, 2011 at 10:01 am

You didn’t go? Did you watch it on TV/radio or read about it the next day?

• TedSpe said, on May 23, 2011 at 10:08 am

No I went. They let you keep the ticket as a souvenir. Even the rain check coupon is still attached

15. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 10:07 am

Don’ forget that they were said to be shopping Nate- and no, my poor dumbalayas, him playing well would not change that ( a common blog potato “dumbosity” is their bizarrre notion that other teams want our trash). So put your head to work- what package with Nate in it could bring a SS *upgrade*?
    ( In other words-not Jack Wilson)

16. stixwiz said, on May 23, 2011 at 10:20 am

Twin, yes, Nate is fast becoming a hot commodity with his heroics and i’m sure ears are a perkin and brows rising. Were Nate to be part of a package for a very good SS, Curly Joe might go to fill the hole and our situational loogie who has suddenly become a question mark might fit in with a team which needs a LH in their pen. Who knows, change of scenery might do him good. But what team out there needs a prime defensive OF with a gradually developing power stroke; a replacement ss (obvious) and an LH for their bullpen?

17. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 10:20 am

With the Met’s chairman ripping Reyes, his price just took a dive…

18. Flavor said, on May 23, 2011 at 10:28 am

How about the idea of trading The Bat? He makes a million bucks, that’s attractive. He’s still got some power. Come on, we’d be trading our team HR leader, that’s got to count for something. If Domonic Brown doesn’t pan out in Philly maybe they’d be interested in taking him back for a bag of balls or something. Victorino is on the DL. Just an idea…..

19. Sierra Nevada said, on May 23, 2011 at 10:28 am

It would be interesting to try to come up with a “role” WAR stat for someone like Ford. To do it, you would have to come up with a comparison to other guys in his role, close game late inning PR. It would be pretty impossible analysis to do, but one thing that just jumps out at you as patently obvious is that there is almost no one else in either league that scores from second against that throw yesterday. Same goes for that wild run against Colorado last year. No way an “average” PR role player scores there.

So right off the bat you can identify at least one win in each year which Ford gets for the Giants over an “average” role player of his type. My guess is that he is good for more than that, given how much of an outlier he is in terms of raw speed, and the feel he shows on the basepaths. If I had to guess, he is good for 2-3 wins a year over an average PR guy. The only question then becomes “Do you have space on the roster for a PR specialist?” If the answer to that is yes, then Ford must stay.

The fact that the Giants roster is bursting at the seems with guys who contribute is frigging fantastic.

20. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 10:40 am

Ford actually has a positive WAR- better than Whitey, Ross,DeRosa,Tejada, and Huff.. that’s to date this year.

• Sierra Nevada said, on May 23, 2011 at 10:52 am

Yeah, I checked that stat after reading flavor’s initial post. But what struck me was realizing that the guy had made the difference so clearly in the game yesterday and in Colorado last year. Both times he was a short term callup. Based on games where his speed and baserunning savvy were THE difference in close games, and prorating his short service times out to a full season, I really think that 2-3 games per year is not a stretch.

21. dirtnrocksnreno said, on May 23, 2011 at 10:40 am

Schierhotlz playing well may make him a commodity on the trade market but I think Sabean and Bochy place huge value on him. He plays in nearly every game whether he starts or not. With Rowaand clipped and the $ hurdle maybe Schierholtz is the odd man out but then SF has a pretty big gap in RF next year. Unless Ross is extended.

22. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 10:51 am

It was the front office that put out that he was being shopped.

23. dirtnrocksnreno said, on May 23, 2011 at 10:57 am

I know but I think that was about 3 weeks ago. Schierholtz has had quite a few outstanding days in the field since then and even a few at the dish. It would make sense to move him when everyone is high on him. Maximize the return and all that. Giants fans that have seen this for the past few years aren’t sold. Plus the whole “not hitting/injury” makes me wonder. I think you mentioned it yesterday too. Is Schierholtz one of those guys that has to be 100 percent or he’s making excuses?

24. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 11:09 am

Your posts seem contradictory, Dirt. Your second post is what I said- his value has gone up- that’s good. Only Room B thinks we can get value for garbage…

25. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 11:12 am

“I’m liking what I see from Schierholtz, Brian. Let’s talk”
    “Can you wait ’til he starts sucking again?”

26. dirtnrocksnreno said, on May 23, 2011 at 11:22 am

In both posts I state that Schierholtz is playing well. I don’t think he garbage. He’s got incredible value to this club and he’s shown over the years that he can perform in spurts. Consistency has been his problem. Every time he has a down turn it is some sort of injury that is lingering. I like Schierholtz. He seems like the example of a guy who just needs things to click and get his confidence. I wouldn’t like to see him traded but his value is high and that’s when you should make a move. Not when he’s in a lull and not getting much PT.

27. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 11:36 am

So we agree. I just thought the first post indicated that you thought they wouldn’t trade him because he was playing well
    “Schierhotlz playing well may make him a commodity on the trade market but I think Sabean and Bochy place huge value on him.”
    Anyway, as I said, Reyes price just went south- it’s worth revisiting the idea.

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on May 23, 2011 at 11:52 am

Haha, yeah. We agree. In a way Schierholtz has more value to SF than any other club but I didn’t mean that as a shot at him. A lot of clubs would probably start him. I would like nothing more than to see him perform well for a significant stretch and stay with the club. Ross, Torres, Schierholtz is a great defensive outfield.

28. Unca Chuck said, on May 23, 2011 at 11:38 am

The difference is negligible. He’s not a full time player, and as such won’t get much in return no matter how well he does in spot starts and late-inning replacement duty.

Look at Torres. Before last year, his trade value was low. Him playing a full season and producing solid numbers gave him a lot more value. Nate, on the other hand, has not been able to crack the lineup due to his inconsistent hitting. He’s still a spot starter/defensive replacement guy. His value won’t get above 4th/5th OFer.

29. Unca Chuck said, on May 23, 2011 at 11:45 am

Mike, revsiting Reyes as a rental? Or some kind of major deal that they try to sign him long-term?

I think a rental deal would be fairly easy and wouldn’t cost any current starters (maybe Runzler when Casilla comes back), and some mid-level prospects. Reyes would likely split after this season, but his speed, hitting, and defense would be a big boost THIS year.

He’s going to want the moon next year, so he walks, but his presence this year could add to a suddenly speedy team.

30. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 11:47 am

Read carefully, Chucklet:
    ” So put your head to work- what package with Nate in it could bring a SS *upgrade*?”
    Noteworthy: he could start for the Mets.

31. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 11:53 am

Definitely as a rental. They’d still want a good prospect, and will get it from somebody- Nate and ? that’s your assignment.

32. dirtnrocksnreno said, on May 23, 2011 at 11:55 am

Would they go for Schierholtz, Runzler and Tejada?

• Bozo said, on May 23, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Three from the 40 man? It would be interesting to see how the Giants would fill those spots. I’d imagine Pill and/or Ishi’s names are getting mentioned in trades quite a bit these days.

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on May 23, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Belt could replace Schierholtz, Casilla for Runzler. It leaves SF short a lefty but…

• twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Runzler is still considerd a good prospect- not a blue chipper, sort of aqua maybe. I don’t think we’d get him for less than Natenstein and Wheeler, even as a rental. So Karnak may be right, but only because Wheeler is too much and the Mets wouldn’t take less- for the obvious reason- somebody will give them that much. Before Wilpon’s remarks, they would have gotten even more.

33. Flavor said, on May 23, 2011 at 12:02 pm

We are not acquiring Reyes….

34. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Well, not with Tejada in the deal. It’s worth discussing, Karnak. It’s become more possible with Wilpon’s gaffe.

35. Bozo said, on May 23, 2011 at 12:14 pm

With the Giants playing the way they are, I wonder if they really want to pull the trigger on a trade right now? I could be wrong, but I’d imagine Sabes would be reluctant to dump anyone (not named Rowand) from the 25 until late June or July. Although, any major injuries or a serious losing streak might get him going but right now they’re in first and playing well, so I wonder.

36. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 12:16 pm

First guy to suggest Rowand in a Reyes deal has permanent latrine duty in B. This is quite a job-you’d be replacing PickledGringo.

• Bozo said, on May 23, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I wasn’t suggesting Rowand in any specific trade (though I think he’d like to go as much as Sabes would like to assist him). I was just wondering if Sabes might be more in a wait and see mode because the team is playing so well.

So that’s what happened to Gringo. That permanent latrine orderly job sure keeps him busy, I haven’t seen that guys name in a long time.

37. snarkk said, on May 23, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I found it amusing yesterday in the post-walkoff celebratory scrum that a familiar number was right in there — #75. Jumpin’ up and down like the rest of ’em. Must be part of the therapy program for that bad foot…

38. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 23, 2011 at 12:28 pm

The manner and mien, the angle and attitude, the posture and positioning, the electricity and derring-do, of Darren Ford yesterday were pure Willie Mays, when he was with the Birmingham Black Barons. Really. And that’s saying something.

• xootsuit said, on May 23, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Ford’s helmet started to bounce out of control when he accelerated home, and then it flew off entirely as he sped into his slide — much like Willie’s cap used to do, when he rounded third at full tilt. (Check the pic above; he’s bare headed.)

39. DJLoo said, on May 23, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Reyes may want the moon next year, but who’s gonna give it to him? Philly?
    The only place i could see Rowand going to is the Cubs, who have numerous equally awful contracts to swap. The Yanks could make good use of Affeldt and Nate, but I don’t think they have anything to give us in return.

40. Sierra Nevada said, on May 23, 2011 at 12:39 pm

The reason the Giants can’t and shouldn’t deal for Reyes: He would cost too much. Consider that on paper, he is about as valuable as a Tulowitsky. His paper value will drive his price. But his negatives (injury prone, self-centered prick) are for real. The Giants would have to offer something like JSanchez + Nate to even be in the hunt, and the price could well be higher. We just don’t have the prospects to make the deal happen, not given Reyes’ on-paper value. So we would have to give up multiple pieces of the big league roster.

The Giants are winning with depth, and I don’t think you sacrifice a known winning formula for a rental of a guy with Reyes’ negatives. But I dunno, Sabean has stunned me before.

41. snarkk said, on May 23, 2011 at 12:59 pm

When Panda’s back supposedly in three weeks or so, I don’t think anybody’s going anywhere until it gets nearer the trade deadline. Somebody or bodies will hit the revolving 15 day DL. And, I don’t see Panda back that soon anyway. He just had the surgery on May 3. They need to make sure that wrist is healed up and strong enough to swing the bat on a daily basis with no chance of regression or aggravation. Maybe he’s a fantastic healer, but I don’t see him back for sure and able to contribute until sometime well into July…

42. Unca Chuck said, on May 23, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Well Sierra, the concensus seems to be that it WON’T cost too much. The mets are in deep trouble as a franchise, and they want bodies. I don;t think it;ll cost anything resmbling a big hit to the current roster, anyway. Certainly not Sanchez, or the deal would be off.

The Mets are looking to dump him before he walks, and thus nets them nothing in return.

Nate, Runzler, and Culbertson . . .

• Sierra Nevada said, on May 23, 2011 at 1:30 pm

If the deal is done for prospects, teams with better prospects to offer will outbid the Giants. I don’t think Nate, Runzler and Culberson would get it done. Again, we are talking about a SS who is a serviceable fielder, a good hitter, and a very good base stealer.

The only thing that will tend to drive the price down is the Mets’ need to reduce salary expenses. That means the deal will probably include prospects, and outside of the starting lineup, the Giants don’t have any “can’t miss” young guys.

43. dirtnrocksnreno said, on May 23, 2011 at 1:18 pm

As nice as he would be for a rental it is probably not happening. I would rather see SF make a run at Drew but no way AZ let’s him go.

• twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 1:58 pm

AZ thinks they’re in it, you’re right.

44. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 1:39 pm

The Mets chairman just took shots at Wright, Beltran, Reyes, all of them. Their prices all dropped by at least one blue chipper.

45. Unca Chuck said, on May 23, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Yard sale. Offer ’em anything.

46. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 2:07 pm

What makes it at least plausible is that Nate would start for the Mets, they’d control him for two more years, and he obviously casts a spell over folks.

47. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 23, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Craig Westcott (5-0) threw 7I of no-hit ball yesterday for San Jose. Maybe the Mets would bite on a guy like that. Hell, his career ML record is something like 21-3. Looks impressive, but his middle name is really “Sadowski.” Throw in Shitholtz, Runzler and — poof! Hello Reyes.

48. Kevin said, on May 23, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I just don’t see Sabes messing with a team that is in 1st place, yes he listens to everyone that wants to whisper in his ear. IMO chemistry plays a huge part in the way this team plays. Look at the way they ALL respond to the person who gets the wining hit, and it is someone different almost every night. Bringing in someone who fucks that up would be a huge mistake.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 23, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Anyone leaving the Mets for a chance to repeat with the World Champs would have a whole new disposition on life. They brought in the so-called “bad apple” last year in Jose Guillen. The clubhouse didn’t fall apart. By the sound of things, Jose’s genitals may soon be falling apart. But that’s another story…

• blade3colorado said, on May 23, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I’ve indicated all along – same as Kev and the Clown – that a trade may happen, but definitely not now, unless injury and/or a complete collapse occur in the next 3 weeks. Why in the world would Sabes even consider a trade, when the G-Men have a 3.5 game lead in the Division? Unless, someone “gifts” him with a stellar offer that benefits the Giants, I don’t see anything happening until around the trade deadline.

49. TedSpe said, on May 23, 2011 at 2:14 pm

——————————————————————————–
    I was thinking the same thing when I saw it yesterday. Willie Mays said when he saw a promising situation coming up he re-positioned his cap on purpose so it would do just that. He said it made good show business. I wonder if he tutored Ford or it was just a coincidence

• xootsuit said, on May 23, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I don’t know. May be. Frankly, the helmet looked a bit loose to me.

50. Kevin said, on May 23, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Look at who Sabes has brought in, Ross, Burrell, deRosa, Tejada, all hard workers, not Super stars, not someone’s who has an ego that says I am better than the team.

• Unca Chuck said, on May 23, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Uh, no. Burrell had much the same baggage as Reyes would. A ‘me-first’ kind of guy.

51. snarkk said, on May 23, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I know it’s an off day and all. But, this Reyes talk seems a little pie in the sky. Why would Sabes give up a decent package of roster guys and prospects for a Reyes rental, when he’d have to pay Reyes’ pro-rata salary for 40% or so of the season, and figure what to do then with Tejada when he’s already pulling down $6.5 million. With Panda coming back sometime this summer, Tejada would have no place to play with Reyes on the roster, so the Giants would be paying something like $17.5 million pro rated (at # games left in the season %) to two guys for one SS. And, then Reyes leaves next season anyway because the Giants won’t pay $100M+ for a shortstop. Seems unlikely to happen…

• Flavor said, on May 23, 2011 at 2:36 pm

exactly.

• snarkk said, on May 23, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to see Reyes with an SF cap on at ATT. But, getting him would be a big move away from Sabes’ typical MO for in-season acquisitions since the Jeff Kent / Matt Williams deal, namely get guys off the scrap heap or get small pieces and role players that hopefully add more to the whole to get the team over the hump and into the playoffs. A Reyes’ deal would blow that MO out of the water…

52. dirtnrocksnreno said, on May 23, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I saw somewhere yesterday that there have been 7 different player providing the winning hits in the walk off wins. Amazing.

53. DJLoo said, on May 23, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Everyone wants pitching, and the Giants aren’t about to give up any.
    I really don’t think they care all that much about their lineup.
    Last year proved that a regular season bust can be a WS hero.

54. Unca Chuck said, on May 23, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Kevin, Burrell had the same baggage coming here as Reyes would. He was thought of as a ‘me-first’ kind of guy . . .

55. Kevin said, on May 23, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Yeah but his attitude seem to change when he got here, now did Huff have something to do with that? Probably.

• TedSpe said, on May 23, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Huff had a bad reputation as well

• twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Burrell would blow up the clubhouse if he was strictly a pinch hitter.

• Nipper said, on May 23, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Burrell just doesn’t do it for me. Sure the infrequent power is nice but hardly critical so far.

• xootsuit said, on May 23, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Burrell got cut by the Rays and had to come hat in hand looking for a job. Reyes would show up wearing a crown.

56. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 3:10 pm

One of the few things Dennis is right about- this magic will not continue at the rate they are currently scoring runs- so Room Dumbalaya doesn’t want any changes. They may not have enough to get Reyes but they discussed it before Wilpon trashed his value, they sure as fuck will revisit it.They’d have zero problem making Miggy a utility guy.Or maybe you’ve forgotten they have a 12 million dollar 6th outfielder…

• Nipper said, on May 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm

The Giants should not stay pat. Sabean should keep making moves. Improving at SS should be a top goal. Tejada as a utility guy makes more sense as the season progresses.

57. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I don’t propose that it’s likely they’d get Reyes, I’ve stated often that another team is likely to offer more than we can (we have no MLB ready prospects outside of Belt).. but as of today it’s far more likely that they’ll consider it.It would take Wheeler plus…no, not Craig Frigging Westcott, a 25 YO in “A” ball who has K’ed 22 in 46 innings…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on May 23, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I said maybe we could get the Mets to “bite” on a guy like “Craig Frigging Westcott.” Their organization is in complete disarray. Who the hell knows what they’d take. I’d wrap Westcott up in a pretty red ribbon and have Santa himself deliver that present down Fred Wilpon’s chimney.

• Sierra Nevada said, on May 23, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I think you are right about the Giants not “standing pat”. That is not Sabean’s MO. It is likely that he will try to improve the roster. I think he could go after Reyes, but I just think other teams probably have better prospects to offer.

One thing is certain, though. The Giants have enough to win the division, right now. Pitching is outstanding. They are deep all over the field with pretty good players, just not enough “really good” ones to match up with the likes of Philly or Boston.

I guess the question I have about Reyes is, who would the Giants be bidding against?

• DJLoo said, on May 23, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Cincinnati?

58. DJLoo said, on May 23, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Maybe they should consider a deal with an eye to the future. Seeing the daily physical beating that Posey has been taking makes me wonder if he’ll be moved to first permanently in 2013 (after Huff’s contract expires). It’s not too soon to start grooming a young catcher.

59. DJLoo said, on May 23, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Bautista: 19

60. stixwiz said, on May 23, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Not comfortable with the idea of the Giants approaching the Mutts to trade for a rental of Reyes. Yes, he would in several ways be their dream SS, but dream on, unless the Mets proposition SF with a specific “who we would accept.” We know they are high on Wheeler. So maybe Wheels plus a now surplus IF like Curly Joe and a spare reliever, Affeldt, for Reyes IF the Noo Yokkas ask. IF Reye, before the trade, were amenable to an extension for two, or maybe 3 years, then maybe we could talk a second serious prospect not named Belt in the package.

Otherwise, my read of Sabean’s M.O. is that the Giants might not go for the glitz of NYC, but rather home in on a good everyday candidate such as J.J. Hardy of Baltimore, who probably would be shipped our way for a couple AA starters not named Surkamp and either Fontenot or one of the Giants’ Mi.L SS’s. Though trading within the division with a team that considers itself competitive, Willy Bloomquist backup SS with the Snakes might come kinda cheap. Houston’s regular SS, Angel Sanchez, might require someone like Wheeler straight up, or maybe Surkamp plus either our best SS prospect or Curly Joe. Stros are going absolutely nowhere and probably are desperate for pitching prospects.

My perspective: Don’t give up the farm for an egocentric rental unit, however motivated he might be to make a good showing for Free Agency.

• Sierra Nevada said, on May 23, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Sabean’s usual MO doesn’t apply in this case, I don’t think. Normally Sabean is looking to fill holes in a roster with terrible holes in it, in hopes that the Giants can scrape their way into the playoffs.

Right now the Giants are looking like they can probably make the playoffs without any additions. There are problem spots in the roster, for sure, but nothing like what their divisional foes are dealing with (the Rockies, for instance, have black holes at every position not manned by Tulo, Cargo or Helton – and Helton’s back is limiting his playing time).

I think that Sabean is more likely to pull the trigger on somebody like Reyes than some “good everyday candidate”. We have plenty of those already.

61. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 4:16 pm

BTW, only Huff is rated lower than Miggy (value thus far). Tops are Posey and Pablo ( even being out so long).

62. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Huff is rated so low because of his disastrous turn in RF.

63. blade3colorado said, on May 23, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I know this is anecdotal and a small sample size, but these 4 hot women in front of us at the game yesterday were trading binoculars back and forth ONLY three times during the game:

1. Pat Burrell before the game doing stretching exercises;

2. Pat Burrell during the game doing stretching exercises; and,

3. Pat Burrell at each of his at bats.

Consequently, I have ONLY one conclusion – Giants management would definitely take a hit in female attendance if they traded away Mr. Burrell.

64. TedSpe said, on May 23, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Brought to you by the blade poll (margin of error plus/minus 25%)

• blade3colorado said, on May 23, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Ted, you don’t get this type of Poll accuracy at Fox News.

• TedSpe said, on May 23, 2011 at 4:57 pm

hahaha

65. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 23, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Greg Papa was just rattling off how the Giants have been winning despite not hitting and some key players (Pablo) being on the DL. Then he added “Barry Zito’s on the DL” like it was another hindrance. Uh, Greg, having Zito on the DL is a fucking godsend. Moron.

66. Del Mar Dennis said, on May 23, 2011 at 5:15 pm

But then Henry Schulman followed that up by saying if and when Seattle drops outta the race, the Giants should and may pursue Jack fucking Wilson. Moron lite.

67. Flavor said, on May 23, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I’ve never understood Schulman’s fascination with Jack WIlson. It’s like, he’s heard of the guy’s name so that’s why he suggests we acquire him. Jack Wilson is a horrendous baseball player……

68. twinfan said, on May 23, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Now, JACKIE- that was a different story.
    jackie

• TedSpe said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Mr. Excitement. What a sad ending to his life

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:04 pm

What a fabulous photo of Jackie Wilson! Thanks. Current pop star Bruno Mars is totally modeled on (i.e., copies) Jackie Wilson.

• willied said, on May 23, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Yes. what a treat to watch…all those moves plus the processed hair. amazing talent.

• Flavor said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I honestly have no idea who this is…..

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I think “Lonely Teardrops” was a big hit of his.

• TedSpe said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:16 pm

You’ve heard his music I’m sure:

You know your love (your love keeps liftin’ me)
        Keeps on liftin’ (your love keeps liftin’ me)
        Higher (liftin’ me, liftin’ me), higher, and higher (higher)
        I said your love (your love keeps liftin’ me)
        Keeps on (liftin’ me, liftin’ me)
        Liftin’ me (liftin’ me) higher and higher (higher)

• Flavor said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Ah. Yes. Channel change for me….

• snarkk said, on May 23, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Jackie, hey what you doing now
        It seems like yesterday
        When we were working out
        Jackie, you set the world on fire
        You came and gifted us
        Your love it lifted us higher and higher
        Keep it up and we’ll be there
        At your side
        Oh say you will sing your songs
        Forevermore, evermore

{Refrain}

Gonna miss your sweet voice, that soulful noise
        On the nightshift
        We all remember you
        Ooh, your songs are coming through
        At the end of a long day it’s gonna be okay
        On the nightshift
        You found another home, I know you’re not alone
        On the nightshift…

69. Flavor said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I can dig the Bautista hr’s, and it’s clear now that he’s real, he’s no Brady Anderson. What I can’t believe is how in the fucking hell is this dude hitting .360?

• blade3colorado said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:19 pm

There was a good article on the adjustments he made in the off-season Flav. Essentially, he was pulling everything, e.g., all his HRs last year were to left, except one. This year that isn’t the case with his HRs or his other hits.

70. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Semi-watching Yankees game as background. Girardi was about three batters too late in removing Colon.

I have ever greater appreciation for how Bochy handles pitchers, and all his players. I’ve been watching clips of Boch’s postgame press conferences ay sfgiants.com. Years ago, I dismissed him as Eisenhower dull and lacking in imagination. I’ve come to respect how he backs his players, his diplomatic phrasing, his blunt honesty (when he wants it), and his cagey demeanor. He’s a shrewd poker player. There’s a little bit of Columbo in that guy. And I suspect, for the most part, players love going to the front lines for him.

• xootsuit said, on May 23, 2011 at 10:51 pm

In the post season, when they won a series, he always loosened up for the post-game interview. He became irreverent, colorfully allusive and very very happy. (and to hell with the commas)

71. zumarust said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Dodger woes continue. Uribe’s now on the DL. Ethier ran into the wall hard yesterday, and is sitting out tonight’s game. His replacement, Gibbons, botched a fly.

• zumarust said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Man, these Astro broadcasters are generic. It’s like listening to two Ray Fosses.

• Flavor said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:20 pm

that would be POTD if I hadn’t just changed it.

• Flavor said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I’m actually going to catch some of the A’s game tonight. No Giants game to watch. Plus, I have Jered Weaver on 3 of my 4 fantasy teams. And because I was in desperate need of a CI for my NFBC team I picked Daric Barton up off the Waiver wire. Slim pickins’ on that waiver wire…..

• Flavor said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:16 pm

what happened to Velez? I know he didn’t make the OD roster but might we see a call up? Is he still in their org?

• willied said, on May 23, 2011 at 8:11 pm

they activated furcal for sunday game, and he made an error that led to two unearned runs…meanwhile went 0-5 with 3 Ks…current avg. in the .220s…and of course missed a whole month. Nice contract too.

72. Flavor said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Fred Wilpon is a moron. Just read his interview in the New Yorker. What possessed him to say all those things? Was he drunk or just stupid?

• zumarust said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Maybe there’s something in the air. Roger Ailes, the guy in charge of Fox News, was in an article Sunday going off on Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin.

• TedSpe said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I haven’t read it yet. What did he say that was so outrageous?

• blade3colorado said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I didn’t think his comments were out of line, except for the one were he indicated that Wright was not a superstar. Otherwise, I had no problem with the comments about Reyes or Beltran. Yeah, maybe he should have said his critique personally to each player’s face vs. the paper. Who knows, maybe Wilpon is trying to channel Steinbrenner . . . It seemed to work for him.

• Unca Chuck said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:29 pm

If Ailes says anything remotely non-flattering, it’s outrageous.

• TedSpe said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Oh, never mind. You meant about him slamming the players. I read *about* it. Just haven’t read the New Yorker yet

• blade3colorado said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:26 pm

*where

• PawlieKokonuts said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:28 pm

But, yeah, WHY say all that? Maybe he was drunkenly stupid. Don’t forget: these are the folks who invested heavily in Madoff. Stupid? Foolish? Naive? Or complicit?

73. Flavor said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:24 pm

He said Reyes was a racehorse who is always injured who thinks he’s going to get Crawford $ but won’t. He said Beltran was a mistake signing who got his huge deal from a *shmuck* (Wilpon jab at himself) who had performed in exactly one series to get that monster deal (he’s right about that) and he said Wright was a good player but will never be a superstar.
    Why say all those things?

74. PawlieKokonuts said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:25 pm

The Wilpon interview was in April. (I get the NYer but have only read the online excerpts.) I think he was — as w/ some politicians often are — just being frank, in a quasi-Steinbrenner way. If he thought it would motivate Reyes, Beltran, or wright, he is flat wrong. It will do the opposite. But as to the accuracy, he’s not all wrong. Beltran was given that foolish contract based only on a series when he was in Houston. Reyes gets Crawford money? Well, Crawford shouldn’t get Crawford money, but that’s baseball. But the most puzzling comment is the one on Wright. A gamer. Maybe not having his best year, but c’mon.

On another note, PawliesPandas surge +8.5 points based on ERA and WHIP under 1.0 and 2 W’s. I had been plummeting. Pitching. My team is pitching. Sound familiar?

• blade3colorado said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Sheesh . . . Here’s a newsflash – CRAWFORD SHOULDN’T GET CRAWFORD MONEY.

• blade3colorado said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Whoops . . . I just seen where you said that. Haha.

75. Flavor said, on May 23, 2011 at 6:26 pm

He did the interview as a Madoff Ponzi scheme thing but tangent-ed on some baseball opinions…..