A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

An Offensive Offense That Redefines Impotent

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 29, 2011

At Bagg’s blog he raises the obvious question about a lack of offensive identity. And you can see what he means– we’ve got no go-to guy (with Posey and Panda out). We’ve got no speed. We’ve got no power. Who are we? How did we get here?

The ’95 Rockies had the Blake Street Bombers. The ’27 Yankees had Murderers’ Row. I humbly submit the 2011 SF Giants indentity: “The Golden Gate Geezers”….

I don’t need to wait till June 1 to say it: Pat Burrell and Miguel Tejada are DONE. Finished. Careers are OVER. I don’t mind Pat the Bat coming off the bench and swinging for the fences late in a game. Hell, he’s doing that right now anyway and he might run into one every now and again–but watching him fail miserably from the clean up spot on almost every at bat has me doing a slow burn. And Tejada? Ugh, let him play third base till Panda gets back but this guy is less than worthless right now…..

And Rowand at lead off is another thing to nix immediately. Just leave Torres out there against lefties. He can find a way on base and do what he normally does, “make things happen”. A team with no offensive identity can’t have the least likely leadoff man in baseball leading off. Oh wait, maybe that’s another example of how we have no offensive identity….

Over the last 3 games, the Giants have been shutout, then a random call up accounts for 4 of their 5 runs scored, then an error allows them to score their grand total of two yesterday. Pathetic. And sure you can argue that losing a ‘Posey’ will give your team a hangover but that’s not what’s happening. This is who they are. Pretty much every guy who comes to the plate feels like  the same guy…..

Sit Pat the No-Bat, Play Burriss somewhere every day and put Rowand on Zito Detail with Torres taking all the starts in CF. I’ve got no idea what to do with 3rd base…..

And how about Dirrrrrrty’s luck? He gives up two earned runs and I have a pretty hard time calling those runs “earned”. The first one was the lamest inside the park job I’ve ever seen, Ross absolutely should have had that. And then Whitey throws a ball into CF with Braun ultimately coming into score on a sac fly. Boom, 2 earned runs. Why isn’t Whiteside’s throw an error? I’ve never understood why catchers don’t get errors for crap throws into CF……….

1. Flavor said, on May 29, 2011 at 8:39 pm

You nail it every time dude, at least where I come from……..

2. SanDawg said, on May 29, 2011 at 8:46 pm

We gotta do another game this summer—and add golf to the mix as well.

3. Flavor said, on May 29, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I’ll golf 36 with you on a Friday, hit a day game on a Sat and still have enough in the tank for 18 on Sun. Or 36, who knows……

4. twinfan said, on May 29, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Enjoy your Weber Day, guys. Ill probably just sleep in a bit if the animals let me. Be nice to win tomorrow so the notion that they won’t win again doesn’t pick up steam…

5. SanDawg said, on May 29, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Thanks Twin—you have a good one too.

6. TedSpe said, on May 29, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I don’t know about the rest of you motherfuckers, but Flav’s flank steaks sounded Major General!!
    I’ll just kick back with my Cup-A-Noodles and dream of better days

7. snarkk said, on May 29, 2011 at 10:50 pm

It was filet of sole meuniere here tonite, with some dirty rice and a nice mashed butternut squash, washed down by a nice Monterey County pinot. The younger Snarkette is out on a long weekend camp trip into Sonoma county, she is starting to be missed. Tomorrow, the neighborhood gets together with the annual, big street closing and bbq (I’ve got the baby backs sleeping in some nice rub) — Happy Memorial Day to all…

8. TedSpe said, on May 30, 2011 at 3:36 am

Can’t sleep.
    Memorial Day
    Reflection time. I honor all who are there and all who have been. But it’s strange. I don’t actually know anyone currently serving. Both my uncles were in the Army. One, stationed in Germany during the Vietnam conflict, considered himself lucky, the other serving *in* Vietnam during the conflict as a medic considered himself screwed. But both are still around. And I’ll give them both a hello today. I’m a very lucky man