A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

When 7 Runs feels Like 77 Runs….

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 31, 2011

Now THAT was a ballgame. Of course, I wasn’t able to see it so I won’t comment on the details. But with Torres and Ross both going deep,  with no one hitting the DL, Bumgarner’s stud outing in a very difficult place for visitors to play, I think that might have been our best overall game played this year. Again, if you saw it and had a different opinion than I do, I’m willing to share your opinion….

Hitting bombs, that’s gonna have to be the way it is for us if we want to score runs. We don’t have enough speed or enough OBP to manufacture runs. In fact, I think it is entirely more reasonable to expect the offense carries itself with power instead of “little ball.” That’s one reason why I think Panda and Belt (should he ever get off the bench for a few games in a row) could end up carrying us for long stretches this season. Neither is going to ever lead the league in HR’s (that’s for the Bruce’s and the Stanton’s of the league) but they will hit for a high enough average AND OPS to provide the big hits we need to score runs.

And I agree with Twin, the 6 spot would look awfully nice with Torres in it. Adios Pelota. You know that’s what he’s always wanted to be anyway, not a gnat at the top of a line up……

And for your daily dose of “Jose Reyes” talk, riddle me how in the hell this dude has a slugging % of .493 with ONE (1) home run. That’s pretty hard to do. The dude is a doubles and triples machine……

1. DJLoo said, on May 31, 2011 at 8:45 pm

TF: Anybody on your second favorite team that might help us? Gotta believe they’re done…

2. snarkk said, on May 31, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Oh, and I noticed Tejada hitting 2nd tonite? WTF is that? His OPS is hilariously low, I don’t get that at all. Hell, put Crawford in there at 2nd, he already takes better ABs than Tejada. Or, are they afraid he’ll freeze up that high in the order?…

• zumarust said, on May 31, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Well, Tejada got two hits batting in the 2-hole yesterday, and in a way it was worth a try. Tejada’s not hitting extra-base hits. He just a singles-hitter these days. He’s going to sit when Panda comes back, anyway. Crawford is the shortstop. He’s played well enough to get a long look. Tejada will be a sub.

• zumarust said, on May 31, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Or Tejade will get released when Font comes back.

• twinfan1 said, on May 31, 2011 at 8:58 pm

He did have a well struck double first AB tonight.. but unless he dies, not unlikely with how things are going, Crawford will be the SS when Panda gets back.

• zumarust said, on May 31, 2011 at 9:02 pm

It’s getting hard for me to keep track of the roster moves. It’s unreal the amount of injuries.

3. twinfan1 said, on May 31, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Lopez had a switch hitter, a RHer, then a LHer. Facing that, the only viable alternative is Wilson for a 6 out save. This didn’t have anything to do with Bochy, a couple of good relievers had bad nights. And Affeldt’s ineffectiveness has impacted how Lopez is used.

4. twinfan1 said, on May 31, 2011 at 8:56 pm

So they’d have Miggy, Whitey, pitcher 7-8-9. Tejada second is better than that.

5. zumarust said, on May 31, 2011 at 8:57 pm

The A’s are getting torn up by the Yankees.

6. zumarust said, on May 31, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Well, that’s unusual. On a botched run-down play, Texiera steals home for his first steal of the season.

7. DJLoo said, on May 31, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Where’s Joe Crede these days?

8. twinfan1 said, on May 31, 2011 at 9:09 pm

The OF situation has been turned upside down- I think Ford is the now the lock to stay.

9. snarkk said, on May 31, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Tejada is not a #2. No way. He has to bat low in the order. A #2 with that low of OPS means he Ks a ton, and in Tejada’s case, hits into a ton of groundouts, as he’s notorious for hitting into DPs. He takes few walks. If Torres gets on ahead, Tejada is not the guy to move up the runner in front. Nite all…

10. blade3colorado said, on May 31, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Ted, your post about Romo and “. . . it happens.”

Yes, it does and not only to late inning middle relievers. I was just telling Flav about one of my FL closers. A guy named Carlos Marmol. Ya might of heard of him . . . Anywho, he had a line of .1 inning pitched (yep – point one), 162 ERA and 18 WHIP. Also, lost the save . . . umm, and the game.

Yep, it happens.

11. twinfan1 said, on May 31, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Well, Fruckie is not a 3, Whitey is not a major league hitter… as Z says, these are not normal times. And a LU is about all 8. Bochy knows what he’s doing.

• ewisco said, on May 31, 2011 at 9:40 pm

in the national league, it’s actually about all 9. and vogelsong and cain and sanchez can hit.

• twinfan1 said, on May 31, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Well, were it not an awesome piece of disrespect, Bochy might think of Whitey bunting and letting the pitcher try to drive in the run..you forgot MadBum, BTW.

12. xootsuit said, on May 31, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I can see Huff, Freddie, Crawford and Pablo in the IF. Crawford looks as sharp at SS as advertised, and he looks better than Miggy at the plate. Even in a good week, that would be startlingly good news.

13. twinfan1 said, on May 31, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Barring a total collapse at the plate by Crawford, I don’t think there’s any doubt about that.

14. twinfan1 said, on May 31, 2011 at 9:41 pm

But I wouldn’t get too giddy about Crawford at the plate. Bochy would dance in a Broadway musical if the kid hit .240..

15. xootsuit said, on May 31, 2011 at 9:46 pm

The fact that Crawford can hit at all is a relief. Giddy? uh, no.

• twinfan1 said, on May 31, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Oh, there’s a lot of that here. And short memories. Brandon has some tough times ahead. We’ll see how he adjusts.

16. ewisco said, on May 31, 2011 at 9:47 pm

total collapse? the guy has what, 5-6 ab’s? 10-15? He’s probably GOING to collapse. it’s the “what then?”. I have to say, I prefer giving the kids more ab’s, especially if it tightens up the defence. but bochey marches to his own drummer on things like this. it will be interesting to see.

and it’s still may, and they’re still above .500.

• twinfan1 said, on May 31, 2011 at 9:54 pm

He’s going to get the fucking ABs. It should be pretty clear. I’m not saying he shouldn’t play, just the fucking opposite.

• ewisco said, on May 31, 2011 at 10:11 pm

“total collapse” can be seen in different ways (is it .160? .180? .220? what about obp? I don’t think we need to get into ops). it will be interesting to see bochey’s take on it. he doesn’t seem to have a long leash.

night all.

17. twinfan1 said, on May 31, 2011 at 10:06 pm

As I said when he came up, they didn’t do it for him to sit.He didn’t play one game because of a lefty. He is the SS, maybe this works better for you: unless he goes feet up.

18. ewisco said, on May 31, 2011 at 10:12 pm

oh. just like belt then?

night.

19. Rough Trade said, on June 1, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Oh yeah! Was not optimistic 1-2 on Nate.