A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Accepting Nate for Who He is: A Late Inning Superstar

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 2, 2011

How often does Nate suck you into believing in him? “What could this guy do with full time at bats?” you dream to yourself….He’s a tough cat to wrap your brain around. He shows flashes of brilliance at the plate and with th glove. He’s got power (you don’t hit it 3rd deck at Coors field without it) and he’s got speed for a big man. Seemingly, he’s got it all. And yet…….

I think I’ve finally just accepted that Nate is most valuable as we’ve seen: in the late innings he turns it on. His stats marginally support this.  In his career, as a starter he’s hit .263, as a sub he’s hitting .294. In extra innings his batting average is .389. Of course, his batting average in innings 1-3 is .273, in innings 7-9 it’s .256.  so it’s not like the stats are heavily supporting something one way or the other. But he just seems to come up big late in a game. His hits are more timely or something.  We all know about his glove and that golden arm. I just think that, for whatever reason, he’s most focused and most successful late in a game. And you know what? What’s wrong with having a guy like that on your bench? Even if he starts, that’s one more guy who you can count on late in a game to come through….

For different reasons, Nate reminds me a little of Velez from a couple of years ago–a guy who you don’t really think of as a huge cog on the team and a guy who isn’t even a starter–but a guy who racks up as many POTG pics as anyone of the team…..

1. Giant Head said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:03 am

I did comment earlier in the season about Nate’s comments that he was hurt last year and his swing was affected. Who knows how true that is, but I said at the start of last spring training that I thought would be the everyday RF last year and would be a .275 15 homer hitter….I think if his production is in this range

2. Giant Head said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:09 am

Sorry got cut off and last post should have stated that “I did not comment” about nate’s alleged injury last year.

But completing my thought, I think if he is producing in that.275 range and driving in some runs, he deserves to keep starting. He is not going to carry a team offensively, but his bat seems to be a bigger threat than Ross’. If Belt is 100%, he should be starting every game and Huff should be in left. If Belt is not starting, we are better off with travis here and Belt playing every day in Fresno…

3. xootsuit said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:21 am

Nate’s limitations are as definite as his skills. He’s an excellent RF; but I wouldn’t want him in CF or LF for many innings. (Can’t you imagine him misplaying a line drive and then using his golden arm to throw a bullet to the wrong bag? (“Man. Everything was, like, backwards.”)) The one line in his career batting stats that jumps out at me is this: His numbers are high for the first and second time he sees a pitcher in a game, whether SP or RP. His numbers against SPs the third time he steps in against them are terrible (.228/.274/.368; 4th time is even worse, but only 11 ABs like that). He gets outsmarted. He’s a five tool player without the sixth.

• Rough Trade said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:43 am

Where did you get those numbers?

• Rough Trade said, on June 2, 2011 at 8:40 am

According to BR, for this yr, he’s hitting .231, .263, .357 ( 2hr) 3rd time, 0-1 4th time.

• xootsuit said, on June 2, 2011 at 9:03 am

RT — I was looking at BReference career splits. For comparison, I used stats for facing a SP the 3rd time in games for Buster (1 1/3 seasons — .294 .359 .454) and for Huff (10th season — .291 .347 .502).

Huff, btw, has faced a starting pitcher for the 3rd time in a game 1268 times. Notice that his numbers in that situation are slightly higher than his overall numbers. Nate’s, of course, nose dive.

No one has significant stats for 4th time in a game, I suspect. But I’m just skimming the surface . . . .

4. Rough Trade said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:52 am

Could be Schierholtz is just finally starting to put it together at 27. Fwiw, Huff thinks so. Could be another Randy Winn, who was 28 when he finally became an everyday player. Or DeRosa. We’ll see.
    But they aren’t sitting Ross, GH. If Nate’s starting, Cody moves to left unless given a day off.
    Think Belt is going down. Just don’t see him getting the playing time.

5. Unca Chuck said, on June 2, 2011 at 8:25 am

Or Torres for that matter, RT. It’s pretty rare, but it does happen that guys get it together later in their careers and become starters. No way Huff replaces Ross in the OF.

If Nate keeps it up, it’s at Belt’s expense.

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 9:03 am

He didn’t say Huff would relpace Ross…if Huff did move to the OF for some reason, Nate sits. Ross would go to RF, Huff to left.

• Unca Chuck said, on June 2, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I read it as GH saying Nate is in RF for Ross if Huff is in LF.

6. willied said, on June 2, 2011 at 8:32 am

I think Nate is a line drive hitter, not a 15 HR guy at all. He can spray the ball around the park, and go up the middle. I’m telling you, Dave Magadan, not dave Parker. He hits much better on the road, too and is a low OB guy. But so far he has out played the others, including Belt, for the 3rd OF spot.
    Lot of heroes last night, but the pen was super in relief of Lincecum..I only saw what happened after he left. Heat and humidity get him? flems said he thought he was done a batter or two before Casilla came in.
    Cards have 33 Ws, second only to Phils, but their pen sucks. The closer didn’t want any part of the struggling Huff, walked him on 4 with 2 outs bases empty, and SF winds up tying it on the SB and Nate’s hit up the middle. Then franklin gets slapped around later…even Tejada hit a shot at the SS. Paper tigers.

7. willied said, on June 2, 2011 at 8:39 am

Crawford with a nice late AB for the insurance run, and looks great in the field. Did you catch kruk on the last DP? He’s about to expand on the “smooth exchange” and then the slo-mo catches Sanchez fumbling it as he backhands the feed to crawford.
    flav, I talked to an older guy (my age) headed to the WSOP. He said anyone who buys in can play regardless of skill…that true? He also said he wound up on ESPN briefly, because he sat next to the guy who had won the previous year at an early table. He and his wife are pretty well off and travel a lot; this is just a vacation. What is the buy in, anyway?

• Unca Chuck said, on June 2, 2011 at 9:04 am

$10,000

8. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 9:00 am

Key to the game was long before Nate’s heroics- it was Casilla inducing and Crawford brilliantly handling Berkman’s DP grounder in the 7th..
    As the more knowledgeable have pointed out, Nate ain’t taking Ross’ job. If Nate continues to hit ( which would be a first as a starter), the OF against most pitchers will be Ross/Torres/Nate.

9. willied said, on June 2, 2011 at 9:03 am

Pretty amazing move to PR burriss for Huff, when you know with Belt hurt that if you tie the game up, he’s got to play 1B in the bottom half of the inning. wonder if burriss knew what the defensive plan was ahead of time…somehow I doubt he packed a 1B glove when he came up.
    disappointing AB from burrell too. facing a RHP, ahead in the count 3-0, swings at ball four and pops out. Might be only a few of those (ABs, I mean) left for him outside of PH duty.

• xootsuit said, on June 2, 2011 at 9:27 am

Pretty shitty move by the 1B ump to overlook Burriss’s quick move to get his foot back on the bag in time on that “error” charged to Crawford. I usually cut the umps a lot of slack, but that was a malicious call. Burriss needs some reps at 1B, however, that’s clear. Wonder if he can catch?

• Kevin said, on June 2, 2011 at 9:41 am

wonder if he can play 3rd!!

10. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 9:40 am

Burriss has his defensive issues, but I think he’s clearly more valuable than Fontenot now, wouldn’t surpriose me at all if Font was released or moved. Burriss has nothing left to prove in AAA.

• Sierra Nevada said, on June 2, 2011 at 9:55 am

At first glance I was going to disagree with you about the value of Burriss over Fontenot. After all, Fontenot is a better fielder, and better at punishing mistake pitches.

But then I realized that you were saying more that Burriss was “more valuable than Fontenot now.” With the emergence of Crawford at ss, and with Ford on the DL, Burriss speed and abiltiy to play at 2nd does seem to give Bochy better options than Font.

11. SanDawg said, on June 2, 2011 at 9:45 am

I’m not as high on Crawford’s D so far as everyone else. I haven’t watched every game he has played, but I’ve seen at least 5 plays that he didn’t make, where a “great defensive shortstop” makes the play much of the time. I don’t expect the guy to make all those plays or be perfect, but I’d like to see him make 2 or 3 of those.
    I was expecting him to be some quick little poor man’s Ozzie Smith type guy, but he’s a big dude that doesn’t look to me to have the agility to be a great defensive shortstop.

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:00 am

Well. the option when Panda gets back is Tejada ( not Fontenot), so learn to love him.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:07 am

His (O)OPS after nearly 200 ABs is .505. Not even a mother could learn to love that shit.

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:20 am

The reference was learn to love Crawford. That’s why it was in response to Dawg’s Crawford post, DD

• Kevin said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:00 am

Well, they could always put Miggy back at SS.

12. Sierra Nevada said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:03 am

Can either Crawford, Burriss, or Fontenot back up Sandoval at 3rd when he comes back?

If so, then it seems to me that the Giants would be better off keeping Fontenot and saying goodbye to Tejada. Really, Tejada’s ability to play a decent 3rd is the only thing keeping him on the roster at this point. Fontenot can still hit a mistake pitch out of the park, and Tejada is lucky to reach the warning track at best.

• Kevin said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:10 am

That is only if he gets a Zito fast ball!!

13. TedSpe said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:14 am

Of course I realize Loo said it first but I heard that “Wilson was lights out” line 2 other times today at work already

• blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:20 am

Loo is known far and wide.

• TedSpe said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:22 am

As opposed to me who is know for *being* far and wide

• Macdog said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:45 am

Baggs had it as the lede to his game story. Maybe he filched it from Loo.

14. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:15 am

Well, despite all the blather, when Panda is back, Tejada would be both the second best defensive SS and the second best defensive third baseman. And Burris is far more versatile than Font.

• Sierra Nevada said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:30 am

I understand that, of course. For me the blather is just an attempt to come to terms with the fact that, right now, Tejada is a black hole in the offensive lineup. He is simply not able to hit the ball very far, and unless he makes some kind of adjustment soon, is almost no threat to get even a base hit. Fontenot can still go yard, and is more of a threat to get on base.

So even though I understand the reason why the Giants have to keep Tejada over Fontenot, I still grasp at straws.

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:43 am

He had a double DEEP to right center the other day, two hard outs to the OF and one to SS last night. There *are* signs that he’s starting to drive the ball.

15. SanDawg said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:16 am

I hear you Twin–he’s our best option right now and I’m glad he’s getting a series of starts to show what he can do. I’m pulling for the guy to show he can be our everyday SS, I’m just not super-impressed with his D so far.

• TedSpe said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:23 am

I’m confused, who are you talking about as our SS?

16. Rough Trade said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:40 am

G’s will settle for less than “great”. Those are rare. Adrianza is supposedly a better defensive shortstop but has no stick. But right now, the bar is pretty low. Crawford looks smooth and poised out there. I also like the quickness he showed going from 2nd to 3rd on that short fly.

17. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:42 am

If it’s any consolation to those who are up in arms about Zito and Rowand’s contracts, they didn’t make this year’s Forbes list of Top Ten Paid Athletes . . . Actually, in this elite world, Zito and Rowand would be considered poverty level . . . umm, relatively speaking that is.

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:57 am

Giants’ pitching staff was worth about 85 million last year, or slightly less than James sees Burrell to be worth 😉

18. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:48 am

Well, Zito actually earned about 8 million of his pay last year. Unfortunately, Rowand only earned slightly above the minimum.

19. stixwiz said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:51 am

A third of the season is in and Tejada doesn’t even seem to be able to hit in hot, muggy places like St. Louis. O for 6 last night in the two-hole. Twin, i’ll accept your claim that he is our second best defensive SS and 3B, but isn’t there someone out there on one of the other 29 teams who would equal that and who could hit at least a lick? Then we come to Fontenot. Is he a certifiably BAD defender, so bad that his offensive contribution would be outweighed by terrible glove-work? Does a huge hole in the LU always outweigh a moderate hole on D.?

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:59 am

He hit three balls very hard last night-two to the OF.I’m not his patron saint, I just want you guys to be honest.

• Sierra Nevada said, on June 2, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Believe me, I would love for Tejada to turn it around. But for me two things stand out:

1) His steady decline in production, both average and power, over the last three years. There is no evidence that a few hard hit outs mean a turnaround is coming for the guy.

2) He is not a player like Rent or Uribe, who got it done for championship teams in the past. Some one like Rent or Uribe gave me reason to believe every AB, even when they were injured or looked pretty bad at the plate. I never thought that the either Rent’s or Uribe’s roster spots would have been better spent on a prospect or a marginal guy like Fontenot.

If either of those two things weren’t the case, I would say, “Hell yeah, send Font/Burris/Belt/whoever packing. It is not worth it to replace Tejada with a marginal guy or a prospect.”

Please understand I am not dooming it up – I am pulling for the guy every AB as long as he is a Giant. But there are other guys right now that I, as a fan, would rather see get a chance to prove something.

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 12:35 pm

His production in San Diego belies an irreversible decline. As far as being like Rent or Uribe in the past, you’re right-he was much better than either. Blaming him for some of the poor teams he was on is not reasonable. Anyway, I think he’ll hit better, and I’d sure as hell rather have Miggy around if Crawford faceplants, than Fontenot.
        My roster after the DL guys are back, presuming they don’t get a catcher:
        C Whitey, Stewart
        INF Huff, Sanchez, Crawford, Sandoval, Burriss, Tejada
        OF Ross, Torres, Nate, Ford, Rowand

(Ishikawa had been a wish)

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 12:38 pm

BTW, it may not mean much to some, but it’s real obvious that Tejada is busting his ass.

• Sierra Nevada said, on June 2, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Agreed on his hard work. He is doing everything he can to help the team. When I listen to the games with my son, I always make sure that he hears about what a hard worker Tejada is, because often the Giants broadcasters are less than enthusiastic about Tejada’s ABs, and I like to add a little balance.

But the bottom line for me is, assuming they make the postseason, who would I rather see coming up to bat in a close game with runners on? For me, last year I could say “I want a guy like Uribe or Rent up in that situation, even if they have been struggling.” I can’t say that about Miguel Tejada this year.

I hope he proves me wrong. It would be cool.

20. zumarust said, on June 2, 2011 at 10:56 am

The Mets hired a red-a## manager in the off-season. The problem with red-a## managers, is that when the team starts losing a lot, the whole story becomes about the manager’s red-a##.

21. Kevin said, on June 2, 2011 at 11:44 am

Chuck, your blog won’t let me post, logging in brings me back as anonymous!! I can hear the jokes coming now!!

• Unca Chuck said, on June 2, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Yeah, it’s dead, Kevin. Blogspot is a joke.

I’m gonna start another one if there’s a football season to talk about.

• Kevin said, on June 2, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Did you read about Alex Smith getting the offense together for some drills based on Harbaughs play book?? Dennis should be lovin the Niners right about now

• Unca Chuck said, on June 2, 2011 at 3:16 pm

You think he’s a doomer here?

He’s off the ledge and falling regarding the Niners.

22. Bozo said, on June 2, 2011 at 11:56 am

Ye olde Nate the Great question. I’m sure Nate would prefer to be the starter but I agree, the way the Giants are using him is best for the team.

Crawfish, doesn’t look like he wants to know the way to San Jose. He’s helping the team right now and doesn’t look like he’ll hurt us in the future.

23. dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 2, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Schierholtz always struck me as a guy who just needed to find his confidence and he would start to succeed. That’s not to say he’s a superstar but if he keeps spraying the ball around with the occasional bomb and superior D then he’ll force his way into more starts (as Bochy is alluding as well). Ross, Torres, Schierholtz is a good looking outfield defense.

Crawford is definately taking the opportunity but what has he had something like 20 ABs? I hope he can maintain 75 percent of what he’s shown at the plate so far.

• Unca Chuck said, on June 2, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Crawford’s no Bocock, but Burriss came in pretty flashy and we all know how that went.

But, hey. So far so good. . . .

24. Sierra Nevada said, on June 2, 2011 at 1:18 pm

It’s funny, for me the “What to do with the outfield?” questions just aren’t that compelling. There are guys on the roster who are producing right now (like Nate), and other guys on the roster who aren’t but could start producing (like Burrell). Who plays and who sits seems like silly discussion. Let Bochy manage, sit back and enjoy.

But the infield seems like a real problem, where the best solution, keeping Tejada and sending Fontenot packing, just sucks. I agree with twin that that is what the Giants should do, and I refuse to bitch about Bochy’s and Sabean’s decision if that is what they do, but I can’t shake the feeling that it sucks and is the wrong choice.

25. Unca Chuck said, on June 2, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Font’s got 89 starts at 3rd in 4+ years. One this year. 19 last year. He’s no great shakes defensively, but neither is Tejada.

I’d keep Font. Even with his noodle arm. And hope for the best that the other IFers stay healthy.

26. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 2, 2011 at 1:29 pm

CF Gomez
    3B .505 (O)OPS
    2B Fruckie
    1B Bout damn time I hit a homer yesterday
    RF Shitholtz the Great
    LF Rodeo Clown
    SS Uncle Jesse
    .C Name withheld
    .P Dirrrty

• Unca Chuck said, on June 2, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Should be P Diddy

27. Rough Trade said, on June 2, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Would think Burris is about out of options?

28. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 2, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Anyone have a clue about tonight’s SP, Lance Lynn? His ML numbers are good, but don’t knock your socks off. 30-18 (3.72) in four seasons. His PCL numbers are even worse. Maybe Burriss and/or Belt have faced him. 6′ 5” 250. I’ll go out on a limb and predict that Kruk calls him “the old big right-hander.”

29. ewisco said, on June 2, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Bochy didn’t change the lineup? can he do that?

30. TedSpe said, on June 2, 2011 at 2:44 pm

SS Uncle Jesse? I don’t get it

31. blade3colorado said, on June 2, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Dennis – He’s a 2008 supplemental first-rounder picked out of Mississippi with the selection created by Troy Percival’s departure, Lynn is one of the St. Louis’s typical strike-throwing college pitchers, throwing low-90s heat for strikes while mixing in the standard curve, slider, and change, all with solid command. He went 5-3 with a 4.06 ERA in 10 starts for Triple-A Memphis this year and has allowed just one home run through 62 innings of work. With McClellan out of action, Lynn should be around for a while in the Cards rotation.

• TedSpe said, on June 2, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Thanks for the research, blade

32. snarkk said, on June 2, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I’m gettin’ fired up for tomorrow.
    Not because of Gyros v. Rocks. No.
    It’s National Donut Day.
    Some donut shops and chains are giving away a free donut.
    Now, THAT is good news…

33. freshtodef80 said, on June 2, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Mmmm, Donuts!

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 2, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I like donuts as much as the next guy, but I think I’ll order the Matt Cain sandwich next.

34. mrmrbill said, on June 2, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Rohlinger is a Rockie now (sort of), goes to Colorado’s AAA. Henry Sosa clears waivers, goes to Richmond.

35. mrmrbill said, on June 2, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Other news from Schulman: “Zito to pitch for San Jose on Monday most likely.”

“Panda begins rehab tomorrow in San Jose. Two games there. Then to Fresno for 3-5 games.”

36. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Were he a Giant farmhand, we’d be pretty underwhelmed with Lynn’s numbers. Rhander, gives up a hit an inning in AAA, just fair control- they *should* light him up..

37. snarkk said, on June 2, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Lynn is just the kinda unknown journeyman the Gyros swing through early and often for about 7 innings. Shocking if Tejada doesn’t swing at the first pitch in at least 2 ABs…

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Actually, no. It’s usually the crafty types. But hell, after your 2-5 went astray, you can you can still root for that..

• snarkk said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I root for the Giants. I don’t root for my shot in the dark predictions, like you do…

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Yeah, I’m rooting for a win tonight, and the shot in the dark 4-3 roadtrip I called.

• snarkk said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm

If they win, I’m glad they’ve gone 4-3. And all hail to your shot in the dark coming through. All predictions here are shots in the dark, and for entertainment value…

38. snarkk said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Zito will start rehab pitching assignment next Monday with San Jose. If he gets hammered in a couple of Single A ball starts, then what?…

• TedSpe said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Take away his flask

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:16 pm

• snarkk said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Or, he aggravates that foot injury, out until September…

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm

They’ll need to be creative. Even if he pitched well, there is not a spot unless they went to 13 pitchers.

39. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Sabean with some strong words on Scott Cousins: “If [Scott Cousins] never plays another day in the big leagues I think we’ll all be happy.”

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Another: “If that’s [Cousins] flash of fame, that’s as good as it’s going to get, PAL! There’s no love lost and there shouldn’t be.”

• mrmrbill said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Well, that’s a bit much, but I’d settle for a variable penalty. Since he chose his target as Posey instead of the open plate path, he should sit out as many games as Posey will be out. That puts the penalty matching the offense. 🙂

• snarkk said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:38 pm

That’s pretty strong, and uncalled for…

• Sierra Nevada said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Bullshit. Posey is paying the price for Cousin’s attempt at glory. If Cousins wants to live in the “hard nosed ball” world, then I applaud Sabean’s hard nosed decision to make the dirty play stick to him.

Fuck Cousins. Seriously.

• snarkk said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I don’t know Cousins one whit. Neither do you or anyone else on this blog. But, I doubt seriously that he was thinking of “glory” when he rolled into Posey. For a GM to call out a low level player on radio and publicly express hope he never plays in the league again is bush, IMO…

• Sierra Nevada said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Keep up the platitude bullshit, dude.

I don’t care or need to know Cousins to know it was a dirty play. If Cousins pays a price for this play, word gets out, and it reduces the chances that shit like this happens in the future, then that is all good.

• snarkk said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:05 pm

No platitudes. I called you on a stoopid, baseless argument…

• Sierra Nevada said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:13 pm

No you didn’t, dumbass. You said that Sabeans comments were “uncalled for”. I make the case that they are very called for, and you respond with some “you don’t know Cousins” platitude bullshit.

• snarkk said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Show me where Cousins says or anybody explains that he made that play on Buster as an “attempt at glory”. Dude…

40. Sierra Nevada said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:38 pm

On the way home, I heard Sabean on KNBR. He had some hard words for Scrub Douche Cousins. I don’t recall the exact words, but he basically came out and said that that he hopes Cousins never plays another day in the big leagues. It was pretty harsh. I loved it.

All the “traditionalist” assholes who think that the rules for plays at the plate shouldn’t change, should consider the fact that the status quo not only came close to ending Posey’s career, but very probably destroyed Cousin’s as well.

• Sierra Nevada said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Oops, I see someone beat me to the post. Anyhow, glad to see that Sabean means to make sure that Posey isn’t the only one that pays a price for Scrub Douche’s dirty play. I am glad that Sabean isn’t glad to play along with the charade.

Hopefully, mlb someday decides that the entertainment value of such plays isn’t worth it.

41. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I don’t think some meanie-weanie words are gonna break Scott’s ankle.

• Sierra Nevada said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:00 pm

That is what gets me about this whole thing. Posey, not blocking the plate, came out of that play with a broken ankle and seriously messed up ligaments. Cousins came out unscathed. He wants to say “Sorry” and be able to walk away. That is not how things work in this world.

There is a price to pay for Posey for being a catcher, it is a tough position, and shit happens. Posey is paying a high price, and that is a bummer. There is a price to be paid for dirty play, and I am happy to hear that Sabean intends to try to make sure Cousins pays that price.

42. Kevin said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Cousins intent may have been not to hurt Buster, but he clearly was trying to take him out. His last step before hitting Buster was infront of the plate, not onto the plate. He also went for the Right shoulder rather than the left which was what he should have been going for since Posey had to catch the ball with his mitt hand.

43. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm

So what if Sabean trashed him? He’ll get over it long before before Buster heals.

44. snarkk said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Giants visit Marlins beginning Aug 12.
    Sabes v. Cousins in a three rounder before the first pitch…

45. TedSpe said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:08 pm

—————————————————————————————–
    Are you sure that’s what he said? Or meant? I didn’t hear it but from what I read, Sabean’s basically just venting

• Sierra Nevada said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Hell yes he was venting. But he also referenced Matheny’s comments. If you recall, Matheney talked about dirty play and how to deal with it in future encounters.

It was not empty words, or didn’t seem so to me.

• mrmrbill said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:21 pm

He’s pretty powerless — changes in baseball are extraordinarily glacial. Whilst his words may be sincere, they’re a mere fart in the thunderstorm of baseball “tradition”.

46. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:14 pm

The fucking guy is 26 and he’s hitting .159. He might not be around for any rematch. If he is, doubt he plays.

• Sierra Nevada said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:28 pm

That is part of the tragedy of this. Chances are that that one stupid play is the “highlight” of his career. It is fucking stupid that guys like him are put in positions like that. I can’t believe that mlb is willing to sacrafice guys like Cousins and Posey for to keep such stupid fucking plays legal.

47. mrmrbill said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Far off-topic: MrMrBill just got a contract to supply a local restaurant with his (near)famous Habanero-Lime Cheesecake! Yes, it’s spicy hot(!). If you’re ever in the San Rafael/Marin area, stop in at Sabor of Spain and try a piece.

• mrmrbill said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:16 pm

(return to humble web geek / baseball enthusiast mode )

• TedSpe said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Spicy hot cheesecake?

• mrmrbill said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Ubetcha. Get yer heat on. It also doubles as a good pack of Icy Hot for pitcher’s arms.

48. TedSpe said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Man, I hope this game doesn’t go into overtime. GHIDORA, THE THREE HEADED MONSTER is on at 8:15 tonight

49. snarkk said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Why wasn’t this game a day game? It’s a getaway day. Giants definitely not getting any luv from the scheduler this year; they’ll be getting home when the rooster starts crowing…

• Sierra Nevada said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I think it is the economy. Teams are scrambling for cash, and early afternoon games bring in less money.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:49 pm

It has to do with the time zones as well. CDT to PDT for night-to-night games is OK per MLB rules.

• Rough Trade said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I think it’s because they played a day game Monday.

50. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Lynn was 3 for 57 as a minor leaguer.

• DJLoo said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:16 pm

He could bat clean-up for us.

51. TedSpe said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I won’t say anything because I don’t want to jinx it but Lynn’s got a perfect game going here…D’OH!!

• Bozo said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:19 pm

What’s that you say Ted? Lynn hasn’t allowed a hit? No runs, no hits? That is unbelievable, I can’t fucking believe it. Can you? NO HITS, the dude is another Koufax. No hits, man oh man. No runs as well, that’s fucking nuts. No runs, no hits, FUCK ME. So you’re saying this guy Lynn is throwing a NO HITTER?

• Bozo said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Can you believe it, this guy Lynn has only allowed one hit (well, and a HBP), he;s another Nolan Ryan.

52. Big flavor said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Something I like about Tejada: I think he’s always the first guy to get to a mound meeting and he absolutely goes to the pitcher with words of encouragement/communication more often than any other player on the infield by far. I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen Huff do that…

53. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:19 pm

I think Henry is tiring of the 24/7 Tejada bashing

——————————————————————————–
    Also, did Tejada kill the Lindbergh baby? RT @PJMasterson: @hankschulman @extrabaggs does panda get the ball to huff quicker on that play?

54. Macdog said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Huff takes over the team HR lead!

55. snarkk said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:24 pm

If Huff starts hitting more HRs like that, he can let Tejada go to the mound to talk all year….

56. Rough Trade said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Uh, still want to bat him 7th?

57. DJLoo said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Awe-brey!!!!!!!!!

• twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Wasn’t your best timing on the Huff diss, Loo-Igi..

• DJLoo said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I was hoping no one would notice.

58. Bozo said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Can you believe this guy Lynn? He’s only allowed one hit. The dude must be Bob Gibson reincarnated.

59. DJLoo said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Time for Kruk to start yakkin’ it up about Reuter’s gay woodshed…

• Big flavor said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Hahaha.

60. DJLoo said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Am I the only one who remembers Bill Rohr’s major league debut?

61. stixwiz said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Can you believe that Huff? Acting like he’s sposta be the cleanup hitter or something.

62. Big flavor said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:48 pm

From what I’ve seen from Rasmus, well, he’s a pretty shitty outfielder….

63. freshtodef80 said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Gomez’s!!

64. snarkk said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Heads-up baserunning from Torres and Tejada…

65. zumarust said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:53 pm

It’s amazing- another flub-up by the Cardinals in left-center when playing the Giants. Two close plays in left-center helped the Giants win two games against the Cardinals at AT&T.

66. Big flavor said, on June 2, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Insane read by Tejada but maybd a tad irresponsible. You only make that move if you’re certain that’s dropping. But fuck it, it could have just been a great read.

• snarkk said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I’ll give him credit, great read. He watched it for a bit while off second, then made the call and ran for home…

67. stixwiz said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Does Aubrey too read the Flap? Calls for him to be dropped to 7th in the order may have got to him. Right before our eyes, right under the Arch, ol Huff n’ Puff, even without the mystical thong, transmogrifies once again into Huff the Magic Dragon. Maybe its the heat and humidity, but even Tejada has appeared to have come down with the ash virus. Or does he use maple?

68. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Players would be fucking nutz to read any of the blogs.

69. Big flavor said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Whiteside has a double A arm

• snarkk said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Giants pitchers as a group are pretty bad at keeping runners close on the bags, too…

70. snarkk said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Wow, Casilla induces the DP.
    That was huge…

71. unca chuck said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Brilliant . . .

Can’t believe they didn’t run on Torres. . . .

72. Rough Trade said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Both nights Casilla raised the anxiety level, but got a DP.

73. twinfan1 said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Because he usually has an accurate if not particularly strong arm..

74. stixwiz said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Anyone notice the type of pitch Casilla used to get Theriot’s GDP? Was it the same as the one he got the same result with last night? His return to the Pen is just what the doctor ordered. This team has long needed a true fireman ~ a guy who can come into an inning and stymie a rally.

• unca chuck said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:23 pm

It was a good one . . .

• Rough Trade said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I don’t think anyone’s missing Runzler.

75. unca chuck said, on June 2, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Wow. Seeing eye double . . .