A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

When Champions Shine

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 3, 2011

This trip provided us a great reminder that we are the World Champions. I’d forgotten about how cool Aubry Huff’s HR trots are. They’ve got like this understated jazzy flair–almost the exact opposite of my main man Jeff Leonard. He’ll give a little gentle bat flip, he pauses before touching a bag and then speeds up as he touches it–almost imperceptible. For a moment, it’s like watching old film from the 30’s. Anyway, I hope those three BOMBS are enough to get him going. And bombs are really going to have to be the cornerstone of how we generate runs this year. We were never a small ball team. Not last year, not this year. And we don’t need to lead the league in HR’s but we do need to hit them to win games consistently. St Louis got an SF Giant Slap Down this week………

Without further adieu I give you….The Flap Fantasy Baseball Standings (There’s been a lot of movement since I last posted the standings. As Edd warned us this morning on the message board, “baseball is a long season….” Muhuahahahahaha!!!!!)

1. willied said, on June 3, 2011 at 8:34 pm

that’s ok…one more half inning and this is official, rain or not.

2. slo_roll said, on June 3, 2011 at 8:35 pm

This blog is a beautiful sight to see. I just spent a week over at baggs site and I feel like I have been to hell and not back. It is so depressing over there, words can’t describe it – Thanks Guys.

3. xootsuit said, on June 3, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Cousins hit Posey with malice. The carefully prepared statement Sabean delivered at the beginning of the radio show did not call it malice. Instead, he said: “If you don’t call it malicious, it was unnecessary.” I think that trope is called paralipsis. The Giants intended to raise the issue of malice without directly accusing Cousins of it. The opening segment of the radio show was deliberate. Then, Sabean got loose. Later, while bs-ing with Barbieiri he said something like: “To me, it was malicious.” All of the statements that got him in trouble were in the in the later discussion, and he personalized the issues. He fucked up. Baer must’ve been apoplectic. But make no mistake: The Giants intended to call Cousins out on the show. Sabean just went too far.

I see no problem with what the Giants tried to do. Cousins was malicious. Sabean’s description, in the well drafted opening statement part of the radio show, nailed the maliciously motivated move Cousins put on Posey, deliberately slamming his right shoulder across Posey’s body to his right shoulder. The hit was highly reckless; some sort of injury was inevitable. He deserves what he gets now.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:04 pm

NO Whitey deserves to have their life and family threatened because he barreled over a catcher at home plate. And who made you judge, jury and executioner to claim Cousin was “malicious?” You have has much right to interpret intend as the man on the moon. Is your middle name “Kreskin?”

We lost the heart and soul of our team on a play at the play. It’s over. Let it go…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:10 pm

“intent” and play at the “plate.” You can blame my malicious typos on Cousin and beer.

• xootsuit said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:11 pm

We lost the heart and soul etc., and “let it go”? You’re a real tough motherfucker, huh?

The malice is obvious. The fucker deserves to burn in hell. Oh, sorry, that’s your line. To suffer the consequences.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Seriously, how is the “malice” obvious? You don’t have a fucking clue what was inside Cousin’s head as he ran over our catcher. No clue. No one does, except Scott Cousins.

Counselor, until you get a signed affidavit from Scott Cousins stating his forethought was to hit our catcher with “motivative malicious intent,” shut the fuck up.

We’re leading 3-1 here in the T8. Go away, son. You’re bothering me.

• xootsuit said, on June 3, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Cousins made a deliberate move. He aimed his right shoulder at Posey’s right shoulder. Etc. etc. He made decisions. That’s how you know what was in his mind. Here, try this example: a judge looks down from the bench and tells the criminial defendant, I sentence to you to 5 years in state penitentiary. The defendant turns and runs toward the front door of the courtroom. Bailiffs stop him. What was in the guy’s mind? Did he intend to escape?

• xootsuit said, on June 3, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Oh, and fuck you, dimwit.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 3, 2011 at 10:39 pm

That’s one helluva closing argument you have there, counselor. You put Roy Black to shame. When I seek my next acquittal on a rape charge, I’ll be sure and give ya a call.

4. DJLoo said, on June 3, 2011 at 8:49 pm

The way Miller was panicking about the rain on the radio, I was expecting them to bring in BW for the 3rd out…

5. snarkk said, on June 3, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I don’t get that.
    Burriss makes a nice bunt hit, then Franchez swings at the first pitch.
    No chance for a Burriss steal, or even a run and hit. WTF?…

6. stixwiz said, on June 3, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Way to early to make any rash predictions, but that Crawford kid has produced 11 runs in all of two dozen A.B.’s. This keeps up a little longer and the Mutts will be offering Reyes on a silver platter, pointing at SF’s kid shortstop and Wheeler as the deal clinchers. If i were Sabean, i’d chuckle.

7. twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Pablo 0-3.
    Top prospects, catcher Hector Sanchez and CFer Gary Brown each had 3 hits and 4 RBI. Both need to be moved to Richmond soon.

• Bozo said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:13 pm

San Jose is on fire, move the whole team to Fresno.

Brown and Sanchez may be on the old fast track. If either/both go to Richmond, you may see them in the September call-ups.

8. Kevin said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:02 pm

If cousins ever gets into the batters box against a giants pitcher, he will get plunked! And I think it should be a fast ball. And no not a head shot, I want it right on the rib cage, 94 mph dart!

• Bozo said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Two more experts have weighed in on the legality of the Posey hit:

It’s only illegal if you spit on the guy after the hit.
      /S Bill Romanowski

The hit was legal, he still has both of his ears.
      /S Mike Tyson

• xootsuit said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Mission accomplished!
      /s GWB

• Bozo said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:15 pm

So Cousins was just going for the Shock and Awe routine?

• xootsuit said, on June 3, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Boom! Safe!

9. stixwiz said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:07 pm

In some respects Buress may be a work in progress, but more and more it looks like he can hit. Things getting a bit exciting on the homefront, what with Crawford and Burress and now Twin reporting the developments with Hector Sanchez and Gary Brown. Not to worry about Sandoval coming around. This A-Ball business is a bit like an extended S.T. for him.

10. twinfan1 said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Something must have happened to Runzler. Started at Fresno, went 1 /2/3 scoreless,no hits, then was pulled.
    He did have 3 walks but that’s enough to pull him in the second.

11. snarkk said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Cody’s bat getting warm would be a real plussss…

12. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Caught up on some the earlier dust-ups here. AvidMaysFan1 is fine. I READ but did not hear or see Sabean’s comments. What’s the big deal? Sabean didn’t say, “All due respect, but Cousins better not show up at his no-show job.” (That’s what Paulie Walnuts or Christopher Moltisanti might say.) I don’t think Sabes was that far off; it was worth throwing it out there, and was not an embarrassment; it was emotional, being a papa bear for his players, as Bochy said. I’m ambivalent about a rule change because I’m not clear how it would work, but it’s worth an open debate. (Jayson Stark, I usually like you; but now? Calm down.)

13. stixwiz said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Now that’s showing a bit of instant respect. Crawford gets an IBB so Nicasio can pitch to Whitey.

Meanwhile in the Junior Circuit, Texas tromps Cleveland 11-2 as they put the bat to Masterson.

14. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:15 pm

WTF was Fowler playing NO Whitey so deep in the first place? That shit shoulda be routine…
    Vern and Vera’s only begotten son sitting at .176 and awaiting the Christ Nail…

• willied said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:21 pm

and he does trail J Sanchez for XBH this year, 4-3. Tho he does lead in rbis….2-1.

15. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Baseball is hard to predict. Mariners and Indians were supposed to be good LAST year. But, it IS early.

Tell me, what is the Z in ZOMG, which is now in the Oxford Dictionary?

16. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Cole Hamels pitches 1 hit ball but Pitt. beats Phil, 2-1 just after losing 2-1 to Nats. Awwwww.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Is Hamels on your fantasy team? I could use a SP. Name your price. Within reason of course.
      And please no malicious intent. Leave that to the Fish.

17. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:24 pm

If Helton can put up two more decent years, he’ll have a better than 50-50 shot at the Hall.

18. Bozo said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Sweet Loogy (or is that Ltogy?)

19. stixwiz said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Ol’ Horse put on a nice show tonight. When he is on even hard-hitting teams don’t get much.

20. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Looks like we have the FOX Saturday Game of the Week. 1:00 PDT left to our and the Rockies lonesome. Farmer John vs Jhoulys Chacin. That’s gonna interfere with my ponies tomorrow. I have a big handicapping tournament scheduled. No worries, I’ll just run over the guy blocking the betting window. Maliciously with intent, I might add.

21. Bozo said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Hell Yeah.

These guys just don’t know easy.

22. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Winner! How bout my Horse! I love Matt Cain. He’s been my favorite since the gitgo. Google “Del Mar Dennis Keep Matt Cain.” I’m just a shade under 100,000 hits.

Help me out now, Keep Matt Cain!

23. willied said, on June 3, 2011 at 9:56 pm

seems routine…rox come in here and score in the only inning when the big sticks do something, and never again. Sf gets the lead, SP and the pen never relinquish it. Don’t look now, but the pads have exactly one less W than rox and dodgers.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 3, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Willie, you mentioned the Pads, Rox and the Dodgers. They’re not our competition this year, it’s the Snakes! They won again tonight, blanked the Nats. If we’re gonna get a challenge this year, I say it’ll come from the Snakes.

24. Rough Trade said, on June 3, 2011 at 10:08 pm

G’s were 32-25 last yr as well.

Snakes behind Collmenter? who is now 4-1, 1.25 era.

25. Sierra Nevada said, on June 3, 2011 at 11:59 pm

It was interesting to see Burriss at 3rd base. If Burriss can play 3rd well enough to back up Sandoval, Tejada inches his closer to the door. I didn’t see the game, listened on the radio as usual. How did Burriss look in the field?

26. Unca Chuck said, on June 4, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Burriss by my count had 1 foul pop out and one ground ball out. Not too much work for him last night with Cain going . . .