A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Time to Step Up their Game, Off the Field……

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 5, 2011

I’ll be honest, I am pretty disappointed in Brian Sabean and Buster Posey– they have embarrassed themselves and the team. I don’t particularly have an issue with what they said, it’s that they said it at all….

When you are World Series Champions you are under a microscope for pretty much the entire following season. Earlier this year, I remember Huff, Wilson and others going to a hockey game in another city and they acted like it was amateur night–lots of pictures were taken of them basically looking like asses—you know, they way all ball players act when they aren’t playing baseball. But when you’re the WS champs, those photos get plastered all over the place by the national media…..

And now we have the exacta box of Sabean and Posey. Sabean ended up looking like a whiny pussy who was suggesting something bad would happen to Cousins in the future–again, maybe worded a little differently, I KNOW  that story doesn’t make the national news–how many times has a ballplayer/manager etc said “we’ll get that guy one day.”  They say it and do it all the  time. But when you’re the WS champion, you can’t say that stuff, especially as the GM, and expect it to just stay on the friendly airwaves of KNBR.

And then we have Posey releasing a statement that he did not need to  release. Inexplicably, he basically says the same thing he said before: I’m not talking to that dude. How does he come across? Pretty much the same way as Sabean….

I find all this just a bit ironic that a team owned by a lawyer who is obviously versed in how to release information to the public, would let the individuals in his organization run around so freely without the proper filter on. It’s minor league stuff. It’s bush league. It’s amateur hour. If they have a PR dept they need to expand their role and/or find some new guys to do the job. Get IN FRONT on what is being said to the public before it is said.

You’ve heard the saying “act like you’ve been there before.” Well, the last week was a great example of the Giants failing to do that……..

Can you imagine the pure GOLD that Showtime is getting if this is how they are acting in public? This could be the greatest documentary of all time…….

The Flap Fantasy Baseball Standings

(Berra’s Bombers continues their assault on 13th place but FH will have NONE of it!)

1. dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 5, 2011 at 8:35 am

I was really thinking this topic was beat to death yesterday.

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 5, 2011 at 8:42 am

Or was that Friday?

• willied said, on June 5, 2011 at 8:45 am

apparently the burial was premature, like some gothic horror story by Poe.

2. stixwiz said, on June 5, 2011 at 8:42 am

A couple consecutive games lacking in high drama and the commentariat turn to the soap operas.

3. willied said, on June 5, 2011 at 8:42 am

Manny has a rather curious stat line so far…since he has no XBH and no walks (huh?) as of yet, his slug and OB are exactly the same as BA, .302. Any projections on his OB that are more encouraging?
    Should be good pitching weather again out there today. 2-1 losses are always hard to take, but you have to be encouraged at how SF continues to hold down rox offense. One missed DP the only difference in the runs scored.
    Nats, the next team in, haven’t been exactly spanking the ball either.
    I’m interested to see what Nate does at home. Month of May he hit exactly .250, but overall is only at .245 at home and his OPS is over 100 points higher on the road. Vs. LHP he’s awful. Hey, 81 games are in your own yard, so he has to figure out a way to hit here consistently, esp. now.

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 5, 2011 at 8:52 am

I saw that Burriss stat too. Not exactly encouraging.

4. Macdog said, on June 5, 2011 at 8:45 am

While I don’t disagree with most of Sabean’s comments, some things are better left unsaid. I’d much prefer he spend his energy trying to get a major league catcher rather than waste even a minute of his time talking about some minor league punk.

5. xootsuit said, on June 5, 2011 at 8:57 am

The Giants are pissed off, Buster’s pissed off. Sabean and Buster showed it; they couldn’t stick to their scripts. I don’t think it’s that big a deal. Timmy’s “Fuck yeah!” response on live tv last year showed how little control Larry Baer et al. have over some of the players. Baer himself had to go on camera last year, after Lincecum’s “statement” and joke about it, by way of public apology. (Baer surely is the one who is supposed to handle this PR area.) So what if they’re a bit out of control? That’s the nature of this team.

6. TedSpe said, on June 5, 2011 at 9:05 am

——————————————————————————————
    Actually, I already felt that way when they decided to put the trophy on tour

7. dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 5, 2011 at 9:14 am

Nadal v Federer is on par with anything Agassi/Sampras that remember.

8. Flavor said, on June 5, 2011 at 9:42 am

dirt– I am not a tennis fan anymore but I agree, this is exciting….

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 5, 2011 at 9:44 am

Bloods v Crips for the French Open title.

9. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 5, 2011 at 9:57 am

Ishikawa just won the opener at Monmouth at 13-1. I hope Twin had him.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 5, 2011 at 10:12 am

Ishikawa: 29.60 15.60 and 4.40. He could only dream about putting up those numbers in Fresno.

10. twinfan1 said, on June 5, 2011 at 10:08 am

It was Bea’s dog, Loo-igi…
    For those bitching about the topic, youy could discuss baseball and our catching situation. Room B. Or you can bitch and contribute nothing…
    As far as the story being beat to death, it’s because it’s our beloved Pear-Butt. You should actually consider that a good thing because at least it created some debate on a serious topic. If it’s Whitey, the story dies the next day..

11. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 5, 2011 at 10:15 am

Not sure I agree. Shows passion, however misplaced or misdirected. Doesn’t matter. Must play the games on the field. [The foregoing is hereby nominated as Most Insipid, Vacuous, and Bland Post of the Year, MIVABPOTY.]

12. Flavor said, on June 5, 2011 at 10:17 am

The story keeps living because of all the players chiming in. Bench, Posey, Cousins and *LoMo* being the most recent to keep it going. As I said last night, Fuck Bench. I’m tired of all these guys coming out of the woodwork with their “when I played the game” bullshit. The game has changed. The world has changed. Rule changes, new laws, this shit goes down all the time. And it is time for a rule that protects catchers at the plate………

13. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 5, 2011 at 10:32 am

Torres CF, Tejada 3B, Sanchez 2B, Huff 1B, Schierholtz RF, Ross LF, Crawford SS, Whiteside C, Vogelsong P

Where’s Ishi?

• twinfan1 said, on June 5, 2011 at 11:07 am

Baggarly wondered the same thing. (Gillaspie made no sense unless Tejada was being released or Sandoval was going to catch). That last is mine, not my lesser colleague’s..

14. blade3colorado said, on June 5, 2011 at 10:49 am

Other media outlets pick up KNBR? Who knew?

15. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 5, 2011 at 10:56 am

Buster showed up in the clubhouse this morning. Hopefully that’ll give the guys a little spark.
    Let’s just hope he keeps his mouth shut.

• mrmrbill said, on June 5, 2011 at 11:28 am

… as has Panda — stay tuned.

• zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 12:57 pm

You’re weak.

• zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 12:58 pm

That was for Dennis.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I’m weak? If I give ya dollar, can you play your banjo tenor? Ten or fifteen miles away?

• zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Like I said- weak.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Zumie, I know you think that every word outta this organization’s mouth is gold, but just maybe, maybe the Giants erred on this one. This organization could shit on your head, tell you it’s a paper hat and you’d ask what time is the party.

• zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Wrong. I’ve criticized the Giants several times. I just don’t turn into a wet dishwrag all the time, like you do.

16. willied said, on June 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Ishi is always intriguing…great D (might have made a difference yesterday..hmmmn) liked him as LH PH off the bench. Worked last year.
    belt didn’t make much sense here, wasn’t getting any PT, behind rowand and burrell for the LF mix; plans seem to call for extended stay in fresno. No one else besides manny has played there, and sando isn’t a good option either for back up at 1b.
    WTFN?

17. zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Sorry, but I don’t see anything wrong with Posey’s statement. The reason he went public with it is because of the report of death threats against Cousins, if that’s even true.

• zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:01 pm

And Johnny Bench lost a lot of respect from me. Not that he cares.
      And guess who gained respect from me today- the A’s broadcasters. They ripped Johnny Bench for his statement. Fosse said Bench doesn’t know what he’s talking about in this particular situation.
      I will not criticize the A’s broadcasters the rest of the season.

18. zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Hey, a ballgame! That’s what we need. Play ball!

19. twinfan1 said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Yet Fosse didn’t have the balls to call for a rule protecting catchers. Neither did Matheny. Same reason- they don’t want to be considered pussies. But whatfuckingever, sentiment is almost universally with Cousins now.

• zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:26 pm

No one cares all that much about any other team’s injuries. No one here wept when the Rockies lost De La Rosa. Atlanta didn’t have Prado and Jones in the playoffs.

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I said soon after Buster’s injury that it depends on whose ox is gored, and unfortunately, ours got gored. If some random Astro smoked Ianetta at the plate at Coors and put him out for the year like Buster, no Giant fan, including Sabean, wouldv’e given a rat’s ptuutt, or put Joe Torre’s suggestion box on speed dial…

20. dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Birdsong is looking sharp early. Great movement on the breaking ball.

21. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:39 pm

We got warning track power. But I’m sure Zumie sees the positive aspect in our predicament.
    “We’re tiring out the Rockies outfielders by making them run long distances…”

• zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Feel free to panic. It’s what you do best.

22. Flavor said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I just can’t say enough about Voggy. He is our Dragon Warrior (sorry, I saw KFP2 yesterday). He made Barry Zito disappear. He’s fucking Houdini. I love him….

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I’m OK with Zito continuing to be the highest paid cheerleader in pro sports history…

• Flavor said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:58 pm

heard Lurie say today that they can keep him on rehab for up to 30 days…..

23. Flavor said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:52 pm

ellis burks……
    the ball is dead at ATT this weekend….

24. willied said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:52 pm

yeah ellis b..what a sweet swing, loved that high finish after a whack.

25. willied said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:56 pm

we all know what whitey does with the bat in his hands, but transition with the PS has been seamless so far.
    Kruk not happy with tulo on that one…throws up the line always dangerous.

26. Flavor said, on June 5, 2011 at 1:56 pm

looked to me like Tulo was just throwing out a safe sign, he did the same thing with the other arm. I didn’t see any intent there….

• twinfan1 said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Nobody does the safe sign that far from the bag.

• zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:24 pm

When I saw it again, I didn’t think it was as bad. I think he was trying to get his arm out of the way so that Huff would miss the tag on his body.

• twinfan1 said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I did too, looked like tulip *was* signallng safe.

27. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Tejada’s so bad that his actions indirectly hurt our other players. I wouldn’t want to be waiting with him at the bus stop. “Bus Stop” (1956) Marilyn never looked better.

One-pitch out for Tejada. At least it was quick and painless.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:11 pm

But he makes up for his one-pitch out by displaying great range at third.
      If I were a gentleman, I’d take the high road and stop ragging on the guy. Thankfully I’m a class-A asshole who has NO Whitey objections to ripping him a new one.

Hey, he started a 5-4-3 around the horn job. Give ’em an extension.

Shit. That non called third really came back to bite us. I’d have to go look it up, but it just seems like Sundays have really sucked so far this year. Maybe it is has to do with all of my blasphemous comments…

28. Flavor said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:01 pm

allright, Town Picnic time, catch you guys on the flip side…..

29. Bozo said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Hey DMD, can you believe this guy Hammel is tossing a no hitter? I don’t think this guy has allowed a hit OR a run. Dang man, I just can’t believe it. A NO FUCKING HITTER, wow. NO RUNS, NO HITS. Unfuckingbelievable.

• TedSpe said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Are you for real? A no hitter? Seriously?

• mrmrbill said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:24 pm

“This is not even close to the way I envisioned a no-hitter would be.”

— Andy Hawkins, after pitching a no-hitter for the Yankees in 1990. Lost the game 4-0 after his team committed three errors in the eighth.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Bozo, it’s unreal. How the hell does this guy still have a NO Whitey hitter? NO fucking hits? NO fucking way.

30. snarkk said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Tejada on D is a damn crapshoot, at best. He circles every grounder and tries to smother them, not pick aggresively and on balance. He has trouble getting down low enough and to stretch out for low bounces. The only thing left is his arm strength, but it’s erratic, helped Huff to almost get his nose broken…

31. twinfan1 said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:18 pm

From Z:
    “On Twitter, Johnny Bench just said that it was Huff’s fault, not Tulo’s.”

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:23 pm

According to you, if Tulo elbowed Huff intentionally, the Giants will throw at Tulo. So let the Giants decide…

• twinfan1 said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Howzzat, Snarkklefuck? Different situations entirely.

32. Bozo said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I’m serious you guys, a no fucking hitter. Can you believe this guy Hammel is tossing a no hitter? I don’t think this guy has allowed a hit OR a run. Dang man, I just can’t believe it. A NO FUCKING HITTER, wow. NO RUNS, NO HITS. Unfuckingbelievable. Can you believe it?

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Vogelsong needs to hit an HR himself if he wants some runs…

• Bozo said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Or maybe a walk and two hits, eh Snarkk?

• twinfan1 said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I missed it, Vogelsong hit a HR, snarkklefuck?

33. stixwiz said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:36 pm

This team doesn’t seem to can hit shit at home. I mean, Hammel going no-no this far into the game. He’s a plus-mediocre pitcher. His accomplishment to this point is beyond his fondest dreams. His normal stats mean he’s delighted no end if he gives up no more than 11 runs per 27 innings.

34. zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Good 2-out stuff.

35. dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Way to go Sanchez! Time to pile on.

36. Macdog said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Goodbye no-no, goodbye shutout!

37. stixwiz said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Guess i had to take a break from 82 degrees F. gardening work, come into the house, tune into Yahoo coverage and add my comments to the “no-no” parade. Man, this team is slow at getting warmed up. Must be the weather.

38. unca chuck said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Cool. Turned on the game just in time to see:

a) Torrez walk
    b) Tejada break up a no-no
    c) Fred-die-Fred-die-Fred-die tie the score.

39. snarkk said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Franchez, very clutch. Best Tejada AB in a while, wonder if they gave him the take sign for the first coupla pitches…

• Macdog said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:46 pm

No wonder Iannetta went out to talk to Hammel at 3-0, they must’ve been shocked Tejada didn’t swing at any of those pitches.

40. unca chuck said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Vogie is comeback POY hands down. If they were voting now.

Unreal stuff from him so far. TGime to score 3 . . .

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Yeah, I’m diggin Vogelsong big time. 7 innings, 1 run on a dinger. The guy is a pitcher. Good, solid, not great stuff, locating well, smart pitching. They should not allow Zito to get near the ATT mound this year…

• zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Zito will have to be a bullpen guy.

• zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I questioned that when Stix raised it also. I don’t see how Vogel can win comeback of the year award. What previous accomplishment is he coming back to?

• twinfan1 said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:57 pm

When you haven’t pitched in the bigs in 5 years, I still think it qualifies. Just getting back at all.

• zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:59 pm

It would be great if he won it. Hopefully his story is starting to get more national attention.

• unca chuck said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Well, he was a promising young pitcher until the TJ surgery caused him to miss 2 years, and fight his way back to the majors after struggling with Pittsburgh, and getting his shit together in Japan.

• mrmrbill said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I keep thinking he’s gonna “Wellemeyer” on any next outing, but instead he just keeps delivering. woot

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:57 pm

How about the coveted BPPIJ award?
      Best player previously in Japan…

41. stixwiz said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:50 pm

That Little Birdie sure pipes out some sweet tunes. Imagine where the Giants would be in the race right now if Zito had not dinged his ankle. Methinks that if he gets pounded even once while pitching to minor leaguers, Z. is gonna have an ankle relapse that will put him down for the season.

42. unca chuck said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Regarding the thread topic, the Giants should just shut up. Which it appears they finally have. Let it go.

No one really gives a shit anyway. Cousins will be but a small footnote in the history of the game. MLB ain’t going to do anything anyway. As usual, they will wait until something even worse happens.

• zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I agree. And also the maple bats are a big tragedy waiting to happen.

• unca chuck said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Yup . . . I’m amazed a fan hasn’t been maimed yet.

• snarkk said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I think something really bad with the bats is more likely. These bats are shattering on a daily basis. The players can move quickly out of the way, they have a shot at avoiding. I’m more afraid for the fans — afraid some kid or senior sitting along the lines is going to get a bat shard in the neck or something. They really have to work on fixing that. MLB is afraid to ban ’em, those maple things help increase the offense…

43. Bozo said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:57 pm

That, was a sweet pitch.

44. Bozo said, on June 5, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Good job Ryan.

45. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I’m feeling a Burrell PH homer coming up…

And I’m tipping *my* cap for Ryan Vogelsong. Impressive. Again.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm

“Would you believe a PH walk and a couple of girl scouts selling mint cookies?”

46. unca chuck said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Didn’t know the Angels and the Phillies both had Vogie for a look the last 1.5 years.

47. Macdog said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:00 pm

8 great innings by Vogey. Time to get him a run and a W.

48. zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Alrighty. Let’s get a rally going.

49. unca chuck said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:02 pm

One time Burrell . . .

50. unca chuck said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:03 pm

He ain’t up there to walk, but I’ll take it . . .

51. unca chuck said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Andres!!!

55. Macdog said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Andres!!!

56. unca chuck said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Beautiful AB there. . .

57. unca chuck said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Come one Miggy. One lasy HR in that bat . . .

58. Bozo said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Torres – sweet.

59. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I know he doesn’t get paid to walk, but that free pass from Burrell surely paid off…

60. Bozo said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Oops.

61. unca chuck said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Oh shit . . .

2x Andres . . .

62. unca chuck said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Wow . . . ground rule double almost.

63. zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Alright, Wilson. No drama….no drama….no drama….

64. unca chuck said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm

OK, B-weez. How about 3 the easy way?

65. snarkk said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I’d let Vogelsong finish it…

66. Macdog said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Heart of the order coming up. This oughta be fun.

67. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:17 pm

OK. Gomez has been SHIT on the base paths recently. WTF? Increase your dosage.
    Did you know that horses with a dosage over 4 are not supposed to win the Derby?
    Tell that to Strike the Gold.

• unca chuck said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Don’t know how you can even type with all that shit in yer blood, Dennis.

68. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Ballgame!

1-2-heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

69. Macdog said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Vic-to-ree!

70. TedSpe said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Vogelsong/Wilson

71. Bozo said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:20 pm

That was fucking fun. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAA

72. zumarust said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Giants baseball. That’s how we do it.

73. unca chuck said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Wow!!! Fucking epic eeeker of a win there . . .

Criminy. I’m almost getting used to these fricking heart attack games.

74. snarkk said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Wilson’s slider had about as much down action on it as I’ve seen him have.
    Looked positively Nenish. A new technique? Whatever, I’d like to see more of that. 2 of 3 from the Rocks is just fine…

75. snarkk said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Show of hands.
    How many want Zito back?
    I said hands, not middle fingers….

• TedSpe said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:24 pm

And pull your pant back up

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:27 pm

My grandma made me pull my pants back up once…once!

• TedSpe said, on June 5, 2011 at 3:34 pm