A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

What the Talk Show Guys Want to See

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 12, 2011

In order of who I listen to on KNBR (in order of frequency), it probably goes Razor and Mr T, Murph and Idiot, Marty Lurie and Byrnsie. I almost never listen to Radnitch or Bob and his side kick. Mostly my KNBR time is dictated by when I’m driving around so that’s why I don’t hear the mid day guys too much. Anyway, of the shows I listen to here’s a list of the players the callers seem to want to acquire the most:

1) Reyes. This seems to be a constant. The callers don’t seem to realize that he’s not a run producer, he’s a run scorer. Having Reyes die at 2nd base 3 times a game ain’t gonna cut it….

2) Carlos Beltran–this is really more of a Lurie dream but his callers don’t seem to argue with him. I agree Beltran is having a good season but he CANNOT stay healthy. Risky rental…….

3) Jorge Freaking Posada. As I posted yesterday, this one might be my favorite (since half the reason I listen to callers in to shake my head horizontally and do my best Johnny McEnroe “You have got to be KIDDING me!”). I watch a lot of Yankee games and maybe some of these guys actually have to see Posada’s swing to see how done he is. He’s had a decent June but it’s all a mirage. He’ll be back into the .100’s before the 4th of July. Acquiring Posada is always linked to trading the Yanks Zito and again I don’t understand why callers think the Yankees would want Zito. The prevailing argument always seems to be “they don’t care about money”. Yeah, that’s a reason to acquire him, dumbasses…..

4) Pudge Rodriguez. Everyone seems to want him for his leadership and experience–how he manages the game, all that jazz. Hey, I’m ok with that, anyone but El Presidente who is embarrassing himself right now. The pitchers HAVE to be getting worn down by this guy’s play behind the dish…….

There are others, but those are the main 4. It’s the same story as last year (and the year before that and the year before that and….). Everyone says we are “1 big bat in the middle of the line up” away from a good offense. I’m not sure if that’s true. First of all, you have to be careful about how big that bat is. If the Giants traded the moon for Pujols, how many strikes do you think he’d see? This team will always be built around a bunch of guys who just manage to do enough—a revolving door of players who step up with that big hit in the last couple of innings. However, if we don’t get the catcher situation figured out our pitchers are probably going to start giving up a lot more runs that we are used to seeing. Then, the “timely hit near the end of the game” won’t matter much if we are down 6-1 in the 8th………

I’m not that worried about Franchez going down. Panda and Posey were infinitely more critical. Freddy has gotten some big hits this year and he’s played good defense but he plays a position that isn’t usually super productive for the offense (unless your name is Cano) and seems to spend most of his waking moments dreaming about and trying to go to right field (or bunt a guy over when he should be swinging the bat)…..

So, of all those guys listed, if I had to choose one, I’d probably go with Pudge just to try to keep the pitching staff from falling apart. Right now, our realistic hope should be getting back a healthy Panda and getting Huff and Ross to start hitting again………

The Flap Fantasy Baseball Standings

(The top guys take a step back, the middle guys make a move and BB’s jumps 3.5 monster points as he continues his quest to pass Irish Giants)

1. willieD said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:06 am

I don’t buy the “too much pressure on the pitchers” argument at all. Your job when the mgr hands you the ball is simple: be better than the other guy. If your team gets you some runs, hold the other team to less; if not, keep them in check until your guys get on the board. there is no extra pressure above and beyond that. Just pitch and do your job.
    ATT is known as a pitchers park, where balls that would be HRs elsewhere go to die, or line drives off the wall in RF turn into singles that might leave another yard altogether. Add 9 games in SD to the 81 played here, there are a lot worse places to play….not to mention all the nights of “pitcher’s weather” during the summer.
    Lincecum’s struggles again point out the obvious: you cannot trade an SP (any of them) for a bat (any of them). Bringing a lesser talent into the rotation weakens your club and takes away from your strength and advantage over every other team in baseball. And the idea that any combo of wheeler, nate, burriss, etc is going to get the type of player that will add a difference maker to the middle of the order is ludicruous. Where have I heard this argument before? for all the O of the philies and texas, they went down last year in the face of good pitching. boston and the yanks never even got that far.
    Pudge? sure, he might help the SPs with vet presence and game calling and would be a defensive upgrade, but does SF really need another guy to hit 8th? Seems like we have plenty of guys vying for that spot right now.

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:17 am

I agree that The Giants have to maintain their dominant pitching to stay competitive (especially this year) but the club has to get more balanced as they near contract explosions for Lincecum, Cain and Sanchez. They’ve still got some time with Bumgarner and of course are stuck with Zito. I thought the time to move Sanchez was last off season; he had a good year and the WS shine covers up some flaws. He’s tough to move now as he heads to arbitration years(s) but a contending club will over pay for him.

2. dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:10 am

With Colon going down last night the yankees even more desperate for pitching. I don’t know about the yankees system but don’t they have a good offensive catcher in their system that they’ve been wanting to promote? Forget Posada. Maybe something can be hashed out for for R. Martin.

• eddacker said, on June 12, 2011 at 12:27 pm

You must admit Colon is the most unlikely looking ml sp. If you saw him in a Safeway you’d never guess.
      Looks like it is minor, though, he shouldn’t miss a start.

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 12, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I’ll admit it. That fat man can pitch.

3. Flavor said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:27 am

I think Martin’s back is fucked up. Plus, Sabean hates him. I really don’t care who the catcher is as long as it’s a guy who is a legit mlb catcher who can throw runners out and can get a hit now and again………

4. TedSpe said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:37 am

Interesting Flav, I only listen to KNBR when I drive as well. You’re right about the players you named above as apparently the fan’s favorites. I happened to be driving last night during the Marty Lurie show and listened as he very politely explained to a caller why signing Posada wouldn’t work. He ended with “Posada brings nothing….to the Giants” Lurie’s always polite

5. dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:38 am

If Molina is still sitting at home he may be the route they end up going by default. It’s not like the other options out there are great and at least he knows the staff and organization. Sabean is probably still holding some sort of grudge he can’t let go of. Probably the only thing that really doesn’t make sense to me about Sabean is the whole mafioso front. Must be from the east coast, yankee org upbringing or something.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 9:26 am

“This thing of ours” translates into, “we continue to start a catcher who smokes more pole than John Gotti Jr.”

6. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 9:36 am

X-rays didn’t reveal a fracture on Aaron Rowand’s wrist.
    I’ll let you be the judge on whether if that’s good news or not.

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2011 at 9:55 am

Another pathetic remark from Birthin’ Denny. It’s good news, Sarah.

7. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2011 at 9:53 am

El Flavoro said:

“Timmy gets slack because he’s a 2 time CY stud who helped us win a WS”
    So did others who you trash reguarly. Some, like Wilson, have been trashed even if they’re doing their jobs. It’s hypoctical nonsense to give a pass to exatly one fucking guy.Tim is their worst starter now, he’s sucking.. I don’t give a shit if you give him slack or not and it’s none of your fucking business if I do.
    I have to leave today for the Anderson Valley.Just dial-up there, not even worth going on lne.
    A few tings to pay attention to:
    Crawford is not a lock to stay..
    As I posted before the LUs posted yesterday- it’s dire enough that Burrell needs starts again. But it should be Pat/Torres/Ross. Pat should get a week or so to produce. Room B MVP Nate goes back to his role.
    As bad as Whitey has been, Tim should not demonstrate his displeasure ( on a WP that ELI shauld have had) . All the writers caught it so don’t put that observation just on me.Timmy has done the “why me” routine before after an error.
    Stewart is better than Whitey. Let him catch until they do something.
    Hall is getting raves already….for drawing a walk.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 10:09 am

“Crawford is not a lock to stay?” What, we’re gonna put Tejada back at SS when Pablo returns?

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2011 at 10:22 am

. Possible. Decision probably wouldn’t come until Font was ready. It’s Gillaspie who goes down for Panda, though.

8. twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2011 at 9:59 am

I see that the real MVPs were last and next to last.

9. Macdog said, on June 12, 2011 at 10:14 am

There’s some good ones from Yanks fans on NYC sports radio too, like Posada for Bumgarner and/or Cain.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 10:20 am

Posada for Bumgarner and/or Cain? Any chance that call came from Loo in Brooklyn?

• twinfan1 said, on June 12, 2011 at 10:24 am

Couldn’t be from Loo. Yanks don’t get enough.

10. xootsuit said, on June 12, 2011 at 10:48 am

I followed the game yesterday via mlb graphics on my phone. Many of the people around me had Giants hats on, and none of them seemed to be aware that a Giants game was in progress. Still amazes me to see the cosmic scope of the bandwagon effect, in action. Anyway, I knew about the “wild pitch,” but not the reaction. If LIncecum’s openly trying to blame his current shittiness on other players, even in part, then bring on the criticism of that bullshit. But I’m sure Rags and Bochy are all over it, too. Last year it seemed to take a while for Lincecum to accept the fact that his shittiness was the problem. Maybe he’s not as fucked up this year as he was last August. That’s the party line, so far. Still, he has work to do, and getting pissed off at his teammates willl do nothing but impede him. Didn’t some famous coach say you won’t be punished for your anger, you’ll get punished by it? Same coach probably said you have to own up to your own shittiness before you can get rid of it.

11. stixwiz said, on June 12, 2011 at 11:06 am

Timmy’s on notice with himself right about now. His personal pride will be coming into the equation. No doubt both Daddy and the entire Giants coaching apparatus have been viewing and reviewing videos and collecting anecdotes. Yesterday’s game may well have been rock bottom if the problems are either mental, mechanical, or both. Just so long as nobody else in the rotation catches the virus. Sooner or later Lincecum will break out of it.

Sounds like the broadcast commentators are idiots who would be quickly remanded to the custody of Room B on this site. High-profile has-beens are not the answer to the current catcher dilemma. There has to be a generally overlooked receiver on some random team who would be a marked improvement over Whitey. There is no big-name solution. Answer may even be marking time in AAA.

12. Rough Trade said, on June 12, 2011 at 11:47 am

Nice fantasy Stix but It’s hard to imagine there’s a bright catching prospect overlooked by anyone that the G’s can steal away. Also hard to imagine them getting someones solid backup without paying too much. First of all there are so few out there, secondly, everyone knows the G’s are desperate. It’s tough to watch, but I still don’t see them doing anything until closer to the deadline, unless things just completely go south with Whiteside and Stewart. Pudge should remain a last resort.

13. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on June 12, 2011 at 12:08 pm

This may be nothing, or may portend some near future “positional creativity” — Schulman: “Panda is playing first base in what is hoped to be his final Fresno game.”

14. zumarust said, on June 12, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Not sure what to make of Zito’s performance yesterday vs. the Modesto Nuts. 2 earned runs in 7 innings is an acceptable outing against a Single A club, I guess. But one of the runs was a homerun. That’s a red flag. Thurman Field is a cavern of a ballpark for a Single A team. You rarely see homeruns at that ballpark. Same old Zito, in other words.

• Rough Trade said, on June 12, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Wind must have been blowing out in LF as Peguero and Joseph also went deep for SJ.

• zumarust said, on June 12, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Wow, that’s impressive. It’s 393 in left-centerfield at that ballpark, 400 to centerfield. And the ballpark is across the street from the Tuolumne River, which makes the air a little damper in that area. Right-centerfield is 370.

15. snarkk said, on June 12, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I for one, AM concerned about Franchez going down. Not just if he’s out for this season, but for next if he has surgery now. I already questioned the intelligence of extending him to next year so early due to his fragility — this injury may prove the folly of that early extension and at that price. Hopefully he recovers and can throw normally. Anyway, they have nobody at the moment that offers near the combined tools he has. Excellent coverage in the field, (though not a great arm even before the injury), veteran leadership, highest BA on the squad, and pretty damn clutch. Plus, one of the few positions Bochy didn’t putz with every day on the lineup card. Who takes over for that — Burriss, or now Hall off the scrap heap? Burriss can field, but is nowhere near the overall player. And, unless Hall turns into this year’s Burrell renaissance player, Franchez down is is a big loss…

• zumarust said, on June 12, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Well, it appears with Freddy you can’t have one without the other. A really good player, who has injury issues. The Giants are willing to put up with one to get the other. It worked out well in the long run last year. Maybe Freddy gets back this season and helps them in the playoff run.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Zumi, always the eternal optimist. The eruption of Mt. St. Fruckie’s injury wasn’t all that bad. The hot molten lava that we’ll lose from that volcano will provide some dirt for his wife’s (who’s a Braves fan, btw) next mud bath. Keep smiling 😀

16. Rough Trade said, on June 12, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Pablo with another jack, this one also right handed. Apparently the pain is only felt hitting from the left side.

Obviously Beltran would fit very nicely in the 3 spot.

Freddy was sort of an inspirational guy along with Andres. They both played the game with a lot of energy, which was sorely lacking yesterday.

• Rough Trade said, on June 12, 2011 at 1:29 pm

er,didn’t mean for that to sound like a eulogy. change that to *is* and *play*..

17. dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 12, 2011 at 1:29 pm

O Cabrera lost his starting spot in Cleveland. He would be a good solution for SS or 2nd. Crawford is coming back to earth at the plate. Great D or not I think he’ll be headed back to the farm.

• willieD said, on June 12, 2011 at 3:00 pm

this guy has enough talent to have lasted a long time in mlb., but…I have never heard what the explanation is, but NO team this guy has ever played for wants him back. Teams sign the guy, dump him, trade for a replacement whom they then dump, but are not interested in round 2 of OC nor in re-signing the guy. Hmmmmn….what could it be?

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 12, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Herpes?

18. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on June 12, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Almost the ’27 Yankees:
    Torres CF
    Tejada 3B
    Schierholtz RF
    Huff 1B
    Ross LF
    Crawford SS
    Burriss 2B
    Stewart C
    Sanchez P

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 3:43 pm

When Nate Shitholtz is batting third, I don’t even have to look at the line — I’ll take the UNDER.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Seriously? WTF is Tejada batting 2nd and Burriss 7th? And spare me the “Tejada’s been hot for the last week bullshit.” It makes NO Whitey sense..

19. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on June 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Maybe he should tweak his drive to get more delivery. Schulman: “Zito has tweaked his delivery to get more drive. Bid to increase arm speed, designed to throw harder with better breaking balls.”

• snarkk said, on June 12, 2011 at 2:53 pm

After two months in cold storage and extended spring training, I would think he could do better than “tweak”…

20. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 3:37 pm

“Bochy acknowledged Whiteside is adjusting to the pounding of the everyday role, so he’s resting him today to get him a 48-hour break.”

That’s mighty NO Whitey of him.

21. Big flavor said, on June 12, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Dusty’s been gone nearly a decade. Goddamn time flies. espn did a great job with that intro.

22. Big flavor said, on June 12, 2011 at 5:13 pm

The light at this time of day looks makes AT&T look like candlestick..

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 5:16 pm

The light of this time of day made my candle look like a stick once…once!

23. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Two!

Let’s score some runs for Dirrrty.

24. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I see Gomez has graduated from the “Freddie Lew Base Stealing Academy…”

25. Flavor said, on June 12, 2011 at 5:37 pm

that was a bullshit call on Torres, Phillips absolutely pushed his wrist off the base…..

26. zumarust said, on June 12, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Alright- something to cheer about!

27. snarkk said, on June 12, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Kruk is funny.
    Of Brandon Crawford during his AB:
    “I don’t think there’s any better shortstop in the NL West”.
    Uh, maybe Tulo is just a little better…

28. Big flavor said, on June 12, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I like kruk, especially when the team is winning. But sometimes he says shit that comes out and you wonder if he’s even listening to the words that are coming out of his mouth….

29. Big flavor said, on June 12, 2011 at 6:49 pm

That throw looked like one of those “moon” throws you see in little league but it got the job done. Heads up by ross

• willieD said, on June 12, 2011 at 6:52 pm

and the second stupid one by volquez…what an airhead. Teammates must love this guy.

30. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Very nice catch and throw by the clown out there in LF. That’s why pitcher’s pitch, and not run.

31. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 6:53 pm

We don’t need NO Whitey!

32. willieD said, on June 12, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Stewart just won himself another week’s worth of starts, I hope.

33. Big flavor said, on June 12, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Solid ab from dirrrrrty there

34. willieD said, on June 12, 2011 at 7:18 pm

that’s a rbi, but I was just thinking be patient, this guy is struggling with the zone, he gets behind you’ll get something to hit. Instead he swings at pitch in the dirt.

35. willieD said, on June 12, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Wow. Heat are down 10, 7 minutes to go in the 4th….Can you imagine Stern having to hand the fucking trophy to Cuban?

• zumarust said, on June 12, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Stern will have to close his eyes and think of England.

36. zumarust said, on June 12, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Rowand walked. You don’t see that every day.

• zumarust said, on June 12, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Oops- I dozed off and thought Stewart was Rowand.

37. Rough Trade said, on June 12, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Nate again. Even against the lefty, think you’d rather see Nate up there than anyone else

38. zumarust said, on June 12, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Nice rally!

39. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Gomez scores! And just think, we started Rowand in is place the other day. “Blockhead is perfect.” Just ask Lucy Van Pelt.

40. paulinasia said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Gomez…. Nigga…. sheesh….

41. zumarust said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Votto got LOOGIED!

42. zumarust said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Bruce got LOOGIED!

43. Rough Trade said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Key was Ramirez getting Phillips in the 7th to set up the 8th for Lopez.

44. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:07 pm

I love our goddamn bullpen, and our LOOGY in particular. He’s so much much money and he doesn’t even know it.
    So says Vince Vaughn.

45. willieD said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I love insurance runs…another one would be nice.

46. zumarust said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:19 pm

The ESPN broadcast crew is giving the Giants a lot of praise. Cool to hear it.

47. zumarust said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Alright, Wilson…..no drama, no drama, no drama, no drama…..(grin)

48. willieD said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:23 pm

that was actually pretty cool of espn to delay cutting to the commercial to show wilson’s entry and the fans..,
    overall, lotta love for SF from the crew…hope the east coast types who dismiss Giants as utter fluke got a whiff of tonite.
    Yes, it IS a team game.

49. Big flavor said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Gomez is going into the banned list in about 10 min so get it out of your system now cause it’s headed to my spam box after that

• paulinasia said, on June 12, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Thanks, Craig, so annoying….

50. willieD said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:28 pm

holy shit, I thought rent had a sure hit up the middle…what a play from burriss.

51. DJLoo said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:30 pm

How annoying and unnecessary is that stupid-ass box that they super impose over the catcher?

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2011 at 9:11 pm

it’s quite distracting, I agree……

• Flavor said, on June 12, 2011 at 9:11 pm

less annoying than a shot of a baby, more annoying than a shot of someone eating food……..

• Macdog said, on June 12, 2011 at 9:50 pm

There was so much that was annoying throughout ESPN’s telecast: bizarre camera angles when the ball was in play, missed pitches, Valentine/Hershiser. But yeah, that idiotic box was right up there.

52. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Bearded ballgame!

53. Rough Trade said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Nice rebound from yesterday’s disaster.

54. Flavor said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Ballgame. Note to you guys: I’m done with the *Gomez* stuff. It wasn’t even funny to me at the time since I didn’t really understand where it originated from and now I just don’t like the flavor or it anymore—it doesn’t sound like a joke but maybe that’s just me. Anyway, cut it or it goes to my spam filter with all of HAWK’s drivel…….

55. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Our team won another game that they probably shouldn’t have. Check that. Our team is pretty goddamn good.

56. stixwiz said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Battered and bruised but not beaten down broken, the Giants pull another one outta the hat. After losing Freddy on top of Posey being out for the year and the long hiatus for Panda; the team somehow manages to eke out victories. Their perseverance is almost incredible. Imagine the situation: Lowest scoring team in the league, but hanging onto first place despite a raft of injuries which would sink most squads.

It’s the pitching, stoopid. Defense has been critical too. And just enough hitting just often enough to keep them in the running. The starters are excellent, even if Timmy is having an August in June. The bullpen is golden. Drrrrrty didn’t get the win tonight, even though he pitched well enough to deserve it. Ramirez deserved a W. and got it. And the .38 Special drama queen did not let it get too dramatic tonight. After all its Sunday night on national coverage and he has plans for the evening.

Will be nice to have Panda back for the Arizona series. Snakes have been sizzling lately. Their first taste of Giants pitching will be Matt the Horse, fresh off a C.G. win over Washington. Despite losing Franchez the Giants did not let the fact prevent them from getting the split vs a hard-hitting team. Good job.

57. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 12, 2011 at 8:52 pm

As per Baggs, Conor sent down for Pablo’s activation.

58. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on June 12, 2011 at 10:31 pm

FSanchez injury update, per Schulman: “F. Sanchez MRI confirms dislocation. Has chosen conservative approach to let labrum, capsule heal. No surgery for now. If he does need surgery, his season is over.”

59. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on June 12, 2011 at 11:21 pm

(a bit) More from CSN: “An MRI confirmed that Giants second baseman Freddy Sanchez had a dislocated shoulder, which includes a damaged labrum and a stretched capsule. Sanchez will visit a doctor in Arizona to get a second opinion and the Giants plan to wait a couple weeks before determining whether surgery is necessary, but if it is, Sanchez would miss the rest of the season.”