A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Welcome Back PANDA + Second Base Thoughts + All Things Molina

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 13, 2011

Considering how he ended last year it’s amazing how excited we all are to get the Panda back. The obvious concern is that he comes back trying to do too much for an impotent offense and he swings at every pitch thrown to him but I guess that’s hardly a new approach for him. I haven’t seen him recently, at least not a full body shot, but I am assuming he kept up with his conditioning program while he was on the DL…….

One of the ESPN guys (I think it was Bobby V) thinks that Tejada is going to slide over to 2nd base now that the Panda is back and Crawford doesn’t seem to be going anywhere at SS. Please say that isn’t being considered. Tejada can play ONE infield position decently right now: third base. How in the hell is he supposed to just “slide over to 2nd base”, play a position he’s never played before and be expected to meet even low expectations? I like the plan of starting Burriss most games at 2nd base. Last night we saw what he can do defensively if he’s allowed to play his natural position. His bat is obviously a concern but so is Tejada’s. I’d rather go with lockdown defense up the middle and just hope that Crawford/Burriss hit enough to be “one of the guys”…..Bill Hall? He’s probably going to get a few games at 2nd. I guess he needs to prove he sucks first before they ditch that plan. We’ll see……

I wonder what Sabean is realistically considering for the catcher position. He can’t actually believe there is any combination of El Presidente and *Vice-Presidente* that would result in anything useful. I have a secret hope that Benjie has been getting back in shape since Posey went down. We know the pitchers love to throw to the guy. And he wouldn’t come off the shelf and bat clean up so the expectations of his bat can be lowered to realistic levels. I dunno, I just like the idea of Molina coming back. It could be a great story. And who doesn’t love all things Molina?

The Flap Fantasy Baseball League Standings

(I would not want to be Dirt Bags this morning. He’s coming for you, dude)

1. xootsuit said, on June 13, 2011 at 7:06 am

Tejada and Hall are “done,” but Benji might make a comeback? I think I’d reverse the emphasis on that optimism. I agree on the Tejada as 2B idea, however. What’s the point — give the guy an even more difficult adjustment to make, see how badly he does? Burriss and Hall should be able to divide time there just fiine (2/3 – 1/3). Tejada can take the same role as Hall, only on the left side of the IF — now that Pablo is back. (Nice to able to write that one down.)

Some of you may have heard discussion on KNBR about the suspicious “sell outs” recently. The crowds obviously have been great, but some remote sections seemed pretty thinly populated, according to the KNBR pundits. In fact, the Giants are straining to keep the sell-out string alive. I bet it’s possible to get some good deals on tickets right now. I’m not sure who you would call to get the last-minute fire-sale deals, but they’re there.

• Nipper said, on June 13, 2011 at 9:51 am

That empty section are poor seats for only the dumbest fans. That upper deck section sucks big time.

• xootsuit said, on June 13, 2011 at 10:41 am

I don’t think it’s only the bad seats that are going for cut-rate prices just before gameday.

2. Rough Trade said, on June 13, 2011 at 7:22 am

Trolling mlbtraderumors I see Pittsburgh, who lost both Snyder and Doumit, was able to land a catcher, albeit a AAA guy from the Red Sox. He’s 26yr old Mike McKenry, hitting .268 w/ 13 hrs.

Goes on to say “Manager Clint Hurdle recently admitted that the club was having a hard time acquiring a catcher as clubs were looking to take advantage of their situation.”

• Rough Trade said, on June 13, 2011 at 7:28 am

They got that wrong. He’s hit 3 hr’s this yr (10 last yr).

3. Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 7:59 am

Speaking of done, Burrell (HR on Sat notwithstanding) is doner than done. Overdone. Undone. Redone. Toast. Finis. Finito. Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow.

His AB yesterday was sad. 6 pitches, no swings.

Bobby V has no clue. Tejada at 2nd? Not likely, but he has been on a mini-tear lately. Hitting is paramount, so it is possible.

Hall? No idea. Maybe he wakes up here?

4. willieD said, on June 13, 2011 at 8:05 am

Burriss is 1-17 since his big game vs. rox, still no XBH, none. HIs OB is right down there with Tejada at .263. Tejada had a pretty good homestand, 10 hits, and what, 4 doubles vs. the reds. Nothing wrong with a start or two at 2b, esp if he continues to hit some…you canalways start him there and relieve him for burriss as the pr/def replacement at 2b. Manny’s d everywhere else is shaky, and he has to show more at the plate to be a consistent starter. Hall sucks, but bochy likes options. Whatever. remember too, crawford is 0 for his last 12 and the avg is at .208. Might need a day off or two to take a deep breath.
    For as much grief as Molina got here last couple years, when healthy as possible, I cannot imagine why anyone wants him back after he has sat at home since last october, 8 months ago, at his age. If it’s a joke, it’s not funny…let him bask and enjoy his ring in peace, with the knowledge he was a part of both teams that got to the World Series. And otherwise, cue the Mac quote from a couple days ago.
    As I said before, the Giants already have quite a number of guys to hit 8th and do not much with the bat….it’s the last thing they need.

5. Rough Trade said, on June 13, 2011 at 8:27 am

They will also be playing Pablo some at 1b. Maybe even (gulp) at catcher. Seems really insane idea a few months back, but now given their situation?

It would be a shame if Crawford is demoted. As long as his defense is there, I say let him take his hacks up here.

6. snarkk said, on June 13, 2011 at 8:32 am

Bengielena back? Not happenin’. Bengie probably hasn’t worked out since the end of the WS. He’s probably wearing a 48FF by now. You think El Presidente’s D isn’t too hot? Imagine the Fridge trying to block a Dirrty slider outside in the dirt with a guy on third. Besides, Bengielena and Sabes had a bad split — they’re not getting back together just for the sake of the kids…

• Nipper said, on June 13, 2011 at 9:55 am

How snarky!

7. DJLoo said, on June 13, 2011 at 8:35 am

Sabean will try the scrap heap route first, but if he’s serious about repeating it’s gonna cost some combination of money, prospects and bullpen depth to get the help they badly need. None of the SP will be part of any deal. Casilla and Runzler
    have some value, and could be expendable.

8. willieD said, on June 13, 2011 at 8:45 am

by the time he left last year, I was more than ready to be done with benjie, with the constant sniping btw he and sabean, a downgrade in his defense, and not much hitting. He was unwilling to face being a part time player, tho unwanted as an FA by other teams in the off season prior to 2010. The sniping continued even after the world series was over, benjie claiming sabean never told him this and that, yadda yadda. He finished strong, proving other GMs wrong maybe, and got to the World Series. Here’s your ring, thanks and enjoy.
    But the story has to be over and done with. I don’t get “all things molina”, anymore than that stupid espn loudmouth who used to bug Orestes Destrade with “Name that Molina” BS during highlights. Too many other good things going on right now with the team in first place to revisit and reopen old wounds. Are we considering garko for 1b again?

9. eddacker said, on June 13, 2011 at 9:29 am

off day for the Gs gonna be a slow day at the blog. 9 games going, and bengi won’t be in any of them.
    Huff keeps trying to show a spark of life. cody needs a gitty-up.
    To pull off a great trade must take a lot of consideration, combinations and luck.
    Go Sabean.

10. Bozo said, on June 13, 2011 at 9:35 am

If the Molina you’re talking about is Jose, yeah I’d kick the Blue Jays tires and see what they would want.

Although, I’m sure the staff would welcome Bengie back (and may even be pushing for it), I agree with what snarkk and willied already said, the split between him and Sabes would take a lot of bridge building.

11. Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 9:40 am

Since it’s an off day, how ’bout them Mavs? This has to be among the only times in my life I’ve rooted for anything Dallas, but it was cool to see Nowistski get his championship. Esp after their collapse in 2006, and the improbable Warriors beat-down in 2007.

Mainly though, it was seeing the chosen one relegated to standing on the periphery and not be a factor in the 4th quarter of most of these finals games. Just looking at the teams play, Miami was bigger and faster and stronger. But they wilted down the stretch. Especially LeBron. If not for Bosh’s clutch shot in game 3, this could have been over in 5.

__________________________

As far as Panda goes, seeing as they just lost their ROY due to a collision at the plate, they might be a little leery of putting Panda back behind the dish. Esp since he’s just coming off the DL himself.

12. Nipper said, on June 13, 2011 at 9:53 am

You just thought that one up? Pablo behind the plate? Never and you know better.

• Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 10:23 am

I brought it up in ST, skippy. The brass brought it up a couple days ago.

13. Nipper said, on June 13, 2011 at 9:59 am

Where’s TED SPE? We need a good rant!

• Bozo said, on June 13, 2011 at 10:35 am

“What’s this ‘we’ shit, Kemosabe?”

14. twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2011 at 10:01 am

Had to come back from Philo. Need to do some thiings this week then go back…I love the big trees and the river. Very peaceful for me.
    Valentine never said shit about Tejada playing second on anything more than an occasional basis..
    Second is not Manny’s natural position, they tried him there after he couldn’t cut it defensively at SS. He’s better at second but hardly good.Makes the spectacular play but he has bad hands at any position..
    .Stewart has played well. Some loud outs, throws well, very good demeanor.Until/if they make a move, he’s better than Whitey…
    Even Baggs is semi-ragging on Dirty after he delivers another good start. He saved the homestand. Outstanding effort…especially after the gag job Saturday.
    Only your pal Doomin’ Denny was still using the Go**z bit much anymore. Isn’t it overboard to ban non-offensive content because you don’t get it? It got old, but that’s on the Doomer Boy..

• Nipper said, on June 13, 2011 at 10:06 am

Doomer Denny is a nice moniker. I like it!

15. stixwiz said, on June 13, 2011 at 10:08 am

Tejada starting at third? Sure, why not. Whenever Panda feels comfortable playing 1B or catching for a day or so, Miggie can handle 3B just fine.

• twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2011 at 10:27 am

If Crawford doesn’t at least start getting respectable ABs, you’ll see Miggy at SS as well..
      Nip, it’s “Doomin’ Denny”. He likes it, too.

16. Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 10:21 am

Yeah, the trimvirate of nimrods in the booth were dogging Sanchez all game. Orel, Valentine, and Schulman are horrific at best. I was never a huge fan of Joe Morgan, but he did get more tolerable the longer he did it. When he started, it was like he never made an error and batted 1.000 his whole career.

Volquez and Dirrrty’s lines were nearly identical (103 pitches, 5 hits, 2 runs for each, Drrty had 2 more walks), but listening to those clowns, you’d think Sanchez lost 12-2.

17. Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 10:29 am

I’ve come to accept Sanchez for what he is. A guy who IS nasty, but who is all over the place. His pitch counts are usually too high too early, but his era is low, and he never seems to give up the backbreaking hit.

What more can you ask for? Except maybe lowering the walks.

18. twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2011 at 10:42 am

The guys at the networks are no different than the clowns locally, the hook for Dirty is the walks. Which is fine, it’s hardly untruhful.But when it gets in the way of honest reporting, it’s not fine..
    As I said at the beginning of the year, it’s now time To accept Dirty for what he is, not what we think he could be. What he is, is a very good MLB starting pitcher.

• twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2011 at 10:43 am

I see that Chuckles paid attention.

• zumarust said, on June 13, 2011 at 10:54 am

Baggs said that in his book. Y’all need to read “A Team of Misfits.” (grin)

• twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2011 at 11:14 am

He needs to read me, well, he probably does.

19. zumarust said, on June 13, 2011 at 10:52 am

The ESPN crew did a good job overall last night, IMO, and heaped a lot of praise on the Giants. It struck me too that no broadcasters around the nation really “get” the Giants. The Giants remain a marvelous mystery to them. There was this exchange at one point.
    Bobby V.: “Now that he’s on the Giants, Hall will probably get a walk-off game-winning hit in a few days.”
    Orel: “Heck, he’ll probably be the World Series MVP.”
    Ha!

• twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2011 at 11:33 am

Wow, they heaped some praise on the World Champions..
      They ARE better than the Fox bunch, faint praise there..the new play-by-play guy, whatshisname, is no slouch.When Fox listed the guys who had been on the DL, they left off Ross and Torres completely. Unforgivable.
      Fact is, in their over the top dialog on Dirty’s control problems, they barely touched on the key to the game- getting out of the fourth with just two runs scoring.

20. SanDawg said, on June 13, 2011 at 10:55 am

Crawford cracks me up. He definitely has the “act like you’ve been there before” bit down for a guy who just came up from A ball. He carries himself like he’s a 10 year vet who has made several all-star teams. Comes off to me as a bit of a hot-dog as well, with the extra set of batting gloves hanging just so out of his back pockets and the inverted David Duval rainbow shades resting on the bill of his cap. I can dig it though—he’s making the routine plays and still taking what look like pretty good at-bats to me, even though his average has dipped a bit. I thought Orel made an intereresting call that there may be a book on him that he tends to hit that hole between short and third as Rolen was playing him way off the line.
    Watching Manny and Crawdad do their thing up the middle last night was cool. I too hope Manny gets a long look at 2nd.

“Good night and have a pleasant tomorrow” —-funny stuff Chuck!

21. zumarust said, on June 13, 2011 at 11:00 am

When it came to Sanchez, I think the ESPN crew was more interested in spinning a game-story narrative, which was the similarities between Sanchez and Voquez. Two pitchers with great stuff, who have spurts of control issues. However we feel about that legitimacy of the comparison, it did work well for the broadcast as a narrative.

22. Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 11:01 am

Well, as the crew is the spawn of ESPN and all that is homeruns and over-the-top bullshit, it doesn’t jive with their style of pushing the sport of baseball.

Winning games on pitching, sac flies and run-scoring groundouts doesn’t fit in to their demographic of Pujols and Fielder and monster blasts.

Valentine did aknowledge a few times that their style of basball can work (duh, they ARE the reigning champs), but it still seems to them (and most others around the country) to be some kind of novelty act. Like pitching and defense is fine and all, but in the long run, you need 40 HR guys to win you championships. Like the fricking LA in the 60’s talk earlier, the Giants had bad-ass hitters back then, but never enough pitching to reach the playoffs, let alone wiin it all (yes it was a TON harder to REACH the playoffs back then, but you get the point).

• TedSpe said, on June 13, 2011 at 11:05 am

Face it. It *is* show biz and home runs are sexy

• zumarust said, on June 13, 2011 at 11:12 am

They repeatedly talked about how much they like the Giants. They talked about how much they liked that the Giants get it done as a team; at one point Valentine even called it “beautiful.” You can criticize other ESPN folks for being homerun-obsessed, but Valentine and Herscheiser gave a lot of credit to the Giants last night for their style of baseball, which is built around great pitching, obviously.

• TedSpe said, on June 13, 2011 at 11:33 am

I agree. But I was speaking in generalities, not specific to last night’s broadcast.

23. Kevin said, on June 13, 2011 at 11:08 am

It has taken me time as well to accept Dirty as the pitcher he is rather than what I think he should be. High pitch count, walks and all he really does a good/great job, keeping the Giants in the game. I hope Crawford can stick at SS he appears to be taking advantage of his time to show what he is capable of. I think Steward should get the majority of the starts at catcher, he is another one who could be wanting to prove himself at this level. The Giants already know what they have in No Whitey, why not play Stewart. and July is just around the corner for the trade dead line, go with what you have, don’t appear to be in a panic and give up more than they need to.

24. TedSpe said, on June 13, 2011 at 11:35 am

WIth all good news, there always comes some sad news to counter. To make room for Sandoval on the roster, Conor Gillaspie had to be optioned to Fresno.
    I know, I know, I feel it too. But buck up, little soldiers. We’ll get through this as well.

25. Kevin said, on June 13, 2011 at 11:48 am

Nice Ted, LMAO

26. twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Trust me on this, Ted ( well, trust me on all things) … there will be idiots who will mourn….
    “can’t he catch?”

27. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 13, 2011 at 12:30 pm

You guys see the clip of The Thrill hitting one into the Cove during BP the other day? “Can’t he catch?”

• Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Yeah, I was hoping Clark hadn’t retired when he did. If he had played one more year with the Cards (as they wanted him to) he would have gotten to play some games at the new yard.

That would have been cool to see. . .

28. Sierra Nevada said, on June 13, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Got to watch the game for a change yesterday. The interesting thing to me was that, despite running into problems, Sanchez kept his cool and pitched his game. Volquez, on the other hand, at one point was clearly on having a temper tantrum on the mound when he didn’t get a call. Add in the turd Volquez squeezed off on the basepaths, declining to trot to third on a double, then trotting too far and getting thrown out by Cody, and you have a clear picture of who the more valuable and dependable pitcher was yesterday.

Whenever I read about some proposed trade for Sanchez that doesn’t involve true can’t-miss value coming back to the Giants, I shake my head. Maybe next year at the trade deadline they move him for a mere roster upgrade. But right now, dealing that guy for anything less than a true star seems like a nutty idea.

29. zumarust said, on June 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm

My point in mentioning the ESPN crews’ abundance of positive things said about the Giants last night is to give recognition when the media doesn’t show the usual East Coast bias. There shouldn’t BE East Coast bias, but it does exist. It’s always nice to see some national broadcasters give the Giants their due.
    That doesn’t mean I think the ESPN Sunday night crew is all that great otherwise. I’ve had my share of criticisms of them. But they just kept pouring on the praise for the Giants last night, and I was just burstin’ with pride as a Giants fan to hear it. Last night was part of the basking that still goes on.

• Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 2:26 pm

My problem was the continued rip job on Sanchez to the point of not even noticing the facts of the game.

Ergo, getting out of the 4th inning by only giving up 2 runs. He kept his team iin the game after all the problems. In the 5th, he gave up 2 hits, and with defensive help/brain fart by Volquez, got out of the 5th as well. The 6th was no problem. The Reds are the top hitting team in the NL. ANYONE holding them to 2 runs in 6 is doing a good job.

But all we hear about is how shitty Sanchez is and how he’s not helpng the team, he only goes 5, his pitch count is too high, blah blah, blah.

Plus, my son hates the guy, and I keep telling him that Sanchez is much better than he thinks. Rue him for walking the bases loaded with no outs, but praise him for not giving up and holding the opposition to two runs and keeping his team in the game.

• zumarust said, on June 13, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I didn’t hear it as a rip job on Sanchez. They acknowledged he has fantastic stuff. That breaking pitch he struck out Phillips on looked like it dropped two feet just when it got to the plate. They found the number of walks worrisome.

30. Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm

At this point, I’d be shocked if Drrrty got traded. sabean would certainly value him bery high in trade scenarios. You just have to wonder what other GMs around the league would think.

Eiother way, he certainly won’t get what Sabes wants for him. So, the deal won’t happen.

31. twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Here’s who the Einsteins here wanted for Dirty a couple years ago. They wanted to give the Marlins Sanchez PLUS…
    143 AB 3 HR 16 RBI .196 BA .520 OPS
    Jorge Candon’t

32. Craig Vaughan said, on June 13, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I sent XOOT’s POTD to Murph and Mac this morning and this is what one of them sent back to me.

Murph and Mac to me
    show details 1:11 PM (1 hour ago)
    The fact that somebody would post that reveals yet another depressing strain in society today.

Btw, it was the 6th inning of 7. And it was me — Brian Murphy — not Paulie Mac who helped coach that team.

What an asshole. Flaming one, at that.

Brian Murphy

33. xootsuit said, on June 13, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Godammit. Now I have to email the guy myself. By the way, I think it was the 6th inning, now that he mentions it.

34. Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 2:28 pm

What post are you talking about?

35. twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Well, now Xoot is even with Stann. A media guy mentioned him..And so fondly…

• zumarust said, on June 13, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Although I think “flaming asshole” is very faint praise.

• TedSpe said, on June 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm

A media guy called me a flaming asshole once…once!

36. Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Nevermind. Found it in the POTD thing . . .

37. twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2011 at 2:34 pm

His reaction does seem rather harsh.

38. zumarust said, on June 13, 2011 at 2:37 pm

One of the funniest things is- who can tell which one is Murph and which one is Mac?! I can’t. I bet 90% of the listeners don’t know which one is which. They’re both equally inane.

39. TedSpe said, on June 13, 2011 at 2:49 pm

That is fucking hilarious!
    Of course, one does have to admire what a complete professional he his.
    Douchebag. I’ve listened to their show over the years probably, oh…twice

40. xootsuit said, on June 13, 2011 at 2:59 pm

BF — I sent an email response to murph, and tried to post it here, but it ain’t showing up. In your spam filter? I was pretty restrained, but maybe some of the language triggered the filter. “dipshit hothead” or “weasley whiner,” maybe. Can you check on that?

41. Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 3:04 pm

With less than 2 outs, the runners can’t advance. That’s what I thought, anyway.

• xootsuit said, on June 13, 2011 at 3:31 pm

There was one out, bases loaded. The batter can run on two outs, even if 1B is occupied. Not on one out.

• Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm

With a dropped 3rd strike and one out, the runners can’t advance. When the catcher picked up the ball, the play should have been over.

They ruled it wrong.

• Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm

If there are 2 outs when the 3rd strike is dropped, THEN the runners can advance. If that was the case, then the force is in effect, and they covered that by stepping on home, and throwing to 1st.

• Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Nice story, though . . .

42. zumarust said, on June 13, 2011 at 3:04 pm

What a joke Coors Field is, watching that Rockies/Dodgers game yesterday. The humidor must have been broken yesterday. The ballpark balloons a hitters’ numbers; all those guys career numbers are suspect- Helton, Tulo, Gonzelez….

43. Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Shit, I’d rather listen to anything rather than the programming at KNBR (minus the Giants games). For the most part, the callers are retards and the talking heads are idiots.

GiGO, baby. . .

• TedSpe said, on June 13, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I don’t mind Tolbert. And Marty Lurie’s okay. But yeah, the callers are primarily shit for brains. That’s one of the reasons I like listening to Lurie because he is so…fucking…polite it’s truly entertaining. Some moron will call suggesting we trade Cain for Fielder or something and he’ll go “Well, okay, thanks for the call dogspaw. A good call. Really. Good call, Okay…” and then he’ll go into all the reasons why the guy was out of his mind and end with”…but a good call. No really. Good topic. Now we have liverlips Louie from San Leandro on his cell. Liverlips? What’s on your mind?”

• Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Yeah, I used to listen to Tolbert. Barbieri killed tht for me though. Tolbert’s about the only guy who isn’t completely in love with the sound of his own voice. I haven’t heard Lurie.

44. Big flavor said, on June 13, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Xoot I will check when I get home and approve then

45. eddacker said, on June 13, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Wow, Murf must take his media guidance from the same guys that let Sabean continue the Posey story.

46. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 13, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I thought Shulman/Valentine/Hershiser on ESPN definitely improved since Opening Day. I felt they had some good insights for general audiences (good comment about picking up red on a breaking ball; criticizing Votto’s 1B positioning). They missed a few things (Ross and Torres having been on the DL), but Valentine especially gave lots of praise to the Giants, most so to Bochy and Sabean. Said Bochy is the best, I recall. And I liked in particular the wry remark that Hall could be the Series MVP. OK with me, if that’s what it takes. One of the reasons Orel and V. were so harsh on Dirty and Volquez is that both of them diminish the entertainment level. I myself find it hard to watch Dirty. It is simply irritating to see leadoff batters walked, or hit. Last night, I was wrung out; it seemed like a 14-inning game. But wait. I forgot. That’s how we roll. Silly to forget.

Speaking of Sanchezes, I was outside the ballpark when a Giants employee announced the Freddy trade. i was against it for the longest time.Well, during last year’s stretch run, I became one of his biggest fans. I really hope he can make it back. He is such a key player — physically, mentally, spiritually. Come back, Freddy.

47. twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Yeah, I too was much happier with the quick throttling of Timmy on Saturday….

48. DJLoo said, on June 13, 2011 at 5:35 pm

This “twinfan 1” is even more sarcastic than that “twinfan” guy who used to post here on occasion…

49. Unca Chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Huh. They are saying that Sanchez doesn’t need surgery.

50. snarkk said, on June 13, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Some of you are too critical on Murphy of Murph and Mac. He’s the only dude on KNBR that has any professional reporting chops, and it shows. He used to be the beat guy for the A’s for several seasons, he knows baseball petty well. He’s a huge Giants fan, and just wrote an apparent coffee-table type book on the WS season ( I don’t have it).. On interviews, he actually asks direct, sometimes tough questions, even about Giant players and the team if it’s a Giants-related person. Nobody else at KNBR has command of language that he does, or does a better radio interview. Barbieri is a joke — he’s been there so long he’s coasting — seems like half the time he’s not even there.. Take’s him two minutes to ask a question, always including some self-aggrandizement, then when he’s done you forgot what the question was in the first place. Just bad, although he does occasionally get in Sabes’ grill, which is welcome in my book. And Mac is just a DJ type, he stays out of the way. Murphy actually had the gonads to hang in there for most of two seasons every Tuesday and conduct that excruciating 10 minute radio interview with Sing. Brutal, but he never got in Sing’s grill, which I would have or most would have, had we been treated by Sing like he was on every interview — like a sack of spit. I am sure even after all those interviews, for which he was paid, Sing never bothered to know or remember Murphy’s name. To me, Murphy earns some cred in that he took the time and balls to e-mail back a Flapper with some bawdy language…

51. SanDawg said, on June 13, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Naughty, naughty, loud ‘n bawdy, t-t-t-t tease me…

Sorry….horrible song, I know. You just don’ t see the word “bawdy” used much anymore so I jumped at the chance.

I agree Murphy ain’t bad, loves the Giants, and would surely mix well with many of us on here, but I thought he came off like douche with that response.

52. twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Well, sorry for the sarcasm, Pawlie. But it has to be admitted, for this weekend, Dirrty made the big pitches to escape damage, and Timmy made the fat ones..

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 13, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Well, I was internally consistent (i.e., consistent with my own viewing habits), Twin. What I mean is, I was driving through sheets of rain to Binghamton and back and did not catch any of Timmy’s game. Meaning, yeah, it was like chewing snakes to watch Dirty, but sure he won, it could’ve been 8-4, a loss, and wasn’t; credit him and the defense and the timely hitting and Volquez’s dumb running. Does Timmy get a pass? I’m probably one to give him one, but in this case I simply did not see that game. As an aside: no LESS irritating are Burrell’s passive at bats. And I was on record early saying he’s done, sadly. Yes, Dirty made the big pitches. Orel or Bobby V. said it accurately, tho’, at the outset: he gets himself in trouble and works out of the trouble he got himself into. Something like that.

53. snarkk said, on June 13, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Big Congrats to the Cal Bear baseball squad for making it to the College World Series. First time since 1992. This is a huge accomplishment, especially in light of the program basically being discarded in September by the Athletic Department, some of the kids looking for new schools, etc., only for the program to be saved by $9M or so in private donations (for an endowment type situation) just about 6 weeks ago. IMO, the feel good sports story of the Bay Area this year. Oh, and N. Carolina soundly booted Stanford from their Super Regional. Double Ka Ching. Cal is the only surviving representative of the Pac10 to go to Omaha. Go Bears!…

• snarkk said, on June 13, 2011 at 6:26 pm

The CWS is playing in its new Omaha stadium for the inaugural time. Last year was the last CWS to be held in the old Rosenblatt Stadium. This new part looks pretty sweet. Hell, looks better than that POS where the A’s play….

• Flavor said, on June 13, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I agree that Cal is a great story this year, especially in light of the program getting yanked last Fall……

54. Flavor said, on June 13, 2011 at 6:23 pm

XOOT I just checked my spam filter and you aren’t in it. Forward me the email? Or just copy and paste the content here. I would love to read it. After re-reading the Murph/Idiot email I have decided that a follow up flap email is in order…….
    In fact, I’d encourage all of you guys to tell these 2 chumps what time it is…….
    Their email is murphandmac@knbr.com and if you’re going to send them one send it tomorrow when they are buzzing through them.

55. Flavor said, on June 13, 2011 at 6:28 pm

And Snarkk, I disagree with you. I listen to Murph and Idiot every morning and I am only marginally impressed with their interview skills. I also find their knowledge of the game to be suspect. They spend most of their show trying to one-up eachother on who can make the most random reference from someone or something from the 80’s. And I thought his response back to me was bush league. He over reacted to a humorous anecdote from a baseball blog. I am penning my response to him now……

• snarkk said, on June 13, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I talked totally about Murph, (not “their” skills) he’s clearly the smarter head of that two headed show. Its a morning drive show, not NPR, so you can’t expect Bill Jamesian discussions on a regular basis. Paulie is a DJ hack, he barely participates in interviews, surely by order of the program director, Hammer. As for Murph’s bawdy response, whatever. Somebody from the ether sends him a critical e-mail, at least he responded. Maybe he had a bad lunch. He could have just ignored it altogether…

• xootsuit said, on June 13, 2011 at 6:52 pm

He knew god damned good and well that he and his co-coaches helped lose the game. Check out his twitter twat afterward:

@knbrmurph
      Brian Murphy
      Back from crushing, xtra-inning Jrs LL loss. No TOC for N. Oakland Mets. Shoot. At least I can enjoy watching Tim Lincecu– Uh, never mind.
      11 Jun via web

56. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on June 13, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Chuck, re: surgery … not sure where you’re seeing that…? The gist of the reports so far, is that they’re going to stall surgery as long as possible if some lower impact rehab proves (short-term) effective. I doubt he’ll escape the knife altogether, but if it can wait till off-season, so much the better.

• snarkk said, on June 13, 2011 at 6:43 pm

That’s exactly what I’ve heard so far. Sounds like a lot of hope, not much else. If I had to bet money, I’d bet he’s done for the season…

57. DJLoo said, on June 13, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Bochy will have some interesting decisions to make when he has to fill out his all-star roster in a few weeks. If it was today the 3 most deserving Giants would be pitchers named Vogelsong, Lopez and Ramirez.

• DJLoo said, on June 13, 2011 at 6:52 pm

and Romo…

58. xootsuit said, on June 13, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I sent this to MurphandMac@knbr.com at 2:46:43 today.

This is to Brian Murphy:

This past Saturday the noll/soll Astros kicked ass on your Mets, in the Juniors championship game. A key play in the game occurred in the 6th inning, when you Mets coaches went ballistic over a dropped third strike, even though there was only one out. As a result of your inept coaching, your catcher (who I know from years in the league and tournament play — he’s a good player) got confused and threw the ball to first base, allowing the Astros runner on third to steal home without a play. That run tied the game. The game went extra innings, and the Astros, as I say, won the game, and the right to move on the District’s Tournament of Champions.

I told that dropped-pitch story on a Giants blog this past weekend. I made a mistake about the inning in which you made your much dumber mistake. Also, one of the other parents told me that you were the “mack” in the morning guy; I had heard that before. I was misinformed. So I’m sorry I tarred mack with your stupidity. Also, I understand that you read my account of the game and got pissed off. What a weasley whiner you are. I’ve had two kids play up through Juniors in noll/soll. Generally, I like the Juniors coaches. There are always exceptions, I guess.

By the way, I’m remaining anonymous mainly to protect my kid against a dipshit hothead like you. For all I know, he may end up dealing with you in fall ball, or, if the league is remiss enough to allow you to coach all stars, all stars. I really wonder if a guy who would respond to my harmless blog post the way you did is qualified to coach kids.

On the other hand, thank you for clarifying that you’re murph.

Sincerely,

xootsuit.

• twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2011 at 6:54 pm

That will smooth things over 😉

• macdog said, on June 13, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Even in Little League, the Mets are a bunch of screw-ups.

• Flavor said, on June 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Haha, That was an outstanding response. And for a guy who spends half his show bragging about coaching LL you would think he could take a little playful criticism…….

59. twinfan1 said, on June 13, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Ramirez and Lopez have zero chance. If a set up guy went it would be Romo. Wilson is in, after that it’s based on the next few weeks.

• xootsuit said, on June 13, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Vogelsong, Romo and Wilson would be pretty cool. I believe the other starters would exult.

60. DJLoo said, on June 13, 2011 at 7:01 pm

I’ve never like anyone who goes by the name “Murph”, and I’ve known a few over the years.

• snarkk said, on June 13, 2011 at 9:34 pm

The Giants “Murph” is about as good a “Murph” as it gets. He’s more a Giant than anybody in that clubhouse or in the front office or in ownership. That’s why he got the first ring…

61. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 13, 2011 at 7:25 pm

The Giants’ affiliate Richmond Flying Squirrels have an outfielder by the name of Skyler Stromsmoe. Man, how’d you like to write that on your scorecard? Not likely, though. Batting .228. And another great name, Sharlon Schoop, is only at .193.

• DJLoo said, on June 13, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Do they play The Shoop Shoop Song when he walks up to the plate?

62. Nipper said, on June 13, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I hate this Murph and Mac show but are these guys worth hating? Perhaps not but disliking their show is my feeling and I wish they would disappear. Their ratings must be good to stay on.

• snarkk said, on June 13, 2011 at 9:42 pm

KNBR is #4 rated station in the Bay Area per arbitron ratings that just came out. Murph and Mac just got renewed for another coupla years. That wouldn’t happen if their ratings sucked. Either don’t listen, or get used to ’em…

63. dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 13, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Coot, that is some funny shit. Has the FlavorNation inundated him with emails yet?

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 13, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Coot = Zoot not short for Cooter or any Dukes of Hazard reference.

• xootsuit said, on June 13, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Coot? You know, it won’t be all that long before I change my fucking name to cootsuit. Ah, well.

• dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 13, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Coot, Zoot, Xoot. Whatever. Damn iPad

64. Sportdude said, on June 13, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Every day I too hope the Giants sign Bengie. I cannot see what Sabean sees in Whiteside. No ave, no power, poor defense. Can we win over the long haul with the worst catcher in MLB? Hopefully we won’t have to find out..

• DJLoo said, on June 13, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Benito Santiago’s probably in better shape…

• unca chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Stewart is getting more and more playing time. FWIW . . .

65. unca chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Bobby Estelella?

66. Flavor said, on June 13, 2011 at 8:31 pm

It’s Bobby *Chest-e-lella*. That might be the gayest nickname of all time but it was the one he rolled with back in the day…….
    OK, I hit the send button on my retort to Murph. I’ll post it if he responds to it……

• unca chuck said, on June 13, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I couldn’t, in good conscience, type that, Flav . . .

67. Big flavor said, on June 13, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I’m disgusted with myself that I was able to

68. TedSpe said, on June 13, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Funny fucking response, xoot to Smurf and Smack
    And Flav….I’m…not disgusted with you but…
    How DeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEE