A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Carl Stewart’s Raw Blog Post

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 19, 2011

If you haven’t read it yet, go check out Stewart’s fill-in blog post for Baggs today. Wow, I guess this guy doesn’t have to walk into the clubhouse ever. He second guesses Bochy and then skewers Sanchez. Then he goes on to rip the entire offense. Hey, we can do it on our fan blogs but I was surprised to read someone do it in an established media outlet like the Merc. I think he went overboard on Sanchez………

Last night’s game was bad, probably the worst we have played all season. And yet we still only lost 4-2. It felt like 14-2 but with our bullpen we will almost always be in a game to the end. I am hoping that Bochy is finally starting to realize that Nate is more valuable coming off the bench late. We should have had BOTH Burrell and Hall playing in this series, especially with the DH option–they represent some pop and this line up is desperate for it. And yet they both languished away on the bench last night (besides 1 ph for Burrell). Dumb. They should both be in the LU today……

The Flap Fantasy Baseball Standings

(Dennis and Blade slip back while Orbo re-starts his engines and sets his sights on Dirt)

1. Nipper said, on June 19, 2011 at 8:38 am

What can one say? When your team play sucks……it sucks. For some reason the Giants have no killer instinct in Oakland. Perhaps it’s the women? Nah, not our clean lads!

2. Flavor said, on June 19, 2011 at 8:43 am

Nip, last night was so bad YOU got POTD! Carry that momentum onward, my man!

3. Flavor said, on June 19, 2011 at 8:44 am

Florida manager just resigned. The club has been in a tailspin since the night Posey was taken out. That terrible play is now indirectly costing people jobs…..

• DJLoo said, on June 19, 2011 at 9:18 am

Pawlie won’t like that hyphen, Flav…

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 9:38 am

Don’t know if there was a horse called Hyphen, but I do remember Siphon. Pretty damn good runner back in his day. I had him a couple times. Brazilian bred IIRC…

4. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 8:56 am

Someone on Baggs’ blog said they’re sick and tired of Sanchez and want him to take his “Rico Suave” act somewhere else.
    That’s fucking HI-larious. Rico Suaaaaaave.

• victorfrankenstein said, on June 19, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I could do without the INNINGEXTENSION.EXE walk program.

I’m actually watching the archived game right now. Crisp is on second and Sanchez keeps trying to paint corners, and bouncing the ball in front of Stewart who eventually can’t handle one.

Sanchez is not a pitch to contact guy.
      He stays away, the batters don’t chase, the count runs up…and then he walks a third of them, strikes out a third of them and the other third is standing ON third now. It’s maddening.

5. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 9:06 am

You think our Giants are struggling? Look at my fantasy team. I’m 7 pts behind Chuck ferchrissakes.
    That’s both embarrassing and shameful. I need to take NO Whitey’s “Rico Suave” act somewhere else.

6. dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 19, 2011 at 9:15 am

Pretty honest and forthright takes from Stewart. Thing is he’s pretty spot on. Maybe he’s got a job offer or something.

7. twinfan said, on June 19, 2011 at 9:22 am

You can’t have the tean MVP coming off thge bench….
    BTW, what idiot would believe that Nate got 11 legit votes in that poll? It’s obvious reading the comments about him that he didn’t .Maybe 3 or 4.Flavor, Snarkkles, 1 or 2 more…
    Dirty wasn’t very good last night, but the killer hit was a 6 hop seeing eye from Godzilla..

• DJLoo said, on June 19, 2011 at 10:16 am

Well since th “P” in MVP stands for player, you can’t have an entire bullpen as an MVP either…

• twinfan said, on June 19, 2011 at 10:28 am

Flavor started the “bullpen as MVP” stuff. He does that quite often , especially when he doesn’t want to give it to Wilson. Wilson is the team MVP.

8. Macdog said, on June 19, 2011 at 9:36 am

Giants go against Cahill today. If this were earlier in the season they’d have no chance, but Cahill has gone to shit the last few weeks so maybe there’s some hope. The more likely scenario is Cahill gets it back together against the 2-runs-per-game brigade and we’ll need a shutout by Matty.

9. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 10:13 am

Some guy just called Marty Laurie and suggested we trade Nate for B.J. Upton. Why stop there? Rowand for Jose Bautista sounds good to me.
    These morons need to remain hidden from underneath their rocks.

10. DJLoo said, on June 19, 2011 at 10:18 am

If they do make a move on Reyes, might as well try to get Paulino (the 5 minute Giant) as part of the deal…

11. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on June 19, 2011 at 10:24 am

Well … umm… on the upside: We’ve never lost 4 in a row this season? Win today will still make for a .500 roadie?

12. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 11:05 am

Rowand at DH AGAIN. Bochy is trying what little patience I have left…
    Torres CF, Burriss 2B, Sandoval 3B, Huff 1B, Ross LF, Schierholtz RF, Rowand DH, Crawford SS, Whiteside C.

• victorfrankenstein said, on June 19, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Aaron Rowand is an Aqua Teen Hunger Force fan.
      I know this because of his batting stance behavior.

After the bizarre penile extension display, when the bat goes up
      and he looks out at the pitcher – well, he starts to oh – so – slightly undulate.

It’s as if he hears the Hillbilly yell “COMMENCE ta’ JIGGLIN’!

13. Flavor said, on June 19, 2011 at 11:11 am

Unbelievably stupid ass LU. It should have both Hall and Burrell in there……..
    And the POTG ABSOLUTELY was the bullpen. Both Ramirez and Romo held the Athletics at bay after Sanchez fucked up and gave us a chance to win. That’s *players* of the game……

• twinfan said, on June 19, 2011 at 1:02 pm

You didn’t want Hall, did you?

14. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 11:29 am

Why sign Hall if you’re not gonna trot him out there? That’s totally against the usual Giants modus operandi.
    At least see what he can or cannot do. Totally asinine…

15. unca chuck said, on June 19, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Christ, that is strange. Burriss MAY work a walk a game. Hall at least has the threat of power.

Fuck Oakland. Hate the team. Hate the crypt they play in. Hate the league they play in. Baseball-induced coma . . .

The G’s need to score early and often. Cahill has been getting shelled lately.

16. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Paul Lo Duca, YES, that Paul Lo Duca is singling my selection of #8, NIGHT TIDE in the 2nd at Hollywood.
    That ex-Dodger better not jinx me and Ed from across the pond…

17. willieD said, on June 19, 2011 at 12:34 pm

burriss at least did get on base twice last night, hit and a walk.
    Nate really only gets to play because of the major suckitude of burrell and rowand, not to mention injuries to belt and ford. Otherwise, he’s not even the MVP of the OF. Making a mistake like he did on the bases last night would put him in most mgrs. doghouse for quite some time, but he did have two hits.
    The baggs sub I thought was way out of line…he sounds like one of those guys who wants to DFA everyone, when bochy doesn’t have a suitable replacement to put into the LU. Lot of bad ABs last night, from most every one that got in the game (including burrell, my choice to hit for rowand); collective team loss. Again, trade J Sanchez, and what do you have to replace him among SPs? He at least has 4 Ws this season…Zito wouldn’t have any of those.
    If I recall, didn’t SF stink up this place last year and get swept? didn’t matter in the end, tho.

18. Flavor said, on June 19, 2011 at 12:48 pm

great post, WillieD……

19. dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 19, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I thought DHL in the POTG pic was due to the offense mailing it in. Again.

20. willieD said, on June 19, 2011 at 12:55 pm

As to Jose Reyes…if he really is available (a big if, imo), what legit players would you have to give up? I mean, really…the mets obviously aren’t taking on big contracts (which eliminates a couple guys right there), so what do they want? Since he is the single best offensive player they have by far and can’t be replaced, are they looking for pitching/defense?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Why always so well thought out and rational? This is a blog. Get emotional and angry like the rest of us.
      You wanna see emotional and angry? If this horse doesn’t win the 2nd at Hollywood, I’m gonna be PISSED.

• blade3colorado said, on June 19, 2011 at 1:56 pm

WillieD . . . Everything points to Reyes NOT being available. Why? First off, he doesn’t want to leave New York. He has said this numerous times. He has put down roots in New York, signing with the organization as a 16-year-old from Dominican Republic in 1999. Though most players escape from the New York area for the winter, Reyes has made it home by buying a house on Long Island. “The Mets are the team who gave me the opportunity to play professional baseball and gave me the opportunity to play here in the big leagues,” Reyes said. “My family is here. They’re comfortable. I’ve got my daughter here going to school. I don’t want to be somewhere else.” That being said, Reyes is minding his “Ps” and “Qs” by implementing a “cone of silence.” You’ll notice he hasn’t said jack, especially noticeable considering Wilpon’s incendiary comments last month.

Wilpon’s critical comments last month were a ploy to both motivate Reyes, as well as manipulate him, insofar as ensuring that he doesn’t get “LMFAO Crawford money.” He still may make that type of scratch, but I doubt it . . . Again, see Crawford, who I believe went on the DL today. Mets are on record that they will not give ANYONE a long term contract such as the one Crawford got . . . However, again, this may be a negotiating ploy.

What else? Everyone needs to remember that before you back up the Giants “Brinks truck” to Jose’s driveway – he is NOT a “classic” lead-off hitter. One of the key components of being a leadoff man is the ability to get on base, and people familiar with the Mets’ thinking told SI.com’s Jon Heyman (in March) that the team wants Jose Reyes to improve his on-base percentage before they give him a multiyear deal. The 27-year-old posted a .321 OBP in 2010. Reyes’ OBP was an issue earlier in his career as well; he got on base just 30.3% of the time in his first three seasons, a span of 1,254 plate appearances. He responded by posting an OBP between .354 and .358 in the next three years before a hamstring injury shortened his 2009 campaign. Reyes’ career OBP is .335, and for comparison’s sake, leadoff hitters around the game got on base at a .329 clip in 2010.

Couple his propensity for being injury prone and his lackluster OBP – The Giants should tread carefully with regard to Reyes. Maybe a rental if we are still in contention after the All Star break, but long term, no way Jose. The Bottom line is that the Mets have no interest in trading Reyes, unless they get an outrageous offer of prospects (Belt) and/or pitching. In short, they are “setting up” teams to get hosed in the shithole and i don’t think the Giants should bend over. Just my two cents . . .

21. twinfan said, on June 19, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Unlike last night, those were good swings from Panda..

22. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 1:16 pm

He just opened up at 2/5. I’m ALREADY pissed.

23. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Hey, Ed. How much money did you punt over there across the pond? Yer killin’ me.

24. dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Did they re-sod the whole field last night?

25. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 1:24 pm

FFIW, I got this horse straight from Bob Baffert himself. No joke. Apparently I wasn’t the only one he told.

26. Macdog said, on June 19, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Eli interfering with Matsui with a runner on second might’ve been the best thing he’s done at catcher this year.

27. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Heeeee! I’d let out a bigger “Heeeeeeeeeeeeee,” but the sumbitch was only 3/5….

28. Macdog said, on June 19, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Hey! How ’bout that DH!

29. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Like I said, Rowand at DH AGAIN? Heeeee!

30. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Addams (first name withheld), great catch!

31. Macdog said, on June 19, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Nice save by Manny, er, Emmanuel.

32. unca chuck said, on June 19, 2011 at 2:48 pm

No more pick-offs, guys.

33. unca chuck said, on June 19, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I think the run this game is their 1st earned run in the series.

34. unca chuck said, on June 19, 2011 at 2:52 pm

0-22 with risp?

35. unca chuck said, on June 19, 2011 at 2:53 pm

0-23 . . .

36. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 2:57 pm

The Giants have hit one HR this entire road trip. “If we don’t homer, we DON’T score.”

WTF is Baron van Frankenstein? BTW, it’s pronounced “FRONK-en-stein.”

• TedSpe said, on June 19, 2011 at 2:58 pm

No. It’s Eye-gor

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 3:03 pm

You’re putting me on. Do also say Froderick?

• TedSpe said, on June 19, 2011 at 3:09 pm

BLUCHER!!

37. unca chuck said, on June 19, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Nick knockers . . .

38. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 3:09 pm

And Matt the Horse gets a “thanks for coming and hang with ’em” for today’s effort. Fuck that.

39. TedSpe said, on June 19, 2011 at 3:14 pm

oops

40. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 3:15 pm

And just like that…first HR of the year for Powell. We go on to lose this one and there’s gonna be a bitch party.
    And I’m gonna be the lead female dog barking…

41. unca chuck said, on June 19, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Yeah, this had all the earmarks of another desultory loss in fucking Oakhell.

42. unca chuck said, on June 19, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Oakland. Where baseball goes to die a painful, boring death. Teams across the league must dread playing ball there. What a fucking shit-hole of boredom and animosity. The only time they sell out is when the Red Sox, Yanks, or Giants play there.

• Nipper said, on June 19, 2011 at 5:22 pm

You can BLEEP that again. Oakland is one big BLEEP! My sister hated the town and moved to Oregon.

43. unca chuck said, on June 19, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Good news is they are still in 1st place. Soon they will shower the stink of Oaktown off themselves, and start playing baseball.

44. twinfan said, on June 19, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Crawford and Burriss with the best swings today? B.A.D.

45. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I want changes.
    I want firings and hirings.
    I want trades.
    I want demotions.
    I wants promotions.
    I want a hamburger. No, I want a cheeseburger. I want a hot dog. I want a milkshake…

• unca chuck said, on June 19, 2011 at 6:08 pm

You’ll get nothing and like it, Spaulding . . .

46. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on June 19, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Well … that’ll lurn me to not wurry about losing 4 in a row.

47. zumarust said, on June 19, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Gotta start with catcher. Need a catcher.

48. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Look on the bright side. At least we won’t lose tomorrow. [insert I don’t give a flying fuck that we’re off tomorrow gay-ass smiley face here]
    WE STINK.

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Sorry, but I need to run to the liquor store for the ice.

49. Nipper said, on June 19, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Glad this sorry weekend is over.

50. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Hey music fans! I’m sure you’re aware of the recent passing of the great Clarence Clemons. It’s only fitting that E Street Shuffle won the 3rd today at Monmouth…

51. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 19, 2011 at 6:12 pm

You know it sucks when you punch the “ALL” ticket at LOS AL and the 2/1 fav cruises home by five.
    I’d liked punch “ALL” of the Giants offense in the goddamn throat.

52. DJLoo said, on June 19, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Good info from Baffert (another Whitey, btw). A winner’s still a winner, Dennis, whatever the price.
    ——–
    Nice mini-vacation for Wilson. I think he needed it. Haven’t seen too many 98’s lately…

53. DJLoo said, on June 19, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I would also like to re-suggest trying Torres in the 3 hole to shake things up and maybe help him re-discover the missing power stroke. I know he’s their best leadoff hitter, but it ain’t workin’, so stick someone else up there – Hall – Ross -Burriss- Rowand -Crawford…anybody.

54. blade3colorado said, on June 19, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Connie Mack wasn’t available, so the Fish hired Jack McKeon, who is only 80 years old.

55. twinfan said, on June 19, 2011 at 8:16 pm