A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Sweeping Cleveland out of Town and A Critically Important Vote

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 26, 2011

Lost in all the commotion of Dirrrrty heading to the DL, Zito returning and the clever ways we have developed to score a run is this nugget: Since The Mad Bum Implosion Inning our pitching staff has pitched 44 innings and given up 6 runs. When your pitching staff is dropping a 1.22 ERA on teams you can tolerate having a horrid offense–possibly the worst in either league……

So let’s assume Dirrrrty isn’t hurt and there isn’t any question whatsoever about his health. What is his trade value right now? It’s not hard to see that it’s a little on the low end but some of you might argue that his value is always pretty high. I’m fine with that for the sake of this next vote. Because he’s a FA next year I highly doubt that the Mets would agree to this deal. Another thing to keep in mind as you thoughtfully consider where to assign your single precious vote: assume that Reyes walks at the end of the year so we are only getting him for the rest of this year and the playoffs. Also assume that if we didn’t trade Sanchez he would sign another 1 year deal with us for approximately the same as he’s making this year (4.8 mill)

1. That's *mr* mrbill to you! said, on June 26, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Great job, Bummie — regardless of hygiene!

2. willieD said, on June 26, 2011 at 7:26 pm

got 4 solid outs that inning. the indians are fucked up….I don’t think they want to come back here real soon.

3. dirtnrocksnreno said, on June 26, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Your dad probably knows the proper term: Farmer Blow.

4. Rough Trade said, on June 26, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Gotta like the emotion from No Stewart, who is starting to look pretty comfortable back there. Tonight ties his longest stretch with a ML team at 17 games.

5. stixwiz said, on June 26, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Very high quality start by Bumgarner. One run in seven innings with 11 special K’s is the mark of a veteran World Series winner, even if he’s all of 21. With a pitch count of 112, that’s probably a nationally televised evening for him. Country boys have their ways when it comes to minorleague nature calls.

What a pitching staff. As of yesterday’s game they lead baseball in fewest hits given up, most strikeouts and most saves. At an ERA of 3.24 they trail the Phillies and the Braves by 17 points in that category. Only major deficiency is number of walks allowed. Drrrrty dealing accounts for a pile of em all by his lonesome. Staff stats last season also did not range in on the low ERA lead till late season. Might well happen again this year.

6. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 26, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Seriously, gentlemen. If Pablo has to hit the DL, WTF do we do? And Twin, if you say Edgar Gonzalez, I’m gonna pay your paper boy double what you do to make sure he finds your pond…

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2011 at 7:38 pm

It’s a question of what THEY do, nimrod…it would probably be Gillaspie.

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2011 at 7:40 pm

But it certainly COULD be Ed-Go

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 26, 2011 at 7:45 pm

WE, THEY. They’re both pronouns that have the same desired meaning, direction and fact; If we do nothing, we BE fucked…

• SanDawg said, on June 26, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I don’t think Ed Goodson is the answer to our possible 3rd base problems. Isn’t he in exile somewhere these days anyway???

7. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 26, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Gawd. ESPN calling it an injured quad for Panda; I’ll see what I can find out on Twitter.

8. willieD said, on June 26, 2011 at 7:55 pm

the indians bats never left the shadows…affeldt flat out dominated. thanks for stopping by this weekend!

9. eddacker said, on June 26, 2011 at 7:55 pm

no torture with that save
    electric

10. SanDawg said, on June 26, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Affeldt was a beast tonight–great performance.

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2011 at 7:58 pm

How many of these knuckleheads released him earlier this year?

11. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 26, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Your early, early posted Tuesday lineup vs Doug Davis and the Cubs compliments of yours truly…

CF Rowand
    3B Tejada
    1B Huff
    LF Burrell
    RF Ross
    2B Hall
    .C Stewart
    SS “Ed-Go”
    .P Vogelsong

Please refrain from laughing…

12. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Tight left quad

13. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 26, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Pawlie, was that a run-on sentence? I think I should have put a period after Cubs. You’d think a guy who was raised watching “Sanford and Son” would know when to place the period. “That S-A-N-F-O-R-D PERIOD!”

• PawlieKokonuts said, on June 26, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Not a run-on from me, Dennis. You? Not sure. Depends on which post. Depends on PUNCTUATION. Really irritates me when people equate run-on sentence with long sentence. It has ZERO to do with length (as with my sex life…hahahahaha). It has to do with grammatical structure.

14. Bozo said, on June 26, 2011 at 8:18 pm

What an outrages performance by our offense tonight, oh wait, we won.

I wouldn’t trade any of our starting five (Zito? OK) for Reyes, if the Mets want Brad Pill, OK. I think everyone agrees that the SS position is weak right now, but so is 2B, LF and C (after tonight maybe even 3B). Reyes, despite his numbers won’t change a 3-1 game to a 10-1 game. I know I’m not the brightest one, but why in the fuck would I trade a lefty with no-hit stuff for a rental SS playing a contract year?

15. PawlieKokonuts said, on June 26, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Bochy saying Pablo’s injury not serious. G’night all; tuckered out after 650+ miles. Small story: I get some gas at Shell station in Stamford, CT. I say to the Latino gas pump jockey. “You got cool glasses, but mine are cooler. You know what the black & orange stands for?” Blank look. “The Giants. World Champions.” Half smile. “Gigantes,” I say. He says, “Los Gigantes de San Francisco, ” half whisper. I say, “Oh. You’re a Yankees fan. Don’t go telling me 27 World Series and all that. We’re the champs right now.” All with a smile. I get a thumbs up as I leave. Or a slight nod. Don’t remember. At least no violence.

16. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Bozo: you wouldn’t. That’s why you’re in Room A.

17. stixwiz said, on June 26, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Imagine the bus and plane rides for these Cleveland warriors. Snuffed-out candle meets deflated balloon. Soon enough they will return to the happy pastures of the AL Central, still smelling sizzling horsehide from Bumgarner and Affeldt. Sixteen Indians went down on strikes. National Teevee audience just got another taste of the tales of October from this World Championship rotation and bullpen.

Offense should pick up in Chicago and Detroit. Will the hurlers remain in lockdown mode? Team is back to 10 games over .500 with the season nearing its halfway mark. Game three in Chicago is #81. SF keeps up the current pace and they go 92-70. Arizona’s pitching staff got a wakeup call from Los Tigres today, so the lead is back to 1.5 games. Baseball world hasta be in a tizzy over the team with the lowest ranking offense solidly ranked in the top four W-L records in the game. You can never have too much quality pitching.

18. Rough Trade said, on June 26, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Good news about Pablo. Didn’t look serious. Tonight was his first EBH since coming off the Dl, so maybe he’s ready to start rolling. The Friendly Confines as good place as any for a breakout game.

• twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2011 at 8:46 pm

The lack of EBH is misleading. he’s hit several to the gaps and the fence. He’s swinging very well

19. DJLoo said, on June 26, 2011 at 8:37 pm

“Offense should pick up in Chicago and Detroit”

Why?

• Bozo said, on June 26, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Better hookers?

20. Rough Trade said, on June 26, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Cubs pitching ranks 30th.

21. Rough Trade said, on June 26, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Detroit 25th

22. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2011 at 8:48 pm

And they hit better on the road-6th in the NL on the road. Got enough?

23. stixwiz said, on June 26, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Gee ain’t this blog sumthin? Get called on a projection and don’t even have to answer for myself. Hadn’t even checked out the stats on Cubs, Detroit pitching but knew they are not that great. Also that road-home split in hitting stats is far from secret. Hoping a day off does it for Panda and that he has his breakout during that Midwestern tour.
    Missed the whole game because of heavy thunderstorms in my area, so while Giants pitching was mowing em down, chips and flakes were falling from my current carving project. Looking forward to later in the week when it gets hot hereabouts for the first time this season. Means i can catch up on some very intense, persnickitty carving outdoors in the shade on a piece i haven’t been able to work on since February because of lighting requirements.

• DJLoo said, on June 26, 2011 at 9:11 pm

What part of the Bronx do you live in?

24. unca chuck said, on June 26, 2011 at 9:55 pm

3:19

A record for shortest POTD?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 26, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Chuck, your comments are wild, but Jack London you’re not.

25. Del Mar Dennis said, on June 26, 2011 at 10:36 pm

By hook or crook our Giants have now won 5 in a row. Yet with tonight’s victory, we’ve actually lowered our runs/gm avg to a season low of 3.36. I’d usually say that we were doing that with smoke and mirrors, but that’s not the case at all. Our pitching is impeccable and beyond reproach. Our hitting, however, is a horse of a different color. We’re -4 in the run differential thus far for the year. That ain’t right. I don’t what Pythagoras has to say about that, but I’m guessing it ain’t too good.

The Giants’ season up to date reminds me of a hot streak at the craps table. Everybody is screaming and yelling now as the numbers continue to be rolled. But it’s inevitable what’s gonna happen soon…”7 out! Don’ts you pay. Last come gets some.” WTF is my waitress with my drink…?

26. EdGdsnInExile said, on June 26, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I got to the Philly sports bar (with the Grass Valley CA Giants fan behind bar) when we were up 3-0, so didn’t see a lot. But a couple observations: Hall looks like he’s really appreciating the atmosphere and is making a contribution, and Affeldt was freakin’ lights out. Great to see him so amped. That hook was unhittable. Stewart’s defense–and offense–tonight, and continued heads-up play complemented Mad-Bums’ gem.

• EdGdsnInExile said, on June 26, 2011 at 10:40 pm

That should be ‘the team’s continued heads-up play’…

27. unca chuck said, on June 26, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Nice win, but , . . .

What part of ‘they did this last year’ don’t you get, Dennis?

• Del Mar Dennis said, on June 26, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Chuck, you’re right in one sense. They won it last year with little offense. This year, they have NO Whitey offense to speak of.
      If they can repeat with this offense as currently constructed, I’ll get down on my hands and knees and smoke Sabean’s pole for thinking they could stand pat. The Giants will win standing pat? What’s Sabean’s definition of pat? I don’t think it’s the same as mine. Stand pat? Which pat? What pat? Who’s pat?